Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V AC Compressor Problems

Comments

• harrypielsharrypiels Member Posts: 7
    Just recently (3/12) received a call from a local Honda dealer to tell me my '03 CRV had a safety recall. I looked up the recalls for my year, and found the last one was in 4/11 ! I've had my CRV in several times for service during that period, so the work should have been done. I was never advised of any recall, which says to me that someone fell down on the job.

I guess the government has no tracking device to determine which cars have had work done, or if they do, they aren't enforcing the law.
  • bow_n_axebow_n_axe Member Posts: 1
    Wow! I just replaced the complete AC system on my daughter's boyfriend's 2004 CR-V and had my mechanic charge the system and all He double hockey sticks broke loose! What is the deal with HoA? This is ridiculous... is there really a course of action or is he out the $450 spent so far?
  • shima1shima1 Member Posts: 19
    Whaaa?
  • sjphillips8sjphillips8 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2012
    Hi all, need some serious advice here. Like many of you, my AC went out and needs (according to Honda dealer) new compressor, dryer, and "evac/recharge"---total cost about $2200 at the dealer. It's a 2004 2wd CR-V with 135,000 miles on it, otherwise in great condition. Is it worth calling Honda customer service for this year/mileage--is there any chance they'll cover a part of the cost? Or should I try a private mechanic? Or trade in for a non 2002-2004 model CRV??? I did not take any action earlier this year in regards to the class action lawsuit, but know I'm over mileage for coverage with that anyway. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
  • nicompnicomp Member Posts: 21
    Here's my humble opinion and I always get flack for it... you have a 9 year-old car with 135K miles on it. Honda never promised anyone that their vehicles would be problem-free for that long. You can ask, but don't get your feelings hurt when they say no.

Yes, it's a poor design and evidently the problem is chronic, but the warranty doesn't extend as long as some owners think it should.

I have a 2000 CR-V with a disintegrated AC compressor. It's been that way for about 60K miles and in the Summer it's hot. I cut off the drive belt when it locked up and I live with it. It stinks and I won't buy another Honda, but whoop, there it is. Life is tough.
    I have a 2000 CR-V with 150K miles. The interior is like new and I'm on my third set of tires. It's FWD, maybe that makes a diff.

The AC compressor disintegrated at about 90K miles, the rear window lifters don't lift anymore, the dash clock quit about 10 years ago, the hood and fenders are rusting a little, and the cat converter separated from the resonator when the bolts dissolved over 13 years of driving in Cincinnati salted winters. The plugs foul regularly because of those stupid tubes and gaskets funnelling oil directly onto them.

And the OBD connector is on the passenger side. Arrgh.

Other than that, it's a pretty good car.
  • lrd5530lrd5530 Member Posts: 10
    I read whatever I could find on the class action suit. It covers 15% up to mile 95000. After that you are out of luck. They never had a recall on this since it is not considered a "safety" issue. As far as what they want to charge, I would suggest going to a private auto repair shop if you have one you trust. Apparently Honda calls this issue the "black death" THere are a couple steps to fixing this and the shop I went to fixed the 1st step, then waited to see if the next step needed repair (it did) but then we were done after $1600. The next 2 steps didn't need to be fixed. They told me when people take their car directly to Honda, they just automatically replace everything whether it needs it or not. I was without my car for a week while they tested each step, but it was worth it so I didn't have to pay $2200.
  • sissytoosissytoo Member Posts: 21
    I have had my AC replaced twice. It is hot here in Tennessee, humid, and I have to wear dress clothes on my job, which is not good in heat/humidity. Both times, I went to private mechanics instead of Honda. The first time, Honda quoted me a final bill of.....insert drumroll......$6000!!!!! They kept coming out with their clipboard, adding this and that, then finally flushing the whole system, and an estimate of $6000. Needless to say, I had my oil change and left.
  • bbloverbblover Member Posts: 1
    I stopped going to the Honda dealer for service. I also got tired of the man with the clipboard trying to pad the bill. Has anyone gotten their checks from the airconditioning civil suit?
    Has anyone received compensation after the 95,000 mile cut off?
  • vtcruzervtcruzer Member Posts: 3
    Hi, class action booklet says no compensation after 8ys/96K. Website https://alinlitigation.com/FrequentlyAskedQuestions.aspx
    says re: payment- "It cannot yet be predicted. The Court will hold a final approval hearing on March 26, 2012 to decide whether to approve the settlement. If the settlement is approved, the payment of benefits to settlement class members who submit valid claims will be made within 45 days from the deadline for filing claims, assuming no appeals have been filed. In the event there are appeals filed, this would delay the process of payment of the claims." I can't even claim because work not "performed at an authorized Honda Dealership." "Performed" is right- what a circus.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    No flack from me! It's almost like people expect their cars to last FOREVER and never cause problems.

