Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic 2006-2007 Issues

Comments

• bellagiobellagio Member Posts: 16
    Diagrams, is the vibration you noticed happening all the time or just while braking?
    I have an '07 EX with 24,000 miles on it and just in recent weeks noticed my steering wheel vibrating while braking at highway speeds. I had my tires rotated at about the same time I noticed the problem, so I'm wondering if it had anything to do with that.
    This is happening way too early for warped rotors.
  • xxyxxy Member Posts: 16
    Honda 5-9-07 and have just put my 4th set of tires on. 6-11-08 This is unbelieveable to say the least,
  • angryinbuffaloangryinbuffalo Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Honda Civic, bought it new and have had it for 14 months. When I turned the air conditioning on for the first time this year, it blew hot air. I brought it in to the dealer today and was told that a stone pierced the unit and fluid leaked out. They are claiming that Honda is not responsible, that it is not covered under warranty and that I have to pay $525 to get it fixed. I immediately contacted the Torrance, CA office and got a similar song and dance. I believe this is a flaw in the design of the car and want to see if others have experienced this. What would keep the problem from happening again if I were to pay for it to be repaired??? They said it's like a stone hitting your windshield. Huh?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Your story isn't abnormal. In fact, I've read this several times on the Odyssey forum as well.

It really is sorta like a rock hitting your windshield, or hitting your bumper, and causing damage.
  • angryinbuffaloangryinbuffalo Member Posts: 2
    Are the Odyssey owners paying for the repairs???
    Yes, the Odyssey owners are paying.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    Yes this story has been retold here many times since the 2006 redesign came about. It may not be abnormal as far as Honda (who has to foot the repair bill) is concerned but it seems the Civic in its new clothes is especially vulnerable to this type damage. Lets put it another way, I have been driving cars of many different makes, years, and models with AC for years and years and (knocks wood here) none have had this problem nor have I seen it as a particular problem in any of the sites dedicated to those cars. To be fair we own a 2006 Civic and I have not had it with this car either..lucky???
  • will26will26 Member Posts: 62
    You know those mesh grills you see on other cars? For example the Toyota Corolla or Camry? Well I had my boyfriend put that in for me. It took a few hours but now I feel safer that a stone won't hit and it looks pretty nice too. I don't know where he got the mesh from and it's not something that can be ordered specifically for the Civic. I think you can get a roll of it on an auto website. You can get black or silver. My car is black and since the mesh sits so far back you can't really tell it's there.
  • nealmnealm Member Posts: 41
    Can you describe specifically where the mesh was placed and how it was done? What's the mesh made of and how small is the mesh itself? Thanks very much for this useful info.
  • will26will26 Member Posts: 62
    The mesh has probably 1/4 inch diamond holes. Pretty sure it's stainless steel since there are no signs of rust after a year of wear. If you do an internet search for mesh grill you can pull up a lot of information and where to buy.

The mesh is placed right behind the grill. Check out this link: http://www.collegehillshonda.com/storeart/8thgensedan/sigrille.jpg
    He had to drill a hole on each side where that solid plastic is so that might be out for some people but it's not that noticeable.
    Sandman, and others,

My father had a very unpleasant conversation with our dealer about getting some money back on their tires that went bad at 30k (now on set 2 at 49k). After getting the sales manager and service manager on a conference call and blasting them after the first call telling dad to "call the 1800 number", they are now talking to the regional rep, who has promised some reparation.

