Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic 2006-2007 Issues

Comments

• kathyc1kathyc1 Member Posts: 138
    I haven't noticed anything wrong with my 07 EX coupe from Canada yet. Maybe they caught the problem before mine was built (fingers crossed). You should take it in and get that fixed. Also, they must have washed it before giving it to me and I've noticed no spots that look like a possible leak. I'll know better when I get it washed myself. They've even given me a ticket for a free car wash when I bring it in for it's first oil change (also free). So far I've been able to keep it shiny and nice with my California Duster. Just a note, when I bought my 2002 Civic EX coupe from the same place only owned by someone else, they gave me free oil changes for life. Pretty good deal, but no more with this new owner.
    I can understand why he did it though. I've finally got mine high enough and my seat back far enough so it's not so bad. My head still hits the rest, but it doesn't push my head forward all the time, just messes up my hair in the back. Very annoying, but I try to keep it so it will do it's job.
  • glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    My 07 EX AT was built in Canada, and shipped to my dealer in NY. It was the only one on the lot from Canada. I wanted a Galaxy Grey EX AT Sedan, and they only had one.

It's been perfect the first 3,000 miles. I get around 29mpg around the city with no AC. Took it to Toronto last week. 400 miles mostly 65mph, cruise, and no AC. 40.2 mpg.
    glideslopes, your EX is a sedan and mine is a coupe both built in Canada. I wonder what the rule of thumb was for cars not to be built in Ohio. I wanted one from Ohio so I could at least say it was built in the U.S. It went from Canada to Buffelo to Denver to Phoenix. Don't know why. I hope I get your gas mileage. So far I've gotten 31 in combo and 27 all town. 40 is great. Still loving the car and glad I made the change. :)
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    I think it may be a matter of supply and demand. Most US sold cars are made in Ohio but if there is an excess in demand Honda may shuffle the distribution of Canadian cars to the US. I always assumed that Canada had somewhat different emission standards...maybe not. These may be becoming international.
  • drmbbdrmbb Member Posts: 80
    I'd say you are correct. It seems that Honda US and Honda Canada tend to ship units based on demand without regard to origin of production. With demand high in both countries, Honda is expanding in both - a new engine plant in Ontario, the new civic sedan plant in Indiana (both slated to begin operations next year).

Others do the same - back in the day for GM, when the cavalier was selling like blazes in both the US and Canada, all of them were still being built at the Lordstown facility and then shipped to dealers in both countries (the Lordstown complex is massive!).

Because of this, a lot of NA cars are produced to meet emissions in either country (ie. they build them to the highest determining standard). Usually what needs to be dealt with is safety issues, but even a lot of that is becoming standard (rear child seat safety restraints were mandated in Ontario before most US states, so you had to have a kit for your US imported car - I remember that one). The civics all digital speedo and odometer should make the miles-to-kilometers (and vice versa) simple - just altering a software setting default should do it.
  • ggg5ggg5 Member Posts: 20
    This forum was very helpful prior to purchasing my Civic in April 07. I had an odd event and wonder if anyone has any idea on potential cause.
    At highway speeds (65-75 mph) I began to hear a "bell like sound" as the wheels passed over the spacers between sections of the road, which was poorly maintained. It was not very loud but it was noticeable. I had a passenger who was ~250 pounds and wonder if this was it, or the poor condition of the road. He heard the noise too, and it stopped as soon as we were on a smoother section of road.
    The car had less than 1000 miles at that time, now up to 1700 and did not occur again.
    Could it be the struts? No leaks on garage floor...
    Also, I sometimes note that the automatic transmission is sort of jerky as it goes from start to first-second gear. I drive the car very gently and when I drive a bit more aggressively, it does not happen. Anyone thinks that this could be the start of a trans problem?
    Otherwise, the car has been great, about 30-33 mpg in town (I am a very gentle driver) and 40 mpg in the hwy. Thanks.
    George
  • kenlwkenlw Member Posts: 190
    your transmission shifts will adjust to your particular driving style over time. The transmission has an electronic control that adjusts shift points and other items based on a compiled history of how you drive. Give it a bit more time and see how the shifting adjusts.

Smaller engines do seem to shift a bit harder in my experience, as they lose a larger portion of their overall power when shifting. The load on the engine also seems to affect the hardness of the shifts, so even little things like having the AC on may affect it.

