Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V AC Compressor Problems

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I don't blame you for being unhappy. I would be too although 4500.00 sounds absoultly NUTS for a repair like that.

Wnen ANY A/C compressor fails internally, metal fragments can go through thje system. I don't think the entire system would need to be replaced but as a precaution they probably don't want to take the chance.

I remember back when I ran a large shop, it seemed that every time I tried to save a customer money it would backfire and I would end up eating a job.

shops get hardened in that manner. People don'[t remember that the shop tried to save them money. Thye just know the job went bad.

I don't know...I don't know that I would call an A/C compressor that lasted 68,000 miles as being "defective".
  • macawpamacawpa Member Posts: 3
    Simply the failure of the component is not my issue. It is the symptom of the failure - metal shavings contaminating the whole A/C system resulting in exhorbitant repair bill. I saw the shavings myself within line and filter. I have encountered previous instances of simple compressor failure with no extenuating symptoms and proceeded with repair at a reasonable cost.
    Thanks WZLY99 for posting Service Bulletin Link !
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Oh c'mon Isell. 68,000 miles is barely broken in for any car component. This isn't the 60's anymore when we all dumped cars when they turned three years old.
    edited July 2010
    My point was that when an A/C compressor fails internally it'll blow metal particles throughout the system. This is true of ANY car or even a home unit.

If it just loses a bearing or quits pumping this probably won't happen.

I just don't believe the enrire system would need to be replaced.
    Steve, I believe it's matter of averages.

Let's suppose the AVERAGE A/c compressor is good for 140,000 miles.

Some will fail at 250,000 miles and on the other end, a few may fail at 65,000 miles.

It's just life, luck and the hand we are dealt.

If a person drives 300,000 miles and never replaces a compressor, they don't come here and express their happiness but when it fails before they think it should then it becomes a real problem and a "defective" part.

Hondas aren't unique to this problem. this can happen to any car that has air conditioning.

And, you're right. In the 60's most cars were shot around 80,000 miles but people expected them to be. Now, we expect our cars to last forever!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Let's suppose the AVERAGE A/c compressor is good for 140,000 miles.

Don't say that - I just rolled over 141k on my van and the hot weather really isn't here yet. :D
    OK, let's make that 240,000 miles! :)
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    "Let's suppose the AVERAGE A/c compressor is good for 140,000 miles.

Some will fail at 250,000 miles and on the other end, a few may fail at 65,000 miles.

It's just life, luck and the hand we are dealt."

In today's ISO world of quality control, that by definition would be a bad design. It is not the 60's and quality should be much more consistent than that. In fact +/- 10% is generally no longer considered anywhere near "acceptable quality" in today's manufacturing world.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    In fact +/- 10% is generally no longer considered anywhere near "acceptable quality" in today's manufacturing world.

The problem is that the amount of use, abuse and driver habits impose +/- 50% or more on wear and tear characteristics. Theoretically, I suppose you could get to +/- 10% in the real world but I don't think most would be willing to pay the price. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,122
    Honda's past reputation was built on the idea that their manufacturing had very little room for deviation from the mean. The cars, no matter what you thought of the design, were built of parts precisely manufacturered. People even seemed to accept that as still true through the transmissions and failed more frequently.

There's absolutely no way owners should accept that the AC compressor designed, built, and installed by Honda is anything less.

That Honda has had a failure rate on these and didn't change the design or engineering, is bad. Charging customers an outrageous cost for parts is also bad, even out of warranty. Honda should be replacing these at a nominal cost to the end customer.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    But, when I sold my '02 CR-V in 2008.... the chances of a $3000 repair bill were part of my motivation..

CR-V compressor failures are not happening at any sort of "normal" rate.. My CR-V gave me 6.5 years and 106K miles of exceptional service.. but, I thought it was time to take my money off the table.. (great resale value was another bonus!).

If you read this forum, and you've already replaced your compressor once... then, I'm not sure why you are holding on to your vehicle... As the affected cars get older and older, Honda will be much less likely to assist in the repair costs, as you can see by reading back a few years (whether that seems fair or not).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Except Honda didn't design or build those A/C compressors. They buy them from a quality company that builds them. That same company builds compressors for other makes and models too.

