Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X5 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mlock6mlock6 Member Posts: 22
    Last car was a 530 series D.A.!!!
    Thanks for the response.
  • bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    I was talking to a BMW service tech, and he was talking about X5s and their draining batteries....

He said that it's often the "blower resistor" that is the culprit. The easiest way to tell if that's the problem is to put something very light (like a feather or something) in front of the vents when you leave the car. Then observe the car after it is off. If the feather moves, then the blower's still going, and that's what's draining the battery.

Just wanted to pass this along, FWIW. :)
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Pretty soon these cars are going to start thinking for themselves. I read recently that new luxury cars have 70 computers of various sorts onboard and 35 million lines of computer code.

Can you say "bug"?
  • 1av8r1av8r Member Posts: 3
    Cephus here is a copy of my original letter. My biggest concern right now is the transmission. the problem is in my first letter. I have a 2001 BMW X5 3.0 and have had nothing but problems since day one. I have a lot of the same complaints as others vibration at a stop with car in drive, then goes away when put in neutral etc. The car has quite a few other problems I have not heard others complain of. For instance, When you park the car and lock the doors and come back later the front windows will be half way down. The windshield wipers will not reset to the park position about 99% of the time. It has been at the dealer at least 3 times to repair these with no avail. Recently the back brake lights have been intermittent. Now they are completely out, the dealer says that it might need complete new wiring harness or a new light bezzel he isn't sure yet. Also recently when you put the car in drive there has been a pause of about 3 seconds until the car will move almost like the transmission is slipping then it catches. Now also does it in reverse and in drive the pause is up to about 6 seconds until it takes off. The dealer says there are no fault codes and would like the car for 3 days so he can observe it and research it more. Does he think I am going pay for 3 days of labor just for an estimate to get a repair. Also the check engine light has been on for 2 months when i took it to him he reset the light and said it might need an engine wiring harness. Now today he says it has a vacuum leak somewhere and the engine is running lean and that is what is causing it. MY Dealer is Yark Automotive in Toledo Ohio and they treat me like absolute crap. They act like I don't have a freaking clue. I do work on airplanes and do have a clue. They never call me with info about my repairs I had to call 3 times alone just today they never called. When they diagnosed the check engine light the last time with the decree that it may need and engine wire harness they never even called me. My brother picked up the car for me and I saw it on the paper work and had to call them. There service is a JOKE. I did not purchase the car from them and they treat me like crap even when the car was under warranty. I have the extended maintenance to 100,000 miles but that is just for oil changes. I just can't believe a car with 62,000 miles is having such transmission problems with no fault codes, needs an engine wiring harness, and needs a wiring harness for brake lights. This car is a piece of crap. Do you have any suggestions as to what might be causing all of this. It is almost as though I have pissed them off my service guys so they are doing whatever they can to DICK with me and run my bill up. I have to drive the car over 50 miles to get service there,but it is the closest dealer. I have had a lot of problems when it was under warranty but they just acted like they didn't really care. They would say things like well we looked at it and can't duplicate it or they are all like that. I have an old 93 dodge truck with 123,000 miles and it doesn't vibrate like this thing. Doesn't BMW really care about keeping it's clientelle. I can tell you your customer service at dealerships is so poor and there products are so unreliable I would not even think of buying another BMW. They just turn there heads like there are plenty of other people to sell to so why deal with the vehicles with problems. I am amazed at the lack of concern from BMW on the same consistent problems with the X5 that BMW knows it has but will not address.

