Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• heyomarheyomar Member Posts: 6
    Hi. Long time listener. First time caller.

A couple of years ago, I swapped out my stock tires on my 2000 Disco II with a set of BF Goodrich 245/75/16. Ever since then, I get steering wheel vibration at 50-55 mph.

Will a new steering damper magically fix it? Also, is there a problem going with an OME steering damper when I have Bilstein shocks? Or should I get the Bilstein damper?

Doesn't seem like it would be a problem. But you never know. I'll hang up and wait for the answer.
  • turbo44turbo44 Member Posts: 4
    i have a 00 disco II with about 80k miles. it leaks oil, enough to notice but not so much that i'm filling it every week. local dealer asked $5,000 to reseal the whole engine. got another estimate from a different mechanic and they want $3,500 to fix a leaky head gasket. are these unreasonable prices? anyone else had similar problems/quotes?
  • 1st_rover1st_rover Member Posts: 10
    We have a 2003 SE with 52k miles. I have been reading about oil pump failures and the TSB on this issue. Has anyone proactively changed the oil pump in order to ensure that they do not have this problem? Is it an oil pump or engine block issue?

Thanks for the info.
  • botat1botat1 Member Posts: 12
    2001 disco 2, mil 95475 ,noticed oil leak and went to land Rover dealer.They found oil leaking from cylinder head gasket,to remove head and replace all nec seals and gaskets $3095.60 ,to perform valve job $384 "since we are there why not" they also found water pump leaking $965.56 to replace. Note: $317.00 discount if performing repairs at the same time.Aprox time one week,will also loan a dealer car.
    THE END
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    I could probably fly anywhere in the US and install a new water pump for less than $965.

This is nuts. There used to be a RR employee, "Tinman"?, who monitored this site. I would love to hear his thoughts on this.
  • discohaitidiscohaiti Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know the cause of severve vibration when hard braking? I have changed all rotors and Pads and the steering wheel shakes when I brake from high speeds. The truck rides fine otherwise. Any help?
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    That is interesting...

Bad caliper or two maybe?
  • macc24macc24 Member Posts: 20
    It's worth switching the thermostat around...I installed it based on the manual but found the manual was reverse from where it needed to be (the top two hoses). Once I turned the thermostat 180 and reconnected no more overheat problems.

