Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Honda CR-V

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Rear backup cam - nice! Is that a first in this class?

Screen could be bigger, what is that about 4-5". I'd prefer that the LCD took up that entire space and they used touch-screen technology. Or move the buttons elsewhere.

2 center consoles, it seems. I'd prefer it if the fixed console were taller. It could be a lot bigger. Maybe move it up so it could be an armrest.

Two glove boxes, but wouldn't one big one make more sense? Each of those looks small.

Guages looks great.

Shifter reminds me of the Highlander's.

Rear shelf is like the Equinox, sort of mid-height so it can be a shelf. Or lay it flat, which the RDX also has.

Here's a mistake, though - you can't cover tall cargo at all. Basically if you put the shelf in place you cut your cargo space in half.

Love the 40/20/40 seats. Very flexible.

I spotted heated seat switches, and plenty of buttons on the steering wheel. Probably the high-end model.

The one thing that stands out in the interior that I don't like are the GIANT door pulls, what's with that? Other than that I think they really nailed the interior design.

Looks good.

-juice
  • atlantagirlatlantagirl Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone see the emergency brake in the photos?

I'm having trouble figuring out where it could be?!?
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Parking Brake - looks to be floor operated. You can just see it here with the white writing on it:

image">
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Screen could be bigger, what is that about 4-5". I'd prefer that the LCD took up that entire space and they used touch-screen technology. Or move the buttons elsewhere. More than likely it's voice activated so touch screen isn't required IMHO.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    2 center consoles, it seems. I'd prefer it if the fixed console were taller. It could be a lot bigger. Maybe move it up so it could be an armrest.

Like the current CR-V, the armrest is on the sides of the seats.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Juice - The gearing for the 1st gen CR-V was short. The 2nd gen still had short gearing, but it wasn't quite as low. That applied to both the auto and manual. This 3rd gen has gearing that is shorter than the 2nd gen, though I'd have to do some digging to see if it's shorter than the first gen.

Others - Most of time, troubled plants are new plants. The 1999 Ody was the first large vehicle produced at that line. New equipment, new workers, new processes. We saw something similar when Honda started assembly in the south around the MMC. This has nothing to do with where the plant is located. New lines in Japan have resulted in lousy quality vehicles.

However, after a few years, the differences between an experienced plant and one that is several years old start to fade. Honda is going through the same process in one of the plants where they assemble the Fit for sale overseas. That plant is less than a year old and rapidly approaching their targets for quality.

Pics - These are my random observations...

I like the double glove box arrangement. This is much better than the uncovered storage shelf in the dash of the 2nd gen CR-V. Interesting that the latch for the top compartment is off-center so the driver can reach it, but the bottom latch is centered. Why not have both this way?

I preferred the button-in-dial approach to the HVAC controls on the 2nd gen CR-V. The dials were larger and the buttons are easier to operate by feel when they are placed in the center of a dial.

Center stack, gauge pod, and other controls all look fine. It's about time they put in a trip computer! Everyone put your hands together for the return of a real dead pedal.

That stupid shelf system in the cargo area interferes with the use of the full cargo space. Love the fact that the rear seats still slide fore and aft. I am so happy to see that earlier rumors about an RDX-sized cargo space were bogus. Why can't they get rid of those annoying L-shaped gussets on the leading edge of the rear wheel arches?

All in all, this is a nice step up from the current model... except the nose.
  • jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    Actually the Navi will be both touch screen and voice command. Looks to be the same one use for the Civic.
    Not sure I like the two glove boxes. RAV4 has that too, though. I'd just rather see one big one.

Arm rests - I wonder if only the passenger gets one? Now that all models are automatic there's no reason not to put 2 of them on there. Especially on models with the fixed center console - the walk-through is gone.

Again, though, it would make more sense to me to just make the center console a lot bigger and let the top of that serve as arm rests for both.

Everyone put your hands together for the return of a real dead pedal.

That gets thunderous applause from me.

-juice
  • nimrod99nimrod99 Member Posts: 343
    I don't believe it - how could Honda get rid of the "recirc" button and move to using a "Max A/C" button?
    that's what US auto makers use. There is no independant control of the cabin recirc air?

what if I want to close the outside air when I am behind a bus spewing diesel fumes, or on a dusty road?
  • ccacpccacp Member Posts: 117
    These are major drwabacks to me for the CR-V not to have these 2 features on the EX-L navi version.
    What do all of you think ?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,777
    Current CR-V has a MaxAir switch... still has a separate recirc button.. I doubt that will change..

Foot operated parking brake? I know it is auto only, but I still like the hand brake..

Current automatic models also have a driver's armrest..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

So what does "Max A/C" do if there is a separate recirc button?

On American Cars - MAX A/C is recirc but they tie it into A/C only.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,777
    Well.. it kicks in the recirculation mode...

But, you can kick in recirculation manually, as well.. I think the CR-V has always (GenI and GenII) had it this way..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• giltibogiltibo Member Posts: 6
    The RDX will be made in Marysville (Along with the Accord and TL) and the CR-V in East Liberty (Along with Civic Sedans and Elements)
  • ralph9ralph9 Member Posts: 88
    The leather seats seem to have a substantial amount of wrinkles. My 2005 Pilot's leather seats are a different configuration without wrinkles. Are wrinkles expected for these type of seats?
    You gotta stop tailgating diesel trucks. ;)

I'm not a fan of climate control or power seats, so that's OK with me. Honda was probably trying to stick to a price point. Maybe those will be added to high-end models later on.

2 armrests are better than 1. I guess that makes them Captain's Chairs. But I still would rather see a bigger center console.

-juice
    Thanks - but that is kind of redundant? (Having a manual recirc button and a Max A/C Button)

On the Highlander with Auto Climate control, AC and Recir can be deselected independantly by the driver.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I too prefer a hand-operated parking brake.

Wonder why they couldn't put the parking brake on the floor like they did for the 1st gen CR-V? There should be sufficient space for it since the console doesn't extend all the way back and the centre tray folds down.

Actually, in this era of electronics, shouldn't all mechanical parking brakes be laid to rest, and replaced by self-releasing electronic parking brakes? No more unsightly levers, awkward foot-brakes, and no more absent-minded souls driving around with the parking brake engaged! :blush:
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    I'm glad to see Honda kept the folding center tray on the '07. The interior seems more roomy without a connecting console.

If you can keep the folding tray empty, this feature is really nice when you have kids in car seats. My wife uses it when it is raining or cold to access my kids (in park of course).

Overall, the CRV looks really great. The interior is a knockout. If only the grille was not recessed on the nose.

Like my wife says, buy a car for its ride & interior. Nice looking exteriors are a bonus.
    Wonder why they couldn't put the parking brake on the floor like they did for the 1st gen CR-V?

Apparently, Honda has put parking break in CR-V for another market (possibly, European). One of the interior shots in this picture shows that.
    Having Max A/C eliminates the need to turn on the recirc button. Most people don't know it anyway, so all they have to do to maximize effect of AC is to use "max a/c" instead. You can still select it independently if you want. CR-V simply provides that alternative (pretty much like the windshield defogger that will turn on the AC which you can turn off if you preferred that).
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I too prefer a hand-operated parking brake."

Since there is no manual transmission available, the hand brake location is not critical. The only time one actually needs a hand brake is when the clutch has to be manipulated with the left foot.

For AT, just about any location will do.
  • joecarnutjoecarnut Member Posts: 215
    With a hand brake you can control the use of the e-brake. You can ease off etc.
    I like that much more.
    Not a deal killer for me but just a con on the cr-v's design.
    Hmm..perhaps hand brake will be late addition to North American market? I remember the pre-launch info for the 1st generation showed a Japanese-market CR-V without the hand brake, but later the NA version was confirmed with hand brake.
    Yes, that's one benefit. Also for me personally, I've used a hand brake all my life for all but one car (CL-S), so operating the hand brake has become almost a reflex action. Now, whenever I drive a car with a foot brake (ie. rental), I have to think, and look for the foot brake. Many times I have almost driven off without releasing the brake. The push-on, push-off kind of foot brake I find especially awkward to use, because it's the same action for both operations (set, and release). My brain is just too used to one distinct action for one operation and a different action for the other (ie. Stop car and yank up on brake lever vs. Push down lever and drive off)
    you better check you "build sheet" then...they are coming from Europe right now.
    Thats interesting, because I didn't think CR-Vs were going to be imported from Europe anymore.
    I suspect Steve is right. When they made the decision that no manual transmissions would make it here, perhaps they ditched the hand brake, too.

I just think they could use all that space for a bigger center console.

Look at the Pilot's, it's brilliant. There is an acre of room in there. My wife's cousin has one and it fits a large purse. And an iPod. And 2 cell phones. And several CDs. And...

-juice
    well, not thinking and having the data from Honda are two entirely different things.

Don't look for CR-V to be built here until the Indiana plant get built. Honda is maxed out right now for production space.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Unlike juice, I do like that feature. It gives you the ability to separate items into more logical storage areas. Also, I think it's easier to search through two smaller glove boxes than one huge glove box.

Several vehicles have this feature, not just the RAV4.

As to the rest of the interior, it looks very attractive. I think Honda did a good job here.

Finally, I don't think the "nose" will hinder sales much, if at all.

Bob
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    2 glove boxes is a great idea. My aunt keeps things like a hairbrush, kleenex, band-aids, and little snacks (packs of peanut-butter crackers) in the little glovebox of her Odyssey, while she keeps her records and owner's info, and a small umbrella, in her large glovebox. It makes keeping your stuff organized much easier; to the point I wish I had that feature in my Accord.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    I've got 2 gloveboxes (plus a center console, plus a funky little storage compartment above the stereo) in my G35. It's a GREAT way to separate the different kinds of items, and place them in accordance with accessibility requirements (paperwork in the main box, CDs in another, food right at my fingertips).

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• sky23213sky23213 Member Posts: 300
    Hmmm, with interior that nice I'd be willing to live with the face, although our next CR-V will be probably in '08, or 2010. As far as the separate compartments, when u think about it, it's actually much nicer than one big one. Anything that big you may want to fit in a large glove compartment should probably be in the trunk. And, yes, much more organized with two, don't have to dig through bunch of stuff. One for the Manual, receipts, coupons, etc; another for lighter, cigs, gun, etc.
    Very nice indeed.
    If they made the new center console tall enough to serve as an arm rest, they'd need to remove the seat-mounted arm rests for those models. Meanwhile, they'd still need to have the seat-mounted design for the other models. I gotta figure having two separate designs for the armrests is more expensive than one.

They've already got two separate consoles. I'd think that was enough.

As for the compartments, I'm thinking CD cases, the i-Pod, and other frequently used items go in the upper glove box. Unlike the shelf on the current CR-V, this space is covered out of sight. And I agree that it would be easier to sort items in there.

There is also storage at the base of the center stack (under the gear selector). Not sure what will fit in there. Looks like there are three cubbies: one looks like a 12V, another small slot sits next to it, and the one on the very bottom might be large enough for CD cases.
  • orbit9090orbit9090 Member Posts: 116

Here is a link to a neat article with lotsa pics...
    http://www.caranddriver.com/previews/11564/2007-honda-cr-v.html
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    Everyone put your hands together for the return of a real dead pedal.

That gets thunderous applause from me.

But there's no manual tranny which is where the pedal really comes in to play. Obviously it's there for other markets. Auto drivers use it too I suppose.
    Don't look for CR-V to be built here until the Indiana plant get built. Honda is maxed out right now for production space.

I'm confused. Where the heck is the new CR-V being built for the NA market?
    But there's no manual tranny which is where the pedal really comes in to play. Obviously it's there for other markets. Auto drivers use it too I suppose.

Yes we do, otherwise, we're left tucking our foot under our right leg to avoid getting stiff/numb. I hated the fact that my father's 2002 CR-V had no real properly-placed pedal. Our 2000 Odyssey didn't have much of one either.
    I never really had a problem with the "rubber pad" in the 2nd gen CR-V. I prefer a full-sized chunk of something, but that's a minor niggle in my book.

My MDX doesn't have a real dead pedal, but I just did a 5 hour drive with it and had no trouble with my foot falling asleep. YMMV.
    The US will eventually get CR-Vs from Japan and the US. We are dropping the Swindon logistics. However, the US line isn't ready yet. So it appears we'll start with only the plant in Sayama, Japan.
  • orbit9090orbit9090 Member Posts: 116
    >>But there's no manual tranny which is where the pedal really comes in to play. Obviously it's there for other markets. Auto drivers use it too I suppose.

It's just the opposite. If anything, a dead pedal would get LESS use with a manual tranny by those who have to depress a clutch all the time.

The dead pedal "comes into play" for any American equipped a left leg, with the exception of idiots who brake with their left foot. (Yes, I have seen it. It makes me cringe.)
    Well, it wasn't that it had only a "pad", or that it was fairly small; it was that the shape of the thing was no different than the floorboard. I don't use the dead pedal 100% of the time; sometimes I'm flat on the floor, others, I'm using the pedal. I want the degree of incline that i get in most cars, in order to change the position of the muscles in my leg. It's like when you sit for awhile, it feels good to cross one leg over the other (ankle-to-knee). I do this probaly ever ten minutes at Church because my legs get restless. It's the angle that the footrest is pointed that is most important to me, but other's may, and likely do, feel differently.
    That article says it's a 6.5" NAV screen. It doesn't look nearly that big. Do I need eye glasses? :confuse:

another for lighter, cigs, gun, etc

OK, I won't argue with you... :D

Dead pedals are good to hold you in place when cornering. In the old model I never felt like I was securely in the seat. That feeling was excacerbated by the high vantage point.

-juice
  • mesquite57mesquite57 Member Posts: 59
    In all the great interior pictures in post #553 I cannot see a separate "Recirc switch". But, if there is one, I have an idea of what the MAX A/C switch may be for.

Many 4cyl engines will disable the A/C compressor upon heavy acceleration or idle to reserve power for acceleration. Not sure if the CRV does this but perhaps the MAX A/C switch over-rides the disabling of the compressor so that you sacrifice acceleration for A/C....very important to anyone who lives in the desert when it's 110 degrees.

Otherwise, it's an either an inappropriate name for "Recirc" or I'm going to get A/C when I don't want it. I use "recirc" when I get behind "stinky" vehicles or extreme dust, paving, etc. It's useful for more than just Max A/C.
    The navigation system (screen) appears to be similar to Civic's, which is 6.5".
  • vcarrerasvcarreras Member Posts: 247
    Anyone know if Fog/Driving lights will be offered? Some pictures show them. Hope it will be standard on the EX models if not already pre-wired to install. Hope Honda doesn't charge $4-500 like they did for the Ody! :(
    You are right. Similar to varmint I've never had an issue with or without a dead pedal.
    That's interesting. Everything I read and heard said the '07 would be built in the US. I just assumed it would be at the launch (seemed like a valid assumption) of the new model. I guess you can get a Japanese produced 3G CR-V in NA. At least for a while.
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    ...sell a ton of these. Honda looks to have done a great job. I don't think the front end is going to hurt at all.
This discussion has been closed.