135,000 miles?? Nine years?? Hey, that's a lot of miles and a lot of years!

When this first came to light, before I retired, I asked our parts guys to check and see how many CRV compressors we had sold and the number was almost zero and no greater than any other Honda model.

Our 2003 with 62,000 miles is doing just fine but if it broke tomorrow I would consider it just "one of those things" that can happen on a nine year old car.

Yes, I'm in Seattle and temps don't get that high here. I understand this.

" I won't buy another Honda"...I understand your frustration but ALL cars can have problems of one kind or another.
  • jimmcneelyjimmcneely Member Posts: 1
    Short Story:02 CRV

AC goes out
    Mechanic, private, says= total replacement BUT talk to honda
    Look on Emunds
    Lots of people call this a NON recall but event Honda is aware of .
    Some guy posts how to get Honda to pay
    I do what he says
    Honda replaces whole thing free because it is a hidden recalll
    3000K saved-complete replacement
    This was 2-4 years ago so post may be hard to find

Good luck but don't give up or pay the money!!!
    I'd like to see that post.. This fatal flaw is why I sold my 02 at 85K miles before it happened, at a great loss. I really liked the car.
    I don't think 9 years and 135000 miles is a lot for a Honda, unless the company is grossly exaggerating their claims of longevity with their products. I had a 73 Pinto with close to 200000 and was still going strong when i sold it. I have a 2003 CRV and the air conditioning system has been replaced TWICE. Actually, the first time it was replaced, it lasted exactly a month and had to be redone again, so i guess you could say it has really been replaced three times. In less than 4 years. The last time was a have-to absolutely because the whole thing locked up and tore the belt off, leavng me and a small child stranded on the freeway, miles from home. I need air because I have to wear dress clothes to work in a professional job, and can't go to work with my hair a mess and sweating.....it is hot in Tennessee in the summer. While I really love my car, I am getting fed up with this and don't know if i would buy another at this point.
    I would like to see it as well. Have sunk a ton of cash into this, and sit on pins and needles for it to happen yet again, have zero confidence at this point.
  • harrypielsharrypiels Member Posts: 7
    I expect some repairs on an older car, but,wow, my Honda CRV has been a money pit. Those repairs (and parts) are damned expensive. I guess the consumers magazines had me thinking I'd receive great service even after high miles. Instead, I poured thousands into it, always thinking that would be the last big repair. I did the a/c thing, now my heat isn't working and estimates are over a thou to fix it. I'm taking it for a trade.
    I hate to have to be saddled with another car payment but I think if I have yet another major deal with mine, it is going as well. Very unfortunate because I thought I bought a car that would last me a long time and paid accordingly. :(
  • deltabluesdeltablues Member Posts: 1
    Hi, Whilst searching the Web in relation to a problem with my CRV Aircon (2008 model) I stumbled across this forum and have been shocked to read of all the issues with Honda air-conditioning systems. To cut it short, the green light on the dual control starting flashing and I was unable to obtain cool air. Honda diagnosed a control unit failure and advised £1000 plus fitting to put it right. Absolutely gutted that this problem should occur when the vehicle was just over 3 yrs old. Anyone had a similar issue or able to advice whether it would be worth asking an electronics engineer to check it out ? Otherwise I`ll have to start checking the breakers yards as there is no way I could stand a £1000 repair. Any advice welcome.
    It seems a different problem than the one in this thread, mate. For more satisfaction I's start a new thread with your specific problem ie "green light on the dual control starting flashing and I was unable to obtain cool air. Honda diagnosed a control unit failure" or something similar including year /model.