I contend that the failure rates aren't any higher than any other cars they were installed on. W don't hear complaints about Accords and Elements and they use the same compressors.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    I contend that the failure rates aren't any higher than any other cars they were installed on.

don't hear complaints about Accords and Elements and they use the same compressors.

These two consecutive statements seem contradictory to me... Or, at least, the second one doesn't support the first one... :confuse:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

OK, I'll try to clarify it.

From everything I hear, CRV's do not have a higher failure rate than any other Honda. They really don't fail very often.
    "The problem is that the amount of use, abuse and driver habits impose +/- 50% or more on wear and tear characteristics."

I agree with you that driver traits and habits can impact the drive train, but A/C - all you do is turn it on or off, so how does driving habits affect this? If Isell is correct and other vehicles using the same unit aren't having problems, then it seems to me that two good engineering departments, Honda and Denso, ought to be able to isolate what differences or modifications are peculiar to the CRV, or its A/C installation and solve it. And I also agree with another post that Honda should lean on its dealers to stop the price gouging on this issue.
    edited July 2010
    I don't want to sound like a broken record here but CRV's DO NOT have a higher A/C compressor failure rate than other Hondas according to several techs and Service Advisors and our local Honda Rep.

I just got back from having our 2003 CRV smog tested and now even I'm nervous about losing my A/C! Not really.

Yes, it passed! The guy who tested it said..." It's a Honda. They always pass!"

As far as costs, I agree. Shop labor rates start at over 100.00/hr. now and the parts are expensive. I was in so. Calif with a buddy last month. His Mercedes needed a headlight bulb replaced...309.00 at the dealer!

It took a Xexon bulb and the labor rate was 160.00/hr.!
    Except, a person in Phoenix is going to use their A/C a whole lot more than I am in Seattle!
  • wzly99wzly99 Member Posts: 6
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here but CRV's DO NOT have a higher A/C compressor failure rate than other Hondas according to several techs and Service Advisors and our local Honda Rep."

I obviously don't have access to the numbers regarding what percentage of '02-'04 CR-Vs have this type of catastrophic A/C failure (I wish I did!!!), and I doubt Honda would be keen to release those data. But I find it difficult to imagine that owners of Accords, Elements and Civics would be any less prone to complaining/discussing $3000+ A/C system replacements online than CR-V owners. I would also venture to guess that there were more Civics and Accords sold during those years than CR-Vs. In a quick Google search for "A/C compressor problems" for any of those other models I don't see a single hit describing this type of failure, i.e., compressor seizes and sends debris throughout entire A/C system necessitating a complete system replacement. At the very least, there are not multiple threads on multiple different auto-related forums with several hundred (or more) posts over the last five years.

Perhaps, as I think others have hypothesized, it is not a design/manufacturing flaw in the compressor itself, but the way it is designed or installed within the CR-V specifically that makes it prone to failure. Whatever the cause is, I find it extremely hard to believe that "...CRV's DO NOT have a higher A/C compressor failure rate than other Hondas..." Or at least, if the overall failure rate is comparable to other Hondas, the type of failure (and associated expense!) for the CR-V appears to be a clear outlier.

If anyone (including Honda) can provide actual data that suggest otherwise, I'll happily eat my words. And perhaps not try to sell my '04 CR-V as soon as possible.
    CRV has black dots in Consumer reports for their 2002-04 A/C. The Honda shop I use says they see more A/C issues on these than other vehicles. I'm thinking Honda cut back on customer support because it was getting too expensive.

I was just out in the Emerald City and then Portland. Nice area although it gets rather cloudy and wet in winter. I expect you hit the defrost which turns on the A/C more than you realize.
    edited July 2010
    I just know what the guys in the shop told me and they would have no reason to lie about it. If I open the hood on a CRV and then an Element and then an Accord 4 cyl, the layout looks the same.

In "problems" forums there is always a dogpile effect. If several people started complaining about compressor failures in Accords I think you would see a lot of "me too" postings.

So, out of fear, you sell your perfectly good CRV. Then what? What would you buy then and how would you not know that that car would show up in a "problems" forum as being besiged by some horrible malady?

