Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon AC and Heat Questions

12346»

Comments

• ditto2thatditto2that Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 Suburban Heater started running at full speed, even when the Truck was turned off. I read several posts about replacing the thermister, which I did, but now nothing happens. The heater and AC wont run at all! The thermister was after-market and required cutting off the original 3 wire connector and splicing the new Thermister in and the auto parts store did show me a picture of the original part plus the after-market one so I think it was the correct part, but all I can come up with is that it was defective. Any ideas?
  • craigratcraigrat Member Posts: 1
    In case you haven't figured it out already. Your problem is probably with the A/C blend door actuator. Whichever side you are unable to change the temperature of is the side you need to replace. It's tight getting to it, but it's a pretty easy fix.

You can google 2003 yukon xl blend door actuator and find sites that show pics and videos of how to repair this. The part is under $100.
  • bosn1bosn1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Yukon Denali XL, today my AC stopped blowing air in the front however the rear ac stills blows like new. Have no ideal what's going on but need to fix it before I deploy in two weeks. Pulled both fuses and still same issue
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Bosn1,
    First – THANK YOU for your service to our country. My brother is working through the ROTC program. May you be kept safe on your upcoming deployment!
    In regards to your HVAC concern, if Customer Assistance can help you work with your dealer towards resolving this, please email Christina with your name, contact information, VIN, and dealer name.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • tinkeringtinkering Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 Yukon will not blow any heat out of the rear vent on the ceiling (passenger side vent). The fan speed dial operates the blower speed correctly. The temperature dial does nothing. I can turn it to full hot and still get cool air blowing out the back vent. I took it to a GMC mechanic and he said, it was the module and actuator in the back on the vehicle near the back door. First, does that sound correct? Second, I can't find any information (not even Haynes manual) on how to replace the actuator. How do I replace it and program it?
  • bowzmanbowzman Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2011
    My 2003 GMC yukon isn't blowing heat or ac in the rear of the vehicle. The rear blower works fine and the front heat and ac work great but nothing in the rear. Is this a relay problem or an actuator problem? Thanks
  • gonzaligonzali Member Posts: 3
    Our 2003 Yukon had the exact same problem. We had a friend who knows everything about cars check it out. He told us we would need a new HVAC controller, which was located on the back rt. passenger side of our Yukon. In the back remove the entire plastic panel on passenger side, there will be a relay plug switch where the wiring plugs in to the HVAC controller. I recommend you disconnect the wires and reconnect them making sure they are securely connected. We went without heat all winter and were too cheap to but the HVAC controller ($135) but needed to reconnect the A/C in the back when the summer months came around. Guess what when we hooked it back up the heat worked perfectly, as well. So before you do anything else I would do that. Also, my husband and I have no mechanical experience other than holding the flashlights for our dads when they worked on cars so it has to be pretty basic for us to fix.
  • gonzaligonzali Member Posts: 3
    Our 2003 Yukon had the exact same problem. We had a friend who knows everything about cars check it out. He told us we would need a new HVAC controller, which was located on the back rt. passenger side of our Yukon. In the back remove the entire plastic panel on passenger side, there will be a relay plug switch where the wiring plugs in to the HVAC controller. I recommend you disconnect the wires and reconnect them making sure they are securely connected. We went without heat all winter and were too cheap to but the HVAC controller ($135) but needed to reconnect the A/C in the back when the summer months came around. Guess what when we hooked it back up the heat worked perfectly, as well. So before you do anything else I would do that. Also, my husband and I have no mechanical experience other than holding the flashlights for our dads when they worked on cars so it has to be pretty basic for us to fix. Hope this fix works for you!
  • rcmc1007rcmc1007 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Tahoe and I am having an issue with the rear heat. My blower motor would work intermittently and then stopped all together. I have checked all the fuses, ran voltage to the blower and that works great,and also replaced the blower motor resistor twice. The resisitor clicks and I get 12 volts going to the blolwer motor but it still does not work. Any suggestions?
  • bsmall22bsmall22 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever receive a solution to your a/c problem? I am having the same issue.
  • artaqqartaqq Member Posts: 6
    Yes. I disconnected the battery and reconnected it. I saw a post on here that recommended that and it was never a problem again. Hope that helps!
  • frustrayedfrustrayed Member Posts: 4
    a friend and i tore appart the dash only to find a actuator under the dash on the passenger side broken. dealer said $250.00 for a new one my friend found one on the internet for $50.00. been working great!
  • aj_riggaj_rigg Member Posts: 1
    Over the past week, I've noticed a significant decline in the air conditioner temperature in the front of my Yukon (i.e., air coming out of the dashboard) and it's barely above cool now (it used to blow really cold) but the unit in the rear (i.e., middle and rear rows) still blows pretty cold. I checked the refrigerant pressure and it doesn't need to be recharged.

Any ideas?
  • libby14libby14 Member Posts: 1
    I replaced the switch and you can get to it under the dash just above the gas pedal.It did not stop the driver side from blowing hot air.IT starts blowing cool air then switches to heat quickly.Turning it on and off it does the same thing.

Could it be a resistor?
  • doneildoneil Member Posts: 11
    I have the exact same problem with my '04 Yukon Denali. I can set the dual temperature controls on the left to 60 and the right to 75, and I will get heat from the left vents and cool air from the right. It does start out blowing cold air for about 5 seconds, bit it quickly switches to hot. Have you been able to figure it out yet?
  • lsadlerlsadler Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Yukon XL 5.3 liter. When we start it the a/c is on. We can turn it off by pressing the on/off button. The a/c works. I took it to the shop and they could find nothing wrong. Any suggestions?
  • gmhellboygmhellboy Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 GMC Yukon SLT that will not move the air flow to the various vent settings either manually or through the AUTO function. I have had the HVAC head unit replaced 3 years ago due to a soda can explosion that took it out, and an actuator on the passenger side replaced because the fan would not shut off....even with the car off and the keys in my hand. As I type the air flow only comes through the defroster vents on the top of the dash. The rear HVAC is functioning perfectly.

Please help. :mad:
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good afternoon gmhellboy,
    We understand that you're looking to probably get some do-it-yourself advice here on the forum and respect that! However, if you should decide to get this checked into by a dealership, please let us know more details about your appointment and such if you would like for us to check into this further. We can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 of your VIN, and the name of your dealership).
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
    I am not here for do it yourself work. I just want to be informed when I head to the dealer so I do not get over charged or receive unnecessary work. I am frustrated by this as I have replaced two major HVAC components and continue to have these gremlins in the system. I treat my vehicle well and garage it as well as routine maintenance.

thanks for you input/assistance.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    My apologies for misunderstanding your post, gmhellboy! I myself am unable to provide much input, unfortunately. I checked to see if there were any filters that might need to be changed for the cabin of your Yukon but did not see any that were specific to the HVAC system in the manaul. Keep us posted, and I hope you get some great insight from members of the community as well.

I appreciate your earnest to help. I apologize if my previous post was curt. The system now lets me choose between the defroster vents and the floor vents. If I or the auto climate control choose the front/face vents it defaults back to the defroster vents.
  • phochephoche Member Posts: 5
    Something that has long been a problem with my 2000 Yukon XL is outside air blows in on the front passenger side. In winter, it makes your leg numb after a while. I've tried stuffing pillows and blankets in there but the cold comes through anyway. Any ideas what might be wrong? I mean really, I'm all for some fresh air but this is awful.

I've tried every button combo on the climate control, no change... except today. The fool thing stuck on High heat. We had to drive with the windows open to stay cool and it was only 25 outside. I've fixed that with the "disconnect the battery" method referenced earlier. Now it's back to a cold leg for a full day of travel again tomorrow. Any ideas or pointers technical data to allow me to fix this economically?
    After trying all that was recommended and then getting an estimate from a shop I thought I could trust, I finally bit the bullet and took the truck to the dealer. At around $600, his cost was still about $200 less than my former mechanics estimate. It ended up being the vent actuator previously discussed. The dealer retail for the part was about $250, although I could have bought an identical part on the web for about $50. The rest was labor to R&R the console and bottom portion of the dash. I'm certain I could have done this myself a lot cheaper, but my time has a monetary value as well. The best justification I can give for paying this amount is that they fixed it right the first time, and now I'm hoping never to have to deal with it again.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    We're glad to hear that everything has been resolved, doneil. Keep us updated if anything should come up as we're happy to follow up with your dealership for you.

