Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V AC Compressor Problems

Comments

• amwjramwjr Member Posts: 4
    Thought I had read about this problem before, but can now speak from personal experience. Wife's '02 CR-V EX has been meticulously maintained, but went from excellent cooling yesterday to not functioning at all this morning. Unfortunately we were on vacation in Panama City, FL, and had a 5+ hour trip home today, with temps upwards of 98 degrees F. We have ~72K miles on the car. Will be calling our dealer tomorrow morning, looking for assistance. Daughter has a new '09 CR-V, and we've bought a couple of Accords, so we're going to play the loyalty card. Will post dealer response and estimated costs when available.
  • sailnmansailnman Member Posts: 1
    I just checked the VIN on my CRV and find it begins with a "J". I might add that I have owned 8 Hondas and this is the only one we've had serious a/c problems with.
  • amwjramwjr Member Posts: 4
    Mine also begins with the 'J.' (Reference #1139)
  • s_cs_c Member Posts: 1
    The same happened to me. I have a 2004 CRV. My dealer contacted Honda for me and got the price down from $5000 to $2900. The stupid car only worth about $8000 - $9000 now and I have to spend $2900 to fix it.

This is really a common issue with CRV, the dealer diagnosed my car said they see this happen very often. In fact they just negotiated a deal for a customer the day before, and there's another case on the same day I took my car in.

My family owns 3 Honda (civic, accord and my CRV). Very bad experience this time, guess I'll go with Toyota next time.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    guess I'll go with Toyota next time.

And they have engine sludge issue...

I guess, that leaves you with Buick then...
  • pamybpamyb Member Posts: 1
    I took my car to a Honda dealership to have my oil changed and the service professional told me that it was time to have my AC and Transmission serviced. :sick: I did not have the time or the money so I said that I would bring it back.

Well a week later the AC stopped blowing cold air. :surprise:

I took my car to my mechanic today and found out that the compressor (and something else) needs to be replaced and it would cost about $1400.00 :mad:

I guess I should have had the AC serviced when Honda suggested it in order to avoid this expensive hicup :cry:
  • jpettibonejpettibone Member Posts: 51
    No matter than Blueyedgod says, it would not have helped. It's unrelated.
  • tombs31tombs31 Member Posts: 4
    I stand corrected. I must say though that it has been years since they stepped up to the plate.
  • dwkinseydwkinsey Member Posts: 11
    I bought my 2003 CR-V EX new in May 2003 and my VIN begins with S. I just moved to central Florida and my A/C stopped working without warning in February. I think I had about 65,000 miles on it at the time. I didn't know about this problem and apparently Honda has not issued any TSB about it either. I took it to my son who is a mechanic with his own shop, but he is about 1.5 hours away. He replaced the compressor, which took about 5 hours because of having to disassemble much of the engine to get to it. It lasted about 2 months and it stopped working again. I took it back to my son and found the compressor had a hole blown in it. He installed another new one, but it immediately got hot and nothing was going through the system, so he disconnected it and told me I have to replace the entire system, which I have not been able to do. I bought a Honda because it was supposed to be a reliable vehicle. I am very angry that a company like Honda would put a junk part like this in one of their vehicles and not recall it. What makes it so bad is not just the compressor failure, but that the compressor fails in such a way that it destroys the entire A/C system. There's no excuse for Honda's refusal to care for their customers.
  • early2early2 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2 Hondas, a 2004 Pilot and 2002 crv. Both are dealer maintained and in great condition. Last week the crv ac went 'pop' and the engine stalled. Took car (110,000 miles) to dealer and was qoted $3400 to 'replace the entire system, except the electrical.' I told them this was rediculous. They said because I was a regular and good customer they would contact Honda America to get some help on the price. Honda America wanted to reduce price by $1000. I said goodbye.
    Will be taking car to an ac shop where I was quoted $1400 to replace some components and flush out others (hoses, etc).
    I've owned many, many cars in my lifetime and never had a compressor explode like a "grenade" which is the way Honda service rep explained it.
    Will probably go Korean next time to get the 10yr, 100,000 mile warranty.
    Will probably go Korean next time to get the 10yr, 100,000 mile warranty.

