Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I love/hate my Cobalt

Comments

• georgecavaliergeorgecavalier Member Posts: 54
    For one thing you're talking about a rental. Who knows what abuse the thing has been through. Of course a V6 that makes a good 100hp more will have better pickup. I'm not sure about the mileage because I got up to 37MPG on mine. I agree with poncho167 the car is a good handler (even with the stock tires) and the Ecotec has a great reputation. Seat comfort is a matter of preference I guess.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    It was a made up story from some kid who probably lost a race or is mad that the write ups of the new turbo SS has it beating the Mazda speed in every way.
  • harrisblackharrisblack Member Posts: 28
    Today is the 1 year anniversary of ownership for my white 2007 Cobalt. It has 4700 miles with no problems. We get 20 plus to 30 plus in gas mileage. It's been a good car.
  • steve333steve333 Member Posts: 201
    Hope you have better luck than I do. My Balt is an 06 with 40000 miles and my steering column was replaced twice and my intermediate shaft is about to be replaced for the second time.
    I suggest you get an extended warranty.
  • sbadattitudesbadattitude Member Posts: 2
    i have an 06 cobalt ss and its the best car i have ever owned...as for your gas mileage either you have your foot to the floor or there is something wrong with that car.. mine gets usually 22-25 miles to the gallon city and more highway.. im sorry that you dont like it.. but i will keep my american made car... nothing compares to my baby
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    I bought a brand new 08 Cobalt LS four door sedan with the 2.2 L engine and auto tranny on June 3, 2008.

I like the car, and I believe I will end up being very happy with it, but I have had a couple water leaks that kind of "dampen" (yes, pun intended) my enthusiasm.

There was a sheet metal to sheet metal seam in the trunk that was not sealed at the factory, and this was the source of one water leak. It also turned out that the back glass was not sealed properly, and the window shelf, or "package tray," as I believe it is called, got wet when I washed the car. The service manager at the dealership had the local auto glass guy come out and fix the leak, but he wanted me to let him order a whole new gasket and have the back glass completely reinstalled, along with a new package tray (in case the old one might warp from being wet). [How do you like THAT for a service manager? They get a lot of bad press, but this guy takes great care of me. He is more upset about my water leak than I am.] I agreed to let him get a new gasket and package tray for me, but I won't be able to take the car back for the repair for a couple weeks.

There are many pluses with this car, and they outweigh the negatives so far.

I believe that when the selling price is compared with what you get, it is clear that the Cobalt has tremendous "bang for the buck." Sure, I could have bought a car that I would have been happier with, but NOT for the kind of money I spent on the Cobalt, especially with the $2000 rebate taken into consideration.

I think some people have unrealistic expectations, and that comment is not directed at anyone in here... I haven't even read very many of the posts in here yet.

The only negatives so far are the two water leaks (The dealer is doing a very good job of taking care of me on those issues.) and the lack of back seat leg room (Well, It IS a compact car, so that is to be expected.).

On the plus side are the following:

*Good styling
    *Surprisingly good acceleration for a four banger "gas sipper"
    *Good mileage (I got 28.5 MPG last fill-up for a mix of city and highway driving. Have not yet had the opportunity to run out a whole tank of gas on highway driving.)
    *Good handling
    *Good ride
    *Quiet ride ( by comparison to other compacts)
    *Comfortable seats
    *Great trunk room

So, my friends, if the water leaks are fixed and "stay fixed," and if no new problems arise, then I am going to be VERY happy with this car.

