Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Suspension and Ride

13»

Comments

• atarkaatarka Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 gmc sierra 4x4 slt crew cab it shakes really bad (steering wheel goes from left to right) when getting on the brakes. I already replaced the tires,tierods,(inner & outer) brakes and rotors!$$$$$$$$
    Doesn't feel like warped rotors because steering wheel shakes from side to side!
    Can someone help? Spending too much $$$$$
  • atarkaatarka Member Posts: 2
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Have you checked the balljoints and control arms?
  • alc8alc8 Member Posts: 4
  • alc8alc8 Member Posts: 4
    how involved is it to replace the front wheel bearing housing? what is the torque on the axle nut? any others things to look out for?
  • corny_04963corny_04963 Member Posts: 10
    I have had some front end "rattles" at low speed when travelling out my dirt road which has a few bumps. Quiet on paved roads. On inspecting under the front end for loose shock, etc. I was surprised to find what appears to be a "crack" in the lower LH control arm right where the torsion bar mounts. It is almost perfectly halfway up so I thought this must have been made in two pieces bolted together but I do not see the crack on the other (front) side. I also did not find any seam or crack on the RH side. I wondered if this is a casting seam, or if it really is a crack it is not in a very good spot as failure would be problematic. Anyone ever seen a cracked lower control arm??? Never plowed- only has the little 4.3 V6 engine.????? Only 51K miles with Tow Package. Never any accidents.
  • walimowalimo Member Posts: 2
    i installed air bags on the rear of my truck.Should have done this a long time ago. The ride is awsome & can handle anything i pull.
  • norcalgmcnorcalgmc Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 2WD, regular cab Sierra, does anyone have any suggestions for finding a lift kit for this model? I don't want to go very extreme, just give it a little more ground clearance. The one problem I'm going to run into is that I previously lowered the rear end of the truck (had the front leaf spring hangers cut off and I'm not sure how many bolts are needed to reattach them to the frame since the factory rivets were cut out)

Any ideas?
  • mjcntnmjcntn Member Posts: 2
  • mjcntnmjcntn Member Posts: 2
    Hello all,

I'm struggling to find the parts I'm looking to replace on my '95 Chev 3500 2wd. Quick story; the spare's winch cable rusted & broke, and allowed the wheel to jump up and knock the driver's side rear shock absorber. The impact broke the Shock Mount Bracket free from the rearmost cross member of the truck frame.

I've found replacement mounting brackets (small U-shaped piece of steel), but because the original bracket broke away, it will be difficult to (reliably) reattach the replacement.

I would like to replace the actual cross member component, but haven't had any luck with the GM dealership or general parts distributors.

Aside from the junkyard, any ideas on where I might be able to find what I'm looking for?

As far as I know, the frame might be the same on all 2500 & 3500 truck frames, between '89 and '98. If it comes down to the salvage yard, is there anything in particular I should look for/ avoid?
  • harmon1833harmon1833 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2010
    My 2009 Silverado (bought in January of 2010 with 9 miles), has less than 14,000 miles on it and the front end has ate the inner tred off. The dealer says it's my fault because i didn't have the tires rotated at 6,000 and 12,000 miles and that I would have known there was a problem if I had brought it to them (45 minutes from the town I live in) to have the services done. Now they want me to pay for an alignment, and say that the tires have to be replaced immediately because they are on the verge of a blowout. Anyone else had to have an alignment on new vehicle with less than 14,000 miles?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    What the dealer said is true. If you had the tires rotated at the recommended interval, someone would have discovered that the tires were wearing unevenly and would have recommended an alignment at that time. It doesn't take much to throw off a vehicle's alignment. Bumping into a curb could do it due to the weight of the vehicle.

One other thing though, I think you could get a better price and service from a tire dealer rather than have the dealer do it. Some dealers have the tires subbed out to a tire dealer for installation and alignment rather than do it themselves.

Since I have a friend who owns a shop with an alignment machine, I have mine's checked within the first thousand miles just to be safe as it ultimately is your responsibility.
  • pondrockerpondrocker Member Posts: 18
    Hi, Had the exact same thing with the front tires happen on my 2008 Sierra although I did have mine rotated every 5,000 -7,000 miles & then neglected for too many miles at which time it was noticed & an alignment preformed. I agree an ailgnment at low mileage seems strange, maybe ours came from the factory that way?. I am a stickler about tire care so to me it was just me being lazy as I usually rotate quite often, highly recommended for many reasons. Good luck!
  • harmon1833harmon1833 Member Posts: 2
  • baldmantruckinbaldmantruckin Member Posts: 9
  • baldmantruckinbaldmantruckin Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2007 silverado Classic with only 50,000 miles on it, and am having the lower balljoints replaced today. The garage doing the job is a friend ...so it is not like they are pulling a fast one. I am just wondering if any one else has had a similar issue with balljoints wearing this soon. I bought the truck from a dealer 2 years ago with 17,000 miles and it was used by the dealer so it has been treated well by them, as well as myself. Just curious...seems like balljoints normally don't wear with only 50,000 miles ??
  • slamdanceslamdance Member Posts: 6
  • slamdanceslamdance Member Posts: 6
    2000 Silverado LS Ext cab. I started hearing a noise going over bumps. Looked underneath this morning and saw that the back end of the left side torsion bar is no longer attached to the frame. The bracket that holds the crossmember rusted away from the frame. This appears to be riveted to the frame. I'm trying to find a part number for this piece. Any help?
  • 07chevz7107chevz71 Member Posts: 2
  • 07chevz7107chevz71 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Silverado z71... it only has 77,000 miles on it and i have two broken leaf springs. The middle leaf springs on both sides snapped in half and i don't even put weight in the back, and i don't go off road.... i ocasionally tow snomobiles, and i'm sure not ruff on it. I took it to the Chevrolet dealer in Ithaca, NY and they told me that they just replaced the same ones on a 09 silverado with only 30,000 miles on it today. when i pulled it into the garage for them to look at it, the woman at service said to the technician " guess what is wrong with this truck" and the technician replied " leaf springs?" it seems like they must have a lot of problems with them and im wondering if anyone else has had this problem, or if there is anything they are doing to fix the problem with them breakin so easy. It is covered under the GM Protection Plan Warranty, but im afraid that they will eventually do it again, and by then my warranty will be up and ill be stuck fixin them myself... it doesn't sound like an easy fix either... the technician told me that he has to drop the gas tank and remove the exhaust just to get to them and replace them
This discussion has been closed.