Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V AC Compressor Problems

Comments

• madams1madams1 Member Posts: 101
    I forgot to say in my reply that the estimate for replacing mine while still working is 1,361.00 plus tax for compressor, clutch, coil, receiver/dryer and labor. If I replace the condensor also that adds 390.00 for a total of 1,752.00 plus tax. I am going to get another estimate from a shop that certifies in Honda/Acura(not a dealer) and see how close the estimates are. The one from honda dealer only comes with 1 year or 12,000 mile warranty.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    BTW,he only got 3 years use out of the a/c based on his post.

That may be true though I based my estimate on the fact that the '06 model came out in late '05 and we're about to enter the '10 model year so it would be close to 5 years - if he was a early buyer. Be that as it may, the owner did get some significant usage out of the system.

As to "collateral damage," I don't think there is a counterargument and I agree with your analysis.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • kvezkvez Member Posts: 1
    I don't care if a Honda has 200,000 miles on it. AC compressors should not go out as frequently as they have been on these CRVs. My 2004 CRV just went out last week. The car has been at the dealer all weekend, and told us today they contacted Honda America. They will "goodwill" warranty the job (compressor, hoses, etc.) for about 1600.00 (versus 4,000 +++). Comes with a 36,000/3 year warranty on the job. Other than that's a nice chunk of change, I am more upset that Honda is WELL AWARE of this problem. It's not the dealer's fault, so I will let them do the work. But, we are certainly sending some nasty-grams to the Honda Corp. I am sure they will care less, but I plan on joining whatever class action suit that has momentum. I am sure something will eventually come of this. Upsetting to say the least.
  • lorraylorray Member Posts: 6
    Hello, I totally agree as it shouldn't go out at 75,000 or 200,000 like I have. This is the second compressor that has gone out in my 2002 Honda CR-V. My first one went out at about 75,000. I don't have the money to fix it at this point. It makes me so mad that everyone is dealing with this same problem.
  • amspalamspal Member Posts: 2
    I bought a new Honda CRV in May 2004. My very first new car. I received the title (finally!) in June and 2 weeks later the compressor blew. I am furious. I called American Honda twice and both of the customer service drones that I spoke to treated me with complete disrespect, as if the problem is something that I incurred. Today I contacted my local news station, ABC 6, to seek help from their "6 On Your Side" reporter, hoping that perhaps he will do a story on this issue. If anyone else lives in the Columbus, Ohio area, and has experienced this problem, please do the same. I simply cannot think of anything else to do. We obviously need to make some waves to get someone to listen. It figures that the automakers whom we have perceived to be reliable, are not even willing to acknowledge our concerns. "Pissed;" that would be the one word to sum up how I feel.
  • jo27jo27 Member Posts: 7
    How ironic is this! I too bought my 2004 Honda CRV in may of 2004. It was paid off on 6/15/09.. and I'm still waiting for the title and guess what? My compressor went this weekend. I had been cranking the air the past few weeks with the hazy hot days of summer in CT, and Sunday night noticed that I wasn't getting cool air. Spent the morning at the Honda Dealer yesterday, with hopes that I only needed some coolant and expecting after the system was tested that it would only be about $200. Much to my surprise, I needed a new compressor, new compressor clutch, seals, etc...The dealer gave me a loaner til today when they got the parts. Out the door it cost me $1486 (after a 10% discount from the dealer)... The vehicle has about 89k miles so now I'm good for another 90k! Good luck.
  • informedinformed Member Posts: 1
    Your problem sounds exactly like mine. 2004 CRV LX, meticulously maintained, 46000 miles. The air conditioner just stopped working. No noise, no warning. I went to the dealer from whom I purchased the vehicle. After the diagnostic, I received the expected response. ( I say expected because I had been through this routine before with other manufacturers. It's like they're reading from a teleprompter.) "b>You are out of the warranty period and most likely American Honda b>will not help. If you had all servicing done here, you might be more likely to get assistance." The estimate was for almost $2000. I was told that a leaking condenser was the problem even though the car had been fully serviced just days before and there was no evidence of any leak on my garage floor. I contacted American Honda and they gave me a case number. They were very courteous and responded within 48 hours. The dealership called me shortly thereafter and said I would receive some consideration but far less than what I consider a fair amount.(again as expected). I will now call American Honda to continue the arduous and inevitable "haggling" process. I will not give up! I will doggedly and fastidiously pursue every available avenue towards a just and equitable resolution. There really is no reason why decent, responsible people should be subjected to such indignity and inconvenience but that's the way it is. If each and every one of us follows through and persevere, perhaps justice will prevail. This just plain wrong !!!
