Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder Electrical Problems

Comments

• don95don95 Member Posts: 4
    My 98 Pathy will not start simetimes. Not a thing happens when you turn the key.. just the clock display goes out. Have to keep trying the key & maybe after a couple dozen times it will turn over & start. And then when it starts after a short while all gauges loose power (tach, speed, temp, fuel), turn signals won't work, windows won't work and it just stay in (probably) 3rd gear and will not shift. Check engine lite is on.
    My tech checked charging and two main curcuits and says they are ok. He disassembled the ignit switch and cleaned oil & dirt out of it. We thought maybe that fixed it but not so.

Anybody have this problem and solved it?

Thanks
  • kaydogs9kaydogs9 Member Posts: 9
    i have a 98 also,with 110 k.i know there are issues with the elect ,all lights dim when i open the door or plug something in like serius sat radio. nice little suv ,but im driving with a spare battery in the trunk.already replaced the cluster(speed,tech,gas,etc)no more probs with that.just waiting on the day the back windows wont go up or down.barely working( lack of power?)
    good luck, and keep it in 4wd if your in MN
  • switchfixerswitchfixer Member Posts: 21
    ------------ Read Pathfinder not so good ---------
    Yea sounds like an ignition switch. But I'm not sure. The pathfinder has been the best vehicle I have owned for a while but, read below.

kaydogs are you in MN? If you are have the frame checked out for rust.

I just had my pathfinder inspected and it flunked. It rusted out from the inside out, the frame that is. the Pathfinders have a boxed frame and the moisture cannot get out. my main mechanic told me he see's the Pathfinders all the time with bad rust. he said he could poke a screw driver right threw the frame in places where it looked good. I wish he would have poked around last year when he passed it. I am so mad.

Mine is a pile of junk now, I cannot believe it. I had brand new tires put on 4 months ago and the place where I go to get the service done they will always tell you , you need an alignment or your transmission fluid looks bad do you want it changed. But they never mentioned how bad the cancer was on the frame, totally ridiculous.

Im posting this not to break out the bad news but to tell you guys have it checked, the last thing I wanted or anybody else is the frame breaking down the highway at highway speed and possibly lose my life. freaking junk. don't buy one if you can help it.

Switchfixer :mad:
    i see that there is some rust on my side step(nerf bar) and when i go over big bumps i hear something rattling loose.figured it was some kind of clamp or fastener for the exhaust system.havent got around to getting under the truck yet,guess im alittle afraid to find out any bad news.i know that the old japanese steal was sub- par.was hoping that was something that was fixed before 98.well i can and will fix or weld some things myself. talked to one mech (nissan) said the pathfinder was awsome ,better then my 04 jeep grand,stronger, better millage .(i think he has been brain washed)well, we`ll see.so far all i can say is i notice th 2 inches i lost in the drivers seat.6 foot 2 inch, knee cramp
  • 01trashfinder01trashfinder Member Posts: 4
    I have no dash lights-or brake lights but everthing else works fine. Tried looking for instrument/dash fuse but no luck!? Now when I park, the gear shift locks in place and I have to use a screwdriver to get trans in Drive-but still no brake lights?? any help!!!! tired of trashfinder
    trashfinder LOLLOLOLOL
    I hear ya.
    switchfixer
    mine locks too. what i found is that if i turn the wheel hard one way ,foot on brakes and try moving shifter.no idea why.not sure it will help you,worth a try.
    as far as the cluster ,luckily i realized it as soon as i bought it and they replaced it for me.i think these things have real bad electricall issues.and i dont have a clue about fixen cars.thought thats why i bought a 10 grand 98 pathy with 89 thousand miles(because they were sooo much better then our american.
    good luck
  • lildavidjaxlildavidjax Member Posts: 68
    When you have no dash lights, you also have no tail lights. (It is a safety feature) Most all cars I've ever been around are like that. Check the fuses on the passenger side of the engine under the hood. Let me know if that helps, if not I'll look into it more.