Kraig N.
  • antonmirceaantonmircea Member Posts: 3
    your dealers know s..t about cars ... and you at bmw na do nothing about...my ses light was on i took the car in they said the problem was an oil leak and a fan..did the work ,charge me 1600 $ and as soon as i drove off the lot the light was back on ...took the car back and they said that they found the problem by exchanging my air flow sensor with a good one ...and it will be 558$ to fix...first of all do they have to change parts to see what the problem is ?...and second ..why do we have to pay for work that in my oppinion is not neccesary...at realyy high prices...because the bmw mechanincs are incompetent?
    i bought the same bosch air flow meter with 205 $ got it next day ..25 shipping...put it up myself ..1 scrue 4 clamps ..2 minutes...before you do that deconect the negative battery cable ..the hardest part of the job cause the battery is underneath the spare wheel..but anyway 558 is a bit much...
    see my other posts ...before i changed the air flow sensor(meter) my car stalled to ..you can get it from www.getcoolparts.com...for 205 dollars and free shipping ..i got it overnited for 25 $...same sensor bosch like i had in my car ..and it`s the same like land rover uses too..very easy to instal...disconect the negative battry terminal first...10 mintops job...
  • mzmtamzmta Member Posts: 1
    Hello all I was browsing around and found this forum and figured it could be quite helpful to me.This past Oct.05 I purchased a 2001 X5 3.0. with 68k miles I'm now up to 71K+(maybe 72 not sure) and the amber bar with a oil service warning have come on.I called and made a service appointment with the local BMW dealer for what I was told would be a oil service and I'm not entirely sure, OK I'm not sure at all what does it consist of and what I should expect.I would like to know if anyone would be so kind as to tell me or point me in the right direction with a few links for continued research before I get there? I'd like as much info as possible especially @285 bucks which I seem to think is kinda steep for just a oil and filter change but hey what do I know right now that's why I'm asking for help.. Also is it just me or is the engine really loud (hope it's not the engine)because it seems so loud to me upon acceleration like a real truck is it a quiet engine? I don't remember from my test drives.
  • lion2000lion2000 Member Posts: 22
    Without any warning, my 2001 X5 transmission shaft broke in the middle of an intersection. Looking at the mileage, 74,300 miles (no extended warranty).
    At the BMW dealer, I asked dealer to negotiate with the MFG rep. My positions are
    1. All major services are done at BMW dealer, all repair/service papers (a thick stack) are presented to the dealer. No service skipped.
    2. A loyal customer, previously owned BMW, wife also has a new BMW.
    3. Had Accura Legend for 8 years over 120K miles, no mechanical progblem at all. Paid a premium for a top quality product and do not expect such a major mechanical break down. Want BMW to take care the repair.

The word back is BMW will cover 25% of the total repair cost. I talked with some friends, they think BMW should pick up the whole thing, expecially when the shaft is covered inside of the transmission box, no other drive train repair was done previously. But the dealer refuse to do any further negotiation.

Anyone had related experience? What should I do besides agrees to picking up 75% of the repair? Thanks for your assistance.
    //leo
  • gaga4gaga4 Member Posts: 2
    Ceph...im in same boat...transmission fell out last year wiper probs now and the front axle about to break due to cracked front boots...its a crap car....over warranty its a bleeder.....trying to sell mine now....I had probs last year with Grady BMW in Mobile just morons...dealer in Pensacola Sandy Sansing a winner good people...real good people....now up north and car is falling apart .....
  • gaga4gaga4 Member Posts: 2
    my trans broke 117 miles over warranty BMW replaced entire transmission I was lucky..repair bill was still $850 but better than 4K....car is a lemon for me....
  • smartlis2smartlis2 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2005 4.4 with about 13500 miles and I am having some of the same problems. Did you get your problem resolved? I have taken it to the dealer and they said that they did something with the progamming but I am still experiencing the same problems.
    Thanks.
  • deephsdeephs Member Posts: 2
    Cephus,
    My SAV is under warranty and I am getting a lot of run arounds for Vibration, Moon roof problems.
    Onlu mechanical problem I had under 20,000 miles is ABS, ALL wheel Drive system and Hydraulic suspension went down all at same time.
    Dealer replaced the Suspension.
    NAV system went down. Delaer rewired the line and replaced the system.
    In terms of Vibration, they play dumb.
    I had to repeatedly visit the dealer 3 times for them to admit there is a problem with Moon roof and 5 visits later problem has gotten worse from rattle and squeaks to leak, yeap leaky moon roof. Sales Manager states that rattles and squeaks are known problem and I do not understand why it took 3 visits to admit there is a problem.

looks like BMW of NA is riding too high to value our business. They want to push customers away and the persistent customers get their problems looked at but there is no gurantee it will be fixed.

My personal finding is Certified techs are no better then pop mom shop G-monkey.

For those who are in need to replace their 255-55R18 tires on X5 4.4i with sports package go with Yoko Geolander G052.
    They are good in all weather condition and drive much better then stock B-Stone Turanza.

Make sure Balancing is done right.

On scale of 1-10 Yoko are 9.5 ( deducting .5 for balancing issue) and B-Stone Turanzas are 3.5.

BMW Prospects: Stop if you are thinking of Buying X5 or any BMW vehicles, they might be great in handling but will fail you over and over in reliability and service.

Final word from my dealer is that BMW cares less if you have 1 or million problems.

BMW is too busy doind ADs and propoganda on how good their vehicles are. Truth is they can't even come close to Lexus quality, reliability and value.

Its been a total waste of my money and time, I wish I never bought this crap and had stuck to Lexus.

15 trips and counting... do I need to say any more?

Cephus, I hope your problem is resolved by now.
    Next time you buy any new vehicle stick to Geico, they have Mechanical coverage costs about 25 / premium with 250 deductible.
    This repair would have been covered by GEICO.

Please note: I am not associated with BMW, Lexus or GEICO.
    I am just an Unfortunate BMW owner.

-Deep
  • deephsdeephs Member Posts: 2
    Give these issues serious attention and try to visit dealer consecutively do not pause this process... I am out of luck as I exceeded 18 months or 4 trips clause for my SAV to qualify as a lemon.
    You still have time take full advnatage and make sure get everything in writing on the owrk order no codes or gibbrish words.
    Refer to your local or state Lemon law.
    I wish I knew this piece of info in time.
    I am stuck with a Lemon.

BMW sucks!
  • lvlheaded1lvlheaded1 Member Posts: 1
    Read a couple of posts similar to this problem, but not quite exactly. I've had a recurring problem with water dripping down onto the front passenger side floor mat from the rear right corner (closest to door) of the glove compartment. Water is not leaking into the glove compartment at all. Rather its coming down part of the dash where the glove compartment is hinged, around that and onto the floor mat. Everything in the immediate vicinity is dry (like the fuse panel...whew!) except for the lip of the glove compartment on the right side, where it meets the dash when closed. I can't find any leaks around the door. I do have a sunroof, but can't see how a water leak there could find its way to my glove compartment. Is there a drain somewhere that I need to unclog? This happens only when its raining.

I'd appreciate any advice!

Thanks!
  • kellywarrenkellywarren Member Posts: 3
    Is this true. The service rep @ BMW of Dallas (formerly John Roberts BMW) says the car (X5 2002 3.0 w/ 20k miles only driven by my elderly mother) is designed to have the rotors changed every time the pads are changed. Rep says the pads are made of a soft metal that is designed to wear down with the pads. This sounds suspicious to me. Never heard of anything like this before. Is this true? Thanks for the help.

Kelly Warren
    Perhaps you misunderstood. Many modern cars mandate no "turning" of rotors IF...IF...they are scored or grooved. But you don't replace perfectly smooth, straight and clean rotors that are within specification.
    No. I have not misunderstood. I used to be a motorhead myself prior to my present incarnation. I've owned >100 cars myself in my 39 years, including several other German makes (although this and the other X5 (a 2004 4.4 w/ 20k which I consider to be my daily driver) are only the 4th and 5th BMWs that I've owned (had a couple of 3 series in the 80's as well as a 3.0csi before that).

According to the dealership (BMW of Dallas) every time that the pads are changed the rotors must also be changed. No exceptions. According to the service rep (Beth) the pads are designed to wear down into the metal of the rotors such that by the time the pads need to be changed, the metal surfaces of the rotors are damaged (by design) and thus the rotors themselves must also be replaced. To me this sounds like a load of cr-p. However, not having any experience w/ BMW in the last 16 years I am not 100% sure that this is not true. Let me restate again what I have been told: even if the rotors look good, they must still be replaced. I asked "what if I change the pads before they have damaged the rotors" and was told "no, the rotors will always have to be replaced because the pads by design are intended to cut into the surface of the rotors and you will never, ever have a rotor that does not need to be replaced after the car has undergone sufficient breaking to wear through the pads."

Let me also let you know that it was not me that dropped off the car but rather my elderly mom. I only found out that this work had been done after she phoned me this morning to say that the X5 was in the shop. I called BMW of Dallas after the fact and spoke with the service rep after the was done.

Now, to repeat my question for anyone with expertise in BMW brakes:

Do the rotors always need to be replaced when the pads or replaced or have I been fed a load of cr-p?

Thanks,

Kelly Warren
  • suv800suv800 Member Posts: 41
    Good Day Everyone:

I have the 2006 X5 4.4 for about 6 months now.
    Does anyone know why the 1st gear not accelerating at it top speed? When I at a fully stop, then step on gas, seems not moving well. But after about 3 seconds, it runs well on 2nd gear and on.
    Is it the problem with the 1st gear? or it needs a new updated firmware?
    Thanks
    William
  • citerinciterin Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2001 3.0 manual and since a rain storm in Boston noticed the exact problem you just had serviced.

BMW advised this is not covered under extended warranty; curious what you paid to have the water leak corrected?

Thanks
  • nyeanyea Member Posts: 12
    i agree with you 200%. you would think you are getting a better vehicle since you are paying a premium price for it. although my x5 has not having so many problems as yours, it is bad enough to be the 2nd worest vehicle i have ever had (the worest one is my 323i, i have spent over $5000 to repair so far). as far as reliability, german auto makers are the worest in comparison to the japanese and american. i guess they are simply overwhelmed by the hi-tech application in the auto industry. the bmw dealership and service are well below the luxary-car-dealership standards, and is the worest among all.
    i have to add 1 quart of oil for my x5 3.0i at an interval of 5000 miles when i purchased the vehicle new (of course, i was told by the dealer that it is normal). now the problem is getting worse - 1 quart every 1000 miles. my 2005 330xi started with the same problem. i have to assume that this would be a common problem for a lot of bmw owners, at least for those who own the 3-liter models? i don't remember i have ever added a drop of motor oil for any other non-bmw models i have or had, including my 1982 mb 380sl with 180,000 miles on it.
    i think for a situation such as yours you may want to consider seeking help from the dept of motor vehicle, or state attorney general. the state lemon laws may apply to your case.
  • rufuschambersrufuschambers Member Posts: 1
    I added a set of aftermarket 22" wheels / tires to my 2005 BMW X5 3.0 with sports package last week. The ride is noticeably different and at certain speeds, the steering wheel lightly shakes. The original wheels were 18". I had an alignment done and the front tires/wheels rebalanced and things have not improved. To make the ride smoother, what type of suspension upgrade options are available? Do I need to put on a set of upgraded brakes/rotors?
  • johncinmdjohncinmd Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with VOB service in Rockville Maryland. I recently had my second experience and it was a nightmare(again). My wife owns a Cadillac SRX and when she enters the service department she is treated like a valued customer. VOB is unorganized, arrogant, slow, and on par with what I would imagine KIA service to be. Is this standard for BMW or is it just VOB. I love this car but unless they fix this problem I will not buy another BMW.

Any thoughts on what BMW is doing to fix these problems? As an example Cadillac washes and vacuums my wifes car when she brings it in for routine maintenance. VOB did none of this and left trash(temp floor mats and plastic on the seat) in the car. The Cadillac dealer has teams that a customer is assigned to(same as BMW). But if there is a line of 5 people for a team another team member takes the customer. BMW Service reps were more interested in discussing the NBA game the prior evening.

It took me 55 minutes to get in and out of the service department that was not very busy...
  • kscctsksccts Member Posts: 140
    Must be your dealership...my dealer in TN, Grayson BMW, is outstanding. Car is washed and vacuumed with every service and in/out is very quick.
  • heslerhesler Member Posts: 2
    Recently I took my 2004 x5 to Otto's BMW in West Chester PA for vibration on floor/gas peddle which occurs every time I go up a hill at 40-45 mph 2000rpm- more of a fluttering like the car is underpowered. They told me to step on the peddle to avoid it. Only problem is I live in a Police State where they patrol that hill every day. They said they felt the problem too, but gave me no answers on how to fix it other than break the law by speeding. UNBELIEVABLE.
  • stc1stc1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 X5 4.4. If I am sitting on a hill at a dead stop and push the gas, the transmission clunks and jerks the whole car. It feels like the rear end just fell out. Took to dealership twice, they think it is my imagination. Is there a fix?
    I've got a 2004 X5 with 4.4. This also happens to me from time to time. First time it happened I thought somebody hit me from behind. If you search the internet you will find that this is a known problem among X5 owners, seems to be more common with 4.4. No known fix. No BMW dealership is every able to find the cause (or so it seems based on the posts of X5 owners. BMW of Dallas (aka John Roberts BMW) is unable to identify any flaw. If you find out what the problem is then please let me know. Otherwise, and most probably, you are just going to have to live with it.
    Kelly Warren
  • davidinuticadavidinutica Member Posts: 3
    I put my 2003 530 (E39) in storage every winter and drive a 2001 X5 (4.4).

I use a BMW (trickle) Charger which plugs into the 110v wall outlet and the 12v socket in the dash. After three winters of use, I have never had a dead battery and it always starts the first time in the sprine. I highly recommend this charger which I purchased from my BMW dealer. It has an easy to understand interface - if the light is green all is well.

I am glad to report that my experience with both vehicles has been excellent - the 530 has had no problems whatsoever, and with the X-5 (75k miles) overall problems have been minimal, and mostly under warranty.

I am going out to look at a 2006 X-5 replacement today.

The BMW service department at my local Dealer here in Utica, NY, "Don's Ford/BMW", has been excellent. The sales people are great as well.
    Hi Kelly!

Yes, it is true that BMW rotors must be replaced/changed when changing the pads. This is because the rotors do not have enough material to be "turned" as they used to be years ago, due to tight tolerances.

Other issues may be warping of the rotors if they are not turned correctly or the effect of heat (during braking)over time.

In general, I question whether rotors could be manufactured "thicker" initially to allow turning when the pads need replacing.

I am not sure whether this is a ploy
    to (1) sell more rotors, (2) because there is a actual bonafide reason, or (3) there isn't enough money in turning rotors, (4) it has become an environmental/health issue for the shop technicians doing the "turning" of rotors.

I suspect that it may be a little of each.

One thing to consider in all of this is that cost is only an issue for BMW vehicles that are "Out of Warranty" - this is a "covered" charge for "In Warranty."

Hope that this answers your question.
    A standard oil/filter change for an X5 4.4 (8 quarts of BMW Synthetic Oil + Filter) at a BMW dealer should be around $90.00-100.00, plus tax, depending on the shop's hourly service rate.

My advise: Ask what else they are changing/servicing for $285. If they tell you that it is only for oil and a filter, go elsewhere.
  • mwfkmwfk Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 X5 4.4i, I had the same problem when I first got the car. The first time, my dealer reset the software for the transmission and it works for a while and happened again. The second time, they re-problem the software again and it seems to be ok now.

Hope this help.
  • mrickeymrickey Member Posts: 2
    Well, Last week I purchase a brand-new 2006 x5 3.0. Absolutely love it, beautiful car. And this is what I have always wanted. Well, 6 days later it's being towed because the battery is dead. The service people replaced the battery saying it was faulty. But I noticed that my bluetooth was ALWAYS on--27/7--, even if the car was off. In fact it found my cel phone even if I was out in my back yard, FAR from the car. Well the dealer fixed it so when the car is off the bluetooth shuts off now as well. Do you think that this could have been the source of the drain, or am in for a "long and winding road" with this SAV??
  • sanjab_x5sanjab_x5 Member Posts: 2
    :mad:

Hello All

I am new to these boards, but have enjoyed reading many of your posts. I recently purchased (2 weeks ago) a new BMW X5 4.4i (2006). I love the car, HOWEVER, I am concerned about the gas mileage I am getting with it. On the window sticker it shows the mileage as "16 / 22", however every time I fill up (24 gallons of premium petrol) I am only able to drive 290ish miles, before the yellow fuel tank indicator light goes on. I drive for maybe 10 miles, then refuel, (it takes another 24 gallons) and the same thing happens.

I live in Los Angeles, and at least half of the miles I drive are on the freeway with a average speed of 65 - 70 MPH. I know I should be getting at LEAST a good 450 miles per fillup, and I don't know what I should do.

I am spending oodles of $$$ every 4 days putting fuel in the car, and I feel that BMW has not truthfully disclosed this car's fuel efficiency. If I would have known that I was going to get 13 miles per gallon I would have not bought the V8, and would have settled for the V6.

Can someone please tell me what my options are, and what I should do? Shall I go to the dealership, and if so, what should I say? No joke, this care is costing me a lot of money.

Any help would be appreciated,

Sanjab
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Sanjab,

I copied one of your posts to the X3 & X5:MPG - Real World Numbers" discussion. Be sure to check it out to find what others are getting.

tidester, host
  • re1985re1985 Member Posts: 3
    I am the second owner (I acquired at 44,500 miles) of a 2001 BMW X5 and suspect that I have blown my engine. I have 63,000 miles on it and do NOT drive the vehicle aggressively. My wife was driving when she noticed that, when stopped at a traffic light, it sounded as if it was going to stall. The light turned green, she push the accelerator, the x5 responded normally, she drove it 3/4 of a mile and parked it at a store (at this time it appeared to be operating properly). When she came out of the store and started the x5 she heard a loud continuous clunking and clanking noise within the engine compartment and immediately turned the car off. When I arrived I noticed a pool of oil (1ft x 2ft) under the car. There were never any warning lights on the instrument panel and I just had an oil change 4000 miles ago..

I am going to plan for the worst and hope for the best. However, if I have to replace the engine (3.0 L), what can I expect to pay for this at the BMW dealership. I live in the Detroit area and may consider have the engine rebuilt (if necessary) at an independent shop. As far as vehicle re-sale is concerned, would it be better to have a brand new out-of-the-box factory engine installed from the dealership, or a have my engine rebuilt, for less money, at an independent shop??? When I sell (who knows when now) will somebody be more likely to pay more money for an x5 with a new dealer installed engine as opposed to something rebuilt??? Help!!!
  • heslerhesler Member Posts: 2
    I don't know if this may help, but I heard on a car radio talk show someone with the same problem. They said maybe the temp gauge was defective , telling the car it needs to send thru more gas to cool the engine. Worth a try.
    I would say either new engine (which is going to be VERY expensive) or a used engine installed by the dealer. I don't think many if any shops WOULD rebuild that engine and it might not be much cheaper if they do. At least a new engine has a factory warranty whereas an independent rebuild gets dicey if it breaks---was it the machine shop's fault, the mechanic's fault who put it together, or the installer's fault?

