Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Honda CR-V

Comments

• phisherphisher Member Posts: 175
    Not sure about the 2007 but I have an 06 and replaced the tires with goodyear triple tread comfort tread. Reduced about 60% of the road noise. I also live in Minnesota so snow is an issue and the 3X tread work great in the snow and ice. Also check out tirerack.com and see what people say about the different tires. I would not choose to get the tires replaced at the dealership. A place like discount tire were quite a bit cheaper than the dealership and might have a rebate on the tires you want to get.
  • marig0107marig0107 Member Posts: 92
    I finally got the car in to do the rear differential fluid and have them run a fluid check. All is well, no more barge-like sounds coming from the rear. The Honda guys were so cool. They didn't charge me this time around. I know next time I will but it'll be more in line with standard maintenance rather than on the early side.

New tires still going strong! No nails in em, of course ;) Don't you love warranties!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    If you feel up to doing this yourself next time, changing rear diff fluid is easier than an oil change. You remove the top bolt, then the bottom bolt, and let it drain. Replace the lower bolt, add a quart of 75w90 gear oil, replace the top bolt.

It's actually slightly easier than an oil change because there's no filter to deal with.

You may need an oil pump to get the oil to flow *up* into the diff, but that's about the only challenge.

Here is a step-by-step pictorial for the job on a Miata. Diffs are fairly similar so I bet it's pretty much the same:

http://www.miata.net/garage/trans/13.htm
  • kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    > Replace the lower bolt, add a quart of 75w90 gear oil, replace the top bolt.

Do you also need to add limited slip type additive?
    Is it even a limited-slip diff? I thought it was open. :confuse:
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,211
    I think Honda requires you to use their special dual-pump fluid, rather than a generic gear oil..

Since the rear diff is a trouble spot for CR-Vs, I'd be inclined to follow the recommendation...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

In that case I'd agree...

That should not make the process any more difficult, at least. Just get the right fluids.
  • kay_jaykay_jay Member Posts: 33
    When I start the 2007 CRV LX (2x2), I am getting dense white smoke, which subsides after I drive and when I stop again at lights, I can see the white smoke again. Offcourse the San Francisco weather is cold, but I am watching other vehicles back, I don't see that dense fog. Is it unusual? I just did the 24000 miles service (currently I have 25000 miles app).
  • kay_jaykay_jay Member Posts: 33
    When I got the Honda CRV, the sticker (which I still have) says city - 28 mpg and highway - 31 mpg. I use 2/3 rd of my work route in highway. I wasn't checking the mpg until very recently and now I am worried. Is it normal to average 22 mpg for a 2007 CRV 2x2 LX? Pls advise.
  • kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    Official EPA estimates for the 07 FWD (2 wheel drive) CR-V are city 20 and highway 27 with a combined mileage of 23.

Your sticker should reflect that in the large black letters. The smaller "scale" is for the extremes of all small SUV type vehicles, is my understanding.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do?action=browseList2&make=Honda&model=CR-V%2- 02WD
  • tkay2tkay2 Member Posts: 51
    Any suggestions on alternative tires for my 07 CRV. These Oe tires seem to have p[plenty of road noise..
  • cconwillcconwill Member Posts: 14
    I replaced my OE tires with Goodyear Fortera Tripletreds. I immediately noticed the improvement in traction on our gravel road where I have to park on an incline to open the gate. The original tires would always spin when I started up again. The Forteras also performed well in the unusual snow we had in the Northwest last Christmas, when many roads were unplowed. We like these tires so much that we put them on our Toyota Highlander as well.
    Thanks C.C. for the info. How was the road noise? What are talking about $$$.. and who handles this make.? Thanks again!
  • dtstofdtstof Member Posts: 61
    I just replaced my front tires with Michelin Latitude Tour. Their claim: "Our quietest, most comfortable ride". I'll replace the rear when the wear bars show, which will be soon, at 19,500. Bridgestones are terrible!
    That is the tire I am looking at. Was thinking about Michelin LX Energy (reviews were not very good) What kind of $$$$ are we looking at. Another tire I will also look at is the Goodyear Fortera Tripletred . Both tires rated well (Tire Rack)
  • dtstofdtstof Member Posts: 61
    $164 for each tire at Discount Tire. Total cost for two was $439.82, replacement certificate,environmental fee,waste disposal fee, mounting,balancing and lifetime rotation and repairs.
  • cconwillcconwill Member Posts: 14
    The road noise was not an issue with my oem tires which were Continentals, and I did not notice the noise getting any worse with the Triple-Treds. The CR-V itself is not as quiet as our Highlander with the same tires, so I attribute any noise to the car, not the tires.

The price on the Triple-Treds was $199 each plus balancing, etc for a total of $847.
    I got them at a chain called Tire Factory, but Goodyears are everywhere and if you call around you may find promotions.
  • yankeefan2yankeefan2 Member Posts: 53
    go to Honda CRV tires, wheels & Sencors 250 of 275. I bought my triple treds at Sam's Club. I really like them.
  • jacksy3jacksy3 Member Posts: 14
    Our A/C stopped working so we took it in to the dealer. They are saying that a rock flew through the grill and punctured the unit and therefore it is not covered under warranty. Has anyone else had this problem with their 07 CR-V?
    They asked us 3 times before we even brought the car in if we had been in an accident or had any rocks hit our car and we told her no. I suppose there is a chance that a rock flew in between the grill w/o hitting anything and punctured the a/c.
  • richk6richk6 Member Posts: 87
    Has the dealer shown you the puncture damage on the A/C condenser? If so, then a rock probably caused the damage. The bumper opening in front of the condenser is large and has little protection.

Personally I installed a Cloud-Rider bumper screen in the opening to protect the condenser.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Puncture damage would do it.

But check out the Honda CR-V AC Compressor Issues discussion as well.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Our A/C stopped working so we took it in to the dealer. They are saying that a rock flew through the grill and punctured the unit and therefore it is not covered under warranty. Has anyone else had this problem with their 07 CR-V?

Had that happen to the 2002 Civic Si. Was on the highway going behind someone through construction zone. He must have kicked up something, because A/C died fast, and soon the temperature gauge went up. A 10 inch construction screw went through both. Had to leave the car in the parking lot while gathering parts. Replaced parts myself for next to nothing (Rad was $200 from the online dealer, condenser was about the same).

Had the dealer evacuate and charge the A/C system.

If your radiator is punctured, make sure you refill it with Honda Type 2 coolant, it is BLUE.
    Thanks for the info.

The radiator is not punctured. I haven't looked at it yet but I was told you can see the condenser right thru the radiator. There is some lawsuit against Honda in regards to design defect in regards to the A/C. I contacted the firm. I plan on changing the condenser myself since the dealer wants close to $1000.00.
    Thanks for the info.

The radiator is not punctured. I haven't looked at it yet but I was told you can see the condenser right thru the radiator. There is some lawsuit against Honda in regards to design defect in regards to the A/C. I contacted the firm. I plan on changing the condenser myself since the dealer wants close to $1000.00.

There is no law suit. A greedy lawer wants to make money.

Last law suit against honda netted the law firm $10,000,000 in fees, and customers got 600 mile adjustment to their warranty coverage.

The proposed law suit is for compressors failing on 2% of Japan built CR-V's made between 2002-2004. Your vehicle does not fall under that because it is newer, and you have physical damage to the condenser.

Don't feed the lawyer pigs!
    Thanks for the info. I read on another site that the Odyssey are having the same issue with road damage to condensers. What a racket. I wonder if there is something I can put on it or a different grill i can get help reduce the chance of another puncture.
  • richk6richk6 Member Posts: 87
    If you read post #2817 which in part answered your question about a different grill for protection. Here are picturesof my Cloud-Rider screen that protects the condenser.
    You can buy a different grille insert like RichK's, or just buy "honeycomb" mesh at Lowes or home depot and mount it in the grille openning.
    I'll look into that. Thanks.
  • slowpitch8slowpitch8 Member Posts: 1
    Considering a used 2007 CRV AWD with about 40,000 miles. Are there any major problems that I should know about. There seems to be a lot of discussion about tire wear and rear differential issues. Please give me your opinions....both good and bad. We don't buy or trade often, so I'd like it to last. Anyone over 100K on one of these yet?
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    My '07 model has been bullet proof. The rear differential fluid was changed and gears burnished under warranty. Since then, no problem. But I think one needs to change the fluid more often than factory rec--30K seems about right.

Its wheelbase is short, which makes for easy in-town handling but the ride can get choppy on poor roads at freeway speeds. I find the 4-cyl engine fine for my driving style, but no one will confuse this with a powerful car.

It's comfortable, hauls stuff that didn't fit in my previous car, consistently delivers 23-24 mpg city and 27-28 mpg hwy mileage, but I'm not a lead foot. I should note that mileage sags noticeably above 70 mph. In short, I'd buy the car again. It's been Honda reliable.

Oh, I forgot, the carpets are junk. I mean it. They do not wear well. But that's the worst thing I can say about the CR-V. Good luck.
  • marig0107marig0107 Member Posts: 92
    I had routine work done on my Honda CVR 4WD Nav. 36000 brakes, wipers, oil change, rear diff, tranny flush. I have my car back and it's smooth. But now I noticed, especially in school zone going 20 mph that I feel a jolt as it bumps into gear. Of course, foot a little unsteady so going 20-22 and I felt repetitive jolts.

I took it in to make sure it's not leaking fluid from transmission and it's not. My appt is monday. Curious as to what they might have done in error to cause it to do that. help.... thanks in advance :)
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    Very often after a transmission fluid change, the transmission will shift a little rough for a few hundred miles until the fluid breaks in.
    Replaced tires on my CRV EX after 38K (they were the OE tires continental contac ???) needless to say I was surprised. Did put on 4 latitude tour and you can feel and hear the difference,
  • serranotserranot Member Posts: 113
    ?? This is a new one.
  • tom017tom017 Member Posts: 16
    I've got a 2007 CR-V with 21,000 miles. It's been EXTREMELY reliable. It never got me stuck. I've had the least amount of problems with this car than any other car I've owned, but I've had a few minor problems that shouldn't have happened.

First off, at 10,000 miles, the rear differential started giving me the grinding and vibrating noises. There's a known service bulletin about it. This problem is starting to become famous. I even read about it in the newspaper. I read on the web that the first 35,000 built off the line that year had inferior fluid in the differential that the viscosity broke down around 10,000 miles--OOOPS!! The dealer changed the fluid under warranty and I haven't had the problem again.

The second problem--again fluid related. Around 18,000 miles, the power steering wouldn't work on the first turn or two when I started it cold overnight. The dealer said the power steering fluid broke down and wore out. They drained the system and refilled it. The steering is perfectly fine now.

Every mechanic I talked to said these fluids should be lasting a lot longer than they are. Hey Honda--listen up--you're using some cheap fluids that break down before normal recommended maintenance. This isn't the famed Honda quality reputation!!

The third problem isn't mechanical related but Honda originally equips the CR-V's with tires that have a tendancy to wear out around 25,000 miles. My sister's CR-V's Bridgestone Duelers were shot at 23,000. She replaced hers with Michelins. A lady I work with has a 2006 that had Bridgestones and her tires were balder than Telly Savalas at 20,000. She replaced hers with Goodyears. At 21,000 miles, my Continentals are looking like Yul Brynner. I'll be replacing them by this summer. Since they're 17-inch tires, they cost between $150 and $200 each. The way these tires are worn out, it's just bad advertisement for Continental and Bridgestone tires. I won't buy them.

I have the 4WD and get around 20-25 city and 30 highway. When it snows heavily and cars are spinning off the road, I'm slowly plugging away straight ahead. You can't beat it.