• edgard007edgard007 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2005 gmc yukon and my a/c will not work on the front only when i am diving. the rear system works fine. what could it be the problem?
  • raymondbmraymondbm Member Posts: 2
    Wow I am instered in your reprogram the climate control system I have a 2007 Saturn Outlook RE I would like to know how you reprogram climate control system. I know that the two vehicles are similar it has a fuse box inside the car that has HVAC fuse and it has a fuse box underhood that has a HVAC fuse and a RRHVAC fuse in it. It would be great if you can help me. Thank you very much :confuse:
  • yukonguy1yukonguy1 Member Posts: 2
    I just recently acquired a 95 2 door Yukon and everything works great except the AC. It comes on, the compressor kicks on, it blows nice and cold however, when I give it gas, it blows heat. When I'm at cruising speed on the freeway, it's great. In town when i have to stop at lights and stop signs, when I give it gas, it blows heat. Is this a somewhat easy fix ? Anyone who has any info on this, it would be greatly appreciated. I live in Vegas and its already hitting 110 degrees. Thanks everyone !
  • casey50casey50 Member Posts: 1
    Did you find an answer to this problem? I have the same issue.

Thanks
  • raymondbmraymondbm Member Posts: 2
    No, I am going to the dealer to see how much it going to cost me.

What do you think about a car that is only a 2007 and only having 46,000 miles having this problem?
  • yukonguy1yukonguy1 Member Posts: 2
    Still having the problem. Can't afford to fix it right now
  • sleepieacesleepieace Member Posts: 1
    Would be very interested to hear what the dealer said. I have a 2004 with the same issue.
  • rkg1rkg1 Member Posts: 13
    PLEASE HELP:
    Problem: My 2002 Yukon XL wouldn't start (no cranking, nothing....). Dealer 1st said it was the alternator (1 yr old), then they said it was the battery (1 1/2 yrs old). They changed the battery.

New Problems: Ever since they put in a new battery, I've had a series of different new problems.
    For example:
    1) The "ABS & Parking brake lights" display come on & off intermittently on my dash
    2) Front and rear wipers no longer work
    3) At first the A/C would not blow out of the front dash vents... then the next day they did work. Now a few days later... the left driver side blows cold out of the top & floor vents and the passenger (right) side blows HEAT out of the top & floor vents.

The Dealer has said these are unrelated events. I don't agree.

ANY advice as to what they might have done or how I can fix it??? I have a feeling it's just something they might have accidentally done or a fuse or something that can easily be fixed.... (I'm hoping : )

ALL advice welcome. I want to bring it back ASAP.

thanks!!!!!
  • rkg1rkg1 Member Posts: 13
    PLEASE HELP:
    Problem: My 2002 Yukon XL wouldn't start (no cranking, nothing....). Dealer 1st said it was the alternator (1 yr old), then they said it was the battery (1 1/2 yrs old). They changed the battery.

New Problems: Ever since they put in a new battery, I've had a series of different new problems.
    For example:
    1) The "ABS & Parking brake lights" display come on & off intermittently on my dash
    2) Front and rear wipers no longer work
    3) At first the A/C would not blow out of the front dash vents... then the next day they did work. Now a few days later... the left driver side blows cold out of the top & floor vents and the passenger (right) side blows HEAT out of the top & floor vents.

The Dealer has said these are unrelated events. I don't agree.

ANY advice as to what they might have done or how I can fix it??? I have a feeling it's just something they might have accidentally done or a fuse or something that can easily be fixed.... (I'm hoping : )

ALL advice welcome. I want to bring it back ASAP, but everyday problems seem to come and go randomly.

thanks!!!!!
  • rohlederrohleder Member Posts: 1
    my front ac works fine, its the rear climate control that does not work the fan doesnt blow cold or hot air im assuming its a fuse but i am unsure of which one to get any help would be greatly appreciated
  • ninjarininjari Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Yukon XL. The front passanger side blows cold air in the winter but the rest of the vehicle gets heat.
  • ninjarininjari Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem. Did you have a fix.
  • chrisj1954chrisj1954 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2013
    I have a 2003 Yukon SLT I bought used. It has 155K miles. It will not put out heat to the back seating areas. I spent a half hour in the Yukon with the owner's manual trying to see if I could figure it out on my own.

The fan and blowers work great, I've got all the controls set according to what the owners manual says, but no hot air, even with the heat turned all the way up. It's like the controls for the rear and far rear are set on permanent A/C. The dealer we bought it from says it might be a solenoid, but I am hoping to not take it to a repair shop if I can help it. Does anybody have any ideas? I LOVE my Yukon except for this.

Thanks for any help
    Read this thread from the GMC/Tahoe/Yukon Forum. I'd be willing to bet it's the Vent Door Actuator that is failing. Replacement part is less than $50 on eBay or $250 from the dealer, plus labor.

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17741

Good luck...
  • cari_michellecari_michelle Member Posts: 1
    ok so i the heater blows cold air.. we have fixed the leak in the radiator and changed the thermastat and the lines r getting hot that r goin to and from the heater core.. a/c works great but cant get the heat to work.. the rear heater is not workin either.. but we had to pull the fuse on the rear cause it would run when the car was off..
  • newbie46077newbie46077 Member Posts: 1
    Guys,

I really don't know how to describe this but I will do my best. In the winter months I have to park my Tahoe outside in the cold. When I start the Tahoe I get a screeching sound that is unbelievably loud for the entire length of time that the door chimes would be on. If the radio is on it will just continue screeching. Once the Tahoe warms up or on days that it is not cold, the Tahoe just does the normal chime.

Does anyone know how to fix this or what it might be? It will scare the crap out of you and it is very annoying. I have had the dealership look at it but by the time I drive it to the dealership the Tahoe has warmed up and it won't do it any longer.

Almost like a sensor is stuck (due to being cold) and then starts working. Any help would be appreciated.
  • rronke87rronke87 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 gmc Yukon denali with the 6.2 liter engine. When I have the heat on there's steam and antifreeze coming out of the vents. The windows fog all up and can't wipe it clean to see because of the antifreeze on the windshield. Dealership did a compression test on heating system and said theres a small pinhole leak in heater core. Still have heat though in front and back. Anyone else have this problem? Not overheating. If the antifreeze is just a little low when you add more the windows clear up. Love some input please.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    @rronke87‌

Sure sounds like you need a new heater core.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    So why don't you believe the dealer's diagnosis? Sounds right to me, too.
  • heimanm177heimanm177 Member Posts: 1
    Need some Help>>>

I'm having an issue with my 2007 GMC Yukon Denali XL. The air/Heat will not blow out of the vents in the front, but works fine in the rear of the vehicle. I do feel a slight bit of air coming out the front vents and when adjusting from hot to cold it does seem to work fine changing temperatures... It just will not blow out as normal as I try to increase the air flow setting. Also it seems that when I accelerate the vehicle, I get a little more air flow. The rear vents of the vehicle works as normal. Auto mechanic seems to think i might have a broken hose due to loss of Freon. Any ideas or similar issues? Thanks
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The "broken hose" theory of freon loss sounds way off the mark to me. This appears to be a blend door actuator problem, and since many types of actuators are vacuum assisted, your comment about the symptoms changing when you accelerate (thereby lowering engine vacuum) suggests that it is an actuator issue.
  • N2ThingsN2Things Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Tahoe XL. Blowers work fine, actuators work when switching different settings. No heat or AC though. I have tried the reprogramming method, disconnected the battery, pulled the fuses (Several times). What else can I check?