  • alana50alana50 Member Posts: 12
    The AC was worked April last year, which is understandable on a nine year old car- stuff happens. When the problem happened in April this year I was not happy, but the shop manager where my car is serviced decided to replace parts at cost since it had been 14 months since they were installed the first time, but they did labor for free.When my husband drove the car off the shop property, it stopped working again so they had to keep the vehicle overnight on Saturday and Sunday, replacing the parts again- twice between Friday and Monday.
    Last week the AC went out again- that's less than a month later. When I took it in, they had two other Hondas (all red, coincidentally) with the same issue.
    I called American Honda and was told that they had NO records of AC parts problems and that the mechanics probably don't know what they're doing. I asked the service rep to take the time to look on Edmunds.com, which I doubt she did. She told me that they have to wait till dealerships report that there are issues with the parts.
    I called the two dealerships in town and both told me that they have seen NO ACs with bad parts. I explained that there are many stories on Edmunds and I was told that the folks on this list must not be using dealerships for their work.
    I have now joined the class action suit against Honda, not because of the problem, but because of the careless attitude toward their customers and because the evidence shows that small shop that works on my car is loosing so much money due to bad parts. AND I've had to pay for rentals because we are a one car family.
  • amspalamspal Member Posts: 2
    When I spoke to American Honda yesterday (which turns out to have been a complete and utter waste of my time) the woman I spoke to first said that they haven't had any such complaints about the AC. So I asked her why so many people would feel the need to fabricate carbon-copy stories of this problem and post it on forums such as this. She ended the call with, "We have heard of some issues, but American Honda is not claiming any default at this point." They are well aware of what is going on. "Informed," you are right; we must continue to fight this anyway we can.
  • jc5462jc5462 Member Posts: 2
    We have a 2006 CRV and the compressor blew up internally. Whole system needs replacement to the cost of $3565.13. Technician explained that there would be fragments inbedded in the rubber hoses and if they replaced the compressor the fragments could work loose and damage the new compressor. We live in Southern Arizona so AC is important. Car has 51600 miles and is just outside of the warranty period. Called Honda America and got a case number and just waiting to hear back.
  • lori56lori56 Member Posts: 19
    Did anyone who experienced a/c problems have an extended warranty, Honda Care? Shouldn't it cover these expenses?
  • madams1madams1 Member Posts: 101
    I have not yet experienced the problem, but the Honda Care warranty would cover if you were still within the mileage and time period. I misjudged our mileage when we bought Honda Care on our 2003 CRV and ran out due to time not mileage. Still kicking myself for not getting the 7 year/100k instead of 5 year/100k. The difference in price is not much at all.
  • lori56lori56 Member Posts: 19
    Could someone comment of the VIN numbers? Some CRV's are totally made in Japan; others are asssembled in Ohio and, I think, Mexico. Some engines are US. I'd like to know if there's any difference in quality; i.e., that is, do the Japanese models have fewer problems? (I've got a 2004 Rav4 made in Japan, and absolutely no trouble with it.) I want to buy a CRV as a second vehicle, and very few come from Japan... Thanks!
  • jpettibonejpettibone Member Posts: 51
    My understanding, strangely enough, is that in this case it's the Japanese models that have more problems. Mine was a J model, as is most if not all of those who have reported problems. Search the thread for this- it's been discussed before.
  • w1johnw1john Member Posts: 6
    SHSR VINs are just likely to fail. The bottom line is all 2002-2006 CR-Vs were installed with KEIHIN A/C compressors, and eventually they will all fail. As of tomorrow I will have sold my CR-V and have mixed emotions about it, but at least I don't have to worry about when it will fail and how much it will cost. Shame on Honda for not recalling this faulty part! Next vehicle will be a Toyota.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    We have a 2006 CRV and the compressor blew up internally. Whole system needs replacement to the cost of $3565.13. Technician explained that there would be fragments inbedded in the rubber hoses and if they replaced the compressor the fragments could work loose and damage the new compressor. We live in Southern Arizona so AC is important. Car has 51600 miles and is just outside of the warranty period. Called Honda America and got a case number and just waiting to hear back.