If you're looking at a 2007 CR-V with 40,000 miles, if it has all the fluids changed and the tires replaced, you'll have a very good car on your hands that should last until 100,000 miles when the timing belt needs replaced--unless that wears out sooner than expected, too--LOL!!
    Our tires wore out at 21k miles. At 32k miles we experienced the grinding noise only when turning the steering wheel to park or around our cul-de-sac. Honda changed the rear differential oil and told us it was a problem. Hopefully they filled it with better fluid!

The only other problem we had was after a year and a half of buying it brand new, the A/C went out and the dealer we purchased the car from told us a rock had hit the A/C condenser and it leaked out and it would cost us $980 to replace. I did some research and found this is a common problem with Honda's in general. We raised a stink but the dealer wouldn't budge so we took the car to another Honda Dealer. They were able to talk to a Honda warranty rep in town and he gave them the part free and we split the installation cost of it with the dealer. So we had to pay less than $100. Need less to say we now go to this dealer :-)

Other that that we have been happy with our car and won't be getting rid of it for a long time.
    If you're looking at a 2007 CR-V with 40,000 miles, if it has all the fluids changed and the tires replaced, you'll have a very good car on your hands that should last until 100,000 miles when the timing belt needs replaced--unless that wears out sooner than expected, too--LOL!!

Starting with Gen 2 CR-V, there is no timing belt. Timing chain is considered a lifetime item. Some will argue that it needs regular replacement, but there is no published data.

Fluids, regardless of the design will need to be replaced. I don't see too many people complaining baout having to change engine oil on the regular basis.

I am in Buffalo, so I know my AWD unit gets a good work out. I just replace the Differentail fluid every summer, along with manual transmission fluid.

Brake and Power Steering fluids should replaced every 3 years, and coolant every 5.

Just like underwear should be replaced daily. I don't see too many people complaining about the "inferior" design here. :shades:
  • rbastrirerbastrire Member Posts: 1
    I would like to know if anyone has or knows about towing a 2007 CR-V behind a motor home.....I really can't find any info on this subject. Any information would be apprecitated..
    edited February 2010
    page 250 of your car manual
    Not everyone has an owner's manual. What does it say?
    By orders of Steve.

Towing Your Vehicle Behind A Motorhome

Your vehicle can be towed behind a motor home at legal highway speeds up to 65 mph (100 km/h). Do not exceed 65 mph (100 km/h) otherwise , severe transmission damage will occur. To avoid damage to the 4WD system, Your vehicle must be towed with all four wheels on the ground (Flat towing).

When Purchasing a tow bar, Make sure you select a reputable manufacturer and installer. Follow the Manufacturer's attachment instruction carefully.

Perform the following procedure every day immediately before you begin towing. Otherwise severe automatic transmission damage will occur.

1) Check the Transmission Fluid 2) Start the Engine 3) Press on the brake pedal. Move the shift lever through all its position. 4) Shift to D, then N. Let the engine run for 3 minutes, then turn off. 5) Release the parking brake 6) Leave the ignition switch in the ACCESSORY (I) position so the steering wheel does not lock. Make sure the radio and any items plugged into the accessory power sockets are turned off so you do not run down the battery.

When you stop towing your vehicle and shift out of the Neutral position, you may not be able to move the shift lever form neutral to reverse or Park. If this happens, press the brake pedal and turn the ignition switch to the ON (II) position, then shift out of Neutral.

Extended Towing: If you tow more than 8 hr in one day, you MUST repeat the above procedures at LEAST EVERY 8 HRS.

When towing your vehicle for long period, remove the 7.5 A accessory Radio fuse to reduce drain on the battery. This fuse is located in the interior fuse box and is shown as # 34.

Only remove the fuse after you have performed the transmission shifting procedure, and the key is in the ACCESSORY (I) position. Remember to reinstall the fuse before driving the vehicle.

If you tow a CR-V behind a mortorhome, the transmission fluid must be changed every 2 Yrs or 30,000 miles which every come first.
    :D
  • nat2001emnat2001em Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2007 CRV last fall and have noticed for the past several months that I am getting shocked when I get out of the car. This is happening to my family too so I know it isn't just me. This is our first SUV so I don't know if it is a problem with a SUV or just the CRV. I have a friend who leased a CRV and they had the same issue. She ended up getting the Odessy after a few short months. Please help because this is my only complaint about the car.
    I bought a 2007 CRV last fall and have noticed for the past several months that I am getting shocked when I get out of the car. This is happening to my family too so I know it isn't just me. This is our first SUV so I don't know if it is a problem with a SUV or just the CRV. I have a friend who leased a CRV and they had the same issue. She ended up getting the Odessy after a few short months. Please help because this is my only complaint about the car.

Th combination of seat materials, clothes, shoes and dryer weather generate more static.

I notice that if I wear sneakers I get shocked more than if I wore leather shoes (leather soles). Also, depends on what sweater I wear. Wool sweater generates the most static, while cotton thermal does not generate much at all.
  • eeshwareeshwar Member Posts: 2
    My Honda CRV has 30000 miles and its tires need to be changed. TPMS indicator is getting displayed on the dash board.

I need help with the following questions.

(# Tire Size: 225/65R17 102T )

1. Can some one recommend a good brand ?

2. If I go to Costco and ask them to install tires, what happens to old tires sensors? Do I need to get new sensors for these tires so that TPMS works well with the new tires or do they take from old tires and put them on the new ones?

3. Or is it a good idea to get the new tires at the dealer?
  • loomisbloomisb Member Posts: 2
    I have only a few complaints really about the CRV that I own,
    one is tthe windows , they are so thin that if they are down at a certain level vibrate so bad that it feels like you eardrums are going to burst,,,,,, this happens on my friends toyota also so guess they are probably all getting them from China.....second is that if you have the plain model as I do, that the windshield wipers never really stay defrosted because the defroster doesn't go down far enough into the pocket where the windshield wipers are stored.... not so good here in upstate N.Y, and AHHHHHHH the wonderful piece of c#$p tires......It is not easy to find tires to fit the CRV,especially to be able to afford them..don't go to the dealer!!! Don't get the wipers at the dealer either,BIG BUCKS!!!! I would recommend that anyone who buys a new CRV have the tires changed before you leave the lot,,, they have no tread,so they were faster and are very bad even in a small rain storm.. I do feel safe in the car ,,that is why I am looking for a new one,It feels like I am in a little tank and it's built solid, I think the 2010 haven't changed at all... I just hope that they haven't done what the states have done here and gone cheap and put quality on the back shelf,,,the only thing I did have a problem with is that before 50,000 miles my back rotors,pads and calipers were shot..... not sure if this is normal.... I mean I drive all highway so I thought that they should have lasted longer than that,,,They are a rough riding vehichle that is for sure,but they are a truck not a car,,,but the seats really do suck..I drive 500+ miles in a week and let me tell you if I could put some good old chevy seats in it It would be the perfect car.. I really hope that Honda reads these messages.... I am going for our 3rd Honda and don't want to be dissappointed.... BUT FIX THE TIRES!!! They are going to end up causing someine an accident they are not safe... even on dry road you can feel them slip.....
  • loomisbloomisb Member Posts: 2
    I was also told that you can't get 2wd CRV's in Northeast ..which they should not be making that decision for us ,we know what we can drive and need where we live....they are more weight ,more money and less economic on your gas.....
    I don't think so, I live in RI and I bought a 2wd.
  • tocatoca Member Posts: 147
    It all depends how much you want to spend? At the low end, you could buy Bridgestone Insignia SE200's or at the high end, you could go with Michelin Latitude Tour or Yokohama Geolandar G91A's. Definitely can't go wrong with either of these two.
    Are you sure the noise is due to the harmonic resonance and not the window glass at all?

The OEM tires are not going to be top quality tires. They are a wear and tear item, and if you get 30,000 miles out of them, consider your self lucky. Check out http://www.tirerack.com and http://www.discounttires.com for tire alternatives.

Brakes, especially in upstate NY need to be serviced at the end of winter driving season. the caliper sliding pins have to be cleaned and lubricated. Brakes should be serviced at leat once a year, regardless of make and model. It is just a safe thing to do.

Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.