Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic 2006-2007 Issues

Comments

• kero1kero1 Member Posts: 154
    Blackexv6,

I guess we all have different experiences.

Without Honda Corporate Care I would not have been able to get my motor mount and belt fix for my 06 civic.

This in addition to the original dealership did nothing to help after 4 visits.

After I called the care line, they sent me to a dealership no more than 5 or so miles away where they did the repairs in a very quick time without much fuss. I did however hand them the TSB's to prove my car fell within vin range.

It's a start though for the other person and opening a case is important should further action be needed.

Also with regards to you trying to trade up, the place you went was stupid not to work with you. It would have been a win win for both you and them. I would have tried another dealership after that and told them they can earn you future business if they work with you to get out of a car you are not happy with.

I soon face this when I try to trade my 06 civic for an 07 element.

All in all though it still a royal pain in the butt.
  • loachloach Member Posts: 246
    I just bought a used '06 Civic LX sedan automatic with 6500 miles on it for my daughter. This thread kind of scares the bejeepers out of me because I have no way of knowing whether the previous owner (who traded the car in for pickup truck) had the lug bug and motor mount issues taken care of. The VIN# is in the range affected by the lug bug TSB - don't know about the motor mount. On the way home from the dealership Monday night (about 30 mile drive) I did hear a "glovebox rattle" at highway speeds. Today I'm driving the car and don't hear it, but then I haven't been driving at highway speeds today. I can't say I've experienced the lug bug, but I have noticed an occasional hesitation when accelerating at lower rpms.

If I take the car into the local Honda dealer, will they be able to tell by the VIN # whether theses issues have been fixed (even if they didn't do the work)? I suppose I could just tell them to check for them, but I'd kind of like to play dumb and test them to see how knowledgable and helpful they are on my first trip ;) .
    Hi,

You can bring your car to any dealership and have them run the VIN#. They can they advise what work has been performed on the car by a dealership including TSB work.

I had to do this with a used 86 accord LXI I purchased many many years ago. Worked like a charm.

Don't get to scared. Most of the problems are not major, just annoyances really.

If your car has not had any work done as of yet, get the TSB's for motor mount and belt problem then check to see if your car falls within the vin range. If so, bring those to a dealership of your choice and advise they fix the problems based on the fact you hear the noise(s) and your car falls withing the designated range. If the dealership is half decent they will do the repairs without much fuss.
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    We have an 06 Civic LX with auto. Lately (14,000 mi) we have had problems getting the gear shift out of park when we first start the car. This just started happening. The gear shift is stuck and the button on the gear shift won't depress. The solution so far has been to turn off the ignition and then start the car again, step on the brake and try to get it out of park. On the second or third try it works fine, but it is scary as we can get stuck some place without being able to get going again. Anybody else have this problem or have a fix other than taking it to the dealer. Since it is sporatic, I'm afraid that the dealer won't be able to duplicate it when we take it in and won't be willing or able to fix it.
    My auto LX does not have this problem yet. Regardless of if the dealer can see the problem the day you bring it it, get it to a dealer quickly before the problem becomes permanent.

Sounds like the mechanism that tells the tranny the brake is depressed is not working correctly so the car does not want to shift out of park.

It's a safety feature but sounds like something not working right.
  • loachloach Member Posts: 246
    Thanks for the input. I will bring it in to the local dealer for the first oil change and try to find out what (if anything) needs to be done.
    I am sure they will be happy to let you know what work or what work has not been done to the car from the dealer. I do believe there computers are all linked to one database.
  • fpritchettfpritchett Member Posts: 7
    I took advice from members of this forum and called Honda Care to open a case. Because I had already had a case under this "problem," the HC opened a case for another consistent problem (vibration in rear window area), and she advised me to bring up the condenser issue once my case manager contacted me.

Well, today I spoke to my case manager and got nowhere with the condenser. I was instructed to make an appointment with the dealer regarding the vibration/rattle(I'm waiting for a call back because no one could take my call). The point I made with HC about the consenser is that there is plenty of proof that the problem exists, however, I wanted to know why Honda repairs some but not all who experience the problem. He told me my case didn't qualify because I don't have a history with Honda. Apparently, if I had been a long time Honda customer I would have been treated as such. I guess they don't want to keep new customers.

