Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V AC Compressor Problems

Comments

• madams1madams1 Member Posts: 101
    Been following this board since my extended warranty ran out last year. Got 5 year 100,000 miles thinking my wife would hit the mileage soon. Now have 89,100 on my 2003 CRV. The A/C is cooling fine, but have noticed the compressor rumbles noticably especially when idiling. My question is there an advantage to replacing now over waiting until it goes out? Will more parts have to be replaced? I am under the impression that if you replace before it goes out, you still should replace some of the other parts, but which parts? I guess it is pay now or pay later, but how much more later.

I asked my mechanic about it last year(shop works only on Honda and Acura) and he said to bring it in if it started making more noise than normal. If I take it in while it still works, what can they check?

By the way, the mechanic did say that he keeps compressor parts stocked for the CRV's since he sees he replaces about 3 a year in his shop. He said the compressor is quite pricey and said it could be upwards of 1,200.00 with labor. Not sure if that included any other parts.
  • doneasterdoneaster Member Posts: 3
    Well you obviously haven't heard that recently it has been reported that some of the Honda Ridgeline Trucks have caught on fire and burned up because of a short in the electrical system. One guy had parked his in the Atlanta Airport parking garage and asked his brother to go drive it home for him a few days later. When his brother found the car, it was smoking severely inside the passenger compartment, fortunately he was able to summon help and get it put out before a lot of damage was done. I think Honda is putting vehicles out with inferior parts now and allowing them to be assembled in places like Mexico where the workers are just not the sharpest tools in the shed which is leading to poor quality and I was a loyal Honda owner for years, but I'll not buy another one, I'm going to research thoroughly before I buy anything from now on.
  • sweltering_crvsweltering_crv Member Posts: 1
    If you don't have a warranty, REPLACE IT NOW. All 2002- 2006 CRV's will almost certainly need a new AC compressor. If you don't replace it before it goes, the entire system has to be replaced and/or completely cleaned, because when they go -- they explode, throwing debris into every inch of your AC System. The irony is, the old body-style had the same compressor (I'm told it's a Khein), which Honda knew was problematic, but they simply used a "new & improved" unit in the 2002- 2006 models. In my opinion, Honda does need to own up and replace every compressor with another model. It requires some retro-fit, but it's more reasonable than multiple replacements of the original. Anyone else think we have grounds for a class-action???
  • dwkinseydwkinsey Member Posts: 11
    If it's making a rumbling noise, I would replace the compressor ASAP. Mine made a similar noise and I thought it was the blower fan. Boy was I wrong! $1200 is cheap compared to what they charge if you wait for it to fail. If it fails, what happens is that the clutch rod inside the compressor breaks up and sends tiny pieces of metal throughout the system, making it necessary to replace the entire A/C system, not just the compressor. I replaced just the compressor and it only lasted 2 months. Now I'm without A/C in Florida in the summer because I can't afford to pay over $3000 to fix it. The reason the price is so high is because it is labor-intensive, that is, the engine has to be moved to get the compressor out and install a new one, not to mention all the hoses, etc. The compressor is located on the bottom of the engine compartment near the front passenger-side wheel.
    Thanks for the replies. I believe that I will take it in and get an updated estimate. I plan to keep it at least 2 more years. So if I replace it now, it will be cheaper and I can expect it to last a few years(hopefully).

So has anyone figured out if it is the compressor that is bad or the location or the design(configuration)?
  • alana50alana50 Member Posts: 12
    My car is a 2000 and I had 154K miles when the compressor went out last week; the mechanics went way beyond what they had to in order to get everything working because it took them installing TWO compressors- the first reaplacement part was defective.
    I called the 800 # to be told that there were no reports of problems w/ compressors and that there are no mentions in the Honda literature about such..
    (Tell me more- I love it when you lie to me again, baby!)
    This is, BTW, the first major problem w/ the auto.
  • nilarnilar Member Posts: 1
    My 137k 2000 CR-V's A/C compressor failed catastrophically tonight. A/C was working fine, just heard about fifteen seconds of whistling in time with the engine rpms, then an explosion under the hood and the sudden smell of oil through the vents. Pulled over quickly, shut the car off, raised the hood to find oil and aluminum debris all over the engine compartment, and a silver-dollar-sized chunk of the compressor housing punched in.