Worth a shot, and takes about 10 minutes to do yourself.
  • dngertraindngertrain Member Posts: 3
    i have a 97 disco, i plan to be towing something, the wiring is located inside the vehicle in the compartment on the right side. isn't there suppose to be one on the outside. or i am missing part on the picture???
  • drawlingsdrawlings Member Posts: 11
    I just purchased a 2000 Discovery II and am facing a $3K engine rebuild for the same leaking problem. It's actually in pieces right now t the mechanic. LandRover dealer wanted $8K.
  • madelynmadelyn Member Posts: 2
    Were you also experiencing surges in RPM while driving? I am having almost exact same issues, but before all the lights come on and start blinking, the gears will jump all over the place. My regular mechanic is stumped and am dreading the trip to the LR dealer where they are certain to tell me my car will costs thousands to fix. Am interested in more details of your experience.
    I think you meant to link to a different thread. My problems are all about engine & Transmission oil leaks. Haven't had the car long enough to experience RPM surges.
  • calhutchcalhutch Member Posts: 3
    If you are experiencing transmission problems and the m & s lights are coming on in your discovery II, I would suggest putting in a new battery first. It solved my problems. The transmission is electronically controlled and when you have a weak battery the transmission does not function properly. It may not be the problem you have, but it is a good first try that is not extremely expensive.
    Hi,
    I'm looking for inexpensive source for replacement wipers for my 1999 DiscoII.
    Can't figure out how to locate the advice about source for wiper blades. What was the advice?
  • jkmewrightjkmewright Member Posts: 11
    Got mine at Autozone... less than $15
  • namblernambler Member Posts: 1
    My Automatic 2002 Disco has developed a problem of not consistently not selecting 4th gear. I have had the auto serviced and the fluid and filter changed. I can drive on the highway at 3000rpm which is around 100 KPH (60 miles per hour) yet it will not select 4th gear which should drop the rpm to around 2200 rpm. Then 5 to 10 minutes later it will drop into 4th. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • ferrari0f50ferrari0f50 Member Posts: 1
    Im happy to see that im not the only one having this problem as well. I have a 2001 Discovery II, and I have the same problem. However my situation is worse. When I purchased my vehicle, the previous owner said that she had the 60,000 mile service tune up, but instead of taking it to a dealership to have the work completed (about $750 bill) she took it to some chop shop and was charged $350. However the chop shop didnt do the service correctly, they didnt change the brake fluid correctly, rather they just "topped it off" and now Im stuck with replacing the modulator myself since the brake fluid wasnt changed and the warranty company will not repair the problem. The dealerships are no help and they are not willing to help me with my problem either. I took it to a local mechanic, one who I trust, and he cheaply replaced the valves for ($160), but he said that it will probably come back. About one month later, the problem has come back. He said that its not a "hazardous problem if you dont take the vehicle off road much" but its an annoying problem that is expensive to fix and when you go to sell the vehicle, prospective buyers will probably notice. He said that the dealerships and the warranty companies say its a brake fluid problem, its not, its just a bad design, the shuttle valves should be on the side of the modulator, not the bottom. My advise to you is to get the modulator replaced ASAP before your warranty matures. Like my situation, replacing the valves only delays the problem. It is likely it will come back. My suggestion is to go to a local mechanic and have him initiate the warranty claim. In my experience, the dealerships dont want to deal with warranty work as they dont derive much money because the warranty companies only pay a certain amount for labor. In short the dealerships just dont give a [non-permissible content removed] and will always jerk you around. Call the warranty company yourself and see what they say. Service advisor's just dont care most of the time. But get it replaced ASAP. Even then, if they replace with a new modulator the problem can come back. Again its just a bad design. My mechanic said that this should have been a recall problem, and it probably will be in the future, its just a mater of when. I hope this helps.
    The brake fluid issue is certainly curious. I just purchased a 99 Disco II with 80K and noticed in the owner's manual that it calls for the brake fluid to be replaced. The brakes seemed a bit mushy so I figured the previous owner overlooked that instruction. My mechanic reluctantly agreed to do the job (never heard of doing that as a routine maintenance thing on other cars). Later he told me that the fluid came out black - couldn't believe how nasty it looked. Brakes are a little better. Wonder why the fluid gets so dirty?
  • ca770ca770 Member Posts: 16
    Hello experts! I am really glad that I found this website. I need help and advise regarding me beloved 2003 Discovery.
    We purchased the car in February 07 with 44,000 miles (The Disco is under extended warranty). We drove it for a month then the engine developed a ticking/knocking noise. I took it to the LR dealership (later I found out their reputation is not that great) in the beginning of April. Two and a half months later, we got it back. They dropped in a brand new 4.6 tripped engine because “cylinder #6 has low compression”. The service manager said the tripped engine includes “the block, piston, connecting rods, camshaft, oil pump, front cover and oil pan”. I noticed the ticking/knocking noise is still there but a lot more quite. The service guy said ticking and knocking is a “character” of the rover engine. I am not buying what he said. It is a new engine, how could it tick and knock? The only reasonable explanation I can come up with is they did not give me a new engine, they only cleaned my old one. I took it to an independent LR service shop in town to have them take a look, they looked at it for 10 minutes and could not determine if the engine is new. They said in order to drop in the new engine; the front clip or the hood has to be taken off. But there is no sign of that. The serial number on the “new” block looks dirty. On the other hand, the oil pan and front cover is really shinny and looked new, and the Disco is consuming a lot more fuel which could be a sign of a new tight engine. The independent shop said the only way to tell is taking the engine apart. Since my extended warranty repair has to be approved by APCO, I called them to require some information. APCO said they only approved an engine repair, not replacement.
    I guess my million dollar question is “how do I know the engine is really new”?
    Thanks in advance.
  • landrover123landrover123 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I just bought a discovery HSE7 and i was wondering how I change the display on the rear view mioior from the direction to the outside temp ok tanks bye
  • tballertballer Member Posts: 19
    Any idea how much a 2000 Land Rover Discovery II with 53,000 miles should go for? I have a trade in quote for $5000 but think it is worth much more.

