Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Scion xB Engine Problems

Comments

• debatingdebating Member Posts: 14
    Just heard the analysis from the Toyota service dept. today. The part has to be ordered in. Nothing to inspect at this time. I want to see the part after it's replaced.

I am assuming that this is tied into Toyota's variable valve timing. Just speculation on my part.

But this just looks like the same junk engineering that has brought the domestics to the doorstep of bankruptcy.

I'm an oldtimer, owned many cars and trucks, a semi even. And never have I
    had a camshaft fail. Never had an engine fail, except for the semi and those were normal rebuilds with many miles. Switchgear, sensors maybe, but nothing internal.

I gave up on the domestics because of half engineered and unreliable products, And no support whatsoever from the corporation after you bought the product. At this time, I would say the Toyota Scion is no better in those regards than the domestics were when I quit buying their products. This is an internal engine part that failed, not a sensor or some such.

What happened to the Toyota's like the late eighties model my daughter owned that she ran for over twelve or so years with just basic maintenance? Now I see reviews where Ford is now matching Toyota for quality. I hope they do better that that.
  • beancountantbeancountant Member Posts: 34
    Attention: Kcram, the Manual requires a 5W-20 motor oil. Can I use 5W-30 in the summer or even winter? Why did Toyota switched to his lower viscosity oil? Common knowledge is that the lower viscosity offers less protection against wear although they offer better energy conservation. :)
  • hondadave7hondadave7 Member Posts: 27
    Everybody that has an automobile. If you have any kind of starting, idle, or running
    problems, 1st thing you do is check the fuel for the % of Ethanol. In this area Texas
    Ethanol has been found in only 1 case too be 100%. It has been discovered in other cases from 18% to 27%. No matter what Obamas EPA tells us, our cars were not built to run on more than 10% Ethanol. Check The Ethanol 1st---Before you spend any other money. David
  • zsarazanzsarazan Member Posts: 1
    Ohhh yeah. I'm having the same issues, and it seems like every time I bring it in, it stops happening. I've told them multiple times to check the fuel injector and scan the entire fuel system but they refuse. As of right now, they are ordering parts for it. I don't know what, but as long as it's under warranty, they can do what they want. Tell them to scan the fuel system and check fuel pumps and all that junk. If they refuse, tell them you want a new car. I also will never buy a toyota again. Piece of crap!
  • rgreen74rgreen74 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 06' XB brand new with 7 miles on it. I've never had any major issues with it until recently. I noticed what almost sounded like a scraping sound in the engine block. When I took it into get an oil change the mechanic there told me, he didnt think it was anything major, that it was probably just a rusted part (from the winter salt) and that it would probably work itself loose. The sound did stop after 2 days. Then about a week later it started again, except now it was really loud and I was in rush hour traffic. As I was moving along, every single light on my dashboard lit up and before i could even get to the opposite shoulder it died on me. DOA.... I had it towed to my mechanic and he told me that the timing chain snapped and that my engine was ceased, and that a new motor would run me around 3 G's. My question is; Is this covered under the drivetrain warranty? I have 50k miles on it. I was reading that the standard warranty is 3yr 36k standard and a 5yr 60k drivetrain? Is that correct? I cant seem to get a hold of anyone at Toyota to answer my question (imagine that).
  • ashcarrashcarr Member Posts: 1
    Okay .. I need help. I dont know what to do .... I not much on cars so i bought my scion in april of 2008 brand new .... Now I have about 28k miles on the car. I notice the car is making a noise when im in drive or reverse and my foot is sitting on the brake ... like a rattling or knocking and its loud .. then it goes away and probably the next day or week it makes that same noise... What should i do ? Do i take the car to the dealership ? What do i tell them ?
  • freedlebeetlefreedlebeetle Member Posts: 2
    This is the third time this has happened: I start up my 2008 xb- I start the car, disengage the parking brake and my dash lights display the following: parking brake light is still active, power steering emergency light is on, VSC off light is on, the light for the airbag is on. I have no power steering or power brakes. My odometer stutters on the display and them will not activate, my speedometer will not work. The first time I took it in they thought I was crazy. The second time I took a pic with a digital camera and showed them. They un-plugged and re-plugged in the computer. I am waiting to hear what they will do the third time around.
  • xbnoxxbnox Member Posts: 2
    Hi I seem to have the same experince that you are having with your XB I went to dealer they could not help because it dosent happen for them . I hope their is more people with this issue so some thing could be done about it My XB has 34500 miles and this knock/vibriation is a real puzzeler !
  • xbnoxxbnox Member Posts: 2
    wow my xb was making that knocking noise just recently i discovered that engine/car hood rubber cushions were out of adjustment try adjusting them they seem to shrink a little over time. : :surprise:
  • tajg003tajg003 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 08 Scion Xb as well and I've had issues with the power steering twice now. The light will turn out sparatically.... On for a few weeks where I can't drive normally because the power steering is no longer working correctly, then it just turned off my itself as mysteriously as it had turned on... That happened twice. Just recently my check engine light lit up out of nowhere as well as the VSC off light.. It remained that way for about 2 weeks (I was watching it to see it will turn off as randomly as it turned on) and sure enough, this morning my dash board is clean of any lights.... I'm taking my car in asap. Something is up with the computers on that car.
  • freedlebeetlefreedlebeetle Member Posts: 2
    Supposedly there was a TSB for the computer issue, but I am not sure what the TSB number is. My dealership was very kind in fixing the problem, after the third time and I have not had any issues since. It appears as if there was a problem with a module and very cold weather...
  • mrs2010mrs2010 Member Posts: 7
    I have started a class action law suite against Toyota Corp. & Scion Corp. Because all of there cars consume oil, They know about it and when the consumer asks the question they say, "look in your service manual" and there it is in black and white "this car consumes oil' They recommend that you check your oil every time you fill your car up with gas. My car is a 2008 Toyota Scion XB, with 47000 miles on it now and it is consumming about 3 quarts every 5000 miles and the Toyota corp says " it's with in our standards" Which doesn't make any sence in 2010.

But in your case, please check your oil first! But it could be a simple heat shield or one of the splash shields could be falling off, lord knows how many times those shields have falling off on us. Look under the car see inf there is a shield hanging. I'm a mechanic by trade & Own and opperate my own company. Check out MatthewsRoadService.com
    Keep in touch with us, Oh ya one other thing if you don't know your car is consumming oil , when you have your oil changed ask them to measure the oil that comes out of the engine. The XB takes 4 quarts of oil, 4 quarts go in 4 should come out in a normal running engine. But when the dealer did the last oil change, 1.25 quarts came out, and I put 2 quarts in it a month prior to that change. :(
    I have started a class action law suite against Toyota Corp. & Scion Corp. Because all of there cars consume oil, They know about it and when the consumer asks the question they say, "look in your service manual" and there it is in black and white "this car consumes oil' They recommend that you check your oil every time you fill your car up with gas. My car is a 2008 Toyota Scion XB, with 47000 miles on it now and it is consumming about 3 quarts every 5000 miles and the Toyota corp says " it's with in our standards" Which doesn't make any sence in 2010.
    Do you check your oil on a regular basis? These cars consume oil on a regular basis, look at your service manual, under oil consumption. I got pretty pissed off when the dealer told me that. So I am collection names, addresses and phone numbers to produce to a lawer to wack toyota with a reality wack! Let me know, Matt
    possible crank sensor needs to be replaced.
    I have started a class action law suite against Toyota Corp. & Scion Corp. Because all of there cars consume oil, They know about it and when the consumer asks the question they say, "look in your service manual" and there it is in black and white "this car consumes oil' They recommend that you check your oil every time you fill your car up with gas. My car is a 2008 Toyota Scion XB, with 47000 miles on it now and it is consumming about 3 quarts every 5000 miles and the Toyota corp says " it's with in our standards" Which doesn't make any sence in 2010. Have you check your oil lately? You should check it every time you fill your car with gas.
    Keep in touch with me, I'll add your complaint to the rest of them. Also check your service manual under engine oil consumption! See what it says, Unfortunatly its not good and its not right. Write your congressman office and complain to them also write a letter to your Attorney Generals office in your state. My letter just went out about two weeks ago. They will responed!
    I have started a class action law suite against Toyota Corp. & Scion Corp. Because all of there cars consume oil, They know about it and when the consumer asks the question they say, "look in your service manual" and there it is in black and white "this car consumes oil' They recommend that you check your oil every time you fill your car up with gas. My car is a 2008 Toyota Scion XB, with 47000 miles on it now and it is consumming about 3 quarts every 5000 miles and the Toyota corp says " it's with in our standards" Which doesn't make any sence in 2010. Have you checked your Oil lately ?

Contact your local States congressman, all of them! Also write your complaint to your states Attorney General, Lets get the word out about these engine issues, I'll never buy another Toyota or Scion for that matter!
  • sciontrappersciontrapper Member Posts: 12
    I am slightly worried. My 2005 Scion with 160,000 miles on it, didn't start right up as usual today. It coughed sputtered engaged, tried, then died. Started fine on the second crank, however, and ran fine. I just made a quarter mile trip to the store, then back. And yikes, it had heated up badly. Radiator water level fine.

I'm worried. Any ideas? I'm out of dough. Just had the windshield replaced for $199 cash and the brakes done, badly I might add, at a cheapo shop I shouldnt have used. So I'm out of cash, dead broke and I don't want a dead Scion that's for sure, because I need it to live (get to store, do my job, etc).

Thoughts on the matter, mechanics out there? I read on the list somewhere, ethanol might be to blame. Well, when they upped the percentage sure did lower my mileage by about two to three mpg. Darn it. But I never have had starting problems ever before. I had it to a shop month and a half ago, to change tran fluid, check everything out. He told me the switch is stuck in the window, the open close the window switch, and he was supposed to order the replacement part but hasn't. Maybe it's draining the battery. But it sounded more like the engine was coughing, not getting enough air or gas, straining, made some wierd little cut short sucking sounds, too. Didn't like hearing that. If I'm driving and hear bad car engine sounds, i turn up the radio, but I hadn't gotten out of the garage yet.
  • sciontrappersciontrapper Member Posts: 12
    I have had that sound periodically too, ever since I got the scion. I have no idea what that's about. I even recorded it once. Doesn't seem to have affected the running of the car, since mine now has 160k miles on it, but it still does it, not that often but usually in reverse. Someone else told me that's normal when the engine isn't warm, or to use lower number engine oil. But, well, I got used to the sound and try to ignore it best I can, when it happens. Nothing bad has happened because of it, in all these years I have driven mine to death. Not that I know of anyhow.
    With 160,000 miles, have you ever changed your thermostat? Don't fool with it, install a new thermostat, Start it in your driveway and carefully watch your temperature gauge. If it gets close to "HOT" cut-off the engine. Aluminum block engines can't stand very much extended temperature. David
  • crazedcommutercrazedcommuter Member Posts: 281
    I agree. Replace the thermostat asap. It's a cheap fix. My 05 has 103k on it with zero issues although my daughter now drives it only 2k a year now. I put 35k/yr on it the 1st 2 years before I found a carpool. One of the best cars I ever owned.
  • boxen06boxen06 Member Posts: 2
    I know that this is a dead post.. but I could not HELP but correct some inaccuracies!! If you are not correctly informed on what is wrong with your car, then you have no business commenting on it. The 1.5l motor in the early xb's is a variable valve timing motor - like what honda and toyota have been using for many many years. For Toyota is is VVT-i, Honda it is VTEC. Domestic manufacturers are only just now manufacturing 4 cylinders with this technology.

Basically, the timing is variable, and changes - its dependent on the car's oil pressure. Its ingenious and sounds complicated but works relatively simply. The oil pressure switch communicates the pressure to the variable timing gear (your failed part, in this case) and that gear adjusts the timing for the best performance and/or fuel economy. Its amazing!

I bought a used 06 scion xb with 40 k miles and had this VVT-i gear fail on me as well. It is a common problem on SOME early - mid 2000 model toyota 4cylinders, and normally fails when the vehicle is within its powertrain warranty coverage. The problem lies when someone ignores their check engine light, or takes it to an inferior mechanic who replaces the wrong parts (like ignition coils? wtf? never had one of those fail on these cars..) and the problem continues, unheeded until it is past warranty coverage. Mine was covered free of charge, on a saturday, by my local 'stealership'.

Even if you are past your warranty coverage, it is NOT a HUGE job. This car is pretty easy to work on. The VVT-i gear is just one of the timing chain gears. The side cover comes off, you change the gear, (i think it may be on the end of the camshaft?) maintain correct timing, put it back together. voila. Book labor time is 4.8 hours. I have seen much worse cars...

Every car has a common problem, a slight weakness from factory, and this is the only one I have found on this car so far, It may seem dramatic to some - but trust me, i have seen FAR, FAR worse... I love this car. It is an economy car, sure, but i love, love, LOVE it.. and it has served me very well. It isn't for everyone, though!

(...I have also personally seen some valve timing issues on the early model honda elements as well...)

Another note, since I have seen a few other people mentioning coils.. DO YOUR SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE!!!!!!!!! This car needs the spark plugs changed every 30k miles. It is factory equipped with copper resistor plugs and they do not last very long. Do not, by any means, EVER, replace the plugs with platinum or iridium instead. The ignition system is designed to run on a resistor. Your car will run rougher and get less gas mileage with a different composition plug. Also, the stock plug is an NGK v-power copper. I highly recommend!!!

Your welcome;
    - your friendly, informative, Automotive Service Adviser,
    Candace
  • inaboxinabox Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    I am the owner of a 2008 Scion XB.. I am experiencing oil consumption. I took the vehicle to the dealership and they are telling me that because I didn't get oil changes done thru them .. they can't help me with the problem. My vehicle was brand new when I purchased it and I have read thru al the paperwork and there is nothing in the papers that state oil changes have to be done thru the dealership.. They want $5900.00 to replace the short block in car.. How can this fair.. Why doesn't toyota stand behind their vehicles... Maybe a recall since they know this is an issue with these cars... Anyone else have same problem?
    It seem like everyone has the same issue of Oil Consumption. I contacted my local Senitor John Kerry, last year. Via by letter, one of his pions called me and said they were going to open up a Federal Investagation on Oil Consumption... Well I guess that never happened is what I found out resently. This is a Federal concern, so I'm going to ask you to call and wright your local senitors and ask them to open up a federal investagation on Oil Consumption! It's not right that we all have to take such serious losses, we took a full loss on our Brand new 2008 Scion XB, biggest piece of crap I have ever bought! Since getting rid of it I have boughten two Chevy van I'm pleased with. I would also contact a local mechanic to do the engine job and buy a used block since they all use oil! That would be the way I would deal with the fix. After the fix get rid of it, trade it sell it what ever! Good luck & please keep me informed, Matthew
  • isiso11isiso11 Member Posts: 17
    I have a 2008 XB I am having the same problem with oil consumption …the oil light barley flickered once and luckily I checked the oil and it was 3 quarts low! I can't believe this! I have over 2 years of payments left on this car! This is the worse problem I have had but not the first …last year the air bag harness went bad but was covered under the warranty ..last month the electronic steering went bad but was not and it cost me $750!!! This car truly is a piece of junk and in light of this I will never buy another Toyota product again. This was my second toyota my first was a corolla which lasted 10 years with zero problems and is probably still running somewhere…I sold it as I wanted a new car …big mistake! Everyone having these problems needs to complain about this so maybe they will be recalled and not a total loss…cause I for one cannot afford to just put a new engine in or buy a new car! Please call your Toyota/Scion headquarters to report these problems 1-866-707-2466
    Yeah well guess what the xb 08 is recalled right now for what……Ignition coils! Cant believe what a piece of crap this car has turned out to be! But the worst of it is the extreme oil consumption. Shame on Toyota. PLEASE everyone call and complain about these cars if you have issues 1-866-453-6667 something must be done!!!
    I realize this post was a while ago..wondering what came of your problem…I have the following : I have a 2008 XB I am having the same problem with oil consumption …the oil light barley flickered once and luckily I checked the oil and it was 3 quarts low! I can't believe this! I have over 2 years of payments left on this car! This is the worse problem I have had but not the first …last year the air bag harness went bad but was covered under the warranty ..last month the electronic steering went bad but was not and it cost me $750!!! This car truly is a piece of junk and in light of this I will never buy another Toyota product again. This was my second toyota my first was a corolla which lasted 10 years with zero problems and is probably still running somewhere…I sold it as I wanted a new car …big mistake! Everyone having these problems needs to complain about this so maybe they will be recalled and not a total loss…cause I for one cannot afford to just put a new engine in or buy a new car! Please call your Toyota/Scion headquarters to report these problems 1-866-707-2466
  • dvlv2012dvlv2012 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2008 xB, 80K miles :mad: . My oil light is going on now if I don't check every 1500 miles. It's a nightmare. I'll never buy a Scion again.
    Please call the number in my previous post to complain..if everyone does hopefully it will make a difference.
  • hbgti1hbgti1 Member Posts: 16
    Toyota released a TSB for oil consumption on Nov 11, 2011, but it only covers toyota models.

Hopefully they do the right thing and include Scions which use the same 4cyl 2AZ-FE motor.

Here's a summary of the TSB (notice they loosened their acceptable standard for oil usage from 1qt/600miles to 1qt/1200miles; still a lot IMO, but hopefully enough to satisfy the owners of cars with excessive oil consumption):

T-SB-0094-11 on Nov 11th, 2011:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Some 2006 – 2011 model year vehicles equipped with the 2AZ-FE engine may exhibit engine oil consumption. The piston assembly has been changed to minimize oil consumption. Use the following repair procedure to address this condition."

YEAR(S) MODEL(S) ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
    2007 – 2011 Camry HV, Engine(s): 2AZ, VDS(s): BB3EK, BB46K
    2007 – 2009 Camry, Engine(s): 2AZ, VDS(s): BE46K
    2009 Corolla, Engine(s): 2AZ, VDS(s): BE40E
    2009 Matrix, Engine(s): 2AZ, VDS(s): GE40E, KE40E, LE40E
    2006 – 2008 RAV4, Engine(s): 2AZ, VDS(s): BD31V, BD32V, BD33V, BD34V, BD35V, ZD31V, ZD32V, ZD33V, ZD34V, ZD35V
    2007 – 2008 Solara, Engine(s): 2AZ, VDS(s): CE30P

Inspection Procedure

NOTE
    In some cases, a P030# (cylinder # misfire detected) DTC may also be set as a result of oil consumption.
    Perform an oil consumption test to determine the consumption rate.
    1. Confirm the engine oil level is full.
    2. Mark the oil dipstick to indicate the current level.
    3. Replace the oil dipstick.
    4. Mark the oil dipstick, oil drain plug, and oil fill cap to prevent/indicate tampering during the test.
    HINT
    Use tape, sealer, cable ties, or equivalent to mark the oil dipstick, oil drain plug, and oil fill cap.
    5. Advise the customer to drive the vehicle normally for 1,200 miles and return for inspection.
    6. Determine the quantity of oil that was consumed in 1,200 miles.
    Was the oil level more than 1 quart low after 1,200 miles of normal driving?

YES — Go to the Repair Procedure.

NO — This TSB does NOT apply. Warranty guideline for acceptable oil consumption is 1 quart per 1,200 miles of operation. No warranty claim should be filed.
  • just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    edited December 2011
    I will call the numbers listed above, but won't hold my breath.

My 2008 xB uses about 1 qt. every 2500 miles and it has been getting worse! If Toyota won't fix this problem owners of the cars affected will take a large hit when trying to sell.

Stay away from the cars listed in the above TSB and all Scion xb's second generation 2.4 engine.

Still haven't received my RECALL letter about the bad ignition coils!
    My XB was in the shop at Toyota when they were trying to make sure it was not leaking oil....when they found that it was not leaking obviously burning it....they told me to call Scion headquarters. I called to tell them of all my problems with this car which started with an airbag problem (was under warranty at time) but would have cost $1,200), then the electronic steering went ($750) , then oil light went on and had next to no oil in it 1,000 miles before next oil change was due! While I was on the phone with Scion they told me of the ignition coil recall so Toyota service department fixed it while my car was still there...that was 3 weeks ago...but I did finally receive that recall letter yesterday 12-14-11. Guess I was one of the first to have that fixed. But that is peanut's next to this oil burning issue.....Toyota made me drive 1,000 miles then measured my oil ...they said it was burning half a quart about every 1,000 miles but said to call scion back to see if they would fix it under this good will thing the repair is 2,700 and basically includes rebuilding the engine! But guess what scion said it is not considered excessive!!! And they will not fix it! I am mortified! How can they sell these cars with out warning people that they will be burning oil at a certain point...it is completely preposterous!!! This is 2011 and it is not normal for new cars to burn oil! So we are now stuck checking oil every week and adding about 2 and a half quarts every 5,000 miles! Give me a freaken break! I cannot believe this and this means war to me! Toyota used to be a great company and make a great car but ...but NO more! I have over 2 years worth of payments on this car! Please call them and voice your complains for as long as it takes if everyone comes forward maybe something will be done! You can also call your local congressmens office , the attorney general, and consumer affairs.....we really need to fight this! I am not rich and cant afford to just run out and buy another car! Shame on Toyota...I will never but another one!
    1 quart of oil per 1,200 miles is insane and not normal!!!!!!!!!! This is 2011 for god sakes...how the hell can they get away with this utter [non-permissible content removed]! Shame on Toyota they have went totally down hill...I will never buy another one! My dad still has his 1979 Ford van with 400,000 miles on it and it does not burn that much oil ! Everyone with this problem needs to come forward and complain...make some calls....they cant ignore all of us. Its only a matter of time before someone forgets to add the oil every 1,200and blows their engine ! rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    So what happened with the law suite ??....I am having this problem now and would like to battle Toyota! Cars should not burn oil in this day and age ! Toyota is on CRACK! I am furious!
  • hbgti1hbgti1 Member Posts: 16
    I researched the oil consumption on the Internet further and found that Scion did release a TSB at the same time as Toyota. Scion TSB #SB002411 follows exactly word for word as the Toyota TSB (a few posts back) except it list the following Scion models: 07-09 TC and 08-09 xB.

If you Google "Toyota 2az oil consumption" you'll find several forums (some with 100's of posts) that discuss this issue. Unfortunately, from what I've gleaned from reading through all the posts, Toyota/Scion is sticking to their standard of 1quart burned/1200 miles within their 5yr/60k mile warranty period. Very few will hit this rate below 60k; it seems as though a majority of the higher oil burning engines are over 80k. Maybe if Toyota/Scion gets more pressure it will extend the coverage of this TSB to 7yr/100k (this sounds more fair to me).

I have about 8 months left until my warranty expires, so I'll be keeping a close eye on my dipstick. My current rate of oil consumption is 1qt/2000mi.

Hope this helps someone out there. Post any add'l info if found. Thanks
    My 2008 scion XB has 80k and I first noticed the problem around 70k. My solution has been to get my oil changed every 3,000 so I don't have to worry too much about it although I do check the oil every 300 miles another solution I was thinking of was to switch to a heavier oil instead of the recommended 0-20/5-20 I was thinking of switching to 5-30 at my next oil change and to see if that makes a difference. I still say Toyota should do something about this and as you say as more people get higher in miles and come out with this problem....maybe they will be forced to do something! My car also does not get as good gas mileage as it is supposed to. Shame on Toyota this will be my last! Switching to Hyundai they have much better warranties.
  • xbme2xbme2 Member Posts: 9
    ck'd oil in 08 xb (only 21,000 mi) after seeing this, smelled like gas...had it changed and next day had gas smell again! called service mgr, said its normal...just wondering, if anybody else is ckg theirs, if you touch oil on dipstick does it have gas smell? gotta admit, first time I've ever done it so I really don't know what it's suppose to smell like...and don't really trust Toyota now. TIA. (I change mine/3 mo)
    That is funny about the gas smell because i thought the same thing.....I mentioned it to Toyota during one of my oil changes...they said they did not notice it! I did ask a friend though who knows cars and he said the oil smelled normal so maybe that is how it is supposed to smell or maybe we are on to something here! Gas in the oil would indicate a major engine problem....could it be that all these engines in all of the cars with the same motor are defective!
    That is funny about the gas smell because i thought the same thing.....I mentioned it to Toyota during one of my oil changes...they said they did not notice it! I did ask a friend though who knows cars and he said the oil smelled normal so maybe that is how it is supposed to smell or maybe we are on to something here! Gas in the oil would indicate a major engine problem....could it be that all these engines in all of the cars with the same motor are defective!
    I got copy of TSB from dealer and it says applies to cars BEFORE these vins:

xb: JTLKE50E#91077956

tc: JTKDE167#90286965

my xb vin is below number listed, Srv Mgr said extended warr will cover if I've kept up service.
  • surewdsurewd Member Posts: 1
    there is actually an issue with the oil and the engine and if you have it under your warrenty i would advise to get this taken care of right away as it can be extremely expensive to fix!!!! i get mines in the shop tomorrow and will be almost five days to correct.
  • hatemyscionhatemyscion Member Posts: 1
    MY GIRLFRIENDS CAR HAS 68000 MILES AND THE DRIVETRAIN WARRANTY WAS OVER AT 60000. THE ENGINE KEPT BURING UP OIL. NOW ITS KNOCKING AND BEING TOLD I NEED A NEW MOTOR. WTF?
    surewd-were you losing oil or did the shop offer it as preventive? tia
  • djtwo3djtwo3 Member Posts: 1
    I just recently finished paying off my 2009 scion xb and it has 58,860 miles. I still have warranty until I hit the 60,000 miles. But ever since, my car has been having problems idling. I took it the Toyota dealership to have the ignition coils replaced since their was a recall on them. My car still shaked when idling I changed the spark plugs the spark plugs were worn out too. It still shakes. A Retired Toyota mechanic told me that it could be my throttle body cause it might have a bunch of gunk in there due to the carbon. He's checking it on Wednesday. But I've been looking for forums(oil consumption)on line that describes the same problem as my car. I found you guys. Last time I changed the oil on my car, the car had a little bit of oil. And Ive never had that problem with my cars that I have owned. I believe my car is consuming oil because I couldn't believe how much dropped on the oil pan. I think my car has that problem. It never occurred to me to check the oil on my car when I changed the spark plugs. Another thing is that my cars oil icon has not mention that I need oil on the car. Back to my car shaking. My car only has thins problem when I'm at a stop sign or I'm just idling. My scion shakes but then it goes away. It doesn't shake all the time I'm at the stop sign. It shakes for a bit and them it goes away. If reversing it shakes too. I don't know how much more money I can spend on this car. Reading all the forums you guys have makes me just want to sell it to Carmax and getting myself more than 12,000 for my car and let them deal with it. Someone please give me advice on what else it could be. Thank you very much. Sorry I wrote a lot but hopefully other people can relate to it as well.
  • scion08usesoilscion08usesoil Member Posts: 3
    Matt, thank you. My 2008 xb has had no problems until now (except brake pads wear way too quick--dealer says it's because I drive in city as a courier, former job).
    I take my car in for oil changes regularly, but admittedly I often go beyond 3000, to 4000, sometimes even 5, or 6000; but the treatment I've given re mileage btwn oil changes, and general attention to the slightest detail of the cars performance, has been the most dillagent of any of the many cars I've owned. But, if anyone at the dealer had said one word about it consuming oil, I would have checked the oil all the time, or often and avoided this (engine is toast! and I LOVE my car!) problem. They stress--in fact my best friend is the service mangr--my tardiness in mileage between oil changes, but never told me that I was ever low when I brought it in--I have checked the oil only once or twice in its 113,000 miles! This is NOT because i am an idiot that has no idea of how cars work. On the contrary--as I have never had a new car, I thought that if I kept bringing it in as close to the oil change times as I could, which again, is by far the most oil changes of any car I've owned, the dealer would tell me/advise me if anything needed watching with my car--OR AT LEAST TELL ME MY OIL IS LOW WHEN I BRING IT IN CONSISTENTLY AND THIS CAR CONSUMES OIL ANYWAY!!
    Sorry, anyway, that is my long winded way of signing on with you in this. This car was is the most important purchase I ever had, and I am devastated to say the least. PLEASE HELP!! And again, THANK YOU!! Tony Beers, Wash DC
    Toyota sold it to you, they're through with it. There is no longer any customer service, everyone is on there own. The companies have observed the way people are treated by the Government and followed suit.
    If you plan to continue to own an automobile you will have to educate yourself.
    Excuses only work for Politicians.
    My car does the exact same thing!!! (2008 Scion XB) 99,000 miles. The shaking just started a few months ago.....had the ignition coil fix....back when that was recalled and just recently had the throttle body cleaned out.....still shakes ....but like you said not all the time... very weird! I discovered the oil burning problem at about 70,000miles.....Oil light did come on! Car had almost no oil! And this was 2,000 miles before my next 5,000 mile oil change was due! I have always changed my oil religiously! I never would have imagined when I bought a brand new car that I would have to check the oil once a week! I love my car...but this experience has soured me against Toyota and I would never buy another one! This was my second ...I had a Toyota Corolla ..it had 230,000 on it and was still running! I see your post was from July ...let me know if you had any new developments with your situation. I called Scion headquarters about this back when i discovered these cars burn oil...and they ran some tests ...but they say it is within the normal range to burn a quart every 1,500 miles ...which is absurd!!! I did see it mentions the oil consumption in the manual but they should verbally warn you when you buy this car to check your oil regularly......I cant imagine how many people have blown there engines already ! I just hope mine makes it ! I have 2 more years of payments! Shame on Toyota.....Everyone with this problem should come forward...if enough people did maybe they would do something!!!!! Dawn
    edited December 2012
    Scion Xb Engine Problem, Oil Consumption, and My Blown Engine!!! :

I posted about week ago re my 08 Scion XB (112,500 miles) and wish to pursue this issue for SO MANY reasons, the most important of which is the fact that I can't -- financially -- go out and replace this car!!! I know that I will have to try and borrow some money to get a car while fighting this, but fight I will!!! PLEASE, if anyone can assist in a mutual effort to out Toyota and get compensated for this ridiculous oil issue, please weigh in!! Thanks, Tony.

PS: My dealership told me that my engine at only 112,500 is toast for these reasons:

1) I wrecked the car -- even though I totally repaired the body, engine was not damaged at all and given a clean bill of health after accident -- and,

2) I did not keep up with oil changes every 3,000 miles (usually between 3,000--7,000, more than any car I've ever owned -- and as I said in my previous post, I have never expected my car engine to last as long as someone that keeps to that schedule -- or my neighbor who probably sleeps w/his car -- resulting in my car lasting only 240,000 before a rebuild while the other guy's car goes 280,000).

These reasons are preposterous as anyone that has even a cursory understanding of how automobiles work knows!!!! And to make the customer wrong/at fault while standing in the dealership looking at his dead Scion to which that same customer gave $19,600 of hard earned money, is also preposterous!!!!

Thanks for the ear, but also the support in advance,

Tony 2008 Scion XB Blown Engine Cause He Didn't Change the Oil Every 3,000 Miles Guy
    It is completely preposterous and unacceptable! I have been waiting for more people to start coming forward with this in the hopes that maybe there would be a recall. Back a little before 70,000 miles they had been testing and measuring my oil but they say that the consumption was within normal range 1 quart per 1200 miles Which I still believe to be ridiculous. It does state in the owners manual that these cars will consume oil! I never read that until later I really feel it is Toyota's responsibility to let the customer know that with these cars you will need to check your oil! No one would think that they would need to check the oil that regularly if they got regular oil changes like myself I get oil changes every 3000 to 5000 miles religiously. When I first noticed that my car had consumed almost all of its oil It was over 2000 miles before I was even due for my next oil change! My car is just almost got 100,000 miles. When I read your post I became very worried and I called the scion headquarters I already have a case with them but it's kind of been closed cause that was over year ago and now they are telling me that my car is so far out of warranty that they really wouldn't do anything if anything happened to my car I told them about your case and I said that I was very worried that the same thing was going to happen to me eventually! Since the problem seems to be with the 2008 mainly and since I put a lot of miles on and obviously so do you I think more more people will be coming out with this problem so it may just take a while but I plan on keeping on top of them about this! I also want to find out why they would even sell a car like this without informing the customer of the oil burning problem the whole thing is preposterous and I am completely infuriated and will do whatever it takes to fight them. Could you tell me a little more about your situation ?how did you first notice that your engine was blown what was your car doing leading up to that? Had you been checking the oil? Did you realize that It had the oil burning problem? At any point with your dipstick completely dry? My dealership only recommends getting the oil changed every 5000 miles every time I get my oil changed the sticker for the next time is 5000 miles away I usually take it upon myself to take it in around 3000 miles just because I worried because I know it has this problem. But my friend told me that is silly I should go at 5000 because since I have to add so Much oil of my Own by the time I get there by car is practically filled with fresh oil again so I probably could at least wait till the 5000.
    lisis, thank you for your comments. My car never had a symptom until I heard a tapping when I would let off the accelerator. This was hard to hear at first but was persisitantly there, so I called my friend at the dealership and arranged to bring it in (I drove while actually hearing the issue for 2days tops) I have, until now hardly ever checked the oil because i thought that I was bringing it often enough for a NEWER CAR--usually late, sometimes 5-8000 miles btwn changes--but since I never had the luxury of having a new car, I thought It was reasonable to not need to check oil unless dealer told me I was low or it was older and burning it/leaking it like many of my past older cars.
    Do you know that this is only 08 issue or what? I want to buy new engine or a used XB (love to buy a new one/lease it but not sure if i can afford a payment now) Am I crazy to buy another one? I love my poor car!! This issue is very painful and worse because my best friend is the service manager of the dealership where I bought my 08 new! Well I guess you read my last post, won't bore u....thx, tony