Best of luck
  • cysdcysd Member Posts: 8
    Got quoted for $4800+ from dealer to fix AC on my 2003 with less than100k miles. How ridiculous is that?! Any advice? The dealership said it's NOT a manufacture defect and we should be happy it lasted that long. Argggg
    $4800 is ridiculous. Stay away from the dealerships. There are a few steps to fixing this, and they just fix all of them whether they need it or not. I went to a private shop and they fixed the first step, and tested it to see if the next step needed to be fixed. Honda calls this issue the "Black death" (yes, they have a name for it) I spent about $1600. They are the ones that told me the dealers just fix it all and the cost is closer to $3000. I am in OH, not NY city, but $4800 sounds insane. A few people have commented on here that we should expect issues at $100K, and of course I do, but since this was a known issue with Honda, they should have recalled the cars. They didn't because this is not considered a "safety" issue, but it is still bull.
    I am on my third repair for the AC system. And this has been within the last 3 years. By any stretch, that is ridiculous. it has gotten to the point I hate to even turn it on, expecting it to be shot again this year.
  • tjxtjx Member Posts: 32
    edited June 2012
    I cannot find my 2006 post, but the complete system on my 2002 crv with 60k miles went out in 2006, black death I think they call it back then. My dealer, in 2006, said this was a known problem and that a certain number of customers would be taken care by Honda corp. based on several factors, long time Honda owners, car serviced at your dealer, etc. and at various percent replacement. At that time I did own two honda's and did all my service on both cars at the dealer. I did have to call Honda but my dealer negotiated a 100% replacement for me, others only parts, some nothing. All from the same dealer.

Still driving my 2002 crv with 140k miles, no other ac problems to date. Also own two other later model accords. Same dealer says the time has long passed for any Honda kick-in money other than the current class action suit. Honda Corp. has successfully managed to keep this well known dealer fact out of the main stream news and now that the cars are so old with high mileage it would not cause a public relations nightmare anyway.
  • piniferniapinifernia Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 Honda CRV A/C gaveup on 110K miles. Local mechanic diagnosed as AC compressor is bad as nothing is getting circulated. Found this compressor on eBay for $150 (Including shiping). Brand new, thirdparty and one year gurantee...thinking of paying someone to get it replced. 2K, 3K for replacements is outright scary.. :cry:
  • cysdcysd Member Posts: 8
    Ended up paying local mechanic $900 to fix. Hope this would last!!
  • cjongcjong Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I own a 2007 CR-V and my A/C stopped blowing cold air a few months ago. I took it to the dealer and they replaced a Relay? It appeared to be fixed but only lasted a couple of months. It is not working again. It blows air but HOT air only. All of the lights appear to be working. The dealer seems only interested in changing the Relay.
  • fussycrvownerfussycrvowner Member Posts: 179
    I just got back from the dealer a second time for AC problems. The first time was $850 to replace the condenser with aftermarket. The latest time (6 weeks later) was to replace the compresser. I was quoted $1200 and asked them to call Honda corporate since a known issue. Got the cost down to $960. I am frustrated with the compresser since this is the second replacement with OEM. The first one died at 5 years and 39K miles. The second at 10 years and 96K. I have an '02 and thought the replacements were redesigned to correct the defect? At least the problem was external and didn't trash the system with metal shavings.
  • robielarobiela Member Posts: 3
    Hi, We also had to replace the compressor on our 2002 Honda twice, at only 60000 and 65000 miles respectively. I have the form to fill out for the
    lawsuit but cannot locate the compressor part#. Can you tell me what Part# you used?
    We have the form to submit to Honda, in connection with the lawsuit regarding failing compressors, but cannot find the Compressor Part# that we need to put on form. Does anyone with a 2002 Honda CRV, manual, AWD, have this part#?
    Mine is 2003 - Compressor 38810-PNB-006 and a Drier Desiccant Element -#80101-s7a-305
    Good Luck
  • toytootts607toytootts607 Member Posts: 1
    I need my air compressor replaced on 2004 Civic LX, now with over 240,000 miles. Where did you find compressor on ebay? What was name of company? Trying to find it new and cheap to buy and labor also. Honda wanted $1,500 to replace. Thanks.
  • jennyp3jennyp3 Member Posts: 2
    Same "black death" experienced by so many others. My Honda dealership was so familiar with the defect that they just had to look at the shards of metal all over my engine to know what happened. Estimate of $2,480 for the compressor, clutch/coil, but will be more if the entire system needs to be done, which we all know is a necessity due to debris. 100,00 miles, original owner, always serviced at Honda. I owned a 1985 CR-X Si that went to 180,00 with no a/c problems. It was difficult to even get past the Call Center chick at American Honda (denied), but I managed to get a case number. They should get back to me within 48 hours. If they deny me again, I plan on calling every day demanding to speak with a supervisor, and then their supervisor, etc. This is a design flaw that Honda is well aware of and should take responsibility for.
    Thanks so much for the part #!
  • jennyp3jennyp3 Member Posts: 2
    Honda refused to pay one dime for my a/c repair. Julie also refused to give me her supervisor's name and finally agreed to have him/her call me within 48 hours. However, she assured me that her decision was the final one. You know where the spare tire is? A perfect place to mount a sign: "The a/c blew up in this car due to a design flaw that Honda is aware of. Honda America refuses to pay one penny of the $5,000 repair. I will never buy another Honda, and neither should you".

