Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Brake Problems

Comments

• terrybillterrybill Member Posts: 6
    Ed,

Lots of luck dealing with GM customer service. I had the same brake line problem last year in a 2004 Silverado, with 48,000 miles. Had to replace all brake lines due to rust-induced failure. Cost me over $1,300 at Chevy dealership to repair. When I talked with GM customer service they told me that it was a problem due to me being in a northern climate (Cincinnati), rather than them using crappy material in such a safety-sensitive area. So GM's message to us living north of the Mason-Dixon Line is to beware, because we are driving potential death traps. NHTSA has an ongoing investigation, but they neither return phone calls or answer e-mails. Seems to me that a class-action lawsuit may be the only way to address this problem.

Terribill
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    To contact the customer service reps, click on the blue "gmcustsvc" name in the heading of any of their posts to being up their profile. You'll see a direct link to the email address there.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
  • kevinchevykevinchevy Member Posts: 3
    I just picked up my silverado today after having all brake lines replaced along with the front calipers. Fortunately both times the brake line blew I was in my driveway. The chances of both the front and rear system going at the same time are pretty slim, but it is a little freaky when they let loose. Toyota did a nice job with their recall when their tacoma frames where rusting out. I like my silverado but would be nice if GM stepped up and acknowledged this problem.

Kevin
  • hateful_jimhateful_jim Member Posts: 43
    Hateful Jim here- just got your email, i apologize for not replying sooner. I havent had ANY luck with ANYONE that seems to be interested in taking the time to make GM pay restitution for ALL the trouble and expense from producing CRAP trucks, and ENDANGERING the lives of hardworking AMERICANS. Obviously, the government doesnt care about its citizens either, or they would step in and make GM acknowledge the problem. Maybe GM should move to China, their quality is of that or less than most Chinese products.
    If anyone can help get a CLASS ACTION SUIT started, SOMEBODY PLEASE LET ME KNOW- I'll be HAPPY to be in the first 5 to sign on.

REMEMBER- DO NOT TAILGATE, YOUR DRIVING A CHEVROLET, IT MAY JUST COST YOU YOUR LIFE!! GREAT DAY, HATEFUL JIM.
    Hateful Jim here again, replying to pattipie3. Thanks again for reminding me of the crash i had at Lowes due to the brake failure, that GM said they could NOT find anything wrong with the truck, BEFORE the crash occurred, even though the brakes failed numerous times BEFORE the crash.
    I just emailed a CLASS ACTION attorney in California, and maybe, just maybe he'll be interested in representing all the folks on this site, that have had near crashes, or even crashes, along with all of us that have had to fix our trucks ourselves at ENORMOUS expense, when they should have been fixed by GM at THEIR expense.
    When/IF i get a response from the attorney, i'll post a note to let you ALL know about the reply, and if they are interested, ALL will have a chance to sign on and get restitution.
    Remember- DRIVE SLOW, YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO SLOW DOWN OR STOP- IT MAY JUST SAVE YOUR LIFE- REMEMBER YOU DRIVE A CHEVY!! JIM
  • donl1donl1 Member Posts: 112
    There must be an ambulance chaser out there somewhere that would give it a shot. If they can get a brain dead woman a million $ plus settlement because the coffee she spilled was hot there should be a chance here.
  • mrfixit911mrfixit911 Member Posts: 31
    Let us all know if you get somewhere with a lawyer. Maybe... anyone who reads this and will sign a class action suit, let everyone know on here ,so we could have an idea of how many people are together on this.

FYI to others, I have all the posts to this forum sent to my regular emails so I don't miss anything. That way if someone gets somewhere with GM or a class action lawyer, we will know as soon as it's posted. Thanks Jim.
  • variezevarieze Member Posts: 2
    Well, I am ready to be added to the list of brake failures on a 2000 GMC 2500. I am the original owner. Just bought my first boat since I purchased the truck. Was backing down the boat ramp this past Saturday and the pedal went to the floor. The emergency brake saved the day. Although it doesn't work very well it did stop me. If we had been on the road pulling our travel trailer the emergency brake would have been useless. Found the brake line below the master cylinder on the frame that goes to the right front brake spraying on the manifold.
    I have not had a lot of problems with the truck but the ones I have had have been major ones. Transmission just past warranty time, radiator, and the cross member that holds the gas tank rusted out earlier this year. This truck has been well kept.
    Count me in on a class action. Steve
  • pattipie3pattipie3 Member Posts: 25
    Hi Steve, I am in the process of researching this issue, and trying to see what can be done. In the meantime my husband also had a very close call with the brake line failure. Also found out the crossmember that holds gas tank is rusted out. Since you had the same issue, I was hoping you can tell me how you fixed it. GMC service dept. said there is no replacement part, so we are on our own to figure something out. So ANY info. you could give me would be greatly appreciated. By the was I am currently going through a Toyota Tundra recall for a very similar issue. I will keep you posted. Thanks again.
  • variezevarieze Member Posts: 2
    The crossmember has holes in it from the factory. They let it collect water and there is no way for it to drain out. The holes are on the sides and top. Mine rusted out on the passenger side.
    I formed and attached 3" angle iron across the front bed supports and supported the gas tank to it. You have to remove the bed to do this and use a little creativity. I also went to the dealer thinking I could order it. They do not have a listing for it. I did find some hits on the net for it but I didn't have time to wait so I made my own and hit the road. It is a good time to replace the fuel pump when you do this. My pump went out about 1 yr. before I found the crossmember. I did see the rust on the crossmember at the time I rebuilt the transmission but it didn't look to bad then. I couldn't get it off my mind so I checked it this summer before going on vacation to find it rusted through within about only 2" from being all the way around.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    mrfixit911,
    Hello, I am Christina a GM Customer Service Representative on Edmunds as well as other forums. You can find my email by clicking on my user name. Please feel free to email me with your VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and a brief description of your concerns and experience. I look forward to hearing from you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Solicitation for class action suits is against forums rules. You may not actively collect anyone's information for such a purpose, nor can you post attorney information. Any such posts will be deleted.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
  • rotondorotondo Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 Silverado with 6 cyl engine. I had to replace all the brake lines. The truck is full of rust from front to back. I can't even get the spare out from under. I only have 36000 mile on it. Only been in snow about 3 times. I have a leak right under the front of the engine it probably is another line rusted out. Has this been investigated. I would sign up if it has.
    Jim here, since the host says that all the posts concerning info about a class action suit will be deleted, if i get an affirmative answer, if they wont let me post the info here, i'll put an advertisement in a NATIONAL PAPER, and try to let everyone know which one in a future post, and what days to look for it. I dont get to read emails daily, but i'm working on it. Let ya know something soon. THERES TOO MANY DANGEROUS CHEVYS ON THE ROAD TO LET THIS GO. Someone in MY family may just get killed, because we have ALL preferred Chevy trucks over all others. Its just a roll of the dice, the more you roll, the more chances of a serious accident.

REMEMBER, IF YOUR DRIVING A CHEVY, DRIVE LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS UPON IT- IT REALLY DOES!!
    Jim here- just wanted to say that GM's failures are not isolated to their trucks alone, wife bought a BRAND NEW 1990 Pontiac Grand AM, in 1990. Everytime you tooted the horn, the seat belt chime would chime. Chevrolet here couldnt figure it out, so i contacted the GM office in Michigan. Turned out that the tech's up there couldnt figure it out either. They told me- "just dont blow the horn". So you see, they build these things, but they really dont have a clue.

Just thought you'd like to know that their trucks arent the only thing they mess up. Jim.
    How did you hear that the host won't allow posts about class action suit? And how can they do that? I think there should be a separate web site just for people in this situation to post, so that there is an accurate head count of how many trucks are involved. If I can get that together I will post a link.
    THIS IS THE EMAIL I SENT TO CHRISTINE AT GM ...........

Dear Christina,
    Two weeks ago, my husband was driving his 1999 GMC Sierra, when suddenly and without any warning, the brakes went out completely. He came very close to getting into a vary bad accident. After being towed to a GMC service center, he was told the brake lines had rusted out. We had to have the entire brake line done, at a cost of over $1,600.00. Then while the truck is being worked on we get the news that the crossmemeber of the frame that holds up the gas tank is also severely
    rusted out.Obviously this is a huge danger to be driving around in a truck that the gas tank can fall out of. The GMC service center said there was nothing they could do as this is part of the frame.

First, I would like to say that my husband has babied this truck from day one. It has never been off road, never been even near water, mostly used to drive back and forth to work, and an occasional trip to Home Depot. My husband is a HUGE believer that we should all buy american cars, he has also always been a big proponent of GM. He is absolutely floored that this has happened.

Second I would like to point out that this rusting issue is not something that you can really see from just going under the truck. It is not until the bed is off the truck that you can see the severity of the rusting. This is a very scarry issue, as the gas tank could just give way without any warning as did the brakes. Luckily my husband is an experienced driver that was able to avoid a potentional fatal accident, but I can't even imagine a younger less experienced driver having this happen to him/her. I have never seen a vehicle rust this badly at any age.

I would greatly appreciate you looking into this matter. Also please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or require any additional information.

THIS IS THE REPLY .......

Patti,
    I don't see any information on a recall or anything for your concerns. I have documented your experience, thank you for taking your time out to explain your concerns and situation to me.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service

THANKS GM !!!!!!!
    Jim here, I also have been a loyal Chevy truck owner. I have NEVER had anything but Chevy trucks, but they have made a believer out of me. They really do NOT CARE, nor do they have ANY INTENTION of owning their problems. HOPE YOU ALL SEE WHAT WE GOT WHEN OUR WONDERFUL GOVERNMENT GAVE GM THE STIMULUS- SCREWED!! As for me- wont happen again. The Chevy Silverado in my driveway will be my last GM product. Guarantee it!! Hateful JIM!!
  • barnowl3barnowl3 Member Posts: 70
    Patti, I second what Jim said. Your husband was lucky as my front brake line rusted out after approx. 4.5 yrs on my 2003 with only about 45,000 miles. The rear set went out in 2010. The 5 PS steering lines rusted out along with the PS pump. Event the top of the transmission dipstick rusted and the handle fell off! After replacing the rusted out oil cooler lines for the 2nd time, ( they last less than 4 yrs), I gave up. After 33 yrs, I am now a proud owner for Ford truck. You can report the brake lines to NHTSA, as they have been investigating this. Consider that you may be saving someone's life, as you never know what a 6,000 GM truck will hit when it suddenly loses all brake line pressure. Christina's and GM's response is not only uncaring for their customers, it is irresponsible from a safety perspective. There was obviously something wrong for rust to be this highly accelerated, especially on brake lines.
    Pattipie,

I also sent an e-mail to Christina concerning the complete rust-induced brake failure in my 2004 Silverado at 48,000 miles. I just got off the phone with John, a GM customer service representative, who informed that GM intends to do nothing in my case. He said brake maintenance was customer responsibility, and since my truck was out of warranty they would offer no assistance. I pointed out to him that brake pads and rotors were customer maintenance issues, but certainly rusted brake lines at less than 50K miles were not. I also said that brake line failure represented the failure of a critical component that should last well more than 100K miles. Needless to say he was not swayed by my arguments. Therefore, it appears that GM values a few million dollars more than the lives of its customers. If the NHTSA investigation does not result in a recall, our only option appears to be legal. In any event, we should be active in ensuring the public is aware of this issue.

terribill
    sorry to say, the NHTSA concluded their investigation, and there will be no recall. While doing research on this I found out that Toyota had the same rusting issue with their Tundra trucks.... the documents I read said there were just 60 complaints on file, and they had to do a full recall. From what I can see there are hundreds of complaints and yet no recall. Oh yeah I forgot we bailed out GM and have a huge financial stake in them.... but whats a few lost lives. I urge anyone that has had a premature rusting problem to make a formal complaint to the NHTSA. In the meantime I am working on getting a website with all the info. posted on it.
    pattipie,

Perhaps the NHTSA investigation was dismissed because of government ownership of GM. A massive recall of all these vehicles would certainly have cost many millions.

terribill
    There was a recall for brake sensors. That didn't solve the problem. It was the cheapest thing they could do.
    I drive a Ford now. Haven't had to fix or repair daily. No problems after 125k.
    Pattiepie3- you have my email. If theres anything i can do to help get a site up to educate the motoring public about GM's failures to do the right thing, as well as the "so called -safety" of GM products, please let me know. I want to sign on!!
    http://sites.google.com/site/gmbadbrakes/

Jim I am still working on a website, but this one that someone else did is great ... you just can't add to it, which is what I am trying to do. I did however open a facebook group called: GM rust buckets that I am adding all the info. and links I have gotten so far.
    I tried to reply to your email off this forum, but it did not go through, so I hope you can get onto the facebook group.
    Pattipie3 and hateful_jim count me in! I lived through the sudden loss of brakes 2X and saw many other lines rust out and parts fall off. I finally traded in the truck but have documentation, pictures and parts. Hopefully GM may wake up some day and realize that they will be responsible for unnecessary injuries and deaths due to their purposeful ignorance of this.
    jim here, unfortunately i'm not on facebook, but i'll see what i can do just so i can get on the facebook group. I have it set up here on edmunds so that when a post comes in, it shoots it straight to my email, so i've been watching these things happen for quite a while now, and i thought i was the only one having trouble with my chevy, with ghost symptoms and all. thanks again, jim.
    As I'm sure anyone reading this knows, GM has a huge rusting problem. I realize that vehicles DO rust after time, but the severity of the affected trucks is NOT normal wear. PLEASE if you are having problems with this issue, you need to make a formal complaint with the NHTSA and GM headquarters, and anyone else in your area you can think of ( newspaper, other forums, etc)

This is a serious and dangerous issue. I have been researching this as much as I can and I have created a blog that I will list all information that I collect. I also hope people will post their issues and / or information they come across.
    the link to my blog is http://gmrustbuckets.blogspot.com/ ...........

The NHTSA did open a recall case on March 30, 2010 and ended it on January 5, 2011 NO RECALL. This is the same time Toyota was having the same issue with their 2000-2003 Tundra truck. Those trucks were in fact recalled.

I know our government bailed out GM and there is a lot at stake here financially if a recall was issued, but quite honestly I think SAFETY MUST COME FIRST !!!!

I will continue to research this issue and post anything I find, and I hope that others will do the same. if we can not get a recall then I would hope we could all file a class action lawsuit.
  • midnight15midnight15 Member Posts: 1
    Awesome detail, saved me a lot of time with the step by step. Although I don't have a shop nearby to do the pressing I just used a 5lbs sledge to knock out the old lugs and then tapped the new ones in a little and re-assembled using the nuts to pull them in the rest of the way. Also I put some grease under the clips to help prevent rust after cleaning them up. All is good now.
    Thanks for the HELP!!!
  • walterkeenwalterkeen Member Posts: 1
    Just had a brake line between the ABS module and the splitter on the rear axle burst from rust. Inspected the others and they ALL need to be replaced. I'm going to file a complaint with the NHTSA, but I'm not sure if that will get anywhere. I've had PLENTY of 20-30+ year old cars, and NEVER had an issue with brake lines rusting, even on an old Gremlin. The only time I've had to replace lines like this is when something else rubbed on it to the point of wearing through it. This is the first time I've seen rusting brake lines. This is ridiculous, they shouldn't be allowed to use whatever material this is for brake lines.

I'll be replacing them after taking many pictures, but I won't take it to the dealer in fear that they might put new lines of the same material on it. I certainly can't trust my families safety to that kind of practice. I think this will be the last GM vehicle I own.

The only good thing I can say, is that I wasn't on the freeway, or I might not be typing this. Even at 30mph, pedal to the floor took at least 3x longer to stop.

I've already called my friends with GM-made vehicles, and I'll say the same thing here. If your car/truck is made by GM, take a minute and look under your vehicle at the brake lines. If they're showing signs of rust, for your own sake, don't ignore it.
    Walter,
    This is a well known problem with GM trucks in those years. From what I have seen, not all are affected, but if you are, it can be bad. I had 2 early failures on an 03 after about 4 and 6 years. NHTSA does have an open case on it, so report it. Save your lines as they need samples and definitely take pictures. There are SS lines available, that work out well. Save your receipts as well for NHTSA. Someday GM may come clean on this defect. If you have hydroboost on your PS system, it boosts your brakes and you should check your PS lines. Lose that, and you lose power steering and power brakes at the same time ( a real thrill if you are towing) You are lucky, as the lines tend to suddenly fail during a panic stop. I am speaking from experience, as well as hearing other stories. Keep on getting the word out to your friends.
    An update, The person on here as "gmcustsvc" did set me up a complaint/service order. I was under the impression it was a courtesy check of my vehicle and GM Corp was receiving all our complaints from here. Prior to taking to dealer, I received a phone call from a GM Corp rep via phone. I was told GM would not do anything for my rusting brake lines and had no clue what we all have been talking on here about. So unless the NHTSA does something,( If they were, it should of happen by now) were stuck with a death trap until we spend $1000's to make our vehicles safe.
    Jim here- sorry i just read your post, sometimes i dont get the notification emails showing that someone posted, for some reason. I READ THAT HERE ON THIS FORUM, THAT THEY WOULD NOT ALLOW POSTS ABOUT A CLASS ACTION SUIT. Just scroll back and its there somewhere, i think possibly posted by the host, but am not totally sure about that.
    As for GM, president Osama bailed them out, so i guess that they are above reproof, so all the only recourse i have is to drive this flower pot til it dies, and then buy another truck made by a "REPUTABLE" automotive manufacturer, like maybe 'FORD' or maybe HONDA, or TOYOTA. Hell, at least Toyota admits it and recalls their OOPS.
    EVENTUALLY, ENOUGH OF THESE DANGEROUS TRUCKS WILL FALL APART, HOPEFULLY BEFORE SOMEONE GETS KILLED, and EVERYONE will know that GM just builds C-R-A-P. And to think they get paid about 30.00 an hour to sit around and make JUNK!! We should have just let GM dissappear!!
    Post 441
    Dear "Fellow" Americans, and others at the "AMERICAN OWNED" GM plant. I just have 1 question that really plagues my mind. And i would really like to get a straight, and truthful answer, if that is at all Possible, please.

With all the posts listed here about rusted out brake lines, and brake failures on the GM trucks- that GM denies ANY knowledge of, or any knowledge of any problems with brake failures, Assuming that the fellows at GM can READ these posts:

My question is this- Has GM made any changes to their NEW trucks, in the way of different materials used to produce the brake lines, or are they still using the same brake lines and material used in the trucks from 2000 and up? I'm really interested in knowing if they have made any changes, or can we expect the 2011/2012 model trucks to be built with the same brake lines, and same expected brake failures built right into the truck?

I am assuming that the other FAITHFUL Chevy truck owners, much like myself, would be really interested in hearing your reply, since Christine can only say that GM has NO KNOWLEDGE of these problems, since SHE has been replying to some of the posts, as long as i have been watching and waiting on this posting site, ( which is a pretty looooonnnnngggg time now).
    Thanks for any information you can give me about the brake lines on the new trucks, I really do like Chevy trucks, but BRAKES ARE NOT, I REPEAT, NOT AN OPTION I PLAN ON DOING WITHOUT!! JIM..
    AMEN !!!!!!!!!!
    My husband had the exact same thing happen to him. I would also recommend that you check the frame, especially in regards to the gas tank. My husband was told his is about to fall out, and a neighbor of mine has a Chevy Silverado ( same frame) and his gas tank DID fall out while he was driving. So sad that GM will not stand by their products. Please visit a site that I set up with all GM contact information. Hopefully if enough people speak up they will do something. [non-permissible content removed] luck!
    http://gmrustbuckets.blogspot.com/

Patti
  • paparichardpaparichard Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 sierra 2500 4wd crew cab with 35,750 miles. My brakes and power steering have gone out twice. first time when backing out of my barn. Started it up and put in reverse and had no brakes. Threw it in neutral and nearly tore off my mirrors before I got it stopped. Folded them in and backed out slowly and found I had no steering. Worked hard backing up and forth to get it to the house to call the dealer. After a dozen or more attempts it broke loose,and I had brakes and steering. I checked the fluid in the pump and is was over full. Took it to the dealer and they changed the steering box first, then when that did not work ,the pump.After That ,I drove it about 120 miles, parked it, and a few days later went to leave,and no brakes or steering. Called the dealer and they sent a wrecker to pick it up.Before the wrecker arrived,I took the cap off the pump and it blew fluid every where. I had to pressure wash it before the wrecker picked it up.When the wrecker picked it up,had brakes and steering. Now the dealer says that General motors wants to put a fluid in the pump that is not as thick.They think it is too thick for colder weather and I should let my engine idle a while before driving???? I think they are full of bull since it did not happen the 2 past winters.Who ever heard of warming up an engine to make sure your brakes and steering works? I hope this will help others who may have or experiencing this problem. I tow a 11,500 lb. RV 5th wheel. RH,
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Thank you for your patience in working with us to sort through this concern. If we can follow up with your dealership for you to see if we can learn more from them, please let us know in an email that includes your name, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and the name of your dealership.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Jim,
    AMEN X2. FYI, I did look at the new GM trucks and yes they NOW do coat their brake lines (hmm, seems engineering does realize they had a problem) . But on trade, when the dealer said he needed to deduct $ from the trade due to a rusted out bumper ( which they undercoated under warranty and replaced the rusty rear after ONE month of ownership), and a bad Stainless Steel Exhaust ( rusted inside, $1,000 to replace since it is welded to the catalytic and they refused to fix under warranty). Their response was, well it is not all SS, but I showed them the window sticker and got a blank stare. So I said, what else will they cover up and not stand behind? Why put myself through this pain again? I walked out and drove to Ford.

So now I hear the NHTSA closed their case and GM continues to ignore this issue till it goes away.Well GM, here is what you lost in the past 6 months due to just one lost loyal customer after 33 years:
    1.) 2 Months ago - One lost $50,000 sale on crew cab diesel, not a GM.
    2.) Wife needs a new car, kiss that $35,000 sale goodbye. Oh yeah, no service or parts sales from us for 10 years.
    3.) Sister needs a car, wants a Buick. She trusts me, since I've worked on cars for 33 years. She knows of my experiences and trusts my recommendation.
    4.) Neighbor looking to buy another Buick. He knows my story.
    5.) His son has a GM truck with brake problems, he knows my problems. yep, you will lose that sale too as he said GM blew him off as well. Hmm..pattern
    6.) Co worker lost his brakes on his GM pickup (again rusty brake lines, go figure!), and his wife hit a tree in the front yard. Yep they drive a Honda pickup now.