I am so frustrated. Dang, I was even nice to the guy and still got screwed (again).

Frank
    I am sorry to hear that you got the SHAFT yet again.

Like I said much earlier somewhere either in this thread or another, it took me 5 times to get my belt replaced and the motor mount replaced.

It's is completely bogus that being a long time customer should get you more assistance. That is a great way to loose a customer for good.

At this point, if you are not getting anywhere, I would go for broke and get nasty.

Eventhough my car is better, all problems are still not fixed (glass scratching issue, front steering/suspension clunking since the day I got the car). I plan on trading this spring/summer back to the car I had before this (got into an accident) which was a subaru impreza. The build quality was awesome and the car was so quiet, you would be shocked.

Eventhough it's a little smaller and more expensive, driving everyday to me has gotten annoying due to the other noises that Honda won't resolve.

Like I posted a few posts earlier. Honda is suffering from quantity over quality (like toyota) and they are loosing customers by leaps and bounds. If you belong to 8thgencivic.com you would be shocked as to how many problems people are having and just how many traded already.

At some point, it's worth biting the bullete to trade even if you loose a little on the trade.

Just my views (I have had a 86 CIVIC SI, 86 accord LX-i). Both of these cars got more than 200,000 miles on them and not many problems other than routine work over time.

It's a shame but the new civics should never have been car of the year!
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    I turns out that the reason that the gear shift would not come out of park was that the brake light sensor was defective. This also prevented the brake lights from coming on, which I didn't know until my wife followed me to the dealer and told me I had no brake lights. The dealer fixed it quickly, but it's the second time I've taken the Civic in for warranty work in 14,000 miles. Doesn't sound like Honda quality to me. For the rest of you - if you have trouble getting the auto transmission out of park, check your brake lights - it might be the brake light sensor is defective like mine.
    Kinda scary. Happy you got it fixed.
  • tjs01tjs01 Member Posts: 34
    After an inspection by a Honda engineer last fall, the right strut was replaced on my 2006 EX. This was after two new motor mounts failed to take care of the noise. I didn't hear the noise until recently when the temperature went over 50 (I live in Michigan). I had mentioned to the engineer that I thought it might be temperature sensitive as it wasn't as prevalent in cold weather.

I haven't seen any posts about this for awhile. Did everyone get this taken care with the new motor mount specified in the TSB?
  • scareyscarey Member Posts: 2
    I have had similar problems. Mine got stuck in park and it was the sensor between the transmission and the brake. The dealership repaired with no problem.

That was five months ago. Today, at 18K miles, it is a right front strut that blew a seal and lost its oil, and the right rear tire tread is separating from the body of the tire. I was told that all four tires would be replaced but I am liable for the approx 1/3 of the tire life I used when it comes time to pay for the new tires.

Other than that, it has been a great car.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
  • mck76mck76 Member Posts: 3
    I just had my 06 civic looked at for the same "cluncking" noise, and they replaced the engine mounts and claim that the noise is fixed I am about to go pick it up but I hope that I will not have to replace the strut as well. Was all the work you did under warenty? my engine mount was.
    Yes, it was all under warranty.
  • scareyscarey Member Posts: 2
    The tires that came on the Civic are Bridgestones. I went to the dealer today to double check on if the new tires had been ordered, and they had. The maint. supervisor told me that the dealership had ordered Goodyears as replacements. He said that the Goodyears were OEM also, but only came on higher level models.

Also, the clunking noise that was a bad strut did not occur until the temperature got above 40-50 degrees. This is similar to a previous post about the same problem.

So far I have had nothing but a very positive experiences with the dealer I bought the car from. Everything had been covered under warranty, and I am still very happy that I bought the car particularly as the price of gas is rising.
    I have goodyear RS-A's on my LX sedan. Thus far, 10,000 miles later, the tires have worn well, handled well in rain, snow and 6" of hail.

I normally hate goodyear tires but these RS-A are pretty good and have worn very evenly for the mileage thus far.