Not really out of line for a compressor to fail after so many miles, but taking down the whole system is unacceptable. By reading the posts here I have a game plan and a good idea about what to expect from the repair process.

Other than the un-tempered anti-sway bars in the rear (one side failed at 8k, the other at 11k) and killing a battery every 36 months, the car has been trouble-free.
    According to an earlier reply to my original message, the same compressor was used in your model year. I had not read too many compressors going bad in your model year, but there have been some. Kind of scary the way you describe the damage. Let us know the outcome.
  • w1johnw1john Member Posts: 6
    There is already a class-action lawsuit in the works.
    http://www.honda-lawsuit.com/
  • w1johnw1john Member Posts: 6
    According to one of the service manual instructions for A/C compressor replacement it is a KEIHIN. I thought a HS110R, but maybe not.

"•Use refrigerant oil (KEIHIN SP-10) for HFC-134a KEIHIN spiral type compressor only."

Spectra Premium claims to make a high-quality replacment compressor (SPI0610078) for the 2002-04 models that sells for around $400.

This is the description:

"SPECTRA PREMIUM A/C COMPRESSOR, NEW -- With Clutch, Meets Or Exceeds OEM Specifications, 100% Factory Run Tested To Ensure Optimum Product Performance, Endurance Tested Using Endurance Simulator, Manufactured Under QS-9000, ISO 9002 Certified Quality Systems, Carefully Packaged For Product Quality And Installation, With Spectra's Limited 1-Year Warranty"

Ebay has allot of compressors selling in the low $200's but they are likely refabs.
  • doneasterdoneaster Member Posts: 3
    Alana, I'm not an AC expert but from what research I've done on how Air Conditioning works, it appears that there is a major flaw in the design of the AC Units in a lot of Honda CR-V's. A local, very reputable AC Mechanic, told me that the flues or passage ways in the Condenser Unit which is supposed to cool the freon down so that it will turn back into a gas, are too small. This causes the freon to remain in a liquid state and when this liquid freon gets to the compressor (and the compressor's job is to compress the freon when it is in the form of a gas.) Liquid freon doesn't compress very well so this causes the compressor to either lock up or implode and sometimes very violently like a small explosion, and this can happen at any time. Honda should be required to correct this problem at no cost to the consumer, because they have known it was a problem for several years now. I understand that there is a Class Action Lawsuit pending on this very issue. I got an e-mail from a lawyer about this and he said that when it happens try to get whoever replaces the AC System to give you the old Compressor and the Condenser for evidence. Most Honda Dealers must have been informed not to let the consumer have the old compressor or the condenser because when mine was repaired recently at a cost of $1976.79 they wouldn't allow me to have the old parts they claimed they were required to send them back to Honda America.
  • bb427bb427 Member Posts: 1
    My car is a 2002 Honda CRV and has had the air conditioning compressor replaced four times and has now gone out again. It seems that Honda needs to make a change to the compressor.
  • dwkinseydwkinsey Member Posts: 11
    Do you know where I can get more information about the condenser issue? I'm a person who believes in finding a permanent solution to a problem, not just putting a band-aid on it--especially not a band-aid that costs thousands of dollars. Since I have to replace the whole A/C system, I want to make sure the new parts will work like they should, and if that means not using Honda parts, that's fine with me as long as they fit the car and work properly. I'm not a mechanic so I will have to have someone do the work for me, but I do want to know how to fix the problem so I don't get ripped off.
  • carroll2009carroll2009 Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 honda CRV (60K miles) air conditioner quit working today, probably the compressor?. Do I have any recourse with Honda? It seems that many people are having or had the same problem.
    Thanks.
    You will first have to go to a Honda dealer and get a diagnostic and an estimate. This will cost around 100.00 depending on your location. Sometimes the dealer will call Honda corporate for you. Before the recession, Honda was helping some folks based on brand loyalty, mileage, etc. Lately from the posts on here they are not covering much at all.

