Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I love/hate my Cobalt

cobalt_bc_cobalt_bc_ Member Posts: 4
i own a 2006 cobalt, from the day i bought it i have had noting but problems and now 8 months later i am haveing even more problems.
1, my car was in a small accident coming of the delivery truck and i wasn't told about it until the paper work went through.
2, we were going around a narrow winedy lake road when all of a sudden for now reason and with no warning my car just shut off, i was told it was a safety feature (really safe lol),
3, my window regulator broke in the winter and was replaced, and is now broken again.
4, my defrost takes about and hour to defrost my windows, and i am told by gm that this is normal.
5, all of my mirrors wont stay in place.
6, the thradal body is now having problems.
7, and just now today it is telling me to service my airbags and the are bags have deactivated them selves.
And with all these problems the dealer ship is telling me i got a good deal and a good car.
I WARN ANYONE WHO IS INTRESTED IN BUYING A COBALT TO SERIOUSLY CONSIDER SOMETHING ELSE, I WOULDN'T WISH THIS ON MY WORST ENEMY.

Comments

• djbaltdjbalt Member Posts: 2
    Sorry to hear of your bad experiences with the cobalt. If the dealer did not disclose your new cobalt having had an accident before they sold it to you, that is a violation of law. You did not say if you bought your cobalt new or used and "as is".

If your cobalt stopped in the middle of a mountain road, that also could be grounds to get your money back on the car under your states lemon laws.

My defroster is fast.

A buddy of mine and myself both bought loaded new 2006 cobalts SS models. After about 9000 miles each, we've had Zero problems. It is for me a delight to own and drive.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    sales are up for June, lets hope more owners are like djbalt. I am really sorry that your cobalt is having problems, but it sounds like the dealer is behind most of them. Meybe you should get a lawyer?
  • cobalt_bc_cobalt_bc_ Member Posts: 4
    i bought my car new. and it is now at 20000 kms. i have a 3yr old son and i don't even feel safe driving the car with him in it.
  • grosloupgrosloup Member Posts: 239
    Without being to negative, how was the Cobalt in winter driving. I can see that you have 20,000 kms and not milles and you had problems with your rear defogger so I guess your from Canada. Snow country right.
    I'm very sorry to hear that you dislike or hate your Cobalt because everyone I know had problems but they got fixed and now they love their Cobalt. Good thing it's still on warranty.
    Well then, leave your son at home if you don't feel save with him in the car and go alone, he can't be that bad at 3 yrs. old.
    excuse me, i was not talking about my sons behaviour, i am talking about the CAR, and the safety of the CAR.
    Then their is only one thing you can do if you can. Get rid of the car before it's to late then you and your family will be safer with something else.
    There are some lemons in every car family and I guess you got one. Sorry about my wisecrack, I knew all the time you were talking about your car and not your son. He must be adorable but I'm the kind of person that's alway's joking. No hard feelings.
    I don't blame you and I agree with you, riding with your love ones in a car that is not very safe that's not good at all.
    You seem to be a caring and loving person for your family, don't stop. I hope everything's gonna turn up O.K. for you.
    Good Luck!
    How about winter driving with the Cobalt? I was thinking of buying one for my daughter but now I'm not to sure about it cause I'm taking your word for it. Thanks!
    hi
    i do have to admit that the car did pretty good in the winter months, we had no problems in the snow, but the stock tires aren't the best in the rain for traction. And i would recomend getting a sun roof because it sure gets hot in the summer without one.
  • nyguy1nyguy1 Member Posts: 23
    Just wanted to post that I have a 2005 Cobalt with NO options and have put 21,000 miles on the car. We have had NO problems whatsoever and average 35 mpg on the highway arount 30 mpg combined. Mechanically, I have had NO work done on the car except oil changes each 3K and new tires at 20K. I could not be happier with the performance and reliability of this car. I am in no way related to GM or anyone that works for GM by the way.
    Is your Cobalt a sedan or coupe? In your part of the country is there any snow in wintertime? if so... How did it handled in the snow?
  • gerald41gerald41 Member Posts: 37
    This is my 8th new car in my life and it's by far the best quality out the door of any of them. I've owned the car for just about a year and drive the hell out of it and havn't had 1 reason to return to the dealer other than for oil changes. I currently have over 19,000 miles on the car. Lets keep in mind as well that this is one of the cheapest cars on the market today.

You can get a problem item in anything you buy today, but it doesn't mean they all have that issue. I had bought a Sony plasma tv and a few nights later the power switch failed and had to be replaced. That doesn't mean every tv is bad, same with cars.

Cobalt is a hit in my family and would recommend it highly.
  • cacophanycacophany Member Posts: 1
    I have the 05 Cobalt Coup LS Fully loaded, with a sweet system that I didn't have to even think about any after market kickers, and it came with an amp in the trunk.

This is my first car, and I have to say that I love it. I only had a tiny issue with the sun roof button before I bought it and the sun roof cover being stuck. But they fixed it before I drove it off the lot after I bought it.

It drives great, handels wonderfully. When I was car shopping I test drove a new Lexus IS300, and I still liked the way the Cobalt handeled. (Though of course I was still trying to justifiy spending the extra money for the lexus.)

I still would have bought the Cobalt. It has 20 miles on it when I bought it last year August, and now has 7k miles. The only thing that I have had to do was get the oil changed and regular maintaince.

Now if I can only calm down my driving so I can enjoy the wonderfull gas mileage this car has. (The woes of a lead foot)

Not to mention I have gotten loads of compliments on my cute little red Cobalt.
    Did you drive your Cobalt in snowstorms last winter? If you did, how did it handle. I might buy a Cobalt 2007 but my only concern is driving in deep snow, cause we have pretty much of it up north.
    I live on Long Island, N.Y we get some nasty winters here and I'll say the Cobalt handles very well. I have a relative with a 05 cobalt and I own an 06. Mine is super in the snow but my cousins is alittle better. The michelins on my LT aren't as good as the perellis my cousin got on his. Other than that the car plaws through whatever is thrown on it and the traction control, works great. :blush:
  • nyguy1nyguy1 Member Posts: 23
    I have the Cobalt Sedan and the car spent last winter in Dayton, OH and Rochester, NY. The snow was no problem with the factory tires. BTW, just made a 300 mile trip in the mid-west. Got 38 mpg but noticed a nice tail wind going our way.
    To all those who answered my question about the Cobalt performance in winter and snow handling (driving). You are so kind by taking a little of your time for me. Once again thanks a lot. People like you, helping others are what forums are suppose to be all about. Grosloup.
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    I've read your posts and I'm sorry to hear about the problems you're having with your Cobalt. But, I hope you're not inferring you're totally without recourse, because I don't buy into that notion at all. You have a 3 yr/36,000 mile warranty from Chevrolet Division of GM. That warranty was issued by the manufacturer precisely to help owners sort out problems beyond their control such as you described. If your selling dealer will not work with you in solving the problems (including damage sustained when your car was transferred off the carrier trailer) you have two options: 1> You're not joined at the hip to your selling dealer. If he won't work with you getting your car squared away, then take the car to ANY Chevrolet dealer - whatever's done to repair the problem areas you listed will be on GM's nickel, or, 2> call GM's toll-free hotline listed in your warranty supplement or owner's manual booklet(s) and start a case file. (Hint - a GM dealerhip will do what a zone rep tells 'em to if they want to keep their franchise. ;)) As to tires, ordinary passenger cars are factory equipped with "All Season" (aka, "M&S") tires that really equate to "general use" - they provide at least minimally adequate performance in most exigencies, but stand out in none. If you live in an area subject to severe weather, then buy four extra wheels (an auto-recycler yard can be a source for reasonably priced used wheels for your car) and mount snow tires on them. Run your OEM "All Season" tires anytime after spring thaw, and mount the snow tires anytime after the first hard frost. For anyone who lives in a snow-belt state, this seasonal precaution should be considered common sense, not rocket science.
  • bill_sullybill_sully Member Posts: 2
    I feel your pain. I have a 2005 Base Cobalt that just turned over 40K. I am on my way back to the dealer fro the sixth time for the same problem. The last time I was out of warranty and they good willed it for me that was 3 weeks ago and now it is going back in today for the same thing. It starts out as a problem with what i think would be the transmission the care takes for ever to get up to speed (have to fan the accelerator) to get there and then when is shifts, it shifts so hard that it throws me back into the seat. the last 2 time the said that they were on the phone with the tech guys in detroit and they told them to replace the ignition switch. Also let me point out that from day one I have had a problem getting my key out of the ignition, I have to play with the shifter to get the key out. Well yesterday the key stuck and I can not get it out, the shifter will not lock. I have contacted my state about the lemon law and have been told that since it is an 05 I am out of luck.

Just brings back bad memories that I have had with Chevrolets. Looks like I will be buying Fords from now on.
    :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    right out of the frying pan and into the fire... ;)
  • bellabalt311bellabalt311 Member Posts: 5
    I'm still suprised how many people are STILL having problems with their Balt. I assume it's because they're just NOW getting to the "real" problems. I have a 2005 Cobalt LS Coupe fully loaded, btw. Heres a list of the problems I've ALREADY had....

1) 2 weeks after I got the car the pieces in my doors started coming apart (I finally got that fixed after 7mos)
    2) Took it in for an alignment 3 weeks after I got the car (It was pulling)
    3) I've taken my car in 3 times for this...e-brake and highbeams coming on randomly and blinding people...(upgraded to 06' software...hasn't done it since)
    4) Also taken it back 3 times...CD Player saying "error" and "no disc" when there was one...and wouldn't eject the CD. (on the 4th trip they finally replaced the CD player)
    5) Passenger side speaker went out, it was bad...they fixed it.
    6) There was a vibration that eventually got really bad when I would go on long trips...found out my rotors we're irregularly warped or worn. (Please...this car wasn't even a yr old!)
    7) My little cruise control button feels like it wasn't detached right (no big deal yet, but ...it will eventually fall off!)

this was all in less than 8,000 miles!

and now....with 12,000 miles...the newest edition to my long list of PROBLEMS would be MY KEY GETTING STUCK IN THE IGNITION! Yeah, I haven't gotten ahold of my dealership b/c i've been so damn busy...but, it's happened 8 times in the past week. So, we're going to get that fixed!!! I still LOVE my car tho....even after all that, I just hate her sometimes! hahaha
  • alpine1alpine1 Member Posts: 51
    I experienced getting the key stuck in the ignition on a 2006 Cobalt that I rented. It was very frustrating, until I learned how to get it out. When parking, apply the brakes to stop, and put the shift (auto trans) in "P", but keep your foot on the brake. Then turn the ignition off and remove the key. Finally, remove your foot from the brake. If the key gets stuck, start the car again, put it in drive or reverse and move the car a few inches, apply the brakes to stop, and put the shift (auto trans) in "P", but keep your foot on the brake. Then turn the ignition off and remove the key. Finally, remove your foot from the brake.
    The more I look at the Cobalts, the more I like them. Especially the Coupe SS.
    Here is where I need some help. I got my first car a 1973 Dodge Swinger (the only one bought used) at 18 yrs. old then a 1977 Chev. Chevelle Malibu Classic at 20, a 1984 Chev. Blazer S-10 at 27, a 1992 GMC Safari at 35, a 1994 Chev. Blazer S-10 at 37, a 1999 Chev. Venture at 42 and now I drive a 2005 Chev. Equinox 48 when I bought it. I'm going on 50 and I'm interested on buying a Cobalt SS Coupe. Since 1984 I've been a truck owner and now going back to a car? As you can see I've been a loyal G.M. lover for a long time. Is my decision a normal one or I'm I going crazy? What kind of car is realy the Cobalt? Good or Bad?
  • chevyguy55chevyguy55 Member Posts: 3
    Looks like youll be spending more time at the dealer from now on. :P
  • chevyguy55chevyguy55 Member Posts: 3
    i have an 06 Cobalt LT2 5 speed. No problems with the car at all. Just do the normal 3k oil change. Nothing better than a Chevy!
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    All cars have much better reliability than they did 20 years ago.

That said....In the small car category, the most reliable vehicles are the new Honda Fit and Toyota Yaris, the Honda Civic Hybrid, and the Toyota Corolla. The Chevrolet Cobalt, with 37 percent more problems than the average, scored the lowest among small cars, followed by the Nissan Sentra (2006), the Volkswagen Jetta (5-cyl.) and the Chevrolet Aveo.

Consumer reports rates the reliability of the Cobalt as the worst among small cars. I'm not a CR subscriber and I'm not fond of the fact that CR only surveys it's subscribers.

How can I say this without offending Cobalt owners.....OK, IMO every small car currently made and sold in the US would be preferred over the Cobalt.
    )) "Consumer reports rates the reliability of the Cobalt as the worst among small cars. I'm not a CR subscriber and I'm not fond of the fact that CR only surveys it's subscribers.

How can I say this without offending Cobalt owners.....OK, IMO every small car currently made and sold in the US would be preferred over the Cobalt." ((

How can I say what I'm about to say without offending, hmmm... oh, yeah, you.....OK, IMO you've repeatedly gone out of your way to denigrate Consumer Reports over several months with allegations of the publisher's bias towards subscribers, (funny, CR does report the bad along with the good in their subscriber-based surveys - which does represent a rather broad portion of the socio-economic spectrum...) but then use the publication's (allegedly suspect) ratings to excoriate the Cobalt. If both CR and the Cobalt's deficiencies are so unnerving for you, why do you persist in mentally flagellating yourself by dwelling on them?
    I've posted before on here. I drive over 150 miles a day from white plains, N.Y to JFK Airport. My Cobalt now has 25,300 miles on it and the car has not been to the dealer with any problems at all only oil changes. I have to repeat I have not had 1 problem with the car. The cobalt is a superior car, some might have gotten lemons but in general the car is the best. I also have co-worker that bought a cobalt last january and at 11,000 miles his has also had zero problems.
    Hey! Gerald41
    I'm looking forward to buying a Cobalt Coupe SS (not supercharged) because it seems to be a great car. I agree there are some lemons in every brand of cars.
    I can see you live in the north-east. How was the winter driving (ice and snow) last year. I live just north of you (Canada) where there is plenty of snow and that's my biggest concern. To face the winter season with a Cobalt. Do you ride on snow tires? By your name I figure you're 41. Right?
    If not how old are you and your co-workers? Cause people tell me that the Cobalt Coupe is for young people only. I'm going on 50 and I love the Cobalt. My wife had a 1998 Cavalier and she never had any problems and they say that the Cobalt is much better than the Cavalier. So it must be a fantastic car.
    I'm not gerald41, but I am 61 and 5'11". My better half currently owns a '00 Cavalier she just paid off. (She had to learn the hard way not to ever be upside down again with a 60 month loan.) As soon as she gets the "pink slip" (clear title in California), off she'll go to a Chevrolet store for a new Cobalt LTZ (silver with neutral leather - she's been drooling over the '06 brochure for months... ;)). She rented an '06 coupe for us to take an extended drive to Phoenix to visit the grandkids. I had no problems with headroom in the car. My only objection to coupes (not just Cobalts, either) is the difficulty for anyone but kids to ingress and egress the rear seat. I also appreciate the four-doors for loading "stuff" into the rear seat. I have only VERY limited experience with driving in snow, so I can't offer an opinion on the need for snow tires for a Cobalt other than I'd tend to err on the side of caution. (You're as young as you feel. Tell the know-it-alls who say Cobalts are for young people only to mind their own business and enjoy their thrashed old Ladas and Yugos.)
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    2006 Coupe, stick shift, 9,700 miles

No problems whatsoever; very quick with the stick shift. Saved $6,000 vs. getting a Honda Civic Coupe (the regular, not the Si!). 35 mpg on my commute (calculated by hand over many gas tanks; the onboard computer is 1 mpg optimistic).
    As for my experience in driving the cobalt through winter weather, I would rate it average. I'm in my 50's and have drove small and large cars and front wheel drive and rear drive cars. The Cobalt is your typical front wheel drive car. It has no pro's or cons over my previous car (2001 Malibu). It plows through deep snow and drives as good as can be expected on slippery roads. The michelins on my LT aren't as good as the perellis my cousin got on his, other than that I'll repeat I'm very satisfied with the car and highly recommend it. It's a solid well built car. This is the first new car I can remember that I didn't have any issues with that called for a return to the dealer. This car is my workhorse and has yet to let me down. By the way it's an LT with leather interior with every option except the sunroof, out the door it was 18,400. :)
    Thanks for your responses (gerald41) and (Ray h1)
    I guess my next car will be a Cobalt Coupe SS. Now I'm more confidant about the winter season. I agree with Ray h1 about the hassle the coupe could be versus a sedan but my wife seems to like more the coupe (sportier look)she says. And yes Cobalts are made for the old guys like us that feel young as we are.
    Thanks again for your help.
  • t_l_mackt_l_mack Member Posts: 3
    My cobalt has also turned off three times and all the dealership said was there was nothing wrong wit hit. So I told them that I needed a better answer than that, now they are contacting GM engineers to see if this problem has occurred with anyone else and we'll see where it goes from there.
  • maverickkatmaverickkat Member Posts: 1
    I have had my fair share of problems with my own cobalt. As of now I have 13,000 miles on my car,and have had to take it in to the dealership a couple of times. The first time was to have the windsheild replaced because there was moisture under the window. Then there was a slight vibration which turned out to be the mud flap was loose. And most recently the keys kept getting stuck in ignition. The whole shifting unit had to be replaced. So be sure to get your car in as soon as possible.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Hi All,