It has a lot of features, TV, rear air, etc.

Any help would be great.
    Check out Kelley Blue Book. It shows $5,500 for your vehicle in "fair" condition as the trade in my zip area of Eastern LI, NY. I recently bought a 99 Disco II for $7,000 from a private party that I thought was in tip top shape. I've put in more than $3K motor and transmission work since and wish I had paid a dealer $8K or $9K for the benefits of having them stand behind it. My guess is that this is why they offer such a low number.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You can Appraise it here.

I don't know all your options, color, etc. but in my zip code the range for an average Disco II of that vintage with "some" options runs $7,318 trade-in to $9,858 dealer retail.

You can get yet another opinion in the Real-World Trade-In Values discussion. They'll also tell you in there that books don't buy cars. :shades:
  • velmar4423velmar4423 Member Posts: 1
    Truck runs great, but there is a serious power drain. Drawing any power (lights, radio, wipers etc.) causes all the dash components and any other features using power to cut out or operate poorly, often. Example. braking while listening to the radio causes it to cut out, and turning on the heat/cooling system fan steals power from the headlights. Anyone ever deal with anything like this. Looking for some advice before my Mechanic cleans me out.

Thanks in advance
  • 1st_rover1st_rover Member Posts: 10
    Has anyone replace a headlight gasket in a 2003/2004 Landrover Discovery II? I can get the headlight assembly out but it is not obvious how to open it and replace the gasket. Thanks in advance.
  • curly123curly123 Member Posts: 1
    I engaged the alarm before going to a store lastnight, when my family got in the Discovery my wife said the light for the alarm was blinking, the one that is displayed on the Land Rover radio. I started the Discovery and there was some knocking then all of a sudden it just cut off. I tried starting it again probably about 10 times. The man I purchased it from told me to remove the cables from the battery so the alarm could reset itself. The alarm did finally reset itself, so I tried to start it again and it still didn't start. I engaged the alarm again and this time it didn't engage. Earlier on the same day my blinkers were not working so I had to use my emergency lights {four way flashers}. Could it be the computer? The Discovery has also been overheating after driving it for a while in the heat.
  • abutomaabutoma Member Posts: 21
    I very much feel with you. I had my Disco at the workshop for 4 months without any result (starting problems)
    Now: you have to give a bit more info:
    Is it a Disco I or II?
    "starting" did the engine cranck or not when you tried?
    Have you checked ALL fuses?
    What is happening when you lock the doors with the remote?
    And when you open?
    What lights are on on the dashboard when trying to start?
    Have you tried the emergency procedure for disengaging the alarm and the spider?
    It is better to give more info than less
    kind regards
    Abutoma
  • awilcoxawilcox Member Posts: 1
    Hi! You seem to know a lot about the discovery, I just purchased an 04 with 32,000 miles on it and I"m debating on the extended warranty? I just purchased it and have had it back to the dealership(denver east) twice and I've only had the car 1week. Your right though t and d are awesome! My disco has the factory warranty until Aug of 08 and the extended would go until 2010. Any advice would be great, I don't like hearing all the problems that could happen but I do love the vehicle. Thanks
    Angie
    Just greasing up some of the points under my disco II...anyone know how many pumps to give so not to blow a seal?

Thanks,

MC
  • radek1radek1 Member Posts: 1
    I have 01 Discovery and have the exactly same problem with overheating , could you please tell me what was the problem you had ? did you got it fixed and how much they charged for it ? Somebody told me that could be crack in the head or sleve or even engine block . Thank you.
  • lad62lad62 Member Posts: 1
    help :( I have a Landrover disco2 series and I am in the process of removing the head so I can replace the gaskets problem is I can't get the head bolts offs, even with an impact rench that I rented. can someone tell me what I should use that can make removing these bolts simpler
  • kapookapoo Member Posts: 1
    I love the looks of the Discovery II
    I can say im in love with it.
    I'm thinking in buying a 2002 LR Disco II
    for 12,895 it says that price can be negotiated.
    It has 60,000 miles.
    So I've heard a lot of people who says that LR aren't
    so good at all. They say that it brokes eventually.
    Im very confused. BUT I LOVE IT! :(
    Can you help me? What do you suggest me?
    It is true what they say?
    If I take care of the LR would it break easily?
    It would be my first car... and its the only SUV i like in the moment.
  • valleyladvalleylad Member Posts: 1
    if you find out the problem with the ABS TC and hill decent lights can you let me know the same lights have just come on on my td5 thanks dale
    I'm having the same ABS lights problem with my 99 Disco. Here are some words written some time ago by another guy.:

