Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Armada Towing

2»

Comments

• haropharop Posts: 59
    Thanks All,

I feel good and safe now :)
    I have the harness and it was left in the glove box when I bought the truck. Hence I think someone must have used it before me. Anyway I don't need it now.
    I have around 34+K on odometer (it is a 2006 model) and am planning to have all gear oils changed before moving. Does anyone knows any details, like transmission oil filter change is needed, or any gasgets, etc.

Thanks,
    -haro
  • I noticed the posts about the towing capacity on the prior years Armada's. I am looking to purchase a 2008 4wd LE and the towing package included a lower final gear ratio (3.36:1 I think). I could not find any data on the posts in carspace related to its affect on the mpg when you were driving without towing a trailer. I'm just curious to see if there is one. The mpg on the '08 is 12/17. I understand when you tow anything, fuel economy drops. I wasn't sure where to post this message but would really appreciate help. Thanks :)
  • shark715shark715 Posts: 380
    Andy, one would expect that a change in the axle ratio would effect fuel mileage (a bit, but not to a huge extent), but from what I've seen the EPA does not publish fuel mileage estimates with optional axle gear ratios. However, they do publish mileage estimates with different transmissions (when more than one transmission is available). Interesting...
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I believe that you will get the same milage as the older LEs because in prior years the LE's all had the towing package (with the lower gears)

I consistently get 13.5mpg in the city with my 04 LE w/towing package and I don't drive gently.

On the highway I'll pull about 17-18mpg doing 70-75mph.

Towing 10,000-11,000lb tri-axle boat trailer at 67mph with AC on I get 10.5mpg from NYC up to Lake George.

-mike
  • Thanks for the information!
    -Andy
    Here is a pic of my setup.

• i have a '07 armada with 4wd -- no hitch. i think it was a rental, so probably no tow package.? i have a 29' bayliner with 2 i/o engines, and guesstimate it about 8000#. i only need to tow the boat 10 miles from page to lake powell (downhill) and 10 miles back (uphill). do i need the "trailer package" (if you can even do that aftermarket, or can i get by alright with a heavy duty hitch alone -- perhaps wieght distribution type? thanks
    10 miles with a hitch and taking it real easy you should be fine. The trailer package can't be done aftermarket cause it's a different axle ratio and trans cooler, and trans temp gauge. But 10 miles would be ok if you asked me.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • My 06' turns out to be the perfect tower for our farm.
    We regurlarly tow a 4horse trailer with 2 horses on board and load the Armada with saddles and gear.
    We also tow hay(4 horse trailer fully loaded)frequently from the North Ga mtns to Ocala,Fl.About 6500LBS without a Load leveler with NO swaying problems(99% interstate).
    We now have 40K miles on it and it is a great SUV to run these mountain curves with (25mph-many).
    I HIGHLY recommend the Armada and that's said after my 400 races I've driven(retired).
    The trailer has electric brakes and my controler is easily adjusted.
    This is the one if your looking
    PS:No service problems,perfect mechanical record.
    Crusty, glad to hear someone else finds the towing to be outstanding with the Armada. So many times I get crap from the folks who are die hard American-badged truck fans that say "You need an F350 Dually Diesel or 2500HD to tow anything"

-mike
  • I do not notice a difference when towing a 8k lb load when I energize the Tow/Haul button. When I purchased my Armada, it did not have a hitich. I purchased one from the dealer and it came with the light plug in and relays. My electric brakes and lights work fine, but I do not feel a difference in shifting. I just drove it 14 hrs round trip pulling my camper and I had it in 4th gear the entire time. I guess I was expecting it to shift differenty.

Has anyone delt with this or is my system faulty?
  • I only tow a 3500 pound boat, but I can tell that the tow/haul mode seems to hold shifts a bit longer and downshift a bit more quickly. It is rather seemless, though. You'd really have to pay attention to it.
  • Ok im about to leave on my trip to Ft. Carson as my duty station and im towing my wifes car.The problem is that when I test the trailer conector the voltage for the running lights it isent there.The LH light works and the RH light works but not the running lights when I turn on the headlights.I bought the 3 relays in the engine compartment.and tested the ones inside the other fuse box and there good.So can anyone tell me whats going on on why I dont have running lights?Im leaving tuesday but I want to get this fixed by Monday.
  • bestwayaokbestwayaok Posts: 1
    My question to you is. I have a 2007 nissan armada without the tow package. I'm assuming yours might not have it either. I want to pull a 6700 lb travel trailer, loaded it is probably around 7500. Will I have any problems?
  • 7ontheroad7ontheroad Posts: 1
    edited May 2010
    My husband and I are looking to purchase our first travel trailer. We thought all of the Armada's were able to tow 9,000 lbs. I recently heard that the SE can only handle 6,500. I have a tow mode button, but no hitch. I read in an earlier post here that someone else also had the button, but no hitch and they are now towing 8,000 lbs.???? Do they have a different model? This is drastically affecting which trailer we can buy for our family and I would appreciate any advice on the subject. Thank you. Our Armada is a 2006. Don't know if this makes any difference, but thought I would add it.
  • egocastegocast Posts: 1
    I'm in colorado and we purchased a 7000 lbs camper and after we put it all our camping equipment and all we want to have in the camper, then go up to about 8000 lbs, and we love it..!!!, the only little thing i will say is went we go up the mountain is little slow, but not much... so we are very happy with our SE nissan armada 2009.
  • tyomadtyomad Posts: 7
    Just bought an '08 LE. Read on another blog that from 07/08 later, ALL models have the gauges for transmission; etc. (the way everyone says you can tell is tow package=extra gauges). Is there another way one can tell? Looking at the tag on the door frame, I can see the engine, transmission, and other part model numbers, but don't know if any of those will tell me the secret.

Thanks...
    I am assuming you don't have the original window sticker. You might be able to call Nissan and they can tell you from the VIN.

-mike
    Subaru Guru and Track Instructor
  • boats3boats3 Posts: 42

Just read all three pages, easy read. I cannot wait to tow with the Armada as we recently upgraded from a Toyota 4Runner, 8cyl. That towed great with my camper, I am expecting the Armada to do way better as it tows 2k more. Mike, I agree with you that most people believe that you need either a dually or HD to tow and that is not that case. I loved towing with my 4Runner and looking forward to many happy years with the Armada. Ours is 2014.

• boats3boats3 Posts: 42

Put close to 600 miles in the last month towing my 32 foot camper. ** Real Happy **with the towing and the purchase, exceeded my expectations. Now only if I could keep my foot off the gas pedal to get better mileage when towing.

2»