Be very glad you bought a CRV. Few cars, if any, have the great resale value they have. Just think if you had bought a domestic or a Korean car instead that you felt compelled to sell out of fear?

I do wish you well...seriously.
    Yes, we do use the A/C mode a lot in the winter. Today, it's in the mid seventies and beautiful. No A/C. Just the sunroof and fresh air.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    all you do is turn it on or off, so how does driving habits affect this?

Yes, all you do is turn it on or off. But, depending on where you are, you turn it on or off more or less frequently. And even in a given location, some people turn them on and off and on and off a lot more than other people. BTW, I didn't say "driving habits." I said "driver habits." They are not the same. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • wzly99wzly99 Member Posts: 6
    Ideally, I'd like to make major purchasing and sales decisions based on factual data and not fear. I agree that the CRV is a great car, overall, and we've been very happy with it. We bought the Honda because of its reputation for quality and reliability. We did not expect that our odds of having to do a $3555.51 repair after 60,982 miles would be high given that we bought the car new and have taken meticulous care of it. Perhaps those odds actually are NOT high, and we're just unlucky. If so, then so be it. That's life.
    There just seems to be a lot of evidence out there to suggest that this failure was not a rare occurrence. I'd love to be wrong here, because we would like to keep the CRV for another 60,000+ miles. If the odds are that this will happen again in that period, then that's information we need to make a rational decision about keeping or selling the car.
    I suppose it's hard to make a "rational" decision because you have no way of knowing whether your replacement compressor will last another 60,000 miles or another 260,000 miles.

Based on what I know, I would say the odds are in your favor.

Taking "meticulous" care of your car is a good thing but in the case of an A/C compressor that wouldn't matter.

I'm afraid that luck does play a part in all of this.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    pdate 2007 CRV, Honda does not stock the parts to fix the 2007 CRV AC issues, so I cannot fix my car. Buyer Beware of HONDA, no support, no parts, no call backs. I thought auto companies must supply parts by law for 15 years, NOT HONDA, DOT BUY HONDA. I have rported this issue to BBB, Consumer affairs and fox news. Honda 800-999-1009 ex 117742 good luck they could care less until the layers come out to play!

Are you sure the part was not in stock at the dealer, but they could get it for you in a couple of days from the warehouse?

I have an 1983 Honda Magna, and 1988 Honda Prelude, I have never had a problem locating a part from Honda. Most dealers only stock commonly replaced parts, but Honda warehouses are usually within 1-2 days shipping range, and stock all the parts for pretty much all the years.

And, since Hondas are so modular, if a specific part in not available right away, a similar part from a different model, or even make (Acura) is a suitable replacement.
    Perhaps, as I think others have hypothesized, it is not a design/manufacturing flaw in the compressor itself, but the way it is designed or installed within the CR-V specifically that makes it prone to failure. Whatever the cause is, I find it extremely hard to believe that "...CRV's DO NOT have a higher A/C compressor failure rate than other Hondas..." Or at least, if the overall failure rate is comparable to other Hondas, the type of failure (and associated expense!) for the CR-V appears to be a clear outlier.

If it is indeed the same A/C system as installed in the Accord or a Civic, then it is under designed, since CR-V has greater volume of air to circulate than either of those sedans.
  • tuck0539tuck0539 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 V with well over 200K miles & have a few questions about it. It's been a great car since we got it not quite a year ago (family hand me down), but the compressor has started to knock. Are the 1st gens in the lemon compressor category too? It still blows cold air. If it's still in the process of shelling, can I get by with replacing only the compressor? This car books for just over the cost of a full system replacement, so I don't see wasting the money on it. Some of this may have been covered already, but I couldn't bring myself to read so many pages, sorry.
  • compressorx2compressorx2 Member Posts: 3
    You said, "Some will fail at 250,000 miles and on the other end, a few may fail at 65,000 miles." 65, 000 miles! If only I had been that lucky. Try 30, 000 miles twice. What are the chances? But buying a car from Honda or any other manufacturer for that matter, should not be about chance or luch. It should be about trust and good standards of production and workmanship.

Read my post #1480 of 1525 Waiting for Honda to do the right thing by compressorx2 Jul 14, 2010 (8:07 pm)
    You would be VERY wise to get it replaced now before it blows and contaminates the system with metal fragments.
    You really should buy lottery tickets. I think your odds would be better.