I'll keep you posted!
  • bobintampabobintampa Member Posts: 10
    I'm taking our 2007 Civic in for the ABS wheel sensor o-ring check tomorrow and will have them inspect the tires for uneven wear. We've had the car for about 1 yr now and it has about 11k on it. I don't see uneven wear on the inside portion of the tread of the rear tires. I will say that when i drive the car on the highway (live in Tampa, FL) the car feels a little *twitchy/nervous* in the back. This may(?) be a characteristic of the car, I don't normally drive this car as my daughter takes it to college. So.... to get to my point.... since the Civic is such a big seller I was wondering why this isn't more of a wide spread problem?? Are only 'some' of the upper control arms bad? Are there other factors involved here (i.e. tire pressure)? I really feel for the folks with the issue, especially the folks who have replaced multiple sets of tires before the dealer realized that it was this suspension issue. Anyone else have any thoughts on why this is not more widespread? To close, I love Hondas and I love the Civic. :shades:
  • kathyc1kathyc1 Member Posts: 138
    On the ABS wheel sensor o-ring...is that a problem? Or is that part of the rear cambers? I remember when I had the cambers checked they said something about the ABS. I've had my car a little over a year (2007 civic coupe) now with 7100 miles on it and no problem yet with the tire wear.
  • ttg911ttg911 Member Posts: 45
    That's nothing short of ridiculous, bquigley125. I have a 2006 Civic Sedan with 24,000 and my rear tires are completely shot. They are the crappy Bridgestone’s, so I know that's part of it, but come on! I buy a Civic for things to last, not to start pouring $$ into it 18-months from the date of purchase. I am taking the car to the dealer ASAP with this (see link below) TSB in hand. I hope this helps you as well and others that are in the same boat. If enough people complain to Honda, they will listen.

http://uabvda.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pCDr9JsQXeMZt1XDYcmkh4cM1XRXEuqnIhDdAAu7Z6- - T393AsdghY8g9GTfz_lYVbM2Cdk9YyXsJg/rear%20upper%20control%20arms%20bulletin.pdf?- - download
    I'll be sure to let you know my outcome, maybe that'll help yours. My folks are working on getting their last set of tires paid for partially.
    Agreed and please do keep me posted as I would love to know the outcome of your very legitimate dispute. Good luck!
    Thanks. I have high hopes, as the sales manager's daughter has the same car which he purchased for her, and replaced tires at 22k miles. He didn't realize there was a problem until my dad told him about it rather angrily (angrily because he kept getting sluffed off by the service manager).
    Only the first page came up of the TSB and without the pictures. I got this several months ago from someone else who sent it on this site and that's when I had the car checked by the dealer. It was fine then, but I'm wondering if I should have them check it periodically when I take it in for service.
  • tjs01tjs01 Member Posts: 34
    Is there a website that posts Honda TSBs?
  • roley5793roley5793 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks, ttg911 for the TSB - worked fine for me. I hope this helps me when I take my Civic to the dealer. Keep you posted and thanks again!
  • drmbbdrmbb Member Posts: 80
    The O-ring issue is a separate recall. I got mine in the mail (and it popped up on owners link) a couple of months ago. Took it in and there was nothing to be done.

The issue is that improper O-rings may have been used on some 2007's in the wheel bearing seal with the ABS speed sensor. If they leak, water can get into the bearings.

When I took mine in, my dealer had already inspected several of them, and none had actually had the improper O-rings, so it's one of those things where some will actually have the problem, many will not (but their production dates make them suspect, hence the recall and inspection).

With the same notice, I also got a recall notice that excess silicone grease may have been used on the telescoping steering column. The excess could cause the brake light switch to fail (not the brakes themselves, just the brake lights). For that one, they just pull the steering column, clean up the excess grease, re-grease it properly and put it back together (took about 30-40 minutes).

you can read the notices at (the two I got are the first two):
    http://www.lemonauto.com/complaints/honda/honda_civic.htm
  • flacarflacar Member Posts: 2
    I have a new Civic Ex and I live in Florida. After the initial hot air is expelled , the air starts to turn cold. Then the car blows cold air for 10 seconds and hot air for 2 seconds. It repeats this for the entire ride. This happens at high fan and on low fan speed. It happens diving 30 mph or 70 mph on the highway.
    I keep the A/C on MAX A?C, recircled air, not fresh air.

