Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Lucerne: Real World MPG

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092

Comments

• aquaknot2000aquaknot2000 Member Posts: 30
    I have a new 2006 Lucerne CXL V8 with about 750 miles on it. I've checked my city mileage twice and both times it was around 14.2 MPG. Haven't had a chance to check it on the highway mileage.
  • loyalbuickfanloyalbuickfan Member Posts: 63
    My Lucerne CX is just a week old with 532 miles on it.

One highway test,(210 miles round trip)used just

7.25 Gal or about 29 MPG,for this full size car!

I will update again as I have

longer trips planned. The best compliment I can give is

that the Buick Lucerne is exceeding my expectations.
  • waynenovotnywaynenovotny Member Posts: 22
    Last weekend we took a trip and on the way home got as high as 33mpg cruising at 60mph. Overall for 450 miles we averaged around 31mpg. Not bad for a full size car!
  • loyalbuickfanloyalbuickfan Member Posts: 63
    We are visiting the gas station LESS often!

Our new Lucerne CX definitely uses Less gas than our old
    1994 Park Ave that had 30 HP. less power !

For a full-size car the highway mileage of 29-30 MPG.
    and city mileage of 20, (or more) exceeds expectations,
    while providing a really quiet and comfortable ride.
  • 76ta76ta Member Posts: 3
    My CXS @70 MPH comes in at 26MPG. I am using 89 octane fuel and would be interested in seeing results using 87 & 93 octane. City mpg varies on who drives the car, between 15 and 18 MPG.
    Just got back from vacation. Today we averaged 67.6mph for 245 miles (all interstate) and the DIC said we averaged 32.3 mpg. Could NOT be happier with the mileage so far!
  • bigunit67bigunit67 Member Posts: 62
    I'm especially curious about those of you that own the Northstar V-8 model.
  • willbodinewillbodine Member Posts: 4
    My 3.8 L CX consistently gets 30 -31 mpg at a cruise-controlled 75-80 mph. I know of no other non-diesel large car that gets this kind of mileage. And the V6 is not in the least underpowered. Smooth and quiet too.
    I agree 100%, I get the same kind of mileage with my CX. Over 500 miles on a tankful in a comfortable full size car is hard to beat.
  • chuck21401chuck21401 Member Posts: 11
    My 2007 CXL with the 3.8 engine shows 22mpg on the drivers information center, but when I do the math by hand I come up with 25mpg. This is with a mix of highway and DC beltway gridlock driving.
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    I'm getting close to this figure in my '06 Lucerne CX with the 3.8L V-6. A recent trip got me 30 mpg at 65 mph on the open road with an average of 27 mpg overall (80% highway driving). I'm very happy with that in a full-size sedan.
  • tf712tf712 Member Posts: 7
    I've been manually keeping track of my mpg since January this year. I commute everday from the outlaying 'burbs of Chicago to downtown (100 miles round trip). With all the construction and traffic backups I'm averaging 22-23 mpg. During the last winter when construction ended I was averaging 24. Haven't taken a real all highway trip yet but I'm curious to see what kind of mileage I'll get.
    I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
  • kcwolfpack59kcwolfpack59 Member Posts: 122
    My CXL V6 gets about 25 on the interstate. I had a 2000 Lesabre Limited with the same drive train. It got 30-31 on the same route driven the same way.
    The car now has 1000 miles and the tire pressure is set right from the beginning. I don't think the engine will loosen up significantly. I know it is a couple of hundred pounds heavier than the old car but is more streamlined to make up for it. I think there is something wrong. I will try again before taking it back to the dealer.
    Phone call to dealer resulted in nothing. They said that since the check engine light did not come on, there should not be a problem, and there were no TSBs, but I can bring the car in.
    Other than that, I am the happiest I have ever been with any new car.
    Any V6 drivers go back to the dealer and get any resolution for better gas mileage?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    Are you resetting the mileage average readout on the DIC when you begin the trip on the interstate? I like to reset just as I get on and then watch to see what it's doing.