A) you would be outside of the Korean's warranty as well with 110,000 miles

B) 10 year / 100,000 mile warranty does not cover A/C.

Good luck.
    I bought a Honda because it was supposed to be a reliable vehicle. I am very angry that a company like Honda would put a junk part like this in one of their vehicles and not recall it.

A/C is a luxury. I bet you that your Honda still starts and run every day, just as it is intended to do.

Would you rather have a functional A/C and wheels that fall off when cornering? Engines that sieze? Transmissions that lock up? Electrical ghosts? Windshield wiper motors that catch on fire?.....
  • nlv1nlv1 Member Posts: 28
    Hey, blueidgod, I bet you can say "A/C is a luxury" from up there in Buffalo.

You just can't grasp the fact that most of the compressors in question literally exploded and owners (especially of 5-6 yr old cars with average or below average miles) are only questioning the quality (or location) of the compressor.

I have a 15 yr old Accord with more than 100k miles that has an A/C that still works like it did on day 1. Will it one day lose performance and even stop working altogether? Of course. Will I fault Honda? Of course not, because I believe that Honda put in a quality compressor in this case based on the age and the mileage of the car. But I don't expect the compressor to explode and have a hole and scatter "shrapnel" all over the engine bay.

I just hope you don't experience the same thing with your 2005. I think 2003/2004 AC compressors have the same part number as 2005's. But then, you can afford not to have A/C up there.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    A/C is a luxury.

That's certainly not true in Phoenix, Arizona or Blythe, California. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    A/C is certainly not a luxury in central Florida! For the last month, the heat index has been 100-110 degrees F. Add to that I am disabled and I cannot tolerate extreme heat. So I either stay home, ride with someone else, or pray for rain. Had I known about this problem, I would not have bought a CR-V. Unfortunately Honda does not even document the problem anywhere. Most known vehicle problems are documented in Alldata, but not this problem. My mechanic son uses Alldata and it was not there. It showed how to replace the compressor but that's all. I saw it myself.
  • jpettibonejpettibone Member Posts: 51
    Look, I'm going to say this once and quit, and I understand that this is essentially a flame at this point. Blueiedgod, we all understand your viewpoint by now. Please stop agitating people who are justifiably upset with your judgmental and biased views. Unless you have something new to add, let your argument stand based on your previous posts and move on. No one who searches this topic can fail to find your viewpoint. I, for one, am sick and tired of your "tis only a flesh wound" approach to this. It is possible for Honda to produced a flawed product. By all objective standards, the 2002-2005 Honda CR-V has a handful of flaws- some significant, some minor. Let's let people continue to post their issues without talking down to them or acting like it's their fault.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    This guy, excuse me blue eyed goddess, must work for Honda or one of their dealers. What a cop out to avoid admitting that Honda has engineering and quality problems like everyone else. A/C on CRV is a major problem and shouldn't be happening on 5 or 6 year old cars with less than 100K PERIOD! Honda has also had a lot of apparent transaxle issues. Evidently Honda used to step up to the plate on these matters but is now becoming more like D3. So much for differentiating their company from the competition! If Hyundai keeps its customer focus and continues to improve quality as well, I can see Japan joining Detroit in the future.
    Let's avoid making each other the topic and focus on compressor issues instead.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • tabanowatabanowa Member Posts: 7
    I agree that A/C on CRV is a MAJOR problem and should NOT be happening on 5 or 6 year old cars with less than 100K!!! And it DOES appear that back in 2006 and 2007 they were often covering this problem 100%, but now they are not. In my case, they have agreed to cover 75%, but that's still leaving with me with a $750 repair, which I can't afford!! I'm probably going to have to go into debt over it because A/C is essential in the climate where I live. arghhhhhhh...
    maybe this really is cause for a class action lawsuit??
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I agree that A/C on CRV is a MAJOR problem and should NOT be happening on 5 or 6 year old cars with less than 100K!!! And it DOES appear that back in 2006 and 2007 they were often covering this problem 100%, but now they are not. "

I don't work for Honda, but I did own a 2003 EX for several years. My A/C did not fail while I owned the car.

In 2006 and 2007, the problem cars were only 2-3 years old, so I'm not surprised that they covered more of them.

I still suspect that owners got a LOT more response than they would have received from one of the big three in such a situation.

I think that most people expect better quality from Honda - I concur that 100K is just not right for what appears to be a large scale problem (as opposed to an isolated incident with a few cars).

RE: Lawsuit. The vehicles are out of warranty, I don't see a claim here... there is no written or implied warranty on the A/C lasting longer than 3 years / 36K miles, unless you bought an extended warranty, in which case the mileage/time would be whatever was purchased.
    RE: Lawsuit. The vehicles are out of warranty, I don't see a claim here... there is no written or implied warranty on the A/C lasting longer than 3 years / 36K miles, unless you bought an extended warranty, in which case the mileage/time would be whatever was purchased.

Not necessarily - possibly a latent defect matter.
  • jim333jim333 Member Posts: 4
    My air conditioner went out on my vacation three weeks ago. I have visited three Honda dealers and am now about to pay over $2000 to fix it. I will get a one year warranty for this outrageous price. I have 52000 miles on this car, and I will have to say it is the worst automobile I have owned since my 1979 Ford Mustang. That was the car that pushed me into the Japanese market. I have owned Toyotas since then, but was persuaded by Consumer Reports to buy a Honda. What a terrible mistake. In addition to the failed air conditioner, I had to buy a new oxygen sensor (500 dollars) and my door locks will not work. Ever try to replace the air filter on these turkeys? Good luck. Honda Customer Service is worthless and will only make you angrier. When I finally unload this junk, I will go back to Toyota.
    Toyota has a D3 attitude toward customers, but my experience is that their cars are better than the Honda's I've owned. However, both are noticeably cheapening to me, so perhaps Ford, Hyundai (and maybe GM) can catch up.
    Yes. I agree that the quality is slipping on all Japanese cars. The Koreans are trying to make it big, and Ford is just trying to survive. Both have made good impressions on Consumer Reports lately. I will definitely shop both of those companies, Hyundai and Ford, as well as Toyota. I am still floored by my experience with Honda, though. You don't expect to get a Chrysler when you buy a Honda. I also find Honda owners a little more cultish than Toyota drivers. They probably don't fess up to all their problems in surveys, etc.
    My biggest issue with Honda is not just that the compressor fails on these vehicles, but that it DESTROYS THE WHOLE A/C SYSTEM!! I have replaced my compressor twice and still don't have A/C because I can't afford to replace the whole system. How could Honda not know that the compressor is defective? They used the same one for at least 4 years. I have researched the problem and what happens is that the metal clutch rod inside the compressor disintegrates and spreads tiny pieces of metal throughout the whole A/C system. If Honda were a company that cares about their customers, they would have replaced the defective compressors before they failed and destroyed the whole A/C system.
    A/C is certainly not a luxury in central Florida! For the last month, the heat index has been 100-110 degrees F. Add to that I am disabled and I cannot tolerate extreme heat. So I either stay home, ride with someone else, or pray for rain.

Sorry to hear about your disability. However, I think the problem here is deeper than the failed A/C. If the local weather prevents you from leaving your home, why continue living in such environment? Does whatever comfort level you get of living in FL outweigh the possibility of worsening health issues possibly exasurbated by such weather?

I have asthma, and FL, no matter how nice it is in the winter is on the list of states I just can not live. I even moved away from the coastal North East/New England to get away from the humidity, which seems to make my asthma worse. I value my own health more than comfort level of having estblished networks, and connections.

Going from one air conditioned environment to another and not being able to enjoy the outdoors is worse than a prison sentensc, since you have not done anything wrong. Maybe it is time to reconsider FL and enjoy life in the environmnet that is more forgiving to your disability. Just a thought.

Besides, most of FL is below the sea level, with the rising seas, it will be under water in the next 10-15 years... :P
    That's an interesting point and one that could help people who have either not yet experienced this problem or have already bought a whole new ac system. If I had known the damage my compressor was going to cause to the whole system, I would have bought a discount compressor and had it installed by an independent mechanic. This could have been done for about $400 dollars instead of the 2k it costs to replace the entire system. Moral of the story: After about four years or 40 thousand miles replace your compressor, even if it is working properly. If you are on your second compressor, replace it after two or three additional years. It is a shame that you have to do this, but the cost of owning a "reliable" car is skyrocketing!
    Hey, blueidgod, I bet you can say "A/C is a luxury" from up there in Buffalo.

I believe air conditioning has not been invented until the mid-20th centruy. I guess all of the warm climate countries were not populated until then.

Yes, most homes here don't have A/C, and you can find cars on dealer's lots that has no A/C. I installed central air in my house, because it is still too warm for my liking. It is a luxury, not a god given right. If it were, then we would not have to pay for it.

If my A/C fails, I will call Honda and take whatever they offer, because after 3 years, 36,000 miles they are not liable for anything.
    This guy, excuse me blue eyed goddess, must work for Honda or one of their dealers.

No, it is Blue Eyed God, thank you. Not goddess, although if implying that I am a girl makes you feel better, knock your self out. At least all of my vehicles are manual. Man driving an automatic is the same as man wearing a dress or make up. Not that there is anything wrong with that. :P What ever floats your boat.
    Sorry, didn't mean it that way. Should have said "Adonis"!
    most of FL is below the sea level

Not exactly. The average elevation of Florida is 98.43 feet - above sea level. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • lorraylorray Member Posts: 6
    Hello, I'm very sorry to hear about your air conditioner as well and being on vacation. This is my second one that has gone out. My CRV is a 2001 and now has 199,000 miles on it. I have driven this car many miles as you can tell. However, the first one went out at about 75,000 miles. I like this car except for this but I won't be buying another one either. I wish you the best. I don't like going without an air conditioner in the summer as it gets pretty hot here, but at this point I have to as I don't have the money to fix it. Best of luck.
  • galvdudegalvdude Member Posts: 7
    Vehicle now on it's third compressor, the latest at approx. 115,000 miles. I live in eastern SC, so A/C use is not an option and I wouldn't have purchased this vehicle if I knew I would have to limit the use of AC to extend compressor life. I currently own 5 other vehicles, 2 foreign and 3 domestic, with no AC compressor related failures like the CR-V's (some with close to or over 200K miles). So to those who want to say there is some difference in operator or location or use, I have to strongly disagree.

The first failure occurred shortly after I purchased the vehicle as Certified Used in 2005 with a little over 50K miles. At time of failure, had maybe 57K miles. Just a pop and got hot. Glad to have had certified warranty. When I jokingly asked about how often this happens, the service advisor admitted this is a problem common to CR-Vs. Other models have failures they are known for, compressors happen to be what goes bad most often in CR-Vs, I was told. It almost made me want to run to get an extended warranty just to be safe, but I thought, "Hey, surely Honda would have fixed the problem by now." Silly me.

So when it quit again, the same dealership told me that while it wasn't the compressor this time, the clutch or some part of it (I forget) had gone bad. They recommended replacing the entire compressor, but the cheaper option for me was to replace the clutch. Still lots of $$$. Leaving the dealership I was again happy to have AC working, but this lasted less than 4 miles, as the clutch failed to disengage while accelerating on to the interstate, blowing the compressor. So I called the service dept to see what to do and they said to bring it right on back. They put me in a loaner car. The next day, after working with Honda to see what they could do to best help me in this situation, they told me since they had recommended full compressor replacement, they would just charge me for a new compressor, but not the labor again. So they put a defective part on my still OK compressor, which caused my compressor to blow, but this would not have happened if I had gone ahead and just purchased a new compressor from the start even though mine was still fine. Not quite sure I ever understood this logic.

