Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Highlander Hybrid Accessories & Modifications

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
edited September 2014 in Toyota
This is the place to discuss changes and add-ons for your Highlander Hybrid.

Comments

• lanzadordelpanlanzadordelpan Member Posts: 3
    My dealer said that running boards were not available on the 4X4. I see that several posters here have them on their four wheel drives. Any comments?
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    Running boards are not a Factory installed option, but are available as either a PPO (post production option) or dealer installed option.

Hope this helps.

Ken
  • nsxwesnsxwes Member Posts: 84
    I had running boards installed at the port prior to delivery to the dealer. The running boards appear on the window sticker. I have a 4WDi Limited. The price was $650.

Wes
    Thanks, I'll talk to the dealer
    Thanks Wes. I'll try to find out what the discrepancy is all about.
  • nimhrodnimhrod Member Posts: 49
    So, has anyone determined whether there really is a tire pressur monitor, and does it give a readout per tire, or is it an "idiot light" that signals one tire is low?
  • tsotsitsotsi Member Posts: 98
    My understanding is that the Highlander tire pressure monitor is just another application of the wheel speed monitors that are also used for anti-lock brakes and stability control. The system is reset with the pressures at spec and after that any change in speed of one wheel relative to the others triggers the system. I think it is more useful as a warning system for an impending flat tire than as a tire pressure monitor. If you stick an unworn spare tire on one corner and the other three tires are worn it will probably trigger the system. It will have to be reset to accept the unequal wear.
  • fizbanfizban Member Posts: 42
    The system is reset with the pressures at spec and after that any change in speed of one wheel relative to the others triggers the system.

What happens when the system is "triggered"? Does the driver get an indication something's wrong?
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    Toyota uses two different systems to monitor tire pressure for the "low tire pressure warning" indicator for the vehicle. The 4-Runner and the HH for example actually have sensors built into the valve stems and they send a signal when any/all of the tires are below a specified threshold (I am still working on finding out the specifics on what that is) and it also includes the spare tire, which caused some confusion for a while when they switched over to this system. The RAV-4, on the otherhand uses the ABS sensors to sense a tire that has a smaller turning diamater than it's peers. One way to tell the difference in the systems is to look at the valve stems. On the vehicles with the sensors vs. the ABS unit, they have a large, silver valve stem vs. the normal black rubber ones that you normally see.

Hope this helps.

Toyota Ken
  • tsotsitsotsi Member Posts: 98
    On my Highlander, a tire pressure warning light is supposed to go on. It hasn't happened to me yet, so I am not sure it actually works. Just out of curiosity I searched for the reset button and found it very low on the panel below the steering wheel. I had to get down on my knees with the door open to spot it.
  • trstno1mdtrstno1md Member Posts: 3
    I've got three kids, and I'd like to be able to fit them all in the second row sometimes. I do have the 3rd row seat for most trips. Can anyone recommend a good booster seat that is also small enough to fit three across in the HH?
  • drinkingfrogdrinkingfrog Member Posts: 8
    Really, I don't know that the third row seat is large enough for three children with boosters. It's a fairly narrow seat. You may be able to fit two.
  • gazguzlergazguzler Member Posts: 137
    I think s/he said the 2nd row (there's no way to get three anything in the 3rd row). I have three $20 bosters (from ToysRus on our 2nd row. But I carpool with other kids at our school and I've had to put other models in there and they all seem to fit (though it is tight).
  • cdptrapcdptrap Member Posts: 485
    We regularly shuttle 5 children of varying ages (5-7.5) around. The kids all bring different brands of boosters and they all fit nicely in the second row. We put only 2 in the 3-rd row for safety reasons.
  • drinkingfrogdrinkingfrog Member Posts: 8
    Sure enough. Sorry about that. I'm getting my 2nds and 3s mixed up. :blush:
  • dnixcoloradodnixcolorado Member Posts: 1
    Just got my Limited AWD HH last Thursday. LOVE it! :)
    I now want to invest in a BRA or a front deflecter. Looking for people who have had one or the other.
    Also, need to put a 2" receiver on it. Should I go with Toyota, Uhaul, ???
    Third, and last, I need to put a dog barrier in. Any recommendations on models that will work with the 3rd row folded flat? Or should I just go to PetSmart and get the $60 special?
    Thanks!!
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    I dont recommend the vinyl bra for any car.. they vibrate in the wind as you drive and wear the paint. A plastic hood protector does just the same function without impinging on the integrity of the paint.