"When it's going, it's a great machine, but you really need to be a genius to chase failure symptoms to the actual fault (or have an Autologic or Testbook). I have made use of a very broad selection of swearwords and a broader amount of cash getting this littany of faults rectified.

HDC/TC and ABS lights / The Three Amigos. I had two causes of this about 6 months apart. This fault was intermittant to start with. My garage kept resetting the computer and they would stay off for a few weeks as the faults were caused by the SLABS computer log filling up with faults relating to power. This was traced to the alternator putting out a slightly lower voltage than required. The alternator eventually failed completely so I replaced it (John Deere supply an alternator which is identical to the Landrover one but is half the price) This cured the ABS/HDC/TC faults for about 6 months.

The lights returned and this time I needed to replace the ABS Valve Body. There is a part replacement if you can get someone keen to take it on, otherwise see if you can part exchange your existing one. The price from a dealer for a new one is painful. You can still drive the car with the three amigos lit but you have no ABS or TC. Bear that in mind."

I have not yet solved the problem in my Disco II.
    Not sure if anyone else saw this excellent message from JE Robison Service company but it really goes into depth about the darned triple brake warning light problem.

http://www.robisonservice.com/articles/RonR_aug2006.asp
  • intensityderenintensityderen Member Posts: 22
    What I can tell you is only buy a 2003 or newer. A TON of problems were fixed with that year including a better engine. The 99-02 has a modified GM Buick V8 that has an issue with build-up on the heads. Seriously, you have to gun it to reach 5-6000 RPMS at least once a month to prevent that or $3000. The 2003 got a more powerful and reliable engine with more power and VERY slightly better gas mileage. The 99-02 also experienced a common problem with the shuttle valve on the ABS Modulator which, if failed will cost $1500. The Driveshaft commonly wears out (mine twice) at a cost of about $900 each. The main coolant pipe distribution assembly from the Water Pump was improved on the 03 models. It costs $125 for the dealer to hook up the truck to their computer and there are only 2 shops here that have that Testbook program, so I have no idea why my 2000 Disco II SRS (Airbags) light came on and stayed on. I checked all the fuses and reset the power but it still comes on. Let's hope I don't crash! The most issues I have had are related to the cooling system and guess what? Everytime I replace a failed part it has been improved! They realized it stunk and fixed it - thanks for letting us know! Hurricane Charley hit here in Orlando and knocked down trees and poles on every street in 2004. Good thing I had a rugged 4x4! Oops! Forgot - a tiny little coolant valve coupling failed on the top of the engine the next morning and the Disco was useless!. The thermostat failed last week because it is made of cheap plastic where the lip that holds the clamp tight disintegrates and the hoses fall off. Don't forget about the main coolant hose distribution assembly that failed on Interstate 4, and I thought I could make it to the next exit with the Temperature light on - WRONG - that overheated and ruined the top half of the engine at $3000. The Discovery requires premium gas and I have to fill it up at least once a week at $65 - gas mileage isn't so good....Then there are the dual sunroofs - really cool until the plastic gets brittle on the drainage tube coupling and the drainage tubes fall off and water/rain runs through the top of the headliner and you get soaked when it comes down the seatbelts, windshield and dome light assembly. Not done yet - with the Florida sun and heat, it creates hot, steamy moisture inside which dislodges all of the headliner glue and the fabric falls down all over. The foglight bulbs burned out, but they get so hot that that the bulb fuses to the plug, so you have to buy the ENTIRE assembly for $200 each side. I elected to go without. If you have the SLS (Self-Leveling Suspension), it is really cool - you can make the truck go up or down and it doubles as a low-rider, UNTIL the Inflatable Air Springs/Shocks wear out, crack and fail, then you have a truck that sags on one side when parked until the spring fails completely and then you are bouncing all over the place and avoiding any bumps. The dealer charges $500 each side to replace them, but if you are mechanically inclined you can replace them for $200 each side with the Original Manufacturer's shock available from AtlanticBritish.com. You can buy the Contech air spring w/o the Land Rover logo for $200, or the same one with GENUINE Land Rover logo for $400. Of course I decided to go cheap the first time and ordered some other brand which failed after 14 months, fresh out of warranty. BTW - Because it is all-time 4 wheel drive, you must always replace 4 tires at once and there is also a common issue with the transfer case leaking. Oh, and 3 weeks ago mine went crazy and started blowing the horn and flashing lights at 3am - woke the whole neighborhood up - how nice that was!
    On the positive side, it is very SAFE - I was hit by a Saturn doing 70 MPH in my first '99 Disco II and all three of us walked out and the truck still drove....The saturn owner wasn't so lucky and has metal knees now....They totaled that one cause the frame was bent. I also noticed that for some reason police don't seem to want to pull you over, or they let you go with a warning in this truck - that never happened before! Who knows!
    The Disco is also very capable off road and there are Land Rover clubs and Land Rover Dealer events where you can try it out and compete. That was fun. Geez - did I answer your questions? Good Luck!
    Hi There,