Tom
  • nyguy1nyguy1 Member Posts: 23
    I just wanted to post an update. Our 2005 with NO OPTIONS just past the 50K mile mark and has had it's first repair. A front suspension part needed to be replaced because it made noise over every bump. Cost $250, this is the first and only repair in that many miles so I am very pleased. Gas mileage on the highway is 36mpg all the time, now remember we have the 5sp manual. We also have a 2007 just like it with near 18K miles without any repairs, just gas and oil changes. I am a loyal Cobalt customer now for sure.
  • justus3justus3 Member Posts: 21
    I too just made it through the first year with my '07 Cobalt and I am still in love, lol. This car has given me no mechanical trouble so far. It's got 19000 miles on it and all I have done so far is regular maintenance (oil changes, tires rotated). It made it through a Montana winter with no problems, handled good in the snow with the assistance of studless snow tires, of course and so far has been a real gem to own. The only issue seems to be the sunroof which is leaking air and rattling. I have taken it in for that once already and the fix lasted maybe a couple months. Guess I'll have to try again and hope they can tighten it better or something.
  • madwarrior47madwarrior47 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my Cobalt Nov '07 and I still can't get used to the pedals in the car. They feel awkward. My previous car was a Chevy Corsica V6, I simply pivoted my foot to go from braking to accelerating. The Cobalt is more of a lift up and over movement that feels so ergonomically awkward. I'm terrified whenever I need to brake. Then there's the lightness of the car. When driving down hill I feel like I'm on a rollercoaster ride. The pluses, I've had great gas mileage and no real problems.
  • matthewotamatthewota Member Posts: 7
    My cobalt sat for two months with the parking brake applied. When I tried to drive it this week, the left rear wheel was locked up. How do I unstick the brake?
  • blackcobalt07blackcobalt07 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Cobalt LT Coupe and i LOVE IT! I have had it a little over a year and drive about 45 minutes to work both ways five days a week. Car NEVER gives me any problems. Only basic maintnance. I had a 2003 cavalier base coupe when I traded it in had 120,000 after only four years. Was a great car too..I guess it just depends on certain models but my car is great!
  • justus3justus3 Member Posts: 21
    I still love my Cobalt but now am in the club for issues taking place with it. It's an 07 with 24000 miles on it to date, and up to now the only real issue I had ever had was the sunroof rattling and leaking air. Recently, I noticed a thumping coming from the front driver's side which seems to get much worse on bumpy surfaces. I also had a squeaky rear brake on the passenger side. This week I took it into the dealership to have the problems addressed. They fixed the brake pretty easily, just needed adjusted, cleaned and greased, they "fixed" the sunroof which took two attempts and it still rattles some. I had already taken it in for the same thing before and they just can't seem to get it right but yet they say it's fixed. Not sure what to do about that.I'm just sick of dealing with it. But as far as the thumping goes they think it is something in the steering column but cannot pinpoint exactly what, so now I have to bring it back in this week coming and they want to put a whole new steering column in it. I am really starting to wonder if it's worth all the hassle? It should not fall apart that easily in my opinion for still being a relatively new car. :cry:
    Make sure they replace the intermediate shaft as well as the steering column. I had my column replaced and the problem didnt go away until they replaced the intermediate shaft as well. There are TSB's on this that they should know about.

My problem is that my Balt drives poorly on the Freeway-gets caught in the grooved and the front end moves this way and that. 2 different brands of tires and it still does it.
  • mcribbmcribb Member Posts: 20
    I would consider the car not very good if I have to have it repaired below 60 or 70000 miles. I guess in all makes some will need repairs. I am sorry to say this but the Cobalt is nothing but a updated Cavaleir( cannot spell). The Malibu is very nice but everything else except CTS is a joke.
  • gerald41gerald41 Member Posts: 37
    I've had 2 Cobalts an 06 which was totaled last winter with 40,000 plus miles and a 08 which I bought last winter. First of all my dealer closed shop and now had to go to a new dealer. My 06 was pretty much trouble free, just the key stuck in the ignition , a radio issue and a fuel tank switch. Ny 08 has been a disaster.The car has 12,000 miles on it and it has already has the steering shaft changed, A short in the radio, out of round brake rotor,Power window motor failure and a trunk lid that wouldn't close and had to be realigned. I see quality going downhill and I'm sure with moral of GM employees going downhill so will the quality of their autos.
    Guys, I am very sorry that you have experienced problems with your Cobalts, but so far mine has been a little jewel. It had the back glass leak, but that was fixed, and I have had no more problems with it.

