Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• discoissuesdiscoissues Member Posts: 23
    Common problem is the 'crankshaft positioning sensor' needs replacing. Most likely the problem... $90 part. Good luck!
  • goshannongoshannon Member Posts: 1
    Is there a fuel filter on this vehicle Where do I find it.

Thanks,
    Goshannon
  • nakedhillbillynakedhillbilly Member Posts: 2
    How did you over ride the immobilizer? I have a 2001 discovery 2 that won't start and it has the M and S lights flashing, the hill descent control failure light is on and the traction control light is on. It turns over great but has no fire. Does this sound like the immobilizer?
    All those lights shouldn't have anything to do with it not starting. Common problem is the Crankshaft Positioning Sersor... about $90 part. If it's no good the car will not start.
  • landroverblowslandroverblows Member Posts: 12
    the M and S lights have something to do with your electrical system and the traction control and hill descent failure are related to the "wheelspeed sensor"... i'm not sure about M&S but the wheelspeed sensor is a $1500 part... it controls 3 parts: traction control, hill descent, and ABS... if one goes down, then all 3 lights come on...
  • abutomaabutoma Member Posts: 21
    I cannot tell you on the open Net how to do that since that would give a carte blanche to any car thief. But I can tell you to override it takes some work the first time.
    Good luck!
    if you refer to the override: Well, it depends of how you would like to take out the dashboard. Once behind the dash the electric job is quickly done. I used 3-4 hrs on the job
  • nakedhillbillynakedhillbilly Member Posts: 2
    Have been told by quite a few it's the crank position sensor. I have one coming but if it doesn't fix the problem I will definitely be getting back with you. Thanks for the reply
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    From time to time I drop by this site and I am constantly amazed by the trouble people have with Discos and that anyone still owns one.

We have a 1987 Ford pickup that we leave parked out in the weather for weeks at a time on Block Island, RI. It still starts with simply an 1/8 turn of the key, runs well, with no glitches and minimal rust. Oh, yeh. It is now 22 years old.

