Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Ranger Transmission Questions

Comments

• EMT907EMT907 Member Posts: 3
    Correction: It has about 143k miles.
  • fomocobro1fomocobro1 Member Posts: 3
    i was driving my 93 4x4 4.0 5 speed and all of a sudden it just either threw the clutch or the tranny or t/c went bad...it just started to free spin then when i stopped there was smoke comin from the bell housing and some god awful noise when i let the clutch out in gear or neutral,but when i press the pedal it stops..it trys to go and then it makes the noise..sounds like something bangin around in there or somethin..wouldnt it just seize if the tranny went out or would it make those noises like somethin is rolling around in the bell housing...hard to describe the noise..what do u guys think it is?
  • pops13pops13 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 97 ranger 5 speed stick that sometimes is hard to shift into 2nd gear, only 2nd, the other gears are easy, anyone have any ideas why?
  • pops13pops13 Member Posts: 3
    sounds like you have clutch problems, dont try to drive it, have it towed to a shop or home, not much action on this site is there?
  • 440duster440duster Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99' Ranger XLT 4X4 3.0L auto. I have lost reverse, but shifts great otherwise. I've been looking for a good used tranny, but all I can find are 2WD models. My question is, can the tail housing be swapped out to bolt up to my transfer case? And if so, how difficult of a job is it? It is the 4R44E model.
  • stevegintnstevegintn Member Posts: 9
    I have an '88 Ranger, 2.9 V6, automatic that I just had a new (rebuilt) engine installed. However, after getting it back from the shop, the transmission will not shift into overdrive.

The transmission was rebuilt about 3 years ago, and has about 5K on it.

The repair shop that replaced the engine says it's not *their* fault. The transmission shop that did the r&r on it says it's prob 'electrical' (maybe a solenoid) and wants $400 to fix (crazy!).

Any ideas?
  • UnhappyUnhappy Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I have a 2003 Explorer Sport, and I believe it has the same body as a Ford Ranger. It has 58,500 miles and is under a 100K, 7 year warrantly. I was told by my Ford repair shop that I need to have the Clutch Slave Cylinder replaced, and the price is $700 plus, as my warranty will not cover it. They it is not part of the transmission. From what I read in this blog, this appears to be a known design defect with this truck. Although I've been a Ford owner all my life, I think it's time to switch.
    Yeah, that bites, don't it?! - but 'clutch' anything should be part of Ford's 'Drive Train Warranty'. I'd consult another Ford shop, or contact Ford Motor Company, Inc.

My Dad drove Ford trucks all his life, and I have, too - own 3 right now - would NEVER switch to Chevy or Dodge! (don't even mention a rice-burner).
  • jre56jre56 Member Posts: 7
    I don't have any technical advice but the shop is responsible since it was working before they did the engine overhaul.Are you sure they hooked the O.D. wire up?
    What's the 'overdrive wire'? (I'm not sure about anything they did)
  • UnhappyUnhappy Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your reply. I talked to both Ford Motor Company and the Extended Warranty company. Ford has 4 Extended Warranty Programs: I have the next to the top, and only the most expensive program covers it as a separate item. They say it is not covered as part of the transmission.

So, apparently, this part can go out anytime, regardless of mileage, and each time, Ford gets to drop the transmission to replace it, and charge the consumer over 5 times the worth of the repair. I no longer trust Ford.
    OK, well, sorry to hear that - most people (like us) don;t have a clue about the 'fine print' in those so-called warranties. I had a similar experience, years ago, with a then-new '92 F-150. The fuel pump went out, which was (brilliantly) under the bed - cost me several hundred dollar for them to basically, remove the truck bed, to get to a 50 dollar part. That was pretty tough, as I was still paying (Ford) for the truck.
    Just to update on this, my transmission shop (that rebuilt it, 3 years ago) finished going through the transmission, and said THERE IS NO PROBLEM with it. They now think it's an ECM (electronic control module, aka 'brain') issue, as several fault codes came up, including codes for (guess what?), the overdrive and the cruise control (which also quit working). So that points back to the engine replacement job. Going to see an attorney about it, Monday.
  • mgrif58mgrif58 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Ford Ranger 4X4 with 3.0 engine. (I just bought it, so I do not know it's history).
    The transmission seems to shift fine. Has a whine in first. Was told this is a normal noise for Ford Rangers. I took it to my local Ford dealer for a transmission analysis. Apparently their diagnosis disclosed no code problems or issues. They determined the noise is in first and reverse. They say it is a "planetary" issue. They want to "further explore" the problem. Stated may have debris in the pan / throughout the transmission. (Extra money to pull the pan of course.) The fluid does seem dirty. Not bright pink as should be. They claim changing the fluid will not correct the problem. It seems to me that changing the fluid and filter could improve the function of the unit. I always thought the filter prevented debris from getting into the unit. So what am I missing here?
  • cfowleroncfowleron Member Posts: 14
    You're correct in your assumption regarding the filter & yes changing both the filter and fluid will allow the unit to function properly, but maybe only for a time. If Ford suspects a "planetary" issue then they suspect the gears. Planetary is a method of gearing much like the planets rotate around the sun the gears rotate around a sun gear and they all operate within a ring gear (someone correct or provide a better explanation?). If this is the case, perhaps what you are hearing is the gears rubbing (not quite grinding yet) and the shavings are soiling the fluid. In this case, changing the fluid will help clean it up but won't solve the problem, just prolong it.