I do rotate every 7000 miles by the way!
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    Actually while Goodyear tires may have come as standard on some models based on my experience ( an 2006 EX sedan) the high line model (the EX) comes with Bridgestones. I am not counting the new Si performance model sedan in this statement.
  • brw115brw115 Member Posts: 13
    I'm noticing that on my new 07 Civic, the Moonroof rattles when the cover is opened- actually I think it's the cover that rattles. I've noticed the same thing on a friends 06 Civic and he says the dealer can't locate any loose parts to fix. Has anyone else noticed a rattling sun/moonroof in the Civics?
  • dshesqdshesq Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone have any more information on the broken motor mounts on the 06 Civic? I have an 06 Civic LX AT Coupe with 22,000 miles on it. I went from a gas-guzzling Suburban to my little red "baby" and I love it.

But, the right side motor mount broke yesterday without warning--I parked the car, went into a store, and came out only to start the car and experience the most wretched vibration (and noise, too!) I have ever experienced in a car. :sick:

Now the Honda service department is giving me a load of you-know-what about how they'll have to "evaluate" the car to see if it's a warranty issue. The clown I was talking to says he hasn't heard a thing about the second- and possibly third- generation motor mounts.

So, can someone please point me in the right direction for back-up information so that I'll be fully equipped to prove my case to these folks? I'm a retired attorney, so I like to go into a situation knowing what I'm talking about and this is new to me!

Thanks!
  • xmontxxmontx Member Posts: 18
    yeah i have the same issue when my sunroof is closed. and when i push my hand up on the roof the rattling stops. when i slide panel (not the sunroof it doesn't rattle) I think it's the sliding panel. I haven't said anything yet. Maybe my next check up.
  • brw115brw115 Member Posts: 13
    I'm thinking this is a widespread problem that Honda has not addressed yet. Talking to a few others, I've heard the same problem existed on some 02-04 Accords and perhaps some other Honda's. I can't find any recall info though and maybe since there are no leaks involved Honda is hoping people won't complain.
    The Service Bulletin is Number 06-060, dated December 16, 2006. The title - "Rattle from Right-Front of Vehicle When Driving Over Bumps"
  • mcrown3mcrown3 Member Posts: 1
    HI,

I had the same problem with my 2007 civic lx coupe. I toke it to the dealership. The service department ran some test on it. They checked for codes in the whole system..no code. Then they checked the crank position status. The crank position status= was not learned.

I guess Honda Company forgot to program the status on the crank. The service department warmed the vehicle to operating temperature, and performed crank learning procedure. It's been almost a week and I had no problem with the vehicle starting up.

Take your vehicle to your local honda service department and tell them to check the crank position status on your vehicle. :D
    The service bulletin issued for motor mounts was mainly for the noise produced on the right front when going over certain types of bumps. The mount was functional but produced "cavitation" under certain situations. Yours is the first case I have heard where the mount actually broke. Since it clearly broke,and this should be easily documented,the mount should be replaced under warranty..no questions asked. Although I do not know the TSB number off hand for the mount you can search around the site a little. I know it (the number) has been listed here before but you should be aware that the reason for that TSB was noise generated by the mount and I don't know if it would apply in your case. Frankly I do not think it would be necessary if the thing broke. You need to calmly talk,more or less,to the service manager and point out that with 22K miles on the car it is clearly under warranty and if he/she does not agree work up the mangement ladder up to and including the general manager then the owner.
    Thanks for the info on the mounts!

Just to update on where I stand with it . . . the dealership where I bought the car treated me like I was a total idiot. First, the tech told me that he had been "doing this for over seven years and had never heard of any problem with the motor mounts", so I told him that he needed to check about them being replaced because of the noise. later he told me that a broken motor mount did not affect the driveability of the car, so the warranty would not cover towing! I "politely" told him that if he sat his rear end (not the word I used, because by then I had had it with this clown) in the seat of that car and started it, he would not have even attempted to drive it because he would have known that it was not safe and that it was likely to cause further damage if it was driven in that condition. I was not a happy camper :mad: when we finished that conversation.

Mercifully, that dealership divested itself of the problem by determining that it was not the closest dealership to the car when it broke down. So the car is now at another dealership which: a) acknowledged that there was a problem with the motor mounts (the noise problem); and b) that a broken motor mount on a 2006 with 22,000 miles is, in all likelihood, a warranty issue. They hope to have the car back to me today. :)

Honda USA will definitely get feedback on the way I was treated by the two dealerships. Ironically, they have the same ownership!

For the sake of others on this forum, though, I hope that my post about the broken motor mount will be useful if, heaven forbid, anyone else has this problem in the future. I hope that Honda gets this problem worked out, because I'm otherwise in love with my car. I'm presently renting a Toyota SR5 as an experiment in driving an intermediate SUV & I can say unequivocally that the quality (it's an 06 with the same mileage as my Civic & it has a lot of rattles) and interior styling are well behind my less expensive Civic.

Thanks again for the help!
  • ggg5ggg5 Member Posts: 20
    I like the Honda Civic 2007 EX 4 dr with all the toys. I liked it better than the Nissan Versa, Sentra or Altima, and better than the Corolla.
    After reading the many posts here with all the problems, some of them the type I would consider serious, I am questioning my decision to purchase this car.
    This re-designed model has been around since Sept 05, and yet, so many significant issues are reported here.
    I checked out the Corolla, which is an inferiors car in style and performance, but no reported problems as seen in this forum.
    I am looking for peace of mind. Owned Toyota before and they were essentially trouble free. Owned a used early 80's Honda and it fell apart after 100,000 miles. Own a used 93 Sentra XE with 170K miles and it is still a champ, running strong.
    So, I wonder about the following:
    -hundreds of thousands of these Civics have been sold. So, the people reporting problems here, are they a small minority or what? Are all the sunroof's making noise? Are all the motor mounts failing? Are al the cars having problems with windshield scratching easily? And so on and so on.
    This concerns me immensely. Should I purchase an extended warrantee? If so, why pay more for reliability and quality that is not there to begin with?
    I am looking to spend almost $22K with taxes, etc. Perhaps I should go with a Corolla, boring and loud road noises but none of the problems reported here.
    All you owners out there, any advice? Especially owner that now have higher mileage, more than 20K miles on their cars.
    Thanks in advance.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    If so, why pay more for reliability and quality that is not there to begin with?

That is an excellent question. Keep in mind however that many of the problems reported on the current Civic are on the 2006 models. The latest 2007 cars should have fixes already applied to them. Should problems appear in the early years of ownership, you do have the 3-year bumper-to-bumper warranty to take care of them.

My advice is, if you really like the Civic more than any other car in its class, and don't mind paying $22k for one, go buy one. But if I were you, I'd look at other options first. For example, there are some mid-sized cars out there that you can get for less than $22k nicely equipped, including the Accord, Aura, Camry, Mazda6, Optima, and Sonata (base Altima too, but you said you didn't like it much). If you'd rather have a small car, be sure to check out the new Elantra and Lancer also. For example, an Elantra equipped like the Civic EX (w/o nav) can be had for around $16k with the MT. Both should be reliable. The Mazda3 is another option--about the same money as a Civic, but sportier. The Jetta is very nice also, but the reliability record is not as good. $22k is a lot of money (for me, anyway), so check out all the options before you plunk it down, so later you won't say, "I should have driven the XXXX before I bought my car!"
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    You should look at the Accord. It's last model year, and dealers have 750 incentives to move them. Check out the prices paid for Accord forum. There are some GREAT deals being had now, as dealers are trying to drive volume to get 2008 ship priority. Deals can be had for way below invoice, for a very solid vehicle.
    Let me say that, to my knowledge, only a few of the motor mounts failed. It was a noise/vibration problem that prompted the TSB. I was unfortunate enough to have the car that have one of the few mounts that failed.

Until the motor mount failed, my Civic was trouble-free. I've had it slightly less than a year and driven it 22,000 miles--that's what happens when you're the soccer mom to two serious soccer players!

When we purchased this car, my husband and I broke our rule of not purchasing a car during its first year of production. We normally don't purchase during the first year to give the manufacturer time to work the bugs out. But we were taken in by the overall appeal of the Civic.

