Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Electrical and Computer Questions

Comments

• hadlockhadlock Member Posts: 8
    Hi there, I'm almost embarrassed to post this given the more serious nature of the other problems listed here. But here goes. Recently the interior light does not go on when the door opens. So you open the door at night and stare at a dark interior. The only thing that has changed was the dealer replaced the instrument panel and I think this started at around the same time but the connection between those two makes it seem improbable as the cause. The two dome lights and the two lights by the mirror all work when you press their buttons so it is not a bulb. I can't find a door switch like in the old days that actuates the interior light. I've read the manual with no help. Went thru the available programming on the diagnostic center with no help. I know it must be something simple but darned if I can find it. If anyone has the answer I sure would appreciate it. Thanks, Steve
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    hadlock,
    Thank you for taking the time to post your questions. Can you please email me directly with your VIN and the name of the dealer? I look forward to hearing from you. Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    [email protected]
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good morning barnowl3,

I did not see any open recalls on your Sierra at this time; to pursue reimbursement for the brake line work I would encourage you to contact your dealership as this is where the paperwork would be processed. If they are not in agreement about the reimbursement, we can evaluate your situation further if you would please send the following information to [email protected]: your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Christina, Many thanks for your prompt response. You were very helpful in getting my dash panel fixed. Must be nice to be able to solve people's problems!... and hard when you can't. In any event, I appreciate your "Can do" spirit. The vin on my truck is 1GTHC29658E148916. The dealer is Haselwood in Bremerton, Washington. I am not at all certain this is related to the dash replacement although it did seem to begin around the same time. I was posting to see if some other owner had a solution. But I appreciate your attention to this problem. These things used to be simple with the visible door switches but I'll be darned if I can figure this one out. Any advice or help you can provide will be appreciated. Thanks again, Steve
  • barnowl3barnowl3 Member Posts: 70
    Sarah,
    This problem first occurred in 2007, when the truck 4.5 years old, approx. 45,000 miles. This is when the first corroded brake line failed. Is GM willing to look back to that time and discuss the matter? I did not pursue the matter at the time, frankly out of disgust, and assuming they would do nothing being 1.5 years out of warranty. After reading that other trucks have had this exact same issue, is why I am pursuing it now. So, please let me know if GM will look at my records from that time. I have also saved some of brake lines and have pictures. I'm happy to to work with GM, but I also do not want to waste my time. I appreciate your honest response. Ed
    Steve,
    Have you tried to reset the DIC settings? If not, I would recommend trying that. Here is the information I found:

EXIT LIGHTING
    This feature allows you to select the amount of time you want the exterior lamps to emain on when it is dark enough outside. This happens after the key is turned from ON/RUN to LOCK/OFF. Press the customization button until EXIT LIGHTING appears on the DIC display. Press the set/reset button once to access the settings for this feature. Then press the customization button to scroll through the following settings: OFF: The exterior lamps will not turn on.
    30 SECONDS (default): The exterior lamps will stay on for 30 seconds.
    1 MINUTE: The exterior lamps will stay on for one minute.
    2 MINUTES: The exterior lamps will stay on for two minutes.
    NO CHANGE: No change will be made to this feature. The current setting will remain.
    To select a setting, press the set/reset button while the desired setting is displayed on the DIC.

APPROACH LIGHTING
    This feature allows you to select whether or not to have the exterior lights turn on briefly during low light periods after unlocking the vehicle using the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter.
    Press the customization button until APPROACH LIGHTING appears on the DIC display. Press the set/reset button once to access the settings for this feature. Then press the customization button to scroll through the following settings:
    OFF: The exterior lights will not turn on when you unlock the vehicle with the RKE transmitter.
    ON (default): If it is dark enough outside, the exterior lights will turn on briefly when you unlock the vehicle with the RKE transmitter. The lights will remain on for 20 seconds or until the lock button on the RKE transmitter is pressed, or the vehicle is no longer off. See Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) System Operation on page 2-5 for more information.
    NO CHANGE: No change will be made to this feature. The current setting will remain.
    To select a setting, press the set/reset button while the desired setting is displayed on the DIC.