Has anyone experienced this A/C problem?, it never really cools the car down.
    I live in Florida, where the air is hot and muggy, Please help.
    The only thing I can think similar to this in my parents' 2007 Civic is that the A/C compressor cuts off when you accelerate moderately hard, in order to deliver more power. It's enough to be noticeably warmer. They have an EX, and live on the Alabama Gulf Coast (minutes from the FL line) so I understand how hot and humid it can get.
  • newcivicmannewcivicman Member Posts: 14
    Try putting on the AC button and the recirculate button on at the same time...not MAXAC. I had the same problem on my 06 LX and asked the service tech at the dealer and this is what he suggested. I'm not sure the reason, but the system blows colder air.
    Here's the US version of the rear upper control arms/abnormal rear tire wear. TSB 08-001 was issued on January 2008. Hope this helps everybody. My Honda dealer replaced the rear upper control arms, but said I am 'out of luck' on the tires even though my fronts are 5/32 and the rears are 2/32. I told them if they don't replace the tires I will never buy a Honda again and so the case is currently under review. My suspicion is they will offer 50% support. Anybody else had any luck getting tires?

http://uabvda.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p5dVnX3NhP3b6p5e-GHOrwTZHyqlbEZlfE9HU0P66V- 2y_wgfg5LAEzN6QAhv1yfGQvhx-MkigYBGwW27MXgL4aQ/TSB%2008-001.pdf?download
  • jpcanaverajpcanavera Member Posts: 33
    I'm really not sure what you are accomplishing here since the only thing the max ac button does is give you one button option rather than hitting two. Hitting max ac simply turns on the air conditioner and puts the venting system on recirculate. No more no less. You accomplish the same result if you push the ac button, then hit the recirculate. Any Honda which I have owned with this button does the same thing.

I punched around on '07's system yesterday and noted that hitting the max ac button a second time leaves the ac on, but changes the vent system to bring in outside air rather than recirculating.

Jack
    I punched around on '07's system yesterday and noted that hitting the max ac button a second time leaves the ac on, but changes the vent system to bring in outside air rather than recirculating.

Hm, didn't know that. I have a "Max A/C" button in my 2006 Accord, I'll have to see if it does that. I'll have to tell my dad his 2007 Civic does that, too.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Had a rather sizeable oil leak in the garage this morning under the front left side of the Civic. Picked it up with a paper towel and brought it to the dealer service department. Tech said it was oil but when the car was on the lift...perfectly dry everywhere. Even used a portable light to look for sticky leaks and all was dry. He was stumped and they sent me on my way. Oil level was fine and the filter was on correctly also.
    Am a bit uneasy now but at least it's documented and still have 11 months on my warranty, as i'll see the 3 year mark way before the 36k mileage mark. Any suggestions as to what may be the cause here? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The Sandman :confuse:
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Did they check the transmission fluid level, and the radiator fluid level?
    They said they checked every fluid in the car...and they even brought me out to the workroom floor to look for myself. Guess we'll have to take a wait and see attitude here. They were very accomodating on this and the ABS sensor recall but not on the tire wear problem. So that's 2 out of 3...not great but not that bad I suppose!

The Sandman :(
    I haven't left you hanging regarding my dad's 2007 Civic. The 2nd set of tires is starting to get REALLY ANNOYING to him and he really wants to buy more, but is still waiting to hear back from Honda about what they might do for him.

He keeps trying to tell them they sold him a car with a known problem, and that he wouldn't have bought more tires if this problem was made public. They just keep telling him he isn't understanding the difference in a recall and a TSB.

Things don't look terribly promising, but I'll keep you posted.

TheGrad
    Was there today and mentioned my tire issue also and basically got the same run a round...shame on Honda! They have sold a product with a known defect as you say and won't step up to the plate...their bad! Not a happy camper here and calling the 800 number has been futile as well.
    This and the mysterious oil leak of today has made me lower my opinion of Honda honestly. I wonder if the other foreign brands are still treating their customers this badly as they had in the past. Always heard that Honda was the best at customer service but now I'm having my doubts...and it doesn't feel good!

