Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Electrical and Computer Questions

Comments

• miked940miked940 Member Posts: 5
    2004 silverado, left turn signal on(only left)and hazards flashed. Hear its a common problem, well I did some research online and it turned out to be an easy fix. All I did was replaced the flasher behind the fuse box and it solved the problem. Was surprised how much the flasher costs though, it was $94 at dealer but you can get it at gmpartsdirect.com for $52. New flasher also has different Delco Part # then stock # and sounds much stronger when flashing. Saving receipt cause i see a recall in the future.
  • raydogg1raydogg1 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 GMC sierra has a short somewhere and I can't seem to find it, The fuel pump went out and I changed it out with a new one, but now the PCB 30 amp fuse keeps blowing. I would replace the fuse then the fuel pump would work and keep going and now the fuse keeps blowing and i have well i think i have messed with all the wires but still can't find anything wrong. HELP please

:cry::cry:

Eddie
  • fastestbbcfastestbbc Member Posts: 2
    I am having trouble with a 99k1500 that is starting and stalling. I believe it is the Passloc system, so I have went in and put a resistor in in place of the key. Key measured 2350 ohm I used a resistor pack of 2357ohm. However I am still having the same intermittent problem. I will do the 10 minute key on relearn this evening, again. If it still persists what are the thoughts for a bad BCM? And can I just get a used one and pop it in or does it need to run a relearn of some sort? What is the preceedure? thanks for the help
  • fastestbbcfastestbbc Member Posts: 2
  • dicemddicemd Member Posts: 1
    My truck...sitting outside... All of a sudden, the truck chimes..and lights blink AS IF...I was pressing my remote to lock the doors. This goes on, intermittently every other minute or two. I eventully have to disconnect my battery to stop it.

Is it a fuse? HELP!!

(2006 Silverado 2500HD).... dicemd at YAHOO.com
    :cry:
  • sporty06sporty06 Member Posts: 1
    Can the backlights for the steering wheel controls be changed? I have had almost all of mine go out one by one over the past month. It seems like each switch should have its own bulb but I can't figure out if you can replace them or not.
  • mdavidmdavid Member Posts: 2
    i bought a '95 gmc sierra 2500 that needed a new engine. when i bought it, the engine light came on. my mechanic friend changed teh engine with a 2000 rebuilt engine. its a 5L 305, however, after changing the engine and swapping some parts around the engine light is still on. he states teh engine runs great and he looked for codes and the code for the electronic spark control module came up. he looked for the module and says he found it integrated with teh computer, however, he says the truck is a '95, but the wiring harness is factory installed and for the yrs 96 - 2000.

does anyone know how to get my engine light to quit flashing when only that one code comes up for the module or what the problem is??? and if i, as he is suggesting it may be the computer, what yr/truck do i get teh computer from???

he says he checked the vin with chev and with his code reader and both say its a 95 but he can't figure out why it has a ;96 - 2000 wiring harness.

any replies would be appreciated and can be emailed to me if possible to, snooky71@hotmail.com

thanks

mike d
  • mdavidmdavid Member Posts: 2
  • grampy1grampy1 Member Posts: 140
    2004 Sierra,auto,4.8 lit. work truck.

Does this truck really have the mileage reminder for oil changes that
    notifies you when its time to change the oil? :confuse:
    Thanks
  • dale08dale08 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

Can you tell me what fixed your truck, I have the same problem with my truck...

Thanks,
  • dale08dale08 Member Posts: 2
    HEY GUYS,

MY TRUCK DOES THE SAME THING WITH THE GAUGES,
    DOES THE IGNITION SWITCH FIX IT? AND WHERE CAN I GET IT?
    1 HAVE A 2000 SILVERADO
  • cor3720cor3720 Member Posts: 1
    Upon start up, engine would run very rough, excessive noise, no power or rise in RPM's upon pressing gas pedal. Checked oil and it was low so I replaced it as I heard there was a sensor that wouldn't allow engine to run normally. This didn't help. The weird thing is if I start the truck, turn it off, drive at idle 3-4 times, off, on, off on, you get the picture. It will run fine for the rest of the day. Then the next mornig, I do the process all over again. Fuel filter was replaced about 10k miles ago. I have opened the wing nut on the bottom of the fuel filter in case there was water in the fuel. Any help would be helpful as money is super tight right now. The check engine light is on when it runs bad, then it will go off when it is running good. Thanks
  • patsymspatsyms Member Posts: 1
    Last week I had the throttle body replaced. Brought it home and parked it until today. My 2003 silverado is doing the same thing it did before I replaced the part. Do I need to drive it more, or something to "reset codes"?
  • lromjuelromjue Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 GMC,Sierra, 95K. Recently outside mirror adjustment control stopped working. In past, controller has on a very few occasions not worked or at least was intermittent, but always finally did work. Yesterday found that it was completely dead. No response at all.