I thoroughly enjoy drving my Cobalt, and I am still amazed by how much I got for my money with that little car. It has great acceleration, handling, ride, comfort, and styling in my opinion, and it gets extremely good gas mileage for the mix of in town and rural road driving that I do.

I only have about 6K miles on mine, so it may be too early to get a good read on the reliability of the car, but any problems with initial quality should have become evident by now.

Tom
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Member Posts: 299
    Do you own a Cobalt? Do you like or dislike it? If you don't own one and have no interest in owning one but dislike GM cars then you don't belong on the Cobalt list. Just my humble opinion.
  • tcaloftcalof Member Posts: 29
    I've got an '08 LT bought in Aug/08. So far I think it is so much better in terms of everything than the '05 Equinox that it replaced. It can even hold wider items flat in the trunk than the Equinox could. Zero issues so far in 2 months and 2k of driving. I did my first oil change at 1.5k with only 15% oil life used up. I didn't care as I still believe in early 1st oil changes. I used the Delco PF457G filter and Shell oil. No synthetic oil until the 3rd change. I change oil every 3 months regardless of mileage. My likes and dislikes:
    Likes: excellent electric power steering (compared to Equinox), very smooth auto trans, good pep, quick warmup, digital temp gauge, turn signal clicking noise, propless hood, no interior hinges for trunk lid, comfortable seats, decent quality cloth interior
    Dislikes: pathetic rear legroom with front seats all the way back, tinny sounding speakers, ridiculous plastic engine shroud that just makes the engine run hotter (I removed it for the summer and the engine now runs cooler. I'll put it back for our cold winters)
  • grosloupgrosloup Member Posts: 239
    Wow!

I own a 2005 Equinox myself and looking forward to buy a Cobalt 2009. I thought that trading a Equinox for a Cobalt was not a good idea but actually someone out there made the switch (Equinox for Cobalt) like I intend to do.

Is your Cobalt a Coupe or Sedan? You're talking about winter... lots of snow in your home town? Winter driving is my biggest concern about buying a Cobalt because we have lots of snow here. I always driven Vans or S.U.V.'s and I'd like to try a small / economical car. Our kids have moved out, price of gas is high and the price/quality of the Cobalt is interesting.
    I have an LT sedan. The options on the car that I bought were automatic and remote start. It came standard with all the power options and cruise already. I believe the '09 LT's now come standard with ABS, 16" alum wheels, but cruise is now an option. My med size city(700k) has lots of cold but only moderate winter snow. Most drivers here do not use winter tires unless they do a lot of rural driving or commute into the city on a daily basis. My previous small car, a 2000 Saturn SW2 wagon, had Bridgestone Blizzaks on separate rims. They made a world of difference in winter driving in the stopping/traction dep't. Their handling was so-so, as was the noise. I don't plan as of now to put winter tires on the Cobalt, as I am semi-retired and don't need the car on a regular daily basis. I actually bicycle year round and have a dedicated winter beater bike with single speed and studded winter tires. I have ridden it through as much as 12" of snow and at temps down to -40. If I need to go much more than 1/2 hour then I'll take the car. I put a Class 1, 1 1/4" hitch on the Cobalt for my bike rack. That way in the nice weather my wife and I throw our summer bikes on the rack and head out of town for a day of exploring and relaxing.
    So far I can highly recommend the Cobalt.
  • yooper53yooper53 Member Posts: 286
    I live in Michigan's upper peninsula, lots of snow. I use 4 snow tires on my fwd sedan. Never a problem. Try it. You won't regret it.
  • daddysangeldaddysangel Member Posts: 14
    grosloup. Me too.

Have a 2005 `Nox LT & looking to downsize after my WWII VFW dad no longer has any needs in this world.

My expectations are a little further down the road...say about in 2012 with a Chevy Cruze LT...Ion/Cobalt's successor.

