Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I love/hate my Cobalt

Comments

• AmunhotepAmunhotep Member Posts: 8
    Picked up the car on Saturday and have driven it in mixed driving. Color (Silver Moss Metallic) is very nice, interior is a little spartan, but well done. I purchased Weathertech floor liners (just in time for snow/ice).

MPG readings on the highway (65 mph) are around 34, and in town are around 29.

The ride seems a little rougher than the 2001 Prizm it is replacing. Handling is good, and the 4 wheel ABS came in handy at an icy intersection yesterday.

Visibility is good, climate controls work well. XM radio is a blast and the Onstar is bluetooth capable, and it set up with an older cell phone quite easily. Great for the possible in car cell phone restrictions that are being considered here in Missouri.

At this point I am pleased with the car. Time will tell.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    Real good mileage for a brand new car just purchased. The suspension is stiffer than your previous Prism which gives better handling, etc. The bigger wheels/tires will also help you feel more of the road.
  • iluvnannyiluvnanny Member Posts: 5
    so i cant figure out how to hook up my phone to the hands-free calling in my car. the sales rep did say that i could not hook up my phone but the gm website and all the forums seem to say i can. the car is a 2009 LS xfe and the phone is a verizon LG chocolate.
    was the sales rep correct? am i just missing something- like perhaps is my particular model for some reason not compatible? or am i not hooking it up right?
    i push the hands free button and say 'bluetooth' which is what the gm website says to do and nothing happens- the lady refuses to recognize the word bluetooth.
    any feeedback would be appreciated.
    also for the record i am really happy with the cobalt overall. i loved my last car which was a chevy cavalier and i hoped the cobalt would live up to the standard the cav set and it totally has so far. its a great little car, dependable, really fun to drive, and it gets excellent gas mileage. the only complaint i could make is that the seats- while ok for around town, to and from work, etc- kind of suck on long drives due to lack of lumbar support. but still overall i would say its a fantastic car at a ridiculously low price.
  • robjr2057robjr2057 Member Posts: 1
    in regards to that noise in your front end i have an 08 and its been to the garage twice before 9000 miles the strut mounts were shot along with the struts believe me or not every crack in the road made that front end bang and rattle good luck i paid over 18 000 for this special edition cobalt i should have kept my ford i never had any issues only with chevy that sucks cuz i like chevy
    I am surprised about your seat comment on long highway trips because that's where the firm seats are supposed to excell. I have read just the opposite. GM paid ton of money to have those seats specially made by a very well known seat manufacturer with a lot of bench/road testing. I read an article about it years ago.
  • kacie4kacie4 Member Posts: 1
    hello everyone,
    I was wondering if anyone knows how long the supercharge should last, and if it dies if anyone knows how much it may cost to fix. I am asking because I am leasing a 2006 supercharge and am looking at buying it out at the end. But I do not want to have a huge problem after if the supercharger goes on it.
    thanks
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It's not too bad to replace---about $1400.
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Member Posts: 299
    The Bluetooth capability is an option and the lumbar control comes with the LT models. It sounds like you have a base model which may not have come with the Bluetooth capability.
    It could easily last 10-years or longer if you follow the manuals maintenance instructions.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    My 08 Cobalt LS sedan with the automatic tranny now has a little over 13,000 miles on it, and I am still VERY happy with the car. I have had NO issues with it, since the leaking rear window was fixed.

I have pretty much just forgotten about gas mileage and no longer drive in a super fuel conserving manner. The little car gets 26 or 27 MPG with my mix of highway (but NOT super highway) driving and in-town driving. I was getting a couple miles per gallon better than that when I was really trying to maximize my gas mileage.

I just love that peppy little engine, the nice styling, the good handling, the quiet ride (for such a small, inexpensive car), and the good front seat room and huge trunk.

I couldn't be happier!

