Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V AC Compressor Problems

Comments

• nlv1nlv1 Member Posts: 28
    Again your i***cy shows through again. If you just made a search on "nlv1", it will show you that we've exchanged banters before, and on one message (CR-V vs. Escape forum) I did say we live in Houston. It was in 2005, and you were chastising everyone who bought a CR-V with 2WD. And raising a 5-yr old in Katy (a Houston suburb), is just fine.

So again, before you put your foot in your mouth, think before you speak, or write. Will look forward to running into you later...
  • jpettibonejpettibone Member Posts: 51
    Guys and Gals,

All this talk about the elevation of Florida, while very entertaining, is taking away from the record of Honda's poorly designed and engineered AC system. This is the first place most people on the 'net come when they search this topic, so let's try to keep it informative and on topic. Off topic posts will just limit the impact of the myriad of stories catalogued here.

BTW, BlueEyedWhatever's suggestion to move out of Florida if AC is a requirement rather than admit that the AC should simply work was farcical, and worthy of a good laugh.
  • amwjramwjr Member Posts: 4
    Took CR-V to local dealer last Saturday, had it checked, and was told mine was the 'catastrophic' failure that contaminates the entire system with debris. Service Writer volunteered to call American Honda for me, as he had seen this failure before. He did warn me, however, that AH had begun to tighten the purse strings with respect to customer assistance because of the economic downturn. Received follow-up call Monday afternoon. AH denied my request. Said I'd get no support, but they would only charge me "warranty cost" of $2600. I called AH later that day, and all I could get was a "we honor our field rep's decisions." Anyone know of another level of appeal? Have you been successful, or did you get the same response? I also called 3 other Service Managers yesterday (1 in NC; 2 in Ga) and all said Honda had a problem with A/C's. All also essentially said it was discouraging and embarassing to be on the receiving end of AH's recent rejections. They, too, thought Honda was better than this. Any ideas, short of driving the '95 Olds '88 my father-in-law left me, whose A/C works just fine???
    I believe it has been fixed, but it's a bit too early to know for sure. Consumer reports shows that AC reliability increases sharply after the '05 year, and that coincides with the redesign of the CR/V.

If you can live with the engine, I still think the current CR/V is a great car, assuming it won't have AC issues. IMHOP, coming from the 2nd gen CR/V, I felt like they engineered some of the utility out of it, moving the balance more towards minivan and away from ute. Still, the interior quality is much improved, and it looks nice.
    I had the same issue as you two months ago, but I went through a month long appeal at the national level, with no results. The interaction has turned me off of Honda products for a while, if not for ever. My dealer quoted $3400 for the repair, and offered me a good customer discount to $3000 (all plus tax). I'm guessing they were still trying to make a profit off of me and $2600 is closer to the actual price. That's one more thing that makes me angry.

My first car cost less than what Honda wanted to repair the AC!
  • kimmie21kimmie21 Member Posts: 2
    After reading several posts, is it safe to assume that I don't have a chance to get help with my situation - my 2002 CRV compressor went out at 112,000 miles. I started reading older posts and had some hope that American Honda might help. Once I got to the more recent posts, I lost all hope.
    Isn't there anything that can be done????
  • bcorollabcorolla Member Posts: 9
    Gmlube1999,

Did you have the Honda Care Extended Warranty? I have a similar problem on my 2003 Honda CR-V. I have Honda Care so will they cover the whole bill?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    All this talk about the elevation of Florida...is taking away

Minor digressions are to be expected in any topic and scrolling past them should require little effort. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • madams1madams1 Member Posts: 101
    Based on what folks are saying lately, I doubt that you are going to get any assistance. I would go to an independent shop that specializes in Hondas and get an estimate. By the way did yours explode or just quit. That will make a difference in the price of the repair.

The shop I go to keeps a couple of CRV compressors in stock and sees a few each summer season, but so far he has not had one in that expoded.

Wish you the best on your repair.

By the way, mine is a 2003 with 88k and I have not had to replace my compressor yet. I am debating replacing the compressor now or just selling and getting another vehicle. I hate to sell it though since I love the versitility.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I think Honda's past willingness set them selves up for people to get angry when they are denied coverage now. For some reaosn people expect perferction out of everyone but them selves.

So what if Joe got it covered. You are not Joe, you are Jim! Like my dad used to say, if everyone jumped off the bridge would you too?

