Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Am Electrical/Lighting Problems

Comments

• sfcp48sfcp48 Member Posts: 2
    My 2003 Grand AM power window buttons do not work on any of the doors. The main 4 buttons work on the drivers door and opens and closes all the windows on the passengers door. But none of the passengers windows will not work when any of the individual buttons are pressed on the doors. Need help on how to fix this problem, Thanks.
  • jkenjken Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 99 Grand Am for my son. The bright lights come on and are bright but, they shine real low to the ground. When on dim the lights look normal. The clear section of the headlights do look cloudy mostly on the upper section. Could this be the problem? These don't appear to be very cheap. Thank You.
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Is the window lock switch on the drivers window control panel in the wrong position?
    They aren't cheap. Try polishing the plastic lens with a good plastic polish like Novus. Many times the haze is on the outer surface only.
  • sfcp48sfcp48 Member Posts: 2
    No, none of the passengers windows work with the switch in either position
  • debi3debi3 Member Posts: 1
    My instrument panel is going crazy!!! I start the car and the gages do not work. a few miles down the road they will work and then a few miles later won't work. ?? this also effects the heater/ blower. Any ideas? Thank You.
  • sadie_carssadie_cars Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Pontiac Grand am and I don't know how to access the headlight assemlby so that I can change the buldb. Does anyone know how to do this ir where I can find some instructions? Thanks for your help.
    Possibly ignition switch.
    I would still suspect a problem in the drivers control panel lockout switch. It's just to coincidental that the windows all work from the drivers control but not from the individual controls. The switch could be broken, the wiring harness could be damaged or have a bad connection at the switch.
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    I would guess there is a problem with ground wire somewhere in cabin, that could cause intermitent failure
  • pwilliamkpwilliamk Member Posts: 21
    There are two pieces of metal that need to by pulled up to release the headlight housing. The two pieces are located directly behind the headlight housing. They are not that easy to lift since there is a catch that restricts movement. Regardless, once you have gotten to the point were you have been able to lift them, careful wiggle the housing out. The housing will still be attached via the various wiring harnesses that attach to the lights. Just remove the harness that you are interested in a replace the bulb. Reverse to reinstall. Just be careful with the black clasp that holds the main headlight, I broke that when I took it out.
  • ineedkelpineedkelp Member Posts: 1
    when i start my car the headlight light blinks then the service vehicle light comes on and one of my headlights dont turn on if its the relay i dont know where its located can anyone help
  • escheareschear Member Posts: 2
    I have a 96 se and nothing has worked in the dash for a few months now. before that the overdrive stopped working. when the gauges all died then the overdrive started working again. diognostic testing said there was no problems. seems to me that the grand am is an electrical nightmare. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated on account that I am now experiancing other electrical problems. eschear
  • rungermyrungermy Member Posts: 1
    Thanks so much for the advice. Pressing the hazard switch a few times brought my hazzards and turn signals back to life. I've been trying to figure this out for a week. Thanks again.
  • dachixdachix Member Posts: 2
    I have this same problem but upon further investigating my head lights on my 2000 grand am gt.I have found that there are 4 adjusting screws that push the light out on pull them back in.I tried to pull up on the speed clips to change my head lights but it seems like they dont want to move and the 2 closest to the side of the car wont move at all.Now I can adjust the screws so they push the headlight out but they dont release so I can change the lights.Is there anyone here that has any advice on this matter.I would appreciate it greatly.
  • dachixdachix Member Posts: 2
    I have this same problem but upon further investigating my head lights on my 2000 grand am gt.I have found that there are 4 adjusting screws that push the light out and pull them back in.I tried to pull up on the speed clips to change my head lights but it seems like they dont want to move and the 2 closest to the sides of the car wont move at all.Now I can adjust the screws so they push the headlight out but they dont release so I can change the lights.Is there anyone here that has any advice on this matter.I would appreciate it greatly.
  • granddammitgranddammit Member Posts: 1
    when i get in my 96 GA my dome light stays on longer than it should.If i put on my seat belt before i release car from Park light goes out as soon as i hit reverse.But, if i was to let a passenger out and the dome light comes back on when there door opens i have to go through the prossess of putting the car in park, take off seat belt, turn off ignition,and start over again,or ride around at night with dome light on until it WANTS to shut off!!! what do i do instead of taking a HAMMER to it?
  • gsxrkinggsxrking Member Posts: 1
    Just wondering if replacing the combination swith solved your issues? I have the same challenge with my '95 Grand Am. The tail lights and parking lights work, but no headlights. The high beams will work, but only as long as you are holding the lever back.