A new product out is a 'clear' bra by 3M... it's like what Toyota has on the bottom of your vehicle near the wheels as a stone shield. You can also have it put on the leading side of your mirrors.
  • bob259bob259 Member Posts: 280
    Go with the Toyota hitch. It's more $$ but the wiring and everything does not have to be 'cobbled' to fit or look good.. I've seen the Drawtite hitch on some and it looks out of place so I went with the Toyota and couldn't be happier. I also have the front bug deflector. I don't like the bras as they tend to wear on the paint and in some cases (dirty/sand conditions) ruin the pain if your not careful.
    Also, has anyone installed a cargo net on their HH? I don't see where the top loops would go.
    Here's a pic of the net
    but I don't have anything like that plastic handle in the back of my car.
    But I find many Toyota sites and the brochures saying this model net (pictured) is compatible with the HH.
  • jslatejslate Member Posts: 25
    Isn't that a hook just above the handle? If I remember right, my car has something like a hook in that location, too.

Jim
    I've got a lower hook but nothing remotely like the handle and two hooks above. In fact, there's no logical place to attach a net.
  • mmreidmmreid Member Posts: 88
    I had a cargo net in my Acura CL and loved it. When I bought the HH in Nashville, the dealer said the HH didn't come with one but he'd give me one free. But because of needing to get home to Florida that night, the dealership didn't have time to install it. When I got home I called my local Toyota place and they made an appointment to install it for me. Cost me $36 which I think would have been free if I'd had time to wait in Nashville that day from the dealer I bought it from.

Anyway, the point is that you can't just install it - they had to drill holes. My husband might have been able to do it but after just having paid $40,000 for a vehicle, I didn't want to run the risk of the hole not being drilled in the correct spot. The most interesting part of the installation was the response of the service department - my HH was the very first one they'd ever seen there! This was back in June.

I love my cargo net because it acts as a barrier to keep stuff from rolling around. I actually like the way this one works better than the one in my Acura. It's not always used - but it is easy to take off or put back on. As the main person who gets the groceries and runs the majority of errands in our house, it's a definite good thing to have. But I would definitely have the dealership drill the holes - if someone is putting holes in your vehicle, let them be the ones liable!

mmreid
  • jslatejslate Member Posts: 25

This is what mine looks like. It is a Limited version, and came with the net, so don't know if it was added on at the dealer or what. I've never actually used it, yet.

Jim
    Hey thanks for the photo - whats that burning cigarette doing behind the belt buckle? :-). That black hook must be drilled in after. I've got the LTD, too, loaded. But service must go and drill for that. Just north of it is a cover for a screw and that seems a better place. But it's all too far back for me. I'll send a photo of what I've done and it give me more space. I hate these hatches that open UP. It's useless. My old Runner and the new Landcruisers have tailgates that are so useful for many things but also stop cargo falling out. Whenever you open the hatch it's like a jack-in-the-box of stuff tumbling down.
    I agree, these tailgates do allow cargo to sometimes fall out when opening. However, it's great in bad weather. I've been to rainy football/soccer games, and it's great being able to sit and watch under the hatch. It also gives you more time to sort through your cargo before unloading.
    You can have the glass half hatch up for this but the tail must go down . . . or stay where it is. With a tail, you can leave it up and reach over and grab stuff out.

Who's every heard of a hatchback party? :-)
    Alright, now I'm really confused. I was under the impression that the back glass is fixed. ie. it does not flip open or go up and down like my ForeRunner.
  • discussion1discussion1 Member Posts: 103
    Hi nimhrod,
    You are right, the rear hatch window is fixed. I think Gaz was jesting :-).
    -d
    sorry for confusion. i was replying to previous poster and we were discussing the merits of hatchbacks and tailgates. i wasn't saying that the hh can do this. i was saying the way things 'should' be.
  • pearlanderpearlander Member Posts: 8
    Interesting mods offered by Toyota in Japan for the HiHy. It would be nice if they made them available here.

http://toyota.jp/klugerhybrid/dop/package/index.html

What appearance and accessory additions and/or changes have folks made on their HiHy? Now that I had mine for a month now, wondering what options are out there?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Probably an AWD RX400h but....

A) Convert to RWD torque biasing with an electronic modification to fool the VDIM firmware into thinking the front wheels slip/spin each time the accelerator pedal is depressed or depressed "farther".

B) Use a Honda EM7000I genset to continuously charge, recharge, the hybrid batteries.
    I found a booklet in Toyota parts dept. for accessories for the non-hybrid version of our vehicle when I was getting my 5,000 mile tune-up and I seem to recall there is an insert for the back (when both rows of seats are folded down) that is really nice if you have a couple of dogs or are using it to haul stuff. My neighbors have an Acura SUV and two huge canines and use theirs a lot. I would probably get the insert if I didn't already have my "old" pick-up.

We had an operator error when my husband was setting up the third row of seats when our grandkids were visiting. Somehow he managed to catch his right hand pinky in the seat mechanism and it was bent a way nature did not intend. He's in a splint for a few more weeks. . .but bad design is not to blame, more like his spacing out for a minute.

For those who haven't bought the HH yet, there is a cargo cover hidden under the carpet in the back of the vehicle. I forget it's there sometimes when we've stored it, but it does provide privacy from the back of the second row of seats to the door. I also had a cargo net installed which I love. Dealership gave it to me for free when I bought the car but the local guys charged me $36 to put it in since I hadn't bought the HH from them. I does help to keep stuff from rolling around and perfect for small bags and groceries when shopping. I also bought a reflective windshield sunscreen for it on line - I was surprised Toyota didn't make on but it was about $26 and the one for the regular Highlander fit perfectly. I live in Florida so it's not really an accessory but a necessity.

mmreid
  • 8241582415 Member Posts: 38
    Has anyone ever used one these hitch-mounted boxes? Summer vacation is coming up and with 6 passengers in the HiHy I think one of these and/or a roof box will come in handy. Would appreciate any past experience.

http://www.sportomotoring.com/stowaway2.html
    Thanks for the hitch-mounted box idea. I will look into that.

We use Thule roof-mount box and it works well. Had to move the front cross bar all the way to the front of the roof rack because the front of the cargo box flexed and banged on the roof.
  • upstateny5upstateny5 Member Posts: 62
    We used one of those SEARS roof mounted storage units going from northern NY to Florida. No problems but the weight did reduce the mpgs about 4 to 5 miles to the gallon - much of that could be attributed to the cold temps. The impact on mileage was less obvious on the return trip.
  • ktmcgktmcg Member Posts: 6
    We used a hitch mounted cargo carrier (Rola-bought from http://www.etrailer.com
    -who had the best prices) and loved it. Fit the back packs and duffle bags for 5 and was perfectly weather tight. After much research we chose the Rola one for looks, price, and the weather proof aspect.
    Bought the base Highland Hybrid in November and drove it to Florida in April in the rain and it was perfect. Eliminated the roof based hard top (as I am just too short), already own a soft one but that wasn't going to cut it in the rain. We were looking at these before we even took delivery on the Higlander as we were down sizing from a Grand Caravan and still need to be able to pack stuff to travel. The one we bought holds 250 lbs. Need a business address for truck delivery unless you can find it locally. There are two options, the first is the base model, the other is the swing away option. We almost ordered the swing away but ordered the base. You can open the rear door with the carrier attached- we were thrilled.
    The advantage of the rear mount cargo carrier is that we didn't kill our gas mileage as any roof mounted system may do, in fact we averaged the highest mieleage that we have gotten overall. In the 28 mpg area.
    Thanks a million, Ktmcg. Your response was exactly what we were looking for, especially whether you could open the rear hatch with the box in place :) . We downsized from a Previa so our need are similar.

Thanks again and hope your information will be helpful to others as well.
    Thanks ktmcg, extremely helpful, we will switch to back-cargo now knowing the gate can open with the box in place.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Please keep in mind that as you add weight at the rear, in this case EXTENDED beyond the rear, you are lifting, "unweighing" the front. That will result in your being much more subject to loss of directional control with hydroplaning or on any slightly slippery surface.

That also may be why 28MPG was achieved, less front tire frictional surface contact with the roadbed.
    Thanks for heads-up. Will keep this in mind.

I believe the "tow" part is OK, but I will have to calculate the GVW to ensure we do not overload the HH.

The maximum box weight is no more than 325-lbs on the hitch and the car & hitch is rated for 3500-lb towing load, so the suspension should be fine. It will be like towing a 325-lb load with little friction (no tires) :).

My wife will really appreciate the lower height and ease of access. We cannot use this box in tight areas but it will be extremely handy in wider spaces.
  • nomorebenznomorebenz Member Posts: 109
    Be careful not to confuse the towing capacity with the tongue load capacity, especially with these boxes. Tongue load is the downward force that the hitch can bear. On the towing prep Highlander the weight max is 350lbs. Here's a link with a decent explanation of hitch classes and types.
    http://www.hitches4less.com/trailer-hitch-classes.html

BTW those Rola say they are intended for min. 5,000lb/500lb Tongue Load hitches.
    Yes, excellent point! Thanks again!

I just measured the hitch and it is not a 2-inch, so we cannot use the Rola anyway. 2-inch is normally class 3 as you mentioned. Ours is around 1.25, I think, a class 2 or lower. All our trucks have 2-inch so I forgot to even check.

The Rola on-line stated max weight at 250-lb so I liberally added some 70-lb of mounting hardware and such. In practice, the total weight of the box may only be 300-lb max, well within class II spec. But all is moot because it needs 2-inch and we ain't got it.

Looks like a Thule again...
    cdtrap,

Check this link out, it has the hitch box for 1.25
    http://www.stowaway2.com/item.asp?ProductID=4
    Thanks, it will work. Payload is down to 150-160 lbs but we can adapt.
    As we drove in absolutely pouring rain through at least two states, it really was never an issue. We do have the 4 wheel drive option and they all have the anti-skid feature so maybe that is why it wasn't an issue. Saw the curvy road light come on once which I'm guessing is the anti-skid feature. The maximum load recommended for the cargo carrier box we used (Rola) is 250 lbs. And that is fine for the maximum tongue weight which I believe is 500 lbs (without checking it again).
    The biggest issue for the extended rear was remembering it when parking because you cannot see it. Having driven larger vehicles it wasn't a big deal for us but it was something we tried to stay concious of at all times (parking, switching lanes, backing up, etc.)
    Did you have the hitch installed as an option or put on later? Really just curious. Ours was an option and it came with the 2" hitch not the smaller. The Rola cargo carrier (on etrailer.com) is made for the 2" and holds 250 lbs of cargo. The link for the other brand is for a 1 1/4 " hitch receiver I believe.
    Scratch my last response as I didn't read carefully and you'd already discussed the size of your hitch. My mistake-sorry.
    I found the cover for the Highlander (not hybrid) at Petsmart and bought it but it was definitely too small. Box was labeled for the Highlander specifically (and several other SUVs) but it was so tight I figured if anyone sat on it the thing would burst apart. Took it back (it was the Medium) and exchanged it for the Large which may or may not fit. Too busy running around on a super hot
    Florida day to stand in the parking lot and see if it worked. Wondered if all the second row seats are the same in both regular Highlander and HH? Mine is the Limited with leather seats - are there different ones? When I ordered my windshield sunscreen I got the regular Highlander one and it fit perfectly.

mmreid
    My wife bought one for the "heated seat" Highlander and it fits perfectly on all the seats, handles and headrests of our Ltd version. It has all the appropriate openings and holes for latches on the 2nd bench. There is even a casing for the 2nd bench middle fold-down "handle". The casing even has an opening for the little flip-open cargo box in that handle.

She bought it at a Toyota Dealership, brand unknown. The sales rep there pointed her to it. You may want to check a dealership??

It cost us $35 (CA).
    I called the Toyota dealership this morning and all they could offer me was a custom made seat cover at around $120! They didn't have anything for $35.

mmreid
This discussion has been closed.