Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW X5 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• thank you for the information im taking car to a shop hopefully they can come up with an axplenation i will keep you posted on anything see if help you guys out
  • the maintenance program is totally a joke or scam. It cover oil change and front wipper only.
    My X5 still under 6 years warranty. My local dealer in alhambra want to charge me $145 for break inspection, $320 for repairing a dead break light (I paid $10 to a roadside garage, they resolved the problem in 1 minute). BMW dealer do not provide tire rotate service unless you pay them extra money and they keep pushing me replace all four tires for more than $1600 even my X5 has only 20000 miles.
    DO NOT PURCHASE ANY EXTENDED WARRANTY FROM BMW.
  • Is that in Spain? I have the extended warranty on my 2008. Everything but new tires is covered. I even broke a tail-light lens myself and they replaced it. I would think that your dealership is not doing the job...
  • Union Park BMW in Wilmington, Delaware and Otto's BMW of West Chester, PA. as well as BMW's national service representative all told me the following regarding rotor and pad replacement. I asked the same question when I was told my rotors would not be replaced along with the pads under warranty! The deal is, when the pad sensor light warns you that the pads need to be replaced, that is all that is required. The rotors are measured and as long as they are above BMW specs, only the pads are replaced. Now, here is the confusing part; once new pads are placed on your BMW, the rotor spec is lowered to what is referred to as "the state legal minimum". Only then, will the rotors be replaced under warranty! If you are are automatically replacing rotors each time pads are replaced, you are wasting money! I have been driving my X5 with new pads and old rotors for some time now. And yes, it is all still covered under warranty.
  • check the recalls for your BMW i saw they recalled due to bad brake line causing more damage
  • jim448jim448 Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 535XI and had this same problem...this fixed the issue.

On my car, the steering column would go all the way down when i entered the car first time. I could move it up but it would not work the first time I tried (heard a click when i tried). The second time I tried to move it up, it would go but when I turned the car off it started all over again.

Holding the memory 1 key in , moving the seats and turning car on and off 2 times corrected all of these problems - Thanks so much.
  • lprismlprism Posts: 2
    My shifter failed to move from park to drive, although it would move from drive to reverse and back just fine. The shop I have been going to for years found a used shifter and installed it. It will not move into manual mode now, although it works fine from park through reverse. They claim it is a plastic bushing and to make a new one out of metal would cost $200 (getting near the cost of a new shifter.) I looked up the shifter part and it appears there is only one bushing, which does not look like plastic. It looks like there are two rods which would control the auto and manual modes. Is it really one of these rods (which can be bought on-line) which is the issue? If so, is this a quick repair if I purchase the two rods for $11 or so? The story is not adding up. I miss the sporty manual mode (well, my teen daughter really does.)
  • lprismlprism Posts: 2
    edited March 2011
    Update. I took a photo of the part at issue, but can't post it here. I understand now why I can't shift into manual (plastic bushing wired now to prevent broken parts from falling off). Now the question is whether I can get the parts in red (plastic cap, plastic connector, plastic cap on other end) without buying a whole new shifter. Amazing that they make this part out of plastic and not make it spareable, near as I can tell.

Looking at the shifter from the driver's seat with the cover removed, this is the plastic bushing on the back left part of the shifter, 180 deg to the shifter movement plane. It has a cap on one end, a rod in the center near as I can tell and a plastic cap on the other end (the one that sheared off) that fits into a stationary cyclinder separate from the shifter on the right side that enables the shifter to move into the manual mode direction.
  • Light came on and at dealership fault code 2A87 resulted in an oil change and replacement vanos solenoids. 200 miles later check engine light back on. Before I go back to the dealership I was told that probable solution is a partial rebuild of engine due to oil changes not being at 7,000 intervals resulting in a residue buildup. 2007 X5 81,000 miles, have followed the recommended (dealership) service plan. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?
  • Would this be an issue I should let BMW Dealer repair services take care of??? They are going to charge me $1370 (labor=$615, parts=$748). Can this be handle by other import repair shop for alot cheaper?? What would be a good round about price for this repair? Thank you for any help!
  • dlanksdlanks Posts: 1
    According to BMW this is a known problen. Bmw cannot fix due to computer programming and aftermarket shops cannot fix because of BMW's proprietary software. Bmw recomendation is trade the car in. Since it is 4 mos. old this really did not seem like an option.
  • The transmission on my 2006 X5 has been acting up since just ending warranty at 39,000 miles. BMW North America says too bad - pay the $7K for a new one. I bought the car as a demo, and thought I had until August this year for the warranty to expire. Turns out it expired in April. I started noticing some funky jerking in the transmission this year, but was not in any hurry to get it looked at. In May I took it to the dealer, who said there were faults and the car needed a new mechatronics (sp?). It is like the computer for the transmission. BMW NA provided the part and the dealer and I split the labor, but it did not solve the problem. I have taken it back several times, and the dealer finally said it needed a new transmission (after a few other diagnoses). Even though their initial diagnosis was wrong, BMW NA said they will only "assist" an owner once. This one is on me.

It is kind of laughable. When the service advisor returned the car to me after my 3rd visit, he said "you should get 200,000 miles out of this vehicle". If I have to replace major components every 40,000 miles, I am not going to stick around to find out.

The other irony is - about 2years ago, a friend told me he knew several people with transmission problems on the X5. I assumed he said that because he is a Porsche guy. Since then, I have met several more people with X5s having tranny issues. It appears that my friend was correct. -- Be careful if you are thinking of buying one!
  • The radio in my X5 is stuck in Phone mode and I can not change it back to Audio mode. Any suggestions?
  • John - did you try the three-key-salute? When the car power is on, press the eject on the CD player, the Nav player and then press the volume (on) button... all at the same time. This reboots the Nav unit.
  • Thanks for the suggestions howerver I do not have a navigations system.
  • Hi, we are having this problem with the BMW X5 3l diesel of 2001 - it is stalling while driving and it will re start as if nothing happened - while driving it runs good with no errors

this could happen 3 or 4 times in the same day or within a week, we have already changed the diesel fuel pump which is under back seat but nothing :(

looking forward to your feedback

with kind regards
    Mark
  • Unfortunately no errors come up even when it stalls, we did 4 diagnostic until now and nothing. Know it’s at BMW Malta which also can’t figure out problem

regards and thanks for you help

mark
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,266
    Have the fuel filters been changed and the fuel checked for water?

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• im having the same problem with my 745i 2002. It just stalled, started 30 minutes later as if nothing. mechanic can't find anything. have you any help?
  • Yes we did but nothing ... dont know what else to do. :mad:

Anymore suggestions ?

thanks
    Without codes any diagnosis become quite difficult and near impossible from a distance. Generally speaking, if a car is stalling and doesn't throw codes, I'd tend to suspect a fuel delivery issue, since the fuel system usually doesn't throw codes.

• I have a 2001 BMW x5 6cyl that has been having problems with burning oil since new. While under warranty dealer said oil burn was normal. it’s not on the ground. I replace the gaskets at about 80k miles. I currently have 207K miles, bought it new, and oil and antifreeze is mixing. I have been told it is on a death march. Currently the only thing that is holding it together is the Lucas oil stabilizer. I'm burning about 2qt per 1000 miles for the past 2-3 years. No one could tell me where the oil was going. is anyone with a 2001 x5 having problems with excessive burning oil? I have spend a fortune on this vehicle. Looking for options.
    With that high mileage there aren't many options except a short block--doing an upper cylinder rebuild on the heads will only aggravate the oil burning on such an old engine. The "death march" part is because if antifreeze is mixing with your oil you will ruin the engine bearings. I don't see how an additive would help this.

Hard to say why the oil is burning but a cylinder leakdown test would certainly tell you exactly what the problem(s) might be.

• jellybeann77jellybeann77 Posts: 2
    edited March 2012
    I have a 2003 X5 4.4i and theres a message saying check coolant level, which i did and its low.
    Is there a specific coolant that i should get?
    BMW Antifreeze/Coolant Part Number 82 14 1 467 704

you can buy it on Amazon but I think other places might even be a bit cheaper.

• paulepaule Posts: 382
    This is typical BMW. "Go to the dealer and buy our special engine coolant".
    It's nothing but regular coolant. Go with a name brand and you're fine.
    I've used regular Prestone on my wife's 325xi which had a coolant sensor that leaked coolant and never had any issues.

I use the extended life Prestone on my X5 with no issues as well. Why I use the extended life? No real reason since I did not swap out all of the coolant; I just added to it. My thought was some day I would come back in and do a full drain and flush but I have never flushed the engine block so it's half extended life coolant/half regular.
    yeah but the BMW coolant is only $4 a gallon more than the Prestone.

• fancyffancyf Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2001 X5 and the dealer had to jump the battery to start the car. The navigation monitor hasn't come on yet and the radio, while it does turn on, turns off after about 10 minutes. It turns immediately back on but I'm wondering why this happens.

Is it because the battery was dead and needs to charge back up? I also noticed that I can't open the back doors using the remote entry or the button on the center console. Also battery related?
  • Say, did your self-leveling suspension ever get fixed? My 2006 X5 is back in the shop after less than 500 miles...will not stay? Local BMW service is dumbfounded, cannot get it right...replaced mats, computer, etc. ANY IDEAS???