First let me say I own a 2006 Cobalt. I purchasd the Cobalt for 2 reasons first I owned a 94 Cavalier which gave me 183,000 good miles, second I have a relative which works for a chevrolet dealer. Currently I have 6,000 miles on the cobalt my only problem was the dreaded "key stuck in the ignition" problem. It was an easy fix having my car in and out the shop in around an hour. Here's the comon issues that Cobalts suffer according to my cousin.

Key stuck 05 and 06 models. pin in shifter assembly falls out of alignment, fix change complete shifter assembly that has improved pin.

A/C leaks mainly 05's seal on unit is poor, they reseal it with a new seal.

All other issues are rare, the 2 above account for most service calls. He says the key being stuck happens to nearly 6 out of every 10 cars and you might see a recall coming because of that. The average car starts seeing this problem between 5 and 10 thousand miles.
  • tony62tony62 Member Posts: 1
    Water vapor coming from vents when A/C is on. He says there's no fix for this.

Steering colume vibration very rare has only seen 1 car with this problem.

Interior sunroof moulding falls off. New clips installed.

There are a few other issues He mentioned that I forgot but those were the most common.

Without doubt though the Key stuck is very common, they see them everyday.New shifter assemblys are fixed, but he's says even as recent as the summer some of the replacement shifters still had the problem and had to be changed again.

So if you key starts to give you problems go to the dealer and have the shifter assemby changed It won't go away by itself and will only get worse.
  • az714galaz714gal Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 05 Cobalt at a tent sale by Chevrolet in May 2005 in AZ. It has 27,000 miles on it, and up until now I've had small lil' frustrations with it here & there.

So, what's the big problem? My car won't start & the key is STILL stuck in the ignition! Yesterday my brother goes out to my car to get his sweater & uses the keyless entry. He said when he pushed the "unlock" button, it didn't work. So, then he had to use the key to unlock the door. Then, he says he tried to pop the trunk (using the button), and nothing. He then thinks he needs to put the key in the ignition to activate the power, and when he does the trunk still doesn't pop open. After that he couldn't release the key from the ignition. Next, he said he tried to start the engine to release it, and the car never started! So he goes & gets me... and of course I'm thinking you just need to mess with the key for a bit & it'll pop out. But what suprised me was the car was COMPLETELY DEAD! And no, it wasn't my battery! Even if it was the battery, the trunk should still be able to pop open, right? So, everyone there gives it a shot, and nothing. I wait about 2 hours & try it again. The key only moves forward (which starts the engine), then moves back but I still can't get it out!

So I call the dealership, and the lady says everyone is busy & someone will have to call me back. She gets my name, and number & the type of vehicle I drive. So I'm waiting here thinking someone will call within the hour, nothing. I call again, she says the same thing, "Nobody is available for her to transfer me to", and says she can get my info again. So... Here I am on the net tryin to research & see if this has been a problem for anybody else. I can see that the key getting stuck in the ignition is quite common. BUT... I think I've only seen one other person post about a "lease" they had where the car didn't start, but they were able to get the key out, but had to get it towed back to the dealership, and got another Cobalt. Well, mine is a purchase & I'm pretty much stuck with it unless I shop for a new vehicle. I'll admit that I was having the whole "key stuck in the ignition" problem as well for at lease 3-4 weeks, but my busy schedule kept me from gettin it to the dealership. I guess that was my problem for not getttin it taken care of right away.... BUT WHY DID MY CAR HAVE TO DIE??? Since nobody from the Dealership is calling me back it looks like I need to get it towed. I'm sure they're gonna have it for more than a day. Do you know if they pay for a rental while it's getting worked on?

I'm soooooo ticked about this! That was the whole point of me gettin a brand new vehicle, so I wouldn't run into any problems like this. It's only been a year & a half since I've had my Cobalt =(
    That is bad news. Time for a sitdown and some herbal tea. The good news is that your warranty is through Chevrolet Division of General Motors - not the selling dealership, which by your account seems to be remarkably unresponsive. (The morons may actually be doing you a favor! ;)) Try another Chevy dealership - it's always YOUR option with which Chevrolet dealership to have warranty and routine service matters dealt with. Since this is a warranty matter, check the warranty section in your owner's manual - towing may be covered, too. Your frustration is understandable, but keep in mind your ailing car is fixable.

(One final point - your car didn't "HAVE TO DIE". It just did. The lock-the-ignition-key-in-the-switch malady is an equal opportunity aggravation.)
  • gonzam02gonzam02 Member Posts: 3
    Good Day,

Do you know what has to be done with in regards to the steering vibration? I have been to the dealership 4-5 times about this problem and they can not figure out what it is. The vibration occurs once every 2 months or so, but it's scary as heck... Any advice will help! thanks!
  • chancediazchancediaz Member Posts: 1
    interesting story. Coincidence i guess, but my girlfriend who lives with me has a 05 Cobalt also and almost this exact same thing JUST NOW happened! We get back from dinner get out and lock the door and she saw it lock and the light flashed and she thinks they turned off. It almost seemed the computer messed up or something right when they flashed because all the lights that do flash were still on. a few hours later someone knocks on my door and says the light are on. so we try to unlock the car to turn them off but nothing works. not the trunk button, lock, unlock or the alarm. I figure its the computer so ill just undo the battery then re hook it and it should reset it. but first i manually unlock the door then put it in to see if it will start or if the trunk button would work. neither happens ( the headlights were very dim so i figure the battery was close to dead) i still dont know why i tried to start it. I should have manually opened the trunk where the battery is located but now the key is in the ignition and its stuck! so i cant start the car and cant open the trunk. so basically the car is stuck out on the street with the dim lights still shining, the keys in the ignition and we have to leave the door unlocked because we only have one set of keys. Maybe someone has a suggestion??
  • logmgrlogmgr Member Posts: 39
    I have an 05 Cobolt...averages around 34mpg...has 23K on it.....also have an 06.
    Basically happy with both.
    ONE problem I have had....while driving down the innerstate at 70 MPH the brake warning light blinked on...checked fluid and that was ok...it did not do it again for 3000 miles. This is one of those deals where the dealer cannot duplicate the problem because the light does not blink regularly...only twice in 23000 miles.
    I did notice that the brake pedal seems to be higher/lower at randon.
    Has anyone else had this difficulty?
    I would just like to find out what needs replaced.
    Thanks.
  • logmgrlogmgr Member Posts: 39
    My cobalts ( I have an 06 and an 05)have about the same miles as yours.
    Have you ever had a problem with uneven tire wear or vibration ?
    Both of mine have and I just do not know what to have checked.
    Presuming neither car has collision damage, start with having the tires rebalanced (after checking and adjusting tire pressures to at least what your owner's manual specifies - preferably 2 or 3 lbs above. Then take the cars to a good alignment shop to verify/adjust toe-in/toe-out as necessary that the front wheels are aligned to factory specs for proper tracking.
  • ejackson75ejackson75 Member Posts: 3
    I have to say I bought a fully loaded brand new Cobalt LT (4 miles on the odometer when I signed all the dotted lines -- 2 of which I put on it during the test drive. It boasted leather seats, sunroof, premium sound chrome wheels..... you get the idea -- beatiful car. I drove it from Nevada to Montana once and then from Nevada to Washington State once. It was functional and I loved how I could do a u-turn in it and not even take up 2 lanes to do it in. The sound sytem was awesome and I was overall impressed and pleased with the car. I loved the car when I drove it off the lot, but once it hit about 12,000 miles all HELL broke loose lets see.....

1) The car sat in my drive way over night several times and had to be jump started -- I took it to the dealership and apparently the battery was dead bad fuse or wire or something...... funny little thing is that after the battery was replaced the car still had to be jumpstarted a coupl eof times my husband and I finally deducted that I had to UNPLUG the cell phone charger I think that thing only pulls 1 amp, but apparently the poor car couldn't handle it .... so those people charging their cell phones in their cars over night I wouldn't reccommend it with this car.

2.) The motor in the sunroof died .... then the bracket around the button to the sunroof fell out of the ceiling.

3.) The little ashtray/garbage container wouldn't close it kept falling open and I kept having to replace it.

4.) The clip on the center console broke.

5.) The paint on the bumper started peeling for no real good reason?????? Get that one.

6.) Then lastly -- the straw that snapped the cammels back was -- getting pulled over by a cop because the brake lights and my left turn signal were out.

I have owned other makes/models of cars in the past 10-15 years I have never had to replace lightbulbs, or window motors in the cars before my loan was finished!!!!

7.) The most pitiful part of all is that I decided to trade it in and buy Sebring Convertible and the fleet manager said he couldn't give me a good deal on the trade because he was going to send the car to auction and not recondition it for resale --- I know some of you are thinking oh the dealership is lying to you ..... BUT my husband works for that dealership and they had to really work a deal so I could get out of my headache that we all call a Chevrolet Cobalt.

Maybe I got a LEMON, but truthfully my husband worked for that dealership when I bought that car. It was a new model and he now tells me that people are turning them in like hotcakes and that because their is such a high turn over and the market is saturated with them that they don't hold their value.

BUYER BEWARE!!!!!
  • gman55gman55 Member Posts: 5
    Bought '06 LS in June. Put on 12K so far with just a few "minor" issues...

- Cheap wheel covers "squeak" over road bumps. (dealer re-taped)
    - Seatbelt retract mechanism getting weak, closing door on it.
    - Spoiler's left pylon leaks water days after a high pressure wash.

Haven't had any of the other problems listed here though...

Guess I'm just lucky...so far.
  • sepherothsepheroth Member Posts: 1
    TO EVERYONE WITH A 05 OR 06 COBALT WITH A NEW MODEL CAR COMES NEW PROBLEMS BUT DONT WORRY WITH THE 07 COBALT COMES GOOD NEWS CHEVROLET HAS COME UP WITH A WAY TO FIX THE "KEY" ISSUE BUT MOST OF US DONT OWN 07 COBALTS FOR THOSE OF US WHO OWN 05 OR 06 COBALTS INSIDE THE SHIFTER IS A MICROSWITCH THAT TELLS THE CAR THAT THE SHIFTER IS IN PARK THE MICROSWITCH IS A NEW SWITCH NEVER PUT INTO A CAR BEFORE THE 05 COBALT AND THE SWITCHES ARE BREAKING WHICH MAKES YOUR KEYS NOT COME OUT WHEN YOU WANT IF YOUR CAR DOES THIS DONT FEAR HELP IS HERE UNDER THE STEERING WHEEL THERE IS A SMALL PANEL THIS PANEL WAS PLACED SPECIFICALLY FOR THIS REASON MOST OF THE TIME YOUR FINGER NAIL CAN GET THE PANEL OPEN ONCE OPEN SLIDE YOUR FINGER INTO THE SLOT AND FEEL AROUND FOR WHAT FEELS LIKE A PLUNGER WITH A SPRING ON THE BACK PUSH THAT FORWARD AND THAT WILL ENGAGE THE KEY LOCK AND ALLOW YOU TO PULL YOUR KEYS OUT SOON AFTER GET TO A DEALER AND THEY SHOULD PUT A NEW SHIFTER INTO THE CAR IT WILL TAKE ABOUT 5 DAYS AND GM WILL PAY FOR A RENTAL FOR THE TIME YOU LOST YOUR CAR WITH NO EXPENSE TO YOU UNLESS YOU GET THE RENTAL INSURANCE

I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU COBALT OWNERS I WISH I HAD THIS KNOWLEDGE WHEN IT HAPPENED TO MY CAR!!! :P
  • cobaltkencobaltken Member Posts: 21
    From Sundays paper.The cobalt is going to be built through 2009 at the chevy Lordstown Ohio plant,after that they are not sure .It said that there are a few plants bidding on new models and the Lordstown plant is one of those plants.They might keep building the cobalt there or stop production on this car and build something new.For 2008 Chevy is dropping the Supercharger model and replacing it with a turbo charger model. read this in Sundays Cleveland Ohio Plain dealer.
  • orbit9090orbit9090 Member Posts: 116
    I can't bear to read your posting. Don't use all caps, and learn about punctuation. You do yourself no help by making your opinion difficult to read.
  • janicevjanicev Member Posts: 1
    I would like to hear others opinions on the Chevrolet Cobalt. I am in the process of having to buy a very economical car.
    Janice
    My wife and I are not sure what color to choose for our Cobalt. We decided on a Coupe LT or SS (not supercharged). We never owned a black car before, my wife would like it black but I'm not convince yet.
    What do you think of black cars. Good choise or not.
    In the past my cars were beige, gray, red and blue. Now my wife wants black for our next car. Need some advise, negative or positive.