O. K....returning to my traditional "lurker" status now. :)

Daddysangel.
    Never noticed the temp. gauge. Do you have to turn it on? All I seem to have is a speedometer, huge worthless tach and tiny gas gauge. I have an 09 LT1
    I wouldn't go that far. GM has some excellent cars in every division to brag about.
    You should read your manual regarding the information available from "INFO" on your steering wheel.
    Didn't your salesman go over all that on delivery of your car? He/she should have.
    Thanks - I'm not far from the dealership so we didn't do a detailed briefing. I'll check the owner's manual. I didn't see a digital display so I thought I'd ask. I wonder who decided to put a huge worthless tachometer in the car in lieu of a visible temperature gauge. I can see no reason for a tachometer -nobody ever had one before "muscle cars" came out and I don't need one on a Cobalt.
    By the way, I certainly agree with your comment about the tinny speakers. I have a friend with a Fusion and the standard stereo sounds like Constitution Hall. I'll probably replace these speakers eventually with something decent. If I had ordered the car I would have gotten the Pioneer system but with the "Employee" discount I found one on the lot that I could live with. Unfortunately it wasn't an LT2 .I'm not concerned with ABS. I had the system on a Malibu and the sensors cost quite a bit to replace . I lived with non-ABS brakes for 40 years. I have them on the Cadillac and that is my road car where they are more necessary.
    Let me know with what you replace the "tin can" speakers with on your soon to be new Cobalt. I am also glad my '08 doesn't have ABS. I'm not a big fan of them on ice. My mother's Saturn Ion3 has them and on ice you can steer straight while braking, but you certainly can't stop. Also having driven for over 40 years without ABS I have never needed them and don't intend to get into a predicament where I would need them.
    If it didn't have a tach then people would be complaining about that. Magazine write-ups would have more negative comments.
    Magazine writeups already are negative - especially CR that loves everything Japanese. I've had problems with every Toyota I had the stupidity to buy. My Camry Solara convertible rode like a truck and flexed all over the place. I sold it at 350 miles. Generally all the Toyotas I've ever driven except for the Avalon ride stiffly and the road and wind noise on the Avalon shouldn't be there on a $35,000 car. In any event, I'll trade this useless tach any day for a temperature and oil pressure gauge and ammeter. Wish they were options. They should put the tach in the obscure little place that the fuel gauge is. Fuel level is fairly important and to place it in a very small gauge is pretty poor planning.
    The driver's seat belt goes through a plastic ring. There is a slot on the side of the ring and ofentimes the seat belt comes through the slot and snaps back into the back seat area - a long reach and uncomfortable for someone with arthritis in the shoulder.. Chevrolet should have put the slot on the top of the ring. I jammed a small piece of plastic in the slot and the seat belt stays in the ring.
    After almost five months and 6700 miles of ownership, I am TOTALLY satisfied with my Cobalt. It still amazes me that you get so much car for such a low sticker price.

That car is all I hoped it would be and MORE. I figured it would get good gas mileage, but I didn't count on its having such great acceleration and good handling. I didn't know that I would be getting a car that is just as much fun to drive as it is "practical." It was just supposed to be a boring, but economical, means of transportation for my commute to work.

Good job, Chevrolet! You "got it right" when you built the Cobalt.

Tom
    I should have mentioned that I have the coupe. The sedan has a totally different seat belt assembly on the column between the doors. I rented an 09 LT1 sedan for 3 days in Philadelphia (drove to Harrisburg) and had no problem with the seat belt. Disappointing gas mileage on the road - around 32.. I get that in my Cadillac. No cruise which was annoying but it least had keyless entry and power windows and locks.. The Caliber I rented in Baltimore had neither and it was a pain to lock and unlock it. No power windows or mirrors either. No information system. Nothing at all except automatic and power steering. Rented it from Thrifty. The Cobalt came from Enterprise. They can't "guarantee" keyless entry, cruise, etc. unless you get a Malibu or larger. This didn't use to be the case. All rental cars seemed to be upgraded models. Ask for Cobalts.. They at least have the basics.
    My 09 LT1 coupe makes a funny cracking noise from the right (passenger side) rear when going over a speed bump . It doesn't make the noise on a street dip at normal speeds.. I'll get the dealer to check it when I go in for an oil change. The car only has about 400 miles on it. The sedan I rented with 5500 miles on it didn't make this noise. Perhaps it needs to be broken in. It is not significant but shouldn't be there.
  • powderkeggpowderkegg Member Posts: 22
    I have an 08 coupe and have absolutely no problems with the seatbelt staying in the ring. In fact I had a hard time getting it out the other day when I wanted to.
    Perhaps I'm pulling it straight out instead of down. In any event I fixed the problem for me. You obviously don't need to for you.
  • corvairbobcorvairbob Member Posts: 27
    i have read that the chip keys for the 06 and newer cobalt cost tons of money. on ebay the go for 8-12.00 plus shipping. well i found some for the 05 cobalt that fit the 06 cobalt and other Chevy models. i had them cut and they fit the ign. but failed the doors. after removing the door lock on the passenger side.(just in case i broke it) i discovered the key was a bit to long. i removed just a bit on the end and it fit good and now works the doors trunk and ign.