If I had it to do over again, the only thing I'd change is to find this forum first so that I would know in advance what, if anything, to look for. Since you have that, ggg5, I think you'll do fine purchasing the Civic.
    As one of those who bought the "experimental" 2006 Civic in the fall of 2005 I experienced many of the problems (e.g.leaked rear shocks replaced with less than 4K miles,TSB's to fix various mysterious noises, motor mount replacement,cheap easily scarred interior plastics, seat fabrics that are prematurely wearing plus problems that I thankfully have not yet experienced including engine oil leaks, PS leaks, engine immobilizer problems) that previous Honda owners equate with a decline in traditional Honda quality. Since this is our first Honda product of any kind we are, needless to say, disappointed to the max.
    It may be that 2007 Civics have had the bugs worked out by now but who knows? I'm not about to find out.
    I have a 06 Civic LX sedan. 10300 miles thus far. Only problems were motor mount and the lug bug. Both were corrected by dealer once I printed out the TSB's and showed them the vin on my car fell in the range of affected cars for both.

The only other issues I have is very easily scratching glass and some odd front end noise (steering or axle or sticking caliper) that no one can fix or explain. It does not affect the mechanics of the car, yet. The interior scratches easy but I can live with that and be carefull. Only when it was super cold I had some type of odd spring/suspension noise of humps and such. Has gone away since it has gotten warmer.

Despite the problems, the car has ran well and got through winter in some bad conditions pretty good.

My wife has a 05 corolla LE with 16,000 miles. The only problem thus far (which was a known problem) was the belt tensior which failed at about 10,000 miles. Dealer fixed it with no questions. Her car is smooth, quiet and pretty comfortable but BLAND AND BORING TO ME. On the highway it's silky smooth.

I did hear however that 06 and 07 corollas had computer problems, some at 1000 miles where cars completely died and had to be towed.

Pick what you like and go from their. TSB's and problems can't be the only factor as you have to like what you drive or you will always find something to pick about.

Good luck!!!!
    Thank you all for your responses so far, hopefully I will get some more. I certainly appreciate the assistance folks.
    My last new car was in 1980 (Nissan 200 SX) which I truly enjoyed. Kids, marriage, college expenses, cars for the kids and my better half: and here I am 27 years later buying my next new car. I am driving a Buick Park Ave. with 125K and it is worn out plus uses gas like a thirsty elephant!
    Not complaining, mind you, just sharing.
    I really like the Honda EX with all the toys, although I know there are so many options out there. Guess worse case scenario is I sell it if it turns out to be lemonade! However, I like the advice and will consider test driving other vehicles which I did not even consider (Hyundai, Accord, Camry, etc.).
    My key requirements are: 30-40 mpg, reliable, high quality, fun to drive and that I like on an emotion / gut level.
    Form a purely quality/reliability standpoint: Corolla is it.
    For purely economical reasons: Hyundai & Kia come to the top of the list.
    Not even going to tackle the emotion/gut level, cause that takes me to Corvettes & many others I can not afford.

I am also interested in mpg from people that drive as I do: never in a hurry, never rushing from or to a traffic light, staying close to speed limits in highways and fastest highway speed in last 3 years was maybe 85 to pass a truck. In other words, if this Civic is driven gently, what is the mpg range? Again, thanks to all and have a great day!
    Very pleased with my 1st Honda product. Would definitely recommend it. The new Lancer looks like a great buy also...has a very edgy look...think they have a winner there. If you want a Corolla, wait for the new model. Saw a pic and it looks very Camryeske...a nice design.
    An Accord or Sonata would be a great choice if you want to move up in class. Good luck and let us know.

The Sandman :)
    I have to disagree on some points.

Don't touch a new lancer and or soon to be released corolla. First year gen redesigns will put you in the position alot of us are in with our first year newly released 06 civics.

Don't be a guinee pig for the manfaucturer. If a corolla is what you want, either wait for the new design to be out a full year before buying or buy a 07 which most kinks are worked out. Same goes for a lancer.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Well, given the requirement for 30-40 mpg, the Lancer is out, as is most every other ICE car except the Civic, Corolla, and small cars like the Fit and Yaris. The Elantra is borderline on the mpg, but it too is a new model. The Corolla and Fit are old designs and thus are most likely to be reliable. The Fit has great handling and is more versatile than the Civic. The Yaris should be reliable also. A base Prius is a possibility, as they can be had for around $22k and have excellent fuel economy and reliability. As for driving fun... that is something the buyer has to determine for himself/herself.
    First, thank one more time for the responses.
    Here is a different type of question: anyone thinks a Honda dealer would agree to upgrade the tires from Bridgestone, which has been reported here to be noisy and also failing in terms of steel belts separating? In fact, one of the first repairs I did to my 1980 Nissan was to replace the Toyo tires, because the traction was extremely poor in the rain.

Never heard of the Lancer, but will look into it. Although the advice not to be the guinea pig for a new product makes a lot of sense.

My wife drives a 2000 Toyota 4 Runner, which was the next generation that year, and we did OK.

A general comment, being involved in the Automotive industry, is that as all car manufacturers spread their supplier base across the world, the quality of the parts is decreasing and so is the car reliability & quality. So, in my opinion, if I could get a Civic made in Japan, I would be better off. But that is no longer possible. But, since I can not, here I am asking questions. Perhaps I can contribute with information in the future instead.
    Good day to all.
  • herotakesafallherotakesafall Member Posts: 103
    Okay, I don't really browse a lot of these forums, but my dad's new '07 Civic LX A/T (40 miles) hesitates a bit when accelerating from a stop. If we're reeeeally gentle it's okay, but upon normal acceleration from a stand-still, the car "skips" a bit before the acceleration kicks in. Is this because the car is so new, or do any of you think there might be some sort of problem with the transmission?
    It most likely is the drive by wire. Your 07 does not have a cable that connects the gas peddle to the throttle body.

It's all done electronically with a sensor on the gas peddle.

If one is not used to it you might notice it but most likely it's normal.

If in doubt, you can always have the dealer check it. Always better safe than sorry!

GGG5

I have the goodyear RS-A's on my LX sedan. Eventhough I am not a big fan of goodyear tires, they are much better than the bridgies and after 10,000 miles I have yet to have a problem or complaint with them. I have heard many stories of bad and replaced bridgies on cars equipped with them.

Also, avoid the fit for now, they are also suffering many problems, fit and finish mostly, inside and out. I have an aquantaince with one and the paint is a problem, inside parts are causing problems as well, especially the shifting paddles.
    I too have the RS-A's and am quite pleased with them, they seem to grip great on dry or wet pavement. With 6700 miles, they look barely worn at all. I did put them on my EBAY used alloys and they ride pretty smoothly. I rarely get up above 60 with the car for any appreciable amount of time though, 90% city driving for me.
    The only time the car hesitates a bit from a stop is before the car fully warms up. Within 3 to 4 minutes, all is fine. I've been happy with the acceleration up the power band actually. I try to never go above 3k rpm's except in an emergency situation. When I want more spirited driving, I use the wife's Mazda 3s and I get the instant gratification that I'm looking for!

The Sandman ;)
    Don't worry about going over the 3k RPM. I have owned many hondas going all the way back to my first Honda.

A 1986 Civic SI 3 Door Hatch with the 1500cc fuel injected engine.

Civic engines enjoy being rev'd and from time to time it's good to clear carbon build up. A good run on the highway and a healthy fast merge never hurts.
  • walterquintwalterquint Member Posts: 89
    I considered posting this issue on the "Civic: Prices Paid" forum, but it didn't quite fit. I consider the following an "issue", just not a mechanical one..........that is, why is the new Civic SO expensive?? I'd love to find a base Civic with a/c for $15.3k or so. Can't be done!

Rather, new Civics are pushing $18k! That's almost Accord territory, given typically aggressive Accord discounts.

Granted, the Civic is THE compact leader in every way. However, a Focus can be had for $13.7k, as can a Cobalt. The Elantra would be loaded to the gills for $15k. And at the Civic's typical $18k, one can even get a much larger Ford Fusion.

