Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota FJ Cruiser Real World MPG

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
edited July 2014 in Toyota
Please report on your FJ Cruiser mileage here.

Include your odometer reading, city/highway mix, driving style or anything else you think may help others compare their mpg with yours. Thanks!

Steve, Host

Comments

• davpaydavpay Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I know the FJ is new or redesigned for 2007, I'm wondering if Toyota will respond with working on better MPG for future models, I'm very interested in looking into a cruiser. I own a 2006 Chevy Silverado 4x4 extra cab with the small V8 and get the same millage that I've read the FJ is getting. My mother who's always been a diehard chevy fan bought a 2000 Camry and says she wouldn't but anything but a Toyota again. So I'm more than willing to trade if the mileage would be better, I've liked all I've read about this SUV. Thanks for any insight that can be given.
  • georgebellgeorgebell Member Posts: 1
    I've read that the fuel suggested is premium, is this the mandatory grade and can the warranty be voided if a problem develops because or regular.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • nmjeepernmjeeper Member Posts: 1
    Just got back from a 5000 mile trip to the coast of Maine.
    I got mpg lowest was 18.3 highest was 21.3 all on regular gas. I drive 75 to 80 on the interstates so I was pleased with the mpg.
  • kruzer4kruzer4 Member Posts: 3
    I have owned my FJ auto. for 3months and have maintained 19.5 miles per gallon. This is city driving in Denver Colorado. Stop and go. Maybe averaging 150 miles a day. I have 9800 miles on it. This milage is also with the A/C on almost continuous. I recently went on a road trip of about 2800 miles thru Minnesota, North Dakota and South Dakota. Averaging 70 miles per hour with the A/C on always. 19 miles per gallon!!!I am confussed on the Premium gas deal. My dealer said that at high altitude regular gas is fine, at sea level I should be using premium.
  • nosbor77nosbor77 Member Posts: 40
    Do you have 4x4?? I'm assuming 4x2.
    Do you have 4x4??
    Can anyone report 4x4 FJ mpg please??

looking to buy..

Thanks
  • kruzer4kruzer4 Member Posts: 3
    it is a 4x4
  • rick_renorick_reno Member Posts: 23
    No - Find Toyota Bulletin PP06-VG6027 issued 3-24/06 - your dealer will have a copy. It says "However, regular unleaded fuel with a minimum octane rating is acceptable." It adds that the HP rating might be reduced with the use of non-premium fuel.

I'm getting 18.7 MPG on regular.
  • don35don35 Member Posts: 5
    I bought my 4WD automatic FJ 5/19 and have been running regular gas for 4300 miles. And I have installed an Airaid air intake system and converted to synthetic lubricant in the engine,differentials and transfer case. The trans comes from the factory with synthetic. I'm impressed with the throttle response and apparent power but not the MPG. I drive 65% city and 35% highway. City is 15 - 17 mpg and highway is 18 - 20 mpg. Prior to the FJ I had a '00 auto 4WD Tacoma with the 2.7L 4 banger. My mpg on it was 18 - 20 city and 18 - 20 highway. It also was all synthetic lube.
  • mbroschmbrosch Member Posts: 1
    I have a new FJ and I'm a little disappointed with the fuel numbers. It's a 4x4 with the manual 6 speed and I did a combination City/Country test of the MPG and came up with 15.6
    The MPG doesn't bother me so much (I traded a 5.4 L Ford that got 11) but the tank is too small. I had the gauge at about a 1/16 of a tank, not touching the empty, and I had only gone 239 miles. Not good. For the desert driving I do I'll need aux fuel if I go anywhere out here in Arizona. On the other hand I feel it's going to be a great hot weather truck with the limited glass and white top. cool :shades:
  • rollbarrollbar Member Posts: 297
    No help here but I can say that shortly after my low fuel light came on I filled up noting that there was still 5 gallons in the tank. I get about 19 combined city and highway so thats an extra 95 miles. I'd feel comfortable going another 50 or 60 miles after the light comes on, if I had to for a fill up.

Roll
  • cspprowlercspprowler Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to buy a 4x4 FJ. Can anyone tell me mpg with towing? I have a pop-up camper that I'll be towing and want to know what the average towing mileage is.
  • engelsmungengelsmung Member Posts: 1
    I have about 17,000 miles on my FJ 4x4. I started it on premium 91-92 octane, then switched to 87. I get 15-17 in the city, and 17-20 on the highway. I was really bad, but after 10K miles it improved a bit. Also, I drive 70+ on the interstate, and the best mileage comes when i travel 55mph on small highways. I have towed a 16' bateau, and got around 15 mph on that trip.
  • martinlee29martinlee29 Member Posts: 5
    On roughly 100 mile trips on inter state only I get 26 mpg heavy @ 70 mph, 28 heavy @ 65mph and 32 mpg heavy @ 60 mph. My crusier was purchased in Feb 07 and is a 4 wheel drive model and these resullts are repeatable.
  • mnfjhuntermnfjhunter Member Posts: 3
    I've got just over 7200 miles on my FJ now. It has the BFG All Terrain TA tires and TRD wheels on it. I would say my average mileage is around 15mpg. I've seen 17mpg a couple times, and as low as 12mpg. I drive it like I stole it most of the time.I wish the shifter was a little smoother. I have a 6 speed manual.I love the way it drives.My biggest complaint right now is that it's like driving a plywood sheet down the road, in that it seems to collect what seems to be 90 percent of the bugs in it's path. It has a bug deflector on it as well.

Nathan
  • steevosteevo Member Posts: 389
    What do you mean by heavy? And how are you figuring your mpg? Don't get defensive but since you are the only person on earth getting numbers like this MAYBE you are making an estimating error?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    since you are the only person on earth getting numbers like this

I'm not sure how you would know this! :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    For who ever is questioning Crusier mileage how about 210 miles @ 70 mph on 7.95 gal of gas, or 198 miles @ 65 mph on 6.95 gal or 234 miles at 60 mph on 6.9 gal or 113 miles at 60 mph on 3.5gal
    My Crusier is an automatic 4 wheel drive
  • lgrtlgrt Member Posts: 5
    After 8,000 miles and watching it closely, MPG is averaging 19.8. Soon you will have a lot more data to evaluate the numbers yourself... Why?

On August 24, 2007, a father and son team will set out from Poulsbo, Washington in a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser on a road trip north, into the Arctic Circle. Along the way the adventures hope to raise awareness of the need to eliminate hate and celebration diversity in our communities across the northwest. The adventurers' geographical goal, Deadhorse Alaska, just a stones through from the Arctic Ocean and the northern most US point, accessible by “road”.

Daily blogs will relay back mileage, gas usage and other test drive information. You can follow the adventure at Road Trip Adventure BLOG (LastGreatRoadTrip.com).

Drop a note at www.LastGreatRoadTrip.com and let us know what other information you would like tracked on this once in a lifetime opportunity.

lgrt
    Celebrate Our Differences and Diversity
    lastgreatroadtrip.com
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Just a note. Be prepared to run into Oil Company rules in Deadhorse. You are allowed within about 5 miles of the Arctic. At that point you will have to take a tour from a local vendor to get out to the Arctic. It would be better to charter a small plane to take you over to Barter Island (Kaktovik). Then you will see a very good example of an Eskimo Village. My favorite by far. Nice people there. A couple small camps you can get lodging and food. Have fun and take plenty of gas. No premium available if your FJ is used to the expensive stuff.

PS
    Your links come up empty.
    Yes... we are picking up the tour at the gate to go the last 5 miles. The plane sounds cool but i think we'll stick to the dirt roads.

A couple of quick facts that affect the MPG of our rig:
    4X4
    Manual 6
    295x70x17 tires

It will be interesting to see which will change the MPG more: the extra tire weight or the change in final gearing from taller tires

and thanks for the link alert :-( this should take you to the blog: Road Trip Adventure Blog (www.LastGreatRoadTrip.com)
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    In my 25 plus years in Deadhorse I saw lots of adventurers come through. It is a good trip if you have the time to enjoy the scenery and wildlife. Just be careful of the big trucks on the haul road. You don't want any rocks through the windshield. Have a great trip! Good grayling fishing about mile 48 out of Deadhorse.
    I figure that section is good for one windshield replacement... thanks for the fishing tip... I'm looking forward to wetting a fly line along the way on this adventure.

LGRT
    Road Trip Adventure LastGreatRoadTrip.com
  • rustyb3rustyb3 Member Posts: 1
    Just got back from a trip to California and got 23.4 mpg on most of my trip. The only time it was less was when I had the air on. Then it droped to 22.2 mpg.

I love this rig. The only thing I would change is the ability to remotely lower the read window while driving.

GB
  • tmp_tan_putmp_tan_pu Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Just bought a FJ cruiser a couple of days ago, and Just noticed a tag on the tank cap saying "premium gas only".

Does it take premium gas only? If not, would regular gas hurt the engine? Would it affect the horse power or mileage?

For people, who have given the real mileage here, did you achieve the mileage with premium gas?

Appreciate any help.

tan pu
  • mgnz47mgnz47 Member Posts: 5
    I have about 6K on my 07 FJ. Its a 4X4 with the Auto trans.
    Have used it in a wide variety of driving situations, to include some off road, and towing. I have yet to break 19mpg in any case, and have been as low as 15. Before I go any further I have to say I love this vehicle. I recently purchased it after my 06 Tundra was totaled in a wreck. (welcome to New Orleans) Overall I like it much better than the Tundra. About the premium gas thing. I first noticed this in the handout and on the web site. The Toyota dealer said it was all a mistake (soon to be fixed) and to use regular gas, which I have from the start. I'm not a big fan of the Dunlop Tires that came with it however. Then are the same as ones that came with my Tundra. Despite rotating them every 5K, and constantly checking the pressure, they were pretty much wore out at about 35K? I expect them same from these, and will replace them with Michelin, which I have always had great luck with. Also the first time I took my new truck off road I got a flat from a sharp rock? First flat tire I have had in years? I wish the gas tank was bigger, at least 26 gals. Hard to go more than 325-350 miles on a tankful. :confuse:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Carrying that extra weight around with a bigger gas tank wouldn't help the mpg any.

Edmunds says the FJ requires premium unleaded fuel (link) - if you are burning regular, your mpg may be taking a hit there too. We had this discussion a while back and the consensus was that regular was ok otherwise (at least that's my recollection). [edit - found the link: toyotasellingg, "Inside Line Long Term Test 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser" #6, 9 Jul 2006 7:24 pm. You'd think Toyota would have changed the specs - what does the fuel label say on yours?]