These directions are also in the owners’ manual. I hope this information helps. Let me know if this solves your problem.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Hello barnowl3,

Given the age of the vehicle, the face that the brakes rusted again outside of the 12 month/12,000 mile replacement part warranty, and the amount of time that has passed, I do not think that a reimbursement would be likely (however I cannot say this with absolute certainty). I know that this is not what you had wanted to hear, and I'm sorry that I was unable to assist further; in my previous post I was giving you the procedure for pursuing reimbursement.

I wish you well,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Yes, tried this. It refers to the exterior lighting and not the interior lighting. Thanks
  • felix44felix44 Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering if you were ever able to get to to bottom of this issue,I'm having the same exact problem and no one seems to know how to fix it..please let me know if u were able to figure out anything..thanks
  • felix44felix44 Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering if you were ever able to get this issue resolved..I have the same exact issue and no one seems to know how to fix it..please let me know if u were able to get to the bottom of this...thanks
    Christie, Thanks for your help. Fixed it. Turns out there is a dome lamp override button that got turned on by mistake. Found that because it was in the instructions.... duh! And here I thought I had read them.... :) Thanks again
  • brandon9250brandon9250 Member Posts: 1
    i had a similar problem on my 07 sierra it would probably be the fuel valve purge solinoid. gm put it ina dumb spot its right under your drivers side in between the front and back doors cant miss it.. its a little black cannister with a line going in and a line going out and an electrical connector... when replacing it be careful not to damage the hoses... i did and the code for a leak came on.. i put electrical tape about 12 inches down both lines and it went away all good now you will replace about 2 of these if you own your truck for more than 10 years..
  • ironranger36ironranger36 Member Posts: 1
    Hello All,

I am having an issue with my 2010 Silverado LTZ, 4WD, Crew Cab Z71. The problem started as follows: day 1, Mileage 37400: Drove my truck to work and parked it, no issues. I went to start it at the end of the day and the truck would not start. I looked down at the info window which said "SERVICE 4 WHEEL DRIVE". We tried to troubleshoot different ways to get it to start with no avail, until we removed the battery cable for 30 sec and replaced it. Everything was back to normal. I brought it to the dealer to have them plug it in just to make sure everything was ok. Unfortunately that was not the case, the computer was reading 12 communication errors. Needsless to say I was now 1400 miles over the bumper to bumper which apparently "electrical falls under" GREAT. After about two days of tracking down each fault and a day to replace the Transfer Case Control Module they got the faults to clear and I got me truck back. Two days later I was driving down a dirt road (luckly I was only doing about 5 mph) the brakes locked up on their own and then the fault lights lit up. Service 4 wheel drive, service abs, service stable trak, check engine, service traction control). This time the vehicle remained running but was stuck in 1st gear. I disconnected the battery and once again everything was gone. I brought it back to the service center and this time there was 18 communication faults. 4 days later I got me truck back with a brake control module replaced. Ran fine on the way home. Today I drove it to my sons school. When leaving I started it up and notice that my fault lights were lit up again. Additionally it would not shift pass 1st gear, the gear selected indicator was not on, the speedometer, rpm were not working. Is anyone else had issues like this and if so what was to end point fix that actually worked. The service station is definitely trying to help and are currently working with me on the bills. But I thought I would try to help them with idea's. :confuse:
  • johnsavedjohnsaved Member Posts: 7
    It sounds like your truck is doing weird electrical things like my was. For me, it turned out that a main grounding point on the frame had come loose and was sending fluctuating voltages to the ECM's. If you haven't noticed already, for some stupid reason GM weather coats their frames with some sort of wax junk. My guess is that they come to the factory already waxed and then the assembly begins. My frame is a rusty mess due to water and ice getting between the wax and the steel frame in the winter. Then it freezes and the wax literally comes off in sheets, leaving large sections of steel unprotected. It looked like the ground points on the frame were never scraped down to bare metal before the wires were connected and when the water got behind the wax and froze, the ice pushed the wires out just enough to make the connections loose. The most noticeably loose ground was the one on the outside of the frame directly under the drivers door. It is just behind the front tire and get a direct hit from the road spray. My guess it is a loose ground. Good Luck!
    ironranger36,
    Thank you for taking the time to post your experience and concerns. Can you please email me directly with your VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, a brief description of your concerns (or a link to your post), and complete contact information? I would like to look into this further for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    [email protected]
  • zars210zars210 Member Posts: 1
    I am currently having the same problem with my 2007 Sierra Classic. I am wondering if anyone can help pin point which ground wire could be causing it. I have already replaced my ignition switch which didn't help. Thanks.
  • lisaholbernlisaholbern Member Posts: 4
    I had to get a lemon law lawyer to get General Motors to take back the lemon they sold me and I purchased a Ford.
  • lisaholbernlisaholbern Member Posts: 4
    General Motors sent a rep from their esis(?) department, after he plugged in to the computer of the truck he said, that when the truck gets a little chatter -like driving on a bumpy road- the computer tellls the truck that it is rolling over causing the air bags to deploy. HORRIBLE COMPANY it took an electrical fire, 2 air bag deployments, a lemon law lawyer and 7 months before they would take back a truck they knew was defective. :lemon:
  • mjsellersmjsellers Member Posts: 9
    I first noticed problems when my keyless remote would unlock all my other doors but the drivers side door. Then the radio started playing funny (like it's in a tunnel), my cruise control won't work and my passenger power windows won't roll down unless I use the front driver side buttons. I have searched the forum and found nothing. Has anyone else had this problem or can someone give me suggestions on what to do? Thanks.
  • 1500medinaoh1500medinaoh Member Posts: 2
    Intermittent problem on my 2009 Chevy 1500 Crew Cab. While driving, suddenly get a Stabilator Trak Off message followed by a surge in RPM and numerous audible dings and warning lights on the dashboard. This goes on for approximately 10-15 seconds then everything appears to go back to normal. Then every few minutes, additional audible dings and warning lights go on and off for a few seconds. When the truck is stopped and turned off ALL electric is GONE...Turning the key has no effect...no interior lights, no radio, no fan, nothing. Moving the postive battery cable resets the computer and then everything appears to go back to normal. This problem has occured randomly 3 times in the last two months but there is no specific way to make it occur.

After resetting the battery cable, I took the truck to a dealer. They ran diagnostics and found no errors, so the computer is resetting and clearing the memory of any issues. Dealer asked me to bring it back when it occurs and have them run diagnostics before shutting off engine. Unfortunately, it has only occured during off hours when the Dealer is closed. This time I left it at the Dealer in the Electric Dead state and will see if they find anything.

Based on the numerous posts on this forum, it is obvious there is a serious design or production flaw in the Silverado/Sierra line. If you have experienced somthing similar to this problem, please let me know if a Dealer was able to correct the problem.

Thanks
  • jgagnonjgagnon Member Posts: 1
    1500medinaoh,
    I had the exact same issues right down to the complete electrical failure after a shutdown.
    I first started noticing a slight flicker in the lights at night, but chalked it up to the
    kicking on. This was quickly followed by the radio time resting but none of the presents. I had the alligator checked and replaced the battery. The issue seemed to go away for a couple of months and then suddenly the brights issue would go on and off. The ignition chime would stay on when the key was removed. The doors would lock and unlock, the passenger seat airbag sensor would randomly go on and off. The traction control would cycle.....and now suddenly complete power failures at the most opportune times.I have a 2007 GMC Sierra Crew Cab TEXAS edition with around 60K miles.
    Good morning 1500medinaoh,