The Sandman :mad:
  • pelegrinpelegrin Member Posts: 3
    My 2007 Honda Civic started vibrating at 3000 miles. I finally brouhgt it in at the 22k mark. the vibration gaot considerable worse at any speed above 50 mph. Hobbs Honda replaced the rear upper control arms but took no responsibility for the damaged tires and told me to check with Goodyear. The Goodyear people were great they gave me some credit about 60% for tires with 22k on them. But they said the Honda dealer didn't do a rear alignment on the car. That cost me another $60. Honda knows they have a defective product but are making us pay and Goodyear for it! I almost lost control of the car driving it in the rain to the dealer and I believe the tires bouncing off the pavement was a big contributer. I am sure there probably been several accidents caused by Honda's neglect. Class action suit
    When my case was opened with Honda, it only took the person assigned to my case 3-days to talk to me and then talk to all the other parties involved (dealers) and make a decision. Honda decided to replace the rear upper control arms, do a full 4-wheel alignment, and cover my tires (have 28,000 miles on them) for 50%. I pushed them more and they agreed to cover 50% of all 4-tires.

So, just got back from the dealer and they installed 4 new tires and did the TSB for about $300. I agree tires wear, but my argument to them is they are wearing much faster than normal due to defective parts that were installed at the factory. I hope everybody pushes Honda a bit on this because I truly believe it's a safety issue as well. I am going to make a complaint to the US DOT as I think Honda should have done a recall vs. issue a TSB (or, as I saw someone else in this forum call it, a “u-call”).

The fact of the matter is, with a TSB, the end consumer never has the privilege to see it; it's for internal use only at dealers and that's wrong. Only when the consumer complains of symptoms that make the dealer suspect the TSB will they investigate. If you get a bad or busy deler, they may miss it (as in my case) and then you have to waste a lot of time chasing the issue.

That being said, here is the US TSB for everybody to read and good luck to all:

http://uabvda.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p5dVnX3NhP3b6p5e-GHOrwTZHyqlbEZlfE9HU0P66V- - - 2y_wgfg5LAEzN6QAhv1yfGQvhx-MkigYBGwW27MXgL4aQ/TSB%2008-001.pdf?download
  • mikpaqmikpaq Member Posts: 2
    I have been driving my '07 2 door civic coupe for 1 year, and have always noticed some vibration in the front end from anywhere between 55 and 70 mph. I could never pintpoint it. I realized it was strong when I was getting a strong headwind. I believe the black cowling at the front end is soft and flexible enough that it is vibrating at certain conditions, it doesn't always do it. With 30K plus miles on the stock tires I figured if it was a tire problem it would be all the time and there would be wear patterns. There aren't.

My $.02.
  • cartagramcartagram Member Posts: 115
    I just bought a used 2007 LX automatic and have an intermittent buzz from the glove box. It seems to be intermittent, not dependent on outside temp, how long the car has been running, or road surface. When it occurs, it's a near-constant buzz; sometimes it just buzzes when I drive over a patch of rough pavement. And sometimes it doesn't make any sound.

Closing the glove box hard, or pressing it gently closed, doesn't seem to make a difference.

I've read this forum's descriptions of problems with the front suspension components (or was it engine mounts?). But I was wondering, could I tighten something in the dash or glove box to see if that's the cure to my particular buzz?

Also, on hot days, when I have the turn signal stalk down or up for a turn, I can hear a ratcheting noise when turning the steering wheel. Is that normal?

Thanks! I love driving this car and I'd like to tweak these two problems to make the driving even more enjoyable.
    The ratcheting noise is normal, and should occur regardless of temperature.

