Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Element Real World MPG

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
edited May 2014 in Honda
Please post about your Element gas mileage. Please include info about city/highway miles driven, your driving style or anything else you think may help others compare their mpg to yours.

Steve, Host

Comments

• dweiserdweiser Member Posts: 288
    18.21 m.p.g. at 237 miles, lowest recorded.
    25.20 m.p.g. highest recorded.
    "Average" seems between 20 and 22 m.p.g.
    It's an AWD automatic.
    I live in the mountains of western NC and ALL driving is on twisty roads with many ups & downs. I hardly ever get it out on 4 lane highways. I'm 60 years old so I don't hot-rod in "Watson" but I'm not a slow driver either. My other car is a 2006 Porsche 911.
    Hope this helps.
  • honda67honda67 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2006 AWD EX Auto and am getting what I consider poor m.p.g. Currently have 1,600 miles on it and am "hoping" time may improve overal m.p.g. ??? Love the car but very disappointed in m.p.g. so far.
    I drive almost exculsively in town miles and never push it too hard.
    City 16 m.p.g.
    Mixed 18 m.p.g.
  • takytaky Member Posts: 13
    I'm in Los Angelos. Get an average of 21 MPG. Best was 24. There are times I just switch to neutral and let it slide to stop in front of a red light, or slide down a hill.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Coasting in gear is fine but I bet it's illegal in California to coast in neutral for safety reasons. Some say you use less gas coasting in gear than in neutral and that it may harm your automatic transmission.

cosmo, "VW Passat TDI" #895, 8 Aug 2005 1:02 pm

On driving in neutral Grist

Top 10 Tips for Improving Your Fuel Economy

Steve, Host
  • lewisinbecketlewisinbecket Member Posts: 5
    I have an AWD 5SP '03 EX with +/- 40K miles. I reside in the Northeast and approximate my driving to be 50% highway / 40% suburban & 10% city.

With the OEM tires (Wranglers), I would average 26-27MPG, which includes highway speeds of 70MPH. I had a personal best of 28.5MPG.

After switching to Yokahama Geolanders, my MPG dropped to 24.5 - 25.5, with a personal best of 26.5MPG.
    I had read several blogs prior to purchasing the tires and anticpated the drop in mileage. The E rides and handles SO much better (and quieter) with the new tires, that I gladly accept the slight decrease in MPG.
  • balticjetta18tbalticjetta18t Member Posts: 146
    04 EX AWD automatic... Even with the old Goodyears vs. new Bridgestone's. 35 mile roundtrip commute each day mostly highway. Errands on weekends. 26,700 miles now. Purchased with 25,600 miles. Have tracked mileage from start.

Just ordered a new K&N Air Filter as the factory filter is due for replacing @30k. Supposedly the power and economy will do a bit better with this K&N Filter. At 3 bucks a gallon, anything to increase mileage can pay for itself quicker these days.

Will post an economy report later once I log some #'s with the new filter system...
  • bigdansabigdansa Member Posts: 1
    06 LX AWD. I have around 2,200 miles on it now, and the mileage has been remarkably consistent since day 1. I tried driving it hard for one tank, and then backed off for the next , and only noticed a 1 MPG difference. Maybe I just don't really drive all that hard.

Once the warranty is up, I'm considering adding the 6th gear there is space for and seeing how much that helps. It'll be a while though.
  • ajzahorskiajzahorski Member Posts: 1
    Had a 2005 EX AWD 5-speed manual (great car) just traded it for a shiny new 2007 EX AWD 5-speed automatic. Lots of nice little changes on the 07, mainly the 5-speed automatic. tranny.
    05' AWD manual best 26 MPG worst 21.5 (and I drove it hard)
    07' AWD automatic only one tank so far 23 MPG
  • earthearth Member Posts: 76
    First tank full, only City driving. No heavy footed. Used same pump, same gas station...07 SC Automatic

