Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• agh15agh15 Member Posts: 90
    Does any one know if their will be any changes to the discovery for the 2002 model year.
  • oceandwelleroceandweller Member Posts: 58
    According to Tincup(I thank you) My '96 Disco was built on a Friday, yet I have not had any major problems with her. She's beautiful...gotta polish her though, and running smoothly. I noticed some hissing when I was accelerating, but her pick up has increased so much since I added synthetic. Anyone use Magnecor ignition wires?? Mine were delivered today and I'm gonna buy Bosch Platinum +4 spark plugs and 'freshen' her up next week... let me know if anyone had tried this... I'll share any changes I notice! Hopefully there will be many!! Good luck to all and happy discoing!
  • expert1expert1 Member Posts: 133
    Although the V-8 in my DiscoII is more than I have every had I was wondering the same thing about the use of synthetics and the like for power increase. Will the use of a K&N air filter help? Synthetics are already used in the axles, but will their benefits offset the cost of the fluid? Quaker State on sale is $.89/qt X 6.1 quarts every 3000 miles as opposed to a synthetic at $3.00+/quart. I read about all the maintenance issues with Rovers, but cannot fanthom were these people come from. For a car to last along time it needs preventative maintenance. How can spending one hour lubing, changing oil, and checking things be so hard? I just checked at the local auto supply and the oil filters are the same ones I use in my Dodge Caravan, the air filter is $10.99 and the oil used is only one quart more than my 70 Nova. What are these whinners complaining about? Brake pads are a snap to change and my wife has never gotten more than 19,000 miles out of any brake job. No wear indicators? Ruined rotors? Give me a break!! All 4X4s are in need of periodic checks. So far mine is flawless, fit and finish. I can't say that for my 2000 Chevy truck, having coolant leaks and dash replacements from day one. I searched for 1 and 1/2 years before picking up my DiscoII. Compared to a Durango, Trooper, Montero etc., for the same money I take a DiscoII any day. Cost? Every price parts for a Trooper? By the way, from what I read all Discos are either built on Mondays or Fridays, mine was built on a Monday. Maybe they have Tuesday-Thursday off in England.
  • nanuqnanuq Member Posts: 765
    I'm glad your truck is running so well! Tincup is right, it's probably anecdotal evidence that says these things are bad if built Mon/Fri. But it seems plausible in that these are truly hand made trucks and if the "wrench" is distracted... well, you can have mistakes. I'm sure it's lots better than it used to be, in any case.

Besides all that, who's to say yours isn't the one that Good Ol' Charles made, as his very last Rover before he retired on that Friday years ago? He would have given it his all to make sure it's perfect... and that's entirely plausible too (and if so, I bet he put his initials inside the back of the driver's seat under the upholstery...)

Each Rover has a distinct personality. Some are cranky, some love to sing. Even the cranky ones, once you get them "over the hump", working out all the bugs, they tend to stay fixed. That's the point I'm at now, and I couldn't be happier.

The hissing... get under the truck with a 12mm socket and loooooong extension (left side) and short extension (right side) and check the three nuts holding your Y-pipe to the exhaust manifolds. Mine come loose every month or so. Make sure you don't break off one of those studs in the manifold! The ones over top of the front diff are a bugger to get at, so work your left arm up over the axle and twist them that way.

Have a great weekend all, -Bob
    Best solution for MORE POWER is to drive around in "3" instead of "D". Do this up to about 50mph or so, it makes a BIG difference. Within a month the ECU will "learn" that you like to do this and your mileage will be about the same as before, with lots better power.

Good luck, -Bob
    I read one post that a persons warranty was void since the dealer determined that he used 87 octane in his Disco. Is this true? The owners manual states that 87 octane can be used, but performance and mileage will suffer. Mileage complaints? I used to jump up and down with delight when my Suburban got 13 on a long freeway trip, so 13-17 isn't that bad. I was told if you want to use a lower octane gas just dump a can of injector cleaner in every 6th tank or so. I guess that the octane boosters used (probably methnol) to get to 90-92 do a better job at keeping the injectors clean. Any Comments? I haven't experienced any pinging, though I haven't pushed it up the mountain yet.
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    If the problem was related to detonation caused by using 87 octane fuel, then the warranty would not cover it. It would not void the warranty on the whole vehicle. The loss of performance is probably more of an issue than fuel economy. Especially if you want to tow or operate under high load conditions.
    I've got to agree, when I'm climbing hard with my Disco, it is NOT happy with 87 octane, it pings unless I keep the RPMs way up. Get the higher octane if you're going to work her hard offroad and you'll like it better.

