Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Honda CR-V

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
edited July 2014 in Honda
There's a lot of talk about the new CR-V and the spy shots. Here's the place to chat about it.

We're going to move some threads over from the CR-V discussion to help seed this one, so some of the initial posts may wind up out of sequence.

Steve, Host

Comments

• stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    They are claiming it will be larger, due to being 3 inches wider and about the same length. This one was caught in Europe, and I suspect that the US model will again have those ugly black plastic bumpers instead of painted ones as depicted here.

I can't imagine why Honda does this for the first couple of years when introducing a new CR-V.

• lirlir Member Posts: 81
    Looks like a mini hearse to me.
    "Looks like a mini hearse to me."

LOL, but the "hearse like" Landau emblems on the back window are actually tape and not part of the vehicle.
    Was it similar to the pix I posted in #15888?

stevedebi, "Honda CR-V" #15889, 21 Jun 2006 3:44 pm
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Leather right out of the starting gates is a first. In the past, didn't they wait until the 3rd year of the design to come out witn an SE package?

I guess since the RDX has a turbo engine, they don't have to worry about them overlapping too much.

-juice
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    The vehicle in that photo is the Euro CR-V. Enlarge it, look closely, and you'll see that it has the wide license plate holder and "nubs" for headlight washers. It also lacks a moonroof (despite being pretty much loaded) and has chrome door handles. It ain't comin' here.

Otherwise, it's pretty much the same thing we are getting.

The reason why that pic looks so much better than the white CR-V is mostly optical illusion. The vehicle has a better disguise over the grill, making it look more like the Pilot. And the vehicle is back lit, which puts the nose in shadow.

If you read what Miamicrv1 is writing, his description is exactly what we've seen before.

"the bumper had these evenly spaced bulges throughout."

These can be seen clearly - poking up from under the plastic in the photo below. (Note, they also appear on the panel below the doors.)

"...the metal portion of the hood coming over the edge and surrounding the very prominent logo."

Which can be seen under the plastic, as well. This forms the upper half of the infamous "double grill" so many people hate.

Miami's comments about the roof line and other exterior features also match up with what we've seen before.

"Leather right out of the starting gates is a first. In the past, didn't they wait until the 3rd year of the design to come out witn an SE package?"

Canada originally got an LE trim, which was more or less the same as our SE. They never had to wait for it. With the second generation, they got an EX-L model (EX with leather) which also included painted bumpers, IIRC.

Here in the US, the CR-V will follow a model pattern similar to the Pilot.

LX - Base model
    EX - Alloys, sunroof, stereo upgrade, etc.
    EX-L - Adds leather and painted bumpers
    EX-L NAV - Adds Navigation and maybe a few other technology-related features.

Here are some of the rumored content changes...

"The 2007 CR-V on the 3rd generation will have the following features which were not available on the 2nd generation: Telescopic Steering Wheel, Bi-Level Digital Readout Instrument Panel, Center Console with: Floor Shifter, Extra Large Storage Compartment and Cupholders, Variable Intermittent Windshield Wipers, Automatic Climate Control System on EX and EX-L and Daytime Running Lights!!! This info comes from a Dealership Pre-Order Fact Sheet!!! Enjoy!!! " - Bluewho
    That's a lot of changes.

Floor shifter means no more walk-through.

Telescoping wheel is new, and rare in this class.

NAV is new to this class, RAV4 doesn't have it yet, I'm not sure any economical compact SUV does. Mazda5 is the closest thing I can think of that offers NAV.

Bi-level instruments - is that like the Civic's?

Auto climate - uh-oh, HAL strikes again. The Subaru folks hate it. Maybe they'll design it better.

-juice
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    What about that shelf makes it useless? I have heard it's a little flimsy but haven't had a chance to play with one yet.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Auto climate - uh-oh, HAL strikes again. The Subaru folks hate it. Maybe they'll design it better.

juice - the Honda auto systems I've used have been great - truly set and forget.
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    A contributor to another forum thought he saw an undisguised CR-V (2007) on the road between Vancouver & Whistler BC.
    Alas, again no pix. It certainly seems like Honda may be doing a ride & drive for journalists (or Honda dealers) in the Vancouver/Whistler area. Folks in those parts, keep your cameras handy!
    pix disappeared off the original links but someone on the autoweek forum must have grabbed them first, 'cause they're up on that forum now. couple of front shots + one rear...not great quality but you get the idea. vehicle apparently was shot in Vancouver but it had California plates.
    Saw the a, b, and c pictures, they look undisguised, too.

That front it gonna take some getting used to. And I'm being nice. ;)

The tails actually look good, but the rear window is really raked and gives up space, plus the window is very high so rear visibility might be worse than the old model, even though the spare moved out of the way. Why? :confuse:

-juice
    Someone at TOV mentioned that it looks like Forrest Gump's army buddy Bubba.

I like the profile and rear views, but the nose is exactly what I was expecting. And it looks hideous. The nicest thing I can say is that the chrome strip almost takes your attention away from the whale shark's maw underneath it.

Juice, I'm not so sure the rear window is higher. I think the roof line at the rear is lower, which makes it seem proportionally higher. But in reality it's about the same.
    The new CR-V, sponsored by....

;)

-juice
    ...though I'll wait for better pix to make a final judgement. Think it would look better with a blacked-out 'smiley' part. Also not crazy about the 'protuberance' below the 'smile'....looks like it sticks out more than the 'euro' version we saw earlier. Side & back look ok. The roofline doesn't slope as much as the side window profile would have you believe. As a whole though, it lacks the cohesiveness of Hyundai's new Santa Fe or Mitsubishi's new Outlander, for example.
  • kwhkwh Member Posts: 68
    when some of the long time knowledgable posters are saying it does not look good and sales will go down. I was going to trade my wife's 2004 CRV for a new one but if it looks as bas as I hear I will look at CX-7, RAv4, Outlander, or a really good deal on a 2006 CRV instead.

I can't find the pictures on Autoweek. If anybody gets some pictures please post them. With all the new competition now I am surprised Honda did not come up with a nice looking new model.
    Not sure we're allowed to link directly here, but if you go to autoweek and then look under "combustion chamber" and then under "future sheetmetal", you'll find a thread for the 2007 CRV......pics are on the 2nd page.
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    Good pictures! First ones totally uncamoflaged!

Typically whenever a model changes people complain because it's different. I think it looks fine and will sell very well.
  • kwhkwh Member Posts: 68
    Thanks for the pictures. The front end looks like it been in a wreck and the car was smashed into three pieces and they are driving it to a body shop to smooth it out. I really cannot imagine who could have come up with such a strange design. High school freshmen could design a better looking front end - well, anybody would be hard pressed to make something that looks worse -and I am a Honda fan - I have purchased 8 new Hondas starting in 1982 and was going to get a 2007 until I saw this. This is just very bizarre to me. Front end looks like the back of the Aztec.
    Not true. I was fine with the look of the second generation CR-V. I'm happy with the styling of the current TL and the spy pics we've seen of the MDX. I own (or have owned) copies of the previous model for each of them.

My reaction has nothing to do with this model being something different. This CR-V turns my stomach. The front facade is an example of bad styling.
    ...about 6 different designers worked on this thing. One for the back, one for the sides and 4 different designers worked on the front. And the ones that worked on the front were the ones Subaru fired after coming up with the B9 Tribeca monstrosity. This thing better have some surprise and delight features up it's sleeve, 'cause in the looks department, it can't hold a candle to anything out there (save for the Ssangyong 'creations').
  • miamicrv1miamicrv1 Member Posts: 66
    That's it!....though I have to say, it looks much better in metallic blue and in person. The pictures looses some of the interplay of the concave and convex surfaces especially in the rear
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    Geesh, you really feel this way? I really don't get that excited one way or the other over a vehicle. "Turns my stomach" seems pretty severe. I'd use that term to describe my feelings about a terrorist or some other atrocity but a car?? Perspective.

Whatever, it will sell.
    Those are the same a, b, and c pics that were on the Autoweek site except bigger and more clear.

I'm surprised, but the D-pillar actually looks better than I expected. I don't mind it like I thought it would. It doesn't look saggy like some of the sketches did early on. It actually reminds me of the Infiniti FX, and I'm sure Honda doesn't mind that at all.

The front looks wrecked, literally. It looks like the front broke in half and the two halves are separated by that wide opening.

Or, perhaps you could say it looks like the hood is not closed all the way, but that's a huge gap.

The way the front bumper comes up to meet the headlight (sharp, straight) does not match with the way the grille dips down in to the grille (soft, rounded).

It does create a smiley face, perhaps they're targeting women and thought that demographic would find it "cute". The shape reminds me a bit of the Fast character from the VW GTI.

-juice
  • sky23213sky23213 Member Posts: 300
    Will take a looooooong time getting used to... politely said. Long time, maybe until the next redesign.
    I think a simple face-lift could make it look a whole lot better. Streamline the bumper that'll fix it, very easy.

A face-lift can do it, I'm sure. The profile and rear view look fine.

-juice
  • prosource1prosource1 Member Posts: 234
    I recall the rather heated criticism Hyundai rec'd when it designed their 2nd Generation Elantra wagon with a similar rounded 'C' pillar. It was termed 'awkward'.
    Honda is borrowing heavily from the Pilot for the front end of the new CR-V.
    In a wagon it's a D-pillar, because there is an extra window behind the rear door. Ableit a very small one in this case.

-juice
    "Geesh, you really feel this way? I really don't get that excited one way or the other over a vehicle. "Turns my stomach" seems pretty severe. I'd use that term to describe my feelings about a terrorist or some other atrocity but a car?? Perspective."

This is an automotive forum... essentially, a silly place.

I think it's fair to assume anything written here may be taken from that perspective.

But, to answer your question, yes, the design of the front clip is one of the worst I've seen. I'd put it on par with the Tribeca, though not quite as bad as the Aztek. Pick whatever words you associate with strong dislike, enmity, distaste, disgust, or aversion and you've got something close to my opinion on the subject.
  • yysyysyysyys Member Posts: 51
    The 2007 CR-V on the 3rd generation will have the following features which were not available on the 2nd generation: Telescopic Steering Wheel, Bi-Level Digital Readout Instrument Panel, Center Console with: Floor Shifter, Extra Large Storage Compartment and Cupholders, Variable Intermitent Windshield Wipers, Automatic Climate Control System on EX and EX-L and Daytime Running Lights!!! This info comes from a Dealership Pre-Order Fact Sheet!!! Enjoy!!! :)
    The crescent-shaped rear window is a styling cue Honda has been using on other markets for years. The Stream is a good example of an early application.

Personally, I don't have a problem with it. The few times I've been looking out the rear quarter window, I was looking for something near the ground. (Like checking a blind spot for another vehicle.) This window will still allow for that. Only the top portion is blocked. I don't prefer this design. But I don't have a real problem with it, either.

The grill is also something we've seen on JDM cars. Here it is on the Stepwgn.

This part I mind.
    The Stepwgn actually looks a tad better because at least the chrome strip divides the top half from the bottom. It's disjointed, sure, but it doesn't look misaligned.

I'm not predicting the same drop as varmint, but I do think sales will drop slightly and the RAV4 is going to pick up most of the slack. The Sante Fe and Outlander might pick up a few sales, too.

-juice
    I think I predicted a drop to 55% overall, right?

That would be something like 100-120K units for the 2007 model. Some people will buy it because of the H on the hood. Some will like it for all the strong qualities I'm sure it will have. But it will lose customers due to the styling and smaller interior. It will sell at MSRP for about 2-4 months, then they'll start dealing on them (like the Ridgeline).

For the 2008 MY, it'll probably sell 80-90K units. The newness will have worn off. Significant incentives will be available. Honda will cut production back.

By 2009, it'll be on life support. Most of the competitors will be new and improved. Anything good that the CR-V brings in 2007 will have been copied by others. Maybe 70K units sold this year.

2010 will see a mid-model redesign. Extra content and styling fixes will be put in place. Incentives will remain. That'll earn a few buyers despite the vehicle's age. Figure about 60-70K units for 2010.

2011 will see another 60-70K units as we anxiously await a redesign and dealers try to get this one off their lots once and for all.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Wow varmint - I think it'll hurt sales but not by that much.

The good thing is the 2010 will probably see a new snout.

I've warmed up the the Tribeca because at least the styling cues flow together. Nothing flows at the nose of the CRV.

Where's Bob for his critique??
    I keep looking at it, thinking there must be some kind of mistake...something wrong with that guy's camera, like it's introducing some kind of "fun-house-mirror" distortion or something. I don't see the same kind of fat lip on the Euro-version spy pic or even the camouflaged ones. Speaking of which, maybe Honda would be wise to permanently cover that front end with camouflage.
    The new CR-V will have styling along the lines of it's corporate siblings. You don't like it. Seems like it may be time for you to find another automaker to follow since future vehicles will probably have the same design cues.
    Significant incentives will be available. Honda will cut production back.

By 2009, it'll be on life support.

Usually I respect your posts. This time I think your way off on this one. I guess it may depend on the definition of "significant".

Since you seem to be in to predictions. How about something of value. Do you have the winning lottery numbers for this weekend?? ;)

I'll be bookmarking this one. Will love to see the varmint eat his words.
  • phisherphisher Member Posts: 175
    That rear side window looks terrible. I guess there taking a page out of toyotas FJ cruiser manual. Make it look OK but then create a huge blind spot. Driving the FJ is like driving with a trailer. You need extra side mirrors just to cover all the blind spots. Maybe honda wanted to test the side airbags in real world conditions. :confuse: It makes me glad I bought a 2006 instead of waiting.
  • saabgirlsaabgirl Member Posts: 184
    The front looks like it was designed by a commitee that had at least a couple of members too many with voting rights.

I never liked to drive a car with a Jay Leno bumper, especially in mall parking lots.

CR-V styling seems to have slipped over into mini-van territory. Women buyers may prefer this look to the less styled look of the predecessor. There's something about it that says, "This vehicle is used to drive kids to soccer practice."

Maybe it will look better in person. But right now I prefer the look of my '05. Yes, I know it's all personal preference.
  • saabgirlsaabgirl Member Posts: 184
    P.S. Hey!! It doesn't look like the rear window flips open in the '07 iteration. Bummer. The opening hatch and accessible tie downs's were features that helped bring the CR-V to the top of my short list back in '05.
    I'm so very sorry you no longer respect my opinions. Apparently, I'm only correct when writing positive reviews of Honda products. :confuse:

No vehicle with an ugly front end has averaged more than 60-70K units in this segment.

No small SUV short on cargo and passenger space has averaged more than 60-70K sales.

This CR-V is ugly. All rumors (until moments ago) stated that it lacked cargo space. With those two strikes against it, why would I think this CR-V is going to be a success? Blind loyalty to the brand? Sorry. I like Hondas because I think they make good products, not because I have some need to be a fanboy of one brand.

Having said all that... I just read some good news from a reliable source. For the past few weeks, we've been reading rumors about the interior specs of the CR-V. The number for cargo space was listed as a measly 61 cu.ft. Other statements from that source seemed credible, and that number pretty well matches the number for the RDX (which we know is similar). However, another proven source is stating that figure is incorrect. They are claiming this new CR-V has not lost a significant amount of cargo space.

If this new rumor is true, then the new CR-V hasn't gone the way of the old RAV4 and Forester. It has only one strike against it, not two. And (if this new rumor is true) it should do much better than my forecast from earlier today.

As a side note, the source who is supposedly incorrect about the cargo space is the same one who provided the information about the telescopic wheel, intermittent wipers, center console, and other interior features. So, now those details are suspect, as well.
  • accordmqaccordmq Member Posts: 25
    Much better and clearer photos at the links below. I really hoped the new CRV would have the same front end and rear side windows as the new Stream (which is really beautiful).
    http://07hondacrv.myphotoalbum.com/view_photo.php?full=1&set_albumName=album01&i- d=IMG_0267
    http://07hondacrv.myphotoalbum.com/view_photo.php?full=1&set_albumName=album01&i- d=IMG_0266
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    Those are good pictures...

No external spare.. It has a do-nut spare, right?

I wonder how much that front end has to do with new Euro pedestrian safety regulations?

Also, it seems the front end is less offensive in colors other than white...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Nothing like a pair of high res pix and an attractive body colour to make me flipflop on my opinion of the new CR-V.
    Although the front is still a bit busy for my liking, in those shots, the new CR-V actually looks pretty good. I'm wondering about the bulge in the tailgate now...would they mount the donut internally on the inside of the hatch? Or are they trying to eek out a bit more cargo space (as referenced by varmint)...or trying to accomodate a third row? Now I see why miamicrv1 was impressed.
    Nice! It looks like they made little vortex generators on the sides of the mirrors. Those help with wind noise for anyone not familiar with them.

It looks like there are pop-out panels on the rear of the roof rails where a rack footing might be installed.

The design of the rear glass does not look like it opens.

The tires appear to be Dueler H/Ts.

Wish we could see more of the interior, but those shots are the best to date. Thanks.
    hey varmint....you've been around here longer than drive62
    (and longer than alot of the rest of us as well!)... I wouldn't question your opinion....+ it's a free country, right? anyway, good to hear your source is more positive on the cargo space. Any possibility of a third row, or am I just dreaming? I know most reports to date have said it will strictly be a 5 seater.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Regarding the upcoming CRV: Well, two things I don't like so far...

• The bottom of the rear liftgate is right at the very edge of the rear bumper, so expect damage even with a slight rear-ender.

• I suspect that since there is no door-mounted spare, that it will get a temp spare tire, and it will reside in the under the floor storage compartment. So you will lose that nifty storage area.

As to styling, it looks better than the masked photos were showing.

Bob
This discussion has been closed.