What kind off interstate? Hilly? Level?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Going a steady 60-70 on the interstate I get 31-33 mpg so I have no reason to go back to the dealer. (2006 CX)
    Yes, I do reset the DIC as I gas up,{same gas station} about a mile before the interstate. The trip is through Missouri and Arkansas so there are hills. Round trip is 320 miles and it was not windy. I drive conservatively and steadily about 70, the same way I drove the Lesabre.
    The Lucerne has the Energy MX4 Plus Michelin, which I assume are known for low rolling resistance.
  • fdunbarfdunbar Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2007 Lucerne (6 cylinder) with 3800 miles on it. On a recent trip from Florida to Maine I averaged 25.9 mpg. This is pretty poor since I averaged over 30 mpg on my 2003 Buick LeSabre. Overall, in the last 2500 miles, including the trip from Florida to Maine, with more highway driving, I am averaging 24 mpg. Since most is highway driving, I think thew mileage is quite poor. Bet it averages well below 19 in the city.
    Update on mileage.
    I now have 5200 miles on my 2007 Lucerne CXL (6 cylinders). I have reset the mpg indicator for my last 1400 miles of driving. My driving is in a small seaside resort with sometimes heavy traffic and country driving along with some interstate. My overall mileage is now 20.3 mpg. My dealer says that is normal for this car. I am amazed at the mileage some people say they are getting, especially since I never gun the engine.
  • rhbaldrhbald Member Posts: 1
    I'm sorry to say that my 2007 Lucerne CXL (approx 6600 miles) does not get the MPG as posted. I drive in the city for the most part and I'm lucky if I can get more than 17 MPG. My '94 Park Ave and '85 Park Ave, both gave me at least 19 MPG. So I am so disappointed, especially now that gas is so expensive, and I'm careful on the gas petal.
    We get 30+ mpg but that's only on the interstate. Around town we average 20-25. '06 CX, V-6.
  • taraleetaralee Member Posts: 13
    My husband and I love the car, the ride, and all the "Cadillac" amenities that came with it....BUT, From the time I brought my Lucerne CXL 3.8 6 cyl home, I've dealt with bad gas mileage ranging from 16mpg to 22mpg even on the highway. A mechanic friend of mine suggested that I change my existing oil from the factory oil to "full synthetic" oil to see if that would help. It did help, it went up to 29-32 mpg immediately! It rocked on for 6 months doing great, now it has fallen back to 22mpg or less. I have addressed it with the dealership from the git go. I have heard everything from, "it's bad gas" to "every vehicle has a break in period, give it some time." Well I have 15,800 miles on it and still getting bad mileage....I took it in to the dealership last week and they did a computer diagnostic and found no codes whatsoever! They didn't even bother trying other solutions like changing the fuel filter, or checking for a crimped fuel line, they sent it home telling me "if it gets any worse, bring it back." :confuse:
    With 6500 miles, the gas mileage has improved only about 1 MPG since new. I think I will wait until it gets about 8000 on it to start complaining to the dealer more so I don't get the "break in" answer.
    Taralee: which brand and weight of oil did you use to get the mileage to jump? Thanks.
    My wife and I just finished a road trip (1360 miles) around the state (WI) and the DIC said we averaged 30.8 mpg ... doing it long hand (miles traveled divided by gallons of gas purchased) was within a couple tenths of a mpg. I use the basic 5W-30 oil the dealerdship puts in at oil changes. I do put in a bottle of injector cleaner after each oil change, not sure if that helps but I figure it can't hurt.
    Yes, I calculate my mileage the same way. I was advised not to add injector cleaner until the car gets over 35,000 miles on it. We have done some checking with various mechanics and it is their opinion that our problem may lie with the computer chip that regulates the injectors and the timing. There are so many happy Lucerne owners here with great gas mileage that I am almost certain that mine just has a bad chip or a lemon off the assembly line. I will contact Buick this week and post their reply to this problem.
    Castrol Syntec 5W-30 full synthetic. It's expensive but it sure was worth the change for a little while :) I told the mechanics at the dealership what I did, and they had no problem with me changing the brand of oil as long as the oil is the approved weight and specifications dictated in the manual.
  • b88lazerb88lazer Member Posts: 21
    Have averaged 21.1 MPG combined city and highway for the first 6700 miles. Would like to learn of other owners' experiences with this engine.
  • grisbygrisby Member Posts: 2
    I have the CXL with the 4.6 Northstar and combined city and hiway I am getting about 20.8 mpg. I have 5900 miles on it now. I recently took a trip to Fla (I live in PA) and the best tank got me 26.6 mpg with an overall average for the trip of 24mpg.
  • buddiemacbuddiemac Member Posts: 4
    I found with my CXS (V8) that I can achieve 30 - 31 MPG, but there is one catch. I can only obtain this on Highway traveling at 53 MPH! At 55 MPH 29 - 30 MPG.

I would say the Bucik Engineers did not consider gas economy when considering gear ratios. A 6 speed transmission is a must with 100 dollar a barrel oil prices.
    I see the government has posted its new mpg ratings for the 6 cylinder Lucerne as 16 mpg city - 26 mpg highway and combined 20 mpg. Sounds more like what many of us are getting. I do not understand how people are claiming to get over 30 mpg highway and 25 or 26 combined are getting it. I wish I had their luck.
    >A 6 speed transmission is a must with 100 dollar a barrel oil prices.

Actually it's odd you'd say that. More speeds are needed if your motors have little torque at low revolutions. So you add speeds to be able to keep the motor turning at 3000 and up as people accelerate briskly; or you do that to keep the motor reving high upon slight push on the gas pedal demanding acceleration which the motor can't give at 1500-1800 due to low torque. Hence you have the tranny downshift.

Your NorthStar V8 has gobs of torque and performs nicely in most of the 4 gears. Adding a speed might gain a slight fuel economy edge, depending on the test cycle speeds involved. Trouble is most people don't drive like the test cycles used at EPA to garner info about mileage.

My 3800 motor has more than adequate acceleration with a 4 speed transmission. I don't accelerate at full throttle often. The people getting low 20s in everyday driving are probably doing mostly short trips under 10 miles and running on a cold motor often using lots of extra gas because of that. They also may, I said may, accelerate differently than I do from the stop signs every mile and the stop lights. I'm not in a hurry but I usually catch the jackrabbits who accelerate quickly and go within 5 of the speed limit. They don't gain a thing. My one car gives 24 in mixed driving; the older car is giving about 22-20 because of lots of short trips of 4 miles on cold motor.

If you can take you car out on the open interstate and push the reset button on the mileage and show an average of 28 and above while cruising at 65 or so, I'd feel I'm doing great.

Oddly the WunderKar from Honda only has a 5 speed transmission.

• jrodenjroden Member Posts: 8
    If I do an all interstate trip, I'm often close to 30, while regular driving around is around 24. In pure city driving I'm sure the weight of the car would make the MPG suffer a lot. I find the 4 speed just fine with the V6 and it has plenty of power for normal driving. I wonder what these auto writers expect of a car, maybe they get spoiled from driving fast cars every day, how fast do you need to accelerate in normal driving?
    The magazine testers spend their days driving like hotdogs. Many people who are car fanatics and are here on Edmunds (most of us?) don't drive like average drivers.

But for 90% of drivers, the 3800 and 4 speeds are more than adequate.

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    True. It's why so many people choose 4-cyl versions of midsize cars (like I did). While the 4-cyl Accord I chose is faster than the V6 Lucerne, I'd imagine the 3800 Lucerne is plenty to keep you safe, if not great at highway passing.
  • buddiemacbuddiemac Member Posts: 4
    I have notice the sweet spot is 54MPH - close to what you see but I do nt get 31MPH but mor like 28MPH. I once got 29 and change.

I am also surprised that just increasing speed to 55 - 57 MPH a 10 % drop in mileage- not sure why either since lockup converter is engaged a at both speeds.

I be interested in the octane of gas which you got your mileage. Also I hear that the level of ethenol affects mileage.
    I use plain 87 octane with 10% ethanol. I don't WANT to use that junk but I don't have other choice. I have found that my "sweet spot" is between 60 and 65.
  • paradox2paradox2 Member Posts: 8
    According to the Driver Information Center (DIC) my Lucerne is getting an average of 25.0 MPG. My old 2000 LeSabre was getting 28.6, and that was with 160,000 miles on the odometer. Same engine and transmission in both cars.

The Lucerne is a terrible car all around. Thankfully, when I want to drive a smooth, quiet, well made vehicle, I can still take my old LeSabre out as it is now my wifes car.
    Then get rid of the Lucerne. Personally, we love ours. Mileage of 30+ on the highway no problem.
    I've had my Lucerne for a year and a half now. I've had people tell me how happy they are with theirs and what great mileage they get....Personally, I've never gotten over 23 mpg with mine! :mad: There are very few people here that have the problem that you and I do with our Lucernes. It's not the way we drive our cars. It's not the roads. It may be the fuel, but I've tried them all and none seem to make a difference. I changed over to full synthetic oil, I have tried fuel injector cleaners, NOTHING WORKS....I even had the dealership open a service file and they kept my car for 3 weeks trying to remedy the problem. They consulted with Buick (Buick was clueless), they sent it home with no remedy. I believe there are some Lemon Lucernes out there coming off the assembly lines and either Buick doesn't know how to remedy the problem, or won't...Either way, I'll keep the car for awhile longer until I pay the note down, then I'll trade it in.
    >Personally, I've never gotten over 23 mpg with

Telll us about the area where you live as far as the type of driving you do. How close are the stoplights? Are you on the freeway?

What mileage do you get when you take a long drive on a highway without stoplights? When you reset the MPG gauge while you're rolling on an open highway with the car warmed up, what kind of mileage do you get?

I live in a rural area. I always warm the car up before I leave. The closest large town is 40 miles away. I have to travel highway to get anywhere and my town has only one stop light. I went to Oklahoma City 3.5 hours away and to Wichita Falls 4.5 hours away (highway.) The best I ever got was like I said 23 mpg. I don't go by the MPG readout in the car. I divide the gallons by the miles on the odometer when I fuel up to get a true reading. I use premium fuels whenever I fuel up also. I have went as far as stopping other Lucerne owners just to talk to them about their Lucerne...I get the same response every time, " I love my Lucerne, I get 29-32 miles per gallon on trips!" *sigh* Mine's a :lemon: for sure.
  • b88lazerb88lazer Member Posts: 21
    Which engine is in your Lucerne?
    >always warm the car up before I leave

That takes additional fuel and is not recommended. Let the car idle for 10-15 seconds while you get things organized, then gentle start driving.

Use the fuel recommende for the car. I believe regular is recommended for both the 3800 and Northstar. If you've

The dealership recommended that I warm the car up for 5-10 minutes on cold mornings so I do. They said it would use more fuel if I didn't. I have a 3.8 V-6... I use the recommended octane fuel which is 87 (or higher) as specified in the manual...I was told to use "high tier fuels" for example go fill up at Conoco or Shell instead of Love's or some other little convenience store with low grade fuel....
    3.8L V-6
    The dealership said to warm it up for 5-10 minutes?? I've never heard of that. My dealer said just the opposite. They said let it run for 30 seconds or so (on real cold mornings ... I live in WI) then drive away slowly. The engine warms up faster driving it than idling.
    I don't know either way.
    All they told me is that oil when it's cold is thick, and requires a warm up in order to lubricate moving parts more efficiently. Driving it cold makes the oil pump move thick oil slower to moving parts, therefore causing friction and wear. :confuse:
  • hjw1hjw1 Member Posts: 17
    What is your tire pressure?

Buick's recommended tire pressure on the Lucerne is in the 30 - 32 pound neighborhood IIRC. The maximum tire pressure printed on our tires is 44#. We run ours at around 37 as a compromise between greater rolling resistance at 32, and harsh ride at 44.

I know, "follow the manufacturers tire pressure recommendations", but at the lower tire pressure, your mileage and tire life will be lower than at at a slightly higher pressure.
    That pressure on the sidewall is meant as a testing guideline for maximum load. You car is not loading the tire to maximum in any way shape or form.

You should take the recommended pressure from the manufacturer and add a FEW pounds. I would keep it 35 or less. Myself I run at 33 typically on my Buicks which have a door sticker at 30. I have Michellin tires on both cars.

Unless you're talking 0 and below (Fahrenheit) in Oklahoma City area I believe you said you live in, You only need to run it for a short part of a minute and then gently let it ease itself on down the road. It will warm up better that way. It's better for the motor overall.

If you are particularly cold in the winter you want to put in 5W-30 oil for that oil chagne in Nov. Dec. and then switch to 10W-30 when you change your oil in the spring and have the heavier oil for summer. If your car is garaged you can do as I do in W. Ohio and use 10W-30 all the time. My car rarely sits outside where it's extra cold to be very cold for a start.