I will check fuse. Where will the fuse be located?

If fuse is not the problem what else should I look at?

Thanks.......................larry
  • blackpacific1blackpacific1 Member Posts: 27
    I have a vintage 1993 Chevy Blazer K1500 that still runs like a sewing machine after 235K miles. But today, the temp gage went [non-permissible content removed]$ up. That is, it reads off the high side of the gage even with the engine is stone cold, ignition switch on or off. The computer has stored a code "15". I followed the Haynes manual recommendation to remove the glovebox and wiggle the connectors to the computer, no change. I unplugged the engine coolant sensor connector, no change. Do I have an open or a short? I hate electrical issues. I was planning on replacing the sensor, which may happen tomorrow, but I fear the problem resides somewhere behind the instrument cluster. has anyone in the Silverado forum encountered a bad gage problem like this one?
  • blackpacific1blackpacific1 Member Posts: 27
    I purchased a temp sensor, but the connector had a different pin arrangement. I took it back to the auto parts store who showed me that the 350 TBI has two coolant temp sensors, one for the computer, and one for the gages. The one close to the thermastat is for the computer, while the one tucked back near the firewall is reserved for the gages. I'm going to replace that one tonight.
  • elentzelentz Member Posts: 5
    Hi, Checking to see if anyone has heard of a fix, bulletin, idea about my problem. The 2 WD ext cab PU has the 4.8 V8 auto and 175000 miles. During very cold weather, below 28deg F, the charging system has intermittent temporary failures which look like momentary dips on the charging meter and looks to oncoming traffic as if I am flashing my headlights. The failures are never more than a few seconds at a time. I have checked for loose wiring, have replaced the battery and alternator. Still have the problem. Is there a particular component I should check that might be exposed to the elements and not quite work when cold? I have been unable to find a similar problem on this forum, except the ignition switch guy, and I don't think this is the problem.
  • elentzelentz Member Posts: 5
  • kenakinkenakin Member Posts: 4
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4x4 Z71 5.3 Vortec
    Engine. 109000 miles. Only on cold mornings/days
    does it stall and idle really rough and missfire. Here is the strange part: if I unplug the MAF sensor, it runs
    fine. If I plug it back in, goes right back to crap. So I
    thought i had found my problem and replaced the MAF Sensor but to my surprise it did the same exact thing. It is throwing a coolant temp sensor code so maybe
    that is the culprit. My question is if it is a bad coolant temp sensor, why does it run fine when I unhook the MAF? I also tried unplugging the coolant temp sensor but it still does the same thing if the MAF is plugged up.
  • carl7777carl7777 Member Posts: 1
    Hello folks, first time here or on any forum for that matter, my chevy passenger side window, seat heater and both of my auto side view mirrors stopped working. i have been through all the fuses, all look good i was hoping to get some info before i spend lots of dollars, Thanks
  • lugnut72lugnut72 Member Posts: 2
    There isn't a fuse for the chime. The airbag controller or body controller sends a message to the radio or amp module across the class 2 bus to perform the chime. You can't disable this message unless it is in the module's calibration. I don't think the dealership offers cals with the chime turned off.
  • pnuzzypnuzzy Member Posts: 3
    my 2006 chevy silverado would not pss emissions in MA. they said it could not read the computer said it may be a fuse can anybody tell me were to find this fuse or what other problems i may have thank you
  • kenakinkenakin Member Posts: 4
    On some models, one of the pins where you hook up the scan tool is fused with the cig lighter fuse under the hood. mine wouldnt work either and I found that the cig fuse was blown in the fuses in the electrical center under the hood. replaced it and scanner worked fine.
  • drtbkrdrtbkr Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Silverado that went through the same situation. Mine turned out to be the same fuse that controls the aux power outlet (cig. lighter). The fuse is located in the fuse box that is under the hood (drivers side). I can't recall if it was a 10A or what...but there are only so many to check. Test your aux power first (my guess is that it is not working), then after replacing the fuse you should test it again: if the aux power works with the new fuse, you should be all set. Good luck.

- CJ
  • pnuzzypnuzzy Member Posts: 3
    thanks you guys so very much for the info.
  • crestacresta Member Posts: 1
    I have a 87 tbi truck and I am installing a 94 tbi motor. Most items look as though they will swap out but the 94 seems to have two temp sensors and the 87 only one?
    Do I use the 87 computer (1227747) or should I use the computer that came with the 94 (16146299) and just not hook up the temp sensor that is in the left side cylinder head as there is no provision for it on the 87 wiring harness. Thus only using the temp sensor in the inlet manifold?
    Thanks............
  • jsmith2454jsmith2454 Member Posts: 2
    did u check the relays for the driver door? when i recently put window tint on my truck i found 2 relays one for the driver side door and one for the passenger side so i pulled both of them so my tint wouldnt get messed up. relays should be under the hood in the fuse box driver side.
  • jsmith2454jsmith2454 Member Posts: 2
    if the chime is on a chevrolet pickup hd or 1500 theres a harness onnector connected to the speaker that runs to the fuse box driver side inside cab that 4 wires snap to the fuse box u figure out which wire does what and wala u can disable the chime. i know bcus the fuckn speaker works when it wants to.
  • thejake1thejake1 Member Posts: 1
    Exact same problem on my 07. Did you fix yours??
  • redcurlzredcurlz Member Posts: 9
    I have a 1998 Chevy Silverado - Extended cab - Long bed.
    Why is it that only my wipers will work on "High" and if I shut them off when their moving thats where they stop. They don't return down to the bottom of my windshield. My cruise control wont work either. Can I just replace that lever on the steering column? Thanks for anyone input. :blush:
  • redcurlzredcurlz Member Posts: 9
    This sounds wierd but it seems that when the temp outside gets above 75deg my window wont open. It's electrical so can I just replace the switch on the door or is it more complicated you think? Thank a bunch for the input. :shades:
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    That definitely sounds like the place to start. Usually when several functions on that lever act up together, replacing the assembly cures it.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • seabeemaxseabeemax Member Posts: 5
    I have owned this truck from the start and it was getting around 20 MPG not pulling,I have a 38 ft 5er and in the past I could get 14 MPG give or take.
    After leaving Utah and heading to Salida Co when twice this thing over heated to the point both the engine temp and the trans temp went all the way over,it boiled out the antifreeze to the point I had to add a half gallon.
    This truck has pulled the Mountains two to four times and never had a problem.
    Since this happened my fuel milage has gone down to about 11 to 14 empty.
    GM said they don't find a thing wrong,so if I leave AZ. pulling my 5er what the heck you think I'm going to get.
    Trading it is the last thing I want to do,any ideas??????????? Is it the computer its got me.
    Seabeemax :mad: :lemon:
    I have owned this truck from the start and it was getting around 20 MPG not pulling,I have a 38 ft 5er and in the past I could get 14 MPG give or take.
    After leaving Utah and heading to Salida Co when twice this thing over heated to the point both the engine temp and the trans temp went all the way over,it boiled out the antifreeze to the point I had to add a half gallon.
    GM said they don't find a thing wrong,so if I leave AZ. pulling my 5er what the heck you think I'm going to get.
    Trading it is the last thing I want to do,any ideas??????????? Is it the computer its got me.
    Seabeemax :mad:
    Seabeemax :mad: :lemon:
  • akjbmwakjbmw Member Posts: 231
    A couple years ago, my '98 K1500 Silverado developed a wiper issue. I seldom used the cruise control (can't go anywhere without up and down hills here in the Sierras) so I don't know if it was affected. The fix for mine was the controller "black box" that is attached to the side of the wiper motor. Get the box from Napa (or equivalent), remove the wiper assembly, replace the part, and reinstall. No more problems.
    With my new truck, I will have to use a ladder to do that...
  • richrushrichrush Member Posts: 1
    I have an 01 3500 serra duramax and am having a problem with my ignition. when it turn the key to the on position not start everything is normal but when i try to start the engine everything electrical shuts off the dash, my lights, everything. the truck wont start. im no mechanic but i think it may be the ignition switch. any ideas?
  • jimbuck2009jimbuck2009 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my 2004 truck. Can you tell me where
    the flasher is located?
    Thx
  • pleasehelp5pleasehelp5 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know what these fuses go to? I only have the diagram on the cover and it says stud#1 and on the other end is stud#2.They're the big colored fuses. I was trying to see if the fuse to my w/w pump went out, and I noticed the "stud#1 was blown. I replaced it and it's still good,but I cant figure out what it goes to. I looked in the chiltons and they got nothing. Please Help

Never mind......I figured it out. Its for the acc. power and trailer wiring feed. Thanks anyway
  • lester55lester55 Member Posts: 1
    I was at the chevy dealer one time:) and asked how to reset a message light. He said to don't start the engine but turn on the key and step on the gas peddle all the way to the floor 5 times and then turn the key off and then on. I tried it and it worked. sounds funny but at least give it a try.
  • joem1974joem1974 Member Posts: 1
    does anyone have a wiring diagram for the 2004 sierra. looking for a bad ground wire that is affecting gages, power windows, door locks, dome light and key less remote.
  • pitbull486pitbull486 Member Posts: 1
    Thank you for the great write up. Recently on my dual blower switch, the light went out on the right side. I have been trying to figure out how to fix that one little back light. Of course the owners manual says NOTHING about it. I guess I will have to take the truck to the dealer. Thanks again, it was helpful.
  • pamcrabbpamcrabb Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: I called our Chevrolet dealer and asked about the recall and was told that it was for vehicles that were 70000 miles and below.
    Well mine is over 100000 miles and the speedometer went to 120 for a day and then the next day it apprears to be ok.
    I haven't checked the mileage yet with my garmin to make sure that it is correct now.
  • barnowl3barnowl3 Member Posts: 70
    That is true, they don't cover it over 70,000 miles. There was recenty a lawsuit was won, where they now have to cover it to 80,000 miles here is the link http://www.speedometersettlement.com/

It is too bad a lawsuit is required when GMC knows they have a defect. Our Volvo had an issue and they voluntarily extended the warranty on the part to 10 years or 200,000 miles. Too bad GM does not get customer satisfaction or understand that you get customer loyalty if you stand behind your product.
  • canayjun64canayjun64 Member Posts: 34
    Hi everyone,

My new 2009 5.3l Silverado has an erratic voltage display. When driving, the voltage gauge will move up and down from 12 volts up to 15 or 16 volts. I went to see the dealer and they told me that it was a normal operation and that the computer controled the charging.

Is this true? He also said that should the light come on, I would then have to bring in the truck for servicing and to ignore the gauge.

It's a trange thing seeing the voltage change that way. I've never seen this before unless there was a wiring problem.

Any help/suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
  • lucusblucusb Member Posts: 1
    im having the same problem with my 06 gmc sierra i was wondering if u found what the problem was.
  • robskotrobskot Member Posts: 6
    I have a 07 Sierra Crew with the new body...when I first got it, it actually had a bum battery in it (had 1 dead cell) and was replaced on warranty about 6 weeks after I got the truck...it's worked 100% for just about 2 years now.

Since then, I have been very observant on what the battery has been doing...and SINCE I got the battery replaced, I have noticed the same as you...but have never had any other issue, so I assume that this is a normal thing.

Normally I notice it most on the highway...but even with iPhone and GPS and any other crap plugged in, it's been fine.
  • donl1donl1 Member Posts: 112
    I recently bought a new 1500 Silverado with the 5.3 and I also noted the voltage guage seems irregular. Hope it's nothing to worry about but it seems to be more erratic than anything I've had before.
  • barnowl3barnowl3 Member Posts: 70
    Your fluctuation does not seem normal to me, unless your battery is low or you have a large fluctuating load. My 2003 did this (no odd loads), but the swings actually were a lot worse and went higher than 16 volts. It happened in one day, and the swings were severe, so I had little warning and had to take it right in. They ended up replacing the alternator and my dealer found there was a bulletin on this to replace alternator wire harness" to maintain continuity" ( which makes sense for the swings you report). It was bulletin /PI. 73170D. I have an 03 GMC 2500 HD, 6.0 liter, with plow package and aux battery. It failed at 2.5 yrs, 27,000 miles. It has been good now for the past 3 years.
    I've learned that the dealer's are not always aware of the bulletins, so it helps to bring the info.
  • attindallattindall Member Posts: 1
    My Chevy has about 65000 miles and back in October my speedo went out. Dead. A month later the oil pressure gauge went, followed by the tach and today went the gas gauge. Sometime in November the radio started to cut out randomly. Usually when it cuts out the right green light on my rearview mirror turns red (the vertical one next to the Onstar buttons). When it cuts out the little red blinking security light comes on. If i turn the truck off and then turn the key to run it will come back on for a second and cut off again. Also randomly the lights in the power locks and windows go out, and they stop working. I only notice it at night when the lights are visible. Now that the gas gauge has gone out, if it wasnt for the Distance to Empty button on my steering wheel I'd be screwed. Anybody have ideas?