Any help would be appreciated.
    That pretty much fits the description of the combo switch problem.
  • barbstoy99barbstoy99 Member Posts: 8
    I changed my combination switch about two weeks ago and I haven't had ANY electrical problems since then. I didn't have any taillights, parking lights, or dash lights to start with. Sometimes the turn signals didn't work, that was intermittent. It wasn't that difficult to change either. I bought my replacement at Auto-Zone for $79. Good luck.
  • rlaxarlaxa Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I have the same problem. The tail lights and parking lights work, but no headlights. The high beams will work, but only as long as you are holding the lever back.
    Did replacing the switch solve your issues?
  • srl5522srl5522 Member Posts: 4
    Remove the top cover where your light switch and wiper control switch are. Remove the multifunction switch and clean the grease from a conductor strip located under the switch. The grease shorts something out, causing the clicking sound. If that doesn't work, clean the turn signal terminals where the wiring connector attaches (it's the middle connector).
  • dez70dez70 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 grand am GT 4-door. The Automatic sunroof only opens part way, or only closes part way. But sometimes works just fine. It seems it has something to do with what time of the day it is, so I think it also has something to do with the headlights, sence they are also daytime running headlights. Any help would be great, Thanks.
  • bill116bill116 Member Posts: 1
    Check the internet for gm recall 03043, 2000-2001 gran ams have a defective hazard switch with solder crack which opens intermittantly.
  • ventovento Member Posts: 3
    Hello: I have a 2000 Pontiac Grand AM, SE, 2.4. The Day Running Lights are not working.

I believe the problem may be, the Day Running Ligth Sensor.
    I would like to replace it myself.

If you have any information, about the location of the
    above sensor, please let me know.

Thank you very much.
  • brandi6brandi6 Member Posts: 1
    Mine is doing the same thing... It opens sometimes, usually when its hot outside.. then, gets stuck open for a few hours, sometimes all day and night! Did you figure out the problem?
  • toyman6toyman6 Member Posts: 1
    Hi 1 side brake lights are out. I check the fuse and change the bulbs. No fix. Any ideas? Thanks toyman
  • srl5522srl5522 Member Posts: 4
    The tail light is made of two major parts. The red part of the taillight and the part that contains the electrical conductors. The electrical conductors can get rusty and create an open circuit. You can get a broken taillight from a salvage yard with a good back to fix your taillight dilemma.
  • shocktherapyshocktherapy Member Posts: 1
    2000 Grand AM GT 2dr

The power unlock doesn't work from any switch on the passenger door. Lock works on it, but not unlock. I have checked both switches and the mechanisms, but those all work. My thoughts is that it is a single dead wire somewhere? It is none of the wiring in the passenger door but that's all I have checked. Anything else I should be looking for?
    Did you check all the fuses for the locking system? There's more than one, you can remove one to disable the unlock on the passengers door (or doors) if desired. It's for child safety, keeps the kids from unlocking the doors for those folks who can't control their children.
  • frusurffrusurf Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 grand am se. the car has been sitting for a few months so i think it acquired some gremlins. the problem is while driving, my interior lights, gauges turn off as if the car were off. then the srs and brake light come on then off. the actually head lights and taillights will be on still. shortly after the engine will just cut out. i have added fuel injector cleaner, new plugs, and new batt. seem to fix problem but then happened again even with the new batt. jumping gets it started sometimes but then shortly dies again. i even diconnected my amp from the battery to see if that was drawing power. help need my car. any one have any solutions???
  • rich61rich61 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 grand am that has a horn that does not work. the horn works when I use the remote entry but not when I hit the horn. My problem is that I can't figer out how to remove the airbag to get to the horn connections. any help out there
  • tina7814tina7814 Member Posts: 1
    While driving this morning all our warning lights in the dashboard came on, then started flashing and ticking. Then the gauges started flipping around and the car started to chug. Anyone know what that is? or what we can check? What it will cost to fix?
  • mistymorning16mistymorning16 Member Posts: 7
    Hi. I own a 2002 Grand Am. When starting the vehicle, none of the dashboard/running lights come on. This does not always happen. Sometimes it comes on normally. Sometimes it takes a few minutes for them to light up. Lately, they have not come on at all, but eventually they do come on. Does anyone know the cause of this? My mechanic has switched some of the sensors around, and suggested it could be ignition switch or the computer? Help.
  • ezdreamaezdreama Member Posts: 1
    1997 GAGT check engine light stays off when the key is in the ignition(on position) and the engine is off. It is the only dashboard light that malfunctions and never comes on. I've heard some mechanics say that I may need to replace the entire dasboard lights cluster vs. a single bulb because of the cluster's design. I'm not convinced. Is anyone familiar with this issue, and is there a cost friendly solution to getting this (Malfunction Indicator Light)bulb to illuminate?

The related OBD trouble codes indicate P0141 (O2 sensor heater circuit bank 1 sensor 2) and P0404 (Exhaust Gas Recirculation control circuit range)
  • minakominako Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering if you had any ideas how to fix our problem?
    My car has started to die on me now. I was told that it could be the fuel pump. It's in the shop now, so we'll see.
  • tantan Member Posts: 2
  • tantan Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Grand Am. The radio works fine but no time on the clock. I believe there is a wire or fuse that controls the clock separately from the radio so when the car is turned off the time keeps going. Anyone know which wire or fuse controls the clock. Also I have an extended GM warranty. Would the dealer fix it under the warranty?
  • jpraterjrjpraterjr Member Posts: 1
    Where the location of the body function or control module is located? How to solve the problem, of the dashboard running lights. Thanks
  • ginny13ginny13 Member Posts: 6
    My blinkers are doing that and they work when it is raining or cold and the airconditioning is doing the same thing you hit a bump and boom it comes on but not like it should , weak and intermittant.. wondering if i should get a new car and just let this expense go too.. would love to find out how much it would be to fix the signals .. :(
  • mistymorning16mistymorning16 Member Posts: 7
    I found the problem re the dashboard lights. I had the ignition switch replaced and it solved the problem.
  • polly4112polly4112 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 Pontiac Grand Am SE. Just recently the parking lights, tail lights, tag light and the gauge lights cut out but the headlights still work. I checked all of the fuses and none of them are blown. I tried playing around with the buttons and they still won't come on. They cut on every once in a while but usually cut right back off. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I went to all the local auto stores and they couldn't tell me what it was. I replaced all the fuses and light bulbs and they still are not working.
  • micwilliamsjmmicwilliamsjm Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone had any problems with there check engine light? My 2000 grand am, it came on and I had it checked at Auto Zone and the code came back small leak in the emissions. So, they said chances are it's the gas cap. Replaced the cap and reset the light, and 3 weeks later it's back on again, and the code came up the same thing. Any ideas from anyone on what this could be? Thanks!!
    Could be a leak somewhere else in the vapor recovery system if your getting the same code. You were putting on the cap tight enough until it clicks a few times, right?
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    3 clicks is usually good. Did the light come on shortly after re-fuel? New cap aftermarket that may not seal exactly right? Its my understanding that overfilling fuel tank (trying to get to exact dollar amount thing) may damage some evaporative systems. Is there a tether on cap that may be stuck underneath and preventing good seal? Mis-aligned cap? Just some thoughts on possibilities ;)
  • micwilliamsjmmicwilliamsjm Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for your responses. I usually turn the gas cap till it clicks 3 times. Last time I fueled up was last Wednesday and didn't fill it, just about 3/4 of a tank. The light came back on Tuesday of this week.
  • answer987answer987 Member Posts: 6
    My fog lamps doesn't work. Bulbs are fine. Fog lights switch inside the car doesn't light up. What could it be?
    Your high beams aren't on are they?
  • answer987answer987 Member Posts: 6
    The high beams works fine
    Then the places I would look in this order:
    Fuse (if a seperate fuse, not sure)
    Fog Lamp switch (is it really working)
    Relay

I asked about the high beams since the factory wired fog lamps will go off when the high beams are turned on.