Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I love/hate my Cobalt

Comments

• I get the car questionnaire every year. It is pages long and covers not only cars but appliances as well and usually other things. I would assume that many people toss it out -I've done so a few times but I would also assume that people who have a serious gripe would definately fill it out thus skewing the results. There is no car that does everything for everybody. I guess the closest would be a new Malibu. People who buy Cobalts do so mainly because it is a fairly cheap NEW car, well equipped as compared to a base line competitor, especially a Japanese car, has decent pickup and gets decent gas mileage. It can be maintained cheaply as compared to a Toyota, Honda, etc. and if you need warranty repairs in the middle of nowhere you can usually find a Chevy dealer within 100 miles. Good luck with a Toyota. My guess -since I have never seen a demographic report on subscribers -age, income, employment, education etc. (one obviously exists) - is that readers are consumer oriented and price and reliability -for a car for example - means more than features, styling, or performance/handling although the road tests spend a lot of time on a track steering around cones. The readers are also green and environmentally conscious and I'd consider the magazine liberal. CR expends lots of space on health and finance issues and always has a strong opinion one way or the other. You don't get unbiased information from CR. Road tests from CR, Motor Trend or anyplace else are meaningless until YOU drive the car, I had a $31,000 new 06 Solara convertible for 300 miles until I could find some idiot to buy it. I had to order it and couldn't find one to drive before I did so. I did drive a coupe which was totally different as I found out when the convertible arrived. The convertible rode stiffly, shook all over the place, and was just flat uncomfortable. My old 01 Malibu rode like a Cadillac compared to it. CR loved it because it was a Toyota. CR is interesting to read and provides good information on many items -paint, wax, tires, etc. but not on cars.
  • I am new to the forum, and first want to thank all the contributors for their posts. It has helped me already to answer a few questions as I await delivery of my 2009 1LT Automatic with the MyLink package. It was ordered and delivered sooner than my bank account was ready for payment, so I must wait for a few days.

I had my choice of a Cobalt, Focus or Elantra. My brother-in-law owns a Ford dealership in Colorado, and could have gotten a Focus through him at a good price. We own a Sonata, and like it a great deal, and seriously considered the Elantra. But I chose the Cobalt after spending 10 days and 2000 miles in a rental in North Carolina and Tennessee this summer. As well, I wanted to support my local economy here in Missouri (although I love my brother-in-law) and ordered it through a Chevy dealership owned by a former student of mine.

It isn't fancy, or fast (except the SS coupe) but it seems to be solid, comfortable and reliable. The price is reasonable and the warranty and options are very good.
    The MyLink package adds most of the 2LT options at a lower price; radio upgrade with USB port, Bluetooth capability, 12 months OnStar with Directions and Connections, 12 months XM radio, 16" Machine Face Aluminum wheels and touring tires, ABS, Traction Control, Cruise Control, Leather Wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, all for $995 MSRP additional.

I am anxiously awaiting the purchase of my Cobalt. Looks like the middle of the month is an early Christmas present for me!
  • Well I do feel sorry for anyone that has bought one of these cars. They are not safe and getting reid of one is not so easy. I own a 2007 and its well let say its a pc. I do have a attonery and he is pushing a law suit and I do hope to win. I have heard it all from the dealership from bad sensor to well we dont hear anythig. I can turn my car off and the gauges still jump up and down. my cd player pushes the cd in and out and its freakes me out. the gauges sensor are always going off and they blink alot. i would like to tell anyone that if they are thinking about buying one of these cars to rethink again. i did somthing that i think everyone who been screwed by the dealships will find amusing. I printed 8x10 lemons of the internet and i pasted them all over my car front to back and put a big sign that i bout this car a hertiage and if you want to know my experince call me lol. if you guys have any ???? you can email me at kismeck@hotmail.com I would love to chat. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • okko1okko1 Posts: 327
    thats to bad i got a 06 and it is the best car i have ever owned. it has 30,000 miles on it and has operated flawlessly. the dealership that i use has serviced and done a number of modifications for me. i am more than pleased with my cobalt. what model did you purchase? i have heard of some problems with the ignition switches and battery cables that might cause some problems. have you had the car evalueated by anyone else? :confuse:
  • steve333steve333 Posts: 200
    The only problem I have with mine is the front end and steering. Nothing unsafe, but the car doesn't ride smoothly at all and handles poor around turns.
  • Not knowing what year and model you have, the reports on the XFE models have been that they do ride harsh and tend to slip in turns, due to the tires used to boost MPG.
  • steve333steve333 Posts: 200
    I have an '06 LT Sedan with brand new Michelins.
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    What pressure are you running in your tires? These symptoms could be simply due to overinflation. Not saying they are, just that they COULD be.