Those are some great mileage numbers, I get nowhere near that but I've never been called a gentle driver....
  • kero1kero1 Member Posts: 154
    I wonder if you were hearing TIRE SLAP from maybe over inflated tires going over the joints in the road.

What brand tires are on your car, the brigies or goodyears?

The civics (my 06 LX included) tend to have alot of road noise , especially over concrete roads.

All because you don't have leaks on the garage floor does not mean the suspension is not leaking.

I consider myself lucky at 13K to not yet have leaky shocks or struts. I had my mechanic check and they are nice and dry on the outside, however, this is around the time when others started getting leaky shocks and struts.

You car is also green (new) so give it a few thousand to break in and then go from there.

Between here and 8thgencivic.com, there are plenty of resoursces to help once you determine there is still a problem.
  • drmbbdrmbb Member Posts: 80
    When you notice the jerky shifting, is it from a full stop, or switching from coasting to accelerating (eg. coming up to a red light, that truns to green before you have to come to a full stop)? If so, it could be the electronic drive-by-wire throttle. There is a definite lag in throttle response when your foot is off the accelerator, but the engine rpm's are still up (say, over 1000), and you then re-apply the accelerator. I find that situation often causes a bit uneven response from the car (I have a 2007 EX/AT sedan).

That's probably my only real complaint about the civic - the DBW throttle response under certain driving conditions has too much lag (it's not enough to have deterred me from my purchase, but it's an item for Honda to improve on).
    the drive-by-wire systems in most cars have been a sore spot, Toyota also has numerous complaints on theirs.
  • ggg5ggg5 Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for the info.
    I will check the air pressure in my tires, although I do that regularly and suspect it is not the cause.
    As far as the trans: it occurs when starting from a dead stop if I am very gentle on the gas, if I am a bit aggressive, it does not happen.
    I agree that the car needs to age a bit more, to allow it to break in.
    As far as what tires the car has: Bridgestone.
    And yes, the drive by wire sometimes results in a delay when I press the gas.
    I will visually check every so often that the struts/shocks are OK, not leaking oil, etc.

I always try to see how high mpg I can get from a car. I gave my son a 1993 Nissan Sentra, 5 speed, that I got 40 mpg time and again when taking long trips to East coast, through the mountains of PA, and this was with the car at 165K miles. He's got almost 180K miles on it, and still loves the mpg. I hope my Civic performs and is as reliable as that old Nissan. The Civic is capable of high mpg, but it has to be treated very gently. Although, I am surprised at the pep the car has if I push it! I chased an Audi the other day that went around me like I was an obstacle. So I pressed the gas pedal, keeping right behind him, till I noticed I was going 82 mph in a 55 zone and still accelerating! Do not do that often, but nice to know I can!

Overall, I remain impressed with this car.
    I am happy I don't have the bridgestones, I have the goodyear RS-A's and so far 13K later, they have worn and performed well. I was surprised as I hate goodyear tires. I have heard from others that the bridgestones have had some problems on 06 models, I don't know about 07's. Some had bad or broken belts, etc.

I feel my civic without AC on is kind of a snail. I have a hard time keeping up with regular traffic sometimes. Here on LI though, people drive really fast and have big engines in their fancy shmancy beemers, benzes and so forth.

When merging on the highway, it can be scary sometimes as I can't get up to speed safely in certain conditions.

My gripe is that the 1.8L engine needs more power or a bump up to 2.0L or so.

Now, put 3 people in the car like I do when camping and such, and man, an old toyota tercel can kick my [non-permissible content removed] on the highway.
  • ghanchinghanchin Member Posts: 4
    I have the same issues - 2007- BURT KUNI HONDA of Denver - 3 times in in 6 weeks-
    THIS IS NOT NORMAL - Do not let your dealer tell you that- That is JUST BS- We need to unite - against this - I have heard the noise 20+ times in 6 weeks- My friends who are driving with me - ARE like DUDE- this is a BRAND new CAR? - Why the noise- It comes out of Left FRONT and Right FRONT - 10 to 15 MPH ONLY when turning into an elevation change - I heard 3 times in a ROW last week - within 5 minutes- the NOISE is getting LOUDER - I have an acura - 15 yrs old - NO FRONT END NOISES.. Going into shop next week - will let you know - they are giving me a RENTAL until fixed - Will update..
    This is not normal - Mine is LOUD and this needs to be addressed by HONDA- The car may be UNSAFE.... IE- It is not a normal noise with a BRAND NEW CAR-
  • charlitoscharlitos Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I think I have the same problem. Are you talking about a vibration (it sounds like the window glass vibrating at the right front side) when I go slow over bumps or fast (> 80 mph)

How/Where can I read the TSB?