As for the shifter, ( your is newer than mine ) there might be a shift-lock fuse that has blown. Anyone else know more?
    Found 1 problem- backed down low into a ditch (deer huntin' story) and mashed the converter for trailer lights!!
    took the whole assembly off , checked fuses for 1 mill time and there it was- blown!! got my me rear lights working and the shifter now works!! But no clue on dash lights?? i've looked everwhere & owner manuel !!
    Thanks alot-I finally found it- the back tail light relay!! all the other fuses were good so that had to be it,and for once it actually was!! great site also!!
  • bbpamy21bbpamy21 Member Posts: 1
    Hopefully someone can help me with this issue - I have a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder with 55k miles. For the last two weeks when driving the car will start to shake and make a loud noise. If I press on the gas pedal to go faster it stops. I took the car back to the Nissan dealer and they can't find anything wrong. I have also taken it to a local mechanic and he can't find anything - all of my fluids are topped off ! I have another appt at another nissan dealer, but does anyone have any suggestions. It happens only at speeds greater than 40 and only when I have been maintaining the speed for a 5- 10 minutes without braking or slow down...Its extremely frustrating and I don't know what to do. I would like to get this fixed while I still have a powertrain warranty... Thanks for your help.
  • chacon64chacon64 Member Posts: 3
    Hello i own a 1995 nissan pathfinder,someone knows what means that red light?,says RTM
    Thanks.
    Hello,
    I'm going to guess they scanned the computer for error codes at your dealer? If no codes came up at your local dealer and your mechanic cant find any problems this is what you should do.

Make an appt at the dealer to have a tech take the vehical for a
    day or two and have him run and autopilot. The tech will hook up the autopilot to the cars computer and then drive the vehical till it starts
    to shake, make noise or whatever at that point the autopilopt logs
    a code and identifies the problem.

My 1st guess would be its a speed sensor on the transmission or a (TPS), throttle position sensor that has went faulty

Good luck.
    Switchfixer
  • dave169dave169 Member Posts: 3
    last week I replaced my alternator. everything went good. but now some of my dash lights stay on. they are, battery, brake, and alt. lights. I have rechecked the belt and put the voltage meter on and it tested perfect. I checked all the fuses and all are good. some one told me it could be an inline fuse? Is there such a thing and if there is can I find it and fix it my self? I have a 1992 nissan pathfinder,v6 3.0 other wise the truck runs great.
  • ernies1ernies1 Member Posts: 4
    i have a 2001 nissan pathfinder everytime i plug my phone charger in or a gps charger into my cigar lighter it blowes a fuse and i keep replacing it with the right amp fuse also the one in the console does not work at all and the one in the very back does not work can some one help
  • dave169dave169 Member Posts: 3
    Hello everyone! i posted a message a few weeks ago. I am very surprised with all the experts on this site, not one person could send me an answer. If anyone could please read my post #66 and at least give me an idea this would be very helpful! :confuse:
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may find some help in Got a Quick, Technical Question?. Good luck!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • ernies1ernies1 Member Posts: 4
    hey thanks to everyone who responded to my question i am greatful thanks again
  • rferruccirferrucci Member Posts: 1
    Where can this fuse be on my 05 Nissan Pathfinder?
    The blinkers and brake lights do not work on my trailer, I once had all the wires crimped which shorted out the fuses, I was only able to find and change the tail light fuse for the trailer.
    Does anyone know where the fuse is for the brakes and tail lights for my trailer?
    There are fuses to the left of the steering column, and open the hood, there should be another fuse box on the passenger side.
  • kt91kt91 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 nissan pathfinder, my right turn signal works fine, but as soon as I apply the break it stops blinking, and when the signal isn't on and I apply the breaks the signal turns on. my left blinker works fine and so do my flashers. Does anyone know what this could be caused by??? I ran into a snow drift, could it be that I jostled my car or is it for sure an electrical or fuse problem??? :confuse: thanks a ton to anyone that can help!!!
  • georgedangeorgedan Member Posts: 5
    I have the same problem,no dash lights,no running light(taillightsor side lights)
    Where is the relay that you found? mine is a 95 .

I am recovering from a stroke and I really need to fix this as cheaply as possible.