The mechanics here recommend Chevron premium, saying the Techron is the best blend of cleaners. I usually alternate between Texaco and Chevron, to get the best of both worlds. I never use injector cleaner and don't miss it... she runs like a scalded cat.

(whoops, here come the PETA people!) -Bob
    I agree with Bob, using '3' under 50mph makes a wonderful difference. After having her for over a year now, I can see the changes and it's obvious to me that she prefers driving in '3'on back roads and the like. Even at highways speeds she performs better now in 'D' than she did when I first purchased her. Also, the K&N air filter made a difference in 'pick-up' along with Castrol Syntec engine oil. I always use 92 octane or higher at Mobil/Exxon or Hess. I haven't seen a Chevron station in years! I don't mind spending money on preventative care if it helps her live with lots of joy and for a long long time!! This coming week is tune up time for me and Magnecor just delivered my ignition wires, I'll be combining them with Bosch Platinum +4 plugs... just gotta pick up some tools... I'm thinking of replacing the oxygen sensor as well.. with Bosch. Hey Bob, have you used the Bosch plugs and/or Magnecor wires?? Anyone else? I'm curious to know if anyone as tried them. They're running a special for rovers on their site, it's a great deal.. the average price of the ignition wire set is btwn $79-$95, BUT at www.Magnecor.com they're only $55 and change..not bad!! Good luck to all and Happy Discoing! -Lesley
  • mrtoad3mrtoad3 Member Posts: 68
    To get better power from the engine I have been using the "sport" mode and 3rd gear around town and this makes a big difference with throttle response and pick-up is greatly improved. Try it and you'll like it! Mileage suffers only a bit.
    I just got done talking to my local Rover parts man and since he has been at the dealership (2 years)he has had NO Disco I parts that will exchange with the Disco II. This might mean that also any neative discussion that has been present in this forum is out dated and meaningless. He stated that the new design also has eliminated almost all the problems with the earlier models. My fit and finish are prefect. Changed my first oil, 6 quarts and a Fram PH 16 oil filter. Air filters are also plentiful and cheap. BMW changed 85% of the vehicle and for what I can see, all for the better.(except mileage, 12mpg around town, beats a Burb though). Too bad they couldn't retain the company. Next year we will probably see a 4.0 V6 (still lousy gas mileage)with a bothersome Explorer transmission in our beloved Rovers. Ford assured the industry that they won't fool with the Range Rover, but look what they did to Jaguar.
    Yeah, all they did was up their quality level until they are one of the leaders. They revitalised a marque that would be dead by now. I worked for Land Rover under the BMW regime, Ford is a huge improvement. They have been focusing on updating a very outdated production facility and training of the factory personnel. For the frist time in Land Rover's history, we have our own president and corporate officers that are concerned only about Land Rover, not all the products of the Rover Group. The Discoverys coming off the assembly line today have the highest build quality of any Discovery.
  • norwegian143norwegian143 Member Posts: 4
    Hi - Just bought a '99 Disco SALJY1242XA795407 which came off lease - a Series I. When did LR change over to Series II in '99? Or were both available all year? I am confused. Also, does anyone know how to program/use the garage door opener? I am still searching for an owner's manual. Thanks!
    There were 5470 series 1 Discoverys sold in 99. These were carryover vehicles to fill in until Discovery II reached full production. These were sold in late 98 and early 99 alongside the Discovery II. They sold for $3,100 less than a comparably equipped Discovery II. You can get a paper owners manual (P/N LRNA1999DSCWGP) from any Land Rover retailer. Suggested retail on that is $25.00
  • norwegian143norwegian143 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the very helpful info.
    Glad I could help. :)
    While changing my oil Saturday I had the chance to creep under the whole truck. (try to do that with a Durango, Expedition or Montero). I read a post of a hissing sound coming from the exhaust manifolds and the proposed fix of tightening the manifold bolts. All three bolts on each side of the manifold is within easy access and reach. Although I can't see how anything can come loose now with the Disco IIs. I have been shopping at our local wrecker for some accessories for my truck (hitch for example), every bolt on the truck has been permatexed and almost needed a breaker bar to loosen. If all the grunting and groaning that I saw was real I can't see how anything can loosen up on this vehicle. I undercarriage was a real marvel. And they talk about Ford tough!!
    A robust frame assembly has been a hallmark of Land Rover since the earliest days. In fact Ford has adopted a full box section frame on the 2002 Explorer. One thing to remember is that technology and best practices can go both ways. It was Land Rover that pioneered Hill Descent Control, not BMW, but they integrated that into the X-5.
    Heard today about 2002 Discovery, no major changes, no 4.6 engine. Just some wheel and package changes.
  • shaker58shaker58 Member Posts: 130
    M family is looking for a suv my wife loved the look of the disco so it was one of the first we went to test drive. Ater the dealer took us on the test track which was amazing and my kids loved we were handed the keyes and off we went. I seemed no matter how slow we took a turn the kids in back would fly out of there seats is this normal in disco???
  • buroskyburosky Member Posts: 90
    How old are the kids and how slow is slow? I have an 11 year old daughter and a son who is 5. Both sit in the back and neither would fly out of their seats when I turn. Of course I make sure both wear seat belts.

