Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Tucson Real World MPG

124»

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It would probably help to first establish a baseline of 3,000 miles or more. My first 13 tanks went from 17 to 19 to 14 to 11 (several tanks) to 20, back to 14, then up to 24 around the 3,000 mile mark. Some of that was breaking in I think, and some was because I was doing city driving in an Anchorage winter.

Or check back with us with your winter/summer mpg ratings I guess. Other than seat of the pants testimonials from users, K&N itself makes no general fuel economy claims.
  • samm43samm43 Member Posts: 195
    Thanks for saying.

I have serviced many bikes and there was a real pattern with the ones that came in that had the factory airbox type K&N filters. On the 'clean' side of the filter box you could always see more dust that continued up the intake tracts enroute to the CC, than on bikes that had OEM filters. Not good.

Sam
  • buerkletucsonbuerkletucson Member Posts: 21
    edited March 2011
    Cool a fellow biker............Me too!
    Had many of them but current ride is the GL1800 Goldwing.

I agree.......that's where I first learned the TRUTH about K&N air filters.
  • samm43samm43 Member Posts: 195
    edited March 2011
    Pleased to meet you. I love Honda's big flat six. And you can really thrash it if you want. It has an extremely sturdy and competent chassis, clearance being about the only limitation to keep you in check. The first time I rode one, I broke the rear tire loose at about 10 mph in first coming out of a rolling stop right turn at a light. Granted the pavement was a very smooth polished type that had a lot of concrete dust on it i think from a nearby plant, but I couldn't believe what a torque monster it was. I wasn't trying to accelerate hard at all. Short-shifting them is the best way get respect from another rider who thinks they can beat it in a 1/4 mile dash.

I guess Honda must be considering an all new GL soon? That one is in its 10th year this year I think.

Have a real fun and safe season coming up. ;)

Sam
  • fannibalfannibal Member Posts: 23
    edited March 2011
    Everywhere online I've seen says the 2011 Tuscon still has the same 2.4L I4 as the 2010, the 2.4L I4 with Gasoline Direct Injection is only in the 2011 sonata, not the 2011 tucson.
  • banderson875banderson875 Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2011
    I'm in almost exactly the same position you are. I drive about 10 hwy miles to work and back everyday, with very little in town driving, and the best I can get is about 20.1mpg. The best I every got was 23 on a full tank of gas on a trip back from MN to IA and this was with a 10-15mph tail wind and cruise set at 63 for 2+ hours. The lowest I got was around 18.5 for a tank. I've filled my tires close to their max 42psi rather than the door sticker of 33psi, and that has yielded about an extra 1.5mpg, but even then, my combined mpg for this new car is 20.1 for the first 2000 miles. I don't believe the break-in period either, this is my 3rd brand new car and none of them have ever got much better after the 2nd tank. There is something wrong with this car, I'm taking it in to the dealer tonight, and demanding satisfaction, or I'll be filing a suit or selling/returning the car, this is simply unacceptable for a small 4cyl car.
  • buerkletucsonbuerkletucson Member Posts: 21
    With the warmer weather and vehicle now having a few thousand miles on it my gas mileage is exceptional. It's been slowly getting better since the day I purchased it.
    I'm now getting better than the published MPG numbers of 21/28 MPG.

2011 Hyundai Tucson AWD GLS
    (80 - 90% Highway miles)

I'm now getting consistent 28+MPG per tank. The last tank was 29.2MPG!
    I'm very happy with the MPG numbers and the vehicle overall.
    Excellent vehicle...........couldn't be happier.
  • 93949394 Member Posts: 74
    i would be real unhappy to get these numbers, are they from the trip computer or your own calculation?

