Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Electrical and Computer Questions

Comments

• whizbang69whizbang69 Member Posts: 2
  • whizbang69whizbang69 Member Posts: 2
    I have 2007 silverado ltz,something drains my battery overnight and after a jump start it might not happen again for a year.
  • jdelpretejdelprete Member Posts: 9
    Hi everyone. I have a 2010 GMC Sierra and want to wire in some LED lights that I will attach to my backrack. I want this to be as clean as possible and want to utilize the switch for the cargo lamp so when I turn on the body light this LED light comes on as well. How do I go about doing this?
  • jdelpretejdelprete Member Posts: 9
  • benny33benny33 Member Posts: 1
    Rory,
    I have a 03' Silverado P/U that has been doing something very similar. Over the past week the truck has been dead in the morning twice. Each time I jumped - it and it ran fine for a few days. I charged the battery(one year old) and just replaced the alternator.

I just got home from the store and turned the truck off then waited for the lights to go out. All went out EXCEPT for the instrument lights and some other small lights (door switch etc.). I could not figure out why my newish battery kept discharging overnight!

Any luck figuring out why this is happening?

Thanks,
    Ben
  • sharky562sharky562 Member Posts: 1
    this same messege has been coming up on my dash lately..
    up untill yesterday it didnt come off..
    as soon as i got home everything died and the truck turned off..
    did you find the solution for your problem?
    or can anybody help me out on exactlly what it is?
    im a little limited on money so i dont want to go out and buy a new battery or alternator and then finding out later that thats not the problem..

help, someone?
  • danvossendanvossen Member Posts: 3
    Hi Whizbang
    Just so you know that you are not alone. My 07 Silverado bought new in June 07 has done that 2 or 3 times since new. I have not taken it in for the problem because after a boost everthing is fine. I do carry a powerpak with me now for the next time it happens. My father had 04 Buick with next to no miles on it that did the same thing and dealer could not sort it out in 3 tries. By the time it was towed in everything checked out fine. Love my truck though.

Newtonville Dan
  • sherwo64sherwo64 Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2003 chevy silverado 1500 4x4 all new brake parts but the brakes will lock up on it after driving it for 10 or 20 min no one can figure out what the problem is it all started when i had a brake hose bust underneith and now the brakes lock up if anyone knows a fix i would really love it email to joesherwo64@yahoo.com
  • denhamdenham Member Posts: 76
    The problem is your brake hose. The fluid is not able to return to the master cylinder after it gets hot as the clamp holding the hose to th upper control arm has the fluid cut off. I own a shop and this is a defect in the hoses and a common problem. remove the hose and check and you will find it stopped up.
    Dennis
  • misfitomisfito Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 2001 Silverado and my problem is that any other day the battery will drain overnight and I've had noticed that 2 lights come on after the car is being parked for like a minute or so. The lights that come on are: the high beam headlight and the cruise control (my truck doesn't have a cruise control)
    Sometimes I will be able to get the truck running but it feels like the battery barely has charge to turn the starter and the rest of the days it wont start at all.
    I took it to a shop but they could (or didn't want to) find the problem. So I thought that I might get any help around the net and I stumbled here, Thanks
  • ozzycrewozzycrew Member Posts: 1
    http://www.justanswer.com/new-question/waiting-room-j.aspx?tid=6997814
    Hey Joe! I'm sending this to your email ad as well, but hey I just bought a 88 version of your truck, I love it! But have had some real doozies of some issues getting it back into shape. Well no one would be able to solve the issues I had, These trucks really are fantastik, but they are very unique to say the least. Well the link I posted first is the only way I can tell ya to solve any issue like this it may cost you 12 bucks or so to get the answer, but you only pay after you get your answer, are 100% happy with your answers and have fixed your issue. I welcome you to reply to my email and ask me anything you want, I have no ties to the site or to Doug the ASE Certified mechanic I ask my questions to. I spent in exess of 200$ trying to get my truck tuned up after doing a tune up myself, and making some upgrades, well three trips back to the shop, and two days of trying to find out why it was not keeping its tune and time, I asked Doug on this site, he replied within ten minutes and solved my problem. reply to my email adress if you want more details, but I promise you, you will love this site and Doug has over 31yrs of being a pro Chevy tech at Indianapolis Speedway, "He knows his stuff!" good luck
  • robskotrobskot Member Posts: 6
    Just wondering if anyone has actually done this yet? I have googled and found a whole pile of differnet answers how to do it...in particualar the passenger side.