We see that you currently have your Silverado in at the dealership; if you would like for us to check into the progress of the repairs please email us the following information to get a Service Request going at [email protected]: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage (approximate works fine), and the name of your dealership.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
    Good morning jgagnon,

We're sorry that you're having these difficulties with your electrical system in your Sierra. If we can check into this further with your servicing dealership, please send us the following information via email so we can get a Service Request set up: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership. We can be reached at [email protected]

• 1500medinaoh1500medinaoh Member Posts: 2
    Sarah

Thank you for following up. Please provide an email address where I can send this information.
    You're welcome! We can be contacted at [email protected]

• ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    gmcustsvcsarah, I recently sent an e-mail to [email protected] regarding a similar issue as posted by the others with these random electrical problems on a '07 Silverado Crewcab 1500, have you seen the message yet.
    ?
    Good morning,

My coworker Christina answers inbound emails - have you heard back from her? If not, I will check with her to see if it came through; you may want to try resending. I apologize for the delay!

• robertreed1robertreed1 Member Posts: 1
    I just got a 2008 chevy silverado crew cab and I am having the same. I was wondering if you ever found out what the problem was and what the solution is. I would really appreciate your help.

Thank you for your time,
    Robert Reed
  • mjsellersmjsellers Member Posts: 9
    Our issue was the window switch that went out. We had to replace 2 switches and the cruise control relay switch. Total out of pocket was much less than we thought since it was only the switches that needed to replaced vs window motors.
  • johnsavedjohnsaved Member Posts: 7
    I have an "08 GMC Sierra 3500 and my ghost turned out to be a loose ground on the frame under the driver's seat. There are several grounds attached to the frame. If your truck spends any time in the cold climate, I am sure that you have noticed rust on the frame. GM's solution for corrosion control was to have the frames dipped in some sort of wax instead of painting them like the rest of the world. As soon as a single drop of water gets behind this wax it is all over and the wax starts to literally peel off. When GM installed the grounds to the frame they never cleaned the connection point off and the grounds were screwed on top of the wax. This works for a little while but once water gets behind that little 10mm bolt and freezes a couple of times, the wax and the bolt are loosened and the grounding point is compromised. You would think that they would have a service bulletin on this by now. You would also think that GM would have gotten away from those waxed frames by I just took a look at a 2012 and yep, wax frame that was already rusting. Reminds me of the early 70's. Check all of your ground points. Loose grounds drive the ECM's bonkers.
  • thegiver61thegiver61 Member Posts: 1
    I have had this happen 2 times now. After driving my 2008 GMC 4x4 the indicator for the shifter keeps loosing P,R,N 1,2,3 and all the lines under them ------- it starts off with one disappearing then one by one they disappear. until they are all gone. Then all of a sudden they are all back just like nothing happened
    Hello thegiver61,

If you decide to get this checked out by a GM dealership and wanted for us to follow up on that appointment with them, please contact us at [email protected] (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, the name of your dealership, and a summary of the situation).

• cjsm1982cjsm1982 Member Posts: 1
    have seen this post, or something like it and was wondering of anyone ever figured out a fix.. I have 2010 Silverado 2500HD - like the truck, but after three scary experiences I am loosing the faith..
    Good morning cjsm1982,

We're sorry to hear that you are not feeling confident in your truck. If you would like for us to follow up on this with your involved dealership, please contact us via email at [email protected] (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, a summary of the situation, and the name of your involved dealership).