Maybe the engine isn't totally trashed, that's possible too. Sometimes things like broken water pumps make a hell of a racket.
    Thank you very much for your response. At the time that I wrote my question; I was frustrated and waiting to hear back from the BMW dealership (not to mention hours away from leaving on, or postponing, our vacation). Indeed, you know your X5's... It was exactly what you thought it could be. According to the dealer repair invoice:
    "The water pump bearing failed causing the belts to break and wrap around the crankshaft pulley, hence the clunking sound. The lack of coolant in the reservoir (vapor causes the jugs to fail) Replaced the coolant water pump. Coolant Jug (reservoir), the A/C belt, Alternator belt and the plastic fan which was damaged during the ordeal."
    Total cost: $917.17 Not fun, but not as bad as I thought. Thanks again for your help!!
    phew! lucky you! Yeah, it kinda sounded like catastrophic water pump failure.
    I'll say... Thanks again for your help.
    Two more questions...
    1)What are your thoughts on using "mid-grade" gasoline versus the recommended "premium"? 2) The dealership charges $100 (maybe $110) for an "Oil Service" appointment. They record the service appointment on BMW's computer network so that the car service history is shown as consistent. I know that I can get an synthetic oil change for $55 at a national chain (non-BMW) maintainance shop. Is is worth trying to save $50 at the national chain, or do the BMW dealerships add that much more value (expertise/knowledge of the vehicle) for their higher price? PS: If I'm only paying the $55 at the national chain, I will probably be more likely to have the oil changed every 8,000-10,000 miles instead of the 15,000 mile BMW recommendation.
  • suv2006suv2006 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2nd 2001 X5, i don't know if its normal for the air con fan to operate on its own ? when we turn on the engine the fan will sometimes blow strongly and then turn itself down and then suddenly its blowing strongly again. This will continue for a few minutes and it will stop, is this a function of temperture control ?
    Also when we turn off the engine, the air con fan will run on its own on and off for an hour ! can anyone help me out ? i am very confused.....
    thanks!
    You can try mid-grade fuel and see how the car responds. The engine management system will adjust for any change in octane anyway...at worst you might notice a slight drop in performance and or fuel mileage, but maybe not. It really depends on how critically the BMW engineers have designed the engine for premium fuel. But no harm in trying and you might get away with no ill effects whatsoever.

As for oil changes...while you are in warranty, I would definitely go to the dealer. If the chain store screws something up, the BMW dealer has a loop hole for denying your warranty claims...$50 bucks on a $10,000 engine seems not worth the risk to me. There are better ways to save $$ by avoiding the dealer, like buying tires or batteries, etc.
  • corlt1corlt1 Member Posts: 29
    I wonder what the pads and rotors are made out of. I recently read that the Lexus GS-430 with the performance package has ceramic brakes that require the same rotor and brake pad change at around 20k miles (depending on how hard the driver is on brakes).
  • armendwarmendw Member Posts: 2
    I too experienced the same problem with my X5. When I took the vehicle into the dealer they knew right away what it was and said it is a pretty common occurance. There is a resistor in the fan circuit that gets weak, which causes the fan to act eratic. It was a $120 dollar repair.
  • armendwarmendw Member Posts: 2
    My service light came on so I made the dreaded trip to the repair shop to find out what it was. They (not a BMW dealer but competent foreign shop)said the test pulled three things; thermostat - weak apparently not opening at the right temperature, a crank shaft monitor & an emmissions monitor all need to be replaced. Does this sound right? What should I expect for cost of this repair?
    hmmmm...maybe not quite right...the "codes" just indicate the circuit or system wherein the problem lies, not the actual defective component. Three codes don't mean three bad things.
  • teamyonexteamyonex Member Posts: 42
    Take it to the dealer. This philosophy might cost you in the short term but will save you grief and money in the long term. Dealers seem to be the only ones that can take consistent care of these vehicles.
  • reeffreeff Member Posts: 5
    I'd like to get some feedback as to what to do on my X5 3.0 as the warranty will be ending in april of 2007.

I have two options:

- Purchase extended warranty : Who would you recommend I go through and what would it cost?

- Trade in/sell vehicle and obtain a lease on a X5.

It is my wife's vehicle and she would like a new X5 however I'm not sure what it would cost me. I reside in Naperville, Illinois.

Any thoughts or recommendations?