Who's with me?! I'm in the DC area, so my message should reach a few people.
    With all due respect, when something breaks at 100K miles Honda cannot be reasonably expected to make it better. My AC compressor locked up on my 2000 CR-V at 105K: the dealer wanted 3K in Florida to make everything better. I told them to cut off the belt (charged me $90 for that 'service') and I've been driving it that way ever since, another 60K miles.

Yes, the whole situation stinks, but the warranty was expired and I had not purchased any extended protection. That's my problem, not Honda's.

Yes, their design was awful. Yes, it's unfair. No, I probably won't buy another one.
  • chuckrechuckre Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 CRV (bought new and serviced by the dealer) I am going through this for the third time. Compressor blew in 2006 after 30K and 2 years. Dealer replaced it for free. It happened again in 2010 at 70k. Dealer charged me 1800 but Honda paid half. It happened a third time last week at 100K. Dealer who looked at it thinks the previous repair didn't clean out all the debris and that may be what led to this blow up. Their repair estimate is $4000. I am not spending that much on an 8 year old car for a repair that only seems to last 3 years on average.
    That was what I was told the last time, that the previous repair was not cleaned out correctly. I got an independant to fix mine again last year but was a case of have to when the compressor locked up and tore the belt off. The dealer kept coming out and telling me it needed this and that, and the bill was like up to $6000, no way would I have paid that. It was $1200 at the independent which included a tow bill. Still is a fortune to me.
  • 12scooter3412scooter34 Member Posts: 1
    I just experienced the thrill of my a/c blowing up, too. 2003 CR-V LX with only 52,000 miles. And here I thought it was because I live in FL!

Question: Where can I get the form for the lawsuit? (I tried doing a search but got nowhere.)
    That's what happened to my CR-V as well: the compressor locked up so tightly that the engine wouldn't turn over. Bizarre.

I told the dealer to cut off the belt. 5 years ago. The money we've saved in gas mileage will probably pay for the repair, if I ever decide to fix it.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    edited July 2012
    The form for class action is in this thread about a year or so ago.

If this thread had the ability to poll, I would be tempted to ask a poll of CRV owners who both have had premature failures and those who haven't, if there is some sort of theme regarding how each uses their car. I have learned in the past few years only, that regular use even if only for 10 minutes daily, will help keep the system internals not only lubed, (there is a lubricating oil in the freon) but help the seals keep their resiliency and ability to seal the full quantity of gas in the system thereby prolonging the need for a top-up charge of freon.

The other thing, is, if you find your A/C has lost a good portion of its cooling ability, but does still cool somewhat, you have three choices.
    Remove the fuse that cycles the compressor clutch. This will ensure you don't have compressor jam and put you on the side of the road in heavy traffic. It also may help keep system from having as many metal bits circulating in the entire system if the compressor had started to self-destruct and was the cause of diminished cooling due to freon loss etc. As these bits accumulate (usually at the condenser or later at the expansion valve) it reduces ability for condenser to bring the hot liquified gas having left the compressor, to ambient temps. This would create extra heat and pressure at the compressor which accelerates the compressor's demise. Or will trigger either high and low pressure switches that cuts current to compressor clutch to preserve the compressor. I suspect that the reason some compressors blow up and seize is because of a faulty low pressure switch (the one between the evaporator and the compressor) which allows it to run gas and oil starved. You can prolong the life of your compressor by keeping area in front of condenser clear of bugs etc. Once or twice a year I invest 30 min to carefully debug my compressor with a tiny pick so that it can get as much air as possible in to it. If you opt to do this, the fins are extremely prone to injury and requires a gentle, steady hand, hooking bugs and pulling straight out from between the fins.
    Also, aways ensure the fans come on to pull air through it when A/C is on.
    I do not like the stock position of the license plate as it hinders clean air to the condenser on those states that require a front plate.

Second choice is test to see if a recharge will restore cooling ability, but keep in mind this choice has no guarantee that by doing this you will avoid the results of the first choice.