I think you are the first with Gen 2.5. There was a mid model redesign in 2005, which supposed inluded the redesigned system.

Was yours made in the Japan? Look at the VIN number and if the first digit is "J" then it is Japan, "S" is for UK.
  • lening99lening99 Member Posts: 4
    My 2003 CRV blew the AC system at only 45,000 miles, and I live in the northeast and rarely used it. This CRV was assembled in the UK.

I am saying "no" to any more Hondas.
  • lening99lening99 Member Posts: 4
    As previously posted, I was denied via phone twice any help from American Honda with my AC problem. They did, however, respond to a fax that I sent them (another rejection). I've taken to refaxing my letter on a daily basis, I suggest everyone with a blown AC system do the same.

American Honda sustomer service fax:
    (310) 783-3023
  • sp03sp03 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Honda Crv with 75,789 miles...extended warranty ended at 75K. My car shook and then stalled when the compressor exploded. Damage $4,500!! American Honda offering to pay 1/2....I feel like they should pay for all the parts, as there is an obvious defect. Unsure if I should get "tuff" with them or if that will end the offer they have made. This is a RECALL item! Honda is making money off of us because of their faulty parts, its criminal! If anyone has tried getting tuff with honda let me know if it worked for you. I hate to be a witch but if thats the only way...i plan to threaten to contact: Center for Auto Safety, Council of Better Business Bureaus, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (Office of Defects Investigation), My State Attorney General, Consumer Reports and the current class action lawsuit honda-lawsuit.com.
  • joyfulonejoyfulone Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Honda CR-V with 45,000 miles on it. So far i've had differential problems at under 20,000 and now the AC isn't working. At first the dealership said i had no problem other then I ran out of freon. So they recharged the AC and two weeks later it ran out again. Another refill but this time with a dye to show any leaks. I was to return in a week and when I did I was told there wasn't a leak. Okay, and now another two weeks has past and my AC only blows warm air. With my extended warranty in hand I was told they have no record of me having this warranty. I have an appointment soon and I plan on insisting they honor the contract. It's the Platuim plan 7yrs/70,000 miles and cost 1,600.00. This is the first time I have bought a new car and I trusted Honda's reputation. Sure wish I'd chosen Toyota like my friends did. They haven't had a single issue yet.
  • jc5462jc5462 Member Posts: 2
    it starts with a "J"

Still no reply from Honda, but after reading a lot of what is on here and on "Topix" I will be fighting with them like a mongoose on a cobra if they deny any assistance. I also saw there is a class action suit going on.
    I have a 2004 Honda Crv with 75,789 miles...extended warranty ended at 75K. My car shook and then stalled when the compressor exploded. Damage $4,500!! American Honda offering to pay 1/2...

At 75,789 miles you car is still under the extended warranty coverage. Honda admitted that its odometers were not precise and allow for 5% error. Your Extended warranty coverage ends at 75,000 miles + mileage at delivery (should be in the paperwork) + 3750 or approximately around 78,750 + mileage at delivery.