BTW, did your A/C just stop working or did your compressor make a loud noise before the A/C went out?

Good luck with the Honda corporate. Let us know the outcome.
  • chris2009chris2009 Member Posts: 2
    Our AC went out and we paid $2000 to get it all replaced 10 days ago. Since then our power door locks stopped working, one at a time. Now only the driver's door works. And yesterday the AC stopped again. A trip to the dealer today revealed that they did not attach lines properly and all coolant leaked out. They fixed lines, replaced coolant and told us door were fine. Needless to say, my blood pressure went up! Any ideas on the door locks since they stopped working one at a time?
  • chris2009chris2009 Member Posts: 2
    Our 2003 CRV compressor cracked. Loud noise while driving. Honda dealer told us they had to replace every single part in AC at a cost of ~$4700, I think. We called Honda of America and told them we knew of the compressor issues Honda has had and they got the dealership to do it for $2000. Dealership promised us a 3 year warranty, but when they finished the work, they only gave us a one year warranty. Ten days later we had to have it back in the shop because AC stopped working. Apparently they did not tighten lines properly and all coolant leaked out. Fixed now supposedly, but no apologies from dealer for these issues. And in the meantime the power locks stopped working one at a time. This has not been fun at all.
  • hob1hob1 Member Posts: 4
    So here is my story. Own a 2003 CRV EX, compressor exploded at 25,000 miles and entiore AC system was replaced under warranty. Two weeks ago, at 50,000 miles same explosion, same problem, $3,500 repair for entire ac system. Honda regional manager reduced the costs to their costs of $1,500 after much complaining. I also own a 2006 CRV, and a 2008 Odyssey. So I asked Honda America to pick up the tab. I couldn't be a better poster child for this problem and customer loyalty. Own 3 Hondas, on my 3rd AC system in 50,000 miles...so of course they will step up.

Just got the call, NOT covered as you are out of warranty, and should be happy that the regional Honda manager gave me some releif. They are not aware that this is a problem, and will make no guarantees that this won't happen again in another 25,000.

So it looks like a RAV or a Subaru later this year. Mad as hell to say the least.
    Took my wifes Honda Fit(I call it the clown car) in for oil and filter change. After the service advisor wrote it up, I explained to him that I was considering going ahead and changing out my compressor and other related parts on my 2003 CRV with 90,000 miles. He was a bit puzzled since it still works. I mentioned the problems others are having and he did admit seeing quite a few and some had holes in the compressors. I asked him for a ballpark figure and he said around 1,400.00 for compressor and related parts. The parts and labor would have a 12 month or 12,000 mile warranty. Of course, if I plan to do this, I will get them to give me something in writing. I plan to keep the vehicle for another 2.5 years or 30,000 miles based on my driving habits.

If I do not replace, then if it does explode, I may be looking at 3,000 to 4,000 based on what others have posted.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Alana, I'm not an AC expert but from what research I've done on how Air Conditioning works, it appears that there is a major flaw in the design of the AC Units in a lot of Honda CR-V's. A local, very reputable AC Mechanic, told me that the flues or passage ways in the Condenser Unit which is supposed to cool the freon down so that it will turn back into a gas, are too small. This causes the freon to remain in a liquid state and when this liquid freon gets to the compressor (and the compressor's job is to compress the freon when it is in the form of a gas.) Liquid freon doesn't compress very well so this causes the compressor to either lock up or implode and sometimes very violently like a small explosion, and this can happen at any time. Honda should be required to correct this problem at no cost to the consumer, because they have known it was a problem for several years now. I understand that there is a Class Action Lawsuit pending on this very issue. I got an e-mail from a lawyer about this and he said that when it happens try to get whoever replaces the AC System to give you the old Compressor and the Condenser for evidence. Most Honda Dealers must have been informed not to let the consumer have the old compressor or the condenser because when mine was repaired recently at a cost of $1976.79 they wouldn't allow me to have the old parts they claimed they were required to send them back to Honda America.

