Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buying a used Volvo

slernerslerner Member Posts: 1
Hey all. I'm considering my first Volvo (a 2004 S60R) but am concerned that I would be buying it from the 3rd owner (a private party). Despite the fact that it has the extended 6yr/100K warranty, and the Carfax is clean, should I be concerned that its changed hands so often in 2.5 years? Any input is appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    deaconfredwdeaconfredw Member Posts: 1
    i am also thinkin about buying a 2004 s60
    is there anything i need to look out for
  • Options
    voxboyvoxboy Member Posts: 30
    If past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior, then you too will jettison this car within a year. Only consider if you uncover a satifactory, credible explanation as to why this car changed hands so often. i.e., Regardless of what car you buy, I'm betting you'll feel better if you're buying from someone whose interest in it lasted longer than a hocky season.
  • Options
    philmophilmo Member Posts: 77
    Check/compare with your insurance company the difference between covering a standard S60 vs. an S60R. One is a so-called near-luxery sport sedan. The other is what Volvo wants you to think of as their version of a race car ala M-Series BMW or S-Series Audi. Also, the previous owners might have opted for something with better gas mileage once they spent a few hundred dollars on the R version.
  • Options
    cdpar2000cdpar2000 Member Posts: 2
    Safer, more reliable, better value, better features. Why would you ever consider a volvo???? They are NOT the safest cars on the road. What else do they have going for them? Ford is cutting them lose!!
  • Options
    frankctx1frankctx1 Member Posts: 7
    Just bought yesterday.The trip computer states at times 90 mpg ,and various outputs.pertaining to instantaneous mpg. What does it mean? Also yesterday recieved a cell call and static was produced out of radio (figured the signals were intefering)?
  • Options
    alltorquealltorque Member Posts: 535
    The display will give you a range of read-outs : instantaneous mpg, average mpg, average speed, miles to empty tank etc etc etc. They are exactly what they say. The average mpg is only a guide and then only over reasonable distances, i.e. not a couple of miles. You can select the read-out you want by rotating the ring on the left-hand stalk, (at least it's on the left in my RHD S60), or you can turrn that bit of the display off if you wish.

Can't comment on the radio/cellphone interference but something isn't shielded. You need to talk to an auto electrician, I think.
  • Options
    frankctx1frankctx1 Member Posts: 7
    so..instantaneous is only good for distance? Thanks and also, The trunk release on remote only seems to work from drivers side of car? maybe batterys in remote? thanks again. frank
  • Options
    carfanatic37carfanatic37 Member Posts: 2
    I am trying to decide if I should purchase a 2006 Volvo S60 R AWD with 62K miles on it. It was originally the owners of a volvo dealer. The body is perfect as well as the interior. My issue is maintenance down the road. Should I buy an Infiniti G35 instead?
  • Options
    banana4banana4 Member Posts: 1
    I am seriously considering buying a 2009 S60. I am a single mom (which means not a lot of $ to waste on repairs) and need a reliable car. I commute about 100 miles a day. Would I be better off with Chevy Malibu, Kia Optima - something like that? I'm looking for comfort so the small cars do not appeal to me - been there done that! Any help would be appreciated.
  • Options
    kkelly1121kkelly1121 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am a new buyer and seriously considering buying a beautiful 05 s60 with 65,507 miles on it.... it's $9,000 which seems very fair, I think (is it?).
    I've just graduated college and need a good, reliable car for city driving. I am concerned about the expense of maintenance and upkeep repairs of a volvo (including tire changes, etc.)
    My parents are telling me I should not buy a volvo because of the expensive upkeep.
    I need advice- Are my parents right (they have had land rover since 2000- very expensive repairs, constant maintenance, has been a huge headache since year 4), or are they just bitter about foreign cars?
    Will I be paying a lot of money for the next 5 years on this car?
    I appreciate any advice- thanks!
  • Options
    sadie28sadie28 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I own a '05 s60 that I bought new. It has 70000 miles on it. I have not had any problems with this car UNTIL recently. In the past 4 months I have had to replace the "steering column module" at a cost of $600 and just recently the "throttle module" at a cost of $1100. From what the dealership said, the trottle module is similar to replacing the carburetor on other cars. I also have had problems since they replaced this module. Supposedly Volvo issued a directive advising some of the "connectors" on the throttle module are defective and I've had to take it back in for repairs (albeit free); still a drain on my time. I was told by the dealership that they've had problems with repairs to some of the throttle modules because "this is uncharted territory." I find that to be a bit worrisome. When the module was going bad the error message I received was "reduced engine performance." It felt as if you were trying to press on the gas while the car is in neutral and you didn't have any power.
    Although I love my car and I no longer have a car payment, I would not recommend buying this model as a used car. Service is expensive even if done outside the dealership. I don't think your parents are bitter - foreign cars are expensive to maintain in general. Hope this helps. Good luck with your decision.