• pcampbell5pcampbell5 Member Posts: 1
    I rebuilt a 2002 and it fired right up...no ignition timing needed, but im no mechanic...that same truck is forgetting the key occasionally and I have to train the key to the truck for ten minutes before it knows it not being stolen and will allow it to run. After u attempt to start the truck leave the key in the on position and if the diagnostic screen on the dash flashes the security light at u then back to the battery light leave it on for ten minutes until the security light is no longer flashing then turn off and retry...sometimes it has taken two to three times of doing that then all the sudden it will fire right up and no problems untill that sob forgets again...have no idea what keeps cusing this to mine... good luck maybe this will help u
  • dbvzdbvz Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone resolved the electrical "Gremlin" as described in post #556? I have experienced this and it is quite frightening while driving. Called my local dealership and he said he had never heard of anything like that happening. Don't want to waste a bunch of money there if they have no idea what is going on. Seriously considering a trip to my local Ford dealership for a trade. What a shame, I really like my Silverado.
    There was a guy on here that documented similar problems on youtube and it was scary. He apparently got some deal from GM and the youtube video was erased. MY GM truck lost brakes early in life due to brake lines that rotted out in less than 4 years. Endless warranty issues and I was nearly always greeted with the "deer in the headlights" look at my dealer, but at least they fixed at 1-3 warranty items at nearly every oil change ( several repeats in 3 years) . I know of many accounts of the early failing brakes, and in fact it was investigated by NHTSA, only to see the case suddenly closed. GM Customer Service kindly contacted me on this board, only to tell me, 'sorry, we know nothing about those brake line that burst early in life' (many accounts on the internet though). After 35 years, I bought a Ford. You will be glad you did. Had a warranty issue, no deer in the headlights look, they just fixed it.
  • sarahc7sarahc7 Member Posts: 3
    I had the same issue with my "07 Silverado 1500 as well a couple months ago. It reminded me of a cold start on an old pickup. I had to attempt to turn the engine 3 times for it to start. I knew it was not a battery/alternator issue because I had power, but it just did not want to turn over. I told my husband about it and he did not seem concerned as it has never happened before or since, but there are many other issues with this truck that I have experienced and have read about on this forum. It almost seems worth it to look into trading it in before it goes kaput on me.
  • tracyvttracyvt Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2013
    Sarah,

Can you please assist me, as well? I am having the same issues with the ABS and Parking Brake lights on my 2000 Silverado 1500, 5.3L V-8 Z71. It has 181,000 miles on it. I can email you the VIN. Thanks so much!
    I have read in the forum about other owners having the shifting issue and the bump after braking. Has anyone found or recieved a resolution to those? My shifting issue has come up very recently and it is during upshift instead of down shift. It is not really a slip, but more of it putting itself in neutral. The bump does not bother me, but it concerns me if is something that needs to be replaced as mentioned before about a selanoid or some time of slip yoke(?).
    Also, I have experienced an issue with my interior electrical system that coincides with the weather. I have been told to check the fuses, but honestly I have yet to do so as I cannot locate the fuse box in the new vehicles ( I am used to the old fords). Anyway, the speakers fade in and out during good weather and will alternate between front and back. However, if it is below 65 degrees or raining, only one speaker works. I have tried adjusting the settings on the radio, turning off bass, raising/lowering treble, going between F/B and L/R, etc. Those appear to have no affect on whether or not they will work. On a good weather day, they work fine. This is minor and trivial, however it does affect the turn signal sound. I have checked to make sure they work, and they do. So, at this point I am stumped. I luckily have not had any problems with my indicator lights, tachometer, speedometer, locks, or any of the other ghost electrical problems, but am curious to know whether the poster that had the ground issue under the seat had anything similar going on before he resolved his ghost problems. Oddly enough, I had a 2008 Cobalt that had the same interior electrical issue as this truck. I was never able to have it looked at or resolved, as it was totalled in 2011. I had previously wondered if it was a issue with condensation getting in the wiring harness or connections. If anyone has any ideas or input, I would love to speak with you.
    If you haven't already, send your information over and we can take a look. However, given the age and mileage of the vehicle, I cannot guarantee we'll be able to assist.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    sarahc7,

Let us know if you ever head to a dealership to get these concerns checked into! We're available to work with you through that process if you like, and can be reached at [email protected] (include your name and contact information as well as the last 8 digits of your VIN and a summary of the situation).

