Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V AC Compressor Problems

Comments

• drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    To Blueiedgod and Drive62 who are obviously Honda supported

I wish I was Supported by Honda.

Get your facts before you post offensive and potentially libelous garbage like this.

I have given Honda my money for longer than some people on this board have been alive. It's the only make of vehicle I have purchased for the last two decades.

I understand that an automobile is a complicated piece of machinery and that things go wrong. I also understand that Honda stands by it's vehicles and have been giving people monetary assistance to repair vehicles that are in some cases four years out of warranty. As I have said numerous times check out how other manufacturers handle similar situations.

We put up with the lousy ride and cheap interior because we thought Honda was a reliable vehicle.

You obviously didn't buy a vehicle that you would ever be happy with. That is your problem, not mine. Next time do a little better research prior to making such a big purchase.
  • mobeemobee Member Posts: 13
    If the only vehicle you have owned for 20 years have been Hondas how do you know how others deal with problems? Do you own a CR-V ? If not why are you here if you are not Honda supported? If so, wait until your A/C fails and they make you shell out $2 grand for something caused by their defect.

My vehicle was less than a year out of warranty and this is not a one time item. Thousands of Hondas are having the same EXACT problem but Honda is dealing with everyone differently.

As far as the research goes. I obviously didn't research the Honda's customer service and reliability well enough. Other than that I thought I knew what I was getting into. As I previously said, I accepted the lousy ride and cheap interior BEFORE I bought it because I thought I was dealing with a company who was reliable and would stand by their product.

When you know you have a defect which is going to cause major failures and you force people to jump through hoops,and even then don't cover the problem, you are not providing reliable customer service.

Yes a car is a complex piece of machinery and failures will happen. How you handle them makes all the difference. I put up with the previous equipment failures on this vehicle and called it bad luck. This is major and affects more than just the part that failed!

As far as calling you Honda supported being libelous. I guess if I am right about Honda that is an insult, so if you consider that libelous - I rest my case!
    ...but Honda is dealing with everyone differently

Think about why others have gotten their vehicles repaired at no cost to them. If you showed Honda the same attitude you show here it's no wonder they didn't help you more. Despite what you think Honda doesn't have to do a thing once a vehicle is out of warranty. They are a business, how does the company you work for handle complaints on products that are many years old?

Thousands of Hondas are having the same EXACT problem

Really? Do you have data to support this statement? Or just the posters here (quite a few less than "thousands") an auto forum that people seek out to vent their problems.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'm a bit surprised that this discussion heated up again, but I guess it was unseasonably warm on the East Coast until recently (I'm sick of it being in the teens or single digits here).

However, let's tone it down a bit and figure out the best way to get the issue addressed by Honda instead of ripping in to each other.

Thanks.
  • mic575mic575 Member Posts: 7
    I am in the market for a used CR-V-EX, 02-04 model year. Obviously, some people are pricing 04's close to price of new LX, so I want to avoid that.

That said, what is your thought about this A/C thing?

How hard will it be to find out if the compressor has been replaced on one I'm looking at?

In your opinion, is it just a percentage that are bad and those have probably gone out by now? or is it just a matter of time before they all go?

That said, I understand and can plan for how to deal with replacing one compressor, but would really be disappointed in having to deal with a replacement failure. There has been a few reports of this, any thoughts?

Is it worth going to 04 to avoid it, or will that help?

I appreciate all of your thoughts and I'm sorry for the long note though its probably a relevant sum up discussion on this issue.

Thanks...
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "A $2700 repair on an a/c system after less than 4 years is unacceptable. Their (admittedly) faulty compressor ruined the rest of the system causing further damage. A reasonable company would step up and accept that and cover each customer as necessary."

Another reason that I always buy the extended warranty. Our 2002 Civic recently had a cracked engine mount. I don't know how much it would have cost to cover it, because it was covered under the HondaCare warranty. But I suspect it would have been a big chunk of the $850 or so we spent on the zero deductible, 7 year, 100K warranty.

We plan to keep the car past 100K miles, but this way any major breakages are covered, up to that 100K. After that, one expects parts to gradually have to be replaced.

BTW, one can buy the HondaCare warranty any time before the end of the 3 year, 36K mile factory warranty.
    Mr. Drive 62, in my last comment to you, I would like to make the remark that YOU are the one who throws around accusations without facts. Encouraged by some of the positive reports, I approached Honda respectfully and professionally. I did not become disgusted with their poor service until I got the response I got. You repeatedly talk about Honda supposedly covering vehicles that are 4 or 5 years outof warranty, when this issue is a specific problem with 2002-2004 vehicles, most of which are barely out of warranty.

It is very obvious that you are affiliated with Honda since you respond to EVERY negative comment about Honda and try to discredit them. The numbers are getting bigger every day After our local tv station covers my story (I am currently talking to them) the numbers will get larger.
    To all those experiencing the same frustration with Honda and to others who may have already paid all or part of the repair costs:

I am in preliminary discussions with a class action attorney. If you are interested in joining this case, leave a post here and gather up the specifics of your situation. You will need receipts, copies of e-mails, documentation of phone calls or personal meetings with dealers and/or Honda corporate. Without documentation, you will be limited in your ability to participate in the suit directly, so gather everything you can.
    Big whoop - the attorney gets a bunch of money and you'll maybe get a $500 coupon towards a new car if the class is certified and if you win?

If you have a case you probably are better off suing Honda yourself instead of soliciting for members of a class action while casting baseless aspersions on our other forum members.

Sorry, but jumping on other members opinions, especially when they have been participating here for several years and have built their "forum cred", isn't going to help your case any.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I approached Honda respectfully and professionally.

I propose that you extend the same courtesy to those from whom you are attempting to elicit support.

tidester, host
    Thank you for your educated opinion on class actions. I will wait and see what resolution the attorneys will get for me. As a group we will hold alot more power than individually.

Even if you are right about $500, that's better than getting nothing and just as good as what I was offered. However, I am betting on getting a more amicable solution

I promised I won't say anything more about the naysayers who have not suffered here and I won't. I and many others have suffered unjust treatment due to no action of my own, therefore I have a right to pursue any means I may to get resolution and I intend to.
    Good luck to you - the Toyota sludge case did get good results for those folks. All I ever got for being in a "class" was some dumb coupons. :sick:
    It is very obvious that you are affiliated with Honda since you respond to EVERY negative comment about Honda and try to discredit them.

I already told you to stop making false statements like this. I'll spell it out for you; I am NOT affiliated with Honda. Do you think every person who post about Ford or Hyundai is affiliated with them? Get a grip, your paranoia is showing.

Sorry you're having trouble with a vehicle you bought despite not liking many of it's attributes. Life is too short to be unhappy. IIWM I'd sell the CR-V and buy something else. I hope you do and I'll keep an eye out for your posts about problems with that vehicle and then you'll experience how other auto makers handle problems.

The '02 CR-V had a 3 year/36k mile warranty. The first ones were sold in October 2001, more than five years ago. I personally know of owners who have been out of warranty since '03. The minimum they would be out of warranty is about 2 years. As I said see how other manufacturers deal with out of warranty problems. The local auto writer here had someone ask him about a failed A/C on his Volvo and how they wouldn't cover it even though it was just "barely" out of warranty. The writer said that's how it goes. And his Volvo cost a heck of a lot more than a CR-V.

Oh and I guess you don't have any evidence to support your statement about the "thousands" of CR-V's with this problem otherwise you would have posted it.

Best of luck in your automotive future.
    ...or is it just a matter of time before they all go?

That would be hundreds of thousands of vehicles. I think you'd hear a bit more about it if the problem was that widespread.

You are on a forum where people come to complain about problems. People without problems rarely post.
  • mic575mic575 Member Posts: 7
    That would be hundreds of thousands of vehicles. I think you'd hear a bit more about it if the problem was that widespread.

Good point. Thanks for the response
    I was under the understanding that a forum titled Honda Cr-V compressor issues, was created for the purpose of giving people experiencing this problem a place to meet and find ways to solve their problem.

That is why I am here. I am seeking a solution and in the mean time offering others to help solve their problem.

I stand by what I said and will work with my attorneys to help them. If you do not have anything to add to help those of us with this problem then please refrain from trying to inflame everyone who comes here to find a solution.

I never complained here before (or in any car forum), even when my wife's Honda's brake rotors (37k) failed despite the fact that the pads were still good. This vehicle was less than 10 months out of warranty when the a/c blew up a few weeks ago and only a couple thousand miles out as well. If the compressor had failed and the only job was to replace the compressor, without risking the rest of the system, I would have spent the $1000 and never even looked for this forum. I wouldn't have been happy but that's what I would have done.

I have owned 2 Nissan trucks a Mazda suv and a Saturn car in the last 15 years. I never had such a major failure so quickly which did other damaga to the vehicle. When I did have failures (minor electrical - $400) close to the warranty Nissan covered them without me even questioning them! For that matter, the a/c compressor on the Mazda (110k) failed after nine years and the Nissan truck's failed after 6 years and 75k and both caused no other damage and were repaired for $1,000 or less.
    I think most people know how to get their vehicle repaired but here's how I approach it.

I start with the dealer, the first line in any issue specific to a vehicle (as opposed to wear and tear items). They should be your advocate with corporate, assuming you have a good relationship. If the dealer doesn't satisfy me then I would try a different dealer. The differences between dealers can be startling.

Once I find a good dealer I tend to stick with them for many years. As a last resort I contact corporate. They open a case and then you proceed with getting it resolved. Of course you end up right back at a dealer so hopefully you haven't antagonized them.

That's how I do it, nothing real earthshaking, but maybe it will help someone with any issues that arise.
  • rajeevsardarajeevsarda Member Posts: 4
    I had purchased this Honda CR-V RVI AT on the 30th Jan 2004 in my company M/S Sparrow Electronics Limited from Whitefield Motors Pvt.Ltd .This vehicle has hardly run 20,000Km and been undergoing regular service at Whitefield Motors Pvt.Ltd.

I strongly feel to bring notice of the vehicle failure and seriousness of the matter to Honda as the failure had LIFE RISK at stake.Please note the brief of the incidence as below:

I was returning back from Levelle Road to my residence after a round of golf on the 19th Nov.2006,Sunday and while on the Richmond Road at a speed of around 40km/hr I felt total loss of control on the vehicle and loss of power in the steering wheel and panic set in my self with great difficulty could get the vehicle at left side of the road since I was on a down slope.I could not do anything further as the vehicle came to complete halt and blocked the left part of the road at an 60 degree angle.

Lot of other vehicles coming behind had to engage sudden brake and luckily I did not get banged out.People came out and started charging at me thinking of rash driving without any control on the vehicle and looking at my state of shock and perspiration.But once I could regain my temporary loss of mind I explained the problem they tried to extend help.

I tried to restart the engine which refused to budge so closed all knobs and tried and the engine came alive and I could move the vehicle inside the narrow lane ,composed myself and started moving out and in the meantime switched on the A/C knob and to my shock the vehicle stalled again.Hence ,I could understand the problem is to do with the air-conditioning system which is loading the engine and instead of any safety circuit breaker getting engaged which should cut power to the A/C system the whole engine would get stalled in fraction's of second.

Hope, you can understand the seriousness of this incidence and possible life risk if such a failure happens at very high speed on a highway.Definitely,I skipped heart beats and now when I narrated the incidence to my family they suggest I don't even use this vehicle ever again.In light of this major incidence I suggest a complete "FMEA" analysis be conducted on the vehicle by Honda and a report be submitted to me assuring no such incidence can ever re-occur in this vehicle or for that matter any other vehicle of Honda since I have another Honda City CTV model which my brother uses.

I have been proud owner of HONDA as a BRAND and this incidence has shaken me totally when I recall the experience.The feeling is more scary now in retrospect as anything could have happened.I can only thank GOD for keeping me in one shape.

Kindly,inform this to Honda top management and if required recall all the CRV units to set right such chance of failure because someone else may not have luck to his side on that day.

I TRUST THIS LETTER WILL RECEIVE DUE SERIOUSNESS IT DESERVES AND IMMEDIATE ATTENTION OF THE CONCERNED PEOPLE AT HONDA AS THIS RELATES TO BASIC SAFETY DESIGN FAILURE AND COULD BE A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH OF A HONDA USER.
  • rflans48rflans48 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a honda crv new in 2003. At 47k miles the a/c compressor blew contaminating the whole system according to Honda dealer. I am now waiting for response from Honda America on what they plan to do. Any pointers?
  • rflans48rflans48 Member Posts: 2
    I too have had a a/c compressor blow at 47k miles. Dealer stated that complete system would have to be replaced to the amount of $2800. I'm waiting on Honda Amerioa to respond and hopefully take care of. This could only happen, under normal driving conditions, rarely. This problem is due to poor quality manufacturing. I believe that others claim that the earlier crv's didn't have this problem. Will advise to outcome.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    ... why are you here if you are not Honda supported?

So, if you are here, then you are Honda supported as well?
    To all those experiencing the same frustration with Honda and to others who may have already paid all or part of the repair costs:

So, on top of not knowing how automotive componets are made and function, you are also clueless on how Class Action law suits work and who benefits.

Good luck.

P.S. I just wonder, please no flames, what is your educational background?
    Educational background is irrelevant to this discussion and filling in knowledge gaps is far more constructive than broadbrush statements that they exist.

tidester, host
    Ok, I will volunteer to fill the gaps, despite being accused of being a Honda sponsored troll.

Component manufacturing:

Even though the label on the product says "ABC" most of the parts of such ABC product are made by suppliers, DEF, GHI, KLM, and OPQ. Then ABC puts all those components together to sell under the ABC brand.

Honda, for example, makes the engines, transmissions and most other parts of the drive line. But, let's say alternators are made by Denso, Radios are made by Panasonic, Gauge cluster is made by Visteon (Ford)... and so on. I would not be surprized if the A/C compressor was made by AC Delco or Denso.

As to the reason why it contaminates the system when others may not, is because it is made out of alluminum to lighten the overal weight. Aluminum may produce shavings that contaminate the system, while a compressor made of steel or what not may not produce such shavings.

Class action law suits:

Class action law suits, in design were meant to protect consumers. But with lawyers running amock, they only benefit the laywer who charge astronimical fees compared to what average consumer gets.

Take, for example, the recent class action law suit against Honda/Acura for the alleged 5% speedometer error. The consumers get their warranties extended from 36,000 miles to 37,800 miles (1800 miles) and lesees will get same or refund for 1800 over the miles (1,800 miles x $0.15 = $270) while the laywers are asking for $9,000,000 fee. Who do you think wins here?
    Thanks, blue! :)

tidester, host
    and if Honda stands up to the problem BEFORE it has to go to lawyers there is NO lawyers fee.

And those who were damaged by the odometer error are made whole, even if it is only $270.

If you are the one who lost the $270 you are happy.

In this case I am out over $2,000 and if lawyers have to make $10 million to get me covered, that's not my fault.
    I am fully aware of how vehicle components are put together. I am also aware that HONDA decided to use these components, may even have had them designed for them. The fact is they are in the Honda vehicle.

If Honda loses money because an outside contractor put defective components in their vehicle it is up to them to pursue their supplier (see Ford Explorer and Firestone) - and believe me they will.

If they made their components, I guarantee they regret the design flaw and probably removed the decision makers for this mistake.

Corporate responsibility keeps lawyers at bay.

Trust me if you lost $2700 on this issue you would see my point of view.

I will no longer stoop low enough to even answer your insult to my educational background. But I will repeat my previous statement... If you don't have something to add to help those suffering from this problem, please refrain from commenting. We are already incensed by unfair treatment and a financial loss, we don't need instigators insulting us.
    "Trust me if you lost $2700 on this issue you would see my point of view.
    But I will repeat my previous statement... If you don't have something to add to help those suffering from this problem, please refrain from commenting. We are already incensed by unfair treatment and a financial loss, we don't need instigators insulting us."

No insults intended here, but I would like to address the last point first: by posting in an open forum, you are inviting comments from any reader.

Did Honda (or anyone else) warrant the A/C for more than 36K or three years? I think that is the summary of the legal argument by Honda, and I don't think there are holes in it. One can claim that excessive damage was done by a failing compressor, but compressors are not designed to fail, but to work. Really, we on this forum have been through this with the 2004 engine fire issue, which was made worse by having the catalytic converter close to the oil filter. That was a design choice, but so far as I know Honda did not get a class action suit over this (but did replace a few CR-Vs). For those not aware, the problem was traced to bad gaskets made by a supplier.

In my opinion, Honda corporate has been going the extra mile by partially covering the repairs when the warranty has run out.

If I had this happen to me, I would be frustrated as well, and might never buy another Honda if they did not help with repairs. But I would not attempt legal action. Just my own personal opinion.

Good luck.
    Well said. As I have pointed out many times, see how other manufacturers handle similar problems. Bottom line is they don't. Since when is Honda the poster child for altruism?

Besides, despite what those here want everyone to believe, there is not an epidemic of CR-V A/C failures. Hundreds of thousands of CR-Vs are on the road with their A/C working just fine.
    I may never hear from you again, but I suspect that this is your first and probably last Honda. You had this expectation of a perfect vehicle, which in your view it did not live up to.

Once the warranty had run out, Honda has no LEGAL obligation to cover any of the repairs, unless the government determines that safety may be compromized. Since A/C is a pure comfort item and is not related to safety, Honda does not have to do a thing.

Honda did go out of its way to help LOYAL customers. People who have owned/own multiple Honda products. Why should they go all the way for someone who is on the fence and has yet to prove his/her loyalty? They did not blow you off completley, they helped you based on whatever formula they use to determine how much loaylty you have earned.

I am not supported by Honda, but i do belive in their product.
    Proud former owner of (unless specifically noted):
    1983 Magna V45 (presently own)
    1985 Civic DX hatchback
    1987 Accord LXi
    1988 Prelude Si 4WS (still have)
    1999 Civic EX coupe
    2001 CR-V SE
    2002 Civic Si
    2004 HRT216 lawnmower (presently own)
    2005 CR-V EX (presently own)

When I called Honda corporate with a power window problem in the 2002 Civic Si, I was offered lifetime warranty on the spot, after mentioning that I have been a loyal Honda customer.

Let us see your list.
    I will not waste any more breath with you Bluey or Drive62. Honda has cost me $2700 (not including other early failures)on something that other manufacturers don't have a problem with.

They have treated me unfairly relative to other customers - without explanation.

Had they handled it fairly and succinctly they might have had a LOYAL customer. But instead, for $2700 (their cost < $1500) they have lost ANY future business from me. That's thousands of dollars per car purchase. Based on my track record that is potentially 10 or more cars in the future.

I think that is idiotic.

Not only that, I will make sure everyone I know who considers a Honda will hear this. Even if I convince 1 person, that is thousands of dollars more.

Then, if I win my lawsuit it will cost them MILLIONS - even if I lose it will cost them thousands or tens of thousands more.

This is a sign of ignorant management and a poorly managed company. good luck with your Hondas.

In twenty years I have owned 6 new vehicles and 3 used. I have never been brought to this point. Nobody expects a problem free vehicle. if that were the case I would have complained about this vehicle a LOOOONG time ago. But this problem and its handling by Honda corporate and the dealer goes far beyond normal problems and shows a clear sign that Honda quality control and customer relations are substandard for a premium car company.
    "Then, if I win my lawsuit it will cost them MILLIONS - even if I lose it will cost them thousands or tens of thousands more. "

If you lose, how much will the lawyer cost? The word "lose" might take on a greater meaning. I would advise that you get a lawyer experienced in these kinds of cases, and ask IMMEDIATELY what the chances are that you have a winnable case. My experience with Honda indicates that they are very aware of the laws and regulations, and will not do anything that could be actionable in a court of law. They have very good corporate lawyers.

BTW, Honda is not a premium car company, that would be Acura. Honda builds cars for the masses.

I'm sorry to hear of your problems, and how much they have affected your emotions. Best of luck.
  • whew63whew63 Member Posts: 19
    I can't help but add that I wish you best of luck and I agree with you entirely-If you've read my earlier posts, I have two children nearing driving age and will not even let them consider a Honda, new or used, because of the way Honda has treated others with this problem-a problem which is occurring perhaps not in every CR-V, but in enough that Honda should take some responsibility for the problem when reported. They've lost four future customers in my immediate family alone and I'm spreading the word every day. I realize that thousands of these vehicles were sold and that many have been reported here, but I am sure just as many or more CR-V owners with the same problem have not even bothered to research this as an ongoing issue with this vehicle. It is a manufacturers defect without a doubt and one that has been reported as reoccurring even after the system is repaired-that is why I unloaded mine. Even if you were to win your case, you may not recover all the money that you may have spent, but hopefully Honda will have to come up with a solution that is fair to everyone and not just a few.
    A recall on the system would be ideal.
    I also agree about not wasting your breath here anymore, but would love to hear what the outcome is. The other member who replied to your post is correct in their reply about the lawyer, but to add the "emotion" comment is childish, unnecessary, ignorant and just plain emotional. Again, best of luck!
    Honda has cost me $2700 (not including other early failures)on something that other manufacturers don't have a problem with.

Really? No other vehicles have an A/C compressor go bad? More of your ridiculous hyperbole. Just look at the forums here for examples.

...shows a clear sign that Honda quality control and customer relations are substandard for a premium car company.

How should a premium car company handle a similar problem? I'll tell you how one does. A person who wrote to the local automotive column had their A/C compressor on their Volvo (see it does happen to other manufacturers) go out literally minutes after their warranty expired and they got no help for the repair.

You have unreal expectation about how a business operates and how a complicated machine like an automobile functions. Good luck finding the perfect vehicle.
  • geeneegeenee Member Posts: 15
    It seems to me the problem is not that Honda is not helping fix the problem, but their inconsistency of how they are dealing with it. I don't think it is ok for honda to cover 20 people in full and then tell an other person they won't help them at all, or that they will only cover partial. It has nothing to do with warranty either, I have seen posts that where people are well out of warranty with high mileage and get the repair covered in full, while others only get partial payment. And don't tell me that its because these people were loyal with having service done at the dealer. I took my vechicle to honda for my other repairs, drive belt, brakes, water pump and I still was not covered in full.
    "And don't tell me that its because these people were loyal with having service done at the dealer. "

It's also possible that some people ask better than others. Raising hackles and making demands is not the way to get freebies out of a manufacturer (or anyone).

Also, we do not know if everyone involved had good maintenance records, which is vital when asking for warranty repairs. I will service my Honda only at the dealer until the warranty is done, and after that still keep records.
    I agree with stevedebi, it depends on how person approached them. So far, we have not see any humble approaches from the guy. Accusations, insults, and generally not the behavior you would expect from a mugger. "Give me this and that or else"

The reason I asked him about his education was not to insult him, but to kind of get an idea how he approached Honda. Someone who knows human psychology would know that the best way to get someone to do something for them is not to ask them to do it, but to make them think that they have came up with the idea on their own. When a person is under impression that he/she is doing something that they have "thought of" they will do a much better job of doing it than when you ask them to do it head on.

When I had a power window problem with Civic Si, I called them up, was polite, humble and did not ask head on to give me lifetime warranty, which I knew about from the Si forums. I waited for them to offer it by prodding them with questions and information. I have not once said "I want extended warranty because other people got it"
  • geeneegeenee Member Posts: 15
    I approached Honda with a polite letter, and was polite to the customer service. When I was told that these issues are case my case basis and I was not going to be covered in full, of course there was frustration, but I was not rude or demanding, I just stated the facts. Mind you, I reported this to Honda (politely) months before writing my letter. I did a search on the internet found small amounts of information about there being a problem, yet Honda denied it when I called. Nor did the dealer even mention that it could be partially covered when it was diagnosed. This was maybe a month before this thread. Polite or not Polite....This should be handled properly across the board, not a case by case basis, I am a honda customer just like everyone else. This being my third vehicle. I was even polite (though I was frustrated when I took the day off of work to have the car fixed, drove an hour there and they did not have the parts!) The problem here is INCONSISTANCY and NoOnE feels comfortable about that, when choosing a make for their next vehicle.
    "Polite or not Polite....This should be handled properly across the board, not a case by case basis, I am a honda customer just like everyone else."

I see you may have missed the point behind my previous post. All Honda customers are not like the others. Honda is evaluating the vehicle (not the owner). For example, the documented maintenance done on the vehicle, and possibly other factors of which we are not aware (it is possible that they have a list of the bad compressors, for example).

As I stated before, I will always use the dealer for all maintenance (except tires) while I have an active warranty. My current Honda has a 7 year, 100K warranty. The main reason I use the dealer is to document the service (plus, their oil change price is very competitive).
  • tjxtjx Member Posts: 32
    Have to "politely" disagree with your thoughts on Honda evaluating the car and not the owner. As listed in my post number 255 I did not even know I had this major problem until the dealer called to tell me and he had already contacted Honda for a full no cost repair with a new one year AC warranty on a four year old 66,000 mile CRV. All my service work has been done with this dealer (Hall) in Virginia and I had mentioned on each visit that I was planning to purchase the next generation 2007 CRV when it came out. The only down side was that I had to wait three weeks for all the parts on backorder since so many CRV's were having this problem. Still driving my 2002 CRV and hope to purchase a 2008 CRV. Hopefully Honda will spot any problems in the 2007 and correct for the 2008 model.
    "As listed in my post number 255 I did not even know I had this major problem until the dealer called to tell me and he had already contacted Honda for a full no cost repair with a new one year AC warranty on a four year old 66,000 mile CRV."

Your post confirms my statement - your dealer called Honda and got the courtesy fix. This means they knew your vehicle.

Had you been bringing your car in to the dealer for servicing?
  • sgpsgp Member Posts: 13
    I had taken 2002 CR-V to the dealer for all maintenance except for the oil changes which I had done at Jiffy Lube. They knew my vehicle, but still did not stand up for my when the AC went out at 61,000 miles.

I would have gladly taken my vehicle to the dealer for oil changes too but it is too inconvenient. I can't take time off work everytime my vehicle needs an oil change.

I traded in the 02 CR-V after the AC failure for an 06 CR-V and bought the extended warranty, so I hopefully won't be at Honda's mercy if something like this happens again. I looked at other vehicles before purchasing the new CR-V but I couldn't find anything I liked better in the same price range.

Even though I bought a new Honda I have still lost faith in Honda quality.
  • tnhunterkmctnhunterkmc Member Posts: 2
    Just bought my '03 CRV at the end of October with 54000. It now has 63000. My compressor blew on Sunday while idling at a drive-thru. AC was not on. It appears to be completely shot.

Took my CRV to my local dealer this morning. They confirmed it is a blown AC compressor. Basically a total replacement of clutch, compressor, and I assume the dryer and/or accumulator, hoses, and new serpentine belt. Total bill $1350. The service mgr informed me he would contact the SouthEast Service Rep to discuss the case with her. He said he's seen them cover this sometimes and sometimes not. I'm not sure really what it depends on. He said that since I had not bought it at a Honda dealer and that it was my first Honda they might not do anything. I call BS on that one cause I've read way too much on here and on HondaSUV.com website regarding this issue where people were new Honda customers, bought their vehicle at Toyota dealerships, have no service records, etc. and get 100% coverage. The service mgr told me he might not have an answer for a couple of days, but he'd let me know what she says. From reading on the web it looks like it really depends on the dealership, and possibly the mood the local rep is in when they get the call as to how to proceed with coverage. So do I need to wait and see, or go ahead and call Honda USA and open my own case? Once I hear back - if they deny coverage - what do I do next - get my case # and proceed from there with letters and/or faxes? Looking for advice.