I am just wondering the easy way to do it? There are some that talk about just removing the air filter cover, and then being able to reach...others talk about partially removing the wheel well cover and accessing a bolt there?

Also, again, google provided way to many different answers...anyone know which bulb is used for the regular/daytime beams? I know it will be in the manual, but I don't have one here...

Thanks
  • camodudecamodude Member Posts: 1
    hey my Vehicle is a 88 chevy silverado. Once my headlights turn on my running and brake lights go out. What should I do to fix this?

I have had goodyear check all fuses and bulbs and still nothing. Also my turn indicator whenever activated ( left or right) turns on my emergency flashers. My steering wheel is loose and can be jerked around and im wondering if by doing this that a ground in the dash board is out or not grounded any longer. I dont want to put any more money into this truck. Someone please help. ( I dont know much about cars)
  • penbowpenbow Member Posts: 1
    Going down the road my truck lost engine compression. Took it to a micky mouse chevy dealer and they said it was electrical. after paying the bill, I was on the road home and it did it again. I have replaced the battery, alternator, plugs, footfeed sensor, throttlebody sensor, fuel pump relay, and still only reduced engine power. It will not get over 30 miles an hour uphill and 50mph on flat road. What is my problem. What else can I do? where is the computer in this truck. should I unplug it and try to reset the computer?
  • isellfordcarsisellfordcars Member Posts: 1
    I recently sold a 2007 Chevy 2500 Crew Cab Diesel with a towing package. After taking a long trip with no incidents, my client called to inform me that the headlights on the truck turn on by themselves when it rains. This even seems to occur when the vehicle is under cover of a barn. The local Chevy dealer 'took a look at it' and could not duplicate the problem and said until they could there was no way it could be traced. They brought the truck back to us, and guess what? I parked the truck facing my window last Saturday, it rained, and after a couple of hours, the lights came on, all by themselves. Only the headlights, not the marker lamps or side lamps or brights. Worst thing about it is there is no way to turn the lights out once they come on unless you disconnect the battery. Even after starting the vehicle, and shutting it down again, they may go out briefly, but then come back on, even if it is brought under cover. ANY IDEAS???? No one seems to want or be able to tackle the problem. My guess is that once it is found it is a simple solution. HELP!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    isellfordcars,
    Have you taken your vehicle to a different dealer? I would definitely recommend getting a second opinion if your not satisfied with the first one. Maybe ask them to keep it in the dimly lit shop for a couple hours? Please keep me posted on your progress,
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • coloradosierracoloradosierra Member Posts: 1
    I am seeing some weird issues with my truck since I moved to Colorado and it has gotten cold. I have a 2004 Z71 GMC Sierra and I am seeing some weird electrical issues witht he truck. On the rearview mirror, I have the compass and temperature readings. When it is cold, and only when it is cold, there are glitches and what looks like power reseting occurs. This can happen once or twice a minute or up to 20+ times per minute. Also, this morning the radio turned on, read CD's, received the digital information from radio stations but never once did it output any sound. Any ideas what is going on? I called the service folks up the street and they want nearly $100 just to bring in the truck.

Also, if I have the heater going and put the truck in park, the heater turns off and outputs cool air. When I put it back into drive, it is 50/50 as to if the air gets warm again. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
  • jimhughesjimhughes Member Posts: 1
    My daughter was driving my 2004 Silverado truck the other day. It started fine, then within a block, shuddered and died. We could not get the starter to even move (no clicking..nothing). There is plenty of juice - all lights come on just fine. Just cant get anything going on with the starter. Any help would be appreciated! jameshughes@mywdo.com :cry:
    jimhughes ,
    I would recommend having your authorized GM dealer of choice looking at your vehicle.
    They are in the best position to diagnosis your vehicle.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • 2bconcerned2bconcerned Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2010
    Looking to purchase a 2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab pick-up. What kind of problems have been related to this vehicle?
  • brushman2brushman2 Member Posts: 1
    It appears that the 2011 Sierra WORK TRUCK does not have the plug-can't find. Have a dealer parts man calling GMC on Monday to find out if the dash guages are the same. I have the Trip OD. readouts-Trans temp.and 2-3 others but wish to get all available with the DIC switch replacement panel. Hope that I have a wiring cable somewhere. An extra $1800-$2000 for that engine should include all bells and whistles!
  • david_3rddavid_3rd Member Posts: 2
    I am having almost the same exact problem on my 2003 2500 hd silverado i've read somewhere that the memory seat control module needs to be reprogramed by a gm dealer have you or anyone sovled this problem
  • david_3rddavid_3rd Member Posts: 2
    Just wanted to add a link to clarify my statment on the other info i found

link: http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic929472.htm

FCheck out Art auto , msg
  • sundance1960sundance1960 Member Posts: 1
    My truck wants to start but won't because of padlock symbol that came on the dash flashing.
    what do I do to fix this ? I had to change the steering column due to an accident and the clock spring was damaged. The clock spring was reset and the key switch was also changed because of the chip in the key. Everything was done right, but now it went into padlock and won't start and stay running.. Need to know what to do now ??
  • ckostacckostac Member Posts: 1
    Check your owners manual to be sure on this. I know for some GM vehicles with the Passlock II anti theft system there is a procedure that went as follows: Turn the key forward until the anti-theft light comes on and blinks. Wait ten minutes, the light will stop blinking. Once it stops, turn the ignition OFF. Then you may try to restart. Again check the manual, I had a similar problem with an '05 Malibu and after searching the internet for a couple hours I found out that the answer was in my glove box the whole time! Good luck, hope it helps. Chris
  • elm2elm2 Member Posts: 3
    I would like to know if you found the cause of your problem as I would like to know how to fix my 2002 Silverado. It has the same two lights on after the motor is turned off and will run the battery down over night. So far one trip to dealership and they didn't repair. Please let me know if you found what to to do to fix problem. Thanks
  • bigoscarbigoscar Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    I have a 2009 Sierra 1500. At times when starting the truck, the dash will appear with no picture, speedometer is stuck and no other digital guages are lit. The truck starts and moves, but even the signal lights are not showing inside. Checked outside, and the blinkers are blinking, but I cannot tell inside the truck. Any suggestions? :mad:
    bigoscar,
    Have you taken your vehicle to an authorized GM dealer? If not, I would definitely recommend doing so.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • lukanowskilukanowski Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for anyone who has had similar issues to the following. While traveling down a mountain, the accelerator continued to accelerate even after removing foot, brakes failed, could not down shift nor place truck in neutral. At 90 mph, sent truck 40 ft over edge into river to avoid a head on with another vehicle. The air bags did not inflate Serious long term injuries.

Is this an electrical issue, computer issue? Any ideas on how to find others that have had this problem?

Thanks..
    lukanowski,
    I apologize for your experience. If you would please email me your VIN and complete contact information I would be happy to assist you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • pepzmanpepzman Member Posts: 1
    I am having the exact same issue with my 2001 Silverado. Once my dome light goes off the cuise and high beam lights on the dash come on and drain my battery within a few hours. I have taken it to the shop and they told me it was my remote start. I took it back there and had them look at it. They told me the "brain" was bad and sent it back for a new one. (Luckily this was under warranty) They replaced the "brain" and told me it was fixed. However it isn't, and I now believe that it isn't the remote start and must be something electrical within the truck itself. I have not had an issue with my truck really ever before this. It is so frustrating that no one can tell me what it is or how to get it fixed! Please help!
    Pepzman, About a month ago I had GM dealer work on mine. They changed key switch and it did nothing to fix problem. I worked on it again myself this weekend. I found if I pull the fuse in the fusebox under the hood for the radio it killed the amp draw. I am now running a test to see if it is an electrical short in the instrument cluster. I have taken the instrument cluster out of my 2002 Silverado. You can drive without an instrument cluster. The fuse I pulled seems to control the instrument cluster and the radio. I will need a day or two to see if the battery drains without the instrument cluster hooked up. If it does then the cluster is alright and I will have to look elsewhere. The truck started fine this morning after about 15 hours of cluster unhooked but it normally took about 24 to 30 hours to totally drain enough to not start. If it is cluster I will send off for repair as a new one is 5 to 6 hundred probably at a dealer. I will post my results. My investigation reveals alot of people with cluster problems on Silverado pickups.
    P.S. I don't have remote start. But this was the first problem I had with pickup in 98,000 miles
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    My investigation reveals alot of people with cluster problems on Silverado pickups.

It should since GM had a recall on those clusters.
  • hunter65hunter65 Member Posts: 1
    My friend had the same problem and it was a short in the auxiliary positive cable. Good luck
  • lisaholbernlisaholbern Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2007 GMC sierra that has also had heated seat trouble. I went to dealer they repaired, since then my vehicle has had an electrical fire and the side rollover airbags have deployed twice, I have never had an accident in this truck. the ESIS dept. of GMC came and down loaded data said truck is getting a signal that it is rolling over causing airbags to deploy. It has been 7 months since the last time the air bags went off and GMC is giving me a hard time about taking this vehicle back. I recommend that you be very cautious dealing with this company they have no regard for their :sick: :sick: customers safety
  • lisaholbernlisaholbern Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2007 gmc sierra that I purchased new, since I have owned this truck it has had an electical fire and the rollover airbags have deployed twice without being in an accident. I took the truck back to dealer about 3 months after purchase because heated seats would not stay on, mechanic stated that he repaired them if I had any trouble come back, a few months later I went to get in vehicle and you could smell the burning wires, none of the electrical items on drivers side would work, once again dealer repaired in 2008 I was driving down gravel road and rollover airbags deployed, dealer picked up truck, repaired truck aganist my wishes and returned it to me. Both my dealer and gmc assured me that they had fixed vehicle and I could feel comfortable in their product. I was again driving on a gravel road in 2010 and the rollover airbags deployed again. I WANT GMC TO TAKE THIS TRUCK BACK AND GET IT OFF THE ROAD BEFORE SOMEONE IS INJURED OR KILLED. esis department of gmc came out downloaded data from truck said that it is getting signal that truck is rolling over causing airbags to deploy. So they did not fix it first time around treated me a loyal 3 time truck purchaser like a guinea pig with no regard for my safety. It has been 7 months since last deployment and gmc still has not reached a decision about buying back my truck. they are a horrible company :sick: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • blackcloud2blackcloud2 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03 HD that did the same thing. Autozone checked it for me and told me I had a bad altenator.WRONG!!!! I began tracing down the cables, you should have a junction box between altenator and battery instead of one solid cable. On mine one of the cables were broken and caused a bad reading. Try this it may save you a couple hundred bucks.
  • oldpilot1oldpilot1 Member Posts: 1
    Does the factory installed trailer plug socket have a 12 volt power wire going to pin 4? I've searched the internet and haven't found much about it.

I don't have any voltage on pin 4, and I can't locate a fuse in the power distribution box that is listed for that function. The pin socket door cover diagram has a "+" symbol for pin 4, but I do not have any power there.

Any help will be appreciated.
    oldpilot1,
    Have you had a chance to speak with your dealer? If not, I would recommend doing so.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • pinetreebpinetreeb Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2011
    This morning I used my keyfob to unlock the doors like I always do. The parking lights flashed like normal but this time they didnt go out. They are dim but still on. I thought it may be the headlight switch on the dash so I unplugged it and they stayed on. Then I thought it may be a relay so I switched a bunch of them around and got nowhere. The only thing I could do was find the fuses to the parking lamps(1 for the front and 2 for the rear)and pulled them so the battery doesn't die. The next thing I wanted to do was pull the fuse to the keyless module but have no Idea where it is. Any help would be greatly apreciated. Its a 2005 silverado extended cab LS 4.8 4X4. I would like to solve this without having to pay the dealership. I've had some pretty bad experiences with them in the past.
  • jscott79jscott79 Member Posts: 1
    Curious to see if you've rec'd any information on what the problem is? I have a 06 1500 Chevy Silverado with what sounds like the same problem. For whatever reason, the message ctr displays "Service 4WD, Service Brake System," the ABS light and Brake light on the display illuminate, and the heat shuts off. I was told to try and replace the dashboard control switch for ESOF 4WD. I did and this did not correct the problem. The problem comes and goes for no apparent reason. The hole system will go haywire, then 30 seconds later go back to normal operation, storing no fault codes at all. Any ideas where to start? Thanks.
  • pinetreebpinetreeb Member Posts: 2
    Here was the solution to my problem. The trailer light plug was all corroded and made an open circuit so my lights wouldn't shut off. Unplugged the plug from the wiring harness and presto...problem solved. The dealership wanted to replace BCM(body control module). For several hundred dollars. Hope this fix helps someone else with a similar problem and saves them some serious $$$
  • sordavsordav Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 chevy 2500hd, I had the same problem and traced the wire from the plug to the engine compartment. It is a red wire and was coiled up and taped underneath the master cylinder. I had to hook it to a terminal outside the fuse box on the radiator side of the fuse box. I had to buy a nut and washer for the terminal and add a fuse inside the fuse box. Hope this helps.
  • temeshatemesha Member Posts: 1
    hi All, I was wondering and in hope to find someone that has a similar problem as to my new 2009 Chevy silverado truck I bought 2 months ago...and have barely driven!..I have a very bad Electrical Gremlin and the GM dealership cant seem to douplicate it or find this cause....it only has 30,000 KM and I wish to fix it so I can feel safe to drive my truck...at the meantime i am unsafe as I cannot take it on road trips or anything..Here are my causes....intermittent but if driving for an extended time it goes bonkers and will not stop... When I brake the Interior and Exterior lights dim/flicker and or cut off as well with the music along with it!. The Airbag light comes on and chims with the Stabilik track control OFF signal goes on as well and ABS breaks light comes on all due to this breaking, and if you break frequent the whole truck goes nuts. As well!!! with alot if chimming.!! when you break and SIGNAL to right or left...when truck is acting up, the Door locks go crazy locking and unlocking on their own..AND THAN MY TRUCK DOWNSHIFTS ON ME! Which I dont find acceptable for anyone to drive a NEW truck that has this suituation...Expecially when it happens on a road trip in the middle of nowere going 110...and your truck downshifts to 2nd!....I have never been so scared in my life...and I thank god I do not live in a BIG city....imagine what would happen if on a busy busy street...Or freeway...it is an accident waiting to happen. I really just wish I was able to Drive my new truck and feel safe...or even have it as dealership takes it, tries to get time to work on it, but finding nothing and has given up until I can get it to go crazy for them..I am so fllustered if anyone has anything for help at all that would be amazing.. I wish to feel safe and drive my truck...it seemed beautiful when iIwent and looked at it to buy..but now it been bugging me daily
    THANKS
    temesha,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. I would encourage you to contact GM of Canada at 800-263-3777. Hours: M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • aducilleaducille Member Posts: 1
    3 months ago,the "check tire pressure" warning began appearing on the dash of my 2008 Silverado HD. 3 weeks ago, the headlights began staying on after turning off the ignition and locking the doors. 2 weeks ago, the sunroof stopped working. We've had it in for the recall to disable the heated washer fluid. Otherwise, no mods have been made to the electrical system that I'm aware of. Any ideas?
    aducille,

Were you planning on taking the vehicle into the dealership to be looked at? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • nljewellnljewell Member Posts: 21
    I've got an 89 Silverado with close to 200k miles. My problem is that the negative terminal melted with I was putting in a new battery. About a week ago it wouldn't start so I had the starter tested and it was good. I checked my battery terminals and noticed the positive terminal was stripped out. The parts store gave me a new battery, I hooked up the + first and when I was doing the - I heard some sparks and then the whole damn thing melted. I am thinking I have a short somewhere but don't know where to start looking. Like I said its got close to 200k miles so I hope its a cheap fix. Thanks.
  • carlmoore3carlmoore3 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2011 silverado 1500, 4x4, flex fuel, 5.3L that is having electrical problems, they started at 1,300 miles and has happened 4 times now and im at 1,500 miles. When driving the a/c will start blowing hot, the speedometer and tachometer will go to 0, the door locks with start locking and unlocking, i will loose throttle response, on my display it will read stability control off, traction control off, parking assist off, service stability control, and the check engine light will come on. then everything will go back to normal. the only thing i have done to the truck is change out the dome lights with led lights and change the headlights with hid lights. the dealership told me to take the hids out and put the factory lights back in, which i don't see how that will affect the computer. So i went to the dealership and changed them for them. the next day i was told to pick the truck up, i got two miles down the road and it happened again. I did a u turn and took it back. I lost throttle response on the freeway at rush hour. not cool. ive only had my truck for 3 weeks. The dealership does not know what the problem is.