Tom
  • Maria423Maria423 Member Posts: 2
    I recently had to have raidiator replaced.They told me to watch my temp. for awhile. When i asked how hot is too hot no one could answer.They told me to check the owners manuel.No where does it mention a certain temp.I have a 2008 Chey cobalt sedan 4cyl.Any help on this question would be great.Don't want to find out what too hot is the hard way
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    My 07 typically runs around 195-200 F.
  • Maria423Maria423 Member Posts: 2
    Mine hit 212 at a stop light.Think i should be concerned or is this normal if the fan hasn't kicked on?
  • tcaloftcalof Member Posts: 29
    If you take the plastic engine cover off the top of the engine, your temp will typically drop about 10 degrees. I do that in the summer. The only downside is that the engine is very slightly noisier on acceleration.
    Ask your dealer service about that if you really want to know.
  • dpeters04dpeters04 Member Posts: 3
    We just bought a 2009 ls Cobalt LS 2.2lt and so far so good. I would like to find out how to remove to plastic engine shield so I can change the oil filter. I would put it once the oil change was done. Help Please 77 year old Dave In Ct.
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    Remove the oil fill plug and removing the dipstick makes it even easier.

Then simply grasp the plastic cover on each end and lift. A slight tug might be needed.

BTW

You'll need a 1 1/4" short socket to remove the oil filter retainer cap. Most don't realize this so I felt it OK to mention. It's available at many auto parts stores.

Also, when replacing cover. Take your time to ensure you line up the pegs as it is placed back in position.
  • tcaloftcalof Member Posts: 29
    An 1 1/4" short socket is specially made by Lisle, part # 14700.
    Here's a link:
    http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-14700-Filter-Wrench-2-2L/dp/B0009OMYAQ
    Otherwise, good luck finding a short socket unless you pay a ton with Snap-on or Mac. You'll also need a short extension for the socket when using the 3/8 drive ratchet.
  • dpeters04dpeters04 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for info.

I removed the Oil filler car and dip stick lifted off easley and put bit of lube on the two spuds went back fine. I traded in our 05 Malibu 4 cyl Euro tech I all ready have 1/2 drive 1 3/4" 6 point socket for the filter cap I drilled two holes through the top of the socket so a small steel rod can turn the socket .

Thanks all who responded.
    Dave Peters
  • stachestache Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 sedan with 67,500 miles on it and have had no problems with the car until this week. When the engine RPM's are low the engine lopes and has stalled out a few times. Anyone else have this problem and know what was causing it?
  • steve333steve333 Member Posts: 201
    Sounds like its time for a tune-up and get the air filter checked and have them scope the computer for trouble codes.
  • laserbluelaserblue Member Posts: 313
    Well, Stache. Your baby is telling you it's "tune-up time". Fuel injectors dirty, filters need to be change, a little check on those spark plugs (even if they say not before 100,000 miles) ect...
    Time to go to the doctor for a good "tune-up" that's all and your kitty will be purrrrrrring like before.
  • stachestache Member Posts: 2
    I wish it was that easy! At 67,150 it had the Air, Fuel, and Cabin Air filters changed. The oil and oil filter, the trans flushed and filter changed AND the injectors cleaned. The plugs and "wires", brakes and tires all the way around.
    I'll take her back in if I need to but would like to know whats wrong before I do?
    Sorry Stache but it would have been easier for us to if you had mentioned that in your first post that you had made a tune-up recently.
    Now we're talking about something else that's really strange. It might be as simple as a little hose that the mechanic left unplugged somewhere while doing his work. Human error.
    My best bet is that you go back and tell them what's happening.
    Can't help but good luck.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Well, it sounds like the car was running fine BEFORE the tune-up work, so I would have to believe that they did something wrong when they were working on the car. Maybe they used the wrong type of spark plug? Who knows?

Take it back to them. That would be my suggestion.

Tom
    Or, one of the spark plugs was dropped and cracked before installation.
  • gerald41gerald41 Member Posts: 37
    The Cobalt is a great car, It's a shame that most people only post when they have issues and not when they don't. I'm in my 50's and have always owned Chevy small cars. My first was a 76 Monza, Never had any issues drove it well over 100,000 miles before buying a Citation which only gave me minor issues and never stranded me. I then bought a 91 Cavalier and then bought a 94 3.1 Cavalier which I still own with 145,000 on it. I sold my 91 for a 06 Cobalt which was totaled in 12/07, My wife slid on ice into oncoming traffic at around 30 mph and walked out of the car without a scratch. For that reason alone I replaced it with an 08 Cobalt. The 08 now has 17,000+ miles on it and the only issue I had was a steering shaft changed because of a minor thumping noise when I turned the wheel hard in either direction. The steering has been perfect since. In my opinion Chevrolet has put out some of the best small cars ever built. Keep in mind these are the bottom line rides, for what I paid I feel I got more than my monies worth out of all of them. Kudo's Chevy. :)
    I change the oil every 4 months or 3,000 miles, always do maintance before it's due not after, wash the car every week and wax them every 3 months.
    Your right, it's nice to read positive posts but 90% of the time it's always negative, that's a shame.
    I've always been a Chevrolet owner myself... 73 Camaro... 77 Chevelle Malibu... 83 Blazer S-10... 91 Astro... 94 Blazer S-10... 99 Venture... 05 Equinox... and they where great vehicles.
    Like you see I've been driving S.U.V.'s and Vans for a couple of years and now I'm planning on going back to a car (small & economical) so I figured out a Cobalt.
    I'm in my 50's also and don't need those big machines anymore. The only thing that scares me a bit it's about winter driving with a Cobalt.
    Your wife had a accident and was lucky for her she was alright.
    Do you spend winter with "winter tires" or the original 4 seasons?
    Is your Cobalt a Sedan or Coupe? LT model or LS?
    I live on Long Island , N,Y. We have some crazy winters, and have a job that never closes because of the weather so I always make the trek. I have a 2LT Cobalt Coupe with the sport appearance package, Leather heated seats ( which I Love) and the Hancook performance 16" wheels. The car handles the snow with ease. I would say it handles like most other front wheel drive cars, driving with a little caution and you'll get anywhere you want safely.

I read that there might be a AWD Cobalt in 2010, that might be a nice addition if it holds true.

Again, Love my Cobalt. :)
    Thanks for the reply gerald41.
    It would be nice if AWD comes as an option on the Cobalt 2010.

I wasn't sure about buying the Sedan or Coupe, but I surely love the styling of the Coupe. I will probably go for the Coupe and since winter tires are now mandatory here since last year (15 nov --- 15 march) and from now on every year... unless I want to pay a 300$ fine, It will be pretty safe and even safer with AWD.
    The Cobalt will likely get fazed out when the Cruze comes out in 2010. Supposedly they will keep the high volume Cobalt innitially but then will slowly go with the more premium Cruze.
    It isn't more premium, its just an excuse to change the nameplate-again.
    The Cobalt was supposed to be their premium compact after they changed the name from Cavalier.
    GM doesn't know wtf they're doing.
    And Cruze is just an idiotic name. Sounds like it was named by The Village People.
    I read that the Cobalt will survive through the 2010 model year. It could be because all the photo's and what I've read only describes the Cruze as a sedan. Chevrolet has always had a compact as a Coupe version dating back to the Vega. I can't see them only offering a sedan. Also we must keep in mind with all the changes in the auto industry that what was in the works might be delayed or scrubbed altogether as cost saving will be the number 1 priority. :)
    Cruze is an idiotic name? Its a very attractive name by most people. People cruise in their cars so why not use the name though spelled differently. The name flows good.

I suppose you think Hyundai Genesis is a great name. I initially thought of the band Genesis from the 1980's.

There are dozens of car names that are less attractive than the Cruze, think about it.