Is "FLUE" another name for the expansion valve?
  • shima1shima1 Member Posts: 19
    Has anyone installed this compressor? Does it fit right in?
    I'm driving my 02 with 85K miles very gingerly, cycling it off and on every 20 seconds or so.
  • lenandsquiglenandsquig Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 Honda CRV Air Conditioner stopped working last Friday. Took it to the dealer and was told it would cost $3500 + tax to replace the entire AC system. I contacted Honda America and have a case number and am waiting to hear back.

Here is some information I was provided to see if anything can be done. Maybe if these organizations get enough complaints something will be done about this problem.

Share your experiences with the following organizations, which may be able to provide you with information and/or offer assistance:

1. Center for Auto Safety, 1825 Connecticut Ave NW, Suite 330, Washington,
    DC 20009-5708. The CAS compiles information on defective automobiles,
    ranging from transmissions problems to paint problems. If you wish, you
    may send them a letter sharing your experiences with them. Should they
    have any information on your particular automobile, they will forward it to
    you, along with helpful information and advice within 10 days from date of
    receipt of their letter. They ask, but do not require, a $.60 SASE to help
    keep their costs down. Or, you can visit their website at
    http://www.autosafety.org.

2. Council of Better Business Bureaus, Inc. at 4200 Wilson Boulevard,
    Arlington, VA 22203; 1-703-276-0100. The Council of Better Business
    Bureaus, the umbrella organization for the BBBs, also provides programs and
    publications for consumers, and helps to settle disputes with automobile
    manufacturers through the BBB Auto Line program.

3. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 400 Seventh Street, SW,
    Washington, DC 20590, 1-888-327-4236 or 1-202-366-0123. The NHTSA assures
    compliance by domestic and foreign motor vehicle and equipment
    manufacturers with motor vehicle safety standards, automobile recalls, and
    airline problems. You may wish to visit their Website at
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov, where you will be able to obtain information on
    air bags, child safety seats, and automobile crash test results. You can
    also search through an extensive list of automobile and automobile
    equipment recall notices, and report any problems that you have encountered
    with your automobile.

4. Your State Attorney General's Office, which helps to resolve individual
    consumer complaints, conducts informational and educational programs, and
    enforces consumer protection and fraud laws. You can find their telephone
    number in the blue section of your telephone book.

5. Send an email with your complaint to Consumer Reports to customerservice@customerrelations.consumer.org.
  • peter76peter76 Member Posts: 6
    My 2004 CR-V A/C stopped work at 52,000 miles, it blows air but no cold air. The dealer said the compressor locked up; the compressor, cluch set, coil set and condenser must be replaced. Honda America denied any assistance. My question: do I really need replace the condenser? the compressor did not exploded.
    Not sure, but some folks on this forum seem more technically savy. Just curious, how much did they quote you for the replacement of the parts listed? I am pondering getting mine replaced ahead of time and too would like to know what to replace if the compressor has not exploded.
    I'm driving my 02 with 85K miles very gingerly, cycling it off and on every 20 seconds or so.

The system will cycle it for you, automatically. You may be putting more wear and tear on the A/C componenents by manually cycling it on and off.
  • andycoolandycool Member Posts: 1
    My A/C sopped working today , it was fine today morning but all of a sudden it stopped working , i didn't hear any noise may be not in Houston traffic . Mechanic just did a visual check and said that the compressor and condenser are gone ,,i have to take it to honda Dealer for check up and pay $$$
    by the way my Honda is 2004 CRV 64000 MILES

