Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu vs. Toyota Camry vs. Honda Accord

Comments

• venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    Motor Trend is an embarrassment. Don't know how well the Malibu will do in next month's issue of Consumer Reports but they hinted that it will do very well. I have a hunch their order of these four sedans will be inverted from Motor Trend's list. Just my opinion but I fell the Malibu, Accord and Altima are in a upper echelon from the Camry.
  • bikeman3bikeman3 Member Posts: 85
    Malibu needs a new name, also looks better on tv than in person gas mileage and resale value like Hundai won't cut today. Accords are noisy, but thes are are capable vehicles Toyota seems to lead in durability, reliability. I had a 97 Mailibu just ok no problems lousy trade in valu at Toyota and Honda lots.
  • mypathy2001mypathy2001 Member Posts: 18
    Unlike the V6 version of this test, I think this comparison of the Chevy Malibu/Honda Accord/Toyota Camry is right on. As a '07 Camry SE owner, purchased last April ... I think edmunds is right at least about the LE trim of the vehicle.

As "Erin" said earlier, "The LE is the quintessential Camry, the one most people buy..." I completely agree. I personally didn't care for the basic styling of the LE trim, and it was the little things that SE added (such as alloy wheels - what a concept, and sharp IMHO body kit) that made me pull for it. The fact that alloy wheels are not standard on the Camry LE's still baffle me. $20,000 for a vehicle and no alloy wheels, give me a break Toyota.

I'm actually surprised the little 2.4L - 158-hp was proved so quick in Edmund's tests, compared to the more potent engines in the Malibu and Accord -- I didn't think it would even compete.

Good review, although I'm certainly not the typical Camry buyer at 23 when I purchased, if the SE trim model didn't exist I wouldn't even have considered it.

Now, almost a year later - the playing field has changed dramatically and the Accord and Malibu look to be excellent cars. I can't argue about the Malibu's interior -- definately better than my Camrys and Accord -- too bad the value of the car will drop like a rock. But the interior of the Malibu does certainly deserve some praise.
  • mypathy2001mypathy2001 Member Posts: 18
    While others might complain that the SE was missing from these comparisons, I'm not going to argue the point. It's just not worth it at all. I personally think that the LE option was the best choice for this particular comparison between the Malibu and Accord, as it is Toyota's best selling option.

After reading that in Edmunds' 2008 V6 Comparison test that was published about three weeks ago and seeing the car put in last place (which I felt it didn't deserve and needed to test drive the SE version instead of the XLE version) ... I picked up Motor Trend's February 2008 issue to find a comparison test between the Malibu/Accord/Camry/Altima.

To my surprise, especially considering just a few months ago (Oct. 2007 issue) the magazine praised the Accord as the better vehicle over the Camry. However, the Camry won the comparison between the three other cars, with the Malibu, Accord, and Altima coming in at 2,3, and 4 - respectively.

The Camry is not perfect, nor is the Altima, Accord, or Malibu. But it's good to see better competition from the U.S. Like I said in the earlier post, the Malibu's interior looks excellent. Unfortunately, as Edmunds doesn't point out the models that start out around $20,000 or (19,9xx) is rather plain looking with plastic wheel covers, and a pretty generic looking interior.

One thing this review and especially the comparison of V6 family sedans made me realize is that the best thing to do is take them with a grain of salt. Test drive all the cars, and make a decision for yourself. With all four (or three in this case) -- I think either one is a fine choice. Each one has an advantage/disadvantage -- and look through Consumer Reports for any trouble reports and messageboards and you should be fine.

Certain things that have been brought up in this message board is a major consideration for many new buyers is resale value - which the Chevrolet would drop pretty bad, with Honda leading the pack and Toyota coming in second. The entire talk of "if GM keeps making cars like the Malibu, then the resale value will come up..." while true, is non-sense.... people don't purchase a vehicle and take into consideration what the resale value "might" be, if the manufacturer makes better vehicles.

Take the Hyundai brand for instance, I personally think they make terrific looking vehicles and with their warranty and great bargain for those on a budget, especially when you look at what they used to make. However, resale value is still pretty poor, despite great reviews for the Sonata and other vehicles (Santa Fe, Veracruz) -- it still loses a lot of money once it comes to sell it.

Still, all in all -- aside from Consumer Reports which tends to be a no nonsense "here are the facts" review --- take other review with a grain of salt and test drive all the cars in the segment until you find one you're really comfortable with.
  • niceguy1234niceguy1234 Member Posts: 37
    http://www.oregonlive.com/newsflash/index.ssf?/base/business-79/1199951959144760- .xml&storylist=business

As Toyota globel sale is almost pass GM, world's biggest auto manf., it looks like the transmission problem does not borther the Camry buyers. Maybe is a isolated problem on small portion of the Camry line; otherwise, nobody will buy the Camry. Don't know why Moter Trend put Camry in Not recommend section while Lexus ES350 which use the same transmission is still in recommend section.
  • dave8697dave8697 Member Posts: 1,498
    resale value? A major concern for buyers of accords and camry's because they know the cars are so boring they need to get rid of them soon after buying.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Listening to my Accord rev to redline sure isn't boring; it's a lot sweeter than the Ecotec 4!
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    resale value? A major concern for buyers of accords and camry's because they know the cars are so boring they need to get rid of them soon after buying.

I'm willing to bet you can't find any facts to back that statement up. My last Accord was with me for 12 years, and my current will probably be with me at least that long.
    so then resale value must be of tiny significance to you yet so many mention it constantly.
    Since he sold his 12 year old Accord for several thousand (was it $5k?) dollars, resale value is worth a lot to elroy.
    That's right, I got $5k for my 12 year old (140k miles) 92 Accord (in better condition than some 2 year old cars). I would like to see you try that with a 12 year old Malibu, no matter how well it had been taken care of. Resale value can mean a lot, even past 10 years.
    I have done better with a camaro. 15 yrs old and got 30% of orig purchase new price. Many cars can be kept nice and get very good resale. Even a 6 cyl MT Camaro.

Why is is so critical to berate the resale value of the Malibu on day 1 of it's existence? Doesn't it have actual hardware flaws that can be degraded instead? Who can show any data one way or the other about resale value?

Is there an argument floating around out there that a better car can be worse due to poor resale value? I think so.
    I have done better with a camaro. 15 yrs old and got 30% of orig purchase new price. Many cars can be kept nice and get very good resale. Even a 6 cyl MT Camaro.

A Camaro and a Malibu are totally different. Depending on the model of Camaro the older cars are many time worth more than a newer model (comparing apples to oranges).

This is the post I was replying to, when I said you don't have to "get rid of them soon". By the way, what makes a Malibu less boring than an Accord? My father has a Malibu, and it is the epitome of boring.
    I don't know but can you tell me why the Accord owners are so concerned with resale value of other car makes if they plan on keeping their Honda cars long term anyway?

If I look to the right on my screen, the Malibu sits at 9.3 and the Accord sits at 9.0. 9.3 must be the new epitome of boring.
    I am not at all concerned with the resale value of a Malibu ( I don't plan to own one). Looking to the right, is not something I put much faith in, considering many of the owners have owned the cars less than a month. Not much to go on, if you ask me. Anyone (even a hater) can write a review for any car. There are some authentic reviews in there, but there are just as many useless reviews and people on a mission to lower a car's score. If you choose to take a chance on the new Malibu, that's fine. I feel confident that I will get what I paid for with the Accord.
  • niceguy1234niceguy1234 Member Posts: 37
    When people buy a car, they will conside resale value as one of the critirias. The other things they may consider could be price, handling, look, build & finishing, brand and so on. You will not just like the look and buy it without test drive it, right? So, the resale value is an important factor you will consider before you laid down the money, does not matter if you keep the car for couple of years or 10+ years.
  • simpilot1simpilot1 Member Posts: 21
    I'd like to point out that in some states personal property tax or annual tag fees are based on the NADA retail value of the vehicle. A high resale value may cost you more in taxes and fees than you will recoup from the higher resale value, particularly if you keep the car a long time. I live in Missouri which is one of those states.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    >Who can show any data one way or the other about resale value? Is there an argument floating around out there that a better car can be worse due to poor resale value?

A few people feel they can look into the future on resale value. If so, I need some help with my 401K and stock portfolio so that I only hold high return items. :P

Looking into the future based on past value doesn't work for Enron workers who held huge amounts of company stock, e.g. Toyota owners of certain cars with transmission behavior problems and sludging have cars that are down in value. So they bought a car with high resale value but CR downgraded Camry; ooops, sorry about your car value.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• fd2fd2 Member Posts: 1
    If I look to the right on my screen, the Malibu sits at 9.3 and the Accord sits at 9.0. 9.3 must be the new epitome of boring.

Hmm...The Malibu has 21 reviews to the Accord's 118 (as of 12:30pm EST, 1/16/08).

I'd be more interested if the Malibu had 118 reviews to the Accord's 118 or the Accord's 21 to the Malibu's 21. Otherwise, you're not exactly comparing Apples-to-Apples, given the fact that the mean average review could either go up or down the more the Malibu and Accord (and Camry, for that matter), are reviewed.
    A few people feel they can look into the future on resale value. If so, I need some help with my 401K and stock portfolio so that I only hold high return items.

I can't look into the future, but I can predict future resale value. I predict the Accord will retain a higher percentage of it's MSRP than the Malibu will. You don't have to agree.

Looking into the future based on past value doesn't work for Enron workers who held huge amounts of company stock, e.g. Toyota owners of certain cars with transmission behavior problems and sludging have cars that are down in value. So they bought a car with high resale value but CR downgraded Camry; ooops, sorry about your car value.

Honda, and Toyota for that matter, are not Enron. I doubt the Camry resale value will take a big hit by this. Why not? Because normal people (who don't spend time on internet forums talking about cars) don't even know about these problems, and will still pay a good price for a used Camry. The Accord has had some problems in the past, but Honda will usually make it right, and keep the customers happy. The percentage of Accords that go to fleet sales is historically low, and I don't see that changing. I would not count on low fleet sales for the Malibu. Fleet sales affect resale values also.
    apples to apples? if the 21 is the same % of malibu sales as the 118 is of accord sales, then apples to apples is what we already have. What was accord's rating with 21 reviews in? probably about 9.0, so why expect malibu's to change so much? 6 pieces of data can sometimes start to give a hint of what's to come. Yesterday they reported Romney the winner with 9% of precints reporting in.
    Apples to oranges will be when someone says the new malibu will have the reliability or resale value of the previous model, that it shares NOTHING with except the 100,000 warranty.
  • bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    For the record, the rating of the Accord has gone down from the mid-9's as it has received more and more reviews. I think there are lots of reasons for this that relate to the type of buyer that purchases a car when it is very first released and who posts a review soon after getting the new car (like I did). I think you will see the Malibu's rating decrease slightly over the next several months---- I'd bet you on it! ;)
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Best advice is to buy any car later in the model run. There seem to be fewer defects,major problems are solved, and I think they just plain screw them together better.
    Probably safe advice, but I bought my 98 Accord just after it was released as a new model with not a single problem. Now, after 4 months and almost 6000 miles on my new 08 Accord, I have only one, very minor problem . . . the gear shift knob squeaks in such a way to make me believe it might be something that will be tweaked later in the manufacturing process. At least in my experience, Honda makes cars that are relatively full-proof right out of the chute! :)
    I bought an 03 Accord (first year of 7th gen) and I have had less problems than some owners of 07 Accords (last year of 7th gen), so I don't see it as a good reason to wait years to buy a car. If you want an 08 Accord, buy one, because a 2012 Accord owner could have more problems than you do.
    Statistics prove otherwise, but you are a great example of an outlier. You did have the stereo problem that affect early gen-VII models though, didn't ya?
    Statistics prove otherwise, but you are a great example of an outlier. You did have the stereo problem that affect early gen-VII models though, didn't ya?

Yes, but how many years would you have to wait, for that problem not to exist? Weren't the same displays used in later years? You had at least as many problems with your 06, didn't ya? I hardly think one problem (covered under extended warranty at 50k miles) is a reason to wait 3 or 4 years to buy a car.
    Those faulty displays were linked to 2003 and early 2004 models. I happened to look at CR yesterday - the 2003 had well-below average reliability in the "Audio System" component for 2003 models, and average for 2004 models.

I can honestly say that I've never heard of the LCD problem in a 2005-2007 model, while I've heard numerous reports from 2003 and 2004 owners on this board.
    Grad, if you had been looking for a car in 03, instead of 06, would being a first model year have changed your decision to buy an Accord? Would you have waited one year or two?
    My dad DID have a problem-riddled 03.

LCD display, NUMEROUS (not exaggerating) rattles, headliner that had to be taken out and put back in, etc. After that, I'd wait until at least year two if I didn't "NEED" to buy a car at the moment. Deals are typically better anyway.
    Those parts that rattled are the same parts (headliner etc.) used in 06-07 models, aren't they? They were probably more a matter of assembly mistakes, than anything that was corrected or changed in later years. I have seen numerous posts about rattles in 06-07 models on this forum. The car being an 03 model probably had nothing to do with that. The point I'm trying to make is, buying an 07 model does not automatically mean you will have less problems than someone who bought an 03 model.
    Actually, the headliner design, IIRC, is actually different. The stereo issue is unique to 03-04s.

I'm not really arguing the fact that you can get relatively perfect 1st year runs and problematic 4th year runs, but statistically, it works the other way around. Your car having a stereo failure just helps prove my point.

Toyota's V6 Camry and 5.7L Tundra are other examples, as are the Civic with the "lug-bug" that was in several 06s but has since disappeared for 07 and 08, Odyssey vans with the vibration/resonance/droning issue were prevalent in 2005, but I rarely read about newer versions with them (my aunt's 2005 has that problem, had recalled airbag sensors, a misaligned rear bumper, and a windshield whistle at 50 MPH). This new-for-2005 model was built in 2004 - in other words, before any bugs were worked out.

Again, this isn't the case for every built vehicle in a model line, but mathematically, earlier models are typically the ones with the bugs. It's just statstically proven - viewing CR's reports will show that.
  • simpilot1simpilot1 Member Posts: 21
    The V6 comparison is about to become temporarily moot because the word is that Chevrolet has suspended production of the V6 Malibu. The Cadillac CTS and Buick Enclave (as well as the Malibu) are all setting sales records and all have the 3.6L V6. GM was unprepared for their success and can't produce enough 3.6L V6 engines to meet the demand. So all of the V6s they have are going into 35K+ Caddys and Buicks instead of 25K Chevys. I have heard it will be at least 3 months before there are any more V6 Malibus built.

http://www.gm.com/corporate/investor_information/sales_prod/">link title
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    Good article in today's WSJ, they like the Malibu:
    WSJ Comparison
    First, I admit I am the owner of an 08 Accord. So . . . .

I don't believe the WSJ article is good, helpful or informative. It is among the most subject pieces I've ever seen on the subject. The writer certainly is not a member of a forum like this one and is oblivious to the treatment you get when you start espousing opinion as fact. A large portion of the article is nothing but subjective junk on issues about which there absolutely is no right answer. For example, does the crease on the side panels of the Accord look like the result of a crash with a guard rail? Acura doesn't think so, nor do the makers of the 3 or 5 series BMW.. . . .nor does Honda or the 400,000+ people who will buy the 08 Accord in the next year. Just because you write for the WSJ doesn't mean you don't have your head up your [non-permissible content removed]. I wish the author were a member of this forum -- it would be fun to write a scathingly sarcastic response to the dribble he penned. . . . he made himself a very easy target!
    The review showed an obvious bias against the Accord, and I figured that should be evident to anyone who read it. 99% of the review is purely subjective opinions, and make you wonder if you can believe anything the reviewer writes. :confuse:
    Because the article doesn't fall over itself praising the redesigned Accord, because it picks out some of the deficiencies of the Accord, and because it gives some credibility to the Malibu, the Accord folks think it's bunk. That bias mentioned sounds a little like the many reports from the car mags and CR who have loved anything Hondic through the decades. Sour grapes.

This trend is exactly what I said years back about GM's offerings and where they improved things, it would always be that they don't have this one feature that the XXXmobile has that the writer likes (and that's okay) but what's not okay is that the car is just junk because it doesn't have this or doesn't have that or doesn't do 0-90 in 6 seconds--as if 99.9% of people drove their car like that.

Come on. Malibu is giving them some competition again. The writer is doing what ever other car writer does: he's giving his perception of and his opinion of the Malibu and Accord.

Welcome to the club.

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    Because the article doesn't fall over itself praising the redesigned Accord, because it picks out some of the deficiencies of the Accord, and because it gives some credibility to the Malibu, the Accord folks think it's bunk.

That's one reason I thought it was a 'good' article, sure to get a reaction. Sure, some may disagree with opinions, it interesting to hear them blamed on 'bias'.
    Although the 07 Honda I sat in last visit to a dealer didn't impress me as other than minima and I haven't been in a 2008 Accord, I would probably be happy with either car. The Malibu I sat in was a high model... But what is funny is that when the bias was against GM/Ford, it was okay to have it because, well, the cars were just better. Well,..., the Malibu just got better.

I have be careful about saying I'd never own a certain brand. Long ago I swore I'd never own another (big three brand) and I ended up winning one in a contest.

• drwilscdrwilsc Member Posts: 140
    Best advice is to buy any car later in the model run.

The problem with that is when the cars are re-designed, your car suddenly feels 'old', as our 2003 Odyssey did when they were re-designed in 2005. When you buy a car earlier in the cycle, it looks and feels fresh longer.
    That's not always true. I have a 2006 Accord, and am glad I didn't wait on the 2008 Accord. It is much less desirable to me - cheaper interior, lower real-world economy, heavier without offering more torque.

My car felt fresh to me since it had a modestly restyled front-end, a completely restyled rear-end with cool LED taillamps (I know, not a biggie, but a unique touch that few other vehicles utilize). The best part is all of the bugs that came with 2003 models (problematic LCD on the stereo system, rattle problems) are less prevailent on later models, including my rattle-free 2006 model.

Not all first-year models will have problems, and not all late-run models will be flawless, however.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Yes, me too, I love my 06 Accord, I think it feels a bit younger the the 08 Accord. It is quite classy as well. The new Accord looks a bit older, but looks great too. I saw a white one the other day, and from behind it resembles a bmw. It was pretty sharp.
    I have thought about other brands like VW, or Acura, but I gotta say I love my Honda. The engine is a piece of art, I pushed my 4cyl and it really lights up, and its sooo smooth doing it, without even going that high in RPM's. I will be sticking with the 4cyl accord. As my mileage will be up on my lease, I'll have to trade, and more than likely it'll be an 08 Accord. But, with other fun cars out there, it does make me want to look at others. Many say, that once you go honda, you typically stay with honda. I thought about camry, but missed the honda drive. Malibu has a long way to go for me. $26k for a malibu? Wow?

BUT, at the same time, I love my car, I almost don't want to get rid of it, But I miss my sunroof. I love it.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    "$26k for a malibu? Wow?"

Wherein lies a perception issue...people associating "Malibu" with something they should be able to buy for $15k max, because it's a lowly, cheap American bargain ride. But it isn't.

Model to model, the equipment, options, etc. are very much like your typical Accord LX-->EX spread, including engines.

Yet, again, the Honda addicts and Toyota loyalists, often without ever stepping outside those dealerships, automatically assume anything else is subpar. But it isn't.

None of the cars in the class are perfect, Malibu included. But it's just being completely aloof to imagine one new model is so below what you think your expectations are to right it off.

GM obviously, and admittedly, did not have an impressive package at all in the past, especially the '97-03 models, and then had the right guts but didn't style or refine them properly from '04-07. Now they've hit the mark, almost entirely, and many people are returning to the light...but others just can't do it yet.

When my mother recently wanted a sedan--and the Malibu was #1--she came to me, and I never would have told her to go with that choice unless I had every confidence in it. I even thought momentarily maybe have her try an Accord, etc., but she wanted great style, quality, refinement, and features galore and the Malibu fit that to a T.

Point is...yet again, how much more will people continue to, time and time again, automatically write off something like GM based on past ideas. If anything, they're now up so high, and with so many great cars, and it's companies like Honda and Toyota slipping more and more lately...Honda with great styling issues and dumbing down of quality and bloating designs, and Toyota the kings of blandness and really with some quality and poor driving characteristics. Loyalists will always remain (not only to Honda and Toyota, but also GM, etc.), but so many people miss out on so many fantastic vehicles...simply "because" of old thoughts.
  • drwilscdrwilsc Member Posts: 140
    Two things about the Malibu, and keep in mind that my other car besides the Odyssey is a 2007 Saturn Aura XR, and very close cousin to the Malibu.

First, while you and I know the 08 model is tons better than the mediocre 97-07 models, I'm not sure the general public really knows that. GM is going to have to heavily and carefully advertise these cars.

Second, These cars need to be reliable, or their credibility will falter. CR has the Aura XE as above average but the Aura XR as below average. GM better iron out the gremlins quickly before they get the reputation of being unreliable. While the Camcords' reliability has waxed and waned some, overall they have been reliable for many years, and the public perceives them as being reliable.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    The March 2008 edition of Car and Driver magazine has a 7-way 600 mile comparision road test of four cylinder versions of family sedans.

The Accord topped the Altima, Malibu, Sonata, Camry, Fusion and Avenger in that order.
    Two things about the Malibu, and keep in mind that my other car besides the Odyssey is a 2007 Saturn Aura XR, and very close cousin to the Malibu.

First, while you and I know the 08 model is tons better than the mediocre 97-07 models, I'm not sure the general public really knows that. GM is going to have to heavily and carefully advertise these cars.

Second, These cars need to be reliable, or their credibility will falter. CR has the Aura XE as above average but the Aura XR as below average. GM better iron out the gremlins quickly before they get the reputation of being unreliable. While the Camcords' reliability has waxed and waned some, overall they have been reliable for many years, and the public perceives them as being reliable.

All very true, and I heartily agree.

Perception is still the biggest hill to climb, and only product after product after product that is impressive on all accounts will tackle it.

Which brings up another point. In reality, even in the not so distant days of GM being characterized by mish-mash designs, cheaper than cheap interiors, etc., the real-world reliability of most products was as good if not better than the "vaunted" class standards. Yet, because of those former points and constant reviews that failed to ever bring the point up, it was never heard or believed.

And as said, for Honda and Toyota, it's almost the exact opposite. For so many years, the products have been largely spot on in the important regards, and more important to some, the ratings they received in reviews. NOW, at this point, for instance, Toyota can pump out Camry's with overtly low grade interiors and even--as now so many reviews have pointed out--large panels misaligned, obnoxious noises, etc. AND drive qualities that are just depressing. But in reality, it still doesn't totally matter...a Camry is a Camry, and based on the past, that's always a guaranteed strong choice to many. Same thing with the Accord.

With cars like the Malibu, even though the reliability was largely always there, missing the points on finishing, looks, etc. put extra nails in the coffin, and now it's still very hard--even if there were 1000 glowing professional reviews alone--for many to believe that and sign their checks to it.

And then we also have the juggernaut of rags such as Consumer Reports, which many crowds base every purchase in their lives on...but that, in reality, aren't fully reality. But regardless, that reality is different for everyone...in every regard.

Simply? Things, for example with GM, have to be spot on and perfect repeatedly and for long-term, and as such for a while, before tides can fully change. I get that, as aggravating as it is.
    To put this back on more topic...

Is there anyone new (or old) around here still in the process of actively comparing and shopping the Malibu, Camry, and Accord? Unsure, developing strong opinions, etc. on any?
  • tired_old_davetired_old_dave Member Posts: 710
    Who was it that said their ('04-'06?) v6 malibu or maxx gets better mileage than the new ones. Never buy first or last year domestic is an old saying. Don't buy a silverado classic and in '04 don't buy a classic mailbu. But, can anyone buy the classic malibu or is it just for fleets. Just recently here at edmunds I took a look, $20k invoice for a nice '08 LT classic seems awful tempting even if our '04 has not been flawless and don't care for the options, interior colors, and other things as seen on line for the new design.
  • deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    I'm ready to wrap up my search. Quite some time ago, I sold my '05 Accord EXL V6 and had been waiting for the '08 Accords to arrive. My basic requirements were pretty simple - Be able to handle our worn out, rough roads here in the frozen north, get reasonable mileage, safe and because my plan is to give this vehicle to one of my kids in two, or three years, good long term reliability. After driving several '08 Accords, I was very disappointed and despite the hype and the pro-Honda people, it came off my list. My favorite was the Passat, but after having less than stellar reliability from three in the past (2000 and two 2002's, the first 2002 literally died with 24 miles on it) it fell to the wayside. The Saab was fun, but in the same category as the Passat. When the dust settled, it came down to the Malibu 2LT V6 and the Camry V6. Stylewise and price with $3000 in old GM credit card rebates, the Malibu was a strong possibility. On the other hand, I felt claustrophobic in it, the mileage was the worst of the V6's and two of the four I tried had multiple rattles. Although aesthetically challenged, the Camry V6 best met my criteria and I just hope Toyota gets their act together on the '09's. Late last week my dealer received their first allocation of '09s and the one allocated to them has my name on it. If I was going for a four cylinder, I would have bought the Altima. To me, for a mainstream FWD sedan, it's one of the best balanced from a ride/handling standpoint, but their option set up on the V6's just didn't meet what I wanted.
  • tired_old_davetired_old_dave Member Posts: 710
    "... I felt claustrophobic in it,..."

Was it the center stack and lack of leg/knee room. Was it this curvature of the interior that our previa had (taken from the vette? and used by other automakers too). This is eased on our '04 by use of the adjustable pedals and steering wheel.
This discussion has been closed.