now before you say these keys will not make the car start i trick the car by placing 1 chip key under the ign switch. and before i get tons of replay saying where do i live so i can steal your car i cut off the key and left the chip. besides it doesn't take a key to steal a car tow truck can get them all day long.

so if you don't want to pay a ton for a programed key you may try this and save a ton of money. i did this to a pt cruiser and it worked for years. i sold the car and the new owner loves it. you can get the 05 keys at a good locksmith. he will tell you it won't work just tell him you want it for the doors in case you lock your keys in the car and have him try it in the doors first. if it fails have him remove a bit from the end and try it again. good luck on saving tons of key making money.

my cars get 28-35 mpg and i love it. runs great drives great i couldn't wait to sell the pt cruise. low mpg 19 but love the cobalt. bp.
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    Just picked up an 09 LT2 for a song to go along with my 07 LT1.

Not much to add other than my 07 with 34K miles has been a real trooper.
    Cobalt is cited as a car that nearly half of the respondents say they won't buy again. I can't figure out what is so bad about the car. CR was talking about the sedan, not the coupe. I prefer the big doors on the coupe and the styling. That's why I bought one. The sedan feels cramped but really there isn't much difference -it is mostly psychological because of the smaller doors. I've rented sedans and they were perfectly fine. I don't know what CR readers expect. The car gets good mileage, has a great engine for a 4 with very good pickup and passing power, and costs little to maintain as compared to a Japanese car. The old Cavalier was OK too.
    Who are these people responding to CR? I know they are paid subscribers but what are their demographics, why are they responding or not responding?

I don't care for CR ratings what so ever.
    I get the car questionnaire every year. It is pages long and covers not only cars but appliances as well and usually other things. I would assume that many people toss it out -I've done so a few times but I would also assume that people who have a serious gripe would definately fill it out thus skewing the results. There is no car that does everything for everybody. I guess the closest would be a new Malibu. People who buy Cobalts do so mainly because it is a fairly cheap NEW car, well equipped as compared to a base line competitor, especially a Japanese car, has decent pickup and gets decent gas mileage. It can be maintained cheaply as compared to a Toyota, Honda, etc. and if you need warranty repairs in the middle of nowhere you can usually find a Chevy dealer within 100 miles. Good luck with a Toyota. My guess -since I have never seen a demographic report on subscribers -age, income, employment, education etc. (one obviously exists) - is that readers are consumer oriented and price and reliability -for a car for example - means more than features, styling, or performance/handling although the road tests spend a lot of time on a track steering around cones. The readers are also green and environmentally conscious and I'd consider the magazine liberal. CR expends lots of space on health and finance issues and always has a strong opinion one way or the other. You don't get unbiased information from CR. Road tests from CR, Motor Trend or anyplace else are meaningless until YOU drive the car, I had a $31,000 new 06 Solara convertible for 300 miles until I could find some idiot to buy it. I had to order it and couldn't find one to drive before I did so. I did drive a coupe which was totally different as I found out when the convertible arrived. The convertible rode stiffly, shook all over the place, and was just flat uncomfortable. My old 01 Malibu rode like a Cadillac compared to it. CR loved it because it was a Toyota. CR is interesting to read and provides good information on many items -paint, wax, tires, etc. but not on cars.
  • AmunhotepAmunhotep Member Posts: 8
    I am new to the forum, and first want to thank all the contributors for their posts. It has helped me already to answer a few questions as I await delivery of my 2009 1LT Automatic with the MyLink package. It was ordered and delivered sooner than my bank account was ready for payment, so I must wait for a few days.