I'd recommend taking your truck to some place other than Ford for a second or even third opinion.

Just my 6 cents. :)
  • wierddadwierddad Member Posts: 1
    are the bellhousings different for the 2.3 4cyl. than the 3.0 V6 with the m50d-r1.
    One last update: After the transmission checked out fine, I replaced the ECM but made no diff - still no overdrive (4th gear) and cruise control does not work.

Anybody have a clue as to what's going on? - maybe a short somewhere?

I'm about ready to call it quits.
  • efressoefresso Member Posts: 1
    Reverse doesn't work. Want to know possible causes?
  • IhateFords007IhateFords007 Member Posts: 1
    Okay, I have seen several different replies to this question, and they are all different. Hopefully, I can get a for sure answer?

I have a 99 Ranger 3.0 automatic. I have already replaced the transmission once in it. Now the Over Drive light flashes and the transmission slams between first and second, with the check engine light constantly on. Can someone please give me a for sure answer on this? I would really hate to replace the transmission again for nothing.
  • jbo2300jbo2300 Member Posts: 1
    my ranger is making a noise like a dddddddd in 1st 2nd 3rd and 5th no noise in fourth though somebody please help me out it also whines in 1 2 3 5 not 4
  • doublej2doublej2 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone ever attempt or heard of anyone swaping out the 5 speed on a Ranger with a 6 speed? My current gas mileage is herrendous and I'm hoping to improve it.
    Thanks.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    It's a truck.

It's a 4x4.

It's going to get bad milage.
  • doublej2doublej2 Member Posts: 2
    Hey, thanks for the update! No, really!
  • jmehoffjmehoff Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a '92 for ranger, truck was great on test drive! and ran fine the first couple of hours after purchase. Now when i shift up into 4th gear or 5th/OD, it acts like there is no power coming from the engine. It doesn't seem to be slipping or grinding... Just no power, and if you put the peddle to the floor the whole truck shakes and acts like it wants to die. I know the truck was sitting for a few years prior to my purchase... Could this be related to the fuel pump or filter in any way? And to be honest the first 3 gears are fine, nice and smooth. Any information would be nice, i'd like to fix this problem myself.
  • redneck8redneck8 Member Posts: 1
    my question is will a 1988 tras. work on a 1994 both 5-speeds the only diff. is the last letter on the tag everything is the same
  • cwhary914cwhary914 Member Posts: 1
    from cwhary914; I have the same year ranger & went through the same problem. The first thing is check spark plugs make sure they are good & gaped right. Next check wires with timing light this will tell you if the wire is mis firing under load. Next check the cap for cracks {HAIR LINE].Next make sure the belt didn"t jump. Take out #1 spark plug and turn the motor by hand to top dead center,make sure cap is on the #1 firing, stick a screw driver down #1 cylinder and move the motor at the same time {If the screw driver comes up the belt jumped ahead -If the screw diver goes down the belt fell behind. If it doesn"t move at all the minute you move the motor it is on top dead center.next make sure the firing order is right.there are two types most are of a U seiries. the firing order is on the top of the engin near the intake. the U is the first letter of your seirial #. In my case I had done all tese thing and still had the problem I fixed my problem by going with a hotter plug,Do to the gas know has ethonal in it.PS. dump 2 cans of muti port fuel cleaner in your tank the gas lines can become corroded from sitting for some time. It takes A day or two of driving to clean them. On the 5 day take your plugs out & claen them agian. It sounds like A lot but It is not your tranny . ;)
  • lance420lance420 Member Posts: 2
    u nead a trans filter the fluid well com out around the pan so b rady ps ther is riten on top of dipstik wat fluid to get
  • murderers_r0wmurderers_r0w Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I have an 02 ranger fx4 4ltr auto. the o/d light started flashing and would shift hard into second gear. I had planned on looking into the problem over the weekend, but on the way home yesterday I was going up a hill hen the trans shfted, then there was no power to the wheels. I coasted into a gas station and now I have no reverse either. Can anynoe tell me what happened and what i should do to get the truck back on the road.
  • lance420lance420 Member Posts: 2
    i hav a 02 and it ded the same thing o/d flash no revers no drive if it puls in low ger 1 2 its a trans filter if it wont pull at all not even slitey its bands or silanody
  • murderers_r0wmurderers_r0w Member Posts: 2
    it makes a whinning sound when I put it in any gear and hit the gas, so i imagine its a worst case scenario. would it be better to rebuild or buy a salvage tranny. which do you think would be cheaper?
  • jshap1jshap1 Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a used Ranger from a dealer with 30k miles. I notice if I start out slow that there seems to be a slight slap or klunk sound from the rear. I really notice it if I back up then change gears to move forward. The dealer says this is normal and that drive train has some slippage to increase it's life. Anyone heard of this?
    The splines on the drive shaft probably need some lube. The drive shaft will have to be taken down and the front splines pulled out of the tranny, and some grease put on the splines.

