Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord I4 vs V6

Comments

• packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    Same for me with the flickering, jsut only the first time you switch it on. It's not the first time I've seen this, you could notice the amp drop on most any car when you put the AC on, headlights or just turn your dome light on with out your headlights in a dark area and set the AC you will see the flick.
  • freak007freak007 Member Posts: 3
    Hi all, I was going through the dilemma of going for the 4 or the 6, and opted for the 4 (EX-L) because of the soaring gas prices and every-day driving habits (i.e. mostly city driving to/from work). I have to say that I do regret getting the 4. I just can't get used to the whining sound of the engine, and really miss the feel and sound of a 6 (of which I've always owned in the past). Oddly enough, it was the salesman that convinced me to go with the 4 - saying that from a resale perspective, the 4's sell for the same price if not more than the 6 (basically because of demand). I actually looked into it, and found it to be true.

Bottom line, my recommendation is if anyone is going through the same dilemma, and can afford the 6, go for it! The 190HP is OK when you're already on the move, but a real dissapointment from the a stopped position. Yes, you can get it going pretty quick, but at the expense of sounding like you're blowing up the engine.
  • dolfan1dolfan1 Member Posts: 218
    I think it's good to remember the "bar" keeps getting higher & higher with each new generation of vehicles. Along with that comes the inevitable rise in expectations.
    My '97 Maxima V6 had 190hp (only available engine), and I thought it was a pretty fast car, as did most everyone else a decade ago. Yet today, many consider a 190hp sedan as too slow (or at least not as powerful as they think it should be).

Be that as it may, I suppose a good test drive is all the more crucial to determine whether one's expectations are going to be satisfied.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Remember that the 190hp Maxima had over 200 lb-ft of torque. Important for off-the-line response.
  • catmikecatmike Member Posts: 35

I just can't get used to the whining sound of the engine, and really miss the feel and sound of a 6 (of which I've always owned in the past).

Bottom line, my recommendation is if anyone is going through the same dilemma, and can afford the 6, go for it! The 190HP is OK when you're already on the move, but a real dissapointment from the a stopped position. Yes, you can get it going pretty quick, but at the expense of sounding like you're blowing up the engine

Okay, can I disagree. Webster on whinning: " to utter a high-pitched plaintive or distressed cry". Two months ago I traded in a powerful, smooth V8 for an '08 EX-L I4 (did i say that right). The older engine was "factory tuned" to rumble during acceleration. Not until I discovered these pages of discourse did I learn that my Honda "whinned" and gave evidence of "blowing up". In fact, I've spent considerable time recently winding out my I 4 just to listen. Is it whinning? My take is that the noise is a natural, if not a beautiful, by product of a well made engine doing it's job. Must be like beer - everyone has a particular taste for one brand or another. Yes, my engine does create a bit more noise than my old ride. To it's credit the I4 does it's job well.

Last Friday night, I paid $3.56 cash for a gallon of regular here in Jupiter, FL (it was $ 3.62 if you used a credit card). The extra expense for fuel today pushes for a trade off between economy & power. An octave or two extra seems a small price to pay for the benefits. I love that noise - it's a thrill to hear the engine give 190 hp through it's grears. I hardly notice any noise. The car is a marvel - superb. :)
  • carzzzcarzzz Member Posts: 282
    the whining noise is common, yet it is not a problem, in accords. Many owners V6/I4 (including mine Gen7 V6) have the whining noise.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    I can imagine that someone used to a very quiet V6 engine would think a 4 cylinder was "winning". You have to push the accelerator down farther, and the engine makes more noise, so it naturally sounds like the engine is working much harder. Not really, because the 4 cylinder engine is designed to run that way (at higher rpm). I think if you drive the 4 cylinder long enough, you will get used to the sounds. You may even get to the point where you like them. ;)

I have a V6, but I think I could get used to a 4 cylinder again,.......... after about a year or so. :surprise:
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    Another thing to keep in mind....the I4 gets roughly the same MPG as the V6.

I bought the I4 for higher MPGs but the best I'm seeing is 24MPG highway.

If I knew this would have bought the V6 with foglights & nicer front chin...for an extra $1500-2K.
    I bought the I4 for higher MPGs but the best I'm seeing is 24MPG highway.

Interesting... I just read a report from an 08 4-cyl owner who got close to (if not over) 40 MPG highway. What speeds are typical for you on the highway, if I may ask? Is it pretty open, or is it trafficky?
    Ask the owner who is getting 40MPG if the engine is turned on when he is rolling down the hill to work.

Seriously, I took a 200 mile trip (total 100 mi each way) highway cruising, AC locked out, 60F outdoor temp, and no faster than 68mph = 24mpg.

That was my best tank. I normally see 20-22mpg commuting 50 mile roundtrip highway only with a little stop & go.

The MPGs are exactly what I was getting in my 4500 lb '00 Odyssey w/160k that I traded for the '08 Accord.

My wife makes fun of me because I purposely bought a 4-cyl sedan for gas economy. Jokes on me!
    Something is definitely awry here. My 07 SE V6 gets better than that cruising 77 - 80 mph. Sounds like you might need a trip to the dealer & have a talk with the Service Dept.
    Seriously, I took a 200 mile trip (total 100 mi each way) highway cruising, AC locked out, 60F outdoor temp, and no faster than 68mph = 24mpg.

Seriously, you must have a problem. :sick: I got 24mpg on my last tank, around town, with an 03 V6. There is something wrong with this picture. :surprise:
    Check out this link link title

100 posts regarding '08 poor gas mileage.
  • packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    This is why people go to the dealer and test drive cars, I said it once in one of my messages, when you test drive a car tell the sales man to shut up and do not turn the radio on when driving, turn the AC on and off whether if it's in the winter or summer to see if there is any real difference in the power that is drained from the engine, push the envelope drive the car hard hit the passing gears as much as possible, drive on a high way to hear for wind noises and passing gear responses and then head for a bumpy road with alot of stop signs, test both engines, when you leave the dealer go back to another dealer in a few days and start all over again you second ride will answer some of your new thoughts.
    Hey I went from a V6 200hp 05 Malibu to the 177 hp Accord LXP.
    However I love the hard 4cyl sound of less gas being used in the city big time from 15MPG in the 05 Malibu to 20MPG for the 08 Accord and it only has 300 miles on it so far.
    Just a note: The torque is pretty good there is only one pound of foot pressure differntial between the 177hp vs the 190hp and I drove them both a small difference, I guess it depends on what your driving needs are.
    Wow, that is very interesting.
    The city mileage on my 07 V6 isn't anything to brag about (nor did I expect it to be any better than it is), but I have been pleased with the hwy mileage.
  • malmouzamalmouza Member Posts: 141
    No offense guys, I just don't understand why people buy the V6 engine? we are talking about a sedan not a truck. The new Accord weight between 4000 and 4500 lb. the V4 is good match for this car. I own the I4 with 190 horses, manual trans. I can kick from 0 to 60 in 7.4 seconds. I do not need more than that. If I needed the speed I will go for BMW M3, or cheap WRX, or mazda speed3. But I wanted a sedan with good gas mileage, smooth ride, and enough space to carry 4 adults with luggages. I use to own the 1998 accord with only 150 horses, and when I race some of the V6, they struggle to pass me, in the first 1/8 of mile. I managed couple time to get between 28 and 34 MPG on my 08 accord in mixed driving. But the truth, I am not putting too much load on the engine right now, until the break in period is over. You'll need the V6 if you're going to tow trailer behind your car, if that the case, you made the wrong choice, it would have been better if you bought ridgeline truck it comes already equipped with the towing package. The V6 does not make any sense to have it in a sedan. This is one of the reason Honda failed delivering a cheap hybrid vehicle that deliver good gas mileage for the accord, and discontinued it. If they did use the 4 cylinder engine coupled with the electric motor, they would have been selling that car like hot cake, but they were thinking about competing against the Civic hybrid. They lost market share to the Camry hybrid, and the Altima hybrid, both are selling well. My advice to people who are about to buy honda accord, is to think if they need the car for racing on the street, or just for getting from point A to point B, in style, and comfort?? I hope this help understand some of the issues, and concerns I heard in this forum. No offense to anybody. lol
  • whampa65whampa65 Member Posts: 36
    Just to respond to what you said about buying the V6 as I'm one of those people, I personally bought the V6 because after test driving both the I4 and the V6 I personally liked the smoothness of the V6. I thought the I4 was much louder. I think it's all up to what's most important to you as a consumer. I sure didn't buy the Accord because I thought it was a sports car and wanted to race people up and down the street. I personally am very pleased to be getting 28 mpg on the highway and plan to keep my V6 for many years. Happy driving!!!!!
  • bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    Interestingly, I own the I4 and disagree with you to a certain extent. You likely like the I4 because you mated it with a manual transmission. That is, indeed, a match made in heaven!!!! Like you, I had a 98 I4 with the manual (150hp) that really had a lot of get-up-and-go! Unfortunately, this new 08, with an automatic and no way to shift out of 5th gear without going into 3rd, kind of sucks! My I4 does not have enough HP and torque at highway RPMs to keep it from having to downshift on every little hill. I realize many people don't mind that, but I do! I just wish I could select 4th gear, slow down a bit, and let the thing cruise. The v6 likely has enough low-end umph to keep it from having to shift gears all the time and perhaps has enough power to maintain speed in 5th gear. Plus, as mentioned above, it is a smoother engine. I would only pick the I4 engine again if I could have it in a manual -- and in that event, for my style of driving, I do agree that it is a better choice than the V6.
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    Your right about the V6 not needing to downshift at hwy speeds. My recent trip to the White Mts of New Hampshire brought me back to a familiar stretch of hwy that I remember my previous V6 vehicle with 200 HP would always have to downshift to maintain my CC speed of 70 MPH. My 08 V6 made the ascent in 5th but VCM was not active as the torque required needed all 6 cyl to do the job.
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Torque.
  • chenguangchenguang Member Posts: 5
    I will buy the car next weekend :mad: , but now I am still confusing about one big problem, 3.5EX or 2.4EXL? I love the powerful V6, but still be very interested with audio system, double climate control especially leather seat on EX-L 2.4! I can only afford to this trim level, so which one I should choose :lemon: ? Thank you! :shades:
  • jebinc1jebinc1 Member Posts: 198
    I went with the EX-L V6 w/navi for the same reasons why you're considering the EX-L I4. Given your constraints, I'd recommend the 2.4l EX-L.
    Two things:

The 4-cylinder's in today's mainstream market (except for Subaru's "boxer" engine) are inline 4, not V4. Not trying to chastise you, just sharing so that a dealer won't try and take advantage of you thinking you don't know your stuff. :) Now you do!

Also, the new Accords do not weigh 4,000 - 4500 pounds. Closer to 3,300. A 1998 Accord 4-cyl would weigh around 3,000 lbs.

4500 pounds is more like an Odyssey minivan.

I do not need more than that. If I needed the speed I will go for BMW M3, or cheap WRX, or mazda speed3. But I wanted a sedan with good gas mileage, smooth ride, and enough space to carry 4 adults with luggages.

If you're like blufz, you want one car for everything - comfort, power, plenty of room. He got the V6 because he tows a light boat, and a truck that gets 15 MPG wouldn't be logical. He enjoys the extra torque, and uses it quite fully I'm sure. Remember, people have different needs, and different ideas of what is "adequate." If I did a lot of loaded-down highway driving I might prefer the V6 as well, and it has nothing at all to do with racing.

You should check out the Honda Accrd I4 vs V6 forum, you might like it. Back to MPG figures folks? ;)
    Do you do a lot of high-speed passing and interstate driving?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You should check out the Honda Accrd I4 vs V6 forum, you might like it. Back to MPG figures folks?

The posts are in the right discussion now. :)
    I like the feeling when quick-passing the other cars as well as the fast take-off like the Jet. Maybe most of time I will drive on interstate (80%) and city should be 20%. The 3.5 EX maintains the same price as the 2.4 EX-L, so it is really hard to make a choice for my condition! I plan to do a test drive before taking delivery, just want to confirm if I can accept the difference between the 0-60 acceleration on 3.5 and 2.4 and make sure I will not regret in the future that when driving 2.4 EXL, I still missing the feeling of 3.5 V6!
    If we're talking (80%) interstate vs 2 lane hwy driving, I don't see why the V6 would be a necessity (this is coming from a V6 owner). No, you're not going to blow by people at 90mph, but you wouldn't need to, correct? I'm sure the I4 can handle "normal" interstate driving conditions just fine. I'd be more concerned about the mileage discrepancy discussed earlier.
    If you try "taking off like a jet" in either engine, mileage will suffer considerably - these are 3300-3500 lb jets we're talking here - neither are going to get 27+ mpg if gunning it from every light and racing people to the next one.
    Say you are cruising in the right lane on the Interstate at 70mph. You see that there is a slower car ahead of you going about 60mph. There is a gap in the left lane, but the cars in the left lane are going about 80mph. The V6 has the highway passing power to hit the gap, and accelerate quickly, so the cars in the left lane don't have to slow down for you. With the I4, you would be better off slowing down to 60mph, and waiting for a larger gap in the left lane. I'm not the type of person who likes to drive 60mph on the interstate. Some people don't have a problem with it.

It's dog-eat-dog out there ;) , so you need something with a little BITE.
    Haha, keep in mind, for some of us, the I4 has more bite than the other considered alternatives, such as a CR-V. The 4-cyl Accord has a larger difference in acceleration with the CR-V than does the V6 Accord over the 4-cyl. For me, if there's a gap that 166hp can't get into, I don't need to be cutting people off like that. I drive fairly conservatively although I'm not afraid of running my engine close to redline when I need to - but, if I can wait for a few cars to pass by and then drop to fourth instead of third or second (at 60 MPH if I floor it), then I'll save the gas, and be 20 seconds later to the exit.

I take note though, often times, the cars I remember blowing past me at 80 MPH when I'm going 65 in a 60, often end up being the car just ahead of me in line at the traffic light at my exit. So much for gained ground! :)

All that said, for those with heavier passenger/cargo loads or doing lots of highway driving and know they like to be able to scoot into a tight spot, the V6 is for you!
    Gotta agree with the grad on this one. It's like Dirty Harry said = "A man's gotta know his limitations!"
    Know your vehicle, know it's abilities & limitations, and drive accordingly. No doubt there'll be times the I4 driver will have to be more patient than the 6 driver. But as grad pointed out, at the end of the day the difference will be very little or none at all.
    Gotta agree with the grad on this one. It's like Dirty Harry said = "A man's gotta know his limitations!"

Yes, but remember Dirty Harry had a 44 Magnum (V6), that would blow your head clean off. :surprise: Not the standard issue 9mm (I4). ;) Harry was also a man who liked his power.
    As for the mileage question, I was referring to the posts concerning poor mileage in some of the new I4 Accords. I certainly don't mean to try and start some controversy here, but it makes me wonder what is going on. Is it possible that something is wrong with some of the new I4's? Sort of reminiscent of the problem of the flaring transmissions in the Camry (experienced by numerous but certainly not the majority of owners).
    Elroy, you're a nut! But I love it!!!!!!!!!!
    First I do not know the exact weight of the car, but I gave an example of what might that vehicle weight. But the point I was making is that people with all the gas prices that are going up, still they love to have an extra power in hand. back in the 70s some of the V6 they were making only 150 hp and people were happy about it. Just the 2002 BMW 325 had 184 hp inline 6 cylinder, and still people were happy about it. Now day, you see the record in some cars with 500 hp in M5 series, some of dodge cars they are close to nascar cars. Can you tell me where you are going to use 500 hp?? most likely you'll lose you driver lisence and you will be taking bus. Responding to the question about the I4 with the automatic, I agree, the new software with grade logic sucks. I own 2007 odyssey and it keep shifting like creasy, no wonder the gas mileage sucks. And I can confirm with my 2008 I4 with manual transmission, I will not let any V6 to pass me easy, by the time his transmission start figuring out what he want to do from pressing the gas pedal , I already dwonshift, and build pressure in the engine, to get more torque in hand. One more thing I have been working on engine since I was 7 years old, I am now 43, I know everything about engines. Towing anything behind a car is ignorance at it best, you know cars are build based on unibody platform, not frame on chassis like truck. People they do tow staff behind cars, but I would not buy those cars, they twist the under carriage. No offense to anybody, as stated before by somebody it is matter of choice, if you bought the car and you're happy with it, that's all it matter. Take care.
    I will not let any V6 to pass me easy, by the time his transmission start figuring out what he want to do from pressing the gas pedal , I already dwonshift, and build pressure in the engine, to get more torque in hand.

I don't think you can push the clutch in, and shift your manual by hand, and let the clutch out, faster than my automatic will downshift by simply pushing down on the gas pedal.
    If my car is rated to tow 1,000 pounds, I don't think hauling a several-hundred pound bass boat is going to twist the undercarriage.

Also, I don't recall talking about a 500 horsepower car... and from what I heard, not many were "happy about" 150hp V8 engines.

I will not let any V6 to pass me easy, by the time his transmission start figuring out what he want to do from pressing the gas pedal

You still confuse me this way - you bought a four cylinder because more is too much, but you seem to be driving as if you had a complex about bigger engines. I love it when people in faster cars blow past me, because chances are, we'll be side by side again at the next traffic light, and I'll be filling up less than the other guy. And, a quick drop of the lever to D3 puts me ready to take off on the highway anytime I need to if I don't feel like waiting (hard to wait when it takes less time than I would to shift) on the transmission to drop 2 gears.
    He has a John Force complex. My 97 Accord 4 pulled my 700 lb boat 98k w/no problems. My 02 V6 at 88k is perfect and I don't even know the boat is back there at 60 mph.
    I put one comment about horsepower, and everybody made it personnal. That prove my point. We need the horsepower so the next guy won't pass me. I use to do that when I was in my early twenties, I am 43 now, if you want to pass me, I will let you do that, but you won't go any fearther, because with the traffic the way it is now, you don't have a chance to gain that much time. Anyway no offense as I said. lol
    " I will not let any V6 to pass me easy,"

This could be considered endangering lives, which I do take personal. Trying to prevent another car from passing, is a NO NO, in my book.
  • vietviet Member Posts: 847
    Even my V6 EX-L can achieve 40 MPG on freeway if I try keeping constant speed @ 60 MPH or less as much as possible. Trick is steady speed.
  • vietviet Member Posts: 847
    Ladies and gentlemen,

I have the feeling (may be I am wrong) Graduate has tried to justified all the ways he can for his I4 Accord. Facts are Accord V6 are extra silky smooth, lot of power, no sweat or no any sign of fatigue or overwork even after 700+ miles of non-stop driving. My I4 showed sign of tiredness after 300-mile non-stop drive. All my Accord at home now are V6 EX or EX-L from 2002 to 2008. I just sold a 13-year old 1995 I4 @ 254K miles, 2 engines. It had run smoothly to the last minute I sold it. That's the super beauty of Accord. Also, the difference of MPGs between I4 & V6 is about 10% or less.

One thing I have to honestly admit that I4's transmission is very good. However, V6's tranny is sometimes "funny". The 2008 V6's tranny is much more compact and refined nicely.
    I was trying to make a point, as I stated before, I passed that age of racing on the street. But responding to your concerns, If somebody is preventing me from passing, I just stay behind him, if he's going at speed of 80 mph and I am trying to raise that speed to 100 mph (exp), you're just japardizing your life and the lives of peoples with you. Drive safely, if you need to have some fun speeding go the race track, you can pay for session of couple laps on real race track. No offense, but the man's ego can kill people. have a safe drive.
    Ladies and gentlemen,

I have the feeling (may be I am wrong) Graduate has tried to justified all the ways he can for his I4 Accord. Facts are Accord V6 are extra silky smooth, lot of power, no sweat or no any sign of fatigue or overwork even after 700+ miles of non-stop driving. My I4 showed sign of tiredness after 300-mile non-stop drive.

I'm curious to know how you determine that an engine is "tired?" I've never heard that before.

I took my car (loaded with 600 lbs me included) on a 2000 mile round-trip last summer. Me and the other drivers averaged between 75-80 MPH, had no trouble passing at 85+, got over 35 MPG, and ran the A/C cold enough to make one person stay bundled up despite the Oklahoma/Arkansas/Tennessee/Mississippi/Alabama (it was a long trip!) sun beating down on us in May.

We gunned it to pass trucks up hills, winding it to the horsepower peak I'm sure. The engine just lets out a snarl when dropping to third, making little extra noise in 4th, and settles back to a quiet thrum when back in 5th. The transmission never had a problem, the temp gauge was rock solid at normal, brakes didn't fade, and I never once felt the car was overworked. It just "worked."

I know the V6 can be economical, but there is a cost factor that cannot be overlooked (yet tends to be lately), nearly 10% of the purchase price. That's a big decision maker for many people. If you've got the $, and want the bigger engine, go for it. Personally, I'd not need that much engine (I don't have a problem with my 166hp, so 190 should be plenty for passing!), so it is money better spent elsewhere, as far as I'm concerned.
    (thegraduate) made point here; if you have the money go for the V6, or even better, go for one of the best car in power and handling the BMW 335i, plus it's not very expensive either. Most middle class people, when they decide on buying a car first thing will come in their minds is fuel consumption, then the resell value, then the horse power, and accessories. As you all can see the power is the last on the list when it comes to shopping for a compact or midsize sedan. Most of the cars out there today have enough power to allow you to merge in traffic. But if you want to outgun the guy next to you in the highway, so you can feel good about your purchase, I think you need to reevaluate your priorities. Again, this is not a contest, and we are not here to justify or criticize people choices, but just give an idea about the V6 compare to I4. My opinion the I4 is more than enough power to do whatever you need to accomplish including racing. The I4 is quite at highway speed, the only time that you will hear noise from the engine is when you downshift, to build pressure in the engine for passing or merging, but that's common in any engine size. It has soft suspension, but firm in corners, precise steering, quick and stable lane change, fuel efficient (I am getting 31.5 MPG avg), wind noise is minimum, the exterior new design is not bad, but I do not like the front headlight, they should have used the same design as the Acura headlight. But this is just my opinion. For people that they are shopping for a new car, make sure that the resale value is accounted for during your shopping. There is too many V6, V8 cars and trucks in the used car market right now, nobody want them, even some dealer do not accept them as a trade. And is going to get worst with the weak dollar, the government spending on Iraq, and Afghanistan, the trade deficit, the hunger for fuel from some new developing countries, like china, India, Pakistan, Korea ,,,etc… So do your homework and your research before spending that hard earned money. Lol
    Torque.
    Well, I respect your choice, you need more torque, in this case you can get an F150 or Silverado for the same price you got your accord, but with more TORQUE, to pull even a small mobile home. But as I said before this forum is not for justifying your purchase, is for sharing information, and helping people understand some hiding costs and flows, and making good wise decision on spending their hard earned money.
    Mal,

If someone wants more torque than the 2.4L Accord has, it doesn't automatically mean they need a V8 pickup. They just need more than the 4, yet want an Accord, so the V6 is an OBVIOUS choice. Blufz wasn't "justifying his purchase any more than you were; actually he does it much less, just explaining why he chose the V6. It can't be denied that for towing a light weight trailer as blufz does, the V6 Accord is the logical option for someone who doesn't need to "pull a small mobile home" as you say.
    Thegrad,
    I just wanted to make a point, that a lot of people they do not understand the auto mechanic and limitation in some of the material used to build a car. Never use any car to pull anything behind you; they weren’t designed for that purpose. Another thing pulling a weight behind your car is deferent from having the same weight on the car; this is physics talking. I know that some people they may say I did it with my car for a years, yes I agree, in Europe they do it more often than in USA, I have seen the Mini cooper pulling a small motorcycle trailer, But if you have read the little plate in your vehicle in the engine bay, you’ll see that the manufacturer does not encourage towing anything behind your car. The warranty does not include damage done to the vehicle towing trailers. Another thing sometime the damage is not visible, twisted undercarriage, won’t be noticed, but it will be felt, during quick change in lane at highway speed, and cornering, may be an added over steer or under steer, vibration at high speed. All these are symptoms, you’ll experience if your undercarriage is twisted, the car loose the balance that it had before. But again, I am not trying to steer anybody from buying a V6 engine. You have the money go for it, if you don’t go for the I4. Both engines are reliable, and fuel efficient, the only difference is the resell value, and the city gas consumption. Lol
    I agree with you!! :)