Most children learn early in their lives that life is not fair, but I guess, a lot of people either forgot, or just don't want to face the reality.

Yes, it may not be fair that Joe got it covered 100% and Jim got 75%, while Kathy got no coverage. A lot of different factors go into determining who gets what level of coverage. But, we all know from the previous paragraph, by now, that life is not fair!

As to people not being able to afford the repair, come on! You are driving around in a $15,000-$20,000 vehicle, not a $600 rust bucket!!!

The tires for the CR-V run about $600, regular maintenance (oil, filter, differential, transmission, power steering, and brake fluid replacement) is probably another $500/year. If you financed, you are probably paying $350/month, which is $4200/year.... Obviously, you have the money to purchase a vehicle and to maintain it. And if it is so vital to have a functional A/C, then dig into the savings to pay for it.

It is generally recommended to haive 6-12 months of income in liquid savings. CR-V is priced along the lines of people making $50,000-$60,000/year, so every one of the CR-V owners should have $30,000 or more in their savings accounts.

Unless you are one of those that live beyond their means. Then, maybe, you should petition your congressman to bail you out of your A/C bill along with the mortgage payment.

Good luck to all.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Tires and fluids are known wear items. Unexpected and expensive repairs sour people on brands.

Toyota sludge.
    Caravan transmissions.
    Odyssey transmissions.
    CTS rear diffys and half shafts.
    Jeep death wobble.
    VW electronics and power windows.
    Subaru head gaskets.

I guess we can now add:

CR-V AC compressors?
  • kimmie21kimmie21 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks! We are definitely bypassing the dealer and taking it to an independent shop. It just quit, no noise at all.
    Good luck with your CRV!
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    People pay a premium both in price off the lot and for service on a Honda, so they expect a better experience when they buy a Honda. Looking at all these CRV AC issues and V6 tranny and engine pinging issues on other Honda vehicles at what appears to be relatively low age and mileage in many cases, I can't help but wonder if Honda hasn't decided to cheapen up their engineering and quality. If this is the case, why pay extra for Honda vehicles any more? Seems to me Toyota can often be bought for less out the door, and you pay even less for Ford and Hyundai who seem to be catching up in reliability. Maybe Honda needs to offshore more of their work back to Japan?
  • dudehelpmedudehelpme Member Posts: 1
    2002 Cr-v A/C compressor doesn't clutch. What to do, what to do?
    2002 Cr-v A/C compressor doesn't clutch. What to do, what to do?

Check refrigerant pressure, and pressure switch. Clutch won't engage when low on refrigerant (and oil in it) to preserve the compressor.
  • sr146260211sr146260211 Member Posts: 55
    Interesting read. Now I will get the 6 year extended warranty for $620.00 $0 deductable, that covers the Compressor and Clutch.

Good luck everyone
    "Preserve the Compressor"...that's rich! Sorry, dude, your compressor is most likely toast like the rest of us.
  • galvdudegalvdude Member Posts: 7
    Or the clutch could have failed like mine did. My compressor only died because the replaced clutch failed (I assume didn't release at higher rpm's like it was supposed to). I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have the refrigerant pressure checked first if low pressure will cause the clutch to not engage as previously suggested. Recharging would be cheaper than the labor for a new clutch, for sure. Good luck.
  • singlemom1singlemom1 Member Posts: 1
    I found out yesterday that the compressor on my 2004 CRV seized and threw metal parts through the system, to the tune of about $3,000.00. My CRV has about 94,000 miles.

I tried my very best to look through the bazillion (but excellent) posts here before I called Honda. After asking me questions, I was told that since my warranty had expired it was my problem. My VIN also starts with a "J". They also said they would refer me to a service advisor who would call me back in a few days. Of course, I asked them why had so many cars (especially with the J VIN indicator) received help and now I was getting nothing? And why would it take two days for a rep to get back to me when, as I'm sure they've done this 1,000 times, they could do it in their sleep? My car is in pieces at the shop and they want to take two days to give me a run around?

Is this Honda's new position: deny? Is anyone having any success? How?

Why didn't they recall this? I know, recalls are typically a safety issue kind of thing, but *knowing* that such a devestatingly defective product was installed and allowing it to stay there....and then denying a repair.....oughta be worth something to somebody.