I acknowledge that it lacks the panache of a Disco but when I walk off the ferry and up to the parking area after having been away for a month I know it will start and get me home.
    You are absolutely right. Although, we had years of no issues... the issues start at about 80k to 90k. Ours now has 113k and we've done everything that goes bad: blown head gasket, where ever coolant can leak it did (replaced all seals/gaskets), power window motors, water pump, crankshaft positioning sensor, etc. That being said, we still really enjoy our Disco. It's an '02 w/ 113k miles and really isn't worth much so we'll probably just keep it and maybe equip it for off-road adventures....
  • discovery2001discovery2001 Member Posts: 1
    hello: did you ever find the firing order for the coil packs on your discovery? I have a 2001 discovery and need the order. I have been given some numbers but I am not sure where the numbers start in ref to the coil. Do you start with coil 1 and start at what corner of the coil?? And what is the correct corner to start?? Thank you in advance for your help!! Brooks
  • pinoyvr6pinoyvr6 Member Posts: 1
    have figured out the issue you are having????? i just installed a remotestarter in a customer DII
  • dkk2dkk2 Member Posts: 1
    runs ruff, idels badly , engine light stays on.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Dear runs rough, idles badly and check engine light is on: This is SOP with a Disco. You signed up for it when you bought the car.
  • ga_rovergirlga_rovergirl Member Posts: 2
    :mad: Have replaced both hoses, fan sensor, every time I run my a/c it over heats. Turn off the a/c it stops. Also when I run the a/c it leaks water in the passenger floorboard. Not that it has anything to do with it I also just replaced alternator,fan clutch,starter wire,HELP!!!!!!! Before I beat it to pieces with the jack handle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ga_rovergirlga_rovergirl Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2010
  • newbie205newbie205 Member Posts: 4
    Hello all I'm in Alabama and I'm looking at purchasing a 2001 Land Rover Discovery that has 118000 miles on it. Its a beautiful car light green with woodgrain threw out and dual moonroofs. Ib took it 4 a pre purchase inspection and was told it needs head,valve,and valley gasket kit replacement, spark plugs serp.belt and rear pads & rotors. Do you think its worth getting these things replaced? Truck is 6000 and repairs are 1000 non dealer but at dealer 2000:
  • heyomarheyomar Member Posts: 6
    They're charging you too much. And I think the repair costs will be more than that.
    I had to do all that on my 2002... it's going to cost alot. Probably more than what you would pay for the car. Btw, this is an issue with all of them with high mileage..... :sick:
    edited July 2010
    That's what the shop that specialzes in foreiegn auto (non dealer btw) that did the inspection said they would charge to fix it 2000 I have it on paper. I think most important was the gaskets I mentioned. I have a guy who works on lexus, land rover and bmw who is a friend of my brothers and he said about 1000: which is the exspensive the parts or labor? I went to roverparts.com and the parts were not that much just the rotors
    Is this difficult to do? How much would something like this cost and would I have to go to the dealer. The 2001 I'm purchasing does not have a remote wth it so I'm needing something
  • heyomarheyomar Member Posts: 6
    The thing is, once they start taking apart your engine to replace the gaskets, they're just going to find more things wrong. I had a 2000 Disco for 7 years. It was the ultimate love/hate relationship. The hate eventually won, but I still miss that damn thing. If you can buy for less than $5000, it might make the repair bills a little easier to take.
    $5,000 is way too much for a 2001... even in decent condition If you get it for $2,000... you're looking at 4-6k in repairs. Where do you live? I have a mechanic in Torrance, CA that did everything that goes on a 100k + miles Disco. He's reasonable unlike the dealers or specialized Land Rover mechanics. Btw, I also have a love/hate relationship with my wife's Disco. Great looking car and when it running properly... it's a really nice ride and awesome off road. But... buyer beware!!! I can be reach at vintagebmw@live.com - My hobby is restoring 70s BMW... the 2002 and the milestone coupes.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Please do not include your email address in postings to the Forums. Thanks! :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • disco99disco99 Member Posts: 74
    edited August 2010
    Hey guys..Long time no chime...
    I bought my Disco in 03 with 55k on the Odo and I'm still enjoying it at 130k miles. Owning a Disco is just like hitting golf balls for the first time; you either hate it instantly or u become an instant addict..I took Nanuq's advice on this board..I've maintained my truck religiously and I am still enjoying it($4000 maintenance and repairs over 7 1/2 years...I believe some of these trucks are lemons from day 1..I have been fortunate to avoid the major knowns disasters such as ..Head gaskets, broken driveshafts at high speeds which can in turn damageuour tranny(10k fix)--
    -
    Please understand these facts:
    ... The 3 amigos are not a death sentence..Mine has been on for 4 yrs and my truck has not been affected at all..in rain, snow and sleet..Just ignore them and drive..DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!! Get great tires..
    ...All these trucks leak..tranny, diifs,engine,tranfer case, power steering pump..Let lucas oil be your friend.
    .... They have no resale value...Zero..So I plan on driving mine to 200kif possible..
    ...They are guzzlers 12-15 MPG
    ....Higher insurance premiums...
    ....Only 188 HP on that old V8..
    ....Service engine light comes and goes..
    .....Easy and cheap to do basic maintenance...
    ....Off road performance...umatched..

Having said all that I am now in the market for an 04 Disco..I love these things....but they're not all lovable...I hope all that helps the newbies to Disco...

Here's my journey after 75k miles on the road..
    2003..Radiator replaced and New tires.....$700
    2004..M&S light flashing..Bought a new battery at sears...Fixed..$100
    2005..Service engine light..sluggish acceleration..Bought new MAF sensor $110
    2006..Truck's rear suspension drops..Bought 2 new airbags $400..
    2007..New driveshaft with greasable heads...$500
    2008..New rotors and O2 sensors...New tires...$1000
    2009..No problems
    2010..No problems....
  • mbugmbug Member Posts: 1
    Hey 99 I am looking at trading my 2002 honda civic for a 2002 disco II sd. He just did a lost of work to it. My question is can you [non-permissible content removed] the rear seats if it did not originally com with them. What can you tell me to look out for? It has 120k of it but muy honda has 160k. What are your thoughts???? :confuse:
    Give me a list of what he recently did to it??? I can then better reply.....
    Al
  • bamagwynbamagwyn Member Posts: 1
    Mine was totalled and I still have the complete owners manual set (leather binder, leather folio, etc). How can get rid of it? Anyone interested or know where I can sell it?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We aren't set up for buying and selling on the forum, but owner's manuals show up on eBay all the time.
  • 99salty99salty Member Posts: 6
    We have a new battery and it is still won't start after sitting for two to three days. We are not leaving anything on and have checked the obvious things. Any ideas?
  • 99salty99salty Member Posts: 6
    The cruise control will not work-everything else is ok.
    Suggestions?
    I have a 2001 land rover disco 2 the service engine light came on about 2weeks ago then lastweek the truck wouldn't start battery totally dead, got a jumpoff drove to store and tried to start again totally dead. Does this mean time for new battery.I noticed a sticker on current battery has the date October 2006
    Well, a bit nmore info would not be bad.
    When you jumpstarted the beast did the service engine light go off?
    If it did I am sure the battery needs replacement. 3-5 years depending on care you give it, usually is the most you can expect from a battery
    :)
  • tgaitotgaito Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2010
    I'm looking at an '04 Disco with average miles, cost is well below KBB but this is in the post...