I know this is my FIRST Honda, bought on the advice of MANY close friends and relatives that swear by their reliability and durability. I have always expected to have major systems failures on my GM vehicles, and that is why I went Honda this time. I was looking for a vehicle I could depend on without pumping $1000s of into it each year. And for the 100s of posts I've read on the web regarding this problem it seems to definitely be a widespread issue. It also seems to have been handled many many diffferent ways with hardly any consistency. Hoping for a good outcome.
    Edit/Delete Message
    Polite or not Polite....This should be handled properly across the board, not a case by case basis, I am a honda customer just like everyone else. This being my third vehicle. I was even polite (though I was frustrated when I took the day off of work to have the car fixed, drove an hour there and they did not have the parts!) The problem here is INCONSISTANCY and NoOnE feels comfortable about that, when choosing a make for their next vehicle.

I hate to break it to you, but every 2nd grader knows that Life is not Fair. I guess, some people learn that later in life than others.
  • tnhunterkmctnhunterkmc Member Posts: 2
    Still haven't heard back from local dealer, and like he said it might take 2 or 3 days to hear something back. I have however opened my own case with Honda USA directly. So I guess I'll be in the queue there as well. Still hoping for some assistance. One thing is for sure is I hope it doesn't take too long because it is failed and seized to the point that my vehicle is totally disabled. I'm without transportation and hitching rides to work with coworkers until I get it repaired.
  • tdaletdale Member Posts: 2
    Add me to the list, bought a new CR-V (Has a J Vin) on Jan 2003, the A/C went dead at 13000 miles, since it was in warranty, the dealership replaced it. Couple of weeks back started to get a spooky squeak, which turned into a rattling with the A/C dying out today. Went to the local shop - they indicated that the compressor probably had given way. Found this post, called the dealership - who asked me to check with American Honda, as I didn't have an extended warranty. Will call Honda on Monday (as they are closed on the weekend). Any tips... thanks - Tim
  • tdaletdale Member Posts: 2
    Spoke with American Honda - had the most pleasant customer experience - they had the dealer replace the compressor. My loyalty stays with Honda. A big thanks to all of you how sent me a mail. :D
  • ryantsxandcrvryantsxandcrv Member Posts: 1
    I noticed a little bit of rattling noise with the A/C on in my 2003 CR-V EX w/ 52k. It was at Hall Honda in Virginia Beach for an unrelated minor repair, and the tech listened to it and suspects the compressor. It's going back in two days for a $95 diagnosis. I made an initial call to American Honda, they said continue with the diagnosis. Hopefully, they'll cover it; so far this thread has been encouraging.

I've been a pretty loyal Honda/Acura fan, and have convinced others of their merits, effectively "selling" an additional two TSX's and two CR-V's. I wonder if American Honda considers Acura loyalty just as good?
  • don1999crvdon1999crv Member Posts: 2
    This could be very bad news. When the AC compressor goes bad it is very possible that the whole AC system is contaminated with metal particles, in which case you will have to have the whole AC system replaced. If not it will blow up a new compressor.The dealer should have known this.
  • motojoemotojoe Member Posts: 1
    Grainger Honda in Savannah Georgia quoted a price of $3350.00 to replace all the components of the AC system following a compressor failure. I bought the car from this dealership and paid for the Honda name, which I thought, included some reliability. Very disappointed. After the 98 bucks to check it out I have taken the car home and I will live with the AC inop, until I get all the parts and tools to fix it myself. 3350 can buy a lot of nice parts and tools.