If got my car in Mexico (imported from US), do you think the TSB is still valid?

I appreciate your answer,
  • cz75cz75 Member Posts: 210
    The warranty is NOT valid in Mexico. You'd have to drive across to the US for warranty service.
    UPDATE - they are putting new STRUTS for FREE on my 07 sedan SI - we will see if this fixes the noise..
  • themistoclesthemistocles Member Posts: 95
    damn that sucks and certainly shouldnt be there, i was going to say it was the tight suspenion, but idk. Im glad i got the coupe and the extended 10 year 100,000 mile warranty. When i went in to get my oil changed and tires rotated and what not, i was talking to them about my warranty, if i had anything wrong like that, theyd just replace it no questions asked. incredibly nice people, and took the time to inspect everything. Even hooked there dynostics computer up and went for a ride with me to check everything was in excellent shape.
    Actually when i was there, i test drove a Si sedan, i thought it was incredibly nice, and noticed no problems what so ever with the suspension or any weird road noises, and we hit several large bumps. oh yea it was a used Si too, with like 12,000 miles.. Sadly though, someone painted the rims gold with [non-permissible content removed] paint, and put a carbon fiber hood that wasnt painted, along with a front lip and side skirts that werent painted. lol was the ugliest thing in the world.
  • charlitoscharlitos Member Posts: 2
    Where may I read the complete TSB #06-060

Do I need to register in other page to read it?

Does anyone could send me a copy?

You could help me to know if I am experiencing the same problem..

Thanks a lot!
  • jonesy1231jonesy1231 Member Posts: 1
    My sun visors have warped from the sun and one has broken at the join. I spoke to the parts guy at the dealership and he said it wasn't covered by the warranty but it has happened to several other civic owners. He said he expected honda to issue a recall sometime soon.

Does anyone know why its not covered by warranty and/or if honda have or will issue a recall?
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    WHOA! NOT covered under warranty? Why the heck not? Before i traded my 06 civic in, i had taken it to the dealer because the visior on my side (driver) was totally broken and handing in my view, and the passenger side was starting up as well.

The service guy i spoke to told me that he had a few others come in with the same problem and that it WAS covered under warranty. They ordered me one, but it came in the wrong color, so it was back ordered but i never got it because we got rid of the car. But still, it was totally covered and i never paid a cent. He also mentioned that there would be a recall/redesign of that visor soon as the prev gen didn't have this problem.

There is no reason you should have to pay for this if you are still under warranty!!
    Hi,

I am 100% I posted a picture/image of the TSB you need in this thread or one of the other threads.

I think it was the 2006 civic lug bug thread.

keRo
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    If you (or charlitos, or anyone) perform a search from the gray bar on the Civic group page, it won't matter what discussion the post is in. As long the discussion is in the group, it will be searched. :)
  • bellagiobellagio Member Posts: 16
    My sun visor just fell apart today. I've had the car less than a year and the visors were a pain from the beginning. The most annoying part is when you swing them over to the side to block the sun from coming in the driver's window and then they hit you in the head when you make a turn. :mad:

I didn't have a single problem with the visors in my previous Civic. Someone really screwed up the design in the new models.

From everything I've heard, they are covered by warranty. I'm going to my dealership soon to have the broken one replaced. Will let you know what they say.
  • themistoclesthemistocles Member Posts: 95
    i thought they did recall the sun visors?
    I highly doubt you would see a sun visor recall no matter how bad the problem is, it isn't safety issue. You may see a technical service bulletin (TSB), and/or you may get a letter from Honda. If it broke under warranty, they will fix it unless they can prove it was something you did to damage it.

There is no reason to wait.
  • kponenationkponenation Member Posts: 2
    Wow... I have the same exact problem and mine broke today..
    I think it was broken for a while but I just didn't bother noticing..
    I live 800 miles away from the dealership where I bought my vehicle (it's 06 Honda civic coupe LX). Is it okay to bring my car to a near Honda dealerships?

