Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Cube

funflackfunflack Member Posts: 1
Does any body know about the release of the intresting car, and if it will have the electroic rear wheel drive system that has me so pumped up?

Comments

• kb4kb4 Member Posts: 6
    I haven't seen nor heard ANYTHING about this car. Izzzzzzznt it supposed to come out in 2008?
  • chris777chris777 Member Posts: 126
    I'll just bump this as it not looks like its now a 10 according to edmunds, I was looking at possibly waiting, but not 2 years, their loss.
  • southpaw76southpaw76 Member Posts: 3
    Actually the 2010 Nissan Cube will come out in the Spring of 2009. Only 10 more months to go!
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    Nissan will unveil the third-generation Nissan Cube at the Los Angeles Auto Show this coming Wednesday (11/19/2008). From the spy pictures I've seen, the new Cube will be a tad less "squarish" than the current JDM model (probably due to the need to meet NHTSA safety standards), but will be roomier than the current model, too. Because it's built on the same platform as the Nissan Versa, expect Nissan to offer the same 1.8-liter I-4 engine with either five-speed manual or CVT automatic like the Versa offers.
  • iamziamz Member Posts: 542
    I'd rather it have the 1.4 liter and get 40 mpg.
    They ruined it. And we will only get the 1.8 liter (Hey Nissan, some of us would like 40 mpg!) The Cube was at the top of my list. Not any more. They must have used GM's design department for this new model. What a shame.
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    The problem is that even on the older model, the 1.5-liter I-4 was woefully underpowered for the Cube--and that's on the JDM version! Given that the new Cube is based on the same platform that spawned the Nissan Tiida/Versa model, that's why they could use the 120 bhp engine from the Versa. :)
    I've owned cars with around 80 hp that had top speeds of about 90 mph. The car magazines and sites like Edmunds have convinced the American public that there is never enough power. It really does not matter if a car takes 4 seconds or 14 seconds to get to 60 mph.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    I agree with you. Peel off the Nissan badge and an 'xB' badge would be quite at home. Bring back the funky looks and the fuel-efficient engine.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in my thinking.
  • autohound1autohound1 Member Posts: 45
    I'm surprised there is so little discussion on the new Cube. I really thought it would generate much more interest by now -- only 12 posts so far, including mine! I'm very excited this car is finally coming over. I was a big fan of the original xB (didn't buy one though), but I think this car has promise to outshine that car. And I wouldn't even consider the current xB -- too much of a porker, lack of originality (sell-out), and no longer a value for those of us looking for an ideal mix of utility/style/economy. I think the 2009 Cube looks very promising though.

From the pics released, I already know I like the interior/exterior of the car, but need to experience the "feel" of the inside & the space utilization first-hand. Space/hauling ability is very important to me, since I have frequent need for it. Anyhow, I'd like to know more about the drivetrain, suspension, weight, economy, and price. I know it is slated to get the Versa 1.8 litre and 6-speed manual or CVT. Not sure if that is a good thing or not though, as I've never driven a Versa. I've read of some complaints about that drivetrain. Seems like some people only get low to mid 20's mpg, while others get mid-30's (rated 27/33 for the CVT). Not sure why so much variability. However, given the ratings on the Versa, I've got to believe the Cube will be heavier, and will thus be less than 27/33. I certainly hope it's not lower though. I'd like to see city mpg at 30+ and hwy at least upper 30's, but guess I may need to get more realistic about that.

Space-wise, I assume it will be similar to the original xB, with perhaps a bit more room. All I can find on it so far is that Nissan says it will be "over 50 cubic feet" of space (while the original xB was rated at 43 cf). I think the closest competitor now would probably be the Honda Fit, which is a car I also find quite interesting, though doesn't have near the personality of the Cube. The new Fit is rated at 57.3 cf, though last year was only 41.9 cf. Edmunds mentioned that some of that difference is from the slightly larger redesign, but that most of it is likely because this year they may be counting the space above the foldable front passenger seat. Not sure if Cube has that feature. I've seen weight estimates of 2,560 lbs for the Cube (compared to original xB of 2,395 lbs and new Fit of 2,604 lbs). The Fit with Automatic is rated at 28/35. If that's all Honda can crank out of the Fit, I'm sure the Cube will be a little less....probably 26/32 -- that's my guess.

I have been a Honda/Toyota/Mazda guy in the past, but never owned a Nissan. I've heard some quality gripes lately of Nissan, particularly of the Versa. Not sure if those gripes are major or minor items though. I would feel confident of Honda/Toyota/Mazda quality, but Nissan is simply an unknown for me. Also, Edmunds has knocked the Versa as being "boring" on the driving experience. I certainly don't expect anything terribly dynamic, given the cubic design, but hope it's at least this side of "boring." I do like something that's got at least a little attitude in the driving/handling department. Oh, and please be quieter inside than a Honda (my biggest gripe about Hondas in general).

Some other specs I've seen on the Cube:
    Standard Safety items include -- ABS with EBD and Brake Assist; VDC; Traction Control; Tire Pressure Monitoring; 6 air bags; Active Head Restraints. This is a pretty impressive safety list for an economy car in my opinion.

Also standard: 6-way manual driver seat; 4-way manual passenger seat; Armrests front & back (take note Honda!); Sliding & Reclining rear bench that moves 6 inches fore/aft (0", 3.9", 6" settings); An awesome 32.8 foot turning radius; Power windows w/ auto-down for driver; Power Locks; Variable front wipers and intermittent rear wipers; 12-volt power outlet; Speed-sensitive Power Steering; Front disc/Rear drum (boo!); MacPherson struts up front & torsion beam rear (boo! -- but pretty typical in this class); 15-inch wheels.

Some Options: Intelligent Key with Push Button Start; Leather-wrapped steering wheel with Audio Controls; Bluetooth; Rockford Fosgate subwoofer w/ 6 speakers; XM radio; iPod hookup; Rear Sonar system......plus a bunch of frivolous design items, if you're into that.

So overall, I think this could be a real contender for me. My biggest concern remains the mpg ratings. All Nissan will say so far is hwy mpg "above 30." And of course the actual comfort. With 6-way driver seat, should be able to find a good position, assuming seats themselves are comfortable & supportive. Also, hope the steering has tilt/telescope settings. I'm curious to see what others think, and please correct me if I've mis-stated any of the specs above. There's not a lot of concrete info available yet, so some of it may just be speculation....but that's better than nothing I guess.
  • nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    I wouldn't worry about the new epa numbers, you should be able to beat them w/o any problems as long as you are not gunning your car at every stop light. Seeing toyota "lost it" with the 2nd gen xb, nissan quickly put together a new cube using the existing versa platform and hardware, smart move. If priced right, it should have pretty good sales numbers.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Like the flower holder on the Beetle, the shag carpeted dash is a bit much. Thank god it's an add-on.

Looks considerably smaller than the Soul. Both the Soul and Cube look a lot more appealing than the second gen. xB, but a recent ride in an xB seemed to indicate a competent, if externally ugly car.

I've never owned a Nissan, but did own two Renaults in the seventies and eighties so odd funky cars appeal to me. If my Malibu Maxx gave up the ghost both the Cube and Soul would be on my short list, as I like odd vehicles that you can cram stuff into.
  • pog4pog4 Member Posts: 13
    While driving by a Nissan dealer last night I noticed they had a silver Cube sitting out front in all it glory. I pulled over to get a good look and I like it… I think it looks loads better in person and larger than I expected. I was always a fan of the 1st gen XB and to this day still wish I would have bought one, the cube may fill that void. Since I have not driven a cube I would love to hear from those who have and preferably comments on the 6sp manual. I like manuals for their efficiencies but am lost as to why the CVT is rated so much higher in the EPA city test.

I will be in the market for a new ride later this summer / fall and have been enjoying reading about all the new models. So far I am considering a cube, fit, new prius, insight, mazda3 HB or the upcoming MKVI golf tdi. I know the cars are all over the spectrum but I figure I can get a cheaper fun car like the cube / fit or buy a more expensive fuel saver like the TDI, the fuel saving wont equal out but it’s a way to justify the higher cost to me. The mazda3 isn’t cheep or efficient with the 2.5 but it’s on my list since I am still in love with my 2002 protege5.
  • nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    I wonder if the shag is fastened with velcro or the whole dash is really carpeted. I really like the cube but I'm not sure a guy in the mid 40's driving a cube blasting black eyed peas would be allowed to go near public parks.
  • xbcubecoffinsxbcubecoffins Member Posts: 1
    Took the family for a test drive last weekend and liked it so much I put in my deposit for a Krom being delivered next month. We are the proud owners of an original xB 2005 model.(we are keeping it) Not that phony thing they have now. Cube is very similar to original xBox in that it is roomy inside, I fit in front and rear seat comfortably, and I'm 6'4". Beyond that the Cube seats are more comfortable and the extras like factory cruise, steering wheel mounted audio controls and other creature comforts are all there unlike the xB. Performance is better in the Cube although the CVT took getting use to in the test drive I took. I kept waiting for the shift point that never came. Visibility is good. A couple shortfalls are lack of easily accessible large cup holders and the steering wheel does not tilt up far enough to have an unobstructed view of the instrument panel. xB has the top of dash mounted cluster that works well for visibility. Nissan should look to follow xB and Mini Cooper in that regard. I thought about cutting the top section of steering wheel out similar to a plane yoke but might have to wait until warranty expires. (Also don't want to trigger airbag). Overall I think Nissan is picking up the niche that Scion abandoned and it has a winner.
    P.S. "The Shag" is only a small section in the middle. The sales people were all scratching their heads trying to explain it. I suggested besides a conversation piece it might have a practical use to keep things placed on top of dash i.e. sunglasses, from sliding around. I'm with nwng though it may have to go or get at least get a trim.
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    Had an opportunity to take one for a spin. All in all it was fine. Roomy enough, should be great for around town, which is what it'd be used for if I bought one.

My only complaint, to date, is the drivers seat belt buckle digs into my hip.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Cube is interesting. If it had sunroof option I'd at least stop at dealer to take a look.
  • thekingtheking Member Posts: 107
    I cannot find any data on the ground clearance for the cube without the sill extensions. I would be more interested in the sl vs the Krom model ! :D
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    the interior looks nice....modern, but not too funky; I like the window shape and configuration, but the rear end.....I dunno, to me it looks like an old Infiniti J30 with a camper top. ;)
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    "J-30 with a camper top" is priceless! And true. Thanks.
    and I really like it! It's an enormously good value for the money. The downsides are tornado-like wind noise at normal highway speeds, and lots and lots o' leaning in fast turns, but the engine and brakes are more than up to the task, there is tons of room inside for four full-size people, the seats are comfy, the ride is good considering the light weight and short wheelbase, and you GOTTA LOVE the shag carpet on the dash and the rippled ceiling! :-)

I only wish they had more shag carpeting in it. Would have to get the interior light kit.

Plus the looks are one of a kind - I have seen the Soul up close now, and it is no comparison IMHO.

I don't like the CVT at all, I would have to try out a stick shift, but I might get one of these.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• sunnyb1sunnyb1 Member Posts: 4
    Hi All;
    I live in Miami and the ads around here say "$13,990 MSRP" so what do you think a Base Cube w/ manual transmission would go for?
    Thanks for your thoughts!
  • danielmovedanielmove Member Posts: 8
    Well we have had our 2009 Cube for 3 months now. The only issues we have had is a recall notice we received from Nissan regarding replacing the rear door exterior handles and the associated internal brackets. Apparently someone had an issue of breaking them off. We use ours often with twin daughters getting in and out all the time and they seem just fine so far. We do have a more troubling problem tho. One of the electronic keys would not work correctly. It will unlock and lock the doors if you push the buttons on the key but the keyless entry will not work. In addition you can not start the car with it unless you put the device right up next to the start button on the dash. We read the manual and it stated that the problem was due to the battery being weak in the keyless device. Even tho the car is brand new and the battery should last at least 2 years we went ahead and bought a new battery and put in the device only to discover that the problem still exist. Has anyone had a similar problem? Any help would be appreciated. One last thing just came to mind. Is it just us or does anyone else think that that big flat windshield on the Cube is some kind of powerful rock magnet? No kidding we get hit by a sizeable rock weekly. Luckily one has not cracked the windshield yet.
  • rara23rara23 Member Posts: 1
    I have definitely noticed a problem with getting hit with rocks, though this is a common problem in the city where I live. I'm in Calgary, Canada, and the city puts gravel on the road every winter to help with the snow and ice. Come spring, well, let's just say it makes a lot of money for the glass repair companies. Anyway, almost every time I drive down the biggest road in this city, I get hit with a bunch of rocks. I managed to get two chips in my windshield in one week!
  • ben70ben70 Member Posts: 16
    edited October 2010
    We're looking at the Cube as a possible replacement for our aging Honda Odyssey. However the local Nissan Dealers don't seem to want to sell the Cube steering us to more expensive vehicles. The Cube would serve as our ONLY car for local use and some long-distance trips (less than 500 miles). PBS Motorweek recommends the Cube as a SECOND car rather than an ONLY car. Are any of you Cube owners using a Cube as your ONLY car? We can't afford a new Odyssey.
  • danielmovedanielmove Member Posts: 8
    My wife and I have owned our Cube for one year this next month. She drives it 80-100 miles per day commuting to and from work 5 days a week. In addition we have made 2 trips from East Texas to Virginia in it in the last year. The car has not had a single problem other then the one I mentioned in an earlier post regarding the keyless entry remote control device. I would highly recommend the Cube as a primary car. My wife loves hers and this is coming from a person that owned a Lincoln Aviator prior to purchesing the Cube.
  • thekingtheking Member Posts: 107
    edited October 2010
    Give me a break ! I own a 2010 sl with preferred package.....my only car...my late wife was very comfortable and she had many health issues that made her very uncomfortable in many new cars I tested and it is more solid that a 2006 Prius I owned. Get the preferred package...comes with the reverse camera....imho...the best safety feature you can have ! :shades:
  • ben70ben70 Member Posts: 16
    Does anyone know if Nissan plans to discontinue the Cube like in the UK due to disappointing sales? Personally I like the Cube - no "Chopped" roof like the Scion XB and Soul. Good visibility and practical space utilization. Excellent value.
    I hope not - I love to see these running around! I would be interested enough to think about buying one if there wasn't such deafening wind noise on the highway - I do a lot of highway driving.

I know dealers had a LOT of trouble moving these when they first came out - they had many leftovers into the new year that ended up being advertised at several thousand off sticker, which is a huge discount for such an inexpensive model.

• cubedrivercubedriver Member Posts: 1
    My wife just got a new cube a couple of weeks ago. I love this thing! It's comfortable, relatively quiet (given the shape), and drives extremely well for a small car. I'm driving it more often than she is...it's a fight for the keys every morning. If you're on the fence about a cube, go get one now!!!!
  • maryawmaryaw Member Posts: 22
    We bought a used 2009 Cube in Sept. 2010. It had only 8K miles on it. I am a short driver (5'2") and am able to adjust the driver's seat to accomodate me as well as the tall driver xcubecoffins. The shag bit came off the dash immediately and MDH took the gummy spot off with "GooGone". The VCT was a bit odd at first, but easy to get used to. With good driving habits, one can get good mileage (42 avg city/hwy)...most of our miles are highway. MDH loves the iPod connections and I love the big speakers. I saw a Soul in a parking lot the other day and feel the Cube is much larger. I like the ease of getting in and out - no hauling oneself out of a low bucket seat like in my Mustang - you know now I'm an older lady! All in all I like the Cube, and one last thing: the stability control is great in winter. :)
    I would be comfortable with the Cube as an only car. It's reliable, comfortable, and deals with all kinds of weather. We've driven it on two long trips and it was enjoyable. DO IT!
  • amille29amille29 Member Posts: 1
    I know this may be a little late but..... I basically live out of my cr. I drive it every day every where I go. No problems what-so-ever. I highly recommend it as a FIRST and ONLY car!
  • demojodemojo Member Posts: 1
    don't do it! I've owned my cube for 13 months & have been to the dealership for repairs too many times to count. At 15,000 miles I just got a new transmission, have had several new fan motors due to no heat last winter, need new tires, brakes, etc. This is NOT a good car to buy! So sad as I wanted this car so bad, but now it is our main vehicle & I don't trust it at all
  • puffdaddy2puffdaddy2 Member Posts: 1
    I have also had problems with glass. The first 7 days I had my new cube the back glass blew out. Just this weekend I shut the back door and the drivers side passenger window blew into the car. Has anyone else had these problems. I have had my car for just over 2 years. I also have problems with the check engine light coming on because of the fuel cap. My husband and I just started ignoring it.

Love it other than that. We use it as a hunting vechile. A 120 qt icechest fits nice in the back if you move the seat up just a little. we can also stack another one on top with a strap.
    Has anyone had trouble with the tire pressure indicator light coming on during long trips? We wondered if this was just a matter of the tires heating up. It does it every time :confuse: we're on a trip. We are driving a 2009 SL.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited July 2013
    that still owns and drives a Nissan cube? I am studying the car for eventual purchase and I don't know what would get in the way of that now. The car is different, which is something I like. Nissan calls the design asymmetrical.

wikipedia describes asymmetric this way:

Asymmetry is the absence of, or a violation of, symmetry.

Hum. The Nissan cube looks like another rolling box, much like the Kia Soul or the Scion xB, right? Wrong. Look closer, kimoslobby. It doesn't look the same. Look at how the designer made the lip coming out in the back.

Notice the lip coming up from the bottom? Ugly to some, but keep studying.

The windows are designed to look like picture frames. This is part of Nissan's design plan to make the cube a rolling version of your house. Sort of like the Foghat song 'Home in Your Hand', eh? Because if ghastly prices remain relatively low, we can take road trips. And my reading tells me from cube owners that the Nissan cube is a great road trip car. Nissan has purposely made the inside comfortable to be called "home" inside. Your home away from home, right? Take a look inside a cube for a moment.

Here's your sentry guard seat!

The cube driver/owner truly gets a warm and comfortable environment here in which to call home. Notice the simple electronic knobs at easy grabbing distance here. Nice. And it just feels "right" so to speak.

I like the red color and the silver color and I want the upgraded wheels

imageNissan is going with a nice, thick spongy-plastic steering wheel pictures here. It is a nice improvement from the old grey one pictured above

Vehicle-speed-sensitive electric power steering
    The power steering system will adjust sensitivity according to the speed you are traveling. It becomes easier to steer your cube at lower speeds. Like when you're twisting and turning the wheel downtown pulling in to parking spots. As you accelerate the system becomes more rigid, increasing feel and response.

This would be the part that you accelerate through the manual gearbox and open your cube up a bit to speed. Really appealing to me as I have been pining for the "feel" of a standard transmission gearbox again.

Here's a better picture of the cube's interior as it's sold today

The Nissan dealer in downtown El Paso has a 6-speed cube that has the factory stereo in it. They are not marking it up at all. They're selling it for $17,940. That is a good, fair price for the cube. It's in slate grey, I don't know if I like that color, but I need more time to evaluate. The Nissan dealer in Hobbs, NM, further away by about 75 miles, has two manual-trannied cubes for sale. One in red (yes!) and the other in blue, which does look great for the cube. They are marking their cubes up about $2,000, but I wouldn't need to pay that, either. Edmunds.com has helped me immensely understand how to be a good negotiator when buying a new car. I may even buy a used cube, there's a really good chance that, when I do decide to pounce and buy, my cube will be a used cube. There's lots of used cube's that look really good in the desert southwest area, too.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

I drive a 2009 Cube SL, bought used in 2010. What do I love about my cube?
    The unique look - no other car has the asymetrical back window. Scion people tell me I have more room behind the backseat than they do. I am short, but if you are tall there is TONS of headroom. The CVT is great and mileage for me has been better than expected. I love the seats - it's like getting in and out of a chair...no need to haul yourself up and out like in my low-slung Mustang. The stereo is WOW - I have the Rockford speakers and they are great...I'm hearing impaired so I really crank it up for total enjoyment.
    My husband did NOT like the Cube too well at first, but once we took our first road trip he was HOOKED. Since we bought used, we had to order the extra locking compartment that you can put behind the seats. With this extra, you have a flat surface with the back seats down and can load luggage, chairs, dog crates, whatever. AH YES, the headlights!!! I was having a lot of trouble driving at night in my old car...the Cube has great headlights and your driving position is nice and high so you don't get the oncoming headlights in the face so badly. THE BACK DOOR (liftgate) opens sideways like a real door so it's easy to open and shut if you have arthritic shoulders.
    SO>>>>once you get past the people who tell you it's UGLY, trust your instincts. It's not ugly, it's a cute car, does NOT feel boxy inside and has so many nice touches.
    One caveat: if you live in an area where you drive out in the open and there's a lot of wind, the Cube is sensitive to crosswinds. This does not bother us as we have both driven high-profile vehicles for ages. The only time I was ever blown off the road was when I had crosswinds and 100% ice-covered roads and I had no business being out there...however, the job I do is often not optional...I have to turn up.
    I hope this tells you something about how the Cube fits for an older couple (one retired, one not)...and YES I still have my Mustang but only drive it on beautiful summer days or intown in the evening.
    edited July 2013
    thanks for your input on the Nissan cube. The more I study this asymmetrical boxy vehicle from Nissan called the cube the more I like it and want one of my own. I want to at least test drive one so badly. We own a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS and I love the car. I am just starting to pine for a car where we'd sit up higher and I really love to shift through the gears myself. So this thing is not over yet for me, my wife is opposing any deals on a new or used cube at this time. Our '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS is all paid off so it's very attractive to just drive the car and enjoy it. We barely could afford to run two cars, though, so I'd need ta trade the Lancer in on either a new or used Nissan cube for the two of us.

I will just continue to study the car for the long haul. If ever we need a vehicle again I will definitely test drive a Nissan cube. The more I learn the more I love about the car and your post is just solidifying that fact, maryaw. Continue to drive and love your cube and please post anything postable about the Nissan cube in this thread so I can have more reason ta trade...I...I mean learn why I might want to trade in for a cube.

I would like to sit up higher than we do in the Lancer GTS and I would like a rig that doesn't shudder over the bumps like the Lancer GTS does, with it's high-performance, low-profile tires and suspension system. Don't get me wrong, the Lancer GTS handles like a dream in the corners and straigtaways, anywhere really. But it would be nice to sit up higher in the seat and to row my own gears again and also to take the bumps better. The Nissan cube takes the bumps and smoothes them out a tad better because of it's design, I think. I say I think because I'll not know that for sure until I test drive one.

It's gonna be a fun hunt, oh yes it is! :P

edited September 2013
    and guess what? I still want a Nissan cube! My best bet for a solid trade-in is over in Phoenix at Peoria Nissan. They have a 2013 Nissan cube S in Pearl White and 6-speed stick for only $15,960. That is going to be pretty hard to beat by anybody in New Mexico and Arizona. I'm in south-central New Mexico. I yearn to row my own gears again and this little wagon-buggy would be my entry vehicle to do that again. Anyone who owns a Nissan cube feel free to let me know how you like your cube.

edited September 2013

I must really want one of these because the thought of driving one does not seem to want to leave my mind!

edited October 2013
    I saw a pearl white Nissan cube heading east on 10st St. this afternoon and it looked great. I will continue to research this intriguing vehicle from Nissan Motor Company.