THANKS
    It is quoted $2,100. Not bad, but not sure how long it will last. By the way, I replaced an oxygen sensor 2 years ago, costing me about $500. Honda has expensive part. I will go to Toyota after this.
  • amwjramwjr Member Posts: 4
    My wife's CR-V ('02 with 73K miles) behaved exactly the same. Also got same response from American Honda. They did offer me the 'warranty rate' of $2700 for total system replacement. Condenser must be replaced because it cannot be adequately flushed of debris. I pouted and sweated for two weeks, then decided to have local mechanic replace all parts. He did so for $1338 and provided 1 year parts/labor warranty. Has worked well for two weeks. Still unhappy with A-H, but at least we're not sweating. Will not buy another Honda. They're no longer worth paying a premium price, as they don't stand behind their product. It's a shame. My dealer, Walsh Honda in Macon, Ga, has first class folks. It's a Corporate business call. Bad choice, at least in my opinion.
  • thenoseknowsthenoseknows Member Posts: 1
    This month had my 2004 CR-V a/c compressor seize at 60K miles, resulting in metal shards being distributed throughout the a/c system. Total a/c replacement cost: $3250. I contacted Honda of America, explaining this was my 4th Honda since 1992. They agreed to pay 2/3 of the cost, leaving me with an out of pocket expense of $1150.
    Thanks! I intend to go to local mechanic too. Honda-A loses my trust at all. Knowning the A/C system has designing problem, they did nothing to solve the problem but looking for excuse to deny the assistance. In my case, Honda-A said sorry your car was purchsed in Canada. Honda Canada said sorry you car was in US now. I recolated to US after I owned the CR-V, and all warranty was already transferred to Honda-A. Shame on Honda! No more Honda for sure!
  • sr146260211sr146260211 Member Posts: 55
    For all those that said "You will never buy another Honda" Read below...

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f1df7b5/0

In part it reads......

"my RAV4 with 67,000 miles just broke down on the PA Turnpike while driving home from vacation. Got towed to the closest Toyota dealer and they say the Transfer Case is broken...to the tune of $4,400.

i am the original owner and the only one who has ever touched this car is the dealer i purchased it from. it's had all recommended maintainance & service. the dealer is shrugging their shoulders.

i called Toyota customer service and after researching the cars service history and reviewing the estimate they have offered to pay half of the parts cost, which is $1300. which leaves me with over $3,000 to pay to fix a car i planned to run forever...

i am very very disappointed in the car and Toyota's unwillingness to stand behind it and help a customer who's clearly experiencing a very unusual catastrophic mechanical failure.

i was a loyal customer, but after this exerience i am sad to say no more toyotas for me "

Every car. And I mean every car owner from any manufacture will have issues and one or more will say, " Never again will I buy another, Honda, Toyota, Mazda, etc, etc, etc.
  • sgpsgp Member Posts: 13
    Are there hundreds or thousands of RAV4 transfer cases failing like the CRV air compressors are self destructing is this an isolated incident?
  • sr146260211sr146260211 Member Posts: 55
    Reason for the post is to tell those that think Honda is in general a bad car when in fact its reported to be better than Toyota if one would do the home work is just stretching it too far.

Yes, there is an issue with the air compressor but making a blanked statement that Never Again will they buy a Honda or any car for that matter is over looking the fact that other manufacture have issues as well, some are serious and that includes Toyota's.

Just go to JDPower.com and check on which manufacture has the better product and you will find Honda is listed near the top over Toyoto's.
    Honda has expensive part. I will go to Toyota after this.

Toyota parts are not cheaper.

In reality, no parts are cheap when buying form the dealer. It is like paying MSRP for the car, and I am sure most people negotiate, rather than just pay the sticker.

You can buy OEM Honda parts for 1/3 from a number of on-line Honda dealers. One even advertizes on this site. Many local dealers will price match or beat on-line prices to earn one's business.