Thank you.
  • bellagiobellagio Member Posts: 16
    Update: the dealer replaced both my visors without a problem. (Unfortunately, they're replacing them with the exact same design, so a return visit is virtually guaranteed soon.)

Everything was covered by warranty and the tech said they've had many complaints about the visors on the new Civics. I think you can take your car to any dealer to get new ones.

One of the above posts said Honda wouldn't issue a visor recall because it's not a safety issue, but I disagree. When one of my visors broke in the middle of a trip, I couldn't flip it up back to its original position anymore. It was stuck facing down. Thankfully, it was on the passenger side, but if it happened on the driver's side, it would have had a big impact on visibility.

What a big pain in the @#$% for such a small part.
  • mamamathmamamath Member Posts: 4
    I thought when I bought my Civic last year that it would be flawless. My CURRENT issue is that the gear shifter (automatic transmission) is stuck in "park". I read the manual and it even gives a key slot method override on how get the transmission out of "park". Is this an issue anyone else has had?
  • kponenationkponenation Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your reply. I actually stopped by a Honda dealership this afternoon, and they ordered me new sun visors(both driver and passenger). The lady there said sun visors are cover under warranty. I just need to go back when they receive the visors. So if you have any problem w/ your sun visors, go get a new one. I just hope that the new ones I get won't break as easily as the current ones...
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    You have to put on the brakes, to unlock the transmission shifter. If you aren't pressing the brakes, press them. If you are, check to see if your brake lights are on when you put your foot on the brake. You could have a bad switch.
  • error438error438 Member Posts: 17
    I have an '07 civic lx and just bought a new shift knob. i am having problems getting it on. i can unscrew the knob, but the fake leather part under it(boot?sleeve?)just dangles. can anyone help with it. its a pilot motorsports knob. thanks
    Are there more out there? We own a 2006 Civic EX sedan that has less than 10K miles showing (even though this problem started at about 5K or less miles). The pattern in the cloth upholstry (squiggly lines) has worn..not completely gone yet..in roughly a 4 inch X 3 inch patch on the driver seat side bolster (the one nearest the door). Of course it has been worn due to entry and exit of the vehicle. On my last trip to the dealer the service manager readily saw this and agreed this should not have happened and ordered a replacement cushion seat cover. If this HAS happened to someone else and they have had a replacement cover installed how has the replacement held up? My question to everyone there was..."what are the chances the replacement cover will do the same thing? No answer.
    I remember there were people who had new Civics and were complaining about the struts failing very early on. My car is a 2007 EX coupe built in Canada in Oct. 06, I bought end of Mary 07. It has about 1800 miles on it and I believe the right front strut is leaking. I had the same problem with my 02 EX coupe with 17,000 miles at 3 years and built in Ohio. I'm curious to know if more people had leaks with cars built in Canada. This is very annoying. I love this car and just hope I'm not going to wind up having a lot of repair problems.
    I'm happy to read this. I haven't got the problem but it's nice to know Honda will replace it. Keep us posted.
    You shouldn't be happy...you should be concerned. The seat on this 2006 car with 9,600 miles shows more wear than the seats on our old 1995 Dodge Stratus and it has 189,050 miles. Honda SHOULD be replacing it (and any manufacturer would so nothing special there) but my main concern(aside from any incidental damage while removing the seats)is will the replacement fabric be any better?
  • whitewolfwhitewolf Member Posts: 13
    I bought an 06 Civic coupe LX, drove it for about 18 months with no problems at all. I finally gave it to my son and bought an 07 Civic coupe EX, I've had this one for about 4 months now and no problems at all. I would hope this is the norm for most Civic owners. The dealership is great (and nearby) and the salesman was fantastic I bought both cars from the same guy. While I was there I tested the SI great car if only it had an AT, and the s-2000 (fantastic and fun to drive)then drove away in my midnight black civic. I will stay with Honda as this has been a very positive experience and it really sounds like people are having problems with dealerships and their ability or willingness to fix problems.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Had the rear end torqued when I had the 5k service done but the noise in the rear has returned, though not as loud. Will have to have the dealer recheck this issue when I go in for the 10k service and see what's up. Besides this small issue, car's been great. Had the car realigned last week and it was only out a tiny bit, but they did straigten out the wheel...perfectly!