See why here.
  • kelli5kelli5 Member Posts: 3
    i think this is a minor problem that is very easily corrected. i only noticed that something like that can happen after my mom wrecked her car last year, and once it came from the shop she kept complaining of the gap on 1 side of the trunk being bigger than the other side. i then started looking at MY trunk and it wasn't perfectly alligned either, it's just that if you don't specifically look for it, you don't see it... anyway, i took her car back to the body shop and they re-alligned it, no problem. if you look at other cars' hoods and trunks you will see that no car has a perfectly alligned hood or trunk. but if it bothers you, you go get that fixed. you paid for the car...
  • studdlystuddly Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2007 Civic 4dr w/o navigation and have an annoying little rattle coming from the dash. It is either by the radio or over the glove box. I can't yet narrow it down. I especially hear it when the ac is on? Any thoughts or comments on how to resolve it?
  • fastdetectfastdetect Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem, but it's fixed now. I hope this can help you: Use electrical tape and roll it over the metel on the dash where the dash locks/clicks into the body(middle top of the dash where you open it). However, going over that metal piece more than twice may cause your dash to get close very hard, so use it wisely and start with a shorter length of tape first! If you put more/ less than whatever amount of tape needed, you will hear the rattle less, but it wouldn't go away for ever. Also what I have noticed is that dash rattle is not the only thing that you might hear, but it's the combination of dash rattle and the storage rattle between the two front seats (not the cup holder) which happens at once. Putting your hand on the storage for a moment on it would solve the problem temporary. Right now that I'm writting this, my civic doesn't have the annoying rattle which makes me happy. I hope this works for you.
  • cartagramcartagram Member Posts: 115
    I understand the mechanics of the turn signal but my experience is that the hotter the turn signal stalk, the more likely that the turn signal ratcheting will sound when turning the steering wheel.

The flat-black of the stalk becomes very hot to the touch. And the ratcheting sound will occur whether turning the steering wheel back manually toward center.

I'll keep an ear turned to it to see if there's anything else that occurs at the same time.
  • ladder017ladder017 Member Posts: 1
    What a coincidence! My 2008 Civic has exactly the same symptoms at 12,000 miles. The technician said something is causing the rear tires to "Cup" and make excessive road noise and vibration at speeds around 70 MPH. I have had it in 3 times, and I am about to go get it from the shop again. The service department says that Honda had a problem in 2006 and 2007 models with the rear tires cupping because an "arm" was too short, but they had fixed the problem in the 2008 models. NOT! They just told me that they would not pay for new tires, or make any type of adjustment because tires are not warrantied. Too bad. I am sure that the 165 people I work with, the 80 firefighters that I volunteer with, and the 50+ members of my extended family will be happy to know how much I like my Honda and the service.
  • wbeattiewbeattie Member Posts: 9
    RE: 2007 Civic Sedan Noise # 949

The NHTA is investigating this problem with the Honda Civic. You need take the time to enter your complaint with them. There are many owners of the newest model of the Honda Civic that are experiencing the same problem. Rapid tire wear is a very serious problem and the people who have bought this model should be warned of this condition.
    The fact that Honda does not want the financial responsibility of replacing these defective tires caused by the suspension defect in their car just shows their irresponsibility. Honda should at least have a voluntary recall of this car.
    To the owners ot the 2006-2007 Honda Civic, please take the time to go to the NHTA web sight and enter your complaint.
  • alexandyalexandy Member Posts: 16
    Hello: Just wondering what you all think about and would do about the following...:
    traded Accord DX in on 07 Civic Coupe EX mid-year 2007. Started having Tire wear issues and at ~6,000 miles, brought it in to dealership (at this time, no TSB had been issued) Basically got the run-around and they tried to sell me new tires. Ended up replacing the stock Bridgestone Turanza with 17" Yokohama S-drives on Honda Factory Performance 7-spoke wheels. Started seeing tire wear problems and stumbled upon the TSB about the same time. Called local dealers and only 1 had even heard of an performed the TSB. I asked if they had the proper equipment to perform alignment (last step) and was told they didn't but would order. Opened up Case with Honda America. Over month later, parts came in but they didn't get the proper alignment equipment (Hunter Alloy Clamp). Again, called Honda America. Started performin "Very frequent" tire rotations in vain attempt to prevent tires from cupping. Finally agreed to install our Accord V6 wheels on the Civic so the closest dealer could perform the TSB...ordered parts, took over 2 weeks to come in. Performed the TSB but couldn't do the alignment "Unless the original 16" wheels were on the car" aahhh. After another week, the dealer finally agreed to swap wheels just to perform the alignment (by the way, while doing the TSB, Dented the lower body panel just in front of left rear wheel...still trying to get that fixed. Got new Yokohame S-drives installed by local tire dealer and am now waiting on Honda America...I have spent $1,352 on tires/mounting/balancing and have just over 15k miles (Out accord has ~34k miles and original tires are about 1/2 worn. I get the feeling in discussions with my Case Manager (Brian Perez) that they are going to give me "little, if anything" as compensation because I changed tires the first time "On my own" and these 2nd set of tires were "Pretty well worn out" (due to the Alignment problem). I feel like "punting" and moving over to Toyota after this. Thoughts? What would you do?
    thanks,
    Gary
    For those interested, the details of my dad's 2007 Civic EX Sedan and its Control Arm/Tire Replacement issues can find them earlier in this forum. Sandman had been following closely, and I wanted him to know - my dad ended up getting nothing, despite two runied sets of tires.