Two compressors at 30,000 miles?
  • godzillygodzilly Member Posts: 3
    My 2006 CRV has a funky smell when the fan is first turned on or after A/C has been turned off and fan is still running.

we've had filter changed and deoderant sprayed in but it retruns,

Has anyone had similar problems? Any solutions?

Thanks
    I have a 1998 V with well over 200K miles & have a few questions about it. It's been a great car since we got it not quite a year ago (family hand me down), but the compressor has started to knock. Are the 1st gens in the lemon compressor category too? It still blows cold air. If it's still in the process of shelling, can I get by with replacing only the compressor? This car books for just over the cost of a full system replacement, so I don't see wasting the money on it. Some of this may have been covered already, but I couldn't bring myself to read so many pages, sorry.

Gen 1 CR-V's are not part of this "problem"
    edited July 2010
    Just be sure to have your valves adjusted on that Gen 1 CRV.

Those are very rugged engines that have the old dual overhead cams. If valve adjustments aren't done, they will sometimes burn a valve.

Otherwise, change your timing belt every 100K and keep your oil changed and drive it another 200K.
  • crvdude1crvdude1 Member Posts: 47
    It is the moisture inside the ducts and vents.
    Put the a/c in fresh air mode 5 minutes before you arrive at your destination.
    And make sure you turn the temperature gauge to middle (1/2 hot/cold)
    This will dry up the moisture and won't be stinky next time.
    Yes it will be less "cold" but this is the only way to "dry up" the inside.
    There is another possibly that I hate to think about.

Sometimes rodents will squeeze into the system and die.

It's a miserable job getting them out of there afterwards.

Probably not the case unless the odor is REAL bad!
  • alana50alana50 Member Posts: 12
    A compressor going out on a 12 year old car with over 200K seems to me to be within 'normal limits' for a part to wear out to me.
    The issue here seems to be that many people have autos with relatively low mileage have to replace multiple compressors within a short period of time and
  • cricket29cricket29 Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2010
    Hi. We`re original owners of 2004 Honda CRV LX, purchased June 2004. 43K miles, no problems. A/C worked fine until today. (Live in Phoenix, so 100 degree summers.) It seemed a bit chilly, so I kept lowering the fan dial. It got too warm inside, so I upped it again and felt the air wasn`t coming out as cold as before. Stopped at destination, and, upon leaving, started car with no problem; no strange sounds from A/C. As we drove in the parking lot suddenly heard grinding, like I was dragging something and determined it was the A/C. (Needless to say, drive home was a bit warm.) I turned it off, and of course, wondered what happened and appx. the cost of repair. Can you help? Could it possibly be under warranty? Thank you.
    Update: Found a LOT of complaints about compressors when googled.
  • cricket29cricket29 Member Posts: 3
    Hi. Has there been any movement on this one? We got the A/C grind for the first time on our 2004 CRV today. Not good in over 100 degree heat.
  • belacquabelacqua Member Posts: 15
    I posted earlier this month when my air went out. (2002 EX) Since that time I have taken my CR-V to a local dealer to access the problem. At the time my air went out, there were no funny noises, smells, etc. It just stopped cooling. Still, the result was that the whole system needs replacing.

Earlier I posted the link to the service bulletin (updated April 2010) about this problem--11 pages. It clearly says that there is a "defect." I took the bulletin with me to the dealership. After the prognosis, I requested, since there is a defect in the system, a "goodwill" warranty. I didn't request that the warranty cover the entire amount ($3.000). Everyone at the dealership was very nice to me. It cost me nothing to take my car in to determine the problem. I'm waiting to hear what the zone manager says about my goodwill "warranty" request.

My plan is to get the A/C fixed--somehow--and sell it.
    Don't delay in having it looked at! It could be something simple.
    Sell it and buy what?