I could use some help, guys. Sometimes the 'net is a little too helpful and I'm going nuts trying to pick through and find specific information on what to do.
    Based on recent posts, I doubt that you will get much assistance from Honda America. Is it possible for them to put it back together and get an estimate at another shop? If you have a shop that specializes in Hondas, that would be best. I understand regional price differences, but have a hard time understanding the wide range of repair estimates.

Wish you the best on your repair.
  • jim333jim333 Member Posts: 4
    If you own a Honda CRV 2002-2007 and your air conditioning compressor has 30 K or more miles on it, you should replace it now before it fails and costs you two or three thousand dollars. You can buy a discount compressor for a couple hundred dollars, and get an independent air conditioning co. to replace it for about the same, two or three hundred. This should last for another 30k miles or so. Ridiculous that you have to do this, but if you don't you're looking at replacing the whole system. Screw Honda. When I finally unload the this piece of junk, I will go back to Toyotas.
  • lening99lening99 Member Posts: 4
    I followed up Honda's initial rejection of my CRV AC case with letters and faxes to Honda America and my local Honda dealer. I just received a second callback from Honda America. No surprise that I was again denied any help from Honda. The official statement to me was "contact your State Attorney General". Honda's reputation for quality will soon self-destruct - just like a CRV AC compressor.
  • lorraylorray Member Posts: 6
    Hello, I have a 2001 CRV and my second air conditioning compressor just went out. My first one went out four years after I bought it and now. However, I have almost 200,000 miles on my car but still I can't believe this. Take care,
    Has it ever been determined if the problem is the compressor itself or the location/design of the compressor? It bothers me that folks are having multiple failures which indicates the problem may be with the location/design of the compressor. Also, could maintenance of the vehicle or lack of contribute to some of the failures(coolant changes, cabin filter changes)? Finally, I wonder how many failures occured under extreme heat when the A/C was on maximum. I am so aware of the problem now that I try and avoid using max A/C.
  • markayo1markayo1 Member Posts: 23
    Are there problems with the 2009 Crv-EX-L air conditioners and compressors ?
  • tabanowatabanowa Member Posts: 7
    Excellent Advice! I just had my whole system replaced, and I'm definitely going to keep track of the mileage and replace the compressor before it blows again.
  • tabanowatabanowa Member Posts: 7
    Well, I'm very happy with my dealer here in Albuquerque. Originally the manager had called American Honda for me and got them to agree to paying for 75% of my repair (I have a 2004 CRV with 73000 mi). I called American Honda myself trying to get a better deal, but they wouldn't budge. I pleaded with my dealer to see if they themselves would cover some of the labor cost (since I've been a good and long-term customer with them). They said they would see what they could do. In the meantime, I surrendered to the probability of having to go into debt on a credit card for $750. I HAD to get the A/C fixed, living here in the hot desert... I got a call that my car was ready (ahead of schedule) and also more good news - my bill was only $325. They had gotten Honda to pay for 90% of the repair!!!
    I have found that getting Honda repairs through the dealer really pays off, and it does really make a difference in Hondas when you use Honda parts.
    Great that you got a good deal, but most folks are probably not going to get the same deal due to higher mileage and service history with dealership. I would recommend that folks get an estimate from a dealer and then get an estimate from a shop that specializes in Hondas such as the one we have in Lavergne, Tn. I would guess that the dealer is going to be much more for the same work. As far as using genuine Honda parts, I would think that the compressor and other A/C parts are not really Honda parts and parts that any reputable shop has available.
  • beyondoilbeyondoil Member Posts: 15
    Well I went to the dealer as Honda America requested that I confirm that my 03 CRV needed a new air conditioning compressor at the Honda dealer. They said this was the only way they could partially subsidize the repair. So it cost me $132.00 to get the confirmation that the AC compressor was bad then Honda said "Sorry but we won't pay anything". I certainly could have use the $132.00 elsewhere. I would rather spend it buying some ice than give it to Honda for getting nothing in return.

Daniel
  • hatehondahatehonda Member Posts: 2
    AC stopped working on hot Sunday. Went to dealer and got the news that the entire AC system should be changed - about $2500. Fixed at local shop with $1500.
    The guy in the shop said that there is a something WRONG in the compressor and gave the defected compressor. Took the picture and posted into

http://picasaweb.google.com/hatehonda/Desktop#5357308868950726546

Before fix it, contacted Honda America and got the very short answer - warranty is expired. The dealer said that contacting Honda America is not their business.