This is value? Honda seems to have abandoned Civic base models (and has thus abandoned a huge customer base). Can a student or young professional afford $18k for a Civic? Or will that person spend a few grand more for an Accord?

Is this why Honda is advertising the Civic so much on TV lately? To keep sales hot because consumers are cooling to its high price?
    Price? this is a very good point. I paid very nearly $20K ($19,680) for my 2006 EX sedan in the fall of 2005. The Civic was a hot item and there was no negotiation or movement off the suggested retail price (window sticker). The 2007 EX sedans are right at $20K so add the navigation/XM radio option and you are solidly into $22K. The car has abandoned its roots and that niche is supposedly filled by the Fit. The Civic, in my opinion, is a car in no mans land. It is severely overpriced for what it is and now intrudes into larger, better equipped sedan (including, if you make a stretch Honda's own stripper or base model Accord) territory. It NOT a value for most consumers no matter how you slice it. Yes, I did buy one but I now regret not following my original plan of buying a Sonata. Fuel economy is nice but it ain't everything!!!
    Targettuning, your new Civic will depreciate far less than a Sonata would. And the seats in the Civic are the finest I've seen in any car under $27k. So your choice, dollar-wise, was very sound........but in terms of real-world fuel economy, buying an expensive Civic may not be the best choice anymore. The new fuel economy testing procedures (higher speeds, more a/c use) are killers for small displacement engines. For example, a Civic 1.8L 5sp automatic gets 29mpg combined. An Accord 2.4L 5sp stick gets 26 or so. I'd gladly sacrifice that 3mpg difference to step up to an Accord.

Note to Honda: Give me a Civic with crank windows and manual mirrors for $15k!!!
    I spoke too soon. First I got a call that the mount wouldn't be fixed under warranty because of the minor damage on the opposite fender. I requested a quote on the repair work because I cannot continue to rent a car.

I then placed a call to my insurance adjuster (I was hit by an uninsured motorist, so my insurance is handling the claim) to advise him of Honda's position on the repair.

I then called Honda Customer Care and opened a claim. They put a high priority on it.

Within the hour I received another call from the dealer telling me that they would not do the repair at all because there is a tremendous amount of damage--bent CV axles included--and that all of the damage must have occurred and not been repaired when I had a front-end collision in October. The service writer said he didn't know how I was even driving the car.

That sent me over the edge. I now have a car that supposedly has all kinds of damage and I haven't a clue how or why it is that way. Did the damage occur because the motor mount broke? Or did the motor mount break because damage wasn't fixed properly in the first place?

What I do know is that I drove the car from mid-November when the repairs were completed until April 1 and it was perfectly fine--no vibration, no pull, no noise, and the alignment was perfect.

If the CV axle was bent during that time, I would have known. I'm not a ditz when it comes to cars, as my husband and I used to build and race Corvettes. I'm very sensitive to any change in the operation of my car. And, I hate to say it, but if, Heaven forbid, a Neanderthal hanging around in that dealership that doesn't believe that a woman could figure out if there was a problem with the car, my husband also drove the car regularly and came to the same conclusion that I did--there was nothing wrong with the operation of the car before it broke on Sunday.

So I am now in the worst possible position--Honda won't touch the car under warranty, and I have this sneaking suspicion that the garage that did the repairs is not going to own up to making any type of mistake that could have caused the motor mount failure.

I'm left to wonder just how long my insurance company is going to stand behind this one . . . Being a retired lawyer, all I can think of is to have the stupid parts taken out, evaluated by an engineer, and the blame assigned. Unfortunately, that's not the fastest way to get my car fixed and back in my hands.

Anyone have any better ideas?
  • herotakesafallherotakesafall Member Posts: 103
    "Granted, the Civic is THE compact leader in every way. However, a Focus can be had for $13.7k, as can a Cobalt. The Elantra would be loaded to the gills for $15k. And at the Civic's typical $18k, one can even get a much larger Ford Fusion."