See What about fuel types & gas mileage? for more. And check out 2007 FJ Cruiser -- Gotta Give it the Good Stuff.
    Just got back from New Orleans--- going 96 miles @ 60 mph 3.6 gal (stopped for breakfast) 26.7 MPG. Coming back 210 mi @ 60 mph - 3.6 Gal (set it and forgwet it) 31.7 mpg. Combined 210 miles 7.2 gal. 29.2 mpg. 07 FJ Crusier automatic 4 wheel drive.
  • hfish1212hfish1212 Member Posts: 14
    My experience is gas with oxygenated additives will always result in lower mpg numbers then pure gas. It is completely unnecessary to add oxygen additives in these days of computer controlled O2 sensors and fuel injection. It's like you are getting 10% less gas per gallon. Also, you haul the extra weight of the additive further reducing mpg.
  • dave7x57dave7x57 Member Posts: 2
    There must be a problem with mine. It is a 4x4 manual, 4 inches of lift, 33 inch rubber, best I get is 18, and typically lots less. I get 16 or less at 75 mph. I get the 18.2 at 55 with everything right. I have 15k miles I use premium. It was worse with reg, but maybe not enough worse to justify the cost.
  • mtndwellermtndweller Member Posts: 4
    Hey, this question isn't about MPG but is fuel-related. I got my FJ in July '07. Loved em since I first saw em and loved it even more when I got behind the wheel. Anyway, everytime I put fuel in, the nozzle clicks off continuously. I have to pull the nozzle almost all the way out for it to pump smoothly and have occasionally, even lost a little gas while doing this. Any suggestions or have you had this problem? Thanks. :shades:
  • tradjazztradjazz Member Posts: 1
    I did a test drive two weeks ago in the FJ that I now own,
    4WD Auto, and on an overall 460 mile trip (mixed city/rural driving) got 22.34 MPG. Mileage is dependent on the driver and his habits. My other car, 96 Lincoln TC, gets s consistent 22.5 MPG. I think that my FJ will improve after a resonable break-in. Jack Rabbit starts and fast stopping deccelarations are the culprits in lousy mileage.
  • seahorse1seahorse1 Member Posts: 9
    Hi
    anyone out there have MPG numbers for a 4x2, mostly city driving? Thinking about buying a "leftover" 4x2, but would like to know if it's possible to get low 20s for MPG in the city, with some freeway. I plan to use regular unless that would void the warranty. Premuim's WAY TOO much out here in California!
    Thanks~! :)
  • judas1judas1 Member Posts: 5
    I think I spotted the problem. 33" tires. What do you think you're going to get with those on there? 25 mpg? Get real.
  • emerlingemerling Member Posts: 12
    I haven't put more than 700 miles on my '08 FJ but the first full tank of gas got me 19 miles per gallon. It's a 4x4 with automatic trans. My driving is a mix of rural (lower speed limits varying from 30mph to 45mph with only a few stop lights) and some interstate driving (short runs to work - 15 minute drives, a few of those miles are at 70 mph). Overall I am pleased because that's about what I got in my 4L Jeep Cherokee Sport, which was lighter and smaller sized.
  • synergy46synergy46 Member Posts: 2
    I have 675 miles on my 2008 FJ. I drive mostly around town and tend to be a little heavy footed (love the acceleration!). I get a little better than 16. (Considerably better than my F150 pu!!
  • hunter12hunter12 Member Posts: 4
    first if I was worried about mpg we would have bought a some small thing
    to drive that said. the avrage was 15 mpg new now with the torando installed at nomrmaly 70 to 75 mph highway were getting about 17.8 in the city 16.5 were happy with that. im shure if we slowed down the numbers
    would get better. if you get a tornado.give it a few tank.s full for I think that need to carbon up a little. but it dos work and yes we love our fj. the things i would change lift gate in rear. and stronger fan for heat and air happy wheeling and god speed
  • brownznhbrownznh Member Posts: 2
    I get around 12 in-town in the winter (RI); 15 tops summer. I have never cracked 19 ever! - no matter what conditions, what speed, etc. I purchased 01/07 and have over 20k. I have the Bridgestone Dueler 17" stock tires and I have used premium from day one. I am really disappointed. I traded in a Range Rover that was similarly abysmal in town, but occasionally hit 20mpg. on the highway. My conclusion is that the full time 4x4 sucks the life right out of the tank. I am ready to switch to regular gas to save money somewhere if there have not really been any adverse consequences to using regular.
  • emerlingemerling Member Posts: 12
    I've got an '08 and have been using regular since day 1. No problems. I hear the mileage may be a bit better with premium, but I won't pay the price for an extra .1 or .2 miles per gallon.
  • smilezsmilez Member Posts: 4
    I'm at 4500 miles. Got the new AFE dry intake and have the TRD exhaust. I haven't done a long trip yet, so I can't say what kind of highway mileage I'm getting. As far as city: Worst tank: 14mpg; Best tank: 18mpg; Averaging: 16-17.

I must say, one thing I'm a little annoyed with is the amount of reserve they have. I'm filling up just over 15 gallons every time the light comes on...for a 19 gallon tank! I would like to not have to fill up so often. Anybody have any suggestions?
  • tnbluefjtnbluefj Member Posts: 3
    '07 4x4 auto with 25,000 miles - no luggage rack - mostly interstate driving - have gotten as high as 24.77 mpg - average 22 - can go 350+ miles on a tank keeping it below 75mph. I also keep the tires aired up to 34 psi. A K&N air filter is the only mod. :)
  • kdunkkdunk Member Posts: 1
    07 4x4 Automatic.............daily driving (4-lane hwy & interstate 60-80 mph) I average 18.5 mpg. If I really work at it, I can get 20 or better. Pulling a trailer (~2000#), mileage drops to around 16.5-17.