Your question doesn't seem normal to me. I bet most people here would agree.
    How fast are you going man? I also have had passengers in the back of my Disco and none have complained about "flying" out of their seats. Their comment is only that now they can see were they are going, which lessens the car sickness incidence. (although the tall passengers now compain about looking at the visors instead of the back of my seats) I have taken some pretty serious corners with mine and the truck stays flat and glued to the corner. With its weight and big fat tires it hugs the road and still is quite nimble.
  • schwarzstevenschwarzsteven Member Posts: 16
    Tincup, do you have any details on the wheel and package changes? Are the wheels on my 2001 SE ACE going to be outdated?
  • shaker58shaker58 Member Posts: 130
    my kids are 4 and 5 we also took a test drive in other suv's and didnt have this problem and also that you brought it up I felt car sick after sitting in back with them.I thought it was maybe the test track that gave me the car sickness
    will their be at least some new feature or color
    Outdated? No, they are the same wheels on current Range Rover. Made 7 seat pkge available without SLS, and included SLS in ACE suspension package.
  • ruxpin27613ruxpin27613 Member Posts: 7
    Can anyone tell me how to determine the official color of a Discovery? I am looking around and saw one with a sticker that read Rioja indicating the color. Others don't have this - where is the color code? When looking online(and long distance), many wholesalers don't know British Racing Green from Epsom. This is important to the wife because she prefers Epsom!
    If it is a 94-99 Discovery Series 1, there should be a paint code sticker under the Hood on the Radiator support. On the 99-01 Discovery Series II there is no paint code ID on the car. If you get a VIN # I can run down the color of any you are looking at.
    Thanks tincup!
  • donelonpcdonelonpc Member Posts: 8
    Well, I just rolled 20,000 miles on my 2000 Disco II that I bought new in April 2000. No problems except a few rattles, a broken arm rest in the back seat, and a loose trailor hitch. All were fixed immediately by the dealer. I have traveled off road, pulled trailors, and taken long hunting trips. It has met all my expectations and even more. I'll admit, I was concerned about reliability. But, this thing is bullet proof. I usually get a new car about every year or so. But, this one will stay. I can't imagine getting any other SUV, except a Range Rover. Maybe next time.

Hey Tincup. Could you check my build date please. You're probably tired of people asking. VIN #SALTY1247YA253648.

I agree with the Ford Comments. Range Rover will only get better. Areas I would like to see some improvement on the Discos:

1. More power and better fuel econcomy. It can be done.

2. Better feel in the brakes. They may work well, but they feel like mush. The Germans must have crapped in their pants when they hit the brakes.

3. A little better feel with the road. Again, I wish I would have gotten the ACE package. But, $3000 is $3000.

4. I like the goofy ergonomics on the inside. Character.

5. A little more room for egress into the back seat would be nice, but that would require a whole redo on the vehicle.

6. CD in dash.

Picky stuff. But it would be nice.
    Anyone have any other links to Disco parts other the the two: Atlantic British and Rover Parts out of Utah? Atlantic British seems a tad high with some parts more expensive than my dealers' price.
    Glad you are enjoying your Discovery. It was built on 10/29/99. Glad to help.
  • 02discovery02discovery Member Posts: 47
    Tincup47, Please, please assure me that they have no intention of putting a Ford Explorer transmission into the 2002 Land Rover Discovery I intend to purchase. Also, are we really going to have to wait until the vehicles are in the show room to get a look at the 2002 brochures?
    Thanks and Regards to all.

The 2002 Discovery has the same ZF transmission that all the Discovery Series II's have had. There hasn't been time to do any major changes to any of our vehicles. I find it amazing how people think major changes to vehicles can happen so quickly. Ford has owned Land Rover for 13 months, and their sole focus has been in upgrading facilities and learning Land Rover's processes to best see how they can improve them and integrate them into Ford's processes. It takes years, not months, to incorporate major engineering changes. Ford already uses ZF manual transmissions in some of their trucks, so I see no change in ours forthcoming. Remember also, Ford did not buy Land Rover to change them into Fords, just as they haven't changed Aston Martin or Jaguars into Fords. There will be some parts sharing down the road, but these will constitute a minor percentage of vehicle parts.
    To answer your second question, for 2002 Discovery and Range Rover (current version) you probably will not see brochures until they become available in the showrooms. Most of the focus is on the Freelander at this time.
    Here are online parts stores:

http://www.roverconnection.com -great parts/accessories for most models.

http://www.roversnorth.com -located in VT...online shopping and print catalog, good for older models and some newer models.

http://www.magnecor.com -special on ignition wires for LRs -ships fast!

Sites that have links to parts online:

http://www.discoweb.com -variety

http://www.roverunited.com -it's been a while... but it's in my favorites, so it must be good! :) hope this is helpful.
    Since the discovery has been redesigned their has been no new features. will their at least be one new feature on the 2002 model.
    Later in the year, there will be an HSE model that will have a roof mounted dvd entertainment system for rear passengers, and a new in-dash radio/navigation unit. Other than that, no changes
    I think you are wrong on the Ford comments Tincup. From talking to some of the exotic car dealers Ford has turned the Jaguar into a $50,000 Ford Taurus. Also the head of the Explorer division at Ford traveled to Rover to see what Explorer parts can be incorporated into the Rover line. This included engines and transmissions. I know that we have been told "not to believe anything we read and half of what we see" so I hope I am wrong and you are right on the Rover comments.
  • buroskyburosky Member Posts: 90
    I am planning to install side boards on my DII. Has anyone tried installing side boards by themselves? Will I be better off having the dealer do the installation (approximately $100 to install) or is this something I can do (I'm not mechanically inclined at all but can follow instructions well)? The model I'm getting I think is the one where some trimming of the mud guard is involved (the one with the chevron pattern that Atlantic British is selling). Any tips for the do-it-yourselfer? Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Having spent over 20 years in the auto business, many in dealerships, I can say with certainty that the last people that know anything about origin of vehicle content are the people in the Front End of the building. They generally know features that sell cars, and that's it. Ask them luggage capacity, they'll know that, Ask them technical questions about engines or transmissions and it's a wild guess at best. I imagine most say that because the Lincoln LS has the same engine as the S-Type. That was a Jaguar designed engine, not Ford. The proper comparison is to say the LS is a $35,000 Jaguar, not vice-versa. I imagine that the later products will get a family engine (Most likely Jaguar). That will be a definite improvement over the 40 year old GM designed engine we use now.
    I have already obtained a build date from you, but I was wondering if you could provide any information on the inservice date or if the factory warranty has been compromised at all, lemon law etc? I am shopping for extended warranties for this vehicle and my Landrover dealer scared me when I made a phone inquiry as to extending the factory warranty. Since I bought it from another dealer he warns me that the factory warranty could be void for some reason. Any help would be appreciated. VIN #SALTL154YA282430
    There is nothing in our records that shows a problem with this vehicle. Last reported mileage was 5,817. If anything has happened to the vehicle outside of our control, ie. accident not reported, flood damage or other problem, this could affect warranty. But the factory warranty still shows as being in force.
    I'm in the market for a new suv and I really like the look of disco 2, I think it's very stylish, but the reliability and price bother me. I just don't know if im getting my money worth on the disco. The features competitors have the disco does not, competitors to disco also have more room but every time I see the disco it makes me want to get it more and more. Does anyone think this is the right vehicle for someone looking for a luxury suv.
  • grover4grover4 Member Posts: 13
    We have been looking at the 2000 SE - one dealer has offered with a 45K service contract and the other hasn't. Is this a factory/land rover offer? Can we use this at any dealer? Also on our trade in - they are offering 4K below blue book - does this sound right? thanks for the help@!
    I was going to get the 2002 disco but it seems like their not going have anything new on 2002 disco so i might as well get a 2001 disco.
  • yotarulz1yotarulz1 Member Posts: 3
    Just wondering if any of you guys saw one of the past months' Four Wheeler Magazine issues in which they did a test to find out what vehicle was the ULTIMATE 4X4. The Discovery, Hummer, Jeep, and Toyota Tacoma were the vehicles they tested. And wouldn't you know the Tacoma came out on top -- rather unanimously I might add. Just wanted to know first hand how embarrassed you fellows are. I mean you spend $40k+ on an allegedly "go anywhere" vehicle and it gets stomped by a $20k Toyota truck. However I will vouch for the Tacoma that it is truly the best -- so I guess you can rest assured that you got beat by a superior truck and there was no mistake made. No need in crying to the magazine editors like about 30 other "Disco" (how funny) owners, or were those other owners some of you guys. Don't be shy. Maybe some of you rich folks might consider selling you overrated leather seated poser wannabes should trade your Land Rover in on about 3 tacomas -- just an idea. Please respond, I'd like to hear your defense -- if you have one.
    If the 45k service agreement was a factory offer both dealers would have offered it, there would be no reason not to. I would imagine it would be good only at that dealer, or if they have more than one store, at any of them. On your trade, if you follow the topics in the Smart Shopper segment, you'll find that trade-in values available on the net or in books are generally a lot higher than what the true trade-in value might be. If you have a CarMax in your area take your vehicle to them to see what they offer, they will give trade appraisals without trying to sell you a car. This might give you a better idea on what your car may be worth in trade.
    I'm glad you enjoy your vehicle, however I wonder why you feel the need to run down a competing vehicle. Maybe that is the Toyota Way, but it certainly isn't the Land Rover Way.
  • waskowasko Member Posts: 103
    Tom: Thank you for sharing your thoughts - glad you enjoy the Tacoma. Toyota makes great vehicles too.

All: Test drove an ACE and non-ACE DII back to back the other day and must say, for $3,000 extra, I don't know if I could justify it. The DII in general is much more stable in corners than my '96 Disco.

Within the next 30-45 days, I'll probably be going with an '01 SE, no ACE and selling the DI.

Driving the new one was like falling in love all over again! Great vehicles and am glad to see the reliability improving as a whole on the board here. I've been posting for a couple of years and can honestly say that the complaints are much less frequent with the DIIs!

Thanks - wasko
    Hi,
    -Any info on Maintenance etc on a DII VIN: SALTY1240XA207898? (I think it's Epsom - could you verify?)
    Also
    -It's offered as a used vehicle at a local Ford dealership. Has 31,300 miles. They are asking about $26k. Do you thing that's a decent price?