Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic 2006-2007 Issues

Comments

• joncw55joncw55 Member Posts: 3
    I have almost the same problem. when i get into my car in the morning and the engine is cold, start up the car and wait a little bit half a minute or so. when i pull away in first gear the car jerks and hesitates, it does it in second gear as well. once the car warms up it goes away. any luck with fixing this problem? I own an 08 Si and this is crazy....
    Was wondering if anyone has had the same issues as me. I just bought a 08 Civic Si. when i first get into my car in the morning and turn the wheel i get what sounds like a drum bang in the front of my car. the weird part is it only happens once. always when i first get into my car, then it goes away. does anyone have any idea what this could be? if someone to respond with any suggestions i would really appreciate it. this is BS on a brand new car. thanks
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Could it be the ABS doing a self-test? That is common on cars at start-up.
  • riddlermythriddlermyth Member Posts: 40
    Ok, so I *JUST* got my 08 Civic EX sedan 2 weeks ago. It has less than 400 miles on it, and Im starting to notice some weird things.

Most of my life I have driven either a Corolla (80%), Camry (10%), or Echo (8%), so Hondas are new.

Anyways, is it just me... or is it the car... its a bit hard to explain the matters, but I will try my best

1) the winshield wiper on the lowest speed (automatic) makes a noise... like its being turned on and off. Best example is if you take an electronic component and give it juice, and take it off. That click noise. this does not happen on the 2nd speed. Sorry, I'm a MechE so thats the best explanation I can give.

2) it seems as if the car goes into a higher gear when not needed. i haven't "tested" this... just going by when my mind thinks the car should go into the next gear

3) on a cool day (40 degrees, not any colder) - the car seems as if it wants some time to warm up... like, it will be really sensitive when I hit the accelerator... kind of respond slow.

4) ONCE, on a NORMAL day (50 degrees) the car had a tad bit issue starting up. it could have been me, cause the first time i tried i didnt "go all the way", so i stopped and tried again - and it took about 2x longer than usual. to feel secure, i turned it off, and tried 3rd time, and no problem.

like i said, im used to the Toyotas... so I dont know if its just me. Im going to drive it around a bit this week, and if i notice anything Im thinking of just taking it to the dealership. :confuse:
  • civic_si_06civic_si_06 Member Posts: 5
    Yo joncw55,

Yes the problem is really annoying. After meeting with the Honda dealership and getting no progress, I'm meeting with a Honda representative from Honda Corp. tomorrow to show him the problem. Hopefully something good comes out of it. It's just frustrating that the Honda dealership failed to acknowledge the issue. I will let you know what the outcome is tomorrow.
    Till then enjoy the "ride" in the morning :)
    Ok update,

I finally met with a Honda representative. We went on a test drive in my car but of course it barely shows up, how typical.
    But it was there, just mild symptoms. We also test drove a '07 model car and it seems to drive smooth so it may be just a '06 model issue. The Honda rep however did call another Honda employee who has the same make and model as us (Si '06) and confirm that the car had the same issue. So the rep will do further research. Not home yet but at least a little progress. I'll give an update whenever that is available. Peace.
    awesome thanks for keeping me up to date, i appreciate it. maybe its an si thing, mines an 08. which u would think if the 06's were doing it and they knew about it, they would fix it by now. regardless keep in touch and let me know. thanks again boss
    Tried starting the car today ... and NOTHING happend the first time. It was so weird. I put the key in, turned, and NOTHING. The lights for the odometer area may have turned brighter, but that's it. I wonder if theres something wrong with the battery...

I do always have my GPS plugged in (turned off when the car is off)... does that matter?
  • uhryniwuhryniw Member Posts: 5
    I have to also say, that I have been very happy with my Honda Civic. I originally wanted the Honda Accord but it was way too much car for me. I previously drove a Toyota Corolla so I was used to a smaller car. When I found my Honda I compared it to the Toyota Corolla. Test driving the Corolla almost felt like I was driving a "granny" car and when I drove the civic it was just like I was in a sports car and I fell completely in love with it inside and out. Also, Honda gave me more car for my money. With Toyota I had to pay extra for all the options that already existed in the civic. Up until discoverying this website I had no doubts about my car. Now when I get into it I listen for knocking, rattles, noise coming from my glove compartment and constantly checking for pulling one way or the other, no vibration in the engine even today I could barely hear the engine run. I even checked the Country Manufactured in and it was Canada so I felt doomed cause it seems like the worst cars came from Canada. I do have to say that I have always felt that the car had a bit of a hesitation when applying gas. Not always, just sometimes. Like a 1 second delay and than it would slightly jerk forward. Honda told me they would run a diagnostic and if there is a problem they will pay for it. If there isn't than I would have to cough up the money for diagnostic and labor. Does anyone know my rights? Why should I have to pay for a diagnostic when it's under warranty.

