Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Electrical and Computer Questions

Comments

• 340mopar340mopar Member Posts: 1
    I came across your article on Edmunds and am curious about your fuel regulator. When running my AC in my 98 Silverado, NOT ALWAYS, the engine will begin to surge and act like it is running out of fuel. The engine then dies, and will not restart until the engine cools completely down, then it is ok, until the next time, Was this what your vehicle was doing? Would appreciate any help.

Thanks
  • lmcgrath5lmcgrath5 Member Posts: 2
    Hi oregonmarine. My 2001 GMC Sierra is having similar problems. My Automatic transmission will not shift unless you do it manually and I have no power to the tach, speedometer and my transmission indicator on the dash (PRND321) will not lite up. The gas gauge and the temp gauge also does not work. Then the next day, everything works perfectly. Then it goes back to not working again. Then back to working perfectly. Did you ever find out what is causing these issues? Please, Can anyone help?
  • pat110pat110 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2010
    I purchased this truck over a year ago and have had significant problems with GMC's PASSCODE system, but have seemed to work those issues out. Now the when you shut down the truck and return to start it cold, no electrical power -no lights, no gauges, no interior lights, nothing. Here's the interesting part, if you hook-up jumper cables, (no need to jump the vehicle or even involve another car), the whole electrical systems springs back to life and the truck starts normally and runs fine only to have to do it again to start it next time. I've read a number of the previous posts, but I know my battery is good (tested, new), there is no abnormal power draw from the starter, my repair manual is hinting to the ignition switch, but am asking for any advice. Thanks
  • denhamdenham Member Posts: 76
    Have you checked your battery cable ends? From what I read this may well be your problem were the wires go in the cable end.
  • chevyk9chevyk9 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 09 chevy silverado. the cluster lights on the insturment panel stay on all the time while the truck is running. is this normal or something that i need to look into getting fixed? i thought the lights are suppose to be on only when the truck lights or on at night but they are on all the time. can some help???
  • paul707paul707 Member Posts: 1
    can anyone please tell me how to replace this thing!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello,
    I am from GM Customer Service. If you have automatic lights the instrument cluster will stay on. If you turn the lights off the instrument cluster lights will go off. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • yosh1995yosh1995 Member Posts: 2
    UPDATE: For anyone that is having the issue described above with the turn signals and cruise control here is an update on my 2006 2500HD. I took it to the dealer and they fixed the issue by replacing the "multi-function switch on the column"....they replaced the turn signal switch. Costs was $348.00 for the diagnosis, parts, and labor to fix it. Not too bad. Sometimes its better to just take it to the dealer rather than wasting hours and and money replacing the wrong parts to track down an electrical issue!
  • akjbmwakjbmw Member Posts: 231
    In addition to what "gmcustsvc" said about the automatic lights staying on, you may notice that the dash lights will change brightness dependant on the light sensor at the center forward area of the dash. Mine works fine as long as I don't cover the sensor and cause a low light condition that makes the dash lights stay bright.
    In response to GM cusserv. I have turned off the lights to the vehicle and the cluster instrument lights still stay on. The sensor at the center area of the dash is never covered. This is driving me crazy.
    Hello ChevyK9,
    I am going to research the lights to see if the vehicle is operating as designed. I will get back with you shortly to let you know what I have found. Thank you,
  • steve302steve302 Member Posts: 1
    truck runs and starts great. runs good for 1st 20 mins of day. then radio goes off and on, wipers are slow and turn signals interfere with radio also engine hesitates and stalls. all things seem to be related. no one can solve my problem and the stalling is getting worse. after it stalls it does start up but as soon as its in drive it may stall again, any ideas appreciated
    Okay. I will wait to see what you say. Thanks
  • mrmremrmre Member Posts: 1
    had a local shop change out the distributor cap, and double check the computer for timing issues. The only codes that show is an oxygen sensor and 2 codes for the EGR valve.

Since replacing the distributor cap and fixing timing issues the truck runs smooth and accelerates fine; however, after some extended driving, especially driving over 40 up to 50mph, the truck will accelerate by itself.

The acceleration and changing of gears are smooth. The engine does not lag or feel like it misses a beat. After some time this issue goes away, but upon placing the truck in park the RPMs will shoot to 3000.

