Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sedona Gas Mileage

124»

Comments

• hjc1hjc1 Member Posts: 183
    I have a Hyundai Entourage Limited (same as Sedona). I spent 3 days in Vegas during the heat wave (100+°) and never got less then 20mpg and never smelled gas. I completed a 5400 mile trip from Wisconsin to Calif. and back averaged 23.9 mpg using milage divided by gas purchased. I'm very happy with the results considering the weight and lack of aerodynamics of this vehicle
  • fishbreathfishbreath Member Posts: 58
    I have gotten 22.9 mpg highway but last weekend I pull my1000lb open trailer with only one motorcycle for a total weight of 1700lbs in it I was down to 13.9 highway. During the summer I had two bikes in it I had 15 mpg, with the two bikes and trailer I'm at 2400lbs.
    I know your not suppose to pull in overdrive, but some times you just have to, to get somekind of mileage out of it. I'm just glad the van has a 5 speed and not just a 4 speed.
  • dratmandratman Member Posts: 2
    My 2009 Rio 5 gets lousy mileage too. My previous car, 1990 Civic got around 33 mpg driving to work. Got only 22 mpg on my last tank (25/35 rating) with the Rio. Why doesn't our government enforce the gas mileage?
  • hersbirdhersbird Member Posts: 323
    Just an update, now our 2007 Sedona van has over 50,000 miles on it and still is getting over 20 mpg highway. Even with the bad for mpg oxigenated feul we have an studded winter tires we got 22 mpg on a trip across the state at an average of 75 mph. There are 2 mountain passes in that average as well. No problems except an air bag light that needed something under warrenty, and a leaking oil filter after the GM dealer doubled up the o rings on the filter. It is making some power steering noise I think (could also be alternator), will try changing that fluid come spring with an additive and hope it goes away! Overall we are very satisfied with this van but seening as how they stopped making them, next van will be one of those new high power 2011 Caravans after they hit the used car market, cause I don't buy new!
  • guy125guy125 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 and the mileage was very bad till someone told me to use thiner oil 5-30 in winter and only 10-30 summer my mileage has gone up to 20 around town and 26 on a trip :blush:
  • georgeworldgeorgeworld Member Posts: 1
    I purchase my 2008 KIA Sedona new in 2008. It used to get between 16.5 to 18 mpg in the city and about 22 mpg on the highway. A year ago ( 2012 ) it all of the sudden dropped to 11 to 12.5 mpg in the city.

The dealers are clueless idiots, and KIA Motor Company is worst that the KIA Dealer, totally rude and incompetent KIA Motor reps, have offered NO help and tell me that this is within the normal range of mpg. That is pure BS.
  • dogwaggindogwaggin Member Posts: 8
    At least you got a few good years. I purchased my '08 new and it started at 10 mpg... they were HORRIBLE to me!!! Said it was clearly my driving skills! That's funny because I had traded a Yukon XL that I could get 15 out of in the city and 18-19 Hwy - pretty damned good for that vehicle!! Last year I was able to get rid of that piece of crap and now I'm the proud owner of a Toyota Sienna - and I LOVE IT!! Got the most basic model I could to keep the price down....because of course, Kia's have THE WORST trace in value of any car on the market - ZERO!! Take the plunge if you can and get rid of it!!