Thanks Sarah. I am going to try adding some fluid to transmission it was a bit low. I want to see if that will help the slipping, but I don't know about anything else. I will let you know though if we do. Thanks again.
    Sarah
  • chevyaticchevyatic Member Posts: 1
    If I am driving with the heater on I can't adjust the temperature it stays hot, if I switch it over to A/C it won't change unless I kill the truck and restart then 90% of the time it will go to A/C, but it won't go back to heat unless I do the same of killing the truck and then restarting? Where do I begin my search for a cure?
  • kimalbertakimalberta Member Posts: 1
    Had electrical fire in 2011 Chevrolet Silverado. Dealer says wiring harness fire. Anyone else heard of this or had happen
    kimalberta,
    Are you already in contact with Customer Service about this issue?
  • westminsterflywestminsterfly Member Posts: 1
    Hey there,

I'm not sure if it is the same thing but i had my Chevy HHR catch on fire due to a short in the electrical system in the car. I was in the car and the whole front dashboard was melted. Needless to say the car was totaled about ten months old and 4,500 miles on it. Chevy refused to comment to me or help out on the car even though they were the ones who determined they were the cause. Gotta love fortune 500 companies in america if i were you sell the truck ASAP before it traps you inside in fire.
    This is going back a ways, but just in case it helps. My 03 Sierra , had some high/low voltage charging issues while still under warranty. First they replaced the alternator. Soon afterwards the voltage went wild, swinging back and forth between like 10 volts to 19 volts. Got it into the dealer on time before anything blew and they said there were issues with that part of the wiring harness. The way my voltage was swinging, I could have easily seen that overload the wiring, blowing filaments, etc. Replacing it did fix that problem, though I did go through another alternator about 3yrs later under 60,000 miles.

Is GM covering the damages under warranty? It would be good to get a sound explanation as to the cause, so the new harness does not have the same problem. I had several other parts that failed under warranty repeatedly, leading to me to believe there was a design flaw that never was corrected. That becomes a real problem for reliability, but fires are in a different category. If you do not get a clear answer, consider reporting it to the NHTSA, as this is what many had to to do with early rotting brake lines in '03 and '04, causing sudden loss of brakes in 4 yr old trucks.
    westminsterfly,
    Did you ever have any sort of file opened with us on this incident? Please let me know if we can check into anything further.
  • ryan2274ryan2274 Member Posts: 2
    I'm dealing with the same problem. I have a 2007 1/2 ton GMC Sierra w/the VortecMax(6.0). Started having minor issues just like yours about a year ago but truck always restarted. Went to a local Chevy dealer and they said it was a ground. Truck ran fine for a while then slowly started doing the same thing until truck wouldn't start. Turn the key and lights(interior and exterior), radio, windows and locks, fuel pump, and the lights where the gauges are(DIC) would all work. I could also shift into gear. Unfortunetly the none of the gauges(fuel, oil, temp etc.) would not work and could not start the truck. Bought a new battery, still nothing. Had a local mechanic(non dealer garage) check every fuse, found nothing. After 3 days and him arguing with the Chevy dealership, he traced the problem to be in the BCM. So with the new battery installed he took his personal computer and cleared the codes. Then he went through a BCM restart. And that consist of turning key on waiting 14 minutes, taking key out(very important, take key out). He got this info from a friend in Texas, and i may not have all the steps correct. I will get back to you on this. Did this process 3 times and truck has run perfect every since. Truck will run normal until the battery runs down(which I know eventually will in time) or I have to disconnect a the battery cables(which I know I will at some point in the future). Long story short, truck will run as intended until one of the two happens. This is a temp fix, guess I just need to replace the BCM. Don't know what caused this to happen, wish I did. Sad thing is the Chevy garage is just gonna temp fix it for ya and send you on your merry way, and of course charge you, and of course not tell you anything so you can come back and spend some more of your hard earned money. Hope this helps and if you have any updates let me know.