I had my choice of a Cobalt, Focus or Elantra. My brother-in-law owns a Ford dealership in Colorado, and could have gotten a Focus through him at a good price. We own a Sonata, and like it a great deal, and seriously considered the Elantra. But I chose the Cobalt after spending 10 days and 2000 miles in a rental in North Carolina and Tennessee this summer. As well, I wanted to support my local economy here in Missouri (although I love my brother-in-law) and ordered it through a Chevy dealership owned by a former student of mine.

It isn't fancy, or fast (except the SS coupe) but it seems to be solid, comfortable and reliable. The price is reasonable and the warranty and options are very good.
    The MyLink package adds most of the 2LT options at a lower price; radio upgrade with USB port, Bluetooth capability, 12 months OnStar with Directions and Connections, 12 months XM radio, 16" Machine Face Aluminum wheels and touring tires, ABS, Traction Control, Cruise Control, Leather Wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, all for $995 MSRP additional.

I am anxiously awaiting the purchase of my Cobalt. Looks like the middle of the month is an early Christmas present for me!
  • abrat71abrat71 Member Posts: 2
    Well I do feel sorry for anyone that has bought one of these cars. They are not safe and getting reid of one is not so easy. I own a 2007 and its well let say its a pc. I do have a attonery and he is pushing a law suit and I do hope to win. I have heard it all from the dealership from bad sensor to well we dont hear anythig. I can turn my car off and the gauges still jump up and down. my cd player pushes the cd in and out and its freakes me out. the gauges sensor are always going off and they blink alot. i would like to tell anyone that if they are thinking about buying one of these cars to rethink again. i did somthing that i think everyone who been screwed by the dealships will find amusing. I printed 8x10 lemons of the internet and i pasted them all over my car front to back and put a big sign that i bout this car a hertiage and if you want to know my experince call me lol. if you guys have any ???? you can email me at kismeck@hotmail.com I would love to chat. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • okko1okko1 Member Posts: 327
    thats to bad i got a 06 and it is the best car i have ever owned. it has 30,000 miles on it and has operated flawlessly. the dealership that i use has serviced and done a number of modifications for me. i am more than pleased with my cobalt. what model did you purchase? i have heard of some problems with the ignition switches and battery cables that might cause some problems. have you had the car evalueated by anyone else? :confuse:
    The only problem I have with mine is the front end and steering. Nothing unsafe, but the car doesn't ride smoothly at all and handles poor around turns.
  • AmunhotepAmunhotep Member Posts: 8
    Not knowing what year and model you have, the reports on the XFE models have been that they do ride harsh and tend to slip in turns, due to the tires used to boost MPG.
    I have an '06 LT Sedan with brand new Michelins.
    What pressure are you running in your tires? These symptoms could be simply due to overinflation. Not saying they are, just that they COULD be.

Tomster
  • abrat71abrat71 Member Posts: 2
    :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: Well I was explaining on the last post my expernice has been really bad. I would let anyone know that if they are buying a colbart they are buying a calvier. We all know that Chev has to out out one crapy are well I guess it was the cobalt. I started having trouble with my car they day I pulled it off lot. A sensor for the airbag went out and it been out twice the dealership tell me that I have unpluged it twice but if that was the case and it was unpluged then why was it replaced. I also have a knocking in my frontend that never been fixed and they claim they cant find it. my car been in the shop thirteen times and I now have a attonery. I am suing them under the va lemon law ast and I hope to win. I have been told everything from the dealership that my car just has not broke it self in to we cant fix what we cant find. I also get really bad fuel milages.
    I guess i can best end this by saying I and everyone else has been screwd they sold us a pc of ****.
    Luckily your situation seems to secluded.