Bad news - those lights are on because your ABS Modulator, the pump that pulses brake fluid to keep your brakes/tires from locking up has failed. This is a common issue that LR, in my opinion should have issued a recall. But since those features TC ABS and HD aren't mandated by the DOT, and because the part is so expensive, it ensures that they won't do the right thing. A small shuttle valve gets stuck inside and the entire thing is useless. No serviceable parts - NICE! It is about a $2000 job for the dealer to fix. I dealt with it for a year before I found a new one on eBay (probably fell off a truck) for $400. BEWARE - you CANNOT buy a used one because once removed, the brake fluid corrodes the inside. It cost me $400 to have the dealer install it and they WILL NOT do it unless it is in the foil sealed bag. I found that out after I bought one from a parts dealer for $150 - down the drain! Now my SRS (Airbags) light is on - oh boy! Let's hope I don't crash! By the way, for the complete, entertaining story, look up my other post - intensityderen - it is lovely!
    Hi There - I know that when my 2000 Disco II overheated, and I waited till the next exit on I4 - it ruined the top half of the engine (Bad Idea). The dealer had to keep it an extra day because 2 of those bolts sheared off and he had to drill out and retap the holes. He was NOT happy about it. I guess the best thing you can do is get as much of that loosening spray (better than WD40 at the auto parts store) and let it soak for at least one night. Good Luck! You also might want to speak to a LR mechanic at 5:30 when they get off work and tip him out for the advice - I do that occasionally, give 'em $20 for his time and some times he hooks me up with something extra when my truck HAS to go to the dealer, like an ABS sensor for free, etc.
  • mlollermloller Member Posts: 3
    I have not had any luck with tires on my 02 Discovery. Previous tires seem to last less than 20k miles. I am ready to purchase new tires for the 3rd time. Any recommendations for 18" all season tires?
    Hi There - I travel almost 50 miles to work each way, so I am right there with 'ya. The best tires I have found in 7 years for my Disco II are the Michelin Synchrone brand. They are standard equipment on the Range Rover. I bought them at Costco for about $800. They run a tire promo of $60 off a set of 4 every couple months, so call to check. They also include free lifetime balance and rotation and road hazard warranty and I believe that is the key. Keep those puppies rotated every 5000 miles religiously and they will DEFINITELY last longer.
  • mlollermloller Member Posts: 3
    I am now a believer in tire rotation. I currenrtly have the Michelin Synchrone but they have what I consider unacceptable wear due to not rotating. I am done with the LR dealerships and will be rotating my next set of tires regularly. Thanks for the advice.
  • lightcahilllightcahill Member Posts: 22
    Take a look at Cooper Discovery tires. I've had mine on now for about 13,000 miles. Less expensive than many others. Did a fine job in last winter's many deep Denver snowstorms. I pull a 20 foot Trail-Lite RV trailer. Never had any problems with them.
  • mrtoad3mrtoad3 Member Posts: 68
    Tires on most heavy SUV's wear very quickly. I found the original Goodyear Wranglers on my '01 DII to last 17K with lots of cupping despite rotations. Next I tried Bridgestone Blizzaks LM-22's ($1200, phenomenal snow traction)and got better wear up to 25K miles. The current set of tires are General Grabber A/T's and also great snow traction and least wear so far. They were the least expensive too. TireRack shipped them to my front door for about $650 and I had local Big-0 install for $80. They are fairly beefy and great off-road too.
    We have the Michelin Synchromes($1250) on our '05 RR and they are desperately needing replacement now at 25K miles. I think we'll try the Pirelli Snow and Ice SUV tires next. It used to be difficult to find snow or all-weather tires for 18" rims but it's easier nowadays. Hope this helps. Nokian now makes SUV tires in 18" so check those out.
  • alacey007alacey007 Member Posts: 4
    Can anyone give any suggestions as to why these warning lights may have come on as a result of? Car has been stalling before it starts a little for the last month. It finally gave out last night. It was just at the dealership not even 30 days for a tune up, and it would not start. The night before last, when I was drving all of a sudden the manual mode and sport mode lights came on for a quick second, but than went off when I restarted the car. When I looked up the warning light signal and definitions in the manual, it stated that it was an indication of electrical fault with the automatic gearbox. Now, I have no idea what that means, and I was just wondering if someone could explain why that would happen, and if it is covered under the extended warranty.