Why are you discounting those models, but not the Civic? People here have gotten almost $2,000 off sticker of a Civic LX. Which has a lot of great features that the Focus and Cobalt don't have standard or don't even offer. Like curtain airbags, mp3 jack, telescoping steering wheel, etc. Plus, over the life of the car, the Civic will likely have far fewer probems than a Focus or a Cobalt. And if I want to sell this thing in 7 years with 100,000 miles, I can probably sell the Civic for around $7,000 where I'd only get $4,000 for a Focus or Cobalt.

So, when it comes down to numbers, I actually don't see why people *wouldn't* buy the Civic.
    Here in MA, the Civic isn't discounted anywhere near $2k, especially when gas rises above $2.50.........my point is, Honda should offer a base Civic without most of the frills you mention. As another poster noted, the Fit is attempting to fill that role. (You can't find a Fit around here either.)

Small cars are pretty much equal in raw reliability nowadays. Sophistication is another matter, however. That's where the Civic excels.
    Here is the low down without me knowing all the details of your repairs.

Let forget about the mount for a moment.

If we assume you were in an accident, and your insured covered the damages or the other persons insurance did, you most likely got your car repaired at a shop recommended by either your insurance or theirs. In this case, most insurance companies cover the repairs for as long as you own it. I know geico and others door. Let's not forget most auto body shops also do this (at least the ones near me do). Taking into account the above and assuming for the moment, it's valid for you, your insurance company and even maybe the body shop will fix the repairs that were not done right or were not done at all. If you have your estimate, it will list all work done including parts and labor. If Honda is saying you have damaged parts and these were on your list from the insurance company you have all the power to get all that fixed by your insurance company and or the body shop.

With regards to your motor mount, I had mine replaced. I have only heard of one or two cases were the mount completed failed during driving. This did not cause any damage to the car other than a severly rocking or vibrating engine. Assuming someone did not drive with it like that for days on end.

I agree that a bent axle and or badly damaged cv joints, you would know by clicking when you made turns and also vibration into the steering wheel.

I can write all day but something smells foul here. With regards to your mount, you have to print the TSB and find if your vin falls within range of affected cars. This is your first and most important step in this process.

I hate to say this but you need to raise hell not only with your insurance company but with honda as well all know, a really pissed off customer has more power than a calm patient one.

Also, you might want to request a field rep to come down and look at your car with the dealership while it's there. You have to request this at honda care. Tell them it's vital to getting this all cleared up. If not, get them to send down the regional manager with a highly qualified tech.

I am not sure what else I can say but I once had a similar situation with an accident only and by really getting pissed and showing it, I got it all resolved, but it took 5 months of really hard work and much headaches.

I hope this helps.
    You're right about the insurance company and body shop, kero.

The car is on its way to the body shop under a supplemental claim on the original accident. The repairs will be done there. All of my legal training says that every part that comes off the car should be kept for future reference. Period. Nothing like evidence!

Unfortunately, I have to focus on getting the car back on the road--I can't let it sit around while it's evaluated by Honda Customer Care. Having said that, I guess it can't hurt to request that they look at the car even though it's no longer at the dealership.

I've looked at the TSB, and my car is an EX coupe and doesn't fall within the VINs, because the VINs are all for sedans. The TSB doesn't list any coupe VINs, although I have seen others who have coupes and have had their mounts replaced, either for noise/vibration or for actual failure.

You're so right that something smells foul here. I don't know why the dealership was so reluctant to touch the car. They get paid to do warranty work, so it shouldn't be a big deal to repair something that broke when the car is under warranty.

Talking out loud here . . . let's assume that a part breaks while under warranty and there is collateral damage as a natural, but highly unusual result of that breakage. Wouldn't that be covered under the warranty? Wouldn't you expect the dealer to repair it? I know that I would, since the part broke through no fault of the consumer's.

I really have to decide whether to involve Honda Customer Care in this. My insurance company is taking the lead and plan to duke it out with Honda over who is responsible for the damage.

Maybe I should be happy with getting a result and not worry about who is responsible. But there's that other part of me that: 1) wants to know what really happened; and 2) wants to make sure that the responsible party (Honda or the body shop) is properly saddled with responsibility for this.

Heaven knows I've had enough grief from it!