Did it save me any money? No.

Should I sell the car before 150K? I think so to avoid another AC failure expense.

Would I recommend this vehicle to anyone? Not without warranty coverage to include the AC for as long as you plan to own the car. I had full expectations of exceeding 250K on this car with no major problems like this when I purchased this vehicle based on past personal and friends and family Honda ownership. So sad to have to be disappointed in Honda now because of this. This does show up as problem in ratings of used cars in Consumer Reports, as the climate system only gets an average rating instead of the much better to better than average ratings reported on all other Honda vehicles except 03 Pilot and 06 S200 in my 2009 Buying Guide issue.
    Actually I just moved to Florida last fall from the Maryland suburbs of the Washington, DC area. I also have asthma, and I can't really go outside anywhere except in the desert because of severe allergies, so staying indoors is not a big deal. But at least in Florida I don't have to shovel snow or go up and down stairs, as I have a worse problem with the cold than I do with the heat. I purchased my CR-V new in Maryland, which is where I used my A/C the most. I only used it a few times in Florida when it failed, so the Florida heat cannot be blamed for the failure.
    "RE: Lawsuit. The vehicles are out of warranty, I don't see a claim here... there is no written or implied warranty on the A/C lasting longer than 3 years / 36K miles, unless you bought an extended warranty, in which case the mileage/time would be whatever was purchased.

Not necessarily - possibly a latent defect matter. "

I'm not a lawyer, so I would not know of such things. But it seems to me that Honda does not imply any warranty beyond 3 years / 36K miles. If the parts last that long, then Honda is clear. It may be a poor design, but then that is not any different from some Detroit models that only last 100K or so and then fall apart.
    No, you are a blue eyed goddess. Cause a 6-foot person driving a mini/cute SUV, trying hard to be manly looking would look like a goddess (not referring to other tall persons driving this car, this is just for him and his attitude). You can add on all the gadgets you want to your 2005, they won't add to your manliness or lack of it. We have automatics and a manual and I learned to drive a stick shift years before an automatic, each type has its pros and cons. It doesn't make me feel less of a man when I drive an auto. Only persons with inferiority issues ;) should feel that way.

Sorry, just can't resist, this is the 2nd time I've seen this from the goddess... Now back to the compressor issues...
    "most of FL is below the sea level

Not exactly. The average elevation of Florida is 98.43 feet - above sea level. "

Only because of the higher elevations in north and north central FL. I lived in the Miami area for many years, and South Florida up to alligator alley is about 6 feet or so above sea level, if I recall correctly.
    So, what's your point? The complaints here are about a car part prematurely breaking down. If your heater broke down in the winter and your car only has below-average miles, won't you raise the issue with Honda?
    South Florida up to alligator alley is about 6 feet or so above sea level

Of course, which still contradicts the OP's assertion that most of the state is below sea level. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If your heater broke down in the winter and your car only has below-average miles, won't you raise the issue with Honda?

Excellent point. But you have to wonder how many car companies would do anything at all beyond the warranty period. Honda's compressors seem to fail a bit too often, but Honda has gone to bat for a lot of people who have posted on this discussion.

btw, my wife has mild asthma out here in the high desert of Boise. Apparently a climate change helps, but only for about 5 years, after which you acclimate. So it may be most helpful to move every 5 years to keep your system on its toes.
    Hehehe, at least FL still has more than a decade left by your calculation. The way your city is losing its population, you may be the only one there in a few years. Maybe its time to reconsider other places too. Just a thought... ;)
    Hehehe, at least FL still has more than a decade left by your calculation. The way your city is losing its population, you may be the only one there in a few years. Maybe its time to reconsider other places too. Just a thought...