Any thoughts?
  • jkypajkypa Member Posts: 2
    My wife's car is a 2006 Civic LX. We had to replace both rear wheel bearings at 5K. The noise/grinding problem went away, but returned at 14K miles. This time, the problem turned out to be the left rear wheel bearing. We didn't have problems with it so far. Last week, the bearing noise came back on. It turned out to be the left rear wheel bearing again!

We raised some stink with the dealership (Victory Honda, Plymouth, MI) because they said that the car was out of warranty (which is true), and that there was indeed a wheel bearing recall, but that our car was not affected by it. We explained that (a) We would assume that warranty on the replaced bearings would be longer than the standard warranty because they were changed twice and (b) it could be that Honda probably hasn't published our VIN yet or that they are not aware of it.

In any case, the dealership worked it out directly with Honda and they replaced the wheel bearing again for no cost. Total of 4 rear wheel bearing replacements within in an year and half. We were, and have been, happy with the dealership. To answer an earlier post, the parts were ready (probably because they have enough cases of this issue being reported to them) and they installed it on the same business day.

Other than that, the car is great. The powertrain is smooth, we get really good gas mileage (32 city, 41 highway). Space (rear and trunk) is good. We love it so far, except for the wheel bearing issues.
  • kero1kero1 Member Posts: 154
    Your hesitation is most likely due to DBW or drive by wire, it's a known issue with other makes that with drive by wire setups, there is always a slight delay between when you hit the gas peddle and when the car reacts. Just the nature of the beast.

Funny, I traded my 06 civic and never looked back.

My wife has a 05 corolla LE and it has been the definition of what a car should be. Not one problem since day one, 20K later, nothing but reliable service, smooth ride, super gas mileage etc.

Of course it's not my style but her corolla ran circles around my 06 civic other than in the looks department.

My only grip with her corolla was the OEM tires suck and always have on the corllas for many years but they will be replaced shortly.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Also find this slight lag annoying but have found that if one positions the foot just right, it minimizes the lag effect. At least this has been working for me. Besides this, this is the best car I have owned...EVER! It fits me like a glove and when I hit the gas, the power feels seemless up the power band. Sweet sounding engine to.
    Having owned 4 Toyotas previously, Camry's & Corolla's, can honestly say this is the best I've ever owned. Since I added Honda rims, have gotten almost a dozen compliments on how good the car looks, one even from a Mercedes driver.
    16 months and still one happy pwner!

The Sandman :)
    Yup, I have noticed this too. A tad bit annoying :-(
  • jonbebopjonbebop Member Posts: 2
    I have an 06 civic with 42000 miles. i noticed my paint was beginning to crack on the hood and fenders about a month ago.
    I brought the car to my local dealer,not the dealer i bought from. They thought the car may have been painted and to take the car back to dealer i bought from. Long story short, my car was in a rear accident, i had the bumper replaced. but because my car show up in car fax being in a accident, the service basically accused me of lying. I contacted honda usa to get the process going. i met with a factory rep recently and they agreed to pain the hood and fenders, but not the bumper or any blending. i owe 9000 on the car, and i don't really feel it's fair to have brand new car with a bad paint job because honda has quality control issues. anybody with the same problems should bring a class action lawsuit against honda.
  • livingdead1334livingdead1334 Member Posts: 1
    :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: My wife and I purchased a new 2006 Honda Civic (from Ken Garff Honda Downtown Salt Lake, UT) and now have 36,000 miles on it. Now, the first time we had problems was when the cd player stopped playing cds intermittantly and it would even happen with brand new just opened disks (not just old ones). We had it replaced and it was fine for about 3 months and we had the same problem again, so it was again replaced. We had the engine replaced (the first time) when it overheated from a "porous water jacket" at 29,300 miles. 5,000 miles later the engine is replaced again for an oil leak, so now we're on our third engine. Roughly 500 miles later the left front strut had to be replaced as well as both sun visors (due to the plastic pieces where the hinges attach to the roof cracked, maybe due to heat, but they would not close). Now, roughly 600 miles later, our Civic is yet again at the dealership for a check engine light that they are saying is "fuel related" and that parts are on order. It's been there 5 days now, and thats all they've told us. Our service advisor always seems to be out. Everything that has been done has been covered under warranty and they've provided rental cars, but at what point is enough's enough? We live in Utah and the lemon laws are pretty rough. I've contacted Honda and they're sending it to a "case worker" to be reviewed, but I'm not going to take an extended warranty and call it good. Would you after dropping a considerable down on the car and making your monthly payments for the past two years and all this has happened within 36,000 miles? We need help and are not sure what to do. Typically, Hondas are supposed to be reliable, but how can so much go wrong with one NEW car?
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Fact of life; every manufacturer builds a lemon every now and again, Honda, Lexus, Toyota and Subaru included. Probably your best bet would be to contact a lemon law attorney in your state and get some legal advice.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Sorry to hear about all the problems with your.

