Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V AC Compressor Problems

Comments

• blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Yet, if you review the postings on the CR-V a/c issue, there are others, whose cars were not under warranty, who had Honda charge them nothing or reimburse them in total for the a/c failure. Why should I be hit with labor charges and others receive repair for no charge at all?

The amount of reimbursement depends on the degree of loyalty to Honda. A first time owner who is saying that this is their first and last Honda will get a lot less, if any, help from Honda, than someone who has owned a dozen of Honda products. Because they have exibited their loyalty to Honda brand, and will probably continue to be loayl Honda customers.
  • mobeemobee Member Posts: 13
    SELL YOUR HONDA!!! and don't go back! Honda screwed us when our a/c went (barely out of warranty) despite my best efforts and best professional attitude. W eogt offered $500 towards a $3500 repair - I refused. I passed it on to some lawyers who have been slowly working towards getting a class action together.

I for one will never buy another Honda (even my Honda Outboard is a lemon!) Honda has demonstrated a complete lack of customer care and their inequitable response to different customers is a disgrace.

Good luck selling your Honda though - it seems word is out because when we put purs up for sale the offers were well below Kelly Blue Book, despite the fact that ours was clean, well kept and had ALL the service records. More than one person asked about the A/C and we had to prove it had been repaired.
  • dtstofdtstof Member Posts: 61
    Were the older CRV AC units as bad as the new ones(ineffective)?
  • geeneegeenee Member Posts: 15
    I do have to say that it is only confirms to me that there is a problem with this part as I still see so many posts that continue to spring up in my mail box. What I don't understand right now is the difference in quotes to fix the same problem. I believe my original estimate was around 1800. Estimates going beyond $2000 - I really don't get. Most all people need the same repair compressor and hoses etc etc etc. Why are the estimates ranging from 1200 - 3500? I would think they should be in and around the same ballpark, with only slight differences. I do understand regional price differences, but could they really be this much?

I did have my compressor repaired by Honda, it was frustrating process to say the least, but I will continue to remain loyal to Honda.

I do however believe it is time for Honda Corporate to step in here, for their own best interest. They need to make some decisions regarding this problem and what will be done for people across the board, rather than letting dealers or representatives pick and choose who gets help and who doesn't. This method right now is just not working and causing a great deal of frustration amoung Honda owners who do dicuss issues on forums such as this one.

For those of you continuing to have a problem having this taken care of ... recommend that you deal directly with Honda Corporate. Continue to write letters and call, and don't give up. Good luck
  • aloha808aloha808 Member Posts: 1
    I am so thankful that I just happened upon this site when researching the problem/symptoms my CRV was having. No AC - all of a sudden. No biggie - it's winter here right now. But in a couple of days a horrible noise and ticking sound. My dealer couldn't get me in so I drove it home - and by the time I got home it was smelling of a burning smell, and I had no power steering. I had it towed to the dealership the next day, and they kept it over the weekend. Well on Monday they called me with the good news - my estimate was $3,900.00 !!! Yes my car has 80,000 miles on it. But thank God I was surfing the net and found all of these stores of the same problem! We I advised my service director at the dealership that there were hundreds of posts on the internet with CRV's with the same problem. I asked her to call Honda to see if they would pick up some of this repair. She said very quickly "sure" she'd call them, which told me that this wasn't the first time she's seen this. Within 30 minutes she called me back and said Honda would pay for the parts and I had to pay for the labor. So I picked up my CRV today with only paying $1,100. I don't believe I said "only" but I guess it's better than $3,900 ! I guess it's cheaper for Honda to pay as we all complain, instead of doing a product recall for all the CRV's that are on the street!

I have had my entire A/C system replaced, every nut, bolt, tube, etc. If I have problems in the future I'll deal w/ it at that time, or should I say Honda will deal with it at that time. I am glad, however, that they made good with this. And it didn't even have anything to do with how many Honda's I had owned. It has tought me to research issues and not just take the dealer's word at face value though.
  • kisseypookisseypoo Member Posts: 29
    The saga continues...and finally ends!

In my post #669, our local dealer finally agreed to have "Honda" pay for the parts for the installation of our 3rd a/c compressor.

We had been awaiting a reimbursement check from Honda Customer Care (Corporate) for the 2nd repair on our rear differential. Something fell through a crack between the dealer and corporate (whom we'd had to calll to get any monetary satisfaction). We rec'd a message to fax Corporate Customer Care our proof of payment. I took that opportunity to include a lengthy "I Love My CRV" letter with the fax explaining our having to replace our second a/c compressor after only 23K miles and ONCE AGAIN having to pay for the labor ($534). I pointed out that this was our first Honda, but enumerated the members of our family who were Honda customers. I also mentioned the number of complaints about the a/c I had read on the Internet. I requested compensation from Customer Care and rec'd a call back on my answering machine that we'd be getting the check for the rear differential repair and that the a/c would be considered. By the end of the message, we were told the amount of the check to expect and it included the labor for the installation of the third compressor! The check arrived yesterday.

So, with some tenacity and letterwriting, we got Honda to stand behind their product. It took time and patience, but we got satisfaction. Just wish we'd been smart enough to request reimbursement for the replacement of the original a/c compressor labor.

I do believe that Honda Customer Care does "care." You just have to let them know your problem as well as what you like about your Honda. I'm not thrilled with my local dealer as a result of my a/c and rear differentail experiences, but I have the choice of doing business with other Honda dealers within a reasonable distance.

Good luck to all of you who have rear differential (see my post under that topic) or a/c compressor problems. Call Customer Care if you don't get satisfaction locally. With both the rear differential and the second a/c repair, we eventually didn't have to pay a cent. A phone call to Honda Customer Care is worth the time and effort.

Now I'm a "Happy Honda Honcho"!
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    Glad you got the problem resolved to your satisfaction. Also am sure many of your previous statements about never owning another Honda and advising others to get rid of theirs were knee jerk reactions.

Hopefully you realize any vehicle can have problems. How the manufacturer deals with it is what is important.

I recall reading a letter in the local auto column about a Volvo owner whose AC went out a month after the warranty expired. He received no assistance.
  • chicagoishchicagoish Member Posts: 7
    I've read a lot of back posts and it seems that the Compressor problems is with the "J" vin numbers, but I have seen a few with SHS Vins. Can anybody tell me if the problem is limited to the "J" vins. I found this tread "AFTER" I bought the CR-V. I did get a certified, so I'm covered for 12K and 12 Months.

Chris
  • vkgarryvkgarry Member Posts: 7
    I have an 04 CR-V. This is my third Honda (two Civics previously). Overall, we're pretty happy with the vehicle...except that we're on our fourth A/C compressor. The first failed months after purchasing the truck in March 2005. We were on a long weekend in Southern California in the summer with an infant. No way we were driving back to Southern Nevada w/o A/C.

I called Rock Honda in Fontana, CA, and they said bring it in first thing in the AM. They replaced the whole system, under warranty, while I waited. The second one failed about 13 months later, and Honda West in Las Vegas, NV, replaced it again under the original warranty. That one failed last summer, and they replaced it again under the extended warranty. This was the only time I paid anything for it and I paid under $200.

While it is certainly inconvenient to have the A/C fail in the desert, my Honda dealer has been exemplary in taking care of my problem. My only concern now is that my service rep has left the dealer, so I'll have to renew my relationship with a new rep. I'm confident it will work out.

Now, about the three cracked steel wheels in the last 60K miles...

Garry in Vegas
  • rd744rd744 Member Posts: 1
    I would be interested in seeing how many 2003 CR-V's that have 90K+miles also have the ac compressor issue. Our 2nd ac compressor "seized" according to the Honda service tech on our 2003 CR-V EX AWD (SHS VIN). We knew it blew since we saw smoke come out from under the hood. This occurred at 122,000 miles. The first one occurred at 108,000. Honda warrants parts for 12k miles or 12 months whichever comes first. Honda corporate said they could not help us because the initial ac compressor was installed by an independent repair facility. It was disappointing but we realized it is what it is...

Rather than spend another $3k, we have traded the CR-V. An analysis of our repair costs show that after these vehicles hit 90K miles, repairs increase - we replaced the catalytic converter (92K miles) and the RE Vibration stabilizer (97K miles). There definitely seems to be a problem with the oxygen sensor as well - we replaced it at 121K miles (at a Honda dealership) but still see the engine light on. The service tech said that there is a second O2 related to the cat converter and its replacement will help... All in all we have spent $5K+ since we hit the 90K miles fourteen months back.

If anyone needed my $.02, I would say consider trading your vehicle (especially if it is a CR-V and you rack up miles at 25K+ a year in Florida) once you hit 90K miles...
  • newcar4ericnewcar4eric Member Posts: 3
    My A/C on my 2002 CR-V went out last fall with maybe 60,000 miles on it and being short on money I didn't have the money to just get it inspected. Well, this weekend I had a nice Free A/C check coupon and took it in to the Honda dealer thinking I could get a confirmation that the air compressor needed replacement. I had previously had a mechanic at a car repair shop look at it free of charge and he had said the compressor needed replacement and it would cost $900. Well, the Honda service rep comes to me and says,"This coupon just covers checking of external checks. The technician says that we need to flush and recharge the freon to see if it's working. That will be $160" $160 just to find out what's wrong? I proceeded to inform him that I had taken the cr-v to a car shop in which they showed me that the clutch and compressor was not kicking on when you turn on the a/c. So why do I need to pay $160 for you to do unnecessary labor if the compressor is not even coming on?

Long story short, what did you all have to pay to just get that confirmation of a compressor failure? Am I just being too paranoid of getting ripped off?
  • chrismattachrismatta Member Posts: 19
    I went through this in the summer. I have an '04 CRV, 43k miles at the time, outside of the warranty. I was anxiety-ridden when I read on the internet about how much it cost to fix. I found this site, and it saved me. If I had to outline the path to success, it would be:
    1) Call Honda America Corporate and get a case #. State your case simply and diplomatically. Your tone can make or break the deal.
    2) Write a letter, stating the situation, but start off with how much you value being a Honda customer. If you have bought Hondas before, tell them so. Tell them how you are grooming your kids to be Honda customers. If you get your car serviced at a Honda dealership, say so. (By the way, your "history" with Honda - former purchases, service record, etc will factor into their decision). But after you butter them up, tell them how disappointed you are that this would happen to a Honda vehicle, but that you are confident that they will maintain their reputation by helping you with this. Diplomatically point out that you have reviewed Edmunds.com, and that you were suprised to see so many posts of people with similar problems, so you are "assuming that this a defect in the manufacturing". State again how you hope to continue to be a Hoda customer....
    3) Send the letter to the VP of Services at your dealership (can be found on their web-site), and another copy to your case manager at Corporate, who will have been appointed to you by this time.
    4) Hope for the best. The results I have read on this problem have been varied: full payment, partial payment, no payment at all. But if you follow those steps, I think your chances will be increased.
    FYI, Honda paid mine in full..
    Good luck.
  • razormonsterrazormonster Member Posts: 1
    I work for a Honda Dealer, and the only way to repair it right the first time is to replace the entire system, compressor assy, condensor, Receiver drier, evaporator, expansion valve, all hoses and hard lines. Otherwise it will just keep breaking.
  • dtstofdtstof Member Posts: 61
    Why would all those parts have to be replaced for a mechanical breakdown of the compressor? What sort of contamination would take place in the other parts that couldn't be flushed out?
  • gatsby2gatsby2 Member Posts: 2
    My 1997 CRV has 167,000 miles on it and a few months ago the a/c went out on it. Smoke was rising from under my hood after I pulled over, and after it cooled off I pulled out a belt that had shredded under the car. A Honda parts dept. told me it would be about $550.00 for the compressor plus labor. When I went to that dealership's service desk, they told me it would cost $3,000-$4,000 for the repair, as the metal fragments most likely got through the whole thing and ruined it.
    I received another estimate from a repair shop who said it would cost around $1,100.-$1,700.00. I am the original owner of the car and I don't want a new one--it still looks great and runs great; except the a/c problem now. Any advice? My VIN # does start with J. Do you think anything could be done from Honda corporate? Thank you! ">
    Wow, 11 years!!! If this is the only problem with the vehicle, just pay someone to fix it. I think the problem described here is more pertinent to the 2nd generation of the CR-V's. You have the original Gen 1 vehicle.

But, it does not burt to call Honda and see what they can do for the original owner. Although, they would probably would like to see more money out you more often than once every 11 years. lol
  • gatsby2gatsby2 Member Posts: 2
    Yeah, I have had really good luck with it over the years. Actually, I decided to take it into a repair company in Denver today, and am awaiting their final verdict. It should be a lot less than the Honda dealership though. Thanks!
  • newcar4ericnewcar4eric Member Posts: 3
    Are you positive the expansion valve needs to be changed? I talked to my contact who's handling the repair for me and he said everything BUT the expansion valve needs to be replaced. He says everything else gets contaminated. Thanks in advance
  • dangelo211dangelo211 Member Posts: 1
    I have replaced my compressor almost 5 times within the last 3 years. I was going to the Honda dealership to replace the unit. After the 2 nd time I told them I was using Honda because they should know if they were putting a valid part in my car. I was very angry because I was paying them top dollar. I went to a mechanic and I am still having problems. After the compressor broke again I started asking questions. First of all my mechanic told me they were putting in a brand new Sanden and gave me the model number. So I called Sanden and asked for the proper model number that they use. The model number that Sanden gave me was not the same model number my mechanic gave me. I am pissed off and did some more research. Sanden told me that they had a plant in other countries and that is why it did not have the same model number. I did some research online and found out that Compressors from Sanden could come from China. I am very angry and the next time my mechanic needs to change the compressor I will tell him that I will get the part from Sanden directly. I am expecting that this compressor will cease also, Plus it is not lowering the temperture in my car enough to have me feel comfortable. After this experience I plan on checking every part to make sure it does not come from China.
    If you're posting because your a/c compressor or rear differential have failed (maybe even repeatedly like ours), perhaps reading my posts #669 and 679 can save you going through a zillion posts to determine how to get resolution.

Good luck!
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    Well, at least you didn't have to talk to the Chinese rep - that would have raised the blood pressure...
    Many years ago we used to call everything made in Japan "junk". Now look what's happening...
  • wreeniewreenie Member Posts: 1
    I agree w/you re: A/C not working is a safety issue., especially if you happen to be Asthmatic...living in FL w/out A/C is a health safety related issue which I will mention to American Honda when I call them tomorrow. I got home from the E.R. a few hours ago due to an asthma attack because my A/C is not working. It's just too hot here in FL to be driving around w/out A/C. We'll see what happens...
  • foxtrot0073foxtrot0073 Member Posts: 2
    I have had problems with my A/C every year for as long as I have owned the vehicle. It is an 03 CRV. The last time was two years ago that the compressor went and Honda will not cover anything on it now because it is over warranty. Not happy with HOnda at all.
    Check my post #679. We got satisfaction from Honda Customer Care, not the local Honda dealer. The number is listed in your CRV manual. But read my post for the approach to getting satisfactory resolution. It may be difficult to get results for something that happened two years ago unless you're having another problem now. We asked for compensation for something that had happened previously while we were trying to resolve the current problem and we were successful. Your approach when dealing with Honda Customer Care is important. They want to you remain with Honda and be a loyal, satisfied customer.
    I agree w/you re: A/C not working is a safety issue., especially if you happen to be Asthmatic...living in FL w/out A/C is a health safety related issue which I will mention to American Honda when I call them tomorrow. I got home from the E.R. a few hours ago due to an asthma attack because my A/C is not working. It's just too hot here in FL to be driving around w/out A/C. We'll see what happens...

I have asthma, and I would never ever in my life think of living in FL. Why would you do that to your self? This is a big country, I am sure you can find whatever is keeping you in FL elsewhere.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    This is a big country, I am sure you can find whatever is keeping you in FL elsewhere.

I think it is a bit presumptuous to suggest that is an option for everyone.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    So, I got a call from my father in law last Friday. It seems that their HVAC started putting out black smoke and sounding like a wrecked pinball machine. The left it at the dealer for service, and guess what? The compressor failed. He has around 66K miles.

It is a late mode 2001 (purchased Sept 2001), so I think it was one of the "bad" batch.

He has the 7 year / 100K warranty, so it is covered.
  • foxtrot0073foxtrot0073 Member Posts: 2
    I received a call from Honda Canada, they will cover $450 and the dealer will cover $450 of the repairs of a $3000 job. Not impressed. This was never fixed properly the 1st or 2nd time round. Anybody else out there in Canada had this problem? :lemon:
  • misskitty27misskitty27 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking into buying a used CR-V. The reviews on them are awesome except this A/C problem. I can't afford a new one or even a newer used model. I am probably looking at 2002 or older models. I test drove a 2000 tonight however the timing belt needs to be replaced. I checked into it and it would cost $600.00 at the dealer. This is a private party sale. I don't really want to get into this.

My question is, if I buy a used one from a dealer and pay for an extra warranty is this A/C issue going to be covered if it occurs?
  • jcanaverajcanavera Member Posts: 11
    Well I have a 2002 and the A/C compressor on it blew. Cost $1,600 to replace. Honda paid half and I paid the other. The car at the time had 88,000 miles on it and was out of warranty. I had bought it used from a Honda dealer. I think Honda would have picked up a bigger portion of the repair if I had contacted Honda earlier. The dealer said there was no assistance from Honda available so I paid for the entire repair. After contacting Honda personally, I found that they would give my case consideration, with the payment of half the cost in a check to me. If you get them involved before the repair, they will pick up more costs since their labor rate with a dealer is lower than to me.

Factor or negotiate the timing belt into your sale. Keep in mind that most service facilities replacing the water pump with the belt since the pump is readily accessible at belt replacement time. I wouldn't avoid the car just because this work has to be done.

Jack
    I test drove a 2000 tonight however the timing belt needs to be replaced. I checked into it and it would cost $600.00 at the dealer. This is a private party sale. I don't really want to get into this.

Timing belt replacement is part of regular maintenance. If you avoid buying vehicle solely because they need to be maintained, I have some news for you. They all require oil changes, filter changes, fluid replacements, and a miriad of other items checked or replaced on the regular basis.

The A/C problem is only affecting Gen 2 CR-V (2002-2004) and possibly some Gen 2.5 (2005 - 2006).

Gen 1 (1997-1998) and Gen 1.5 (1999-2001) are not affected by the A/C problem.
  • wlttxwlttx Member Posts: 3
    By the way, my 2001 HAS been affected by the air conditioning problem (and I've been talking back and forth with them for almost 2 years now--still nothing. I couldn't afford to fix it then, couldn't even afford the mandatory "take it to the dealer to verify" charge, and still can't afford to fix it now). It's still a safety issue (de-fogging windows,...) and a potential health issue (Texas=hot)
  • phisherphisher Member Posts: 175
    If you know the timeing belt needs to be changed and it costs $600 try and get the seller to pay for this or at least use this in negations. You should at least be able to get them to eat 1/2 of the cost. Unless a car has a timeing chain the belt will have to be replaced at some point, and if you don't and it breaks it could be alot more than $600.
    "The A/C problem is only affecting Gen 2 CR-V (2002-2004) and possibly some Gen 2.5 (2005 - 2006).

Gen 1 (1997-1998) and Gen 1.5 (1999-2001) are not affected by the A/C problem."

My father-in-law's Gen 1 blew the compressor last month.
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    I still remember the letter to the local auto writers column a year or two ago. A Volvo owner's AC compressor had blown about a month after his warranty was up. Volvo said "sorry" and he had to pay.

Like any mechanical part an AC compressor can go bad. Honda has been more than benevelont (replacing it for an owner who bought the vehicle used!!).

My father-in-law's Gen 1 blew the compressor last month.

And it was at least seven year's old. When does the statute run out in your mind?
    "And it was at least seven year's old. When does the statute run out in your mind?"

Nope, it wasn't 7 years old, it was still under the 7/100K extended warranty - so no cost to my father-in-law to repair.

A blanket statement had been made that the problem does not apply to Gen 1. My post was point out that compressor failure DOES happen to Gen 1.

While a part can go bad, what happened caused metal parts to go all over the A/C system. Sound familiar?
  • ldp2ldp2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Honda CRV that I purchased from an individual. It had 35K miles when I purchased it two years ago. With no prior warning or strange sounds, a loud "pop" was heard while driving it. My daughter, who was driving, thought a tire had blown out. She pulled over to check, and noticed the a/c was now blowing warm air. I took to a local repair facility that specializes in Hondas. The repairman said he had seen this type of problem before and the compressor had literally exploded. He pulled a large piece of metal out from under the hood. He quoted a minimum of $1300 to replace the entire a/c system, as metal shavings had been sucked into the hoses. I searched the internet for similar problems with the CRV and found this site. I called Honda Customer Service and was given a "case number" and told to take it to the local dealer for a diagnosis. I did, and the diagnosis was correct. Honda replaced the entire a/c system and paid 80% of the repairs. My portion was $457. I asked Honda how the percentage of payment was determined, and they said it was based on the year of the vehicle and mileage. This a/c system is warrantied for 12 months. I am so glad I found this site. I could have been out of pocket way more than $457.
  • life_is2life_is2 Member Posts: 5
    I JUST PRUCHASED A '04 CRV FROM MY MOTHER THAT HAS EVERY RECEIPT FOR EVERYTHING DONE ON THIS VEHICLE. IN OTHER WORDS VERY WELL TAKEN CARE OF. TONIGHT I AM DRIVING TO DINER AND BAM. COMPRESSOR RATTLING LIKE CRAZY. I HAVE 79,000 MILES ON THIS VEHICLE. I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW MANY REPORTS OF THIS ARE ON THE INTERNET. I WILL TAKE TO DEALERSHIP TOMMORROW AFTER CALLING HONDA OF AMERICA. THIS IS COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE
  • bengalscotbengalscot Member Posts: 1
    I experienced the compressor failure (02 Crv with 101,000 miles) in July 07. I took it to First Team Honda, Chesapeake, VA, as well as contacting Honda Customer Service regarding Goodwill warranty replacement. Honda ending up paying for all parts and I paid for labor ($440). Just a couple of days ago, compressor blew again, this time blowing metal shards throughout system, basically requiring a total rebuild of AC system (about $2k). Honda is going to cover all under the 12 month/12,000 mile parts warranty, with no hassle. The service manager at First Team is awesome!!
  • robjdrobjd Member Posts: 2
    I hope this finds you all well, in good spirit and having a good day.

I too have recently experienced the catastrophic compressor failure that seems to have plagued numerous other CR-V owners. My wife has a 2003 CR-V with 72K miles and a few days ago it suddenly stopped blowing cold air and begin blowing warm air instead. I called Honda America first and started a case number and then took it to a dealership to have it diagnosed. As with many others, the compressor had seized before shattering and destroying the entire A/C system. I have been quoted a replacement cost of $3600 which, with the special breaks from Honda America, will be discounted down to approximately $2500. I have also been made an offer for them to pick up 75% of the tab so that I would pay only $671 to have the air conditioner back in working order.

While this may seem generous on the surface, it in fact is an attempt by Honda to get their customers to pay for their design flaw while at the same time denying the FACT that it is a design flaw. A system where one component (in this case the compressor) destroys the entire system is a flawed design. The fact that this type of failure is almost unheard of--except for the CR-V--is further proof that the design is flawed. My point is simple; this is not an issue of normal "wear and tear" where the manufacturer and consumer share the liability based on age and mileage; this is clearly a design error. There is NOTHING that the consumer could do, through proper maintenance, etc. to avoid the problem and for many it has been a recurring problem.

I have spoken to someone at Honda America already since the 75% offer was made and tried to kindly share with them that the problem was really 100% their fault so they should really feel 100% responsible for the repair. Why would they wish to punish their customers for trusting in their products? Not only does that not make sense, it is unjust and unfair.

If anyone has been successful in being fully and fairly compensated for their CR-V compressor failure please let me know. Unless people are willing to fight for what is just and fair, others will suffer. Hopefully Honda will come to this understanding soon and do the right thing. Time will tell.

Peace be upon you all,
    Rob
  • jpcanaverajpcanavera Member Posts: 33
    Rob, while technically you are correct, under most cases the help many of us are getting is clearly after the warranty on the vehicles expires. Unless someone is going after this on a class action mode, Honda could easily turn their collective backs to us.

What I do find strange though is the variance of costs to fix the problem. My compressor blew at 88,000 miles on my '02 CRV. The thing sounded like someone threw marbles in it. Bottom line the local dealership charged $1,600 to make the repairs. My problem is I did this before going to Honda America, who settled with me by paying parts with me picking up labor. It was a 50/50 split of the bill. If I had contacted them first I would have probably gotten a better deal since they could have gotten a better labor rate from the dealer in advance.

What I don't understand though is the wide variance in repair costs. My failure sounds about the same as most, where the internal components of the compressor fly apart. Why should there be such large variances in dealer repair costs. I understand labor changes per location but heck why should your dealer repair cost 100% more than mine (keeping in mind that I paid for the repairs before contacting Honda America)???

If I had any beefs with Honda, the repair cost should be consistant at each dealership, allowing some adjustment due to labor rate contracts.

Jack
  • chrismattachrismatta Member Posts: 19
    I dont understand the variance either, except that I believe each dealership is its own entity to some degree and can negotiate independently on how much they pick up.
    My 'or CRV compressor blew well past the warranty, and thanks to this forum I first called Honda Corporate, composed a 'nice, firm letter from a loyal Honda customer', faxed a copy to corporate, and a copy to the Service Manager at my Dealership, and THEN brought the car in. I think this sequence helped.
    In the end, Honda paid the whole thing, 100%. I was pleasantly shocked.
    Rob, You may want to check out my experiences and final resolution with Honda re A/C on my CRV. Read msgs. #668, 670 and 679 which I posted previously relating my saga...not only with A/C but with rear differential also.

Hope this helps.

Kissey Poo
  • robjdrobjd Member Posts: 2
    Thank-you for your reply KP, and I will check out your posts.

Regarding the rear differential, I was quoted $250 to change the hydraulic fluid out which I did myself in about 20 minutes for $20.

I would like to share with everyone on this forum that after several days of discussing this issue with Honda America, I was finally offered an agreement that they would cover all but $100 of the cost of replacing the entire system. This agreement came with a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty, which I hope will not be needed. Hopefully the new compressor is an upgrade to the previous one that seized and exploded.

While it would have been better if the offer would have been their initial offer, I am pleased that they are willing to stand behind their product and treat me as a valued customer. There are very few companies left that will do either anymore.

Peace be upon you,
    Rob
    Glad you had some success w/Honda re: a/c compressor. Yes, Honda Corporate does stand behind it's product...the dealer is another story in most cases.

You may want to check out Rear Differential Problems on this forum. We have had two similar problems on our '02 CRV (4WD) within 3000 miles! See post #98 under Rear Differential Problems. There have been two service bulletins issued by Honda regarding this problem. The second one was later in 2007. If you should have a repeat problem and don't want to take the time or spend the money to correct the problem yourself (or if you just want to see what Honda service does to correct the problem), go to the link mentioned in Post #98. Hope you've solved both your problems for good.
  • lemondriver2lemondriver2 Member Posts: 1
    I am totally in agreement with Robjd. I had the compressor go out on my 2004 CRV in June of 07 at which time it was replaced under an extended warranty. Now today they are telling me that it has gone out again but only due to the condensor cooling fan assembly. On the surface that seems like a good answer but the symptoms are EXACTLY like what happened before. I can see it a mile away that they are going to charge me for the fan. The condensor is going to go out in another month or so and then they are going to tell me I am out of warranty on the 12K/12month replacement part warranty. In addition the transmission has failed 2 times over the same period. It is sad that Honda is asking me to foot the bill on something that they clearly did not perform enough R&D on. I WILL NEVER buy another Honda again and if I can influence others to stay away I will.

I have opened a case with honda and will see where that lands me. If I dont get the satisfaction I am looking for, which is 100% coverage of the work they did just 1year ago. I would definitely be open to any action that can be brought against this :lemon builder.
    Lemondriver: You may want to check out my previous posts on this forum: #668, 670 and 679. We had the second compressor quit after less than a year and got parts compensation from the dealer and labor compensation from Honda Corporate. Also got compensation for second Rear Differential repair 3 months after the previous one! Perhaps reading about our experience will be helpful.

Good luck! And please, post your results.

KP
  • sandswarnersandswarner Member Posts: 2
    We just had the compressor failure two weeks ago. Upon looking for the cost of a compressor online, we found this forum, and were armed with how to go about getting the problem solved. My CRV is an '02 with 107,000 miles. I created a case with Honda Customer care, then called the local dealer. They couldn't get my car in for 10 days, and when I took it in, I made them aware that I know of the compressor problems. I will pick up the car today, but the district svc mgr could only give me a 10% break, citing the number of miles on the car. Total for parts and labor is almost $1100 after the 10%. I then relayed this to Customer Care, who will now work with the dealership to sort out and see what they can do. I bought my first honda from this same dealer in 1981, and currently own 2 hondas.

We'll see what happens, they are supposed to get back to me by tomorrow.
  • lynnerklynnerk Member Posts: 2
    My AC went out in my 2004 (113000 miles) 2 weeks ago. I had the Honda Care extended warranty, but that expired a few months ago. I was in DC at the time with 102 degree heat..and had to drive back to Indiana without. I had a mechanic look at the car while I was in DC but had no repair, just wanted to make sure the car was safe to drive.

Anyway, I wanted to research cost and came upon this forum..thank goodness..It would have never occurred to me to contact Honda. Which I did immediately and then took it from there.

I did mention what I was finding on the Internet. No one is disputing the issues with AC, however, no one is admitting to them either.

So far, everyone has been extremely polite, and I received a call from Honda America today to tell me that they are still working on "Goodwill" assistance. Now, luckily, my compressor did not "implode", their word, not mine. However, while they know the clutchh/coil assembley is bad, they have no idea if the compressor is working until the assembly gets fixed, so I think they are trying to determine how to handle the 2 different scenerios. Sadly, I'm wanting 100%..which I doubt I get..but we'll see. I've owned Hondas since I started buying cars in 1985, all new, and all serviced well. My last 3 Hondas have been with the same dealer.

I'm hoping for the best ! :)
  • bedilbedil Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2003 Cr-v with 43,000 miles on it. Last week the air conditioner just quit working. Since 1987 I have owned nothing but Hondas and Acuras. I have sworn by every one until my CR-V. I have not been 100% satisfied with my CR-V. I am on the 4th set of tires since I purchased the car as well as my air conditioner going out. The fabric on the driver side back door has been hanging for months now. This happened on the passenger side within the first year I had the car. That was fixed under warranty.About a year ago I was driving and I heard a popping sound. I thought I had a blowout so I pulled over. Everything looked fine so I figured that I may have run over something. I told my husband about it and he just gave me the look. Well later that week it did the same thing while he was driving it. We immediately took it to the Honda dealership but they could not duplicate the problem. I was afraid to drive the car for a while but I eventually got over it. The finish on the steering wheel has worn off as well. I emailed the service manager at my dealership regarding the air conditioner. He replied asking me to call his cellphone at my earliest convenience. After reading the postings I'm not sure whether to contact Honda America or return his call. Our household consists of a 2002 Acura RSX, a 2002 Civic and a 1996 Accord. We maintain the vehicles and they all are fantastic. My car is the newest and I drive the least. Where do I go from here?