Sending now due to thunder storm.
  • jeff008jeff008 Member Posts: 1
    Hi - like many, I recently experienced failure of my A/C system. I've read countless posts from customers who had multiple compressor failures at relatively low mileage. The consensus is that debris from the failed compressor contaminates the A/C system, only to again damage the "new" compressor, creating further failure. The definitive remedy (besides better engineering of the compressor on later models) is to replace the entire A/C system. I'm trying to price out the specific components. Does anyone have a list of all of the parts that need to be replaced? When I searched the net, some auto parts companies sell replacement "kits" which may contain anywhere from 5 to 8 components, at a cost between around $500 to $700, depending on what you purchase. I'm planning to taking the parts that I end up buying to a local mechanic (NOT the local Honda dealer...). Also, does anyone know what the labor-hours estimate is for a complete A/C job? I've read many posts, where people have been paying dealers over $3K - $4K for the parts and labor, which seems way, way high. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks. Jeff
    It cost me the price of the parts to have them installed. Say they were about $400, it cost another $400 to get installed. If you call the parts store, they should be able to tell you what has to be replaced. I know it was the compressor and cant remember what the other part was called, and the filters were also replaced.
  • gman06gman06 Member Posts: 11
    gimmestdtranny stated, "I have learned in the past few years only, that regular use even if only for 10 minutes daily, will help keep the system internals not only lubed, (there is a lubricating oil in the freon) but help the seals keep their resiliency and ability to seal the full quantity of gas in the system thereby prolonging the need for a top-up charge of freon."
    All that is accurate gimmestdtranny, but every time the driver operates the defroster in the cooler months, the driver operates the a/c compressor, perhaps unbeknownst to themself. Yes, the compressor runs in the winter months, too. So, with weather that might cause the driver to turn on the a/c or weather that might cause the driver to turn on the defroster, between these two the proper lubrication necessary should be satisfied for compressor longlife and seal elasticity and longlife. Cheers!
  • texasrabbittexasrabbit Member Posts: 6
    You may call this a lecture about, 'Taking the Good with the Bad.'
    My 2003 CRV EX is within 300 miles of having 250,000 miles. I just figured out that the a/c has gone-out four times in the past. Now, it has suddenly started making a weird whinning noice each time I turn it on. (It also makes this noice when I turn on the defroster, because the defroster switch turns on the compressor. (In the past, the a/c has simply stopped.)
    Anyway, if it's another "Black Death," than this will make it a precise 'once per 50,000 mile' event.
    Here's the deal. I've never had a car/truck last nearly so many miles. So overall, I forgive Honda, and I consider it the best car deal I've ever had.
  • scopesscopes Member Posts: 1
    I just went to the lawsuit website, as I am in the process of having my CRV ac replaced. The deadline for claims was yesterday.
  • crvowner2003crvowner2003 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 CRV with 45600 miles. On August 16th my AC died a "Black" death. $3700 in labor and repair. I also looked at the lawsuit and it expired on the same day of the black death. Unfortunately it says that all repairs and receipts needed to be postmarked on August 16th. I sent info to the lawsuit administrator requesting to be included in the reimbursements but told there is no guarantee. I am asking Honda of America to pay but no word from them either. I opened a case with Honda. I dont want to pay the $3700 out of pocket unless I know that some where I can get reimbursed. If anyone has any suggestions for me. please help.
    Thanks, Celeste
  • grumfangrumfan Member Posts: 4
    jennyp3 said:
    > With all due respect, when something breaks at 100K miles Honda
    > cannot be reasonably expected to make it better. My AC compressor
    > locked up on my 2000 CR-V at 105K: the dealer wanted 3K in Florida to
    > make everything better. I told them to cut off the belt (charged me $90
    > for that 'service') and I've been driving it that way ever since, another
    > 60K miles.
    >
    > Yes, the whole situation stinks, but the warranty was expired and I
    > had not purchased any extended protection. That's my problem, not > > > Honda's.

Sorry Jenny. Ordinarily, you would be right. However when a part this expensive fails for so many people, so pervasively, it IS the manufacturers fault. CRV's can go over 250,000 miles, so having a $5000-$6000 component fail at just over 100K like this on so many customer's cars is not acceptable. That is why a class action lawsuit is a good idea. It will succeed. In fact Honda will probably solve the problem before it even gets into court.

Cars today all go over 1000K miles, especially brands like Honda. 100K is no longer the magic "dead car" mark for most cars.
    I have replaced mine 3 times. I think that is certainly a little much. And this was within less than 3 years.