Yes, the Cobalt was more premium than the Cavaliar but this car will take it a step further and could be the new bench mark in this catagory.
    Yes, I and many others think Cruze is a ridiculous name for a car. Cobalt at least has a tough sound to it.
    As for being a benchmark, after reading the tepid reviews of the car thats being sold in Europe right now I wouldn't count on it.
    It will probably be more involving to drive than a Corolla but then again so is a motor scooter (and the Cobalt).
    Compared to the Civic and Mazda 3 it will not handle as well. Compared to the Corolla and Elantra the ride quality will be as good or almost as good but reliabilty will be a concern for a new model (the Cobalt was a disaster when it first came out).

There is no rationale for a new name. Take the Cobalt and improve it and gain market penetration. GM is going back to square one with an all new name once again.

Stupid, just plain stupid.
    I can see your point with the new name so fast but this is a larger car and a new entry into a large compact crowd. I don't see a reason other than its size why it wouldn't handle as well as a Civic or Mazda when the current Cobalt in trim out handles both of those cars. Besides, does it need to be known for handling? The average person that buys the car is probably about 40 and not looking to wear the tires out around corners.

From what I read is this car will be the new standard with a threat from the Corrola being redone again to help keep it competive. The Corrola is the leader in this class even though it is a very bland car like most Toyota's.
    According to specs the Cruze is actually 1/2 inch shorter than the Cobalt.
    The current Cobalt does not handle as well as the Civic or 3, unless you were thinking of the Cobalt SS which handles so well its almost like a completely different car (if only GM paid attention to their best selling trims).
    If they want it to be another Corolla than handling won't matter much but in this class people buy Corolla's not only for MPG but for reliability-they seem to buy it automatically because if they ever test drove others car many of them wouldn't buy it, IMO. I test drove a Corolla and Cobalt back to back and the Cobalt was the better car in every respect, drive wise at least.
    GM needs a Home Run, the kind Ford hit with the first Focus-the car got rave reviews and people bought tons of them because of that, and yes, good handling was a major part of the rave reviews. Unfortunately the first year turned out to be unreliable so sales dropped afterwards until recently.
    The Cruze is getting tepid, middling reviews in Europe and that will be a disaster for Chevy here in the States. If they don't improve the car when it goes on sale here there will be a problem.
    I noticed that some of you were talking about funny or idiotic names for cars. I agree there are some stupid names for cars out there but let me tell you what happened to me about 10 years ago and I still remember the event like it was yesterday.
    I hope it gets lots of laughs because it did then.
    I was giving a conference on the safety of cars during an impact, I was quite nervous because there was about 200 people attending my conference and I said " I've once been rear-ended by a probe ". People were laughing/crying, it was like a comedy show. I said to myself "What he hell did I say wrong"? Then it hit me... I noticed I have forgotten to say a FORD "PROBE".
    Ford should never had called that car a "Probe".
    Hope this made you laugh because I'm still laughing at myself every time I think about it and it's been 10 years.
  • pa356228pa356228 Member Posts: 34
    Can't say I hate or love my 06 Cobalt LS (4 door-sedan) because my car doesn't have any major problems at the moment besides last month when I took my car in to get inspected, the chevy dealer said couldn't pass inspection because the front struts were leaking and wanted $600 to replace them. But, I took my car someplace else and it did pass inspection and they said my struts wasn't leaking, so couldn't figure that out. Now, ever since I brought my car (3 years ago) I, so far didn't have to buy new brakes, tires, struts, fluids (besides washer), bulbs (had to replaced one rear side marker), and has 52,800 miles. It is a good car. Chevys are nice to have, easy to fix or replace things, cheap and are gas savers.

I traded my 1994 Chevy Cavlier (4 doors) which was great on gas. Gets about 35 mpg city and hwy driving. Back then, I used to live in the country (peaceful) with less traffic jams and alot less street lights.
  • 93949394 Member Posts: 74
    i'm looking to buy either Cobalt, Elantra or Focus, and would like to see some slightly longer term feedback on the 2009 LT sedan.

thanks!
    2016 eSoul - All Electric - Zero Emission
    It's hard to find good honest service people. When you find one stick with them. People have tried to advise me on unneccessary services before but I didn't buy it. I know my vehicles to good.
  • pa356228pa356228 Member Posts: 34
    Focus is something I wouldn't buy. Heard alot of bad things. Cobalt has style and are good on gas mileage, more reliable, handles great and are good cars. (I have a cobalt LS) Elantra gets more mpg than chevys or any other cars and is great if you need a family car. I know some people who has Elantra, and says those cars gets about 41 mpg hwy/ 36 city (just refering to what they told me) and depending on how you drive.

My ex-girlfriend had hers for 7 years and still runs great with no major problems. She keeps her Elantra well maintain. Still, it's your decision. If you want a good car that will last you years to come, I would suggest a Cobalt. Have my going on 4 years without no problems.
    I was watching the business news today, and heard that the Lordstown plant where the Cobalt is built is being closed down and that the Cruze will be it's replacement. I guess that means the Cobalt will end with the 2009 model year. We all know GM is in alot of trouble, ending Pontiac as well. So i guess that says for sure that the Cobalt is history after just a 5 year run.
    Yep, that was decided awhile ago. Pretty stupid to kill another nameplate but GM is known for doing stupid things.
    From what I heard they will keep building the Cobalt through at least part of 2010. Its to high of a volume car to stop building at once.
    From what I heard they will keep building the Cobalt through at least part of 2010. Its to high of a volume car to stop building at once even though it is being replaced.
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    The inventory on Cobalts is getting low. Last chance for the best buy in compact coupes or sedans in many a year. Some of the rebates may sound as if you do not qualify, but they may be available anyway----be sure to ask.

My 2010 Cobalt LT in the best buy I have made in 55 years of replacing my cars about every three years.
  • justus3justus3 Member Posts: 21
    So, I still have my '07 Cobalt which I bought brand new. I still love it dearly, but it is falling apart more and more by the day. I have dealt in the past so far with having to get the steering column replaced, getting the recall work done that it had on it last year, and now even more problems. The cushion in the driver's side seat has begun to come apart on the outer edge. I can feel the frame of the seat poking through and the cushion material is falling out the bottom of the seat. Once again, there is a crazy rattling sound coming from the front end, similar to the noise it made when they had to replace the steering column. I can't tell if its the same issue all over again, or maybe just a broken strut but it rattles and thumps like no other. And now am having issues with speaker not working on the passenger side door. It only works when it feels like working. The car is almost paid for, so I really don't want to trade it in, but it just seems like everything is falling apart on it. Ugh..... :sick:
  • sirjamesiii7sirjamesiii7 Member Posts: 1
    I have ready many of these posts about the key being stuck, but my key is stuck in the ON position and wont turn off, I can move it forward as if I am going to start it but it wont rotate back to the off position and turn the engine off. I have tried pushing the white plunger in, tried putting it in gear and driving it around, locking and unlocking the doors, rolling the windows up and down, I even kicked the dog gone tires, to no avail, my car would not shut off. I removed the steering column assembly and found a green electrical connector on the back side of the ignition assembly that when unplugged turned my car off, and when I plugged it back in and turned the key to the start position started my car, so that will work, but is just not acceptable! Thoughts on what is causing this, what the fix is? Much appreciated!
  • happycamper6happycamper6 Member Posts: 2
    I bought my 09 XFE coupe new, and now have 28k miles on it.
    I've had ZERO real problems with this little ride. It did start some interior rattling early on, but what else can be expected of plastic cars?
    It's still getting great mileage, and still hits that little power band in third.... yes, a reason to smile. Other than getting on the freeway, I don't do a lot of hard driving... those days are passed for me. These days I'm more concerned with that $3 plus change gallon of gas.
    So far no problems with paint, but I do get it washed and spray waxed about once a month. Don't really think that makes a diff one way or the other, no car as new as any Cobalt should have flaking paint..That's an issue with GM.
    Wonder how the Cruze is doing in that area?