Than you so much
    George
    It probably isn't a relay, it's probably the combo switch ( where you turn the headlights
    on and off.) I haven't had to work on mine yet. Some cars require you to remove the steering wheel to get it off. I don't know if thats true with the Pathfinder or not, someone else my know. Anyway, I've heard that you can bend the contacts and clean them so that they will make contact. Switchfixer used to be on this forum. He could tell you more about it, but I don't know if he's still here or not, because he had to get rid of his Pathfinder. Good luck!
    David :)
    I think we finally fixed the problem with my son's 98 Pathfinder. It often would not start and then when it would start it would often loose all power to window, door locks, turn signals, guages and would stay in one gear. My technician changed the ignition switch (the electrical switch - not the key tumbler). Since then it seems to be good. It was not as expensive as I thought it would be either.
    Really appreciate your help and I was wondering if you knew of anyone who can help me further with my problem . I am doing my best to recover from a stroke,but can't do the work myself and can't afford to take it to a garage or to someone to work on. I have a friend who would try to work on it if we knew exactly how to get to the switch? I will say again,it is a 1995 Nissan Pathfinder SE. My dash lights and running lights don't come on,but the head lights and turn signals do work. This is our only means of transportation and I really need to get it fixed. My wife cannot drive it after dark or on snowy or rainy days as it is defintely unsafe to do so.
    If you can help with someone who knows how to fix(step by sep),I would be very grateful.
    Thank you for your time,
    George
    Hello George,
    I think I might know whats going on. If I read you right it sounds like a turnsignal switch, which contains the switch on/off for the running lights
    on the first click, then the headlights and tail light on the second click.

Before you buy anything try this, I copied and pasted my original post (page 2 of this forum) which contains a fix for the turn signal switch. It read as follows:

Hello, I had the same problem on my 95' with the tail lights not coming on with the headlights or shutting off when driving (great no one could see me from behind). It's the turnsignal-headlight switch. I fixed this easly
    in 30 minutes. Underneath the steering wheel remove the 4 screws that hold the bottom half of the steering wheel bezel. Once you have those off you can lift the top half of the bezel a bit to get to the two screws that hold the switch in place. Remove switch and take inside your home / or shop. There is a plastic plate that covers the where the
    contacts are. That plate is about a 1 1/2" roughly square. I forget if it has screws or not , unscrew and or pry to pop that piece of plastic off. You will now see 4 or five contact legs. One for the headlamps 1 for taillamps and 2 turnsiganl contact legs. From turning headlights on/off alot they get unsprung a bit and will make little contact with the other mating surface. I used a small screw driver
    to bend them towards the inside of the switch so they could make good contact. Take the switch in your hand and turn it on , you will see a one or two legs that have lost some off the orginal bend to make contact (thats the brake lights, use a small screw driver or you thumb to bend then inwards a bit to match the other legs. You could also use a very small pair of needle nose to bend the legs downword towards the other mating surface. My tail lights worked after this fix and i haven't had a problem in the year that i did this fix. good luck it works! Take your time to understand where and how the contact legs go to make a connection.

In your situation George it seems like the first click on your turn signal
    is not make contact, ie the contact legs.
    Let me know if this makes sense to you.
    It is very easy to remove the turn signal switch as stated above.
    I'm 95% sure that it is the turn signal switch becuse click one is"the running and dash lights no question, if you can repair it without replacing is another matter. Ebay has them cheaper than the dealer,
    and I can get you a link to one of the auctions if you would like.
    Let me know. I will try my best to help you.
    switchfixer! :)
    Switchfixer,
    Thanks so much. Yes, it makes sense. I got myself out there and took a look at the column and I believe with these instructions that my buddy and I may be able to fix it. It is pretty hard trying to get things done right now,but I am getting better everyday and your help is greatly appreciated. I will let you know how it works out.

Thanks again ,

Georgedan
    Your welcome!
    After you have the four screws under out the switch has two screws on either side, take out only those two and the switch then just needs to be unplugged form the little harness that goes to it and wiggle it out.

When you get the switch out all the way and pop that plastic piece off, then turn the switch on in your hand while watching the contact legs to identify which one needs attention.
    I believe one leg makes a connection for dash+running second makes
    headlights and taillites and the other two may be left and right turn signal. Once you have identified the contact leg look at the others
    that are working and observe the correct bend-& take your time-
    Let me know. And best of luck!
    Switchfixer :shades:
  • leodentleodent Member Posts: 1
    While testing fuses of my Nissan Pathfinder 1998, because mirror compass and lighter didn't work, suddenly inside lights, radio and hazard lights stop working as well. I check every fuse and I found power in every one but now they don't work anymore. Please, I will thank any help about.
  • 70ss454_man70ss454_man Member Posts: 107
    I just got a 1987 Pathfinder SE-V6 and the blinkers don't work. At first, when the blinkers were turned on the blinker flasher relay would click erratically and loudly, not just a freaking out blinker sound but it was really fast and no lights would shine on the dash or on the signals outside. We replaced that, and the blinker clicked 3 times then went silent. Now nothing happens at all when i try to use the blinkers. I checked the fuse box and all the fuses are fine.

The lady i bought it from said that they would work fine but sometimes when it rained the blinkers would do their thing (not work)

I dont know if there's a short somewhere or what, but it needs fixed fast. I cant get pulled over on the way to school
    Help?
  • karldmkarldm Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to get hold of the repair manual or wiring diagram for my 1994 Pathfinder. I bought the vehicle in Brazil and transported it to London. Unfortunately, Nissan in the UK are unable to help me as this Model was not available in this country.
  • osperaospera Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 pathfinder which started out with the headlamp turning on and off as I was running it without opening any doors. I turned the switch to off but now after maybe 8 months the A/C blower starts and stops intermittently and its getting worse daily. Usually it stays on after the car has been running for a while.

The odometer stopped displaying the top half of the numbers or vaguely displays them. :confuse:

I just noticed the rear left brake light is not turning on. :surprise:

I checked the battery and alternator and they seem fine. The fuses don't look wrong either.

Any suggestions? Someone mentioned it may be the voltage regulator but I'm not sure.

thanks!
  • yotesno9yotesno9 Member Posts: 2
    I have a '95 Pathfinder, with same issue. I just tried the tape trick on the rear hatch strike plate. I tried moving the strike plate position and that didn't work. So I set it back to the original position and tried the tape. You can use too much or the latch won't grab correctly. Hopefully this will solve my problems. If it doesn't has anyone else resolved a similar issue the same way?
  • yotesno9yotesno9 Member Posts: 2
    I tried the tape trick 3 days ago on the rear hatch strike plate and it eliminated the dome light flickering and thus has taken 99% of my issues away. I still have issues with the light staying on when I shut the door. It seems random and it appears to just be a delay of about 5seconds and then it goes off. It has happened 3 times since I put the tape on. Otherwise, it seems to work normally (when you shut the door the dome light goes out immediately).
    Not everyone has access to a wire welder, but I put a small weld on the latch where it made contact and pushed the switch further back so the light would go off. I filed the weld down to make it smooth so it wouldn't damage the contact switch.I believe this would be a permanent repair. Anyone got any tips for me for remembering to put my sunroof back in before it pours rain? :surprise: I've done that twice in a month!
    DUH! Happy motoring!
    D
  • lmac3lmac3 Member Posts: 1
    Nice forum! I have a 2003 Pathfinder 2wd that has started acting wierd. Driving the other day, the power dwindled to about half. Drove it the next day to have it fixed, but it worked find, and has been since. The fixit guys said no error codes, so no know what to fix. Now, a new oddity -- the ac fan turns on full blast when the ignition is turned on, and none of the controls do anything. The off button doesn't work, the speed buttons don't work. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.
  • ron95ron95 Member Posts: 1
    about a month ago my starter stuck on and burnt out i replaced with rebuilt unit then worked 2 days then intermintedly i would turn key and nothing happens jumped at starter then key would start car again for days this senario went on 4 weeks then starter stuck on again any sugjestions would be apriciated
    We though we had fixed this problem fixed last fall with a new ignition switch and cleaning positive and negative connections between the battery, ignition switch and starter. It seemed to be fine for the few days before my son put this 98 Pathy into storage. (He went travelling for six months.) He just got home, took it out of storage and drove it around the city for two days and it was fine. Then we went to the cottage to pick up some gear. It ran fine for the 100 miles there. After an hour we turned around to come home and 15 mile from the cottage the speedo, odometer, tach, turn signals, and windows lost power and it stayed in 2nd gear. after 5 miles everything kicked back in again. Sometime you have to turn the ignition switch several times before it will turn over. My son thinks that it may be related to the rainy days we have been having. He thinks that on dry days it may not act up.
    We think its unrelated, but his compas and temperature above the mirror have not been working for a long time.
    Would it be a specific relay. If anybody has any ideas we would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Don
  • tnjrobi1tnjrobi1 Member Posts: 41
    The A/C Fan in my 2002 Pathfinder quit working today. The display shows that the fan should be working, but it's not. I pulled the fan and tested it and it works fine. Any advice on what might be wrong?

:cry:
  • mystical63mystical63 Member Posts: 1
    This is a long one.. so bare with me. And I don't know a lot about cars, but enough to understand most of it.

My Ford pickup was having issues and the battery died.
    So I was going to jump it with my Pathfinder. When the jumper cables were hooked up (both vehicles off). I heard a noise from the Pathfinder was like the fuel injectors kicking in and a clicking sound.
    Started my truck with no problems.
    Got both vehicles home ( 1/2 mile or less) shut both vehicles off,
    wanted to see if it would start(pathfinder) and it didn't.
    Tried jumping it with truck... would not jump. Just heard a click on drivers side and then passenger side. Had power to lights. Battery is fully charged.. I'm stumped... any clues???
  • tnjrobi1tnjrobi1 Member Posts: 41
    I fixed the problem with my blower motor on my 2002 Pathfinder. The motor was fine as I stated in my previous post. The problem was a power control module that is about 15" to the left and up from the blower motor. It costs me $126.00 to replace it (taxes included.) The way I discovered it was the module was by using a jumper wire in the pins that I unplugged from the module. When I put the jumper wire in the top right pin and the bottom pin the blower motor started working. So I figured it had to be a problem with this module. I replaced the module and now everything works fine.

I hope this helps if someone else ever has this problem...
  • awoodwaringawoodwaring Member Posts: 3
    I used a code reader and it came up with P100. I replaced the MAF and TPS and it is still stalling and now running rougher. I had a p325 which was the Knock sensor when I was trying to prevent it from stalling. Any ideas? :sick:

Andy
    Just a thought, did you clear the code(s)? ( IE disconnect the battery?)
    I used the code reader to erase the codes and it turn off the Service engine light, disconnected the battery for about 5 mins, clears computer. I think it might be a bad MAF sensor, still.
  • schukanuosladyschukanuoslady Member Posts: 118
    I just started reading about the Pathfinders as my husband's 98 side window won't go up or down on the driver's side and was looking to see if anyone else had that problem.

I found this website because my Toyota Tacoma frame rusted and I was surprised what I found. If I had found the website in March we would have saved money because in May Toyota did a recall on my Tacoma due to holes in the frame.

I would call up a dealer and see if there is a recall on your frame before you junk it. Toyota paid me 150% kelly blue book excellent condition to get my truck off the road. And they are still buying 1995 - 2000 tacomas to get them off the road as it is a safety hazard. You can also report this problem and it can be looked into like they did with Toyota.

So, has anyone had a problem with the driver's window all of a sudden not going up or down?
    I replaced the MAF sensor, to the store and got a new one today. They had to order it and it took a couple of days to get here. Well the pathfinder works great! It is not throwing anymore codes :) Just thought you would like to know, because I like to know what the fix was.

cheers
  • ulmpulmp Member Posts: 1
    We recently purchased a 2004 Pathfinder from a local dealership. The front power windows go down on their own and the door locks engage when the vehicle is parked and turned off. My son observed the turn signal lights in the front flash and the windows rolled down and the car locked while parked and off in our driveway.
    Can anyone shed some light on what might be the problem? (besides the idea that it is haunted???) Thanks
  • rusty62rusty62 Member Posts: 1
    Had the same problem last week on my 91, thought it was the starter so replaced it work about 5 times and started the same problem. I can hear the starter relay kick in (click) but not start. This time I jumped 12 volts to the starter solenoid (Blk with pink or vil stripe) and it cranked. I changed out the starter relay, the one that was clicking but that didn’t fix it. It did start a couple of times but the problem kept coming back. I found that this is common on the older Pathys. I also found on one forum how to fix it and that is replace the wire that comes from the ignition with one directly from the positive terminal. The starter relay is on the passenger side by the battery on my 91. I cut off the Blk with Yel stripe wire and spliced in a wire directly from the positive of the battery. Now I can’t tell you exactly what’s going on but it has to be there is too much resistance in the wiring coming back from the ignition or corroded contacts along the way. I have read all kinds or fixes attempted by replacing all the parts but still didn’t fix the problem. The fellows name on the forum I got it from was Reverse but I don’t remember the forum name. Don’t try to understand it just do it.
  • kicho1kicho1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 pathfinder, changed the sparkplugs to see if it would run better but it didn't. Every time i hit a bump the vehical turns off or rpm fall below 1 and turn off.
    any suggestions.
    Thanks
  • 70ss454_man70ss454_man Member Posts: 107
    sounds like you have a lose wire, it could be a coil wire, or it could be a power wire to your distributor. Check and make sure all the wires leading to the distributor are secure at all ends. Also check to make sure you didn't accidentally knock any other wires or vacuum lines lose anywhere in the engine compartment.

A lose wire can do a lot of things, make the engine sputter, lose connection and kill the engine, surge, etc.

That's where I would start looking.