And my recommendations will continue, because GM trucks with suddenly failing brakes will hit other innocent vehicles.
    Pattiepie3,
    Can you provide more info on the facebook group? I searched for it, but it did not come up in a Facebook search. These posts did come up in a search though!
  • paparichardpaparichard Member Posts: 2
    The dealer is working well with me to solve the problem and I will pick it up tomorrow. Will let you know what develops from there. I do not feel to safe not knowing if this is a test on my truck or if this really is the problem.They say it is only happening with the diesels in the north in extreme cold weather,and the diesel idles on a lower RPM. If this is happening,I can not find anyone posting this problem on the net from the north,only a few on older models. Two winters and no problems till now makes me wonder on my truck.(????).RH
  • hardy227hardy227 Member Posts: 1
    What about the truck frames. They are rusting apart! Your bumpers, made of heavy metal but rusting through in three years. Anyone driving a GM truck better get your brake lines checked and replace immediately.
  • lastchevyibuylastchevyibuy Member Posts: 1
    I had the problem with the 4wheel drive light coming on and not being able to use 4wd. I ended up taking out the push button switch and re soldering the loose wire connections after i fixed the hole that appeared in the transfer case caused by a BAD PART inside it. It works now and light does not come back. I wish the abs problem was this easy to fix. Bought chevy all my life. This silverado is the LAST CHEVY I WILL OWM. $50,000 piece of ****
  • tcouchmantcouchman Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 GMC 2500 HD and just replaced all the calipers and pads @ 60000 mile in 2009. Now I'm having to do it again on the front and I went back to Autozone where I first got them to get the warranty honored and they can't get the caliper alone they only sell a loaded caliper. Well to make a long story short they ended up paying me back for a set of calipers, core fees, and pads from O'Reilly's and to turn the rotors. Also my wife's Tahoe had calipers go bad on the rear at 65,000 mile. What happened to making things last!! My older daughter has the first Toyota Tacoma truck in our family and I'm curious to see what it will do versus the Chevy's. My brother in law has had Toyota trucks for years and never had problems like this with brakes.
    Jim here- Just wanted to say, WINTERS HERE- Wife drives across Cowee MTN every day, but she wont be driving my Chevy truck, (JUST IN CASE). I found a like new NISSAN Exterra, needs just a little bit of transmission work, but am getting it for 1000.00. I'm pretty sure the brake lines or the frame rails wont fall out on her now.

TOLD YA MY NEXT PURCHASE WOULDNT BE A GM PRODUCT. HAVE A GREAT DAY, HATEFUL JIM SAID THAT!!
  • chevy77chevy77 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 2004 GMC. I changed the brake booster and rotors and pads and still have the problem. Have you found the problem yet?
    1st, have you read all the posts ? There are 2 main problems. Mine was/is the ABS computer/sensors would sense a sudden stop situation ( under normal driving) and in turn active the ABS which would not let the brakes work for a normal stop, brake pedal would go to floor and you could feel the ABS working. If you pump fast enough, you will stop. I pulled the ABS fuse and no problems since(1 yr ago). I'm getting close to the other main issue of rusted brakes lines. The brake lines were made so cheap, they rust out way too fast for the age of the vehicle.The lines can't hold the pressure.Some people on here replaced brake lines, at their own expense.
    Unless your vehicle is still under warranty, Gm won't even talk to you. A few of us tried this approach and GM says they won't fix. Mine did have a recall , but all GM did was blow the dust off the sensors. I personally don't drive my truck much unless absolutely need to. When I do get rid of it, it will be at auction or give it away and make sure the new owner knows the brake problem.

2002 silverado.

good luck !
    1st, carefully check all your brake lines to ensure they are not rusting bad. Just heard on another board, yet another 2003 Chevy 25500HD lost it's brakes last night trying to negotiate an icy curve...ABS and then no brakes due to another rusted out brake line due to poor engineering.
    I had a 2003 GMC 2500 and it too never had good braking, from day one. Replacing the rear rusty rotors in the warranty period helped, only slightly. These trucks had hydroboost, meaning the power steering pump boosted the brakes. You need to bleed this system. Check a service manual, but you lift the front end and turn the steering wheel end to end like 20 times. I think with the engine not running. Sounds goofy but it works. My brakes got better ( never great) and that lasted for a few months or so.
    If yours is like mine was, also check for corrosion on the power steering brake lines ( there are like 5 of them) and the power steering pump nipple. These are areas or corrosion where mine let go. Unfortunately, could not find SS lines like I did for the brake lines. The extra nice feature when you lose you power steering line, your steering gets real tough and and you lose power brakes.
    Good luck, check those lines for your safety and others! I now drive a Ford Crew, and can tell you for sure, after running that GMC for 8 years and replacing brake lines, flex lines, rotors, and calipers and numerous trips to the dealer, that the brakes on those trucks just flat out sucks. Don't expect miracles, just a slightly better pedal.
    Do not ignore the brake lines, they blow when you really need them without warning.
  • willie44willie44 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 silverado 2500hd and I really like my truck but I have also experienced the same brake issues. I guess I was lucky because getting all new brake lines done cost me $979.64. I thought that was high but now I feel a little better reading how much others have paid.