http://www.hondaodometerclassaction.com/

Do people live under a rock? or not check their mail?
  • jpettibonejpettibone Member Posts: 51
    Wow, and this is not evidence of poor engineering at honda? Not to mention the fact that they had to be sued to admit it? I suspect they are simply waiting for a successful lawsuit to admit the compressor issue too.
    Ok folks... had my compressor replaced last week... after having system tested.. leaks found, etc.. so $1500 on my 2004 CRV.. paid off in June and turned 90k today on the odometer... and I was back at my dealer today less than 2 weeks later... A/C is cool but noticed in the past 2 days that its' not driving smoothly.... feels sluggish... like you would going up a hill and not having the power cause the A/C is on. this occurs while driving on the highway at 75mph...and also found it when driving around town. Has anyone else experienced this sluggishness with their NEW compressor? I'm so not happy today. I got a loaner from my dealer but I want it fixed.. It never drove like this with the A/C on and the original compressor...So far they haven't found anything.. thoughts people.... has this happened to you? Anything to help please.
    Wow, and this is not evidence of poor engineering at honda? Not to mention the fact that they had to be sued to admit it? I suspect they are simply waiting for a successful lawsuit to admit the compressor issue too.

All vehicle odometers are off by as much as 10%. It just happens that Honda has the money to pay the hungry lawyers. Check out the "fees" section of a lawsuit and you will see that lawyers are the only ones who benefit from class actions.
  • hondajavehondajave Member Posts: 1
    Do you have any information on the class action lawsuit against Honda? My 2004 CRV now has had its 2nd AC system go out. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
  • helene76helene76 Member Posts: 2
    Previously had a 2004 CRV, air conditioning went out at about 50,000 miles. paid $2,500 for replacement. but loved the car otherwise and even bought another CRV (2006 with about 80,000miles on it). today the air conditioning stopped working. not sure i want to spend thousands to get it replaced. but feel stupid for buying the 2nd CRV when the it's the same problem...
  • deborahedeborahe Member Posts: 1
    I too am getting the run around from Honda America over an Air Compressor that failed at 70,000miles. Does the class action suit cover honda civic hybrids or just CRVs? If it does cover the hybrids, how do I join in, and who out there has gotten relief from honda without taking such measures?
  • helene76helene76 Member Posts: 2
    Have 2006 Honda CRV with 88,000 miles on it. Last week air conditioner STOPPED. Had previously had 2004 CRV and same thing happened at about 50,000 miles. Had system replaced for same reasons everyone else has talked about on these sites to the tune of 2,500 dollars. Had the 2004 for about another year and then traded in on 2006. Didn't realize it was a systemic problem.

Called Honda USA today and was told it was not covered under any recall or program and that it was all on my dime to get it fixed. Customer service guy was clearly reading from a script, though he did leave the phone on hold for a few minutes "to get additional information".

Told him I'd had 2 cars with the very same issue, had done some basic internet research and found that there are thousands of folk with same issue and that I was very dissappointed about how Honda USA was refusing to even acknowledge issue. He just re-read the script about "unfortunately this is not covered by any warranty after 36,000 miles and any repairs would be my responsiblity."
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Did anyone who experienced a/c problems have an extended warranty, Honda Care? Shouldn't it cover these expenses? "

My father in law had his 2001 (late model) CR-V compressor blow, and it was covered under the Hondacare warranty.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Probably best to dump it. AC is one of those things that seems difficult to fix right unfortunately. :lemon:

So much for the myth of superior Honda Japanese engineering. Maybe one day people will wake up and not spend elevated prices for their vehicles. When the boards get filled with AC, tranny, differential etc. problems, you gotta start wondering if its smart to buy a Honda any more???
  • kittygirlkittygirl Member Posts: 6
    I'm having the EXACT same problem. I had my air conditioner compressor replaced and it was fine for the last 1 1/2 years....until the last month or so. AC still cold, but I have this sluggishness. I also have a rough idle that just developed today. The car actually stalled when I went to make a turn, so now I'm taking it in Tuesday. Did they figure out what it is? I thought maybe the idle needed adjusting or it was the transmission, but now you have me thinking it is related to the ac.
    the dealer had the car for about a day... I took it for a ride with the mechanic and got on 95 north - went up hill and had the pedal to the floor - definately how my CRV handled... she's a 5 speed and has no problem going up hills but the a/c on, I had no power... felt like the vehicle was tugging... They drove it without me that afternoon and many times the following day but weren't getting the same feel that I was with the sluggishness. They ended up flushing the coolant and recharging the system. They seemed to think there was too much pressure from when the new compressor was installed and the coolant flushed and recharged. This seemed to resolve my issues. Since it's been 1 1/2 years for you, I'm not sure if this is the same thing. Good luck! I just know that at 90k on this vehicle, it BETTER last another 5 years with THIS new compressor... Or I will be fighing Honda on this sooner than later.
  • dann7dann7 Member Posts: 5
    My 2003 Honda was purchased in June of the same year. In the summer of 2005 at 36,000 miles, the a/c system blew up sending metal shards all throughout the hoses in the vehicle and rendering them replaceable. Fortunately, I had purchased the extended warranty and only had to pay a $50.00 deductible, but Honda did try to get me to pay for the damaged hoses, I didn't. In the hot hot summer in 2007 @ 76,000 miles, the air conditioning system blew up again same as before. Again, I only had to pay the $50.00 deductible as my extended warranty kicked in. In the summer of 2008, the motor blower had to be replaced so I had no a/c again. That was also replaced under extended warranty. Well Lo and behold, what happens in September 2009 @ 115,000 miles, the a/c system blows up again. When I contacted Honda corporate, I was told "they are very strict about mileage". As far as I am concerned mileage has nothing do do with this, obviously this is a defective system or part that is doing damage to the entire a/c system. I too find the vehicle to be sluggish when the a/c is on. The main reason I had purchased this model was because of all the positive feedback I received from other Honda owners. Sorry now that I listened. Guess I will be going back to Toyota. Have a 91 corolla that runs like a top. I am sure that Honda will try and beat me down on this as my extended warranty has expired. I was given an estimate of $3265.00. I know they are kidding. I wanted my next vehicle to be the Honda Pilot, but that never will happen now.
    Looking forward to anymore feed back and thank you to every body for all of the info.
    dann7
  • hitanveerhitanveer Member Posts: 1
    I have 2004 Honda CRV. AC burnt down. Paid dealer $65 for diagnosis. Dealear stated that AC got debris in it and need whole replacement. Cost $3200.
    I called Honda Moter Company. They refuse tocover it. Vehicle has 67k miles on it.
    It seems like common problem. Is there any site that helps on it?
  • dann7dann7 Member Posts: 5
    The VIN on my 2003 CR-V begins with SHSR. This is a terrible injustice that Honda can make lemons and never have to recall or compensate the customer. I assuredly will NEVER buy a Honda again and will try to convince anyone I know who wants a Honda to stick with Toyota.

Thanks for the info on VIN's
  • w1johnw1john Member Posts: 6
    There is a pending class action lawsuit that you can participate in if you were affected by the A/C compressor defect.
    http://www.honda-lawsuit.com/
    Thanks for the info. on the class action suit. I will make sure I have all my doci and will do this ASAP. It can't hurt if ALL of us respond. My CRV is a 2004 and has 90k on it... just paid off and I hope to NOT have to go thru a 2nd compressor during the next 90k that I own this vehicle. Thanks again.
  • moneypit6moneypit6 Member Posts: 6
    74,500 miles. About 2 weeks ago paid over $500 to have the front O2 sensor replaced at the dealer. Today A/C bit the dust. Don't know exactly what the problem is but will find out tomorrow and the cost. I cannot believe all the problems with the A/C in these vehicles. Had I known, would have never purchased one. Am most disappointed. Will post later the details but from the sound it made I am concerned. It is hot in Texas in the summer. :mad:
    Can you give me any info on the class action suit. A/C blew up today in my 2004 Honda CRV. Have only 74,500 miles on it. Garage kept, oil changes and maintenance as required. Never saw this coming. :mad:
    Today, 2004 Honda CRV A/C went out. Don't know the cost to repair yet. 74,500 miles, kept in the garage, oil changes and maintenance done regularly. Had o2 sensor replaced about 2 weeks ago at a cost of over $500.00. Once I get it back fixed there will be a 'FOR SALE" sign on it immediatley. Will do a little more homework next time I purchase a new car and I can tell you it WILL NOT be a Honda. :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • kittygirlkittygirl Member Posts: 6
    I don't think it is related to the air conditioner. They cleaned the throttle body and reset the air idle control. It seems to have helped a bit. They could duplicate the rough idle, but the car did not stall. The days have been cooler so I haven't had the ac on as much. Hopefully all is well now. It seems like people are only having to replace the ac once.....so hopefully you and I will be able to have no problems for at least 5 more years! My 2003 only has 56,000 on it, so I really want to keep it a loooong time.
  • hondaacstinkshondaacstinks Member Posts: 3
    Same problem as everyone else. Honda quoted me $1400 if it's just the compressor and $3400 if it "contaminated the system", which I'm willing to bet is the case after all the grinding/crunching metal sounds I heard coming from the front left part under my hood. It smoked, made a hissing sound, smelled like burning, and metal crunching and grinding.