My folks recently bought a 2008 Taurus (yes, the renamed and upgraded Ford Five Hundred) as their highway/travel car. My dad told the sales manager who was "helping" him with the tire issue that this would very possibly be his last Honda. After how he was treated, my 2006 Accord might be my last one, as well.
  • cmruffcmruff Member Posts: 15
    And I had a rather sizeable leak yesterday AM under front end of 2006 Civic EX, 37000 miles. My leak was obviously green antifreeze. Added H2O, went to work, topped off last night w/ H2O, another small puddle this AM (maybe 2 cups or so). Have appointment with dealer Thursday and have a water bottle with me!
    Ideas??
    Oddly, I have in the last couple of weeks noticed a funny smell when I'd turn on the AC. This is not the first time I've used the AC but it IS the first time I'd noticed the smell and meant to have it checked. The antifreeze puddle upped the ante. Could there be a connection? Otherwise the car runs great. It did have the funny buzz from somewhere (sounded like forward of the front dash) at 70 mph; had that checked in 2006 but dealer couldn't hear it. (And they pointed out local hwys don't let them go 70! But most of the roads I go on are at LEAST 70?!!) Anyway, either the buzz is gone or I'm too used to it to notice anymore.
    But anyone out there with antifreeze leak info? The car's been in no accidents and I'm the original owner. Drat - I buy Hondas so things like this don't happen!!!!
    Thanks for the update...shame Honda won't step up to the plate when a customer comes in with the same complaint. Still love my Civic but disappointed in Honda.
    Just got home with a week long rental of a Pontiac G6 and was amazed at how good a road car it is. Had the 2.4 4 cylinder model and with 5 people and a trunk full of stuff, car handled exceptionally well on the Florida Turnpike. If we needed that size car, would ddefinitely add this to any list. Hertz had a '08 Accord but the rental guy wouldn't let me take it after numerous requests. Guess he was pissed that the Equinox he gave the wife couldn't drive so we made them switch it out.

The Sandman :)
    Got a notice from Honda last Wednesday about a problem with the manufacturer of a component of the water pump and to bring it in to the dealer to install a new water pump kit. Took it in last Friday and asked them about the a/c reflash I've heard so much about and the rear upper control arms TSB. They took care of the 1st two issues and called and said they couldn't do the TSB 08-001. Got to the dealer and they had decided to do the upper control arms as a goodwill gesture. Said to send in my receipts to Honda corporate to see about any possible $ back for the new tires also. Was very happy with the work. A/C works like it normally did, glad to have the most current program for the compressor though.

The Sandman :)
    sandman, by sending you a notice do you think they're saying if you don't get a notice then you shouldn't worry about this? A little over 2 years ago I took my 2002 Civic coupe in and the problem was the timing belt tensioner and the water pump. Now I'm wondering if my 2007 Civic coupe is having the same problem.