Tomster
  • :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: Well I was explaining on the last post my expernice has been really bad. I would let anyone know that if they are buying a colbart they are buying a calvier. We all know that Chev has to out out one crapy are well I guess it was the cobalt. I started having trouble with my car they day I pulled it off lot. A sensor for the airbag went out and it been out twice the dealership tell me that I have unpluged it twice but if that was the case and it was unpluged then why was it replaced. I also have a knocking in my frontend that never been fixed and they claim they cant find it. my car been in the shop thirteen times and I now have a attonery. I am suing them under the va lemon law ast and I hope to win. I have been told everything from the dealership that my car just has not broke it self in to we cant fix what we cant find. I also get really bad fuel milages.
    I guess i can best end this by saying I and everyone else has been screwd they sold us a pc of ****.
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    Luckily your situation seems to secluded.
  • Picked up the car on Saturday and have driven it in mixed driving. Color (Silver Moss Metallic) is very nice, interior is a little spartan, but well done. I purchased Weathertech floor liners (just in time for snow/ice).

MPG readings on the highway (65 mph) are around 34, and in town are around 29.

The ride seems a little rougher than the 2001 Prizm it is replacing. Handling is good, and the 4 wheel ABS came in handy at an icy intersection yesterday.

Visibility is good, climate controls work well. XM radio is a blast and the Onstar is bluetooth capable, and it set up with an older cell phone quite easily. Great for the possible in car cell phone restrictions that are being considered here in Missouri.

At this point I am pleased with the car. Time will tell.
    Real good mileage for a brand new car just purchased. The suspension is stiffer than your previous Prism which gives better handling, etc. The bigger wheels/tires will also help you feel more of the road.
  • so i cant figure out how to hook up my phone to the hands-free calling in my car. the sales rep did say that i could not hook up my phone but the gm website and all the forums seem to say i can. the car is a 2009 LS xfe and the phone is a verizon LG chocolate.
    was the sales rep correct? am i just missing something- like perhaps is my particular model for some reason not compatible? or am i not hooking it up right?
    i push the hands free button and say 'bluetooth' which is what the gm website says to do and nothing happens- the lady refuses to recognize the word bluetooth.
    any feeedback would be appreciated.
    also for the record i am really happy with the cobalt overall. i loved my last car which was a chevy cavalier and i hoped the cobalt would live up to the standard the cav set and it totally has so far. its a great little car, dependable, really fun to drive, and it gets excellent gas mileage. the only complaint i could make is that the seats- while ok for around town, to and from work, etc- kind of suck on long drives due to lack of lumbar support. but still overall i would say its a fantastic car at a ridiculously low price.
  • in regards to that noise in your front end i have an 08 and its been to the garage twice before 9000 miles the strut mounts were shot along with the struts believe me or not every crack in the road made that front end bang and rattle good luck i paid over 18 000 for this special edition cobalt i should have kept my ford i never had any issues only with chevy that sucks cuz i like chevy
    I am surprised about your seat comment on long highway trips because that's where the firm seats are supposed to excell. I have read just the opposite. GM paid ton of money to have those seats specially made by a very well known seat manufacturer with a lot of bench/road testing. I read an article about it years ago.
  • hello everyone,
    I was wondering if anyone knows how long the supercharge should last, and if it dies if anyone knows how much it may cost to fix. I am asking because I am leasing a 2006 supercharge and am looking at buying it out at the end. But I do not want to have a huge problem after if the supercharger goes on it.
    thanks
  • It's not too bad to replace---about $1400.
  • The Bluetooth capability is an option and the lumbar control comes with the LT models. It sounds like you have a base model which may not have come with the Bluetooth capability.
    It could easily last 10-years or longer if you follow the manuals maintenance instructions.
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    My 08 Cobalt LS sedan with the automatic tranny now has a little over 13,000 miles on it, and I am still VERY happy with the car. I have had NO issues with it, since the leaking rear window was fixed.

I have pretty much just forgotten about gas mileage and no longer drive in a super fuel conserving manner. The little car gets 26 or 27 MPG with my mix of highway (but NOT super highway) driving and in-town driving. I was getting a couple miles per gallon better than that when I was really trying to maximize my gas mileage.

I just love that peppy little engine, the nice styling, the good handling, the quiet ride (for such a small, inexpensive car), and the good front seat room and huge trunk.

I couldn't be happier!

Tom