Or, my extended cab Ranger had a 'split' drive shaft. There were two separate shafts, front and rear, with s bearing in the center. This bearing may be your problem, or the mount it rides in.
    I got the Ford extended bumper to bumper warranty but the service dept says this is a "normal" behavior. When you did that repair did your Ranger continue to have this clunking feeling? What should it feel like under normal conditions?
    I never had this problem with my 94 Ranger.

Driveline 'clunk' is a long-time problem, especailly with Ford products. Some older pickups even had a grease zerk on the spline. Grease on splines helps many times.
  • richard1313richard1313 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1983 Ford Ranger 2.2 L Diesel with a 4 speed manual transmission. Is there a 5 speed that will bolt in place with out modification?
    So I am trying to figure out if this is normal or abnormal. Does anyone know?
    In my opinion, it's not normal, but also not unusual.
  • marked1marked1 Member Posts: 15
    Manual transmission 101. Your transmission is bad and needs to be opened up
    an looked at.
    Rather extreme. It could just need some grease on the spline.

Or maybe even a U joint in bad shape.
  • swhit63swhit63 Member Posts: 2
    my a c blows warm air. the clutch doesn't spin when a c is on. i'm told that the front plate of the clutch is missing. it can't engage without it. any suggestions?
  • truckluvr4evertruckluvr4ever Member Posts: 2
    i have a 93 ranger and its automatic...but stil have to shift it manually. it wont shift on its own.. i have to shift it from first to second and then straight to over drive and downshifts on its own just leaving it in overdrive it wont shift and in drive it wont shift...i dont know what it is...anyone have any ideas?? :sick:
    I know very little about trannys.

About only thing I know that can be checked is the vacumn regulator on the tranny and the vacumn line to it.
  • truckluvr4evertruckluvr4ever Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the help i dont know much either..but i will check into that!
  • swhit63swhit63 Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the reply. i was told that the tranny mount is worn and therefore, has more "room" if you will, for the transmission to shift in. the guy had my truck in the air at the time, and showed me what he was referring to. does this sound like something that's possible?">
  • blingmanblingman Member Posts: 1
    Aloha Richard, I have a 2000 ford ranger and wandering what year transmission's is compatible ( replace )
  • rcramrcram Member Posts: 2
    you should try to spray all the bolts and threads with penetrating oiland let it sit for a day periodically respraying with the oil it should loosen most of the bolts
  • rcramrcram Member Posts: 2
    it has a hydrolic clutch ? if so look at the tube at the quick connect you will see a white ring well get a medium sized screw driver and push the white ring in to the collet untill you cant see it any more and that will release the tube from the slave cylinder just push it in around the ring until it disapears and tug on the tube it should come out
  • irish_85irish_85 Member Posts: 2
    i got a 96 ranger / standard and 1st & 2nd most of the time are not there and 1st gear will go way out of its normal positioning and touch the dash. what should i do to go about fixing this problem? i'm pretty sure the trany might be going out on me.
  • irish_85irish_85 Member Posts: 2
    i got a 96 ranger / standard and 1st & 2nd most of the time are not there and 1st gear will go way out of its normal positioning and touch the dash. what should i do to go about fixing this problem? i'm pretty sure the trany might be going out on me.
  • altonsmithaltonsmith Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 2000 FORD RANGER WITH MANUAL TRANSMISSION AND I'M HAVING A HARD TIME FIGURING OUT WHY THE CLUTCH IS NOT BUILDING PRESSURE