2016 eSoul - All Electric - Zero Emission
  • thundercat3thundercat3 Member Posts: 4
    I have gotten my mileage up a little. Someone gave me a tip. I had to take my car into the dealer because the fuel door was stuck shut. While waiting I spoke with a gentleman who had the same model as I and drives the same roads that I do, at the same speeds, who said that he gets 28-31 mpg!! He said that he uses the automatic shifting. So I have starting doing this and I have gotten up to 23.5 mpg by my calculations AND the trip computer. It's not great, it's not what is advertised, but it's better than the 19-20 mpg that I was getting. Again, like you I know that there is something wrong with our cars! I really wish we could do something to make Hyundai address this. Good Luck at the dealer's today
  • orbit9090orbit9090 Member Posts: 116
    "...unacceptable for a small 4cyl car"?

What small 4-cyl car are you talking about?

I thought this forum was in regards to the big & tall, 3,400 lb. Tucson SUV.

A 1975 Honda Civic or a 2011 Mazda-2 are "small" cars.
  • virgochamvirgocham Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2011
    Hi - I am also in the same position - the gas mileage is pretty horrible (~17 MPG city, 22-23 MPG Highway). I took my car to the dealer and they just looked at what the computer reading states and said that everything appears to be fine. The computer reading (for average MPG) has never been correct and I calculate gas mileage by actual miles driven and the total gas filled for the same. Were you able to do anything about your car? Please give some tips to how to deal with the dealers.

Thanks.
  • banderson875banderson875 Member Posts: 6
    I've just passed 5000 miles, still getting very poor mpg. Around 17/20 city/hwy the comuter has shown 24 on highway for short times, but once I hit a hill or some wind the mpg suffers major. I have noticed that this car is extremely sensitive to wind and terrain and speed. On a flat road with no wind going 60mph I could maybe get 26, but how often does that happen. AllI know for sure is I will not be buying another hyundai, I've even considered cutting my losses and trading in on a chevy equanox. FYI, I also calculate by miles driven and gallons used, Ibe found the computer to be close enough for my taste, but never accurate. I truly am getting better mph with my colorado truck, 5cyl and much less areodynamic. All in all, not a hyundai fan.
  • joekokamo101joekokamo101 Member Posts: 1
    i too was conned on the gas mileage to expect. I rarely go over 50 mph (80 kms) mostly highway driving and have never got over 25 mpg and I have had car two months now and about 2400 miles on it....
    The 2.4 l lacks power on long hills and pulling power with 4 adults.
    the exterior finish is ok and other then the polished alluminum inside finish is ok also.
    the sun roof is extremely noisy at any speed
    For the price......$340000 canadian it isn't worth it....it is just a glorified roller skate with poor rear visibility....
    The current trade in value is only $25000 so I have lost big bucks in two months...They don't hold their value like Toyoto and Honda.....
    Never again Hyundai.....
  • chiefjameschiefjames Member Posts: 1
    It's pretty silly how many people never talk to their dealers and get emotional very quickly. The new Hyundais are known for extremely long break in periods, mine took well over 6000 before it broke in properly and started getting near correct mileage (both reading and calculation). Don't judge an engine so quickly, especially after 2400 miles.

The 2.4l should be around 176 horsepower and 170 ft/lb of torque, I don't know what you are expecting, but that is definitely on par or better than the competition and will definitely get up hills quick enough. It's no sports car, but it's definitely not sluggish. Again, you are judging an engine that's only 2400 miles old, and the new Hyundai's have extremely long break in periods.

Don't judge an engine until it has at least 6000-7000 miles. If you traded it in, you made a sore mistake and cost yourself 10000 for no good reason. Patience is a virtue, and unfortunately for you, it cost you big bucks.

Even Toyotas and Hondas would lose similar amount in trade in value. Cars have a massive drop in price after the first year, and then lose slowly afterwards. Of course the Toyota/Honda's hold value a bit better than Hyundai, but in the first year everyone takes a similar hit. The reason being that buyers will not buy a car price that is close to a new car price, so the first year drop is always huge.
  • zaragarzaragar Member Posts: 1
    My Tucson has been driven for 11,400 miles.In all the time since purchasing the car(even after the 6000 miles) my mileage has remained in the 18/24 mpg range calculated by mileage run and gasoline consumption.Forget computer generated data.It has never been completely accurate.Even during long freeway driving in great conditions ie no wind,rain,65mph etc... the best has been 24mpg.I have been patient and today took the car to the dealer! They fed me the story that mpg advertised is based on testing done by the govt. in ideal conditions,indoor yada yada. I bought this model based on their advertised mpg.Traded a sports car with better mileage and certainly better horsepower.I did not expect perfection,at least 28-29 mpg on the hwy! This is my first and last Hyundai...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter would like to speak to Hyundai and Kia owners who agree or disagree with the latest controversy over MPG. If you own a Hyundai or a Kia and would like to speak to a reporter about your experience with your car's fuel economy, please send your daytime and evening contact info to pr@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, November 6, 2012 at 8 a.m. PT/11 a.m. ET.
  • elefanlisaelefanlisa Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2012
    I purchased my 2012 Tucson in May 2012. It has just over 6,000 miles on it. I usually get 24-25mpg and that's based on my own calculations of the miles put on between fill ups divided by the # of gallons pumped in to fill the tank. I have left the eco setting on from the beginning. It took me a while to get used to the change in performance, but now I hardly notice it. The claim for this model is 21 city/30 hwy mpg and most of my driving is a cross between city/hwy so I'm near the middle of the mpg range. The mpg calculation on the car's computer is always about 2mpg higher than what it actually should be. I reset it every time so that is misleading. I haven't yet taken it on a road trip where I use an entire tank on the highway. I'm guessing it would probably get about 27-28mpg. Still below the 30mpg Hyundai claims.
  • dustin79dustin79 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone else pissed about Hyundai nmpg claims???? OF COURSE!! What kind of crossover looses 5-10 mpg for simply having some added weight? How crappy are the engineers at Hyundai?? Great design and nice to drive but screw the mpg claims.
  • dustin79dustin79 Member Posts: 2
    Forget about high 20s if you have anyone with you or have anything weighing more than a brick in the back. Just got 21.7 on a three hour trip.
  • blackamishblackamish Member Posts: 1
    Have you gotten your information for the hyundai mile per gallon program? I have and just received my "debit" card. The idea is to give Hyundai owners some type of compensation for the "false" claims regarding the mpg. I'm really disappointed with Hyundai because they send you a debit card that you cannot use at an ATM --- hence, no cash. You can't even pay at the pump with the card. They make it seem that they've done us a huge favor, when they actually have caused me even more inconvenience.
  • philverphilver Member Posts: 1
    So I know that everyone with the 11 and 12 Tucson got reimbursed for poor fuel consumption, however my 2010 is equally as horrible and I am not seeing any real concern from Hyundai on this. I have a case opened, and the customer service lady seemed real willing to help and contact my local dealer, who wasn't very willing to help, saying that if there are no error codes, there is nothing they can do to check for fuel economy issues. Well, after 2 weeks of delay from the CS lady, she is now saying the exact same thing as them and that if I want an actual Consumption Test, I would have to pay for that as it is not covered under warranty. I never get more than 19 in the city with realistic numbers of about 17. Highway? I have never seen it get above 21. If we are just using the readouts on the dash, but I regularly calculate the city driving and it never comes out higher than 17-19 so the computer checks out with my arithmetic.
    I am really disturbed by this. I have spoken to Santa Fe owners, with 6 cylinders, who get 27 all day long in the city. I got rid of an expedition, twice the size physically, as well as engine in hopes of saving money on gas. This car is really not much better than that dinosaur I had. Anyone else with 2010 Tucson having similar issues?
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968

Bought my 2014 SE for the features and the way it drove...knew going in that the mileage was't the greatest but hoping to see an increase by the time I hit the 6k mark. The 2.4 engine has enough power for me and has taken whatever I have thrown at it with ease. So I just enjoy the ride and try to not to think about the lousy mileage figures as compared to the other crossovers in the marketplace. I drove a Kia Sorrento last week and though it had over 4400 on the clock, it seemed to get much better mileage figures than my smaller engine Tuscon so I'm hoping things will improve a bit here!

_The Sandman :)B) _

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)