Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Rodeo Maintenance and Repair

124»

Comments

• lilredcasslilredcass Member Posts: 1
    I've been searching for months for a mechanic in the South Bay area familiar with Isuzu Rodeo (97) to help get one running again that's been sitting in storage for 2 years.

If this forum is still active and anyone has a lead for me I would sure appreciate it! Closer to Torrance the better. Thanks!
  • jjmcdadejjmcdade Member Posts: 5
    I have a 95 Isuzu Rodeo 3.2L (6 cyl). I was hoping that someone could give me some insight into A/C problems before I took it to a shop. Here's some details.

When it was working:
    I had a small Freon leak. Compared with other cars, I would rate the cold about 50%. There has always been a high pitch noise coming from the A/C every time I used it. I could never hear it from inside the truck with the windows up. The noise remained as long as the AC was on. It's been the same for about 2 years, when I discovered the A/C just needed Freon to work.

Stop working:
    Started making a loud, mid-high pitch noise and stop working. The blue A/C light inside the truck turns on and the fan works (if it matters).

Note:
    The last time Freon was added, it was overfilled. I mention this if pressure could be a cause. This was about 8 months ago.

Any insight would be appreciated, so I can seem somewhat knowledgeable when I take it to a shop. If it's the compressor, how hard is it to replace and what would be a estimated cost (low and high)?

Thanks for the help in advance.
  • darth_venomdarth_venom Member Posts: 43
    Sounds to me like your compressor clutch is gone. There's a bearing inside it that is notorious for making high pitched squeaky sounding noises. When it first starts a little WD40 will quiet it but it's only a matter of time.

Another reason I believe it is the clutch is in your post it says your only about 50% cold despite adding freon? Do I have that correct? In any case the whistling squeaky sound your hearing is your compressor's clutch slipping not allowing your compressor to work properly. When this happens you'll hear the compressor cycle off and on every 15 seconds or so before going out completely.

Check online for a replacement clutch for I doubt you will find one at your local parts store. Your other option is to change out the entire compressor. To change the compressor you will first have to take it to an A/C shop to have the system depressurized and drained then it's just a matter of unbolting it and bolting on a new one. Although, while you have the system depressurized it's a good idea to replace all of the O Rings and seals.

My 92 did this 3 years ago. I live in Florida so the A/C is a necessity in the summer. After my replacing the compressor with one I got from a salvage yard, and putting new O Rings and seals in it will still freeze you out on low now 3 years later.

Good luck with it & I hope this helps.
  • denvernativedenvernative Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 Rodeo with 3.2 L gas engine the variable valve timing control valve is leaking oil, it needs to be replaced, no one has the part. I've been told the manufacturer of the part went out of business. I've called several auto part places and searched online and junk yards for part to no avail, any suggestions?
    I'm in Florida as well. I've had a couple of people suggest the bearings, so you're probably correct. Thanks for the information, it was helpful. I will keep in mind the O Rings when I get it fixed. Thanks again.
    I've had some luck with craigslist for my 95. Like I said, luck. You may have some to.

Oh, and good luck.
  • socalstevesocalsteve Member Posts: 34
    The closest authorized Isuzu service is probably in Santa Ana:
    TOM'S ISUZU
    909 N. GRAND AVENUE
    SANTA ANA, CA 92702
    (714) 835-1978
    I took my Axiom there a couple times, and they seemed pretty fair. But Rodeos are pretty common, so if you find a local mechanic who deals with imports (particularly Hondas), they'll probably be able to fix you up. Good luck!
  • jcandasjcandas Member Posts: 2
    Help!
    We cannot get our 1998 Isuzu Rodeo to pass smog. We just had the heads done, changed the o2 sensors, and it is now testing worse than before we had the o2 sensors replaced.

Our mechanic said that he thinks it might be the catalytic converters (x2) that run about $1400 apiece. Since we cannot use substitute converters in CA, we think this is the stopping point for repairing the vehicle and passing smog.

Any suggestions on where we might be able to get a reliable second opinion or service option near 94044 (Pacifica, CA)?

This is our workhorse vehicle for hauling stuff and fishing and would hate to scrap it.

Thanks for any help.
  • jcandasjcandas Member Posts: 2
    Anyone out there?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We'll move this over to Maintenance and Repair and hope that some owners subscribe to this discussion. New discussions tend to get overlooked.
  • ltwhatshisnameltwhatshisname Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 Isuzu Rodeo with the inline 4 cylinder. The owner claims that its an inline 6. I see, based on my research that this truck did not come with an inline 6. Please correct me if I am wrong so I remain on the right path.

When the engine is running, we are getting white steam coming from the tailpipe. It does not smell like white smoke (a result of a damaged head gasket) Also I see no evidence of any water in the oil or oil in the water. So I am assuming that it could be a water leak, broken gasket.... but not effecting the cooling or oil system.

Question? What would cause steam to come from the tailpipe? Is there a hose disconnected? Possibly a faulty valve?

Can anyone help? Thank you
  • mcdademcdade Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 ISUZU RODEO 3.2L V6. About a week ago, it begun sounding more like a diesel engine with a whining noise coming from the engine. Both while parked and driving. The truck runs fine, it's just the noise. I don't believe the noise gets any louder while driving than sitting idle. Any advice would be helpful, thanks.
  • ghdghd Member Posts: 1
    Is it possible to tighten or just replace the tensioner without doing anything else? Its a high mileage truck and I'm not spending more money on another timing belt...this one isn't that old and I'm getting that knock slap noise from inside timing cover...I pulled top case off and belt seems loose. I am wondering if its possible to not have to take any pulleys off or much of anything else if belt can stay on thru this. I am again just wondering and want to do as little as possible to possibly fix the noise. I don't want to spend another $800.00..
  • allan_and_jenallan_and_jen Member Posts: 1
    Hi Guys, We have just purchased a 2005 space cab, ra turbo diesel ute. I want to give my hubby the service manual. I have enquired in all auto stores in my are and they have told me that none are available. Does anyone know where or if I can purchase a manual for it. So far all site I have tried have been spam sites that want your details but then you cant get the manual. One site said they are unavailable. HELP
  • amytre1amytre1 Member Posts: 1
    I replaced the water pump on my 2.2 rodeo. Before i replaced the water pump the engine started and ran but since the swap only thing that happens is an engine that spins and does not fire and backfires once in a while. I think i have fudged the timing a little but unsure the correct way to get it back right
  • bmacbainbmacbain Member Posts: 1
    There is a sensor above the alternator on my 2004 Rodeo. It's leaking and I have been unable to identify it to replace it. Can you please tell me what this sensor is?
  • hammerhalhammerhal Member Posts: 1
    I need your help please. I have a 2000 Isuzu Rodeo LS (3.2 litre V6) and need a relay for the rear wiper. The Denso part # is 8-97220735-0. I called Denso..no luck and there are no longer Saturn-Saab-Isuzu dealerships around. None of the GM dealerships could help me either. I tried about 10 auto recyclers-no luck. I found one part in Washington State but it is almost $300. Any other options here in Canada? I live in Hamilton, Ontario.

Thanks, Hal
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    RockAuto.com has parts for your Rodeo, but I'm not seeing that part number. Lots of relays there; maybe a universal one would work?

Anyone?