"When the car starts cold it runs rough and the check engine light flashes on and off. Once it is warm the car runs smooth and quiet but the check engine light needs reset. Mechanic thinks it has a big vacuum leak when cold"

Guy selling doesn't want to fix, he wants to sell and let someone else deal with it.

Should I be concerned about this issue, or that the guy doesn't want to fix and sell closer to book value? He either really doesn't want to fix it, doesn't know how, or knows its big money to fix it.

If it is a vacuum issue, any one have a rough idea of cost to fix?
    How many miles, exactly, does she actually have? Beware... most any fix on a Disco is expensive. Also, you should always pay well below KKB for a used Disco no matter what the condition. Too many issues on higher mileage Discos... coolant leakage issues (everywhere) - many gaskets will need replacing, blown head gasket (only a matter of time), crankshaft positioning sensor, power window regulators, etc. Count on the issues starting around 75k-85k miles. The good news... she is a very fun car to drive when running properly and hard to beat for any off road adventure. Not to mention, great looking. If you do buy her just make sure the mileage is not too high and you have a good (reasonable) mechanic lined up. Not a dealer... way too expensive! Good luck....
  • landroverblowslandroverblows Member Posts: 12
    I'd hate to screw the poor sap trying to get rid of his Disco as I was once that guy, but DO NOT BUY A LAND ROVER... The problems they have are serious and lead to very costly repairs... Only a Rover dealership can fix it and unless you're OK with getting gouged you are better off with a Jeep Liberty... You'd be able to buy a pretty nice one after the money you'll have to put into fixing the Disco... When I turned mine in I had 9 lights lit up on my dashboard, 3 were flashing intermittently in non-unison... Very annoying and hard to ignore... Regardless of what he says, it does not run "fine"... And from what it sounds like, the "3 Amigos" problem isn't far off... This is when the Traction Control, ABS, and BRAKE dash lights are lit... A $3000 fix...
    Thanks for the info and tips. Found the mileage @ 94k, high for a 2004. Good tips for the 75-85k mark. I've been looking at 2001-2004's and they're all around 70k-80k in mileage. Maybe I should stay away from them.
    This is typically the reaction I get when talking about LR. I've heard the horror stories, and I've heard the praise. Unfortunately, I've been there with the Liberty. I had an '04, not my style. I wish they would release a anniversary edition Cherokee, those were sweet.