Even though you problems were much worse than mine, my car had many things wrong that were replaced under warranty but at 16K, I had enough and was worried about the future problems after the warranty ran out.

I simply traded even though I loved the car despite it's problems. I did not feel confident with keeping it long term.

If a car becomes a big headache, I feel it should be traded as life has so many other things to worry about, why should a car be one of them.

I hope you get everything resolved.

I traded back to Subaru (had a 05 that was hit pretty bad) and their cars for the most part are super rock solid and super safe. I took a big hit on my 06 CIVIC LX sedan since I owed much more than it was worth but it was worth getting rid of the daily annoyances that I was experiencing.

At 16K the car (no damage or accidents, not even a single ding) lost a ton of money over the 2 years I owned it.

The place I traded (I know them well and they are honest) advised me people are trading their 06 civic like crazy because they are not happy with them. He said he did not want anymore after mine since selling them on the lot or at auction is a pain since they are so many.
  • kathyc1kathyc1 Member Posts: 138
    I've always heard that most lemon laws require the same item has to be replaced 3 times without success and then you can file a claim. I'd think you've reached that point. :lemon:
  • dentrekdentrek Member Posts: 8
    I feel for you on this issue. "I HAVE GOOD NEWS"
    I also purchased a 2006 Civic and I also had several problems. If you have 3 returns to the dealer in Alabama for the same problem they are required to buy the car back for the original purchase price under the LEMON LAW.

I simply arbitrated it through the Better Business Bureau and had a 1 hour hearing. I took the car back and was paid back for all the payments with interest and they took the car and also paid aff the lawn.

Sorry, but there is a procedure that you have to do but the BBB will have to help you with that. It is a free service also. Costed me nothing to do.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    Ok so I got a reply from the Honda rep and to make a long long story short. There is nothing they can do. He talked to a tech from Honda's tech-line and he is also aware of the issue but just says he just warms it up first. Who knows if this person is just blowing smoke. It's not an extreme case you are qualified for Lemon Law if an issue is looked at 4 times and no resolution can be found, but I would advise you to report this to Honda so they know other customers out there are experiencing the same problem.

Lemon Law Resource:
    http://www.lemonlawamerica.com/

E.g. for the state of Rhode Island:
    "The Rhode Island Lemon Law applies to new cars, vans, motorcycles or trucks (under 10,000 lbs) sold, leased or registered in Rhode Island, that suffer a nonconformity; a defect or condition that cannot be repaired after four attempts by an authorized manufacturer's dealership. This defect must substantially impair the vehicle's use, value or safety, and must first occur within the first 12 months or 15,000 miles, whichever comes first. The RI Lemon Law also applies to vehicles that are in the shop for repair thirty (30) or more calendar days during the first year."

Take it easy.
  • nealmnealm Member Posts: 41
    I need to get new tires for my 06 Civic coupe. I live in NY metro area so I need all season with a focus on performance. Michelin Pilot Exaltos seem just right but pricey. Any suggestions? Thank you.
  • jonbebopjonbebop Member Posts: 2
    I just replaced my tires at 42000 miles with goodyear rs-a 205 16.I bought them at mavis tire. They are holding up nice so far.they are good in the rain, haven't expeirenced snow yet. the are the same tires cops have on the cars. Set of 4 with balancing and alignment was about 500. make sure to get yours aligned, my previous set of tires didn't hold up to well .
    Hi,

Bridgestone Pole Position RE960 tires are very well rated. Many people from my subaru board by these tires and I have heard nothing but good things about them.

RM
    Have these on my '06 Civic now and with 11k on the odo, they seem to be holding up well. Had the alignment checked about a month ago and it was out just a smidge. Tires are wearing just fine. Got Traction T/A's for the wife's Mazda 3 in the same 205/55/16 size and they ride amazingly well for a mid priced tire. Sears sells them for just under $100. each. Very good wet & dry traction.

• kork13kork13 Member Posts: 90
    Hey, random thing, but has anyone noticed their 'Passenger Airbag Off' light to come on at random times? I only just noticed it today, but in a 30 minute drive, it lit up 3 times... I don't even know how to turn it off myself! Not sure how/why that's happening, but maybe that's normal? Anyone?

(btw, I've got an '07 Civic Si, if it matters...)
  • shawsdqshawsdq Member Posts: 1
    I'm guessing that you had something on the passenger seat. If who ever is sitting in that seat does not weigh the proper amount (maybe 110???) or something like that then the airbag will shut off because it assumes a child is in the seat. So maybe you had something on the seat like a backpack or something???
    When my 24 pound dog sits in the passenger seat that light stays on all the time.
    That makes sense... i had some books, laundry, and other stuff on there... possibly right about that line that says if it'll be on or off... Thanks, at least i don't have to worry about it being some sort of malfunction.
    Ran over a long nail on Saturday and noticed it on Sunday evening. Naturally it went in through the inside sidewall of the rear passenger tire so they couldn't patch it. Told me I'd need a new tire and since I wanted the same tread on the rear axle, had to spring for some new Fusion tires. Made by Bridgestone the sales guy said. Had just hit 11k miles also.
    The remaining front RS-A's still have decent tread left, he estimated about 10k more miles which will take me a year. But knowing me, once the ride gets squirrely up front, I'll just swap out the remaining two and have a matched set.
    Was I right about having the same tread on the same axle?

The Sandman :confuse:
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    That's what the general recommendation is. If you are shifting brands then replace them in pairs.

I had that happen to me in the past with a low mileage tire (however I expect ultimate tire life to be more like 40K+ miles).....so I just bought a single matching tire.
  • cz75cz75 Member Posts: 210
    Same tire model on the same axle, with oldest/least tread in front to keep the car in the most stable handling configuration.
    That's exactly what the tire guy said and it's what they did. Would've just gone ahead and purchased the 4 tires, but the fronts still have about 1/2 their remaining tread and $ is a bit tight right now so decided to hold off a bit. Got a feeling that these same Fusion tires will still be around within the next 6 months or so. If not, will buy their newer model.

• 2007civichybri2007civichybri Member Posts: 4
    Anyone having any luck on Rear Tire Noise. Took my 2007 Civic Hybrid to the Dealership today for tire noise after Tire Rotation at 8000 miles. Was told there was a problem with rear suspension/ chamber and Honda was aware and working on the problem, but for how long? The only current solution to help with the noise was to move the front tires back to the rear. Am I correct that the warranty is 12000 miles if / so @ 650 mile per week to a from work, I will most likely run out of warranty miles prior to Honda coming up with a fix. I have seen from the forums this has also been a problem with some 2006 models. The dealership said my problem with rear tire noise would be filed with the others and I would be notified when a fix was available. I was lead to believe that this was a new problem. Any suggestions
  • rwhrwh Member Posts: 29
    I own a 2007 Civic. I just received a safety update at work from our rental fleet people. Reading it over I was surprised to see the Civic didn't make the list. You can see it here:

http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr111507.html
    Your vehicle warranty is 36,000 miles.
    The reason the Civic wasn't listed is that it fails to meet one of the hard criteria for making the list: Civic does not come with or offer the option of ESC (Electronic Stability Control).
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I thought Civic Si offers ESC?
  • conlin2006conlin2006 Member Posts: 4
    Hello,

I have an automatic 2006 Honda Civic EX which I just purchased this year. I am now experiencing problems with shifting it out of Park. The problem occurs when it is Cold. It some times requires me to play around with it for 5-10 minutes before it will shift into gear. When the car is hot, the problem is not as bad, but it still acts up.

I was thinking it is the shift lock mechanism but I am not sure. Has anyone had any similar problems and if so, how were they resolved (besides going to the dealer). Are there any quick fixes or places I should be looking in order to solve the problem.

Thanks,

JAY
  • civic0728civic0728 Member Posts: 5
    Experienced similar issue with my 2006 Civic when parked on inclined surfaces, and using the handbrake for these circumstances has resolved the issue. :)
  • mamamathmamamath Member Posts: 4
    I had that problem with my 2006 Civic. It was a "sensor" that had to do with the brake. In fact, when the car is in park, and you press on the brake and listen really closely near the gearshift, you will hear a "click" to show that it is working properly. No click, and the car will not shift out of park.
    Mine was under warranty, and the dealer fixed it. I am not sure if it is a quick "do it yourself" fix.
    Nancy
    my mother had a very similar problem, though admittedly on a Volvo... just to illustrate it's not a honda-specific issue. Anyway, she brought it to she shop and they fixed it real easy. I'm not much of a mechanical person, but I'd honestly just rather have the shop fix it than try to have a jerry-rig solution, or just try to ignore it entirely. But again, just me...
    It does.
  • conlin2006conlin2006 Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for the information Nancy.

I dropped by Honda on Monday afternoon and explained the problem to them. They took the car into the shop without an appointment and made an adjustment to the shift lock switch located under the driverside dash. Apparently, when the brake is depressed it comes into contact with the switch, which then unlocks the gear shift. In my case the switch came out of adjustment resulting in a locked gear shifter. Problem solved...

Thank you to everyone who responded to my inquiry.

JAY
    I know I saw this some time ago, but I can't find it. I'm showing 40% oil usage and I'm wondering how low I should let it get before getting the oil changed. This would be the first one and I have less than 4000 miles on it.
    Just wait until it's getting down toward zero and have the oil changed.
    I wonder whether the oil moniter is reading sensors in the oil or programed to generate a decreasing % based on miles driven and type of driving. I use synthetic and change between 4-5000 miles, sometimes less if I'm taking a longer trip. I've had two Nissan Maximas that had over 230,000 doing this based on advise I've read from auto writer/technician in the newspaper. I hope I can get long mileage on this 4 cyl. and see that Consumer Reports chose the Civic as a great longevity car.
    Does anyone out there have any educated opinions on this? Am I wasting time and money by not waiting until the moniter gets to 0%? Thanks
    shipo, I was thinking I read someone said 30%, and I looked in the book and it seemed to say if it gets down to 20-15% you should do it ASAP. I was asking because I was wondering what others had been doing. I always read that you can go 5000 miles easily without changing oil, at least that's what Click and Clack say to do. Hmmm.
    Why I have yet to verify this directly from Honda, by all accounts the Honda OLM system calculates the time for the next oil change the same as other manufacturers, which is to say by measuring the amount of fuel burned since the monitor was last reset. This system has been independently proven effective by Mercedes-Benz, Porsche and BMW and is now in wide use by pretty much everybody else, errr, at least the companies that use an OLM system.

As for changing synthetic oil every four to five thousand miles, that's a complete waste of time, oil and money, your cars would have seen the far side of a quarter of a million miles with oil changes at two or even three times that mileage. FWIW, I pulled the heads off of one of our cars last summer, a car with nearly 145,000 miles on it and had only had its Mobil 1 changed every ten to twelve thousand miles since it was new. So? Well, believe it or not, the cylinder walls still had the factory honing marks easily visible to the naked eye on all six cylinders. Given that I've torn down many-many engines and never seen an engine lubricated with conventional oil go even 75,000 miles with such a small amount of wear, I was really impressed.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1418/751628521_5567e459ae_o.jpg

As for waiting until the OLM shows a lower percentage, per Honda’s recommendations, many dealers won't even do an oil change unless the monitor shows less than 15%. That and the fact that Honda strongly recommends leaving the factory fill of oil (with a break-in additive) in for the full duration (i.e. waiting until the monitor says to change it). Personally, if I do end up with a Civic, I won't even bother with the first oil change until the monitor is under 10%, and even then I'll wait until it is convenient.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Hey Shipo, thank you for that info filled response. I will extend my change intervals with synthetic. Now another question for Civic owners. Do you ever need to add oil before a change? I've been near low after 3000 miles and have no leak (w/ synthetic). Also, it is sometimes difficult to get a clear read on the dip stick!
    Thanks again for the time and effort of your response. Neal
    To throw in my two cents, my Si went to 15% at about 5900 miles, and then I finally brought it in for its first oil change at about 6200 miles. Really, I find it's just as easy to follow the OLM. 10-15%, get the oil changed...

About the OLM, however, is there a way for us to reset it on our own if we don't get the oil changed at the dealer? While they do a fine job, I'd just as soon skip their fees and do it myself with the oil I want (they wouldn't put anything in except for their Honda-branded oil... I tried). I know that they also have those crushing O-rings you're supposed to use, where can you get those?

In the 6800 miles that I've owned my car, I've never had to add any more oil to it, and the level has stayed where it should just fine.