No car is immume from an occasional problem and Hondas are far better than most cars.
  • zgreat1zgreat1 Member Posts: 11
    Belacqua, can you re-post the link to the service bulletin, please?. I brought my 2003 CR-V EX (with 77k miles) to a local Honda "specialist" mechanic who inspected the a/c system and came up with "the compressor has locked up" and recommended replacing the entire system, compressor, clutch, coil and desiccant element and back flushing the condenser and lines. I showed the "diagnosis" to a local Honda Dealer's service manager but he said that the only way to determine the "real problem" is for his dealership to perform the diagnosis themselves for a fee of $100. I asked what American Honda would help out, if any, as "goodwill", he said, "anything from nothing to 20%" and "if I am a good customer (meaning 1st owner, has owned multiple Hondas, great service record, then I might be looking at 50%) He estimated $3K to replace the entire system, but he said it could be a little less with warranty pricing. So, please let me know what you managed to receive as goodwill from American Honda.

I showed the diagnosis to another Honda "specialist" shop, they recommended to replace the condenser AND to flush out the ENTIRE a/c system. They also recommended me to bring my CR-V to another dealer's service manager to see what he can do for me.

My plan is the same as yours. Fix the a/c and sell it. Until American Honda owns up to putting defective parts in the a/c system of the CR-V's (I can't say about the other models), I will look elsewhere for a more "reliable" and "dependable" product. :sick:

p.s. I had to replace a bad compressor on my 2001 CR-V at 68K miles. Didn't knew it was a defective part then. Perhaps, it was not. This CR-V has 100+K miles and the a/c is still working (for now!!! knock on wood!). I also own a 2007 Odyssey. And recommended my neighbors to buy Honda! So I am a loyal customer. I expect American Honda to treat customers like me right! That's all!
  • jim442jim442 Member Posts: 6
    My 07 with 48K on it just had the AC compressor fail. My mechanic called and said the compressor is unavailable for 4-6 weeks from Honda, both reman and new ones.
    I called my local Honda service dept., they had the nerve to say that only one CRV has came through this year with a bad AC. I asked them about the reason for the back order on compressors, they replied that it was most likely due to Honda having a glitch in their inventory process.
    OK . It's summer, No compressors equals no problem ? Don't think so. Honda is the master of denial. They also have never recognized the vibration felt at idle ( with the AC on) that has occured since day one on our CRV.
  • belacquabelacqua Member Posts: 15
    Here's the link:

http://www.techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A09-076.PDF

When I tried the link before posting here, I got a "link deny" message. I don't know what that's about. I hope it works for you.

If you own a Honda, you own a Honda. Period. I don't see what difference it makes if you are the first, second, or third owner. Likewise, if you kept the car up with all services, it shouldn't make any difference who serviced it. And it should also make no difference if you have previously owned a Honda. The logic is--if the dealer treats you right, you will purchase your NEXT Honda from them. I don't fit the likely description of those receiving "good-will," but I will let you know.
  • ohiojeffohiojeff Member Posts: 3
    I just got hit by this bad boy. We have a 2004 CR-V with only 51K miles on it and it blew up this morning. Dealer initially quoted us $3200. I then got a call this evening from the service manager at that dealership. I told him I knew about the TSB and was going to call Honda. He said that it would be faster if I just let him talk to the local rep and that he thought that he could probably get the cost down to $2000. I called Honda and opened a call with them anyways. Who should I trust? If this is a TSB, then the dealer knew about it. Will I have better luck with them or going straight to Honda? Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks,
    jeff
  • ohiojeffohiojeff Member Posts: 3
    We just had this same problem today and called Honda Corporate to open a case for it. I would recommend you do the same, and post here what happens.
  • ellenclaraellenclara Member Posts: 5
    Simple? If anyone knows of a simple or inexpensive repair please post...to put it simply I am disappointed in Honda and cannot recommend one to anyone at this point!
  • dianawdianaw Member Posts: 7
    You have to make a formal complaint at the National Highway Traffic Safety Admin. 888 327 4236 they are the people who recall vehicles. Honda has no parts I have a 2007 w/no AC and have been waiting 2 months now for parts. File a complaint.
    The NHTSA has nothing to do with this.

I find it hard to believe that this can be for real. Two months and no compressors in stock??

I'll poke into this and see what I can find out.
  • dianawdianaw Member Posts: 7
    NHTSA are the people who issue recalls...........not Honda, I have poked and poked. Call Honda America they will tell you to call NHTSA, they issue the recalls.