The Sandman :)
    Since everyone...or at least some are happy to tell me that THEIR Civic is perfect ( and good for you), no problems mine isn't. So I ask for someone with a similar problem to let me know their experience and apparently either I am the only one or...what?
    My civic is far from perfect.

Work done thus far:

Motor mount replaced

belt kit installed

panels popping out inside (corrected by me thanks to a helpfull person on 8thgencivic.com)

A front end crack that is yet to be diagnosed and is rather loud and annoying

Pulling to the right despite multiple alignments (there is a tsb out on this but I am not going to take it in since I plan on trading shortly)

Major front brake problems, 15K on the car and the brakes are grinding like crazy and the car is not abused nor do I drive like a maniac, nor do I ride my brakes.

Glass that is terribly scratched despite the fact I only use micro fiber cloths and water. Nothing abrasive has touched the glass. My glass looks like a car that has 10 years of driving on it.

Gas mileage that is less than stellar.

Interior plastic looks much older than the car is.

Other than that, the car is fine.

If I did not have the problem I have/had, I would keep the car a long time, my particular car, well it has not been a great feeling.
    Kero1, when you push against the door interior or lean against it does it leave white smudges? I can't figure out why this is happening and how to get it off. The car is at the dealer right now for what I thought was leaky struts, but they say it's a minor oil leak, whatever that means. The manager of the service dept. said they'd been having some problem with that, but all it took was some tightening up and maybe they'd have to order a part. I got a loaner and left the car there. I'll find out more when I pick it up later this week. I'm glad it's not the struts, but I'm now wondering if this is going to happen again and again and again. I love this car and want it to be fixed, but if it's going to cause me trouble I'll trade it in. Only had it 2 1/2 months! This will be my last of 4 Hondas if so.
  • jbrook10jbrook10 Member Posts: 7
    I just picked up a new 07 Civic EX and have a question about the air conditioning. I notice that when I am at a stop light with the AC on that something seems to switch on and off every 10 - 15 seconds. Maybe an air compressor? The air seems to stay cool just fine. Is this normal functionality for a Civic or something that a dealer needs to look into? Thanks.
    It is normal and not only for the Honda but for every car with AC. It is the AC compressor cycling on-off-on. You should be made aware however that there have been 2006 Civic AC complaints concerning warm air flowing out the vents when the compressor cycles off then returning to cold after it cycles back on. This complaint seems to present itself when idling at a red light rather than driving down the road.
    targettuning, is it easily fixed?
    Took the car into the dealer yesterday and got it back today. It wasn't the strut, it was something called a P/S pump inlet pipe that was leaking. From what I was told yesteday, P/S is power steering. I didn't notice anything that I would consider a problem while driving the car though. The work order says "Replace P/S pump inlet pipe and O-ring, add dye and test for leak"..."All OK at this time". The supervisor said they haven't had this often, but get little leaks every now and then. It sure left a lot of oil on my garage floor though.
  • tysalphatysalpha Member Posts: 51
    Have there been any resolutions to this problem (hot air coming out of the AC when the car is at idle)? My AC works great when the car is moving, but idling it gets hot unless it's on max. Wouldn't be such a problem but I live in a city/urban area and don't travel as much on the open freeway. I'm just about due for my 5000 mile service (07 ex coupe) and I'd appreciate any help if there's some way I should approach it with the service dept.

Thanks!
    To answer several questions about whether this "problem" has a fix. As far as I have been able to determine it isn't considered a problem by Honda. It is simply the way the A.C. system has been designed and as such it operates normally. I don't notice this too much because we live in a smaller city/large town and do not have to wait at traffic lights too much. So, while it has not been objectionable to me and I have not tried have it "fixed" others who post on this and other Civic owner sites have. From what I have read the dealer service department personnel almost to a man have stated this is normal operation. So, to those who experience this to the point of it being objectionable you can try to have it "fixed" but I think you will need...good luck! Additionally, the rate of the on/off cycle may be part of the programming within the vehicle engine management computer. If this is true then nothing short of a reflash will alter it.
    Yes, there was a Honda service bulletin issued that refers to that very pipe cracking. It is, I believe, a plastic part. I should have thought to ask what color the fluid/liquid you noticed was because PS fluid is usually red. One can determine the source of a leak many times by the color of the liquid