I actually live in Amherst, 3rd populous center in NY state, I believe. At one point Amherst was the safest large town in the whole country for many years, but dropped to No.3 after some religious zealot shot an abortion doctor.

As far as I know, population of Amherst has been growing. So, I am not worried about me being the only person in town. With Geico having moved its Long Island operations to Amherst, as well as Citibank, and now Yahoo (in Lockport) I am pretty sure that in-sourcing is what is going to keep the population growing.

By the way, even though you are too affraid to fill out your profile, and think you can hide behind the annonymity of the internet, I can see that you are writing from the city on the Buffalo Bayou.

So... how's the hurricane outlook for this year?

How does it feel rasiing a 4 year old in the 46th crime ridden city in the country?

Internet is not as annonymous as you may think. We do a lot of business with the oil companies in Houston, so, we may run into each other, one day :)
    No, you are a blue eyed goddess. Cause a 6-foot person driving a mini/cute SUV, trying hard to be manly looking would look like a goddess (not referring to other tall persons driving this car, this is just for him and his attitude). You can add on all the gadgets you want to your 2005, they won't add to your manliness or lack of it. We have automatics and a manual and I learned to drive a stick shift years before an automatic, each type has its pros and cons. It doesn't make me feel less of a man when I drive an auto. Only persons with inferiority issues should feel that way.

Sorry, just can't resist, this is the 2nd time I've seen this from the goddess... Now back to the compressor issues...

Actually, I really wanted the HR-V, but Honda never brought it here. A Civic with AWD would have been fine with me. I don't need a large vehicle to compensate for anything. Before moving to Buffalo I drove a number Civics and was very comfortable.

CR-V is the smallest of the vehicles in Honda line up that offers AWD. Had SHAWD beed avaialable on the TSX, I would have gladly bought that.

I have no inferiority complex, nor have the need to compensate for anything. I just see things as they are, without being politically correct.

Automatic were invented to attract the female buyers, and any male, short of a cripple, driving an automatic is essentially equal to wearing a dress. But, we don't judge in this country, everyone is entitled to do whatever makes them happy.

I also ride, and with the advent of automatic motorcycles, no man with a automatic bike will be allowed no where near a motorcycle rally, or any motorcycle oriented gathering. Only women are allowed in clubs with automatic bikes. But, most choose not to.
    Sorry, didn't mean it that way. Should have said "Adonis"!

Actually, it's Apollo.

Not exactly. The average elevation of Florida is 98.43 feet - above sea level.

Not according to the GPS in the car, and it is pretty accurate when it comes to elevations.

Driving the length of I-95 only bridges and some patches were above the sea level, everything else was either at or below sea level.
    So, what's your point? The complaints here are about a car part prematurely breaking down. If your heater broke down in the winter and your car only has below-average miles, won't you raise the issue with Honda?

If it is out of warranty, I would call Honda corporate and see what they can do. If nothing, I would suck it up and replace it my self.

It is all about being a man, and men when faced with challenges don't run crying to their mommy (lawyer in this case), but do what men do.

Fix it and get on with their lives.
  • misarmisar Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking seriously about buying a 2010 CR-V when it hits the dealer, but since I like to keep a car a long time I am conerned about the AC compressor problem. Has Honda stopped using the faulty compressor on 2009 and /or 2010 CR-Vs? If not I think I will be looking at other makes.
    I don't think the OP mentioned anything about a lawyer in this case. The forum was started for a reason so people are using it to vent.

Fix it and get on with their lives.

I believe that's what the owners are doing whether they've been helped partially, 100%, or not at all. You're not the only man (or woman) here...
    Not according to the GPS

According to WolframAlpha: http://www17.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=florida+average+elevation

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    But, we don't judge in this country, everyone is entitled to do whatever makes them happy.

You hit the nail on the head! I think you always need to keep your statement in mind, because your bias shows your narrow-mindedness. :sick: