Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Steering

Comments

• knah2003knah2003 Member Posts: 11
    :shades: Does anyone know who we need to contact about this, the cost is unbearable. It seems they're more concerned about other thing: exterior lighting, tailgate holders than the steering of the vehicle. I'm gonna try Consumer Protection and see if they bite! :cry:
  • ldsokolldsokol Member Posts: 14
    :mad: I bought a 2006 2500 HD brand new with a lift kit already put on by the dealership. After about 2 weeks I noticed when I applied the brake the steering would lock. I've had it to 3 gmc dealerships several different times, they all tell me the same thing, it's a "normal characteristic". However I've also taken it to 2 other automotive shops who say it's not normal. I took the truck for safety inspection in Aug. 2007, and it was rejected. I took it back to the dealer where I bought the truck for them to fix, they couldn't do anything, so I'm sitting here making payments and paying for insurance on a vehicle I can't drive. The Utah Safety manual says, there will be no binding in the steering and there must be a 20% reserve on the brake. Has anyone else experienced this? If so I would appreciate any help, as I'm getting an attorney to see if we can't make GM fix the problem. Mine is not the only vehicle that does this, check yours, if it has a "Hydro boost" system, there is a good chance your vehicle does this as well. It's also not limited to GM, but Ford, Dodge, anything with this system in it.The Utah Highway Patrol Vehicle Safety even put out a newsletter to it's inspection stations to reject any vehicle with this problem. :sick: If enough people get together we should be able to do something about this. By the way my truck only has 3800 miles on it and I bought it in Sept. 2006. Pretty bad. :mad: :mad:
    I already posted before I found this. My GMC does the same thing my post is #53. I would like to see some action taken but don't know how to get it done. Every road seems to be a dead end.
  • paulies46paulies46 Member Posts: 1
    2000 GMC Sierra Z71. When I put the truck in four wheel drive, the front end locks up when I try to turn the steering wheel. I mean the wheels will turn roll froward or backward. It feels like something is binding up. I have no idea what is causing this problem. It does not do it until I put the truck in four wheel drive.
  • I'm having a similar problem with 2004 GMC sierra Z-71 5.3 engine. I have intermittent problems with steering: when you are at idle, steering wheel will only make a partial turn. Increase RPM and it seems to steers fine. However, I have noticed that steering seems to be taking more effort. I'll take it in to dealer shortly (extended warranty) and once I find out what they say, I'll repost.
    Thanks for your post. Have you noticed if your brake pedal goes all the way to the floor when you apply it? I don't know if your state has a safety inspection to get vehicles relicensed, but here in Utah the Highway Safety did put out a bulletin on this problem, the inspectors are to reject any vehicle that has this problem. I hope this will help in getting GMC to do something. We filed complaints with the NHTSA, consumer affairs and the BBB. We went through arbitration with a rep from GMC and the arbitrators decision was that GMC was not responsible. We are now going to a lemon law attorney, who would like to know about other complaints. If you're interested let me know and I'll send you some information. The thing that makes it a little hard is that not every state has safety inspections. Thanks Larry.
  • camaronut70camaronut70 Member Posts: 3
    I hit a ditch head on at about 100 mph and they didn't deploy! almost 10k in damage to the truck and GM says they don't see that they have any fault. Not once but two times they denied this. WOW! It was in the dealership 3 times proir to the accident and 2 times after for the air bag light being on on the dash. Two times they replaced the sensor in the dash....... If you have any problems like this please let me know. We need to team up to get the job done on this corporate giant..... You buy their vehicles at the rediculas full price they ask and they don't stand behind the product!!! Even on safety issues. These trucks are lemons by far! To many issues to even list about this truck I own. Steering is one. Safety issues they don't care about them as long as they are making money to pay the attorneys to protect them.. They need their balls busted. I have always been a die hard chevy fan but am loosing interest due to the junk they now sell. no wonder why the old rides are worth 2 to 3 times more than the new ones. :P
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    One thing you have to remember about air bags... they require a traumatic change in g-forces in order to deploy, i.e. coming to a near-immediate stop. Depending on what happened after you hit the ditch (not even going to ask why you were doing 100 in a truck), unless you essentially came to a dead stop upon impact, the bags should not have deployed. If the vehicle continued to travel from momentum, the g-force change was not severe enough.

kcram - Pickups Host
    If you live in Utah and own a vehicle that is equipped with the Hydro-boost system, this may concern you.
    The Utah Highway Patrol Vehicle Safety put out a newsletter on Nov. 1, 2007. It states,
    "Recently, one of our Safety Inspection Investigators investigated a case involving a 2006 GMC Sierra Dura Max Diesel. During this investigation, it was found that the steering wheel would bind when the brake pedal was applied, particularly while parking. General Motors issued a service bulletin (#1848789) acknowledging a pre-existing poser assist condition, which can be aggravated by having worn tires, low tire air pressure, lower power steering pump pressure, and larger tires than stock size. Please make sure that all inspectors are aware that this same condition can be seen on any other vehicle make or model with this type of power assist system. If your station does come across a vehicle with this same condition, please make sure that the vehicle is rejected as it is noted in the 2007 Safety Inspection Manual."
    If your vehicle is rejected or has this problem and you live in the state of Utah please leave a comment on this and we'll figure out how to get in touch with each other. The car manufacturers should have to fix this problem, but right now their saying it's one in many that has this condition. We need to show them they're wrong before something goes tragically wrong. Thanks for your support. Please let me know even if you don't live in Utah.
    Every state has a lemon law, maybe that's the way to go. I'm checking into ours right now in Utah. I'll post again when I hear something.
    Just so you all know if the dealer installs a lift kit before you buy the new vehicle, it voids the warranty through GM. This is just something that the dealer forgets to tell you if you have trouble with it. The dealer is making approximately $6500.00 profit by putting it on and then they don't want to fix anything on it. They shouldn't be able to put them on vehicles without having them re-inspected for safety.
  • capbobcapbob Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Long Box 3500 GMC Sierra Diesel Dually with about 65000 miles and beefed up suspension. I carry a 11 ft. truck camper frequently and until recently hauled a 26 ft. boat. I have had the front end aligned and installed and balanced new tires The problem that occurs with and without a load is a shimmy (sometimes violent) in the front end at various speeds, on various services and at different temperatures. It can sometimes be worse when the brakes are applied or going around a curve and may disappear under identical conditions the next day. Because it is intermittant I have not been able to resolve.Any ideas?
    Try having someone check the rotors. I've heard that some people have them turned or shaved and that takes care of the problem, but if you read other posts in the brake section you might find the answer there. You also need to make sure they cleaned inside the wheel when the tires were put on and balanced. Also make sure they do a high speed balance. I'm not a mechanic, I'm just letting you know that I've seen this on other posts and I've dealt with this on my other vehicles. Let me know if this helps.
  • jvargasjvargas Member Posts: 2
    04 chev k1500/i know grease is apply, but where
  • mdclossomdclosso Member Posts: 1
    Same exact problem on my '02 Silverado (same as post 50). Anyone respond yet to this?
  • 1jmangum1jmangum Member Posts: 1
    I would also check your tie rod ends
  • jvargasjvargas Member Posts: 2
    i had this problem before @ 20,000 miles / the dealer grease something on the steering shaft / now @ 67,000 miles it's back
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Greasing the shaft is old news. They have a new shaft out. Costs like $50 and takes maybe 15 minutes to replace. Depending on your relationship with your dealer and previous documentation they should pick up the tab for this.
  • kin16352kin16352 Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 Chevy Silverado Z71 is making a knocking noise that I can hear and I also slightly feel it through my steering wheel when any steering input is put into it left or right at slow speeds. Also when I get up to around 35 mph I hear a squeaking noise also coming from the front end. It is totally stock just newer tires same size as stock. Ideas? Disscuss.
    GM has a new intermediate steering shaft to replace the one causing your knocking noise. The part no. is 19153614. If you have a history of this problem with your dealership you can have it replaced free as it is a permanent fix for a problem that has started in the '99 Silverados.

Here is the service bulletin:

Document ID# 1893252

Subject: Clunking Noise Under Hood and Can Be Felt in Steering Wheel and/or Steering Column (Replace Upper Intermediate Steering Shaft (I-Shaft) Assembly) #00-02-35-003M - (01/31/2007)

Models: 2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade Models

1999-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Models (Classic)

2000-2006 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe Models

2002-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche

1999-2007 GMC Sierra Models (Classic)

2000-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL Models

2003-2006 HUMMER H2

Attention: This Service Bulletin DOES NOT include Mid-Size Utilities such as Buick Rainier, Chevrolet TrailBlazer Models, GMC Envoy Models or Oldsmobile Bravada. Refer to Service Bulletin 02-02-35-006A or newer for Mid-Size Utilities.

This bulletin is being revised to update the repair procedure with a permanent fix.

Condition
    Some customers may comment on a clunk-type noise coming from under the hood that also can be felt in the steering wheel. These conditions may be more noticeable when turning at low speeds on rough road surfaces.

Diagnostic Tips
    Use the information below to help diagnose the source of the noise.

• Frame Snap and/or Popping Type Noise -- A frame snap or popping type noise can be duplicated on rough or smooth road surfaces with steering wheel input to the left or the right. This type of noise can be HEARD and is typically louder with the windows rolled down. For additional information, refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 03-08-61-002F or newer -- Snap/Popping Type Noise Coming from Front of Vehicle (Remove Front Crossmember, Change Fastener Orientation).

• Intermediate Shaft Clunk -- Intermediate shaft clunk is heard and FELT in the steering wheel and/or steering column area, typically while driving on rough road surfaces with steering wheel input.

Correction
    DO THIS
    DON'T DO THIS

Replace the I-Shaft with P/N 19153614.
    Do NOT lubricate or exercise the I-Shaft.

Important:

• I-shaft P/N 19153614 has been designed to replace previous designed dampened and non-dampened I-shafts. The physical difference in the yoke size will accommodate all vehicles listed in this bulletin.

• Due to the design of the new I-shaft, it is not possible to lubricate/grease the I-shaft.

Replace the steering column upper intermediate shaft with an improved design shaft that will eliminate the clunk noise using the procedure listed below.

Set the front wheels in the straight ahead position.
    Notice: On the 2002 and later model year vehicles, the steering column LOCK was removed from the steering column. It is critical that the J 42640 - Steering column Anti-Rotation Pin is used when servicing steering columns on 2002 and later model year vehicles. Failure to use the J 42640 may result in damage to the SIR coil.

Set the steering wheel in the LOCK position on 2001 and prior model year vehicles.

For 2002 and later vehicles, install the J 42640 in the steering column lower access hole.

From under the hood, remove the lower bolt that connects the upper intermediate shaft to the steering gear coupling shaft.
    Slide the shaft towards the dash in order to disengage the shaft from the steering gear coupling shaft.
    For vehicles equipped with adjustable foot pedals, perform the following steps:
    6.1. Reposition the carpet away from the accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor.

6.2. Remove the two nuts retaining the accelerator pedal to the bulkhead.

6.3. Reposition the accelerator pedal out of the way so the intermediate shaft can be removed.

From inside the vehicle, remove the upper bolt from the upper intermediate steering shaft (1) to the steering column connection.
    Remove the upper intermediate steering shaft assembly.
    8.1. From inside the vehicle, slide the shaft down and off the steering column.

8.2. From inside the vehicle, slide the upper intermediate shaft through the dash boot seal and remove the shaft from the vehicle.

Replace the upper intermediate shaft.
    Install the upper intermediate steering shaft through the dash boot seal and slide the lower end into the steering gear coupling shaft.
    Raise the upper end of the intermediate steering shaft and install into the steering column shaft.
    Install the upper bolt and nut.
    Tighten
    Tighten the bolt to 47 N·m (35 lb ft).

Install the lower bolt and nut.
    Tighten
    Tighten the bolt to 50 N·m (37 lb ft).

For vehicles equipped with adjustable foot pedals, perform the following steps:
    14.1. Reposition the accelerator pedals into position on the bulkhead.

14.2. Install the two retaining nuts.

Tighten
    Tighten the nuts to 20 N·m (15 lb ft).

14.3. Reposition the carpet into place.

Parts Information
    Part Number
    Description

Shaft - Upper Intermediate Steering

Warranty Information
    For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
    Description
    Labor Time

E7700
    Shaft, Steering Intermediate - Upper -- Replace
    Use Published Labor Operation Time

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
    WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved
    Wow!
    Ihad this shaft replaced in Nov. and it did absolutely nothing for the 'Chubaka Noise" coming from the left side of my '04 Silverado, but tghe mechanis did tell me that replacing the steering column would get it done and that greasing the shaft was not possible due to it being "closed".
    On the side I travelled to Colorado and on the return trip I noticed the speedometer was at 120mph! I pulled off to the side of the road and turned off the engine and to my astonishment was still doing 75-80mph!
    So, I had to "guestimate" the speed by way of other cars on the highway.
    To my surprise, when I arrived home there was a letter from GM telling me that they'd had complaints about the "jittery" instrument panel and I got it replaced for free at the dealer. All I had to do was give them my VIN, they ordered the part and replaced it in less than 45 minutes.
    I can't understand why the delay on the steering column.... :shades:
  • jscanjscan Member Posts: 2
    I have an 04 Yukon XL and at about 18000 miles the steering wheel would lock up at slow parking lot type maneuvers. After having the steering pump replaced and a special larger type steering valve that is associated with the pump replaced it still had the same problem and the highly trained dealership mechanic and the GM rep. that he talked to had no clue so they gave that familiar answer that it is a characteristic of the hydroboost system. I didn't accept that for an answer because the first 18000 miles I had no problem. So I went to another dealer and at the same time contacted the higher ups at GM. The mech. at the new dealership said that my problem was not the hydroboost system (which will give a slight tug at the wheel when turning and braking, but that is it...just a slight feeling...NOT lock up for a split second) he said something is wrong with the steering box (which the factory rep. told the first mechanic not to replace) When the new steering box was replaced the problem went completely away! There is some type of written bulliten about replacing the steering box for this problem but it was not as available as other bullitens are. hope this helps.
  • rich87rich87 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 2500 series chevy HD pick-up truck. It has variable assist steering .I change thr power steering pump and the steering box but it still doesn't get hydraulic pressure to steer the truck and there are no codes. How do I solve this problem? Rich
  • ty5ty5 Member Posts: 2
    I am a long time Suburban owner, but till now they where all 1500's with vacuum assist brakes. I just purchased a 98 K2500 Suburban w 7.4 and hydroboost. the brakes are great (compared to my 2 97 K1500's one LT, one is Police issue), but the has a high pitch whining sound that is RPM affected, especially when cold, and the steering is noisy at low speeds, especially at the end of the steering limits, and steering assist is almost non existent when backing in low speeds. Anyone can give me some pointers , before I start to replace the pump or steering components. I searched the Suburban forums but most of them do not have info on 2500 w. hydroboost, as this is more of a Silverado/Sierra feature, and on this forum most reference is for the 99 and newer.
    Tnx
    Ty
  • dmthainesdmthaines Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem, 1997 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 ext cab, 5.7L. When I turn the wheel approx 80 deg left, there is a sudden sharp drop in steering effort ( feels like wheel came off in my hands). Problem began 3 yrs ago only 1-2 x/year, now almost every time. Also, maybe related, about 3 yrs ago after cold start, power steering remained at full boost for 5 minutes, then fixed itself. During that episode it also felt like the wheel was not connected. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Questions: does this vehicle have a steering angle sensor? Vehicle speed sensor? Anything else that may cause erratic power steering pressure?
  • sammie8sammie8 Member Posts: 1
    I have a problem turning the truck only when its in 4wd sounds like the same problem as #55??But what its doing is almost like snow plowing when I try and turn.The truck will not take a 90 degree turn in 4wd.Like theres a spool instead of a limited slip!I bought the truck new ,never had this or really any other problem and the truck has 48,000.I took a quik look underneath and see nothing obvious!
  • mudd_jumpermudd_jumper Member Posts: 1
    My friends 2004 HD has squeaky steering that has been fixed twice now at about 100.00 a pop. Does anyone know about this or have a diagram were we can do it our selfs? From my understanding is they pull the steering shaft and use a needle grease gun to lube it. So what I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem or know of a better fix or a diagram on how to do it? Thank you for all the help in advance.

Steve
  • truck10truck10 Member Posts: 1
    2004 Silverado. Vibration and sound like running mudders at 20 mph and up. Only when going straight and turning to the left. Noise stops with right hand curves.
  • openend22openend22 Member Posts: 12
    I live in western pa and i have a 2005 chevy duramax 3500 4x4 that does the same thing..The power steering system looses power assist when you are moving slow in parking type situations. The bakes get harder to push also.. The dealers have changed the control valve in the power steering pump and also changed the steering box assembly.. it still gets real stiff and looses power assist and has the pump whine.. They told me the tires were low and all the other bs. We should try to do something about the steering problems as these trucks are unsafe the way they are..
  • ty5ty5 Member Posts: 2
    I have been driving the truck (98 K2500 Burb. LT 7.4 w. Hydroboost) for 2 months now. The brakes are sensational compared to my other late 90's 1500's with vacuum assist, even at low speeds and engine rev. (idle@700rpm) but the steering is very stiff at low revs, a two hand job even for me (6.2" & 240lb), if I can give it some gas, it is OK, so in my opinion the portioning valve that distributes the pressure/power created by the hydro pump gives most of it to the brakes for safety at low rev's. I guess we can play with the portioning valve to give more for the steering, but I do not wan to lose any stopping power!!!! I am just getting a complete GM service manual for it, I will see what I can come up with.
  • openend22openend22 Member Posts: 12
    gm says that "its a common trait of the truck.. I think its a safety defect. I am also a big guy and it takes 2 strong arms and then some to steer the truck..
  • crisgocrisgo Member Posts: 1
    I am curious if the bleeding of the steering solved the problem. I have a similar problem with a seemingly tight front end and say starting to make a left turn and the steering wheel will just let go for just a bit. Or even going down the road straight and with pressure to the left it will do this.
  • motoman2motoman2 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2005 chevrolet silverado 1500. there is a vibration at 45 mph and 55 mph. it feels like your running over the rumble strips on the highway. has anyone else had this problem or may know how to fix the problem
  • rodneyfrodneyf Member Posts: 2
    i have the same problem. i cannot tell if the whining noise is fromm the front end because the noise can only be heard with the windows up? the whining is constant and increases as i pick up speed, so it is not the transmission. when i turn to the right, it stops for a second, but picks up again when i straighten out the truck? i'm being told that it could be a rear axle bearing, but i'm not convinced. i don't want to replace a thousand parts before the problem is found. did you ever find a fix for your problem?
  • cstduramaxcstduramax Member Posts: 1
    I just recently installed a leveling kit on my 04 HD and since then I have developed a vibration sound that only happens between these speeds . It stops if you let of the throttle but it sounds like i am running over the ruts on the side of the freeway. has anyone had this problem or know how to fix it??
  • rodneyfrodneyf Member Posts: 2
    I REPLACED THE FRONT DRIVERSIDE HUB ASSEMBLY AND MY PROBLEM WAS SOLVED. IT'S HARD TO BELIEVE ALL THAT LOUD WHINING COULD COME FROM THAT WHEEL HUB!!
    Was this out of your pocket or is there another GM "recall"....and how do we get this info to GM if there's not?
  • deadedeade Member Posts: 1
    First, I live in Louisiana and have not heard of state inspections being rejected for this reason. Maybe this is something I can bring to the attention of LA-DOT.

I have a 2004 Z71 which I bought new and now it has only 28K miles. I noticed the clunking in the steering wheel at about 15k miles and was told it was not a major problem and that grease would help, but the clunking did not bother me enough to take it apart. Now, I have another problem with steering which is a safety hazard. At a stop and low speeds, with or without the breaks applied, I have no power steering assistance to the left. I jacked up the left side enough to get some pressure off the wheel and noticed I can steer in both directions just fine. I checked and greased both sides and did not find anything noticeably worn on the front end. I read a service bulletin that recommends changing the gear box from a 670 to a 680.

At the end of the day, I'm still scratching my head and looking for answers...All the help is greatly appreciated!
  • pathy58pathy58 Member Posts: 15
    I have an 04 4WD and had to have the rear slip yoke replaced because of a whinning noise. It was not there all the time but sometimes.
  • moortinezmoortinez Member Posts: 1
    I complained to the dealer my 03 felt as if the whole front end was going to fall out. They told me they knew what it was and fixed/lubed the Intermediate steering shaft, unfortunately in just a month it was the same thing. Who has the time to give up a vehicle for a few days every month to the dealer to keep repairing the same thing. Now I know why my friends by Tundras and GM is loosing money, they keep selling us junk.
    Things have changed since 2006. In 2007 GM came out with a replacement shaft part no. 19153614. FYI
  • silverchevysilverchevy Member Posts: 3
    I know how you feel about the int. steering shaft problem... I have a 2003 2500HD that I bought new in June, 2003. Of all the hundreds of parts that could have been junk on your truck, give GM,(Chevy) some credit, every other thing on :shades: my Silverado is still working from day one even every light bulb is original. I LOVE MY SILVERADO !!!
    Look into buying an aftermarket shaft, they do make one. Good Luck, bp.
  • davethecarnutdavethecarnut Member Posts: 248
    Did you buy an aftermarket part? I just got a message from my dealer that GM came out with a replacement part that should still be covered under warranty ( I have an 03 GMC) yes, a real part and not another lube kit. I'll let you know how it goes.
    GM part no. 19153614

for the updated replacement intermediate steering shaft.
    There is a replacement that GMC pays for...the intermediate steering shaft...but it still doesn't help the noise on steering . The mechanic replaced shaft and then told me that the problem was the "steering column...$700 cost to me! Why hasn;t there been a recall on this???? They recalled dash ( instrument cluster) because we couldn't tell how fast we were going, but what about if we're not able to control vehicle if steering fails...speed then doesn't matter! I talked to GM and they had no complaints from anybody but me.....
    Thank you, Ben. I'll take that part number to my dealer. May the Force be with me...
    Did you drive your truck after the new shaft was put on to feel or hear the noise? When they did the "lube kit" on mine the first time, I admit, there was no noise or rattle throughout the steering system. For awhile anyway. The reason I ask is because maybe the replacement part actually fixed the whole problem and you didn't need the column work.
  • silverchevysilverchevy Member Posts: 3
    I had a friend,(he's a Chevy dealer mech.) change mine a year or so ago,,, The steering felt like it was brand new again... That lasted about one year and now it feels loose again. He has given me a new shaft, the new part number one and I will be changing it soon...Too be continued.......bp :D
  • vormaxvormax Member Posts: 2
    put 24" wheels on my 08 sierra vortec max and when i hit hte brakes now it violently shakes the truck... thought the big wheels were warping my rotors but it doesn't do it every time i had them on my 05 with no problems so i'm begining to think it's the new steering system. I'm not a big fan of rack and pinion steering on pick up trucks does anyone have a clue on how to fix this problem??
  • joseortalejojoseortalejo Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2006 chevy 4 door silverado with about 23k miles on it......mid last year i took it in to have the steering checked out, i had the "chevy clunk" in the steering...i was told it was fixed, however now my steering sounds like a '76 ford when i turn the wheel making the old whining sound in the steering pump, and guess what???? the clunk is not gone, since then I have noticed a vibration from 45 to 60, i was told to get the front end aligned since i have aftermarket 20" wheels on it now......5 days is the minimum amount of time that Chevrolet needs to repair the problem, any info????