I don't know the material and mechanics, but it should not be happened. Is it safety related issue?
    Man, that picture says it all. I have heard folks describe the hole in the compressor. Is it a safety issue? That has been debated on this site. Some folks have had their CRV quit in traffic when it exploded and others have debated that the defrost will not work properly without a working compressor and therefore that makes it a safety issue. Is it the compressor that is bad or is it the location of the compressor. You can bet there will not be a recall and too much time has past for most folks so that Honda will cover little or nothing on a replacement.
  • hatehondahatehonda Member Posts: 2
    It is the compressor bad. The AC worked find in the morning around 11:00 AM and I did not heard anything wrong.But on same day, I found AC was not working about 5:00 PM. I tried find any particles in my garage, but could not.
  • dwkinseydwkinsey Member Posts: 11
    I still can't afford the huge bill to replace my A/C system. My first compressor looked just like the picture and there was no noise or anything at all. It just stopped working. My defroster does not seem to work properly since the failure. My second compressor only worked for 2 months,probably because I only replaced the compressor and not the entire A/C system. The second compressor exploded and had an even bigger hole. That one did make a funny noise but not a bang as you would expect. I wish there were a way to fix the A/C system and use a compressor that doesn't have the problem that Honda's has. I hate to spend thousands of dollars and then have it fail the same way again. If anyone knows of a brand of compressor that would work as a replacement that doesn't have the imploding problem, I would like to know about it.
  • beyondoilbeyondoil Member Posts: 15
    There was a person who lived in the south and really needed the air conditioner on his pre 2006 CRV so he took a compressor from a 2007 and adapted it to fit his earlier model CRV. He had to change the hoses and had an additional hi pressure valve on the new compressor but it fit the vehicle and aparently you won't have problems with a 2007 compressor. These compressors have to be bought from Honda as they only allow OEM companies to manufacture parts for Hondas after they are a few years old.

Daniel
    Has it ever been determined if the problem is the compressor itself or the location/design of the compressor? It bothers me that folks are having multiple failures which indicates the problem may be with the location/design of the compressor. Also, could maintenance of the vehicle or lack of contribute to some of the failures(coolant changes, cabin filter changes)? Finally, I wonder how many failures occured under extreme heat when the A/C was on maximum. I am so aware of the problem now that I try and avoid using max A/C.

"MAX A/C" has no bearing on how hard the compressor works. It simply closes the fresh air intake as if you had pressed "recirculation" button.

the compressor has only two modes, on and off. It cycles between the two to prevent ice from forming on the coils. Very simple design.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    You seem to be very knowledgeable on this subject. What do you attribute this CRV compressor problem to?
    Thanks for the clarification. So when we use the defrost in the winter time the compressor works just as hard as when we use A/C in the summer. Is that correct?
    Read his prior posts on the subject if you are interested. The short answer is: User Error.
  • marlie1marlie1 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering purchasing a 2009 CRV EX
    Any problems I should be made aware of??
    Thanks for the clarification. So when we use the defrost in the winter time the compressor works just as hard as when we use A/C in the summer. Is that correct?

It cycles off more often, and longer, since the air stream at the evaporator reaches 39.2°F sooner.

Next time you are driving, play with the recirculation button. On a hot muggy day you will notice that the A/C compressor stays on longer when using fresh air, as opposed to using recirculated air. It is all because recirculated air is already close the set temperature and does not need to be cooled more.

It is just one other way to conserve energy while using A/C. If you are driving for a long time, I would suggest alternating between fresh air and recirculating for 15-20 minute for every hour of driving. Even though, there is some air leakage, you don't want to be breathing recirculated air all the time, the low oxygen content will make you drowsy.
    You seem to be very knowledgeable on this subject. What do you attribute this CRV compressor problem to?