Thanks for the definition of the three amigos, I heard a lot about it and was wondering what it was.
    Unfortunately, maybe you should stay away. Unless, like mine which has 117k plus miles, all the repairs I mentioned have been done. I forgot to mention the ABS issues... also expensive! If at 94k the head gasket hasn't blown... it's just a matter of time before it does. ">
  • 18wheelerbob18wheelerbob Member Posts: 5
    After reading this site, I'm wondering if I had made the right choice? Ofcourse I understand of the pros and cons, and every peach taste different, it really depends on the up kept of the Disco. I found this one with 117k miles documented via Carfax as a Florida car, It really looks brand new inside and out from a women for the past year and a half. Took a test drive and she handle nice and tight with no noise what so ever. Now, after reading this site I'm not sure if I should take delivery on Nov. 27, 2010 or forfeit my $500.00 deposit? The total cost is $4000.00. Please advise.
    Did you already buy it? Have you reviewed all the major repairs that have been done already? If so, what are they? With 117k on her... if certain things have not happened yet... you can count on them. Buyer beware never meant so much than with a Disco. The key is what has been done already?
    I really can't answer that question but I do have plenty of time before I actually pick up the vehicle and pay the $3500.00 balance thats due. If you can give a list of what to expect or better yet what should have been done on the Disco I would greatly appreciate it! I don't mine losing $500.00 but to invest an additional $3500.00 then add on the expense of needed repairs that's crazy :) I do most of the work myself but I don't want to be in my garage after spending $4000.00 grand on a vehicle. Thanks again.
    edited November 2010
    Should I kill the deal or not? I've gotten records of the majority of all needed work before the 115k mile mark. Everything was done except the head gaskets? But I have cold feet now, and considering of forfeiting my deposit ($500) which I see as a small price to pay for the peace of mind. Not to mention the check engine light just came on I was told. The code(s) will be given to me by next week. That 2004 silverado 4dr 2500 series w/93k miles sure looks very good now :)
    Has anyone ever attempted to swap out the engine and tranny for a small block chevy/ford sucessfully?
  • pcartertnpcartertn Member Posts: 1
    No, I haven't gotten that desperate. But I was wondering about doing just that. The vehicle itself is in great condition. I had a '96 and it was tough as nails. Before I let th '01 go I'll try someting along those lines. Keep me in the loop if you find someone that has done this.
    Okay... any ideas or websites to purchase a used or remanufactured 2002 Disco SE II front bumper? I can't stomach paying $695 for OEM new.
    Thx!
    Has anyone experience this warning? The seller is trying to convince me that the check engine code is for a Gas Cap (replacement) or water in the Gas Tank? Either way I'm pulling the plug on this sale tonight. It's a very nice SUV overall but I wish a engine/tranny conversion was done. I probably would have bopught just to do the conversion :)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2010
    If it was a simple fix, why didn't the seller simply replace the gas cap and dump some HEET in the tank to absorb the water?

You could test drive it and swing by an auto parts store and get the code verified and see if there's an "easy" fix, and then hammer on the price more to make it worthwhile for you to fix it. Sure sounds like a sketchy deal right now though.

If you post the code, someone here should be able to point out the issues that could be triggering the check engine light.
  • bdamourbdamour Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2010
    I am facing what appears to be several problems, but let me start by saying that here in Djibouti, I have found no one who seems to know anything about US model Land Rovers - or gasoline powered vehicles in general - everything is diesel.

My problem is with a 2001 Discovery II 4.0 Bosch engine.

While out in the regions (where gasoline is not available for sale) I found someone who would sell me a 20 can of gas so I could get home. I have done this on occassion before - gasoline is sometimes used in privately owned generators. Unfortunately in this instance the guy selling it didn't confide in me that this gasoline was mixed with oil for an outboard motor - and lord only knows what kind of oil was mixed in what ratio.

In any event, a mile down the road, the vehicle would not accellerate beyond an idle, virtually no power and skipping and popping. I called a friend, who towed me to his business. His mechanic (last worked on a diesel Land Rover - 1970's) over the next several days dropped the gas tank, cleaned the strainer, fuel pump and tank. He blew out the lines but didn't want to attempt to take out the injectors to clean them. I provided fresh gasoline, added injector cleaner and the vehicle started, ran rough but smoothed out and we were able to get it home. Over the next several months, it got rougher, cutting out occassionally as if the fuel was shut off, the "service engine soon" light flashing, but then would smooth out and keep running. I got a code reader and found that it was throwing the following codes P1300, P0300, P0304, P0305, P0306 and ocassionally one or more of the other cylinders were misfiring. I replaced the sparkplugs, and they all seem to be firing, but I can't tell if they are firing when they are supposed to. In the last week the vehicle would not accelerate over 2000 RPM or over 37 mph without the engine cutting out. And last night after running relatively smoothly (under 2000RPM/37 MPH - but hot, I shut it down but it would not restart. It seemed to be firing on 2 or 3 or 4 cylinders, but seemed like the timing was way off.

Help! I have a code reader, not much experience with Land Rover systems or repairs and little availability of parts, testing equip etc. :confuse: :sick: :cry:
  • bdamourbdamour Member Posts: 2
    So, after sitting overnight and cooling down and feathering the accelerator repeatedly, the vehicle started and ran as long as I continually stroked the gas. The code reader threw codes P1300, P0300, P301, P0303, P0305, and P0307. So it looks like it is running - barely - on cylinders 2,4,6, and 8. Any ideas out there? :surprise: :confuse: