Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3 2.3 vs. '07 VW Rabbit

Comments

• aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Yes, the "J" in a VIN means it was assembled in Japan. Usually followed by the first letter of the manufacturer.

Example of a Mazda built in Japan would start "JM***"

Example of a Honda built in Japan would start "JH***"

Really getting into depth, the 10th digit is the year of the vehicle "JM1BK****7*******" That is how the all Mazda3's start.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Well, the Golf was rebadged as the Rabbit this year. So, he did essentially have a Rabbit --- just one from the previous generation.
  • stallionrestallionre Member Posts: 205
    Thank you. My point exactly. Golf, Rabbit, they are one in the same since my was a previous generation. The sticker said Rabbit, but the book said Golf. Go figure. What book ever matches the car exactly?? :surprise:
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    actually, you are both wrong.

Just like the jetta, the rabbit was introduced as a brand new model in the middle of 2006.

You can find a 2006 'golf', but its a completely different engine, chassis, suspension and interior than the rabbit.

So my orginal assumption was right; you never had a rabbit, you had a 4th generation golf. The names are not interchangable, since the rabbit is only the rabbit in the american market; its still the golf in europe.

But again you had the 4th generation and they are two completley different cars. Even if you knew nothing about the trim levels or eninges available, your eyes would tell you that they are totally different.

because they are 2 different generations, the problems don't neccesarily come hand in hand; your gen 4 golf (mkIV) was known to be problematic. My generation Rabbit, while not totally trouble free as some people have found, is much less so.

SO...what i orignally told you about hating on cars without getting the facts straight is true...its kinda like me saying i hate the mazda 3, when i owned a protege, the car that was available right before it. 2 completely different cars; one un-educated comment.
    What book ever matches the car exactly

mine does. and so do many others! :blush:
    Not really based on the factory mold. Either way I think all VW's are not to my liking and have many problems. They even look old. Their design is boring and the engines make a lot of noise. So I got a problematic one, just that alone, I will never buy one again. You may think that they are different in look, (dont let your eyes deceive you) however all the parts are made of the same material and in the same plant from the same country. Can we say Quality control!!
    Maybe your car is awesome and is better than most. If this is the case then I am happy for you. I have my facts straight. I know that the Golf and Rabbit are in the same mold. Maybe you need to do some more research about these cars. Brand new doesn't mean all brand new. Think about that. MARKETING TOOL!!! ;)
    you are not serious right? You do know that there is a complete and total difference between the mkV and mkIV? Just like there is a total difference between the protege and the 3, the 05 and 06 civic and a whole plethora of other cars that are recently re-designed.

Despite what you may think, you are misinformed. The name alone didn't change, the ENTIRE car did too. To say its the same parts and from the same factory is a bit off as well, seeing as how the rabbit is completely built in germany, with an engine sourced from mexico and the golf was built totally there.

I know the differance between a model refreshing and a complete re-design. You do not. And if you do, everything you have said, says otherwise. Plenty of people on this forum could explain this to you; its a fact that you have to accept wether you like vw's or not; its a brand new car.

For example: just because i don't like the NEW nissan sentra doensn't mean its not a full redesign and its just the same car.
    You see how this logic doesn't make much sense? That what your posts sounds like.

Marketing ploy? Yes to a certain extent and NOT in the way you mean it; yes vw re-named the golf the 'rabbit' for the american market, but they did so when they re-designed the car...the only 'marketing tool' they would not have been able to use if they didn't rename it is all the rabbit innuendos.:) But thats pretty much it;...but rabbit or golf, the mkV is a differnt car than your mkV golf.
    The current generation Golf/Rabbit first came out as "Golf", then VW simply renamed it "Rabbit". So I stand by my original statement that whether he had a Rabbit or Golf is irrelevant. Now, you could argue that the current generation is so different from the previous one that you can't extrapolate data from one to the other, but that's a different discussion.
    No need to argue anything. I was just stating my opinions and what I have read and heard. We are not experts. Just talking back and forth amongst each person to maybe learn something. Can't we all get along and be friends? CARS ARE A PERSONAL STYLE, EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN TASTE, LIKES AND DISLIKES. I AM NO KNOCKING ANYONE HERE. Sorry if I offended some.
    I'm sorry bodble but you are wrong. Vw with the new jetta and rabbit, did NOT wait a full year (beggining of 06) to release the new generation of them.

If you look at an early 2006 GOLF it looks like the same golf in 2001-2005. If you look at the model that VW calls 'the Rabbit' it is a completely different car...the name change and middle-of-the-year release is what is throwing you off. In europe, this car will always be called the golf,but when the newest generation debuted here, it was renamed the rabbit. This is fact, not opinion and i don't understand why its so hard to understand! Google pictures of both generations and its plain to see! :sick:
    No we are not experts, but what we are discussing does not require one to be and expert to understand, and yes we are here to learn, but what you are stating wasn't a matter of opinion. You basically knocked one car, when the discussion at hand is about a completely different one.

But now you know huh? :P
    This I agree with it. Each year that we learn all about a car, a new line comes out for us to start all over again to compare. Hey, this can be fun to do year after year. I didn't mean to knock a car, however I had the worst experience with that car and it made me frustrated to no end to waste so much money. It took me 4 years to recover that money. All is done and is in the past now, as we move on. I love my new 2007 Mazda M3S GT. I made the right choice in getting this car. :)
    NO, when the current gen Golf/Rabbit first came out, it was under the name Golf. Then shortly thereafter, they announced the change back to Rabbit. From Rabbit to Golf, and back to Rabbit. It's nothing more than a name game. The fact that it more or less coincided with the model-cycle changeover did not mean VW came out with a completely new model.
    where are you getting this from? Yes you can find a 2006 golf, but it won't look like the rabbit. Go to kelly blue book yourself and look for it. It will look like the previous generation. When the entire model changed is when the name changed end of story. You could even look it up under wikipedia since I apparently cannot convince you otherwise.

The only place that the current gen rabbit remains the golf is in europe. End of story.
    My only question is, who cares?! They could have renamed it eldainorabbitgolf, but it won't change the fact that the current Rabbit is still just an evolution of an existing model, which started out as a Rabbit, then got changed to Golf, now back to Rabbit. End of story.
    what do you mean who cares? Isn't every new car an evolution of the prior model? The argument here was that stallionaire didn't understand that the car changed completely when the name changed to rabbit. Thats when vw decided to release the new model, and under that name. No one is arguing that models don't evolve, but wether they change their names or not still doesn't mean that they are all the same car!

The golf has not been called the rabbit since back in the 70's when it first came to our shores!

I don't think this is an issue about 'caring'. I'm just stating facts. All your posts have insinuated that the rabbit, in its form now, has always been this way and that a name change was all that occured in 2006. WRONG.

The sheetmetal, suspension (torsion ---->independent), engine (2.0 115 hp ----> 2.5 150 hp), interior, chassis, everything, is part of a brand new model. Will a golf always be a golf? Yes but there a differences between the generations! DUH! Isn't the mazda 3 just a successor to the protege with a changed name and revised styling, suspension, drivetrain, interior, suspension etc? Yes, thats why its called a FULL MODEL CHANGE.

YOu seemed earlier to not be able to understand this concept. Other examples: yes the new civic is still a civic, but its worlds different than its previous version. Same goes for the mazda 3, the nissan sentra, the vw rabbit, (regardless of name change) and the list goes on and on! Would it make sense to harp on a 1970's rabbit and say that the new one is the same thing? NO! They are worlds apart and ALL vehicle models vary, sometimes VERY drastically from thier previous generation.

This conversation is not about the rabbit anymore, its about trying to clarify that if new models of cars don't interest you, then you'd have a tough time dealing with the automotive industry and how it works in general!
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    The 2006 Rabbit is totally new. New from the ground up. The last time in the US that the name "Golf" was used was 2005.

Now in Germany, the current U.S. market Rabbit was called the Golf last year. I think since 2004?
    I never said the car hasn't been changed. Everyone knows every car gets changed every X number of years. I just said who cares what they call it. The change from Golf to Rabbit was strictly marketing. You seem to think just because it has a new name it has become a completely new model. What if they changed the name mid-cycle? That would really throw you for a loop, wouldn't it? VW figures "Rabbit" would sell better in North America. Would it matter if Honda changed the name of the Civic every time there is a model-cycle changeover? I've wasted enough time trying to make a very basic point. If it makes you feel better to recite all your "facts", then go knock yourself out.
    NO, when the current gen Golf/Rabbit first came out, it was under the name Golf.... The fact that it more or less coincided with the model-cycle changeover did not mean VW came out with a completely new model.

you never said the car hasn't been changed huh?

I never argued that because you change a model's name; it makes it a new car. If you change the name of the civic to something else, and everything remains the same, yes its still a civic.

With the golf, when it was time for a COMPLETE redesign, they decided to change the name along with it. Why is that hard to understand? If you don't car what they call it, fine. This whole thing started because someone who owned a u.s. spec GOLF (previous gen) stated that the RABBIT (current gen) sucked, when he's never driven it and he admitted to that.

EVEN if they NEVER changed the name, his comments would have still been unfair, because he would still have to deal with the fact that this thread is about the current generation (MKV) and he owned a previous one. (MKIV)

You seem to think just because it has a new name it has become a completely new model.

No I DON'T. But in the case of the rabbit, when they changed the model, they...also...changed...the...NAME!

What if they changed the name mid-cycle? That would really throw you for a loop,

No it wouldn't, but it certainly has for you! :sick:

I've been very plain with my posts, to the point where another poster (avi) has had to tell you that, YES it is a totally different car from the previous generation.
    yes avi you are right; it took the us a little while longer to get the MKV, even when europe had already had it for awhile. There and only there has the golf, including this generation, ever reamained called the golf.
    "...coincided with the model-cycle changeover."

Which part of that did you not understand? Would it help you if I typed more slowly?

Changes, upgrades, makeovers, updates from generation to generation do not make it a "new model", you moron. When VW introduced the Phaeton, the Toureg, the Tiguan...those are "new models". Take you for example, next year you could get a new wardrobe, gain/lose 10 lbs, but it would still be the same pompouse obnoxious you.

"EVEN if they NEVER changed the name, his comments would have still been unfair, because he would still have to deal with the fact that this thread is about the current generation (MKV) and he owned a previous one. (MKIV)"
    He was commenting on the reliability of his Golf, and in that respect, it most certainly was fair for him to reference the experience he had with his car. Time will prove him right or wrong, but it is fair for him to so comment.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    This is getting tiresome. :cry:
    Oh, tell me about it!! :sick:
  • socal2006socal2006 Member Posts: 44
    Actually, in his original post, stallioner said he had a rabbit and it sucked. He didnt say anything initially about reliability, although one might imply that is what he meant with his comments about "j" cars.

In fact, the ambiguity and harshness of his post was what really put off eldaino. Stallioner initially just said the rabbit sucked, while giving no concrete reasons. Those sort of comments are essentially pointless.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Maybe we can swing back to the cars now? :sick:
    He made it clear he was referring to reliability issues in a follow-up post shortly thereafter. So, taken in context, to say his Golf/Rabbit sucked wasn't particularly harsh or offensive, especially since poor VW reliability isn't any great revelation. So for someone to then stand on a soapbox and rant and rave about whether a Golf is, or isn't a Rabbit, was, I thought, over-the-top and rather obnoxious.
    OK I will start.

I think both cars are good drivers cars. I also think it is great that they both have such readily available safety features such as stability control. Honda and Toyota should take notice. I especially appreciate that they are 4 door hatchbacks - the second most usefull bodystyle (to the station wagon). More companies should take notice of this as well.

On the other hand fuel economy could be much better. The Mazda 3 is 300 lbs less than an Accord and has a smaller engine, yet uses more fuel. The Rabbit is even worse - partly because it weighs as much as an Accord and has a larger engine with less power.

I was on the brink of purchasing a 3 hatch, but it was vetoed at the last moment for lack of rear seat room (I am but one vote). If the 3 hatch had the 2.0 liter engine that does significntly better mpg wise with very little loss of pep (I am comparing stick shift models) I might have been compelled to go for 2/3 majority to counter the veto. ;) I really wish they made that combo. It saddens me that Mazda feels people who want an efficient 4 door hatch will only purchase one if it has a larger engine.

As far as VW goes. I never really considered it this time around (I have owned a VW in the past - 1980 Scirocco). It had a little less room than the Mazda, and I feel had become too heavy for its size. It weighs over 50% more than the first Rabbits we had, and has not too much more room. I have always liked the driving dynamics of VW's though especially the nice thick steering wheels and heavy communicative steering. To me the magic bullet for VW is the diesel engine. A TDI would have had me extremely interested - in fact a TDI Jetta wagon would have catapulted to the top of my list.

I apologize if this is off the current topic. :shades:
    Even though you are way off-topic :P ;) , let me add that I think the Mazda 3 is a great package in terms of style, price, feature and performance, although I have no experience with its gas economy. The recent addition of a 5-speed auto and full complement of airbags really put it on another level. I only wished it offered traction control.

If the Rabbit had better mpg, and wasn't saddled with the VW reliability reputation, it would be unmatched in the small hatch segment. 6-speed auto, curtain airbags, traction and stability control, classy interior, gas hood struts.... The only other small hatch to beat it that I can think of, are the Mini, and Volvo C30. But those models cost thousands more, and the VW offers much more utility.
    Oh geez. This is never going to end. b, if you would clarify yourself, then maybe this conversation would'nt even be taking place.

You have yet to directly answer all of my questions. I'm trying to explain something to you, but you just want to call me names, and if your going to resort to such juvinile things thats fine, i'll just deal w/it. :blush:, but i wont resort to it.

I cant really tell where you stand on this subject anymore; you have never really answered any of the questions i've asked you.

Out of all this arguing though, we can both agree on the following;

A car getting its name changed does not make it a new car. I never stated otherwise.

But that was not my original argument was it?

Its obvious that your definition of a 'new' car means a car that is new to the market IN GENERAL, such like the tiguan and the phaeteon, vw's that had never been seen before by anyone and were a new vehicle to the small suv/large lux sedan segment. Ok fine.

But...about 90% of everyone else will agree with me in that when a car gets REDESIGNED top to bottom, its safe to say that it is different enough from the previous version to be called 'all new.'

And despite what YOU may think, other car manufacturers have called their re-designs 'new.' Who hasn't heard of the 'all new civic', the 'all new mazda 3' or the 'all new toyota camry'?

Has vw always had a 2 or 4 door hatch to market to the massess? Yes. DUH. This, per say, is not new. I've always known that, and so have countless other people. Do you really think that by changing the name to "Rabbit" i thought it was a new car in that sense? Everything i have posted has C...L...E..A...R...L...Y stated otherwise, and that i realize its the latest version of the golf. That was never,EVER the issue!!! :sick: I didnt think this was difficult to understand, but you could have at least stated that a new car TO YOU, only means a completely brand new model.

But there is a difference between redesign and new model and both could merit the reference of being 'new.'

If this is your stance on this basic prinicpal of the automotive industry's tendency to update and improve its products, you will never see eye to eye with anyone who has a newer version of a car that has been in production under the same name.

I guess you don't like new cars. You obviously would never drive the newer version of what you are driving now, since all your posts have explicitly shown that you feel that its just the same thing. :blush:

In one of your first posts, you stated or at least insinuated that vw came out with a next gen golf, and then changed the name shortly after. This is simply not true. They changed the name along with the redesign, which
    makes it seem so funny that you feel so strongly about this, since the mazda 3 kinda did the same thing, the name was changed to mazda 3 when the redesign took place. But no one is harping on the 3 are they? :confuse: :blush:

Lets forget the name rabbit for a second. I think that its too much for your mind to handle at the moment. If stallionaire was complaining about the golf, ok he has every right to do so. But 2 things are outstanding:

1. Its lame to post why you hate a car without any reason. He gave that later on, but would not have done so if no one had called him out on it. End of story.

2. Because of the golfs name change to 'rabbit' when the new model came out, it came to light that he was actually talking about the PREVIOUS GENERATION of golf, and had no real right to harp on the MKV. (when he only owned an MKIV) there is no denying that this is ignorant and unfair regardless of if you think that the newest generation merits the term 'all new car or not'.

I'm going to give another example, and use lots of spaces for your sake;

the mazda 3 is a successor to the protege, but mazda could have kept the name 'protege' and the car still would have been a complete 'all new' redesign.

Now read very carefully this is the important part....if i owned a protege 5, and it gave tons of problems, and my experience was just horrendous with it, would it be fair for me to just come out and say, 'the mazda 3 hatch sucks' when my experience is based upon the previous generation?

NO. Plain and simple. There is NO arguing that point. The fact that they changed the name to mazda 3 is irrelevant, just like how chaning the name to rabbit is irrelevant, because the fact still remains that they are practically 2 different vehicles when compared to their previous versions.

There really is nothing left to say. I've stated the facts not opinions, and i can only hope your brain is large enough to process the information.

Have a nice day!
    :sick:
    I think we've run around this semantic circle for long enough.

Time to move on. This is a comparison thread about the vehicles, not a place to discuss why someone is or isn't critical about a vehicle.

People ARE going to have differing opinions about vehicles. Whether they own them or not is not the subject.

If we cannot let this go and move on, we have a problem. :sick:
    agreed pf_flyer, just make sure the name calling stays outside and that people can at least get their cars straight and not make random, baseless comments!
    Tell the car manufacturer this. I know what I had and what car is junk in my opinion. This thread was actually fun to read, but no comment on what was said!!!
    there was PLENTY on what you said; no one deny's that the mkIV had its reliability issues...but this thread is not about the MKIV, its about the MKV, which is known in the us since its debut as the rabbit.

And if i recall, you didn't really specify to much about what the problems really were, in fact need i remind you what your first post was?

Something along the lines of the rabbit sucking? Without realizing that you had a different generation of golf?

If you really wanted to understand problems or issues with your generation golf, you should go to the GOLF forums. (thats why they exist.)
    People ARE allowed to make errors, and yes, even post comments that you might disagree with. They can even make comments that might turn out to have no basis in fact. This is a message board, not a court of law.

What needs to stop NOW is the attitude that anyone here is the arbiter of what can and cannot be posted. If something runs afoul of the Rules of the Road, that's a matter for the hosts. That includes the name calling, personal attacks and the like.

Chances are that you are going to see opinions that don't agree with yours. That's fine and is what makes the boards interesting. It's also something that everyone has to live with.

What's not fine is questioning the motive or intelligence of the person posting that differing opinion. Or attacking them because they don't like or agree with your vehicle choice.

So let's try and get back to the comparison discussion here. Any further posts that want to continue the arguement will be removed. If the discussion continues to return to why people are posting, or commenting on other users, I'm going to assume that this comparison discussion is finished and needs to be retired.

Thanks for your cooperation and participation!
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "People ARE allowed to make errors, and yes, even post comments that you might disagree with."

Well, I've certainly done my share of that.... :blush:

Just for the record, I wouldn't question someone's reluctance to consider a Mazda3 if they'd had multiple problems with a Mazda Protege. I wouldn't question someone's reluctance to consider a Chevy Cobalt if they'd had multiple problems with a Chevy Cavalier.

And I won't question someone's reluctance to consider a new Golf/Rabbit if they've had multiple problems with an older Golf/Rabbit.

Yes, the new editions may be (probably are) much improved. But there is a range of good choices all through this segment, so why have to deal with nagging worries about the reliability of your NEW car based on poor history with a previous car?

In my opinion, it's a growing propensity of consumers to LEAVE a manufacturer after 1 bad experience that is driving the manufacturer's to improve their product. They can't rely (as much) on brand loyalty to keep those owners in house.
    As much as the discussion on brand loyalty and how "problems transfer" across models might affect brand loyalty is, that's more of a general discussion that belongs over on the Automotive News & Views Message Board.

Let's stick to the specific vehicle comparison here ;)
    Basically, the car confused me, changing the model from year to the next, then back again. How can anyone keep up with that? My book says Rabbit, but the paper work said Golf. I did apologize for this confusion and then I stepped out of this forum for that fact and didn't go on and on about the car. I didn't state the problems of the car because I already realized that I might have made an error about the car and you guys jumped down my throat about it, therefore, I stepped out of this forum until the air clears. I hate arguments and how you guys were talking belittling people. We are all adults here, so I like to think that. :P

How can I make this right? I can't believe that all these pages after I left was about my error. Let's move on. Ok I had a bad car and experience with VW simple as that. I still don't like the VW cars. (I hope that this is ok to say, without someone chopping off my head). I am sorry but, I don't like the VW's at all. They have no design or look to them, especially the GTI's I like more of a sporty look to a car, since that is where the models are headed now a days. ;)

Like I said before, I am sorry that I made a mistake, but VW line Golf/Rabbit change got me confused. It was three years ago that I had the car. We are all human and can make a mistake. :cry:

Another thing, sorry that I offended some when I stated my opinion right out. I won't do that agian. :)
    Well said. Reliability, or concerns thereof, can only be based on past history, which often dictates that it be a previous iteration of the current model.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    pssst.....stallionre...

you see that guy over there with the WICKED looking sneakers? That's the host.....and he doesn't look happy. Just DROP IT, ok?

Sooo......are you enjoying your new Mazda3?
    I don't think you need to apologize at all! Even though this thread is technically about the '07 Rabbit, I think one's experience with a previous iteration has relevance. And this thread is not only open to people who have only good things to say about the Rabbit. Manufacturers change model names for marketing purposes; sometime I think to purposely confuse the average consumer! :cry: As far as I'm concern, Rabbit = Golf. Same difference. You just had an older version of the Rabbit.
    Thanks bodble, you made me feel much better. ;) I agree with you 100%. Anyway, what car do you have? You like it? I like my 3 very well. Knock on wood, no problems yet, besides trying to program the homelink system. That is challenging. :(
    Got it!! ;)
    Yes rorr,
    I enjoy the 3 very well. It sure is a zoom-zoom!! I went around a corner at 30MPH and handled very well. The car is still upright. ;)
    What car do you have? You enjoy yours?
    We have an Acura TL and a Mini, but we may need to get a 3rd car for the kids. And models being considered include the Rabbit, Mazda3, Suzuki SX4, Honda Fit, the new Lancer.
    pssst.....stallionre...

you see that guy over there with the WICKED looking sneakers? That's the host.....and he doesn't look happy. Just DROP IT, ok?

I heard that! ;)

Don't make me clean out the host's bazooka!
    Can I add my two cents? Zoom-Zoom sounds great, especially for the kids, but you knew that I was going to say that. ;)
    I am only speaking from experience. I had an Acura Legend, nice car, but with gas prices as high as they are, I had to dump it. Also trans was leaking, 203,000 miles on it, ABS pump was going out, $2,500 to repair. No thanks. :D
    We don't want that HOST!!! Please keep the host bazooka away. :P
    sorry guys! You all know i'm not here to fight, i just don't like the baseless comments thing. Would i mind if a host would step in when i get called a name instead of 10 posts later? Sure who wouldn't? Just a suggestion.

B, if you think that golf=rabbit, fine. I cant convince you otherwise, but just be careful if your around other vw buffs, they may not be as forgiving as i am...
    sorry, theres a star wars quote for ya! :P
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Since you are looking at cars for your kids, may I suggest you take a look at the IIHS crash test scores for the Mazda3, and compare them to those of the Rabbit and Fit. (I don't think they've been posted yet for the SX4 and Lancer.)

I love how the Mazda3 drives and looks, but not knowing how it fares on side crashes when equipped with SABs/SACs is steering me away from it for my next car, which will also be driven by and eventually be handed down to my daughter.
    too true backy. I've heard both the hatch and sedan have not so good ratings if they don't have the side curtains equipped on them.

That and the fact that the 2.3 doesn't really get that much better mileage than my rabbit is what will make me just settle for a gti 5 door if i ever get another hatch instead of the 3. But we will see.
This discussion has been closed.