Read about Toyota engines sludging up, too. I guess it is horse and carriage for you from now on. Clydesdales or Mules?
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    These posts just show you that one of these days people are going to wake up and realize its dumb to pay a premium price for a Honda, Toyota, etc. The newer D3 are catching up, so you don't need to get ripped off by the dealers or overpriced sticker prices any more.
    Honda CR-V oxygen sensor about $270 vs. Toyato RAV4 about $110. Honda CR-V compressor about $560 vs Toyato RAV4 about $350, plus Honda put the receiver/drier together with the condensor for A/C system, so you have to replace the compessor + condesor whenever you get compressor locked up. Do not tell me Honda did not make such stupid design on opurpose! JDPower.com is based on the survey for new car in 90 days period! Honda is not honest to its customer and the customer has the right to SAY NO! NO HONDA ANYMORE!
    What's a D3?
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    D3 = Detroit 3 (Ford, GM, Chrsyler/Mopar)
  • sam2000pressam2000pres Member Posts: 1
    Thank you Carol for the information.

I have a 2002 CRV that has just blew up it's third! compressor in as many years...
    Got off the phone with Lindsey at Honda Corporate office to get the ball rolling, she was NOT very helpful except to tell me it will be two days before I get a reply form the case worker, and NOT to expect any help! Wow! Nice customer service...

Another local owner had just paid for replacement of entire A/C system, got a check for $700 from Honda for parts but still cost some $3000 plus labor for system to be replaced, and for how long till it blows up again?

Any other owners out there, lets hear how you dealt with this obvious defective part issue!!

Thanks all,

TK
    Still wondering if anyone has installed this compressor.

2002-2004 Honda CR-V - Spectra A/C Compressor
  • beyondoilbeyondoil Member Posts: 15
    Got a new compressor with a 2 year warranty and a new condensor but didn't want to take a chance so I sold it but I did warn the buyer of this problem. So it sounds like it would be a good idea to use a new condensor when replacing the AC compressor but maybe all the " too small" condensors should be replaced before the compressor goes bad. :)
    Hey beyondoil, thinking of replacing the compressor and other recommended parts on my 2003 CRV with 90K. Honda dealer told me it would have 12k or 1 year warranty. Just curious, where did not get yours done? Is it true that the dryer and condensor are one part on the CRV's.

What is holding me back from replacing the necessary parts is the reports on this site and topix.com that so many that are being replaced are failing again.

Look forward to your input.
    Well it sounds like the condensor flues are too small and this allows the compressor to pump liquid freon which destroys it very quickly. I have read that some people have changed the compressors with those from a 07 CRV but maybe the problem isn't with the compressor but the condensor.

I got mine done in Greenbrae California at the Mill Valley Radiator Shop. The people working there are very fair, very honest and very capable.

The dryer is not part of the condensor. It is a tube that is filled with dessicant. It's primary function is to remove all moisture from the system. Moisture is not good for the system and it is important to have as much of it as possible removed. The dryer is considered to be a throw away item and every time the freon is drained from the system, the dryer should be replaced.

I wish I knew more about AC systems.
    Beyondoil, thanks for the reply. Sure was honest of you to fix before selling.

So on the replacement is the condensor an 'improved' version of the old one?

So if I do replace, I need to get the compressor, condensor and dryer done at a minimum.