My shop has disconnected the EGR valve(for a trail run) and asked if I notice the acceleration issue come back. Well it has, but this time it goes away rather than staying.

Any advice or insight is appreciated.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Have your throttle position sensor and idle air controller checked out.
  • whatsup3whatsup3 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Silverado 1500 5.3 L. Instrument panel lights are going crazy. Some times all the guages work and somtimes none of them work. Checked all fuses nothing blown. Anybody have any ideas on what's going on with these guages? Any ideas would be appreciated. :mad:
    GM had a bunch of defective clusters and had a limited recall on them. I'd try and check with a dealer if yours was covered under it.
  • whatsup3whatsup3 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks obyone,I will check with a Gm dealer about a recall.
  • bigmick11bigmick11 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where the lighting control module is on a 2003 GMC Sierra?
  • oconnorcrewoconnorcrew Member Posts: 3
    I had to replace the whole gaslines on our 2003, due to rot!!!! Please have yours checked, as you could be losing gas or even be flammable!!!!
  • oconnorcrewoconnorcrew Member Posts: 3
    My 2003 Silverado HD with 86000+ miles has been miserable to own!!! I have had multiple, expensive brake repairs. I have also had to undercoat the cab and bed, so they didn't completely rust out and had to replace the entire gas lines that had rusted.

Now, I have instrument panel cluster issue, and GMC will not cover cost ($415 plus $45 diagnostic) becuase it happened at over 80,000 miles, even though their voluntary warranty extension letter said NOT to take it to dealer unless problem occurs. Now, my odometer says I'm going 20mph when I'm parked and between 80-100 mph when I'm probably going around 30!!!

We paid too much for truck, don't owe anything on it, and won't get a reasonable return if we sell or trade it in; so we are keeping it and hating it every day. Anyone who owns one with less than 80,000 miles should make the dealer replace the instrument panel before it goes bad, so they don't get stuck like we are!

GMC offered discount to buy new one; but they don't stand behing this one- so they can keep their new ones- this is our first and last Chevy!!!!
  • pondrockerpondrocker Member Posts: 18
    Sorry to hear about your troubles, read these forums & you will see you are not alone. I have an 08 sierra, tranny & other problems at 3,000 miles, GM could care less, wont fix a thing. Biggest piece of crap I have ever owned, sick to my stomach every time I drive it. Anyone who buys a GM product after spending even 5 min reading these forums deserves what they get. There is a reason they went bankrupt. They sucker people in with the body styles & interiors, nothing but Lipstick on a pig, all show, bulk of society is too dumb to know what is operating properly & what isnt. I know I have cost them 3 new car/truck sales, problem is they could care less, that is why they went bankrupt.
  • dweardwear Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had to have this fixed problem My 2006 GMC Sierra has lost power to the driver seat, no heat to the seat and the bottom button on the right of the steering wheel doesn't work. When I push the button to move the seat once in awhile the seat will move a fraction. Sometimes the seat heat will come on but the light on the control is very light. Everything worked fine until I hooked up my horse trailer. Then the seat moved back and heat went off. Any suggestions? Thank you.
    Hello Dwear,
    I am from GM Customer Service. I apologize that you are experiencing a concern on your vehicle. Can you please email more inforamtion on your vehicles concern so i can look into it further? You can access my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    Mariah GM CUstomer Service
  • johntx05johntx05 Member Posts: 1
    Just wondering if you have had this problem resolved. I have a 05 chev silv 2500HD 4x4. The truck never gave me a bit of trouble until after having it serviced for the required 100,000mile servicings. I had the battery changed out as well and thought the problems could have been contributed to a weak battery. Basically it will function properly and then the next time it wont start or it will start and then will do the no shifting thing with the ABS and service engine light going off as well as the message center reading "service 4wd". The local dealer has done all they know to do and has been told by GM (I think) to replace the ignition switch and starter. This seemed to work for a brief period and then this week it was back again. Friday I got it back from the dealer (2nd switch), it functioned fine until about 3 hours later when it would not start. The next two days no problems and then Monday it decides not to start. Just wondering if you can offer any advice for me or the dealer.
    Hello Johntx05,
    I am from GM Customer Service. I apologize that you have been having concerns with your vehicle. Can you please email me with more information so I can look into the situation further? You can access my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
  • jerseyjoe6jerseyjoe6 Member Posts: 2
    Hello Mariah (GM Customer Service)
    Can you forward me the wiring diagram for the 2006 Sierra seats which have heat and power? I'm in need of knowing how the wires are supplied and which connections are which. This would be for Driver and Passenger seats.
    Much appreciated, Jersey Joe
    Hello Jersey Joe,
    We have a place where customers can get diagrams for their vehicles. Helm publications 800-551-4123 or www.helminc.com. Hours of Operation: Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. EST. Thank you,
  • bmdiggybmdiggy Member Posts: 1
    It sucks you're having these issues with your truck. No vehicle is perfect, every company has had its share of recalls. I have owned a 2001 silverado 1500 with ZERO issues and I mean zero. I traded it in @ 125,000 for a new 2004 1500 extra cab with the cluster issue everyone is talking about but again ZERO issues other than that @ 160,000. One has to expect to put a little money into owing a vehicle, for me replacing a cluster @ 160,000 is worth owning (other than wear and tear, shocks, water pump, belts, battery) I would say I've been blessed I suppose not having "major" issues or repairs.

Having been a Chevy owner for the last 10 years I would have to rate MY experience with these trucks @ 5 stars. I feel terrible for those having issues but I can tell you these Trucks really are solid if treated well. I wouldnt know which truck I'd have to choose other than Chevy. I would have to say Dodge or Toyota (but I do perfer buying American) I suppose my brothers 2004 Ram seems pretty solid. My sisters Titan is OK but it gets 9-10 mpg, my brothers Dodge Ram around 12-13, my truck 17-18 (using scanguage 2 on mine). My pops has a Chevy diesel 3500 dually and averages what I do. The only things I can add, is buy new or with really low miles. That way you know where its been and how its been treated a majority of its life.

Oh and GM went bankrupt because it couldn't compete with the non-union companies such as Toyota. Not because their vehicles are bad but because you can get "more" for your money if you went somewhere else. The union workers and bosses pentions and benefits were added into the cost of the vehicle, so over the years they just got way to expensive, but to me still a good truck.

Cheers to all and best of luck with any Truck you all may choose in the future!
  • kekahnkekahn Member Posts: 2
    A little while ago my cargo light stopped working. The dash icon would come on, but the lights would not. Then, while my courtesy lights would come on when I open the doors they would NOT come on when I pushed one of the courtesy light buttons. The really strange thing is that the cargo light dash icon would come on when I do that even though the cargo light button wasn't pushed (nor does the cargo light actually come on). Same thing happens when I open the glove box.

All fuses appear to be OK, as do the bulbs all around. The switches seem to work in that when I push either the interior light or cargo light switches near the headlight switches, either they do something or the dash icon comes on.

I tried tracing the lines, but have no idea where the "mid buss" etc is. Tried taking off the panels and pushing in wires, relays, fuses, etc to make sure they were tight. No change.

Wierd...
  • kekahnkekahn Member Posts: 2
    Solved it. A fuse in the interior fuse box labeled PBC was blown. Like I said, weird (only this time I spelled it correctly).
  • blkzoeblkzoe Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 suburban was running fine yesterday. 61000 miles. Started it up this morning. ABS light and brake warning light illuminate with warning bells. In drive, it won't get out of 1st gear. No shifting period. I've seen these symptoms on other forums, but no resolutions to the issue(s). It's certainly electrical, not mechanical. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Hello Blkzoe,
    I am from GM Customer Service. I apologize that you are experiencing a concern with your vehicle. Can you please email me more information about your situation so I can look into it further? You can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
  • riouxrioux Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2010
    son changed stereo and now l have no dash steering wheel or heater lights put original back in but still nothing checked all fuses and relays all good chacked bulbs also good any idea what might be causing this thanks lights work on original deck
  • riouxrioux Member Posts: 2
    does any know where the compuer is located on a 05 silverado ss
  • pgek48pgek48 Member Posts: 1
    scanner reads not ready on many systems
  • scottiepaulscottiepaul Member Posts: 1
    hey man is there anyway i can get the reset codes from u mine is doing the same thing ma air could be working 1 min. kill ma truck and crank it again it stops working i havr no power going to my ac and have no idea y
  • cynuspscynusps Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 GMC Sierra 3500 Classic. For no apparent reason the driver's heated seat comes on. I will be just driving down the road and on it comes. Not a bumpy road either. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this truck? If I can't fix it maybe I could unplug it. Really getting tired of the hot seat. :sick:
    Hello Cynusps,
    I am from GM Customer Service. My recommendation is to have a service tech look at the vehicle and at least diagnose the concern. However, if you are looking for wiring diagrams you can get them from this publisher. Helm Publications, 800-551-4123 or www.helminc.com. Hours of Operation: Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. EST. If you have any further questions please let me know. Thank you,
    Or if you want the diagrams cheaper and faster go to http://www.alldatadiy.com/
  • skibo3980skibo3980 Member Posts: 2
    I need some help yall i just changed my battery in a 04 siverado an now the A/C is blowing hot air can any one help or tell me why it is doing it. An how can i fix it?
  • skibo3980skibo3980 Member Posts: 2
    mine is doing something like that to brother. Ichanged my battery an now it starts out blowing cold an then goes straight to hot. did you get urs fixed.
  • chrisbedfordchrisbedford Member Posts: 2
    i have 2008 silverado. one day battery was dead so jump started and now my radio is dead- no display at all, also battery is dead or almost dead a few times since then. any ideas
    Hello Chrisbedford,
    I apologize that you are having a concern with your vehicle. Have you had anyone diagnose the vehicle? Thank you,
  • chrisbedfordchrisbedford Member Posts: 2
    i called the dealership but they didnt know and suggested i bring it in at 65 an hr. they said something about an update for the radio but my radio is completely dead not locked or anything. i did the obvious like check the fuse and stuff. i don't know why my battery is going dead. i run my truck every day.it just seems like this is a huge problem that people are having with these trucks and being as how my warranty ran out i can't afford the dealer guessing to try to figure it out. it seems from reading that this is problem is pretty widespread. is there any recall on any of the electrical system?my email is charlenepsu@hotmail.com if you want to contact me
    Hello Chrisbedford,
    I did email you back. Let me know if you didn't receive it. Thank you,
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Never post your phone number in the forums... these are viewable by the entire internet.

Chrisbedford, you can reach Mariah directly by clicking her username (gmcustsvc) in any of her messages. That will bring up her profile where her email address can be found.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • jlandsbergerjlandsberger Member Posts: 2
    I have a 04 Silverado Z71,1500, v-8,parked in the garage for a yr now. This started with Unknown driver switching from Driver 1 while operating the truck. This causes all gauges to shut down, a/c blows hot air, truck revs rpms when shifting out of first, hesistates, lay off the gas, shifts rough. Took to the dealership a yr ago, ran computer upgrade, no errors found. Took to transmission shop, no problems. This has to be something electrical somewhere? This is a $43K truck, that I cannot drive...when I first had issues, the truck hesitated shifting into overdrive,rpms rev, lay off the gas, it will eventually shift(rough), The dealership told me once again, nothing was wrong, no error codes. Very frustrating, always drive chevys...maybe I need to look at a Ford...
    Would appreciate any ideas on where to turn..it is obvious the dealership either doesn't care or doesn't know what to do about this issue
  • lmcgrath5lmcgrath5 Member Posts: 2
    Hello jlandsberger. I have an 01 GMC Sierra. I had electrical problems similar to your problems. An independent auto electrical repair shop found that the wiring or module that would power up many parts on my truck failed or would fail intermittently. This wiring or module is directly after the keyed ignition switch. It is not an expensive item. My total repair bill was $316.00. That was parts and labor. If you are in Connecticut, I can direct you to the repair shop. Hopes this helps with your truck
  • hwcapehwcape Member Posts: 1
    My truck will not crank in the morning. I jump it in the morning, drive around all day and have no problems. After is sits overnight, the battery is dead and it won't crank. I had the battery and alternator checked at two different places and both times was told they are fine. Did anyone have similiar problem?