17.56 MPG City ( 218 miles total on car at this time )
  • rlanerlane Member Posts: 2
    I drive lot for work on both highway and secondary roads. I have a 2003 EX auto all wheel drive. I have never had a car that got worse milage on the highway than in the City till now.
  • ragetsragets Member Posts: 63
    I'm looking into a 2007 Honda Element EX 4wd how's your guys gas milage and do you know of any tips to achieve better milage?
  • lawrancelawrance Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 EX ranges from 19.5 to 20.9 MPG with mostly city driving and a fairly aggressive foot. I have on long freeway trips achieved 24+ but I usually drive 75-85mph. Coming from an Isuzu Axiom that got 16mpg and an Isuzu Trooper that got 13-14mpg, I'm very satisfied with the milage I get.
  • mpolompolo Member Posts: 3
    I've gotten anywhere between 21 and 25 MPG in my automatic AWD Elephant. My average is around 23 MPG.

My driving is about 55% Highway, 40% country backroads, and 5% city traffic.

I'm an aggressive driver - jack-rabbit starts and tight corners. I won't speed up to a light or stop sign, tho'. I instead coast a bit before applying the brakes.

I got my worst mileage carrying a new 275-gallon oil tank home from 45 miles away. It was sticking out of the open liftgate. I got stuck in gridlocked Boston traffic the same week. This was late Autumn.

My best milage was a week I drove country roads almost exclusively. Average speed was about 45 MPH. This was in early Summer without AC.

Country-road driving at 40 MPH returns better gas mileage than highway driving at 70-75 MPH.

Using the AC consumes a little less gas than open windows on the highway. On country roads, the reverse is true.

I've still the original Goodyear Wrangler tires at 44,000 miles. They need to be replaced soon. However, the original brakes are doing fine.

The Hankook AT RH08 look like decent replacement tires. They're not made in 215/70R/16, so it will have to be 225/70R/16. I'm hoping their lower rolling resistance will improve the gas mileage a bit.

Marco
  • pasicznykpasicznyk Member Posts: 2
    Hey Everyone,

I recently bought an 04 Element with about 22,000 miles on it. I picked this vehicle because of the great gas mileage and cargo space, ect... I've calculated the MPG over the past 4 months that I've had the vehicle and found that I only get about 12.5 MPG. What's wrong? What would be robbing me of MPG? Any help would be great, thanks.
  • cwalticwalti Member Posts: 185
    ...maybe your math?

Are you putting every 175 miles 14 galllons of fuel in the tank?
  • pasicznykpasicznyk Member Posts: 2
    I think my math is correct. My last fill was about 12.7 gallons of fuel. The mileage on the tank was 155.5 miles. 155 divided by 12 = 12.9 MPG. Any other ideas what could be doing this?? Thanks
  • wildbillwildbill Member Posts: 12
    You have to be doing somthing wrong in you calculations or else be driving in 1st gear all of the time!
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    i think i know whats wrong...how much you fill the tank up with! The elements fuel tank has got to be at least 14 gal...
    The tank is 15.9 gallons. On my last two tanks I've gotten 25 mpg (mostly city) and my most recent tank 30 mpg (All highway, little bit of city). Mine is a 2007 4wd EX. Gets pretty good, I guess. :D
  • mikemir87mikemir87 Member Posts: 2
    Is it really 15.9? Because when its bone dry gas light and all (like last night) the max i can put in is like 12.3 Gallons...
    As for MPG's
    i have beefier tires which may cause an issue but this past winter i was getting like 18-19 mpg as an average with mix of highway and city driving, but lots of traffic in RI so..

but the past month or so my average has gone up. two weeks ago i got 21.5 mpg and i was shocked and siked and this week i got 22.2!!! this week had a bit more highway but still, that was huge. To the tank i got 275.5 miles which was a record...my usual is 240 which is decent and my lowest this winter was like 212, and i wasnt happy about that at all...But ive been thinking about maybe trading it in due soley to mpg and it seems like it knows and is getting better so i keep her lol... :blush:
    My last tank I got 356 miles. I am on mostly highway and very little city and I still have the stock tires. My car isn't even really broken in yet!
  • dslightamdslightam Member Posts: 12
    Stock tires, 30k miles. I love this vehicle but MPG is the one thing that makes me feel guilty about buying it. Yeah, I know, I know ,it's not THAT bad, but it's not all that much better then the cars I owned growing up. Granted it's a huge rolling box, my dog loves it, the wife and I can sleep in it on a futon (!)...but still.

Sometimes I kid myself that taking out the back seats will reduce the weight and increase the MPG. The best MPG I ever got was 27mpg on a road-trip that was 90% hwy and actually had a Yakima box on the top! Weird. I have an 11 mile commute. Usually I get 24. I'm not an aggressive driver but I have my moments.

BTW, I think the tank is 15.9 gallons (according to the manual) but the gas light comes on at about 12 gallons.
  • lablover2lablover2 Member Posts: 115
    hi everyone, i am looking at a used 2007 and am hoping that it gets better mileage than most of you are stating. should i assume that the 2007 because of the 5sp auto trans will do a little bit better? the one i am looking at has only 5,000 miles on it-wondering if gas mileage is why they got rid of it.
  • sr0211sr0211 Member Posts: 1
    07 Element SC Automatic. City only driving, I have been getting around 18 mpg just about each time I go to the pumps. Not a heavy footer, or breaker. 1,000 miles on OD at this time after 5 months of ownership. ( I only drive about 200 miles per month )
  • jdarseyjdarsey Member Posts: 1
    20,800 miles on odometer, I get 20mpg, replaced stock tires after 11,000miles *grumble*
  • 1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    Filled ours up yesterday...We got 23.5mpg, with mostly city driving on this last tank.

This vehicle typically only gets driven to and from work by my wife, and stays garaged the rest of the time. I have only had it on 1 highway trip since we got it 15 months ago, and we got 26 mpg on that trip if I recall correctly.
    I was so mad this past week about my MPG!!!!!!
    I went and stayed at my friends house, who lives in Wheeling, West Virginia. I only got 14 MPG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have never gotten that bad of MPG. My best was 30, all highway.
    I hope not every time I drive in the city I will get that bad of mileage.
    I just hit 1,040 miles on my '07 EX 4wd Auto.

I wonder what went wrong. :cry:
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    24.8 mpg
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    22.4 MPG
    Drove my Element ('06 4wd, Auto) on a 360 mile (each way) trip to the beach. Trip consisted of a mix of highway, and back roads. Used the a/c part of the way, and had the windows down for part. Just me and my wife, and 2 weeks worth of crap (stuffed to the gills). We got 27mpg each way.
    22.1 MPG
    You drive yours alot.
    Bought the car July 30th with about 50 miles on it, have around 850 on it now so i guess i do.
    22 mpg.
  • crazedcommutercrazedcommuter Member Posts: 281
    Hey Tundradude,

Did you get rid of the XB? I just turned 70K on my 05 and I'm looking for a possible replacement. I just got back from a 500 mile trip to Pittsburgh and avg'd 33 mpg with the auto Box.

I looked at the Element but 22 mpg is a little low for me. I like the flexible interior of the Element and dealers around here seem willing to deal on them.

How do you like your new rig?
    I still have my xB. It has 17,600 miles on it. In theory, I have two boxes.

The element is a nice highway car, it almost has 700 miles on it in 2 months of ownership. I used to commute 60 miles to 90 per day. Now, I walk to work, hence the lower mileage. Our first tank at 24.8 (memory from earlier post) was mixed driving, but the second tank was all stop and go.

I like the flexibility of the Element. Actually, I wish the mpg was higher, but considering the power and the aerodynamics, its understandable. They actually dropped the mpg (by the EPA) to 18/22 for 2008. I believe mind said 22/25 (memory). The element does not handle like the xB, but its not bad. I have been real gentle through break-in. I do like the standard side airbags in the Element. It is a manual LX. Most people hate the black body panels, but I adore them especially through love-bug season. Honda gave a special financing rate on it.

My xB still delivers 33mpg (manual) no matter how you drive it. However, the Element is bigger and has a much bigger engine.

We bought it for the flexiblity of our two dogs and the all rubber interior. The Element replaced our 95 Corolla. I sold it at 217,000 miles and it still had the original transmission.

I still enjoy my xB, I just don't drive as much.
    23 mpg.
    I was getting an average of 20-22 in mixed highway and city (I have a 2007 Element EX 4wd), so I thought I would try to increase it. First I quit using the AC and just used the fan. Second in town I used only the windows. I start out much slower and not as fast as before. I only go 55 on the highway and use my cruise control. My benefits was 27 MPG and I did go 65 once on the high way and once used a back road to get somewhere faster(going 55-60 on hilly back roads). So if I eliminate that on my next trip I'm hoping to get 28 to 30 MPG!

There's a great website to go to to keep your milage of your vehicle. It's: www.mymilemarker.com
    I almost have a 1000 miles, it is currently at 900. Driving the car to break it in is dangerous. With the roads being 70 and usually everyone traveling 80, varying speeds up to 55 is not fun. I can't wait to drive NOT 55.

I know from towing experience with my Tundra when I kept my speed at 60 and not at 70, I saved a whole tank of gas on a trip. However, the tundra is a 4.7 v8 and it gets 19 on the highway unloaded and you can drive it at any speed. Going 60 with something 50 feet is never a problem.
    Averaging between 21-23 with a mix of city and freeway driving.
    Averaging 22-23.
    Drove my '06 4wd, automatic Element on a 220 mile (each way) trip to the beach for the long weekend. 2 adults, 3 dogs, and luggage. We got 27.7 mpg on the trip. This is the best mileage we have ever gotten.
  • thetoasterthetoaster Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 EX, and drive 150 miles a day, 90% of which is freeway. Freeway speed is in the low 60's. Since I bought the Toaster, I have been checking mileage on a fairly regular basis and have been able to keep it between 27-28 mpg. The Toaster gets regular oil changes and check ups. I love my Element! As many hours as I spend in it every day, it is important that I feel safe, but still be in an open environment. When this one is past its prime, I fully intend to get another one.
    The element will takes it's first big road trip soon. Hope to get in the high 20's,
  • moochachamoochacha Member Posts: 14
    I had a full tank on Thursday morning.... been driving in town and in the snow for three days.. done, 72 miles in town, slow, stop/start traffic. I filled up the tank again tonight... 5.9 Gallons... the result is only 12 miles/gallon..

On the highway, I got bewteen 20-22. I have an EX AWD Auto.
    Traveling North: Around 22 - I did have it weighted down with fruit (but not overloaded). I figure I still had 250 lbs left.

Traveling South: Received a 24 and a 25. Christmas presents are not as heavy.

I wish it got the mpg as my xB. But O well.

It had 1800 miles when I left, and 3800 when I got back. Needs its first oil change soon.
  • akhondagrrlakhondagrrl Member Posts: 1
    Bought an '06 AWD EX Manual brand new. Have averaged just over 19mpg in the twenty months I've owned it. I live in Alaska (cold weather factor, oxygenated gas in winter) but use a block heater rather than idling warm ups. Have modified my driving habits to see if I can do better - shifting around 3000 rather than 4000rpms - but, oddly, that doesn't seem to be making a difference.

Best two tanks ever were 24.5 and almost 27mpg.
  • fando99fando99 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2003 Element EX AWD with 35,000 miles on it. I'm driving about 90 percent highway miles, and I'm only getting 19.7mpg. I really was hoping for better. Love the vehicle though.
  • jplymanjplyman Member Posts: 90
    I have filed up my tank twice since purchasing the "Blue Bomber" and both tanks I have averaged 23 MPG with 60% city and 40% highway - I'm very happy with the MPG - I traded in my '06 Unlimited Wrangler :-( it was a sad day but my commute is 60 miles round trip so I needed a better MPG car. I must say I do enjoy the "Blue Bomber" so far...
    During the month of January I got HORRIBLE MPG! I have a 2007 Honda Element EX 4WD and I only got 17-18 MPG. I usually get about 24-27. This month I got around 26. Anyone know why I could have gotten that bad of milage? Anyone else with this problem? I drove exactly as I do all the time and no new situations so I can not come up with a reason. Thank you for any help.
This discussion has been closed.