Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma Performance Tips and Mods

lopezbrasslopezbrass Member Posts: 1
I just bought a 1997 Tacoma and I was wondering what improvements I could make to the truck to increase its performance, such as intake, air filters, etc. It would be a great help if these improvements could be on the low priced side of auto parts. Thanks!

Comments

• titanfan67titanfan67 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking at purchasing a 1998 Avalon XLS but owner told me the only problem is whenever it rains that the air doesn't blow cold. It blows but not cold. Then when it dries up the air works fine and is cool. Took it to Toyota several times and they couldn't figure out the problem. Even opened hood and sprayed inside but air worked fine, only doesn't when rains?? Anybody else heard of this and how did you resolve it?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Titanfan67, your post at this link is in the right place: titanfan67, "Toyota Avalon: Problems & Solutions" #1399, 1 Jul 2006 7:06 am. Be sure to check back there!
  • 95tacotruck95tacotruck Member Posts: 2
    I own a 95 Tacoma 2.4L. I removed the stock intake and installed a K & N intake which cost about $200 on e-bay. I also added a throttle body spacer and both combined added lots of power. I hope this helps.
  • flyguy8flyguy8 Member Posts: 8
    Niether will help performance,that stuff you bought is just false marketing like the Tornado gas saver. To improve airflow do a deckplate mod or elbow modification one costs less than 5 dollars to do and the elbow mod costs 0 dollars and you get the same performance that you think your getting with the high priced setup.Look here www.gadgetonline.com/airinduction.htm and find knowledge power seeker.
  • chomama1chomama1 Member Posts: 15
    Anyone have one of these installed??

How much and do you like the sound??

Is this part of the TRD Sport package??
  • kingmancruiserkingmancruiser Member Posts: 2
  • kingmancruiserkingmancruiser Member Posts: 2
    A person on another forum said there are superchargers made for 2.7L Tacomas. I have an '02, and those 4 cylinders don't get me up the hills very well, when I'm towing a trailer. Does anyone here have a source or a part number or any other info that would help me track one down?
  • dwain1dwain1 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 06 Tacoma/off road package with a dealer installed TRD performance exhaust,around $600.00. It does'nt have the throuty exhaust sound that I had hoped but does'nt sound bad. If had to do it over I would check out a cat-back
    system.
  • marcusxmarcusx Member Posts: 22
    A lot of people like the magnaflow catback. Borla is also good.
  • luvuvrideluvuvride Member Posts: 5
    i would be real careful what you do with your exhaust as toyota very carefully engineers that exhaust to that engine achieving the right balance of back-pressure and offtheline performance. most of the aftermarket attraction is what sound there will be which mostly means less back pressure, more head heat (burnt valves) and less torque off the line. this is why you see those hodjee-racers with the big jetpipe blowin' blue smoke on accelleration. is sound worth all that to you?
  • chomama1chomama1 Member Posts: 15
  • auchrisauchris Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 tacoma 4-door. I have developed a noise simalier to a bad bearing. Have replaced all belts, and even the idler wheel. Nothing helped. You can only hear it when its cold also. Anyone here had this problem??
  • jettafacejettaface Member Posts: 15
    Hi, I have a 1989 Toyota SR5 4x4 4 cyc pickup with 66,000 miles on it. I just luv this toy. Friend gave me 2 new exhaust mufflers. Can't find a name on them but they are cyclinder in shape, about 2 feet long and red....I know..nice info. But I was thinking of putting both of these on and now am wondering if I could screw up back pressure, etc.? Maybe I should just leave well enough alone, but I sure would like to hear a little growl when I take off. Second childhood I guess. Any suggestions? Thanks much.
  • gvcenter54gvcenter54 Member Posts: 1
    i own a 99' tacoma 2.7L and i change the oil and everything regularly but i have 31 inch tires on it all around and am getting about 12 mpg. i have a K&N filter for mods but nothing really exciting. i wanted a louder exhaust so i cut the old rusted exhaust and welded up a 2 inch straight pipe and used the existing tail pipe. its alot louder but i noticed i got around 22 around town with it and it even help my milage more that i drove 55 all around anyways all the time. idk if the whole exhaust thing is for you guys but it made a huge difference in high end power for my truck and better fuel economy.
  • jettafacejettaface Member Posts: 15
    Hi..thanks for the info. What name muffler system did you use or is it just the stock one? Not sure I understand, novice..sorry. I am thinking you cut the muffler out of the system, but I could be wrong. I too have 31" tires and for a 4 cyc you think I would get better gas mileage than about 15 mpg...ish. Thanks.
  • diveralohadiveraloha Member Posts: 1
    Aloha,
    I have always wondered about this but no one could really explain to me why an engine needs backpressure. I found this article "Destroying a myth" (http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_product/sue462/backpressuretorquemyth.htm) that states a lack of backpressure is not the cause of burnt valves. Rather, it was a problem with the carburetors which produced too lean of a mixture. Today, with our computerized engines which can modify the air/fuel mixture on the fly, this is no longer a problem.
    Cheers
  • drummerboy69drummerboy69 Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I am very interested in getting a cold air intake. Most likely looking at getting the K&N Cold Air Intake - Generation II for my
    2002 dbl cab v6 3.4 prerunner.

My main concern is problems while offroading. I heard that there is a possiblity that the air intake will not be able to filter some of the fine sand and dust as well as the factory air box.

Also if anyone has had problems with there intakes please post your issues.

Any insight is awsome! thanks!
  • drummerboy69drummerboy69 Member Posts: 6
  • mdawg25mdawg25 Member Posts: 23
    I am looking at doing the same thing, only with a 2.4 4-banger. Obviously, no concerns with me off roading. I've heard people being worried about the filter being exposed, but I personally don't have those worries. I would maybe be concerned with the long intake tube snapping while doing serious offroading, but that's about it
  • jaybird12jaybird12 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2005 tacoma sport double cab. My airbag light recently came on and when I brought it to the dealership I was told that the left front sensor had corroded along with the wire harness. I was then told that this was a repair upwards of $3000!! Does anyone know if this is a recall, I can't see how this can be considered normal wear and tear on a 3 year old truck.

Thanks
    Jay
  • tbonbraketbonbrake Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2002 2-door extended cab Pre-runner with the 2.7 liter 4 cylinder engine and have a noise when its cold. The noise in my truck sounds more like a sticking valve lifter in an old American V8 and only occurs right after start up if the outside temperture is 55 degrees or lower and the noise only lasts approximately 30 seconds or less. I'm going to be discussing this with a mechanic soon and if I find out anything that may help I'll let you know.
  • dorifutodorifuto Member Posts: 2
    Just get a filter cone cover for the Kn filter cone. Aliken it to a pillow case for your pillow. That should filter out the sand and dust that would normally past through. Get a plastic composit tube, not a metal one, so that the engine heat won't super heat the metal tube causing decrease in performance.
  • dewalt420hdewalt420h Member Posts: 1
    hey man i have an 07 tacoma trd sport and had the same problem after 1 year and they replaced it so if your waranty is up i would call toyota head quarters and complain because thats just crazy for that to go bad after 3 years
  • arirajab949arirajab949 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2008 tacoma 4cyl with 50k and had the same problem.
    mine was due to bad cadylic converter. dealer changed it under warranty.
    i saw the invoice they charged the warranty and it was upward 1500. get it done while you can. gas mileage and pedal is more responsive.
    also swap out the stock 215/70/15 out to goodyear wrangers 235/75/15.
    best tire for the money and offset of mph by 3.0 in your favor.
    stock tires are -2.5 thus expiring your warranty sooner. if you want on the dot speedo go with 225/75/15.
  • 07tacoma197207tacoma1972 Member Posts: 1
    I recently had magnaflow ran on my 07 trd. Dual in dual out and there was a big difference in the power and performance..cost around 400.00.