95,000 miles, excellent condition, oil changes every 3,000 miles, and meticulous maintenance records.

Went to the law firm who's doing the class action suit - if you're reading this, maybe if there's enough of us hopefully we'll get our money back.

Thanks for the Honda lawsuit link. Hopefully we can get our money back. You sound like me. All oil changes made on time and meticulous maintenance records. In fact, the Honda dealer is the only person who has touched my auto until this problem came up. My compressor and condenser only cost me $1,472.90. I guess I heard mine go out before you did. Going to keep driving it until I get out of Bible School because of the amount of miles I drive. Don't want to put all those miles on anything new at this time. Thanks again for the info and I pray for the restoration of our finances in this situation.
  • pdoepdoe Member Posts: 1
    I first experienced what Honda referred to as the "Black Death" (metal shards contaminating the whole A/C system) at 99,000 miles in my 2003 Honda CR-V bank in 2007. I had bought the extended warranty so it was covered, otherwise they quoted me $3800 plus labor. So here I am 2 years later and my compressor has locked up once again. I'm extremely disillusioned with Honda. Thank you for the link to the lawsuit.
  • maileleimailelei Member Posts: 3
    My 2002 Honda CRV's AC compressor blew up and it cost me $1760 to repair. Metals damaged the whole ac system. I got 2 other quotes for the same about $1,700. One mechanic refused to give me a quote after a bad experience. He repaired a crv with this problem and the problem occured again. Needless to say, I am broke and very very disappointed. I thought Honda's were good reliable cars. Honda customer service was no help of course. Time to join the class action suit. This is completely unfair and bad business practice that there was no recall.
  • jdpolingjdpoling Member Posts: 1
    Class Action may be the only recourse. My CRV is a 2002 but on two occasions once at around 40k miles and now again at 77k miles I have had significant repair costs for the A/C including a full replacement of Compressor, Clutch, Coil, Condenser Fan. The first time, Honda did reimburse me. This time, the total repair cost $1,939. That is almost 10% of the purchased price of the car (20% had I paid for both repairs) . That is a significant cost of ownership for a car that sold for $22k only 7 years ago and with relatively low mileage, this is a horrendous reliability factor. American Honda could not have been less understanding and told me that there was nothing that could be done - this would not be considered for compensation. Judging by the number of comments on this site, this is not a isolated issue Honda is not stepping up and providing a reliable or quality product nor are they willing to provide quality support of a multiple failure issue. If there is anyone preparing a class action on this please respond – I’m in. Tell your fiends to read this site, it could save them money and frustration.
  • maileleimailelei Member Posts: 3
    Here is the link to register for the class action.

• mypoorhondamypoorhonda Member Posts: 1
    my CR-V, with 186,000 miles had the AC go out today. There was a little bit of smoke from under the hood before I turned the AC off. I dropped the car at my Firestone shop today, they will check it tomorrow. The mechanic took a quick look under the hood and said the compressor was trying to engage. I will let you know what I find out. After reading the posts, I fear the worst! Thanks Honda!
  • zgreat1zgreat1 Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone have more information on this pending lawsuit? That is, the number of owners who have filed, the cost of filing, the type of settlement and the proposed settlement date, etc. My 2003 CR-V a/c hissed (and blew hot air right after that) on (of all day) ....9/11/09...with less than 70,000 miles on the odometer!!! :mad: :lemon: :P