If you're that worried about mileage, buy a car!

Personally, I couldn't be happier!
  • gregcarpergregcarper Member Posts: 8
    I wish Toyota would add the diesel option to the FJ - then it could get 30MPG highway and probably 22 city... with essentially the same torque numbers as using regular unleaded gas and hell diesel is cheaper then super unleaded!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rOGmGXcR7M&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUGFxoMTnpw

First appearing in 2000, the 1KD-FTV is one of the newest engines built by Toyota.

The 1KD-FTV is a 3.0L (2982cc) straight-4 common rail diesel engine with a variable geometry turbocharger and Intercooler. It has 16 valves and a DOHC (double overhead camshaft) design. Bore is 96 mm and stroke is 103 mm. It generates 170 hp (125 kW) at 3400 rpm, and 260 lbf·ft (352 N·m) of torque at 1800-3400 rpm. Redline of this engine is at 4200 RPM. Compression ratio is 17.9:1.

This engine uses Toyota's D-4D Common Rail fuel injection technology operating at ultra high pressures of up to 135 mpa (1350 bar or about 19,580psig) which is about 8 times more than the pressure of conventional fuel injection systems within a "common rail" that feeds the injectors on all four cylinders (older diesel engines have a separate line leading from the injection pump to each injector). This is combined with a 32-bit ECU which controls fuel quantity, valve-timing, and boost pressure at different engine parameters resulting in best fuel economy and also full utilization of power during acceleration. Pilot injection is also utilized by the common rail fuel system to smooth engine operation. Small amounts of fuel are introduced into the combustion chamber prior to the main injection event, reducing lag time and promoting more continuous and complete combustion. Exterior and interior engine noise is also reduced.

The 1KD engine produces 17% more horsepower with 11% less fuel consumption than its predecessor, the 1KZ engine. Fuel consumption is also 12% more efficient than Toyota's Hybrid synergy drive.

This engine was first used in Toyota Land Cruiser Prado and now used in the Toyota Fortuner, Hiace and Toyota Hilux.
  • gregcarpergregcarper Member Posts: 8
    Just did the Imperial MPG conversions for the US MPG's using the following data on the D4D installed in UK Toyota Landcruiser weighing 4806 pounds.

Urban (City) 24.6 Imperial MPG or 20.5 US MPG
    Extra Urban (Highway) 37.7 Imperial MPG or 31.4 US MPG
    Combined (Combined) 41.4 Imperial MPG or 26.1 US MPG ( or 9 MPG better than the US FJ using Super Unleaded Gas)

0-62 MPH was 11.2 Sec
    Top Speed was 109 MPH

Why don't we have these in the USA? 597 Miles per 19 gallon tank of diesel verses 291 with Super Unleaded (hwy)... WTH Toyota???
  • junkiecoljunkiecol Member Posts: 1
    Thinking and dreaming about the FJ for me (cause my wife and daughter are trying to take over both of my cars - a Murano and Corolla).
    Not concerned much about fuel consumption while having a Corolla as a 2nd car, - when I need, - it shows me 39 mpg at hwy speed 75-90 miles/hr.
    But my big concern is a small fuel tank of FJ, especially with my habit of night driving from camping sites on remote rural roads.
    My Corolla has a 13.2 gallon tank, Murano - 21.7 gallon fuel tank. I always happy to see that both of my cars normally achieve 250 miles on a half tank, - so usually I have enough gas left for a return trip from a remote site.
  • robsisrobsis Member Posts: 162
    edited May 2010
    Just thought I'd update this page with a 2010. Our 4WD auto 2010 is getting better than 22 on the Fwy at 75 mph...not bad for a Med SUV with these capabilities! :)
This discussion has been closed.