Also, do you know if you can get an extended warranty for a discovery 2003 HSE7 for over 100,000 miles. I saw somehwere that landrover has warranties up to 120,000 miles. Has anyone ever heard of it, because the dealship stated that 100,000 is the maximum.

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    An electrical or electronic fault with the electronic gearbox could be any of a wiring defect (i.e., short circuit), a malfunctioning computer chip or faulty sensors (speed, engine load, temperature, elevation etc.).

For questions regarding extended warranties head on over to Land Rover Extended Warranty.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • alacey007alacey007 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the information. I will look into that, and thanks for the warranty info.

Thanks
  • calhutchcalhutch Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 Discovery SE and had the same problem with the M & S lights. My battery had been week prior to the lights coming on and my gearbox finally went into the "limp home" mode. I bought a new battery and it solve the problem. Since the gearbox on the Discovery is electronically controlled, you can have problems if your battery goes bad. You should at least test your battery before you spend a ton of money with a mechanic. Let me know if it works for you.
    my 99 disco II headliner is falling....any idea on how much to replace it will be?

Cheers,

MC
    Hi There - to have the headliner replaced by the dealer will run you a minimum of $600 if you do not have the rear A/C option, otherwise it will cost around $800. I removed my headliner (with rear A/C) on my own and took it to a local shop which had the larger fabric available for $150. It is important to "blow out" or reconnect the sunroof drain tubes with silicon or superglue at the same time as these can commonly fail and cause devastating leaks. The headlining replacing company will need a sample of the tan plastic to recreate the factory headliner. Best of luck!
  • rovergirlrovergirl Member Posts: 3
    Hi im new 2 all this i own a 2004 discovery landrover. with in the last 2 months my brakes have been acting up. Totally screaching. I live n Az i have called my dealer and they have told me 2 wash them with soap and power hose them. I have one that @ least 5x. They have told me that it is just dust in my brakes. They have continued on making that embarassing noise. I bought my a lil over a year ago. @ 8600 miles. Right now it is about 2 roll over 2 24000 miles. The dealership also told me that a light would turn on if the brake pads where out. & that it also has to do with how it is driven. I own my my own buisness so i hrdly ever drive it. Its never been n 4x. The owners b4 me where snow birds and never drove it. They where an older couple. Do u have any suggestions? Ty T@ylor