Well, the truth is, jpettibone goes from one CR-V to another at night and smashes its A/C compressor with a sledge hammer, and then runs off into the night. :P
  • doneasterdoneaster Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a used 2002 Honda CR-V because I thought Honda made a reliable vehicle. This is the 3RD Honda I've owned and all of them were purchased used. My wife has a 2003 Honda Odyssey van that we purchased used with over a hundred thousand miles on it and it is still running fine after putting and additional 24000 miles on it. However on this CR-V the AC compressor blew about 2 weeks after I bought it. I had it diagnosed by a local AC repair shop and they verified the compressor was completely locked-up, and the mechanic informed me that Honda should have recalled these vehicles and repaired them when this problem first started showing up. He said the condensing unit flues are too small and causes the compressor to have to work much harder to keep the freon flowing thru the system because the condenser isn't capable of cooling the freon as efficiently as it should and this causes the compressor to fail prematurely.
    I then took it to the local Honda dealership and informed them that I had it diagnosed already and the compressor was bad and the condenser and other components would have to be replaced and I had already worked out a deal with the Honda Parts Manager for a discount on the parts. I left and was called later with an estimate of $2800.00 for the repair. I said what?? What about the discount on the parts? The service writer said the the entire AC system would have to be replaced because bits of metal were all in the hoses and components. Then I said how much is the parts and was informed that the bulk of the charge was labor and the parts even discounted were about $1200.00. I informed him that I had researched this problem on the internet and he said he might be able to get me some assistance from Honda. I told him that I realized that I had made a big mistake in buying that car and if I had researched it thoroughly I would never have bought it. He is supposedly working with Honda America to get me some assistance and hopefully they will cover some of the cost, I informed him that if they don't I'll just buy the parts and repair it myself, the only thing I can't do is evacuate the system.
    I'll post what happened later.
  • alana50alana50 Member Posts: 12
    The AC blew in 102 degree weather; the shop that works on my car replaced it for parts only because they'd only fixed it 14 months previously, and they felt bad that it was out of warranty.
    The car was making a noise that sounded like idling problems so he returned the car yesterday. They tried to reset everything using the computer but it failed.
    Today, they say it's the compressor and that they'd been getting bad parts lately.
    It looks like this is becoming an issue.
    Anyone know what's going on?
  • marya14marya14 Member Posts: 1
    My compressor failed on Sunday 60 miles from my home outside of Phoenix. It was 114 degrees, there was an accident that kept traffic still for about 45 minutes, and I had a puppy and a small child with me. I could not pull over as that would have prolonged our getting home and on a winding road, that would have been dangerous. Even with water and the windows open, my daughter was beet red and the dog was panting wildly. My hands were tingling and while I maintained my composure, I grew more and more concerned for them as we stayed in traffic awaiting the road to clear. Once in town, I was able to stop for water and ice, but you can imagine at 114 degrees outside, what that drive felt like. My daughter was lethargic the next day despite my attempts to keep her hydrated. Their little systems can't handle that type of heat so well. She did get better and I later received three different quotes with the last one giving the best quote (with persistence.) The service manager said this was a known problem and they wouldn't turn any CRVs owners away. The compressor failure took out the whole AC system which will cost me ( w/ the discount) $1,250 plus tax. The Honda rep I spoke with was unkind and unsympathetic and would not give the full name of her superior nor would she let me speak with him. I was calm but firm in that I still did not understand why Honda has paid for this repair in full for some, but in part, or not at all for others. I am supposed to get a call within 2 days but will let them fix it at the $1250,.00 and hope for more resolution later on. I am grateful for something, but am horrified my their lack of empathy and their lack of consistency in dealing with this compressor issue. If the flues are too small, then they should recall the CRVs and fix them, or simply fix the systems at no charge when the issues come up. They also said they're hard to maintain in Phoenix. That response was also very confusing. Again, if that's the case, we should know this up front or they should fix the issue so it can handle the Phoenix heat.
    replaced it for parts only because they'd only fixed it 14 months previously,

It sounds like this was an AC shop, not a dealer? Do you know if they used a Honda OEM compressor, assuming that was one of the parts replaced earlier?
    Glad that your daughter has recovered. I saw you mentioned the flues being too small(from someones earlier post). I am not sure what the flue is, but is there a way to make it larger? If not, could this be one reason that they keep failing multiple times?
  • dwkinseydwkinsey Member Posts: 11
    Should the shop not use a Honda OEM compressor in order to keep it from repeatedly failing? What is the alternative? Is there a brand that is good?
    That's what I was wondering. Are the compressors dying or is something about the system killing the compressors?
  • sr146260211sr146260211 Member Posts: 55
    Interesting....

Just read on the Mazda forum regarding some Mazda3's having issue with their air conditioners (Compressors - 06 model) that are out of warranty and the cost to replace is around $1,550.00.

Tells me that if one does keep their cars longer, it might be wise to get the extended warranty to cover the high cost.
    LOL, nice. :) Actually, the nice thing about the CR-V design is that I only need the sledge for 2007 and later. Before that, they fry themselves. :P