Due to recent economic conditions in my household, I have to keep it for 2 more years at least.
    I don't know enough about the condensor. It is like a radiator and it exists in front of your normal radiator. So maybe the "flues" in the older ones are smaller? You would have to talk to a radiator person to find that out. The compressor I bought on e bay did have a 2 year warranty while the ones Honda sold were only 1 year. I took apart the old compressor and it had a bad seal and did not blow apart. It had a spiral chamber inside so the freon gas gets compressed by going down the spiral chamber. It was an advanced design on how to make an efficient compressor. Older ones used pistons.
  • revsandyrevsandy Member Posts: 1
    i have been another victim of honda crv compresser nightmare...mine is $4000, and had a goodwill offer of 1500 but couldnt save the reat in time and 30 day limit ran out and the offer is no longer offered...i am very dissappointed in Honda and i think with all these complaints...we nee to take this to legal counsel.
    email me at salon11111@cebridge.net
  • camelioncamelion Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 CR-V and up until recently it has been one of my favorite vehicles and fully intended to buy another brand new one in a couple of years. Now however my entire AC system is bad. Took it to Ray Price Honda, where by the way my family has purchased 3 Honda's. They originally told me it was the clutch on the AC and then called me and said it was also the compressor at which time I complained that this should not be happening - they agreed to courtesy warrant the compressor $540. My car was suppose to be done yesterday ready for me to pick it up today. Guess what???? Today I got a call that when the AC went it apparently blew apart contaminating the entire system. They said they did some research and found this has been a problem in several CR-V's and therefore they would split the cost and I would need to pay $1,100. I totally and completely feel that this is a Honda problem and it is not right that I have to pay a dime for this repair. They keep telling me because I have 72,000 miles on it they don't have to pay anything. It is clear by the many post on here this has nothing to do with mileage rather it is faulty equipment originally installed in these vehicles to start with.

At this point I will be contacting Honda directly, however since I bought the vehicle from Ray Price in East Stroudsburg, PA they should really be taking care of this and they should be fighting with Honda to get their money reimbursed. I also am really afraid to keep this vehicle now, as how do I know this will not do the same thing again, as I have read in several post. I really thought Honda's were good vehicles thus why we have continued to drive them. We still have a 1997 Honda Civic we purchased new and it now has nearly 300,000 miles on it. By the way the AC on it didn't go out until around 200,000 miles at which time we choose not to repair it. Nor did I expect Honda to take care of it. The CR-V however is completely different considering it is only 3 years old this Sept. and only has 72,000.

Very Frustrated and feeling like I am being abused by a dealership who should be standing behind their product by doing the right thing - getting Honda to own up to the issue they have with these AC systems. :cry:
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    They keep telling me because I have 72,000 miles on it they don't have to pay anything.

On the other hand, you did get almost five years of use out of the system so it's not completely unreasonable for them to balk at paying the full cost of replacement. Nevertheless, you may want to try a different approach such as having them pay for the parts and splitting the cost of labor with you rather than a flat 50-50 split of the total cost.

Also, you may want to consider writing up some comments in our Dealer Ratings and Reviews.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    BTW,he only got 3 years use out of the a/c based on his post.

Tidester, a lot of folks probably do not mind much paying for a new compressor and the normal parts that go along with getting a new compressor, but paying for all of the other parts and not to mention the labor when the system implodes. Also, some folks are probably questioning whether to replace give the horror stories about it happening twice and even three times.

I am still pondering switching out my system before it happens since I plan to keep the vehicle another 2 years or so. Mine is an 03 with 90,000 miles. I went to the Honda dealer to get an estimate and he gave me two: One is with the system still working and two with the system not working. The second estimate was a question mark since he stated that the price range could be 2-3 thousand depending on the damage. By the way I did not have to pay for the estimate since mine is still working.
    Honda CR-V oxygen sensor about $270 vs. Toyato RAV4 about $110. Honda CR-V compressor about $560 vs Toyato RAV4 about $350, plus Honda put the receiver/drier together with the condensor for A/C system, so you have to replace the compessor + condesor whenever you get compressor locked up. Do not tell me Honda did not make such stupid design on opurpose! JDPower.com is based on the survey for new car in 90 days period! Honda is not honest to its customer and the customer has the right to SAY NO! NO HONDA ANYMORE!

Show me where you are getting those prices for Toyota OEM parts?

Part listed below are for 2005 Honda CR-V EX, Japan made.

Primary O2 sensor $187.51 Honda OEM part

Secondary O2 seconds $187.51 Honda OEM part

Compressor and Harness $375.53 Honda OEM part.Compressor and Harness $375.53 Honda OEM part

In the words of Cuba Gooding Jr.: "Show me the money!"

As to condenser and dryer being together... That is the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard. It is on par with Blondes planning on landing on the sun at night. :surprise: